Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

LACEY, THEODORE R.

p. 1106

Surnames: LACEY, DENGLER, MANMILLER

Theodore R. Lacey, Birdsboro, whose enterprise, industry and good business ability have won him a substantial position and comfortable competence, was born in Robeson township, Berks county, in March, 1866.

His education was limited to that he acquired in the district schools in the vicinity of his home, but his mind was quick to grasp details, and he gained a good foundation for what later knowledge was won in the hard school of experience. At the early age of eleven years, he hired out as a farm hand, and he continued at that work until he was seventeen. Coming then to Birdsboro, he clerked in a hotel for two and one-half years. At the end of that time he learned the barber's trade, and at it spent nine months, when he saw a good opening in the butcher business, and with his usual sagacity determined to engage in that line. This he did for several years with E. Dengler as a partner. After selling out his interest in the butchering business, he engaged in the livery business until 1899, when he sold out, and entered the wholesale liquor and bottling business. A natural born love for horses, however, induced him to add a livery stable, and he now has one of the best in this section of the State, with ten horses and vehicles, thoroughly up-to-date in every respect. He manufactures all kinds of carbonated beverages, employs three men, and keeps a wagon constantly on the road. His business is increasing, and success has attended his efforts.

Mr. Lacey has ever had the confidence of the people of Birdsboro. When but twenty-three years of age he was made burgess, and fulfilled the duties of that office to the satisfaction of all. In politics he is a Republican. His social connections are with the K. G. E.; P. O. S. of A.; F. O. E., of Reading; and Independent Americans. He is chief of the Birdsboro Fire Department.

In 1888 Mr. Lacey married Clara Manmiller, daughter of Samuel Manmiller, and they have had two children, Claude, and one that died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Lacey attend the Reformed Church, and are active in its work.


LADD, SAMUEL W.

p. 1152

Surnames: LADD, KINGSBURY, MEACHAM, STACEY, SHALTER, SEIDEL, OTTO, BUERMEYER, VALENTINE, LOWE

Samuel W. Ladd, who died in Reading, Pa., in 1864, was for some years engaged in a mercantile business in that city. He was born in November, 1840, in Connecticut, son of Stephen A. and Hannah (Kingsbury) Ladd, and a descendant of the English progenitor, who came from the mother country at an early day and settled in New England.

Stephen A. Ladd, father of Samuel W., was a farmer in Connecticut all of his life, and in that State he and his wife died. They were the parents of six children as follows: Annie, m. to Giles Meacham; Sarah, Sabrina, m. to a Stacey; Mary, who died single; John; and Samuel W. In religious belief the family were Congregationalists. Politically they were a family of Abolitionists, and were strongly allied with the Whig party, and later, on the organization of the Republican party, they were prominent in that organization's ranks.

Samuel W. Ladd was educated in Connecticut, and came to Reading, Pa., as the representative of an old and substantial Massachusetts insurance company. He was later engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until 1864, when his death occurred. Mr. Ladd married Amanda Shalter, daughter of Francis B. and Hannah (Seidel) Shalter, and to them were born six children: Lillie m. to John B. Otto, of Williamsport; Charles R., deceased; Hannah E., m. to Rev. F. F. Buermeyer; Evelyn E., m. to Dr. Milton H. Valentine; Annie E., deceased; Lura, m. to. Dr. John W. Lowe. In religious belief Mr. Ladd was Lutheran, to which faith Mrs. Ladd, who survived him until Jan. 29, 1909, also adhered. In politics he was a stanch Republican.


LAMM FAMILY

p. 884

Surnames: LAMM, BROSSMAN, KLOPP, ZERBE, WERNER, STAUDT, GRUVER, WENRICH, MILLER, LUDWIG, BRIGHT, KISSLING, SHOUP, GERHART, WEITZEL, FISHER, RUTH, DEPPEN, BOHN, BRENDEL, KALBACH, HIESTER, FIDLER, BRUNNER, GAUL, FEEG, MOYER, KLEE, BROWN, GEHART, SHARMAN, FREEMAN

The Lamm family, so long settled in Berks county, had its early home in Germany, but about the middle of the eighteenth century there came to America the great-great-grandfather of the brothers, Lewis F. and Charles F. Lamm, of Lower Heidelberg township. He came to Berks county, Pa., and made a home in Heidelberg township.

John Lamm, son of the emigrant ancestor, was born Dec. 1, 1759, and died Oct. 28, 1817, aged fifty-seven years, ten months, twenty-seven days. He owned a farm of 150 acres in Heidelberg township, and became one of the most influential men in that locality. He married Anna M. Brossman, born Sept. 29, 1764, died Feb. 28, 1826, aged sixty-one years, four months, twenty-nine days. Both are buried at Hain's Church in Lower Heidelberg township. Their children were: John, who retained the old home, married Catherine Klopp; Rosina married Philip Zerbe; Elizabeth married William Werner; Daniel married Catherine Staudt; Peter married Nellie Gruver; Anna Maria married John Wenrich; Benjamin; and Margaret married Henry Miller.

Benjamin Lamm, son of John and Anna M. (Brossman), was born in March, 1807. He grew to manhood on his father's farm. For a period of eighteen years he was chorister and school teacher (German) at the Little Tulpehocken Church, now located in Jefferson township. He then went to farming in North Heidelberg, where he owned 163 acres of land, and he continued there until his death, when he was sixty-one years of age. He married Lydia Ruth, daughter of Frederick and Anna M. Ludwig. Both rest in the cemetery at North Heidelberg Church. They were the parents of two sons and five daughters, as follows: Mary, who married William Bright; Joshua; Rebecca, who married Amandon Kissling; Catherine, who married Richard Shoup; Elizabeth, who married William Gerhart; James, of North Heidelberg township, who married Rebecca Weitzel; and Ellen M., wife of John W. Fisher, of Robesonia, the well-known ex-poor director.

Joshua Lamm, son of Benjamin and Lydia Ruth, was born Oct. 23, 1832, was brought up in North Heidelberg township, and carried on farming until 1870, when he moved to Robesonia. There for two years he engaged in the grain business with Samuel R. Deppen. He then purchased a farm of 187 acres in Heidelberg, and resumed farming. In 1873 he erected the present buildings on this farm, now the property of Edwin K. Bohn and divided into two tracts. This he continued until 1887, when he sold the place and retired, taking up his residence in Robesonia. He died Nov. 1, 1896, aged sixty-four years and eight days. He married Caroline Brendel, of North Heidelberg, daughter of Frederick Brendel, and by her had eight children: Lewis F.; Amanda Elizabeth, who married (first) John L. Kalbach, (second) Evan Hiester, and (third) Allison Fidler; James, who died young; Charles F.; Lizzie, who married Daniel K. Bohn, of Heidelberg; Kate Margaret and Mary Jane, both of whom died in infancy; and Emma, who married Charles Deppen, of Womelsdorf. Joshua Lamm, the father, was a school director for many years, both in Heidelberg and North Heidelberg townships, and was secretary of the board most of the time, taking a great interest in bettering educational facilities.

Lewis F. Lamm, son of Joshua and Caroline, and now a farmer in Lower Heidelberg, was born in North Heidelberg and was brought up to farming. His education was obtained in the township schools, Palatinate College and the Krumbine Academy, at Womelsdorf. He was licensed to teach by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner, and in 1873, began teaching in Heidelberg township, continuing for five consecutive terms. He next turned his attention to farming in North Heidelberg and continued there for twenty-six years on the same farm. In 1904 he purchased of the John Gaul estate the farm on which he now resides, consisting of seventy-nine acres, and he attends the Reading market once a week. He also owns a farm of 101 acres located in Jefferson township, known as the Joseph Feeg homestead, and on this in 1899 he erected a barn 40 x 80 feet; in 1895, he remodeled the house, putting the property in first-class condition. He has it rented now. While residing in North Heidelberg he served as school director for three years, and as township auditor for nine years. For several terms he was deacon and elder in North Heidelberg Church.

Mr. Lamm was married Aug. 7, 1875, to Rebecca, daughter of John and Maria Moyer, of Heidelberg township. Eight children have been born of this union: Rose Ann, who married Calvin Klee; B. Franklin, a conductor on the Reading & Womelsdorf trolley road, who married Minnie Brown, and resides at Womelsdorf; John H., who married Bessie Brossman; Charles C., a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, and for one term a teacher in Cumru township, but now a merchant in West Reading, who married Minnie Klopp; Lloyd Joshua; Alvin Lewis; Frederick Edwin; and a daughter who died in infancy.

Charles F. Lamm, son of Joshua and Caroline, now a successful farmer of Lower Heidelberg, was born in North Heidelberg, Oct, 19, 1859. He was reared on the home farm, giving his parents the benefit of his labor, until he was twenty-one. He then married and began work for himself, in 1883 settling in North Heidelberg, where he remained two years. He next tenanted for seven years in Heidelberg, after which he removed to his present farm, the property of John K. Gehart. This consists of 140 acres, and Mr. Lamm has considerable stock, and runs a fine dairy. His milk is sold at the Wernersville Milk Depot, whence it is sent to Philadelphia. He uses the best and latest improved machinery. He owns a sixty acre farm in Lower Heidelberg, which he purchased in 1901, and this, too, he cultivates, as it lies adjacent to the place on which he lives.

In politics Mr. Lamm is a Democrat, and keenly interested in the success of his party, having frequently served as delegate to county conventions under the old delegate system. For one term he filled the office of school director. He and his family are Reformed members of Hain's Church. While living in Heidelberg he was deacon and elder in St. Daniel's (Corner) Church.

In January, 1881, Mr. Lamm was united in marriage with Sallie Gaul, daughter of John Gaul and his wife Catharine (Sharman). Five children have blessed this union: Nora C., wife of Charles Freeman, a merchant of Sinking Spring; and Alice C., Ellen M., George J., and Earl F., at home.


LANDIS, HARRISON

p. 380

Surnames: LANDIS, OBERHOLTZER, SHEIP, HANGEN, MOYER, GYGER, NIGHTLINGER, MOHR, STIEFLER, HAMER, PROUTY, BECHTEL, HAMMELL, STOUDT, KNETZ

Harrison Landis, successful manufacturer of lumber and boxes at Philadelphia, was born in Washington township, Berks county, near Bally, Dec. 23, 1852. He received his preliminary education in the township school, and at Boyertown (in Mt. Pleasant Seminary and Hankey's Academy), and then attended the Mennonite Educational Institute at Wadsworth, Ohio, for two years. Upon his return home he taught public school at Niantic near by for one term, and then assisted in clerking in the country store of his uncle, Jacob Oberholtzer (which was situated on the premises adjoining his father's), for two years. He then took a regular course in the business college of Bryant & Stratton at Philadelphia, and entered the office of the paint works of Ziegler & Smith, where he was engaged as a clerk for five years; and was next in the well-known steam-shipping office of Peter Wright & Sons for three years.

With this preparation for business life, Mr. Henry H. Sheip (his brother-in-law, manufacturer of cigar-boxes since 1876) formed a partnership with him in 1881, and under the firm name of Henry H. Sheip & Co. they developed a constantly increasing trade until 1899, when they organized a corporation entitled "Henry H. Sheip Manufacturing Co." Since then, the corporation has been carried on successfully, with Mr. Landis as secretary and treasurer. They started with twenty hands, but now have over 800, notwithstanding the introduction of many costly labor-saving machines. Their annual volume of business exceeds a million and a half of dollars; and their trading relations have been developed to extend throughout the United States and into many foreign countries; and from the manufacture of cigar-boxes they have gradually branched out until their product includes small wooden boxes of every variety, veneered boxing lumber, and casing for electric wiring of buildings; they also deal in all kinds of lumber for manufacturing and building purposes. It is the only large plant of the kind at Philadelphia, and has been kept running constantly from 1881 until the present time.

In 1876 Mr. Landis was married to Emma Louisa Sheip, daughter of Levinus and Lucy Ann (Hangen) Sheip, of Bucks county, and sister of his partner in business. By her he had three children: Stanley Winfield and George Clarence (both of whom are engaged in the financial department of the works mentioned), and Mabel (m. Howard G. Moyer). His wife dying in 1883, he in 1892 married Mary A. Gyger, only child of John and Sarah (Nightlinger) Gyger of Philadelphia, by whom he has two children: Mary Ester and Mildred.

His father was George Obergoltzer Landis, retired farmer of Washington township, Berks county, who was married to Mary Mohr, daughter of Andrew Mohr of Macungie, Lehigh county, by whom he had seven children: Harrison, above mentioned; Emma; Henry m. Emma Stiefler, and is now in Japan, where he has been connected with the Meiji Gakuin, a Presbyterian College; Evan m. (first) Emily Hamer and (second) Mabel Prouty; Sarah m. Clement Bechtel; Irwin m. Sophie Hammell; and Oliver m. Clara Stoudt. The mother died in 1906, aged seventy-six years. The father died Oct. 29, 1908, aged eighty-two years.

His grandfather was Henry H. Landis, born in 1798, died in 1860; m. in 1823 to Susanna Oberholtzer, daughter of Jacob, and after her decease to Elizabeth Knetz in 1856, and he had seven children; George, above mentioned, Jacob, David, Aaron, Susanna, Esther and Amanda.

The Landis family was founded in America by Hans Landis, a native of Holland, who left his native land during the early half of the eighteenth century, locating in Douglass Township, Montgomery County, Pa. He was the owner of a tract of land located near Congo, which he disposed of to members of the Bauer family in 1773 for six pounds and seven and one-half bushels of wheat as part payment on the property. Among the descendants was Henry H. Landis, the grandfather of the subject of the above sketch.


LANDIS, LEVI S.

p. 724

Surnames: LANDIS, STAUFFER, OVERHOLZER, ROHRBACH, HARTRANFT, ESHBACH, MOYER, MOHN

Levi S. Landis, a prosperous business man of Reading, Pa., who is engaged in shoe manufacturing, was born in 1848, in Washington township, Berks county, son of Jacob O. and Catherine (Stauffer) Landis, and a grandson of Henry Landis.

Henry Landis, who was a grocer and tanner by occupation was very successful in life, and at his death left a comfortable property. He married a Miss Overholzer, and to them were born the following children: Jacob, George, David, Aaron, Susan and Esther. The family were members of the Mennonite Church. In political matters Mr. Landis was a Republican.

Jacob O. Landis lived in Washington township, Berks county, where he received a common school education, and in early life engaged in farming, carrying on his father's tannery in the winter months. He is now living retired at the age of eighty-three years, his wife having passed away in 1901, when seventy-five years old. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs Landis; Levi S.; Elizabeth; Emma m. Enoch Rohrbach; Susan; Catherine m. James Hartranft; Nathan and Amos are deceased; and Ella.

Levi S. Landis received his education in the schools of Berks county, and until nineteen years of age worked on a farm, at this time apprenticing himself to the shoemaker's trade, to which he served his time with Reuben Eshbach of Schultzville. This he has followed ever since. He settled in Center Valley, where he remained for twenty-five years, and in 1897 came to Reading, locating at his present stand, No. 602 Schuylkill avenue, where he is doing an extensive business.

Mr. Landis was married to Mary L. Moyer, and to this union have been born two children: Herbert, a clerk in the employ of the Reading Trust Company, m Ada Mohn, and has one child, Spencer; and Steward R. is attending the Taylor University. Mr. Landis and his wife are members of the Eighth and Court Street Evangelical Church.


LANDIS, OLIVER MOHR

p. 745

Surnames: MOHR, LANDIS, GEISLER, STOUDT, ESTERLY

Oliver Mohr Landis, an enterprising business man of No. 427-431 North Sixth street, Reading, Pa., engaged in doing mantel, fire-place, grate, tile and mosaic work, is a native of Berks county, born in 1868, in Washington township, son of George 0. and Mary (Mohr) Landis.

Mr. Landis attended the district schools and West Chester Normal school, and then returned to Berks county, teaching one term in Hereford township. Mr. Landis then went to Pottstown and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed then for three years, and one year in Philadelphia with some success. He next went to Seattle, Wash ., being there one year after the great fire in that city. He also engaged in the box manufacturing business at Portland, Ore., and in 1885 returned to Pennsylvania. In 1892 Mr. Landis located in Reading and engaged in business under the firm name of 0. M.

Landis & Co, at No. 932 Penn street; one year later locating at No. 933 Penn street, and the following year at No. 15 North Sixth street. He then entered into partnership with H. C. Geisler, Sr., and for six years they carried on a business under the name of the American Tile & Mantel Company, at No. 727 Penn street, and later at No. 230 Penn street. In the spring of 1906 Mr. Landis opened his present business at Nos. 427-435 North Sixth street, at the well-known old Esterly Marble stand, and here he has continued successfully up to the present time.

Mr. Landis married Clara Stoudt, and they reside at No. 332 Windsor street, Reading. They have six children: Russel H., Mary D., Ruth, Grace C., Oliver and Harrison. In political matters Mr. Landis is a Republican. He and his wife attend the First Reformed Church.


LANDIS, REUBEN T.

p. 1279

Surnames: LANDIS, TRUCKENMILLER, FREDERICK, HANKEY, HUNTZINGER, WHITTICH, SPENGLER, HEFFLEY

Reuben T. Landis is an influential citizen and notary public of Robesonia, Berks county, and also carries on agricultural operations near the toll-gate on the Berks and Dauphin turnpike. He was born Dec. 16, 1844, in Rockland township, Berks county, son of Carl and Sarah (Truckenmiller) Landis.

Samuel Landis, grandfather of Reuben T. Landis, belonged to the Montgomery county branch of the Landis family, but in early life settled in Shimerville, Lehigh county, where he was a farmer and hotel proprietor for many years, owning considerable property and being a man well known and highly respected. In middle life he suddenly disappeared from home and nothing has ever been heard from him since. Samuel Landis married a Miss Frederick, born in 1770, who died in her eighty-ninth year and was buried at Bowers Station, Pa. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Landis, of whom we have record of George, Samuel, Jonathan, Carl, Reuben, Nathan, Hettie and Elizabeth.

Carl Landis, father of Reuben T., was born at Shimerville, Lehigh county, Feb. 12, 1803, and died in Reading Feb. 28, 1887. His educational advantages were decidedly limited, as he attended pay school for less than one month, but he was naturally bright and learned to read, write and cipher well. His industry placed him in comfortable circumstances, so that he was able to give all his children better educational opportunities than he had enjoyed, sending them all to higher schools of learning. Three of his sons became school teachers. Mr. Landis was a general weaver by trade, weaving flax, linens, woolen goods, carpets, etc. He and his wife are buried at Hain's Church, of which they were members.

Mr. Landis married Sarah Truckenmiller, who was born in Upper Milford township, Lehigh county, in June, 1805, daughter of John George Truckenmiller, a well known rake-maker of Lehigh county. Mrs. Landis died at Wernersville May 20, 1876. Fourteen children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Landis, seven of whom died in infancy, the others being: Samuel, Leah, Jonathan, Charles, William, Reuben T. and Daniel.

Reuben T. Landis obtained a liberal education in the township schools, the Boyertown Academy, under I. B. Hankey, and the Maxatawny Seminary, which was organized into the Keystone State Normal School in 1866, while Mr. Landis was a student. He then taught school for seven consecutive sessions, three terms in his native township and four at Wernersville, in Lower Heidelberg township, and in 1888 he taught one term in Lower Heidelberg township. Mr. Landis has been organist and chorister at three different churches and cultivated small farms connected with these churches. In 1884 he was elected a justice of the peace of Heidelberg township, and this office he filled with efficiency and honor for fifteen consecutive years. He refused another re-election, and later took out a notary public's license, since which time he has settled up many estates, acted as administrator, executor and assignee, and has been a useful citizen in his community in many ways, always supporting movements for the benefit of his section. He is a Democrat in politics, has been delegate to county conventions, and for four years was also committeeman of his district. He is a Reformed member of the congregation of St. Paul's Church, of Robesonia, of which he was an elder for many years.

On Nov. 18, 1869, Mr. Landis was married to Eva A. Huntzinger, born Oct. 25, 1840, daughter of Jared Huntzinger. To Mr. and Mrs. Landis have been born two children: Laura E., born Sept. 10, 1870, who died Sept. 19, 1872; and Homer L., born Jan. 17, 1874.

Homer L. Landis, born Jan. 17, 1874, at Wernersville, Berks county, received his literary education in the public schools in the vicinity of his home. His musical training began when he was only six years old, at which time his father taught him to sing by note, and even during his childhood he was a vocalist of local fame. He commenced to study instrumental music at the age of ten, and one of the happiest days of his life was the one on which his father purchased him his first violin. His versatility and success are of course largely due to application, but nevertheless he has natural gifts of a high order, which have been carefully cultivated. He is one of Prof. Arthur Whittich's violin pupils. Since 1885 he has been engaged in teaching all the string instruments, having pupils on the violin, guitar, mandolin, etc. His first pupil was his newsboy. His association with local bands began about twenty years ago and was continued until his business interests became so pressing that he had to relinquish some of his musical work. In 1889 he began to be identified with different bands in his village and in this connection learned to play different brass instruments, as well as the drum and clarinet. He became especially proficient on the baritone and slide trombone. In 1895 he became associated with the Minnehaha Band of Womelsdorf, with which he played the baritone and slide trombone for a number of years, and he was also the leader of this band for some time. In 1897 he became affiliated with the famous Ringgold Band of Reading, with which he played for over two years, severing this connection because his increasing business interests left him so little time to do his work justice. He is considered one of the finest musicians in his section of Berks county, and is known as a composer as well as performer, his masterpiece being his "Pioneer Hose No. 1"; his "Reading and Womelsdorf Electric" is one of his most popular compositions. Mr. Landis prizes highly a musical relic which has been in his possession for some time, an old melodeon which in spite of its age is well preserved and still a fine instrument.

But though music is so important a factor in Mr. Landis's life he is also an excellent business man. In the spring of 1892 he engaged in the weaving of rag carpets, and he also manufactures jute carpets and carries a large stock of such merchandise ready for sale. He manufactures between three and four thousand yards of rag carpet a year, for which his establishment has a high reputation, his product ranking with the best quality turned out in this section. He also manufactures the "Durable Rug" from old carpets, and the new rag rugs called "Puritan Rugs," having a large patronage in this line, extending not only over his own county but into surrounding counties and New Jersey and New York States. Since 1898 Mr. Landis has in addition to his other affairs conducted a baking establishment in Robesonia, manufacturing what is known as the genuine home-made bread, for which there is a constant demand. Mr. Landis resides in his own home on Main street, Robesonia.

On April 17, 1897, Mr. Landis was married to Miss Emma Lina Spengler, formerly of Hamburg, daughter of George W. and Mary (Heffley) Spengler, of Heidelberg township. Mr. and Mrs. Landis have had three children, Milford Leon, Edna May and Max Spengler, all of whom have musical talent. Mr. Landis is a Democrat and interested in local politics, the movements of which he follows closely.


LANDIS, SAMUEL

p. 1426

Surnames: LANDIS, HAAG, HUFF, WEIDNER, KEMP, HERTZOG, BITTENBENDER

Samuel Landis, a member of an old Mennonite family of Pennsylvania, which located in upper Montgomery county about 1730, was the first by that name to settle in District township, Berks county. He owned a 200-acre farm (later owned by his son Martin, now the property of Daniel Haag), one mile north of Landis store. He is buried all alone on this farm. He was a Reformed member of Huff's Church, where his wife is buried. Among their children were: Martin; Samuel; Polly, m. to Jacob Weidner; a son who was accidentally killed by a wagon passing over him; and at least two others, whose names are not recorded.

Samuel Landis, son of Samuel, was a carpenter by trade, and later followed farming. He started the store business, at what is now known as Landis Store, named after him. This is the business center of the township. He built all the present set of buildings except the large stone farm house. He established Landis Store P.O., and his oldest son Nathan became the first postmaster, and John H. Landis became the second, serving thirty years, and being succeeded by Harvey W. Kemp, the present incumbent. Samuel Landis served as township assessor, auditor and school director. He was a Reformed member of Huff's Church, where he and his wife are buried. He married Kate Hertzog, and they had seven children, namely: Nathan, Elizabeth, Martin, Lydia, John H., Katie and Maria (died young).

John H. Landis, son of Samuel and Kate, was born in District township, Feb. 28, 1842, and for many years, was the merchant and landlord at Landis Store, being succeeded after forty years of active business life by his son Henry B. who was in business four and one-half years. In 1903 Harvey W. Kemp became the proprietor and in 1909 purchased the stand and farm from John H. Landis for $9,500. Mr. Landis is a Republican, and was the committeeman of his township for a number of years. In 1865 he married Emma Bittenbender, of Hereford township and their children were: Henry B., of Reading; Frank B., a show merchant at Kutztown; and Oscar, who died in infancy.


LANDIS, S. EDWARD

p. 1439

Surnames:  LANDIS, RAMSAY, MILLER, BELLS

Edward Landis, whose plumbing establishment and place of residence are located at No. 605 North Ninth street, Reading, is a well-known business man of this city, where he was born June 14, 1877.  His parents were Samuel W. and Maggie V.(Ramsay) Landis.  The father was also born in Reading and he resides at No. 625 North Eleventh street. S. Edward Landis obtained his education in the public schools of his native city, and then entered upon  an apprenticeship with Frank Miller, at the plumbing trade, working for him for four years.  In 1898, Mr. Landis opened a shop of his own,utilizing a part of the cellar of father's residence.  He easily proved to customers that he was a quick and reliable workman which resulted in an increase of trade that necessitated larger quarters.  He first moved to No. 608 North Ninth street but later removed to his present place of business.  Here he has a fine location and a well equipped shop, where he carries a large line of gas fixtures and plumber's supplies.  He is enjoying a large amount of profitable business.

In 1902 Mr. Landis was married to Emma M. Bell, a prominent citizen, and they have one child, Ruth B.  Both he and his wife are members of the First United Evangelical Church. Politically Mr. Landis is a Republican.  Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Malta and is a past commander of the Knights of the Mystic Chain, and belongs also to the order of Maccabees.  Along business lines he is united with the Master Plumbers' Association.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:04 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.