Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

KRIEBEL, ANDREW G.

p. 1473

Surnames; KRIEBEL, YEAKEL, DIEHL, SCHULTZ, WIEGNER, GRIESEMER, GERY, URFFER, HEEBNER, WAREMKESSEL

Andrew G. Kriebel, butcher at Hereford, Hereford township, was born Sept. 4, 1877, son of Henry Kriebel and a descendant of George Kriebel.

(I) George Kriebel came to Pennsylvania in 1734, a member of the little band of Schwenkfelders who emigrated hither from Silesia, Germany. On Nov. 25, 1740, he married Susanna Kriebel, daughter of Balthaser and Regina (Yeakel) Kriebel, and they had two sons: George, born July 11, 1744; and Andrew, born Sept. 17, 1748. George Kriebel died Sept. 2, 1778, and his wife, Susanna, Sept. 14, 1775.

(II) Andrew Kriebel, son of George, married May 6, 1771, Susanna, daughter of Abraham Yeakel. She died April 22, 1808, aged fifty-seven years, five months, fourteen days. He passed away April 17, 1830. They had nine children as follows: Rosanna, born 1773, married, 1818, Daniel Diehl, and died 1836; Abraham, born Sept. 27, 1774; Samuel, born June 13, 1776; George, born Oct. 2, 1778, died May 20, 1779; Regina, born June 25, 1780; David, born July 19, 1783; Sophia, born Nov. 1, 1785; Salome, born Dec. 9, 1787; and Israel, born Sept. 14, 1790.

(III) Israel Kriebel, son of Andrew and Susanna, born Sept. 14, 1790, was a miller and lived near Chapel, in Hereford township, Berks county. He died June 14, 1860. On May 6, 1819, he married Sarah, daughter of Rev. John Schultz, and she died in March 1859. They had thirteen children: Christina, born Oct. 12, 1820, died Oct. 10, 1864; John, born Feb. 4, 1822; Samuel, born Nov. 11, 1823, died June 16, 1825; Susanna, born Jan. 8, 1825; Elizabeth, born Aug. 10, 1826; Henry, born March 25, 1828; Elias, born Oct. 13, 1829; Regina, born Oct. 7, 1831; Joseph, born in 1833 (died in 1858); Andrew, born Aug. 8, 1835; Anna, born in 1838 (died in 1845); and Mary, born July 14, 1846.

(IV) Henry Kriebel, son of Israel, born March 25, 1828, in Washington township, Berks county, came with his parents to what is now Kriebel's mill in Hereford when a small boy. He lived the remainder of his life there and died Nov. 10, 1893. As a young man he became a miller, and he conducted the oil-mill and grist-mill until his death, assuming charge of the mill when his father died. At that time 125 acres of good land were connected with the mill property, and this was divided into two tracts after the death of Henry Kriebel in1893, the mill and twenty-five acres going to his son, Lewis G., and the rest to another son, Calvin G.

Henry Kriebel manufactured much linseed oil, employing five or six persons. The flax was hauled from Upper Berks and Lehigh counties in large Conestoga wagons, with four horses. The oil was sold in the surrounding country and was used in the mixture of paints. The mill was operated by water-power, being located on the north branch of the Perkiomen creek, and it was the last oil-mill in the township. Mr. Kriebel was a member of the Schwenkfelder Church, and was buried at Washington meeting-house. He served the township as Republican committeeman for more than a quarter of a century. He was a school director, assistant township assessor, auditor, and at one time was the candidate of his party for county treasurer. Mr. Kriebel was twice married. By his first wife, Mary Wiegner, he had three children, of whom two died in infancy, and the other, a son, Prof. Howard W., is now the publisher of "The Pennsylvania German," a widely circulated magazine published at East Greenville. Mr. Kriebel married (second) Elizabeth Griesemer, and nine children were born to this union, namely: Dr. Elmer, located at Centre Point, Pa.; Lewis G., of Hereford township; Calvin G., who lives on a part of the homestead; Owen, who died in infancy; Regina, who married Horace Gery; Sallie, who married Adam Urffer; Andrew G.; Dr. Asher G., who married Bertha Heebner, and lives at Lynnville; and Henry G., of Alburtis.

(V) Andrew G. Kriebel received his education in the township schools, was reared upon the farm, and also worked in the mill for two years after his father's death. In the spring of 1898 he began as a butcher at Hereford on his own account, and he now has a well-equipped establishment, modern and convenient, situated near his residence on property which formerly belonged to the Griesemer family. He engages two men to assist him, and keeps two teams constantly on the street. Mr. Kriebel buys and kills over 2,300 calves annually, shipping them to the Philadelphia market, besides hundreds of hogs, sheep and beeves. During his busy season he kills ten beeves every week. Mr. Kriebel is not only a first class butcher but also an excellent mechanic, a fact which is evident in the machinery which he uses in his work, all of which is well chosen and in desirable condition, facilitating the work to an appreciable extent. He is respected for his industrious life, and has prospered well through the most honorable means.

On Oct. 25, 1897, Mr. Kriebel married Ellen C. Gery, daughter of James L. and Elizabeth (Waremkessel) Gery, and granddaughter of Ephraim Gery. Mr. and Mrs. Kriebel have had six children: Emmarine, Ira, Verna, Asher, Russel (died in infancy) and Lloyd. This family are true to the faith of their ancestors, belonging to the Schwenkfelder Church. Mr. Kriebel is a Republican in political sentiment, but he has given all his time to his business and never has taken any active interest in public affairs, even in his home locality. His home, a nice frame residence which he erected in 1904, is situated on an acre of ground which he bought from the homestead farm.


KRIEBEL, HOWARD WIEGNER

p. 1118

Surnames: KRIEBEL, WIEGNER, SCHULTZ, YEAKEL

Howard Wiegner Kriebel, son of Henry Kriebel (Israel and Sarah, nee Schultz, Kriebel) and Mary Ann Wiegner (Jacob and Rosina, nee Yeakel, Wiegner), was born in Hereford township, Berks Co., Pa., 1859, educated in the public schools of his native township, at the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, Pa. (graduated, 1876), and at Oberlin, Ohio. He was married to Thamar K. Schultz, daughter of Thomas Schultz (Rev. Christopher and Susanna, nee Yeakel Schultz) and Hannah Kriebel (Jacob and Anna, nee Yeakel, Kriebel), in 1884. He taught in the public schools of his native township and at Perkiomen Seminary, Pennsburg. Pa., where he served also as bookkeeper, secretary and trustee. He resigned from this position to write "The Schwenkfelders in Pennsylvania, A Historical Sketch," published in 1904 by the Pennsylvania German Society, of which he is a member. Since 1906 he is publisher of The Pennsylvania-German an illustrated monthly magazine devoted to the biography, genealogy, history, folklore, literature and general interests of German and Swiss settlers in Pennsylvania and other States and their descendants.


KRIEBEL FAMILY

p. 775

Surnames: KRIEBEL, YEAKEL, DIEHL, SCHULTZ, REICHENBACH, TRUMP, KRAUSS, CONRAD, CLEMMER, WIAND, BAER, KNAUSS, KECK, SCHWENKFELD, von OSSIG, MILLER, CASWELL, WIEAND, GRUBB, GILBERT, HERSH, HEEBNER, JOHNSON, MESCHTER, SHELLY

Kriebel Family. The first of this name in America, (I) George Kriebel, came to Pennsylvania in 1734, a member of the little band of Schwenkfelders who emigrated hither from Silesia, Germany. On Nov. 25, 1740, he married Susanna, daughter of Balthaser and Regina Yeakel, and they had two sons: George, born July 11, 1744; and Andrew, born Sept. 17, 1748. George Kriebel died Sept. 2, 1778, and his wife, Susanna, died Sept. 14, 1775.

(II) Andrew Kriebel, son of George, the emigrant, married May 16, 1772, Susanna, daughter of Abraham Yeakel. She died April 22, 1808, aged fifty-seven years, five months, fourteen days. He passed away April 17, 1830. They had nine children, as follows: Rosanna, born in 1773, m. in 1818 Daniel Diehl, and died in 1836; Abraham, born Sept. 27, 1774, m. Christina Kriebel; Samuel, born June 13, 1776, m. Christiina Schultz; George, born Oct. 2, 1778, died May 20, 1779; Regina, born June 25, 1780; David, born July 19, 1783, m. Rosina Schultz; Sophia, born Nov. 1, 1785; Salome, born Dec. 9, 1787; and Israel, born Sept. 14, 1790.

(III) Israel Kriebel, born Sept. 14, 1790, was a miller and lived near Chapel, in Hereford township, Berks county. He died June 14, 1860. On May 6, 1819, he married Sarah, daughter of Rev. John Schultz, and she died in March, 1859. They had thirteen children: Christina, born Oct. 12, 1820 (died Oct. 10, 1864); John, Feb. 4, 1822; Samuel, Nov. 11, 1823 (died June 16, 1825); Susanna, Jan. 8, 1825; Elizabeth, Aug. 10, 1826; Henry, March 25, 1828; Elias, Oct. 13, 1829; Regina, Oct. 7, 1831; Joseph, June 28, 1833 (died Dec. 29, 1859); Andrew, Aug. 8, 1835; Anna, 1838 (died 1845); Sarah, 1841 (died 1845); and Mary, July 14, 1846.

(IV) Andrew Kriebel, born in Hereford township Aug. 8, 1835, died Oct. 10, 1876, on the farm in that township now owned by his son Allen S. Kriebel. He is buried at Washington meeting-house. He was engaged as miller in his father's mill in early life, and later gave all his time to the cultivation of his farm. He married Christina Schultz, born March 8, 1840, daughter of Charles and Polly (Reichenbach) Schultz, died March 6, 1906. To them were born three children, as follows: Allen S., Oscar S., and Mary (m. to Milton Schultz, a farmer of Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania).

(V) Allen S. Kriebel, a farmer in Hereford township, was born June 28, 1861, at the place he now lives, and was there reared. He attended school in his native township, and spent his youth and early manhood working on the farm for his parents. After reaching his majority he rented from his mother and continued farming thus for some years. In the fall of 1898 he purchased his father's homestead, where he has been doing well ever since. This property, which consists of sixty acres of farm land and twenty acres of wood land, is located near Treichlersville. The present stone dwelling was built in 1862, by Andrew Kriebel, and the barn was put up the following year, 1863. The stone house replaced a dwelling-part wood, part log-which had stood for over a hundred years. Mr. Kriebel has made a number of improvements on the place since it came into his possession, and it presents a most attractive appearance. In front of the house are two large pine trees and a spruce tree in which he takes especial pride. Good water is one of the valuable features of this farm, and as Mr. Kriebel has valuable live stock he appreciates this fact particularly. He is a modern farmer in every respect, having a full line of up-to-date implements, including a first-class threshing outfit, as he does considerable threshing in the neighborhood and surrounding townships-his patrons being found in Berks, Bucks, Montgomery and Lehigh counties. He has two gasoline engines, one of six and one of twelve horse-power. In addition to such work, he saws wood, bales hay, shreds cornstalks, etc., for the farmers of his section. He has a telephone at his house, and every convenience for the facilitation of his various enterprises.

In 1888 Mr. Kriebel married Keturah Schultz, daughter of Manoah and Annette (Trump) Schultz, of Hereford, and to them have been born eight children: Ada, Chester, Homer, Owen, Irene, Norman, Raymond and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Kriebel are much interested in the education of their family. Their daughter Ada is at present a student in the commercial department of the Perkiomen Seminary. All the members of the Kriebel family have maintained high standing for respectability and good citizenship, and well deserve the respect in which they are held. Allen S. Kriebel and his family belong to the Schwenkfelder Church, and they are also connected with the Sunday-school, he being a member of the board of managers, which consists of three members, corresponding to the board of trustees of a church. He is a Republican in political opinion.

One of the treasured possessions of this family is an old grandfather's clock, which formerly belonged to Rev. William Schultz. It not only shows the time, but the day of the month and the movements of the moon, and is a valuable relic.

Manoah Schultz, father of Mrs. Allen S. Kriebel, was born Nov. 23, 1847, in Hereford, and was reared to farming, which vocation he followed throughout his active years. From 1868 he was engaged on his own account, in 1873 obtaining the homestead farm in Hereford, where he lived until the spring of 1906. He then moved to Treichlersville, where he farmed a forty-acre tract for one year, at the end of that time moving to the Abraham Krauss tract, in Hereford township, which he bought, and where he is now living retired. He is a Schwenkfelder in religious faith and has been active in that denomination, having served as a manager of the Sunday-school for many years.

Mr. Schultz married Annette Trump, born July 23, 1848, daughter of John and Sallie (Conrad) Trump, of District township, died Nov. 6, 1875. By this union there were four children: Katie m. Allen S. Kriebel; Ambrose met an accidental death at the age of twenty-six; Sallie m. David F. Clemmer; Annie Amanda died in infancy. Mr. Schultz's second marriage was to Mary Wiand, in 1878. The have had no children.

(V) Rev. Oscar S. Kriebel, A. M., D. D., minister of the Schwenkfelder Church and principal of Perkiomen Seminary, is a resident of Pennsburg, Montgomery Co., Pa. He was born Sept. 10, 1863, in Hereford township, Berks county, and there spent his boyhood days upon the farm, receiving his early education meanwhile in the local schools. For three or four years during this period he was a very active member of the celebrated Hereford Township Literary Society. His spare hours were devoted to preparing himself to teach school, with such good results that in the summer of 1880, when only in his seventeenth year, he passed a county examination under Prof. S. A. Baer, Ph.D., then superintendent of Berks county, and was licensed to teach in the public schools. He taught his first term in Lower Milford township, Lehigh county, under Superintendent J. O. Knauss in 1880-1881. The two terms following he taught the Schultz school in his native township, under the superintendency of Prof. D. S. Keck. In April, 1883, Mr. Kriebel entered upon a preparatory course at Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, where he prepared for his college course, meantime teaching two terms of school in Ohio and one nine months term in Stronach, Mich., though he kept at his studies all the while. He graduated with honors from Oberlin College in 1889, and from the Oberlin Theological Seminary in 1902. During the first two years of his theological course in Oberlin he also taught in the preparatory department of the college. He spent the third year of his theological course in Germany, studying at the University of Berlin.

Mr. Kriebel was married in 1891, and he and his wife spent the following year in travel and study in Europe, Mr. Kriebel putting in most of his time at the University of Berlin, Germany. Their journeyings took them through England, Scotland, Holland and Germany, and in the latter country Mr. Kriebel gave very special attention to studying the school system of the country.

Dr. Kriebel has devoted much of his time to the cause of the Schwenkfelder Church, of which he is a minister, being the pastor of the followers of Caspar Schwenkfeld in the "Upper District" of the church in Pennsylvania. He is very active in the denomination, having been a member of the Home and Foreign Mission Board of the church since its organization, and a member of the Publication board, which has charge of all the church publications, including the works and life of Caspar Schwenkfeld von Ossig, known as the "Corpus Schwenkenfeldinorium," which when completed will consist of seventeen volumes. The first volume appeared in 1908. Dr. Kriebel is secretary of the Publication board.

As principal of Perkiomen Seminary since 1892 Dr. Kriebel has attained front rank among the educators of the State, and he is a lecturer and public speaker of note. He is deeply interested in all educational and intellectual movements which tend to advance the civil or moral welfare of the country and exerts a considerable influence in such circles. His practical work along his chosen lines has been varied and efficient. He is a member of the Civil Service Reform Association of Pennsylvania, and has taken an active and prominent part in the good roads movement wherever it has been propagated in Pennsylvania. In his home town he is held in profound respect, and those who know him best speak of him as a scholarly, broad-minded, public-spirited and exemplary citizen, a Christian gentleman of the highest type.

In June 1907, Rev. Oscar S. Kriebel had the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity conferred upon him by Franklin and Marshall College, of Lancaster, Pa. Prof. Kriebel has also completed most of the required work for a Ph.D. degree in the graduate department of the University of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Montgomery County Historical Society, of the Pennsylvania German Society, of the National Geographical Society, and has been for years president of the Private Secondary School Association of Pennsylvania.

On June 30, 1891, Dr. Kriebel married Miss Corinne Miller, of Castalia, Erie Co., Ohio, daughter of Capt. W. W. and Mary (Caswell) Miller. They have had three children, Frieda, Mary and Louisa, the eldest, Frieda, born in Berlin, Germany, during the parents' long sojourn abroad.

Mrs. Kriebel's father, Capt. W. W. Miller, served as a captain throughout the Civil war, being popularly called the "Boy Captain" because of his youth. He was wounded at Gettysburg. For ten years he was State Secretary of Agriculture of Ohio. On the maternal side Mrs. Kriebel comes from a line of patriotic ancestors who were ever ready to risk their lives in the service of their country, her grandfather Caswell and his brothers having served with distinction in the Civil war; her great-grandfather in the war of 1812-15; and her great-great-grandfather in the Revolutionary war.

Perkiomen Seminary. At Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pa., two and one-fourth miles from the Berks County line, is located the famous Perkiomen Seminary, which was founded in 1887 by Rev. C. S. Wieand, of Pottstown, Pa., who was born and reared in the Schwenkenfelder Church. In 1892, the school opened its doors under the present management, with four teachers and nineteen scholars. The growth of the school has been remarkable. In fifteen years, the teaching force was increased to thirty and the total enrollment to three hundred and sixty-one. During the last seventeen years the school has enrolled 2,200 different students from practically all the counties of Pennsylvania, from fifteen different States of the Union, and from five foreign countries. Out of a total of 491 graduates, since its reorganization in 1892, two hundred and eighty-one have continued their studies in sixty-one higher institutions of learning, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Oberlin, Ann Arbor and practically all the best institutions in the East and middle West.

The institution is equipped with new modern buildings, chemical and physical laboratories, gymnasium, athletic field, etc. A Carnegie library is proposed, but not yet built. It is located in the upper part of the rich and beautiful Perkiomen Valley. Pure fresh air and an abundance of excellent spring water supply the school which is heated by steam and lighted by electricity.

The Perkiomen Railroad, a branch of the Philadelphia and Reading system runs through Pennsburg, Pa. Since 1892 Rev. Dr. Oscar S. Kriebel has been principal of the school. The institution is conducted under the auspices of the Schwenkfelder church. It is managed by a board of trustees consisting of thirteen members, elected by the Church. In 1908 the trustees were: M. K. Gilbert, president; Rev. N. B. Grubb; Jacob D. Heebner; Hon. John G. Hersh, M. D., vice-president; Adam Krauss, secretary; Hiram K. Kriebel; Jesse S. Kriebel; Rev. E. E. S. Johnson; Rev. O. S. Kriebel; Rev. G. K. Meschter, M. D.; B. B. Schultz; E. K. Schultz, treasurer; and Rev. A. S. Shelly.


KRIEBEL, JONAS S.

p. 1367

Surnames: KRIEBEL, SCHULTZ, HEEBNER, BREY, ANDERS, YEAKEL, HEYDRICK, KRAUSS, HUBER GERHART

Jonas S. Kriebel. The Kriebel family was planted in Pennsylvania by members of the Schwenkfelder band who came over from Silesia, Germany, in 1734, and located in Towamensing township, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania.

(I) Casper Kriebel, the ancestor of that branch of the family to which Jonas S. Kriebel, of Hereford township, Berks county, belongs, lived in Towamensing township, Montgomery county, on land which he owned, and which is now in the possession of his descendant, Abraham K. Kriebel. On his emigration to this country he was accompanied by his wife, Susanna, who died April 17, 1769. They had two children, George and Abraham.

(II) Abraham Kriebel, son of Casper, was born in Pennsylvania, Oct. 8, 1736. He died Jan. 30, 1801. He inherited the farm on which he lived and died, at the Schwenkfelder meeting house, and this in 1879 was occupied by his grandson. In 1762, he married Susanna, daughter of George Schultz, and she died in 1820. Their children were: Christian (1764-1812) and Andrew.

(III) Andrew Kriebel, son of Abraham and Susanna, was born Oct. 5, 1765, and he died Oct. 15, 1853. In 1793 he married Maria, daughter of George Heebner. She died in 1857, in the eighty-fifth year of her age. Their children were: Lydia, Daniel, George, Hannah, Abraham, Susanna and Sophia.

(II) Rev. George Kriebel, son of Casper the emigrant, was born in Saxony, Germany, Nov. 3, 1732. He was well educated, and in his younger days taught school. For many years he was a minister in the Society of Schwenkfelders. He was frequently engaged as a conveyancer and in settling differences in his vicinity. He lived on property which in 1879 was owned by a man named Brey. The Rev. Mr. Kriebel died Dec. 1, 1805. In 1758 he married Anna, daughter of Balthaser Anders, and she died in 1822 in the eighty-seventh year of her age, at their home in Lower Milford, Lehigh county. Their children were: Abraham, born May 26, 1760; Susanna, July 1, 1761; Jacob, Feb. 12, 1764; and Anna, Nov. 20, 1766.

(III) Abraham Kriebel, son of Rev. George, born May 26, 1760, owned and lived on a farm that in 1879 was owned by Joel Yeakel, in the Hosensack. In 1784 he married Salome Yeakel, who died in 1815. They had eleven children: Benjamin, Lydia, Daniel, Jacob, Anthony, Jonathan, Sophia, Anna, Samuel, Susanna and Rachel.

(IV) Jonathan Kriebel, son of Abraham, was born May 5, 1795, and died April 10, 1873. On April 22, 1820, he married Anna, daughter of George Heydrick, and she died April 9, 1836. Their children were: George, born 1821, and died the same year; Charles, born 1828, and died 1838; and Abraham.

(V) Abraham Kriebel, son of Jonathan, was born in Lower Milford township, Lehigh county, on his father's farm, Aug. 22, 1823. He is buried at Washington Schwenkfelder Church. He was a life long farmer, and owned a 120 acre farm in Douglass township, Montgomery county, immediately opposite the old Gehman farm. On Nov. 27, 1845, he married Regina Schultz, daughter of Matthias Schultz. Their children were: Susanna, born 1847, died unmarried, 1876; Jonas S.; Charles, who lived on the homestead; Sarah, who died unmarried; Samuel, born 1854, and died 1860; John; a daughter that died in infancy; and William, born 1861 and died 1862.

(VI) Jonas S. Kriebel, son of Abraham and Regina, was born in Douglass township, Montgomery county, Aug. 19, 1848. He attended the township school, and one winter term he attended a school of higher education at Wadsworth, Medina Co., Ohio. He remained with his parents until he was of age, and then for three years hired out among neighboring farmers. After his marriage in 1876 he began farming on his present place, then the property of his father, and this he tenanted until the latter's death, when he purchased it from the estate. The farm contains one hundred acres, and is well located. The present set of buildings were erected by Christopher Schultz.

Mr. Kriebel is a Republican, and was a director of the Clayton Butter & Cheese Company for one year. Since its organization in 1889 he has been one of the trustees of Union Chapel, at Chapel. For three years he was a deacon in the Schwenkfelder church, to which he and his family belong. Mr. Kriebel has a grandfather's clock that belonged to his parents.

On Jan. 8, 1876, Mr. Kriebel was married to Annie H. Krauss, daughter of Aaron Krauss. Ten children have been born to them, as follows: Harvey, a student at State College, Pa.; Minerva; Alice, who married Harry Huber, of Norristown; Mary; Amanda, who married George Gerhart, and lives in Worcester township, Montgomery county; Adaline; Edna; Annie; Oswin; and Irene.


KRIEBEL, LEWIS G.

page 1664

Surnames: KRIEBEL, GRIESEMER, YEAKEL, WIEGNER, SCHULTZ, DIEHL, LEATHERACK, ALDERFER, GERY, URFFER, HEEBNER, BITTENBENDER

Lewis G. Kreibel, a miller in the eastern section of Hereford township, was born where he now resides, on the Israel Kriebel homestead, Oct. 2, 1868, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Griesemer) Kriebel.

(1) George Krieble came to Pennsylvania in 1734, a member of a little band of Schwenkfelders who emigrated hither from Silesia, Germany. On Nov. 25, 1740, he married Susanna Kriebel, daughter of Balthaser and Regina (Yeakel) Kriebel, and they had two sons: George, born July 11, 1744; and Andrew, Sept. 17, 1748. George Kriebel died Sept. 2, 1778, and his wife Susanna, Sept. 14, 1775.

(II) George Kriebel, son of George and Susanna, born July 11, 1744, was killed by a stone falling on his head while he was clearing out his well, Sept. 14, 1792. He married Esther, daughter of George Wiegner, and she died Feb. 13, 1816. They had four children; Christopher, born Sept. 27, 1774, died June 2, 1779; George, born July 28, 1777, died May 28, 1779; Christopher (2), born Oct. 8, 1779; and Susanna, born Nov. 11, 1782, died Feb. 15, 1789.

(III) Christopher Kriebel, son of George and Esther, born Oct. 8, 1779, died Sept. 12, 1822. He married Regina, widow of Isaac Kriebel, and daughter of Rev. Melchoir Schultz, the ceremony taking place Nov. 12, 1807. She died Feb. 28, 1870. They had two children; Susanna, born Sept. 21, 1808, died May 27, 1875; and Bathsheba, born July 8, 1819.

(II) Andrew Kriebel, son of George the emigrant, married, May 6, 1771, Susanna, daughter of Abraham Yeakel. She died April 22, 1808, aged fifty-seven years, five months, fourteen days. He passed away April 17, 1830. They had nine children as follows: Rosanna, born 1773, married 1818, Daniel Diehl, and died 1836; Abraham, born Sept. 27, 1774; Samuel, born June 13, 1776; George, born Oct. 2, 1778, died May 20, 1779; Regina, born June 25, 1780; David, born July 19, 1783; Sophia, born Nov. 1, 1785; Salome, born Dec. 9, 1787; and Israel, born Sept. 14, 1790.

(III) Abraham Kriebel, son of Andrew and Susanna, born Sept. 27, 1774, was a miller and owned the mill property now in the possession of William Kriebel, in Worcester township, Montgomery county. He died April 7, 1844. On June 4, 1801, he married Christina, daughter of Abraham Kriebel, and their children were; Sophia, born Nov. 23, 1802; Isaac, March 20, 1804; Maria, March 17, 1806; Sophia (2), April 17, 1810; Catharine, June 9, 1813; Anna, Feb. 20, 1818; and Sarah (1821-1848).

(III) Samuel Kriebel, son of Andrew and Susanna, born June 13, 1776, died Feb. 1, 1841. On Jan. 3, 1802, he married Christina, daughter of Melchoir Schultz, and she died April 21, 1819, the mother of Sarah, Susanna, Lydia, Elizabeth and William. He married (second) July 24, 1824, Catharine, daughter of Henry Leatherack, and to this union was born one daughter, Sophia.

(III) David Kriebel, son of Andrew and Susanna, born July 19, 1783, died July 1, 1842. On May 24, 1819, he married Rosina, daughter of David Schultz and she died Dec. 27, 1827, the mother of three children: Anna, Mary and Philip. David Kriebel married (second) in 1819, Elizabeth Alderfer, who died Aug. 12, 1878. The children of the second marriage were: Henry, Susanna, Magdalena, Septimus, Barbara, Hannah and Elizabeth.

(III) Israel Kriebel, son of Andrew and Susanna, born Sept. 14, 1790, was a miller and lived near Chapel, in Hereford township, Berks county. He died June 14, 1860. On May 6, 1819, he married Sarah, daughter of Rev. John Schultz, and she died in March, 1859. They had thirteen children: Christina, born Oct. 12, 1820, died Oct. 10, 1864; John, born Feb. 4, 1822; Samuel, born Nov. 11, 1823, died June 16, 1825; Susanna, born Jan. 8, 1825; Elizabeth, born Aug. 10, 1826; Henry, March 25, 1828; Elias, Oct. 13, 1829; Regina, Oct. 7, 1831; Joseph, 1833 (died 1858); Andrew, Aug. 8, 1835; Anna, 1838 (died 1845); Sarah, 1841 (died 1845); and Mary, July 14, 1846.

(IV) Henry Kriebel, son of Israel, born March 25, 1828, in Washington township, Berks county, came with his parents to what is now Kriebel's Mill in Hereford when a small boy. He lived the remainder of his life there and died Nov. 10, 1893. As a young man he became a miller and he conducted the oil mill and grist mill until his death, assuming charge of the mill when his father died. At that time 125 acres of good land were connected with the mill property, and this was divided into two tracts after the death of Henry Kriebel in 1893, the mill and twenty-five acres going to the son Lewis G., and the rest to a son Calvin G. Henry Kriebel manufactured much linseed oil, employing five or six persons. The flax was hauled from Upper Berks and Lehigh counties in large conestoga wagons, with four horses. The oil was sold in the surrounding country and was used in the mixture of paints. The mill was operated by water power, being located on the north branch of the Perkiomen creek, and it was the last oil mill in the township. Mr. Kriebel was a member of the Schwenkfelder church and was buried at Washington Meeting House. He served the township as Republican committeeman for more than a quarter of a century. He was school director, assistant township assessor, auditor, and at one time was the candidate of his party for county treasurer. Mr. Kriebel was twice married. By his first wife, Mary Wiegner, he had three children of whom two died in infancy, and the other, a son, Prof. Howard W., us now the publisher of the Pennsylvania German, a widely circulated magazine published at East Greenville. Mr. Kriebel married (second) Elizabeth Griesemer, daughter of Gabriel Griesemer, and nine children were born of this union, namely: Dr. Elmer, located at Centre Point, Pa.; Lewis G.; Calvin G., who lives on a part of the homestead; Owen, who died in infancy; Regina, who married Horace Gery; Sallie, who married Adam Urffer; Andrew G., a butcher in Hereford township, who married Ellen Gery; Dr. Asher G., who married Bertha Heebner, and lives at Lynnville; and Henry G., of Alburtis.

(V) Lewis G. Kriebel, son of Henry, received his education in the public schools of his native township, and was only a boy when he learned the milling trade from his father. He worked for his father until he was twenty-one years old, and as his father died soon after he assumed charge of the mill, and since the spring of 1895 has been conducting it, enjoying a good trade. As stated above there is a twenty-five acre tract of land connected with the mill. The present brick house was built in 1845 by Israel Kriebel, and the stone house near the mill by Henry Kriebel. The present mill was built in 1837 by Israel Kriebel, and was formerly used for oil, but since 1894 this part has been abandoned, and it is now used wholly as a grist mill. Mr. Kriebel is a very successful young business man, and he takes a keen interest in whatever is going on about him. From 1895 to 1907 he kept two men busy crushing stone. In politics he is a Republican, and since the spring of 1908 he has been the committeeman of his township, and he is also served as inspector of his precinct, and census enumerator. He is a member of the Schwenkfelder Church. He belongs to Perkiomen Lodge, No. 595, F. & A. M., of East Greenville. Mr. Kriebel is a musician and he plays the clarinet in the East Greenville Band. During the ten years existence of the Hereford Band he was its leader.

On Dec. 24, 1888, Mr. Kriebel was married to Katie Bittenbender, of Siesholtzville, and the only child of this union, Florence, is now deceased.


KRONINGER FAMILY

p. 1022

Surnames: KRONINGER, KOB, FRY, REIFINGER, MERKEL, OTT, LUTZ, GRUBER, HEISER, SCHLONECKER, LAUTENSTEIN, LEIBY, SCHLENKER, LESHER, KUNKEL, HAAS, SCHWARTZ, SCHMICK, SAUL, BORTZ, TROLLINGER, DUNKEL, SCHMOYER, EASTMAN, ANGSTADT, KEMP, LOCH, DIETRICH, FISHER

The good ship "Peggy," which landed at Philadelphia, Sept. 24, 1753, had on board 108 passengers, one of whom was Jacob Kroninger, from the German Palatinate, who was then thirty years old, as appears in the State records. He settled in Macungie township, Northampton (now Lehigh) county, shortly after landing. There is record of his four sons, as follows: (1) Nicholas and (2) Henry both settled in Mahanoy township, Northumberland county, prior to 1783, in which year Nicholas owned 100 acres of land and had two horses and four head of cattle, and paid the federal tax of 4, 8s. Henry had one cow and paid a tax of 3s. (3) The third son, tradition says, as does also a brief reference in history, was carried away by the Indians. (4) Daniel lived in Macungie township, Lehigh county, until 1787. In 1785 in the federal tax register, in the Pennsylvania archives, he is recorded as having owned 100 acres of land, two horses, one cow, and paid a tax of 1, 1s. He was a carpenter by occupation. His children were: John (1775-1853); Peter, who settled in Ohio; Margaret; Susan; and three sons who died close together.

John Kroninger, son of Daniel and grandson of Jacob, the emigrant, was born in Macungie township Oct. 4, 1775, and there he lived until he was twelve years of age. His parents then removed to Weisenburg township, Lehigh county, and there young John lived until he attained his majority. He married Margaret Kob, born Christmas Day, 1779, who died April 1, 1864. Mr. Kroninger was a soldier in the war of 1812. For many years he lived on the road leading from Roth's school house to Grimville, in Greenwich township, on the farm now the property of John M. Fry. Here his death occurred May 17, 1853. His children were: (1) Daniel (1803-1884) m., in 1824, Esther Reifinger (April 15, 1808-April 23, 1901, aged ninety-three years, eight days) and had five sons and six daughters. (2) Jonas died in childhood. (3) Maria (1801-1878) m. (first) Abraham Merkel and (second) Charles Ott. (4) Catharine m. Jacob Lutz. (5) John settled at Delaware, Ohio, in 1835, and there m. and reared a family. (6) David m. (first) Maria Gruber and (second) Harriet Heiser. (7) Joseph m. Eliza Schlonecker, and settled in Chickasaw county, Iowa. (8) Miss Lydia, born May 3, 1827, has lived in Reading since 1856. (9) Johan Peter (Aug. 18, 1824-Oct. 28, 1906, aged 82 years, 2 months, 10 days) lived two miles east of Grimville, where his death occurred. His wife, Rebecca Lautenstein, preceded him to the grave at the age of sixty-nine. Their children were: Elmer T., Mrs. Charles Leiby, Mrs. Peter Schlenker (all of Grimsville); Morris, of Philadelphia; Sylvester, of Weedsport, N. Y.; Frank, of Auburn, N. Y.; and Mrs. Ellen Leiby, of Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania.

Daniel Kroninger, son of John, was born in 1803, and his death occurred in 1884. In 1824 he was united in marriage with Miss Esther Reifinger, who was born April 15, 1808, and died April 23, 1901, at the advanced age of ninety-three years and eight days, Eleven children, five sons and six daughters, blessed their union, as follows: (1) Florenda m. Samuel Lesher, of Mohrsville. (2) David J. m. Catharine Kunkel, and they lived in Weisenburg. Their children are: Mary, Emma, and Penrose. (3) Brigetta m. J. P. T. Haas, of Eagle Point and Lancaster. (4) Daniel P. m. Lavina Schwartz, and lives at Eagle Point. Their children are: Elmer, Alonzo, Howard, Arthur O. and Richard. (5) Noah is mentioned below. (6) John m. Sarah Schmick, and resides at Allentown. Their children are: Edward, Laura, Daniel, Regina, Mame, Amelia, and Stella. (7) Sarah m. Daniel Saul, and lived at Eagle Point. (8) Annie m. Augustus Bortz, of Temple. (9) A son. (10) Esther. (11) Amelia m. James Trollinger. The youngest three children preceded their mother to the grave.

Noah Kroninger, son of Daniel, was born in Maxatawny township, in March, 1845. For some years he lived in "Yammerthal" in Greenwich township. This village was formerly called Kroningersville, after this family. Noah Kroninger married Hettie Dunkel, daughter of David and Annie (Lesher) Dunkel, of near Mohrsville. Their children are: Nora m. Ben Schmoyer of Breinigsville, and they live in Allentown, where he has a bakery business; Theodore J.; Lizzie m. Wallace Kunkel, of Westfield, Tioga Co., Pa.; Oscar m. May Eastman, of Chico, Cal., where they reside; George and Elton both died in childhood; Irwin is a clerk in a foundry at Kutztown; and Daisy, the youngest, is a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown.

Theodore Joseph Kroninger, son of Noah and the subject of this sketch, was born in Greenwich township, Jan 30, 1876. He obtained a good practical education in the public schools of his district which he attended until he was twenty-one years of age. Under his cousin, Edwin Kroninger, of Allentown, he learned the florist's business and followed this vocation for some time. He traveled in nearly all the counties in eastern Pennsylvania for pleasure and business combined, all the while learning new methods and customs from them. These he put into practical use when he returned to is native county in 1899. He then worked as a servant for Clinton Angstadt, who lived upon the Pierce Kemp farm in Maxatawny township, remaining in that position for four years. In the spring of 1902 he began farming where he had lived the preceding four years as a servant. He is in the best sense of the term a self-made man. He owns valuable farm stock, and is prospering as the result of his intelligent and well directed efforts. The milk from his dairy is sold daily in Kutztown. In all his work he is very exact, and in his business relations he is scrupulously honest, and he and his wife are highly esteemed in the community. They attend the Lutheran Church at Kutztown.

On Dec. 25, 1902, Mr. Kroninger was united in marriage with Katie Judith Loch, who was born Nov. 4, 1877, eldest daughter of Joel and Hettie (Dietrich) Loch, farming people of Seiberlingville, Lehigh county, and granddaughter of Joel, Sr., and Bevvy (Fisher) Loch, also farming people of Lehigh county.


KRUM, WILSON P.

p.915

Surnames: KRUM, KISTLER, PETERS, OWENS

Wilson P. Krum, one of the well-known residents of Krumsville, Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa., where he is prominently identified with business interests, was born July 2, 1841, at Saegersville, Lehigh county, son of Jonas and Catherine (Peter) Krum.

At the early age of fourteen years Wilson P. Krum left home to make his own way in the world. He attended the public schools of his native locality for several terms, later enrolled as a student in the Allentown Seminary, and subsequently took the prescribed course at the Millville Normal school at Millville, Columbia Co., Pa., after which he taught school for five terms in Columbia county and two terms in Lehigh county. In 1867 he came to Berks county, and began the mercantile business ass a clerk in the Smithville store and after one year purchased the store at Wessnersville, which he conducted until 1876, at which time he sold out to E. D. Kistler and removed to Slatington, Lehigh county, engaging in the mercantile and slate business. In 1889, however he returned to Berks county, and settled at Krumsville, where he has since been located.

By close attention to business and perseverance, Mr. Krum has amassed quite a competency. He is interested in the E. D. Peters & Co. Ltd. General Merchandise Company, at Slatington, Pa., and also owns a large slate factory at Slatington. It requires five engines to operate the factory and the quarries. He has his office at Krumsville, where he solicits orders for roofing and slate material. As his business card says of these products: "Strictly unfading-a test proof sixty years-where used no other wanted." In addition to these interests, Mr. Krum is interested in the Blue Mountain Slate Company, in which he is associated with James Owens, and is president of the Berks and Lehigh Fire Insurance Company. He owns a beautiful home in Krumsville, a large store building, the hotel, and a large farm of fertile land. In politics he is a Republican, and he is the Republican committeeman of his township. He is a member of Bethel's Zions Reformed Church, at Grimville, Pa., and for more than sixteen years has been a member of the church consistory.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:02 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.