Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

LEADER, ADAM H.

p. 594

Surnames: LEADER, HERB, HOMAN, ROLAND, FISHER

Adam H. Leader, one of Reading's successful business men, has been prominent in public life as well, having in 1896 become city comptroller, and later mayor. He was born March 22, 1867, in Reading, son of Jacob and Sarah (Herb) Leader.

Jacob Leader, grandfather of Adam H., was born in Montgomery county, Pa, whence he removed to Bern township, Berks county, and later to Reading, where he died.

Jacob Leader, son of Jacob, was born in Bern township in 1838, and in 1850 located in Reading, where the rest of his life was spent at the molder's trade. He was a stanch Republican, but never cared for public office. His religious belief was that of the Covenant Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was a trustee. Mr. Leader married Sarah Herb, born in 1840, and four children were born to this union, namely: Adam H.; Sadie M., m. to Irwin B. Homan, of Reading; and J. Elmer and Harry R., machinists of Reading.

Adam H. Leader received his education in the public and high schools of Reading, graduating in 1884 from the latter at the age of seventeen years. He learned surveying, and was engaged therein for about seven years, at the end of which time he entered the real estate field, in which he has been eminently successful. In 1889 Mr. Leader formed a partnership with Mr. H. H. Roland, and continued this business for a period of twelve years.

Mr. Leader's political affiliations are with the Republican party, in the ranks of which he has been a stanch and steady standard bearer. In 1893 he was elected to the office of city assessor for a term of three years, and he was subsequently placed in charge of the finances of the city, being elected to the position of comptroller, for also one term of three years.

In 1899 he was elected mayor of the city of Reading, and served a full term, until April, 1902, after which he entered the contracting field, his principal business being municipal work such as street paving and the construction of sewers and filtration plants, and he is now building a water filtering plant (known as the Burkhart plant) for the city of Reading. Fraternally Mr. Leader is connected with Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M., and Progressive Lodge, I. O. O. F.

On June 23, 1898, Mr. Leader married Mary K. Fisher, daughter of Wellington H. and Caroline Fisher, of Reading.


LEAVER, EFFINGER W.

p. 1237

Surnames: LEAVER, WEIDNER, L?ER, KERLIN, LEOPOLD, ALLBRIGHT, BRUNNER, WILL, FRITZ, LANDIS, RIEGNER, JOHNSON, HUNTER, SMITH, WAGNER, DRY, MORY, RITTER

Effinger W. Leaver, lumber, coal, flour, feed and hardware merchant at Boyertown, Pa., was born Sept. 5, 1855, in Earl township Berks Co., Pa., a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Weidner) Leaver.

The Leaver family is of Germanic extraction and established in Douglass township, Berks Co., Pa., by Jacob L, who had three sons. Johannes or John Leaver, the grandfather of Effinger W., was born Dec. 26, 1778, and died Jan. 19, 1846, aged sixty-seven years, twenty-three days. He is buried at Boyertown and the name on his tombstone is written Johannes L. He owned a small tract of land in Douglass township and worked at his trade, weaving. In March, 1803, he married Catherine Kerlin, daughter of Samuel and Mary Kerlin, born Jan. 11, 1784, died Nov. 7, 1864, aged eighty years, ten months, twenty-six days. The inscription on the tombstone of herself and husband, in the Boyertown cemetery, states that they had two sons and seven daughters. The names of eight children are appended: Lydia, m. Charles Leopold; Sarah, m. Jacob Allbright; Mary, m. Samuel Brunner; Samuel; John, who lived and died in Ohio; Kate, m. Elias Will of Washington township; Hettie, m. Levi Fritz; and Elizabeth, who died unmarried. All of the above family are deceased with the exception of Kate, who survives (1908) aged eighty-four years.

Samuel Leaver was born Dec. 21, 1810 in Douglass township, Berks Co., Pa., and died at Boyertown, on Christmas morning, 1881, aged seventy-one years, four days. His remains rest in Fairview Cemetery, Boyertown. For a number of years he engaged in mercantile pursuits at New Berlinville and he operated the lumber yard at Boyertown that is now conducted by his sons. He was a successful business man and a respected member of his community. In addition to his own home he owned other real estate at Boyertown. In religious faith he was a Lutheran and he brought his family up under strict discipline. In politics a Democrat, he was frequently elected by that party to local offices and served with intelligence and honesty.

Samuel Leaver was married (first) to Elizabeth Weidner, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Landis) Weidner, of Earl township. She was born Nov. 13, 1820, and died in November, 1864, aged forty-four years. They had the following children: Mary m. Frank G. Riegner, of Reading; Kate, who resides with her sister Emma at Boyertown; Henry, deceased; Jacob, who lives at Roxboro, Pa.; Ellen, who perished in the Boyertown fire, Jan. 13, 1908, m. Ephraim B. Johnson; Emma; Effinger W.; John, who resides at Boyertown; Clara, a popular and efficient teacher, who perished in the holocaust at Boyertown, Jan. 13, 1908; and Laura, m. George Z. Hunter, a teacher residing at Ephrata. Mr. Leaver was married (second) to Mrs. Anna (Smith) Wagner, and they had one daughter, Anna, wife of John Dry, residing at Boyertown.

Effinger W. Leaver was given good educational advantages and early became a helper to his father in his store and in 1883 he took charge of the business, having been trained in it from the age of fifteen years. He gives employment to seven people and has two teams in use in his coal industry and one in his lumber business. His yards are conveniently located close to the railroad station, covering almost a block. He has an interest n other concerns and is a director in the Union Manufacturing Company of Boyertown.

In 1879 Mr. Leaver was married to Sarah Mory, daughter of Aaron Mory, a resident of Boyertown. Mr. And Mrs. Leaver had three children born to them, namely: Warren, serving as clerk, treasurer and chief bookkeeper in the casket factory, who married Lizzie Ritter and has two children, Marguerite and Carrol; Ruth' and Bessie E. With his family, Mr. Leaver is a member of St. John's Lutheran Church and is very active in its affairs..

In his political views Mr. Leaver belongs to the old Democracy. He has frequently been elected to public office at Boyertown, has served the borough as auditor and in 1903 he was elected to the school board, on which he is still servicing. He is a representative citizen of his section.


LECHNER FAMILY

p 1297

Surnames: LECHNER, SHIRLEY, BUCK, BAER, DARRAH, LONG, CLAUSER, BOWMAN, BRUMBACH, SCHAEFFER, HAAS, MERKEL, DRUMHELLER, GRIESEMER, YAHN, SPATZ, RAHN, PATT, GRAVER

Lechner. (1) The first member of the Lechner family in this country was a native of Germany, and on coming to Pennsylvania settled in Macungie township, Lehigh county. As far as known he had but two sons, George and one who settled in Ohio.

(II) George Lechner came to Berks county, locating in the vicinity of Monocacy, but later removed to Douglass township, near Boyertown, He was a skilled veterinarian, whose services were in demand among farmers within a radius of many miles, in this connection becoming particularly well known. His death occurred before the Civil war, when he was eighty-two years of age. He is buried at Amityville. He married Elizabeth Shirley, who died when over seventy, and they had children as follow: Harriet m. Samuel Buck; Sarah m. David Baer; William was of Shanesville; Abraham died in Schuylkill county, June 26, 1898; Charles, the only one now surviving, lives with his son-in-law, Daniel A. Darrah, at No. 422 South Tenth street, Reading; and Amelia died young.

(III) William Lechner, father of Wallace L. Lechner, of Oley township, and son of George, was born in Lower Berks county in 1817, and died in 1890. He was a farmer and later a cattle dealer, residing at Shanesville, where he owned property and was a prominent man. There he died, and he is buried at Hillchurch. For a quarter of a century he served as constable. His wife was Matilda Long, daughter of Peter and Hannah (Clauser) Long, of Earl township, and their children were: Amelia m. Samuel Bowman; Elizabeth m. William Brumbach; Harrison died after his marriage to Sophia Brumbach, who is now deceased; and Wallace L.

(IV) Wallace L. Lechner was born in Douglass township, this county, March 31, 1850. Reared on a farm, He engaged in farming, but also learned cigar-making, at which he worked for a year. His next work was tending bar at Gilbertsville, where he was employed for three years, and at Shanesville for two years in the same capacity. Then he engaged in business as a huckster, for six years buying produce from the farmers and selling it to Philadelphia dealers. While engaged in this line he was associated with his brother Harrison, and they made the trip to Philadelphia once a week. In 1881 Mr. Lechner removed to his present home, and has since operated his excellent farm of 114 acres, which is in good condition. His farm buildings have the distinction of being decorated with picture of animals. He has quite a dairy business, having twenty-two cows, and shipping his milk to a nearby creamery. His farm stock is very valuable and he is making a great success of his agricultural work.

Mr. Lechner is a Republican in politics, and has been school director of Oley township for six years. He is a member of the P. O. S. of A. and of the K. G. E., belonging to the Camp and Castle at Manatawny. He and his family are members of the Oley Lutheran Church.

The first wife of Mr. Lechner was Kate Schaeffer, a daughter of George Schaeffer, and she died at the age of twenty-eight, leaving these children: Warren, of Shanesville; Frank, of Friedensburg; and Wilson of Boyertown.

In 1882 Mr. Lechner was married to Fannie Haas, daughter of Nathan and Esther (Merkel) Haas, of Mertztown. Their children are: Samuel, living at home, m. Katie Drumheller, and has one daughter, Bertha; Hannah m. Charles Griesemer, and resides at Reading; and Charles, unmarried, at home.

(III) Charles Lechner, son of George, and father of Hamlin Y. Lechner, was born June 26, 1830, in Earl township, Berks county, and there owned a small farm, which he cultivated during his active years. He now lives retired at Reading with his son-in-law, Daniel A. Darrah, as previously mentioned. Mr. Lechner married Susan Yahn, who was born Feb. 15,1831, and died Aug. 1, 1887; she is buried at Fairview cemetery, Boyertown. Mr. and Mrs. Lechner had the following children: Abraham never married and his whereabouts unknown; Alice, born in 1857, died in 1881; Hamlin Y.; Dr. Ralph (deceased) lived at Boyertown; Dr. Leroy lives at Bechtelsville; Laura died young; and a daughter died in infancy.

(IV) Hamlin Y. Lechner, who has been engaged in the butcher business at Boyertown form early manhood, was born in Earl township Nov. 22, 1860. As he began to learn his trade when fourteen years old he may truthfully be called a self-made man, for much of his education has been acquired through his own efforts. He served his apprenticeship under George K. Spatz, who was his employer for seven years before they became partners, under the name of Spatz & Lechner. This connection lasted for sixteen years, since which time Mr. Lechner has been the sole owner of this well established business. Mr. Lechner commands an extensive trade, killing from twenty to thirty head of cattle weekly, and besides this, during the winter season, from thirty to forty hogs a week. Three teams are kept constantly busy, the patronage extending over a large territory outside of Boyertown as well as in the borough. Mr. Lechner has six regular employees. His shop and slaughter -house are completely equipped with modern butchering appliances of all kinds necessary for a business of this size, for Mr. Lechner is progressive and attentive to the needs of his establishment, which is well kept up in every respect. He had little to commence life with , but he has been persevering and industrious, and deserves the place he has won among the substantial business men of Boyertown. When he began to prosper he was anxious to have his family share with him the benefits of his thrift, and he provided funds for the education of his two younger brothers, both of whom became professional men. He has also been the main support of his aged father, and he is a man universally respected for his honor and sincerity to all the relations of life.

In 1880 Mr. Lechner married Miss Ella Rahn, daughter of Daniel and Mary Ann (Patt) Rahn, of Perkiomen, Montgomery Co., Pa., and four children have been born this union, as follow: (1) Wayne R. is a graduate of Boyertown high school and has attended State College, having prepared to follow the profession of chemist. However, he assists his father with the clerical work of the business. (2) Mabel R. became the wife of John Graver, who on the night of Jan. 13, 1908, when the terrible Opera House catastrophe at Boyertown took place, was killed on his way to the fire, the fire engine running over him. He left two young sons, William and John and since his death Mrs. Graver has made her home with her parents. (3) Clyde was five years old at the time of his death. (4) Charles died when nine months old.

Mr. Lechner and his family are members of St. John's Lutheran church, to which he gives a generous support, being in fact liberal to all church enterprises, regardless of denomination. His benevolent disposition was very practically shown at the time of the disastrous Opera House fire, when he gave freely to the needy and assisted in every possible manner in the relief work.


LECHNER, RICHARD

p. 882

Surnames: LECHNER, WECHLEIM, SPYGER, WERHEIM, ECKHERT, STUPP, REITH, ILLING, HAIN, HIMMELBERGER, GOCKLEY, McLAUGHLIN, THUMMEL, PENN, OAKS, CURTIN, GUTHART, DEPPEN

Richard Lechner, whose excellent farm of 113 acres is in Marion township, Berks, county, is a representative of that industrious German element that has placed Pennsylvania in the front rank of the prosperous States of the nation. His birth occurred on his present farm Dec. 9, 1834.

John George Lechner, the emigrant ancestor of the family, was born in Anspach, Germany, March 28, 1704 (old style), son of Peter and Sibilla Lechner. Late in 1731, he sailed from Rotterdam, Holland, on the "Adventurer," and he landed in New York in the early days of 1732. He came to Pennsylvania, and located near Reed's Church, on the Tulpehocken and Millback creeks, purchasing a large tract of land. He died in 1784. He married Margaretta Wechleim , and both became members of the Second Lutheran Church in 1743. Their children were: John, who died young; and George, whose wife was Mary Elizabeth.

The latter George Lechner, son of John George Lechner and Margaretta, was a soldier in the Revolution, and did service in the trying campaign around Philadelphia and Valley Forge in the years 1777-78. He belonged to, and was quartermaster of, the 5th Battalion, composed of eight companies and 442 men, mostly from the Tulpehocken district, now Marion township, of which regiment Henry Spyger was colonel. George Lechner and his wife, Mary Elizabeth, became the parents of three children: George Nickolas, who had a son John George; John; and Christopher.

Christopher Lechner, son of George, married Catharine Werheim, and four children were born to them: David, who married Elizabeth Eckhert and had a daughter Eliza (who married William Stupp); Elizabeth, who married Michael Reith, and had two children, Levi and Ellen (who married A. J. Hain); Catharine L., who married David Himmelberger and had a son Adam (of Reading); and John George.

John George Lechner, son of Christopher, married Catharine Reith , daughter of Stoffel and Catharine (Illig) Reith, of Marion township, Berks county, and granddaughter of Valentine Reith. To this union were born six children: (1) Elizabeth married Samuel D. Gockley, and their daughter Nora is a school teacher in Marion township. (2) John, a "forty-niner," died in California soon after his arrival there. (3) George W. also went to California in 1849, but returned and later went to Denver, Colo., his present home, and engaged as a civil and mining engineer. He married a Miss McLaughlin, now deceased, and had four children, Laura, Richard, Kate and Dolly. (4) Richard. (5) Mary Ann died young. (6) Franklin C. went to South Carolina, where he is a teller in a bank and engaged in the raising of tobacco and grapes. He married a Miss Thummel and had one daughter, Bertha. The father of these children was an active Republican, and he held a number of minor offices.

Richard Lechner, son of John George, received a good education in Stouchsburg Academy, and after leaving school taught twelve winter terms in Lebanon and Berks counties, and then began farming on the old homestead.

This consists of 113 acres, which were bought by John George, the emigrant, and George Lechner, his son, and originally were the property of Thomas and Richard Penn. Eighty-seven acres of this land have been in the Lechner family for nearly a century and a half, having passed through five generations of Lechners, namely: John George, the emigrant; George, the son; Christopher, son of George; John George, son of Christopher; and Richard, son of latter and present owner. The house was built in 1775. The early Lechners built a woolen carding mill, the first mill of any kind in Marion township. They also had an oil mill in 1834. Mr. Richard Lechner owns a large cider press, and has done a great deal of custom work, frequently having made over one hundred barrels of cider a day. He came into possession of his property after the death of his parents. Besides his farming he has had other business interest. For three years he was a director of the Sinking Spring Fire Insurance Company, and was recently again elected to that office to serve for three years, from Jan. 1, 1909. In 1905 he was its president, and at present (1908) is its collector.

Mr. Lechner's religious belief, like that of his progenitors, was of the Lutheran persuasion. He has served a deacon and elder in Christ Lutheran Church, near Stouchsburg, but latterly, though still a nominal member, has become a confirmed liberal in his religious views-an evolutionist. He does not believe that the Bible writers were divinely inspired in their erroneous cosmogonical statements, where they conflict with demonstrated science and astronomy and the present enlightened higher criticism on historical and traditional religion. In political sentiment he is a Republican, and has been inspector of elections and for many years chairman of the township committee. During the Civil war he became a member of the State Guard, and rode his own horse to Chambersburg, where the Guard remained until the emergency was apparently over. They then returned home, and the attack occurred on Chambersburg the following week. During Lee's invasion Mr. Lechner enlisted at Harrisburg, becoming second lieutenant in Company H, 31st P. V. I. (Capt. William A. C. Oaks), and was mustered into the United States service under the proclamation of the President June 15, 1863 (General Orders No. 43). His commission was signed by Gov. Andrew G. Curtin, and is dated June 18, 1863. He was mustered out Aug. 7, 1863. Mr. Lechner is the owner of a grandfather's clock, made by Jacob Guthart, of Lebanon, Mass. He has a secretary made about 1775, and ornamented with inlaid wood; and also an old corner closet, for which he has been offered a large sum. Fraternally Mr. Lechner is a Mason, being past master of Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F. & A. M., of Womelsdorf; he is also past noble grand of Golden Rule Lodge, No. 159, I. O., O., F., of Womelsdorf.

Mr. Lechner married Lizzie Deppen, born in Womelsdorf, Jan. 22, 1842, daughter of Adam Deppen (born in Womelsdorf Jan. 20, 1817 , died 1845), a shoemaker and farmer. To this union came children as follows: George, born Dec. 14, 1865, is a photographer and farmer in Marion township; Harvey, born Oct. 26, 1870, died March 29, 1871; Maud, born March 27, 1874, resides at home; Paul, born Oct. 27, 1875, died March 6, 1876; Charles, born April 26, 1877, is at home; and Ella, born Aug. 7, 1883, died Feb. 25, 1892.


LEEDOM, JOHN

p. 991

Surnames: LEEDOM, STERLING, EVANS, WRIGHT, SHIREY, KANCHER, PIERCE

John Leedom, for a number of years a leading citizen of Reading, Pa., engaged in pattern-making, was born at Jamisons Corners, Bucks Co., Pa., in 1812, son of John Leedom and his wife (whose maiden name was Sterling).

John Leedom learned his trade in Bucks county, where he worked until 1837, and in this year he located in Reading, making the trip in a wagon. He entered into a business partnership with a Mr. Spencer, under the firm name of Spencer & Leedom, manufacturing farming implements and threshing machines, and t hey also conducted a branch at Lebanon, Pa. The business was carried on until the panic of 1842-47, when they suspended business. From that time until within two years of his death, in 1897, Mr. Leedom worked at his trade of pattern maker, having charge of the Scott Foundry pattern department. During the Civil war he drafted and made plans for cannons used in that struggle for the firm of Seyfert, McManus & Co. He was a very fine mechanic, and sample of his handiwork may be seen in the iron fence surrounding the Charles Evans cemetery.

Mr. Leedom married Louisa A. Wright, daughter of George Wright, of Bustleton, Pa., and to this union there were born: Emma m. David Shirey; George W. Was for some time a clerk in the First National Bank of Reading; John N. M.; Susan J. m. John R. Kancher, at one time cashier of the First National Bank; Adelaide, deceased m. Howard Pierce; Edward J. is deceased; Ellen M. Was a teacher in the primary department of the public schools; Howard M. Is deceased; and Clara E. In religious connection Mr. Leedom was a member of St. Peter's Methodist Church, and a leader of the choir there for many years.

George W. Leedom first enlisted in the three months' service in the Civil War, becoming a member of Company G, 1st Pa. V. I., and after an honorable discharge, re-enlisted in Company G, 93rd Pa. V. I. After his second discharge he again enlisted in the 176th regiment, Hospital Corps, serving until the regiment was mustered out. He again enlisted in the 5th U. S. Vet. Vol. Inf., and was Hospital Steward of the regiment, serving his time, and being honorably discharged at the close of the war. He resides at No. 1567 Mineral Spring Road, Reading.


LEFEVER, LEVI E.

p. 380

Surnames: LEFEVER, ESBACH, KELLER, SCHMEHL, REAMINGER, HOFFMAN, GERHART, MOYER, HERBST, RITTER, LEINBACH

Levi E. Lefever, chief burgess of the borough of Boyertown, who since 1907, has resided in his comfortable and attractive home at No. 112 Reading avenue, has been long identified with the agricultural and business interests of this section of Berks county. He is a representative of one of the old established families, and was born April 5, 1857, in this borough, son of William and Rachel (Esbach) Lefever.

Anthony Lefever, great-grandfather of Levi E., was born May 12, 1767, and died May 26, 1832, aged sixty-five years, and fourteen days. The family records tell that his wife was accidentally burned to death from sparks from the old-fashioned fireplace. Their children were: Anthony, Levi, Mrs. Charles Keller and Mrs. Jonas Schmehl, all of whom reared families of their own.

Levi Lefever, son of Anthony and grandfather of Levi E., was born June 4, 1795, and died an accidental death, Dec. 27, 1832, aged thirty-seven years, six months, twenty-three days and was buried at Pricetown, Berks Co., Pa. His wife Mary, born Aug. 6, 1796, died Sept. 10, 1839. He was a tanner and owned and conducted a business of this kind at Pricetown, where he had other property. He had two sons: William and Levi H.

William Lefever, father of Levi E., was born Oct. 26, 1830, at Pricetown, Pa., and resides at Sassamansville, in Douglass township, Montgomery Co., Pa., a well preserved man. In his early years he worked as a stone mason, later coming to Boyertown, where he conducted a farm for his father-in-law, Joseph Esbach, for a time. He afterward entered into partnership with his brother. He afterward entered into partnership with his brother, Levi H. Lefever, and they conducted a general store at Sassamansville for a number of years, after which they sold out, Levi H. coming to Boyertown, where he conducts a general store, but William remained at the old place and continued storekeeping for a time, and then began cigar manufacturing together with farming. He did a large business and continued active in it until 1905, when he retired. He married Rachel Esbach, and to them were born twelve children, as follows: Minerva m. John Reaminger, of Boyertown; Levi E.; Mary m. Harry Hoffman, of Reading; Irwin, deceased, m. Maria Gerhart, and they had three children, Eaton, John and Lottie; Amandus resides at East Greenville, Pa.; Amanda m. Rev. Harrison Moyer, a minister in Carbon county; Kate m. Rev. Amandus Herbst, of York county, Pa.; Dr. Rufus E. is engaged in medical practice in Reading; Emma died young; and three died in infancy. Mr. Lefever has long been a leading citizen of his community, and he has been frequently appointed administrator to settle up estates.

Levi E. Lefever attended the public schools of Boyertown and Mount Pleasant Seminary, and when sixteen years of age learned the tinsmith's trade, serving an apprenticeship of four years. He worked at this trade at Boyertown until 1878, and then embarked in a business of his own as a tinsmith and handler of stoves, etc., which he continued for twenty-eight years. His whole attention, however, was not claimed by this enterprise for he owns a fine farm of ninety-nine acres, situated in Earl township, three and one-half miles northeast of Boyertown, the work on which he superintends personally. He has it well stocked and it is a remunerative piece of property. In 1905 he erected the present frame house which replaced a log house that had stood since the days of the Revolutionary War. Mr. Lefever is treasurer of the Electric Light Company, of which he was one of the organizers and which was chartered in July, 1908. Since 1906 he has been president of the Keystone Fire Insurance Company and to al these important business interests he gives due attention.

In 1878, Mr. Lefever was married to Rosa Ann Ritter, daughter of Lewis Ritter, of Colebrookdale township, and to this marriage have been born the following children: Charles, resides at Boyertown; Addie M., who perished in the Boyertown fire, Jan. 13, 1908, was the beloved wife of Harry Leinbach, and she left two children, Florence and Paul; Edgar resides at Boyertown; Maggie also perished in the Boyertown disaster, aged twenty-one years; Joseph died in 1904, aged twelve years; and Florence resides at home. Mr. Lefever and family are members of St. John's Lutheran Church, at Boyertown.

Mr. Lefever has been active for many years in fraternal organizations, and on various occasions has been elevated to offices of trust and responsibility in the same. He is a member of Salah Castle, No. 78, Knights of the Mystic Chain, in which he has held all the offices. Since 1900 he has been chaplain of Popodickon Tribe, No. 388, Order of Red Men, is district deputy, and has held all the offices in the organization. He is the degree master of the staff, is past grand and also degree master of Boyertown Lodge, No. 708, I. O. O. F.; and belongs also to the order of Eagles, at Pottstown, Pennsylvania.

In his political affiliations Mr. Lefever is frankly and unequivocally a Republican, and has frequently served as a delegate to county and State and conventions and for twelve years served as inspector of elections and committeeman at Boyertown. For three years he served as a school director and has always been interested in public education. When only twenty-three years old, Mr. Lefever was elected to the council and served his term of three years, and in February, 1909, was elected chief burgess for a term of three years. He stands as a representative of the best citizenship of his community.


LeFEVRE, R. E.(M. D.), p., 1377

Surnames: LeFEVRE, DENGLER

R. E. LeFevre, M. D., of Reading, was born in Montgomery county, Pa., in 1876, son of William H. LeFevre, a prominent cigar manufacturer of Montgomery county.

The Doctor spent his early school days in his native county, and in 1894 entered Ursinus College, from which he was graduated two years later, when he entered the Medical College of Philadelphia, being graduated in 1900. He at once located at Boyertown, attaining a large practice, and winning the confidence and patronage of a large number of people. In November, 1905, the Doctor located in Reading, where he is now enjoying a large and lucrative practice. He is located at No. 138 South Eighth street, where he has commodious and well-appointed offices.

Dr. LeFevre married Miss Jennie C. Dengler, daughter of William and Mary Dengler, of Birdsboro, Berks county, and they are members of the Lutheran Church. Dr. LeFevre is fraternally connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Red Men, the Odd Fellows, and the Knights of Friendship. He is a member of the Reading Medical Society, the Berks County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He is a charter member of Isaac Hiester Lodge. No. 660, F. & A. M.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:06 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.