Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

KLINGER, ISAAC B.

p. 877

Surnames: KLINGER, SHIRMAN, BORDNER, HOFFMAN, HARNTRAFT, PENNYPACKER, BARR, KURR, GEISLER

Isaac B. Klinger, the subject of this sketch, was born at Millersburg (Bethel P. O.), Berks Co., Pa., May 1, 1851.

The Klinger family emigrated from Holland. Alexander Klinger, great-great-grandfather of Isaac B. Klinger, sailed in the ship "Albany", Robert Brown, Master, from Rotterdam, last from Cowes, Isle of Wight, England, and landed at Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 2, 1749. He settled in Reading, Berks county, and was in the first taxable list on record of Reading, for 1759. His name also appears in the first United States Census of Reading, taken in 1790. He was a real estate owner in the city of Reading, as appears by patents taken for lots in 1753. He served as a private in the Revolutionary war, in Capt. Conrad Shirman's Company, of Berks county volunteers. He died in the city of Reading in April, 1802.

George Adam Klinger, a son of Alexander Klinger, had previously settled in Mahantango, which at that time still was territory of Berks county. The Klinger family multiplied and by this time are quite numerous through Schuylkill and adjoining counties.

Absalom Klinger, a son of George, and a grandson of the aforesaid George Adam, was the father of the subject of this sketch. He was born on the old Klinger homestead in Mahantango Sept. 20, 1817. In his younger years he came to Millersburg, Berks county, to learn the weaver's trade, which he followed through his active period; he liked Millersburg and settled down there and was married to Elizabeth Bordner, daughter of John Bordner and his wife Elizabeth (Hoffman). Four children were born to this union, viz.: Elizabeth, Rebecca, Isaac B. and Sophia D. Absalom died April 6, 1901, and his wife, Elizabeth, June 27, 1901, aged respectively eighty-four years and eighty-one years.

Isaac B. Klinger was reared in Millersburg and received his early education in the public schools of that place, later attending the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, and the Palatinate College, at Myerstown. He learned the trade of weaver with his father, and followed it for some time. He then engaged in school teaching for eight years. On June 6, 1877, he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Bethel township, by Gov. John F. Hartranft, the duties of which office he filled efficiently and conscientiously up to May, 1903, when he refused a re-election. The same year he was commissioned by Gov. Samuel W. Pennypacker a notary public for the State of Pennsylvania, with office at Bethel, to the duties of which office he now gives his attention.

Mr. Klinger has always affiliated with the Democratic party and had been honored by said party with election as a member of the standing committee of Berks county, sending him as delegate to county, State, and national conventions. In home matters he was always wide-awake and progressive. He was the founder of the cigar industry in his town. He was the promoter of the Bethel Shirt Works of his town, to which in conjunction with Mr. Isaac Barr he still gives his attention; these works were organized in 1897 and give continual employment to from fifty to sixty persons. He was also one of the prime movers in the organization and founding of the Blue Mountain Electric Company, a chartered organization to furnish light and power to rural towns, of which company he is treasurer; he is also treasurer of the board of supervisors of Bethel township. In business circles and in all deliberative assemblies, where experience combined with sound judgment are of consequence, Mr. Klinger's opinion is sought and always commands respect and consideration.

Mr. Klinger has also taken an active part in secret societies in his time. He is a charter member and past officer of the Bethel Lodge, No. 820, I. O. O. F.; a charter member of Washington Camp No. 214, P. O. S. of A.; and a member of the Tulpehocken Castle, No. 133, K. G. E.

In 1871 Mr. Klinger was married to Leanda R. Kurr, of Millersburg, daughter of William and Selecia (Geisler) Kurr. She died Dec. 27, 1890, at the age of thirty-nine years. Four children were born to this union, viz.: William, Agnes, Ellen and Mabel. Mr. Klinger and his family are members of the Salem Reformed Church of Millersburg.


KLINGER, JOHN WESLEY

p. 1030

Surnames: KLINGER, FAIR, BARGDOL, HOMAN, ALBRIGHT, SMITH, HOWARD, GLASS, MERGET, WEAND, GLENZORA, PAULY, ROHM. VANBUSKIRK, FAIRCHILD, STONESIFER, MOYER.

John Wesley Klinger, who is engaged in the shoe business at No. 1624 Cotton street, Reading, is a native of that city, born Dec. 26, 1850, son of Michael and Matilda (Fair) Klinger.

Peter Klinger, the founder of this family in America, lived in Exeter township, and is buried at Stonetown. He owned property, and his will was probated in 1790, the year of his death. Mr. Klinger, as well as his wife, was a native of Swabia, Germany. Among their children were: Philip, who had a son Philip; John and William.

William Klinger, born Dec. 6, 1799, son of Peter and grandfather of John W., was a hatter, and for some years worked at his trade in Reading. To him and his good wife Polly were born: William, of whom nothing was heard after the Civil war; John (Jack), who lived at different places, his place of death being unknown; Charles, who was a cigar maker and hatter, dividing his time between Reading and Lancaster, and died in Lancaster; Mary, who married John Bargdol, for some years a resident of Reading and later of Philadelphia, where he was killed on the Pickering Valley Railroad; and Michael.

Michael Klinger, father of John W., was born in 1823, and died in Reading Feb. 8, 1857, age thirty-three years, two months, and twenty-four days. The major part of his life was spent in Reading, where he was engaged as a laborer for many years and in later years in boating. On October 20, 1847, in Reading, by the Rev. Mr. Pauly, he was married to Matilda Fair, born March 25, 1832, above Birdsboro. She died in Reading, Aug. 13, 1899, age sixty-seven years, four months and nineteen days. They had four children: William Howard, born Oct. 3, 1848, lives in Maple Bay, Minn. (m. to Matilda Homan, of Reading); John Wesley was born in Reading Dec. 26, 1850; Charles Henry, born in Reading, May 22, 1853, died July 4, 1903, in Philadelphia, Pa. aged fifty years, one month and thirteen days; Anna Maria, born in Reading, Oct. 9, 1855, died Dec. 23, 1855.

John W. Klinger was educated at the Reading schools, and at an early age entered the Reading Cotton Mills, where he worked about four years, he then learning the blacksmith's trade with Amos Albright of Bern township, with whom he was employed two years. For one year he worked at Harrisburg for the Franklin Foundry Company, and the following year entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, with which company he was connected for upward of seven years. At the end of this time Mr. Klinger established himself in business , opening a shoe store at No. 1624 Cotton street, in 1894, and here he has been engaged to the present time with much success. He is industrious and enterprising, is a self-made man, and is esteemed by his fellow citizens for his honesty and integrity. Mr. Klinger is a Democrat in politics, and at one time was quite active in public affairs. He has been prominent fraternally, belonging to Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M.; Dauphin Lodge, No. 160, I. O. O. F., of Harrisburg; St. John Castle, No. 17, A. O. K. M. C., of Harrisburg; Fidelia Chamber, No. 5, Knights of Friendship, of Reading; Aaron Lodge, No. 95, American Protestant Association, of Reading; Washington Camp, No. 329, P. O. S. of A., of Reading; and Union Fire Company, No. 13, Union Association, all of Reading, in which he is very popular.

In the year 1869 John Wesley Klinger was married at Harrisburg to Kate Louisa Smith of that city, by the Rev. Thomas M. Griffith. She was born Dec. 1, 1849, daughter of George Z. and Mary (Albright) Smith (the former of whom was a railroad man of Harrisburg, Pa.), and died July 2, 1892, aged forty-two years, seven months, one day. Mr. and Mrs. Klinger had fourteen children, as follows: George William, born April 10, 1870, in Harrisburg, m. (first) Jennie Howard, of Harrisburg and after her death (second) Bessie Glass, of Harrisburg; Mary Matilda, born Aug. 19, 1871, in Reading, m. Jacob Merget, of Reading; Charles Daniel, born June 22, 1873, in Harrisburg, died Feb. 18, 1874; John Wesley, Jr., born Dec. 10, 1874, in Harrisburg, died July 16, 1876; Katie Iruba, born March 28, 1876, in Harrisburg, m. Edward John Weand, of Reading; Annie Glenzora, born Dec. 13, 1877, in Harrisburg, m. Edward Rohm, of Harrisburg; Clyde Day, born Aug. 28, 1879 in Harrisburg, m. Mary VanBuskirk, of Reading; Vernon Leroy, born Sept. 20, 1881, in Harrisburg, died Aug. 10, 1882; Owen Swartz, born March 3, 1883, in Harrisburg, died in Reading Feb. 3, 1905, aged twenty-one years and eleven months; Eddie Fern, born Feb. 14, 1886, in Reading, m. Olive Fairchild; Earl DeA., born in Reading, Aug. 6, 1887, m. Florence Stonesifer, of Steelton; Calvin Hoffeditz, born Dec. 14, 1889, in Reading, m. Anna V. Moyer, of Reading, and she died Feb. 18, 1909, aged seventeen years and twenty-seven days; Amy May, born May 15, 1891, in Reading, died Jan. 29, 1892, aged eight months and fourteen days; and William Howard.


KLOPP, CYRUS P.

p. 979

Surnames: KLOPP, BAUSHER, GRUBER, STEIN, BICKEL, REICH, GRETH, KNOLL, ERNST, GERHART, SEIDEL, PEIFFER, MILLER, SUNDAY, FOGLEMAN, ZECHMAN, SNYDER, DEISHER, BORDNER, STUPP, KEENER, FISHER

Cyrus P. Klopp, justice of the peace, clerk for Recorder Jeremiah A. Bausher, and a well-known educator of Tulpehocken township, was born in North Heidelberg township, Berks county, Pa., May 18, 1863, son of Ephraim and Matilda (Gruber) Klopp.

Peter Klopp, great-grandfather of Cyrus P., was an early settler in North Heidelberg township. He reared seven sons, namely: Peter, Adam, John, Benjamin, Daniel, Joseph and Isaac.

Joseph Klopp, son of Peter, was reared a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits through all his active life. He married Christianna Stein, and they had eight children, namely: (1) Annie married Benjamin Bickel, who carried on a blacksmith business for many years. She died some time ago, the mother of four children, namely: Reuben, Benjamin, John and Christiana, the latter of whom died young. (2) Jonathan married and then moved to the West, where he died, leaving some children. (3) Jacob was a farmer in both Berks and Lebanon counties. He died on his premises near Myerstown, Lebanon Co., Pa. He married and had the following children: Allison, Ephraim, Lewis, Francis, James and two daughters. (4) Sarah married John Reich, after which they lived for a number of years at Bernville, but subsequently moved to a small farm in North Heidelberg township, where both died in advanced age. They had the following children: William, Harrison, John L., Christiana (m. Lewis Greth), and Kate (m. Albert Knoll). (5) Priscilla married Emanuel Ernst, who carried on farming in North and Lower Heidelberg and in Centre townships. She died on their farm near Belleman's Church. They had the following children: Henry C., George, Charles, Pierce, Lillie, Tillie and James. (6) Ephraim. (7) Darius married and resides in Missouri. (8) Amanda married Reuben Gerhart, who engaged in farming in his younger years. She died in the City of Reading, the mother of Priscilla, Susan, Mary, Henry and Charles.

Ephraim Klopp, father of Cyrus P., was born in North Heidelberg township, in 1830. He engaged in farming for his father until 1873, when he purchased land of his own, on which he lived until his death, which took place when he was but forty-eight years of age. He married (first) Eliza Gruber, a daughter of Daniel and Christiana (Seidel) Gruber. She survived but the birth of one son, Israel, who died in childhood. Some years later he married (second) Matilda Gruber, also a daughter of Daniel Gruber, who survived him for eighteen years. The children born to the second marriage were as follows: one died in infancy; Nathaniel, who is in the employ of the Iron Manufacturing Works at Lebanon, m. Lizzie Peiffer, and they had the following children, Paul and Claude (residing at Harrisburg), Ephraim, Catherine, Herbert and Warren (at home), and Hattie and John (died young); Agnes R. m. Richard F. Miller, a farmer and the manager of the Bethany Orphans' Home, at Womelsdorf, and has two children, Clayton and Claire; Cyrus P.; John Henry, who is engaged in farming on his father-in-law's property, in Jefferson township, m. Florinda Sunday, daughter of Jacob Sunday, of Krick's rolling-mills, and has four children, Lammas C. (a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School), Mabel (deceased), Elvey and Mary; and Reiley E., who is engaged in farming near Myerstown, Lebanon county, m. Mary Fogleman, daughter of Israel Fogleman, and has three children, Amy, Edna and Floyd.

Cyrus P. Klopp attended the public schools in North Heidelberg township until he was seventeen years of age, when he entered the public schools of Cumberland county, and when nineteen years old he was admitted to the high school at Bernville, Prof. M. A. Gruber then being the instructor. This school he attended one term, after which he was successful in securing a teacher's certificate, and he has since followed teaching as a profession, becoming widely known over the county. He has taught twenty-four winter terms and six spring terms, among these being: Peiffer's school in Tulpehocken township for six terms; Artz's school, one term; Livengood's school, four terms; Forge school in North Heidelberg, four terms, and Mt. Aetna Grammar school in Tulpehocken township for nine terms, and he has signed the contract for continued work at this point. In 1893, County Superintendent William M. Zechman granted him a professional certificate, and in 1894 it was made permanent, and in the following year there was added proficiency in algebra, vocal music, bookkeeping and civics. Mr. Klopp takes a deep interest in his professional work and loses no opportunity to advance himself in it. Since he has been teaching he has never failed to be present at the county institute, and has missed only one meeting of the local institute of his district.

In 1900 Mr. Klopp was elected justice of the peace to succeed Aaron Snyder, of Mt. Aetna, an office he has filled with the greatest efficiency. On numerous occasions he has also held minor offices of the township, such as inspector of election, township auditor, etc. In 1902 he was appointed a director of the Farmers' Mutual Assistance and Fire Insurance Company succeeding the late Gereon Deisher. He was appointed to a clerkship in the Recorder's office of Berks county, in January, 1908, by Jeremiah A. Bausher. Since the age of six years, Mr. Klopp has been interested in Sunday-school work. For three years he filled the responsible position of superintendent of the Peiffer Union Sunday-school, at Wintersville, and is serving in the same capacity in St. John's Reformed Sunday-school, at Mt. Aetna. During 1903 and 1904 he had charge during the summers of the general mercantile store of I. J. H. Bordner, at Mt. Aetna, when the latter with his family moved to Washington, Kansas.

In the year 1886 Mr. Klopp was married to Mary A. Stupp, daughter of Ezra E. and Rebecca W. (Keener) Stupp. Ezra E. Stupp was a soldier who served in the Civil war in Company H, 151st Pa. V. I., and was taken prisoner and confined at Belle Isle. Mr. and Mrs. Klopp have two children living: Wallace E., born in North Heidelberg township, Feb. 26, 1887, is preparing to be a pharmacist and to this end is learning the drug business in the store of Mr. Rumsey, on North 41st street, Philadelphia, and at the same time is attending a college of Pharmacy, that city; Elsie M., born in North Heidelberg township, Nov. 1, 1888, married Raymond M. Fisher, and has a daughter, Grace P., born Dec. 24, 1907.

In political sentiment, Mr. Klopp is a stanch Democrat, and on various occasions he has served as a delegate to important conventions. For six years he served as deputy coroner of his township, when residing in Tulpehocken. For two years, after his marriage, he lived in North Heidelberg township, then moved to Wintersville, where he remained twelve years, from there moving to Mt. Aetna, Berks county, his present place of residence. He is a member of Camp No. 69, P. O. S. of A., at Mt. Aetna, and has served in every office in the subordinate camps except treasurer, and at present is serving as financial secretary. He belongs also to Tulpehocken Council, No. 941, O. of I. A., of Myerstown. He takes much interest in both organizations. He is a leading member of the Reformed Church at Host, in Tulpehocken township.


KLOPP FAMILY

p. 1688

Surnames: KLOPP/KLOP/KLOPF, MILLER, FIDLER, WEISER, BECKER, KNOBB, HAIN, KEISER, BUCKS, ERNST, WAGNER, DUNDORE, GERHART, LAMM, BROSSMAN, OCKS, STINE, REEDY, FAUST, LEISS, STAMM, ANSPACH, KILMER, ZELLER, WALBORN, KLINE, SCHUETZ, LINDENMUTH, FISHER, FILBERT, LAUCK, SEIGNER, PEIFFER, BEHNE, SEIBERT, WINTER, MILLER, RUTH, REEDY, UHRICH, ULRICH, KALBACH, LUDWIG, KNOR, WENRICH, HUNT, HENNE, MINNICH, LAMM, HECK, CONRAD, BRIGHTS, POTTEIGER, FOX, WAGNER, HECKLER, GRUBER, LEINBACH, MOSSER, EVANS, HECHLER, KISSLING, BEARD, RICK, STRUNK

The Klopp family is one of the oldest and most numerous in Berks county, and each generation has produced men and women who have lived honorably and usefully in their communities. The Klopp family had its origin near Bingen on the Rhine, Germany, and there in 1906 still stood a castle known as "Schlossklopp."

(I) Peter Klopp (Klop or Klopf) was a Reformed member of the Tulpehocken Church in 1735. Later he, with Rev. Peter Miller, Godfried Fidler, Conrad Weiser, and others, joined a church at Ephrata, Lancaster Co., Pa., and at the home of Mr. Fidler, who had first taken up land in Tulpehocken township, burned the Psalms, catechisms and other good books. Before the house of the Tulpehocken brethren (German Seventh Day Baptists) was finished, Conrad Weiser, Hans Michael Miller, Peter Klopf, Godfried Fidler, and several single men and women went to the settlement at Ephrata. Of these, Weiser, Miller and Klopf later withdrew from the Ephrata settlement, but not so the daughter of Peter Klopf, who remained steadfast. Her monastic name was "Thecla" and is so listed on the roster of the Sisterhood. She died Oct. 6, 1748, probably at Ephrata. Peter Klop died in 1753. [See Sachse's "German Sectarians of Pennsylvania, 1708-1742."]

(II) Peter Klopp (Klop), son of Peter, born Nov. 22, 1719, died May 22, 1794, and is buried at Hain's Church, where the inscription on his headstone is still legible. His wife, Werrina Becker (in), born Jan. 24, 1718, died Nov. 13, 1792.

(III) Peter Klopp (3), son of Peter (2) and Werrina, born in Heidelberg May 31, 1751, died there Feb. 24, 1835, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He was buried at the Corner Church. In April, 1800, he purchased for 1800 in gold and silver money, from Peter Knobb, the farm near Klopp's Store, now owned by William D. Klopp. On Aug. 15, 1800, he sold this farm to his son and namesake, Peter (4), for the same price he himself had given; and on July 13, 1838, Peter Klopp (4) sold it to his son, Peter (5), for $6,200. In 1867, after the death of Peter (5), the farm came into the possession of William D. Klopp, the present owner. Peter Klopp (3) was twice married. His first wife, Elizabeth Hain, died about 1783, the mother of four children, namely: Catharine died aged seventeen years; Elizabeth died aged two years; John Peter is mentioned in full farther on; a daughter died young. The second wife of Peter Klopp (3) was Elizabeth Fidler, born April 28, 1763, died Jan. 10, 1835, a descendant of Godfried Fidler. Fifteen children were born to this marriage, namely: John Adam m. Sarah Keiser, and had thirteen children, nine sons and four daughters; John m. Sarah Bucks, and had six sons and two daughters; Benjamin (who died Sept. 19, 1819) m. Elizabeth Ernst, and had children - Eli, John H. (who had a son Benjamin), Anna and Isaac (Benjamin's wife administered his estate); Margaret m. Jacob Wagner, and had eight children; Elizabeth m. Jacob Dundore, and had eleven children; Anna Maria m. John Gerhart and had five sons and two daughters; Catharine m. John Lamm, and had eight children; Susanna m. Jacob Ernst, and had three sons and seven daughters; Daniel m. (first) Susanna Brossman, and had seven sons and four daughters, and m. (second) Mrs. Ocks (no issue); Joseph m. (first) Christine Stine, had ten children, and (second) Catharine Reedy (no issue); Sarah m. John Faust, and had four children; Isaac m. (first) Henrietta Leiss, and had eight children, and m. (second) Mrs. Stamm, and had one child; three sons died young. In about the year 1850 there were 112 grandchildren.

(IV) John Klopp, son of Peter (3), was born Aug. 30, 17--. He was a pioneer farmer in Tulpehocken township, and there his death occurred when he had reached the patriarchal age of eighty-nine years, ten months, twenty-one days. He is buried at Tulpehocken Church. In the early days he had all the experiences which fall to the settler on wild land. On one occasion, while his wife was milking the cows in the barn yard, a wild deer leaped over the fence to the cattle. Much timber surrounded their cabin. Mr. Klopp was a soldier in the war of 1812. He m. Sarah Bucks, daughter of John and Elizabeth Bucks, born Aug. 26, 1783, died June 24, 1860, aged seventy-six years, nine months, twenty-eight days. Their children were: John, of Tulpehocken; David, of North Heidelberg; Jonathan, born July 2, 1818, died April 5, 1897, who lived on the homestead some years (m. Elizabeth Anspach, 1824-1886); Elias, mentioned below; Daniel, of Tulpehocken; Elizabeth (m. David Kilmer); Sallie (m. William Zeller); and a son that died in infancy.

(V) Elias Klopp, son of John, born July 2, 1818, died Sept. 9, 1856, aged thirty-eight years, two months, seven days. He was a farmer on the old homestead in Tulpehocken township. He m. Evalina Walborn, born Jan. 26, 1827, daughter of Andrew and Catharine (Kline) Walborn, of Marion township. She died Nov. 11, 1856, in her thirtieth year. Both she and her husband, who had died but nine weeks before, were the victims of typhoid fever, and both are buried at the Tulpehocken Church. They were the parents of two sons, Andrew J. and Isaac P. Elias Klopp was an official in the church at the time of his death.

(VI) Andrew J. Klopp, son of Elias, was born in Tulpehocken township, July 7, 1846. His early life and young manhood were passed upon the farm, and he hired out to neighboring farmers until he was twenty-eight years of age. When but sixteen he went to Wayne county, Ohio, and there remained three and a half years, doing farm work. In 1873 he began to work for himself in Marion township, Berks county, two miles north of Stouchsburg, where he and his brother, Isaac P., had purchased a farm of 126 acres. They farmed this in partnership for some years, and then Andrew J. took the farm and cultivated it alone for sixteen years. He then sold out his stock and retired, but continued to live on the place a few years before moving to his comfortable home in Stouchsburg, where he still resides. He rents this farm to his son David. Mr. Klopp has two other farms in Marion township, each of 115 acres, and these he has tenanted. He also owns the tract of land originally owned by Adam Schuetz, as well as the upper part of the tract first owned by Balthar Anspach. [See Charles I. Lindenmuth's Map of Pioneers of Tulpehocken Valley, in Vol. I. of this work.]

In his political views Mr. Klopp is a Republican, and has always been interested in his party's welfare, taking an active interest in the work in his own community. He is a member of the Order of Good Fellows of Stouchsburg. With his family he belongs to the Tulpehocken Reformed Church, in which he has held all the offices, and he has been a valuable member in aiding with time and means every good work undertaken. He liberally aided in the remodeling of the church in 1894.

In 1873 Andrew J. Klopp m. Catharine S. Fisher, daughter of Adam L. and Amelia (Filbert) Fisher, granddaughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lauck) Fisher and great-granddaughter of Johannes Fisher. Three sons blessed this union: Isaac W., vice-president of the Philadelphia Typewriter Exchange; David A., a farmer on the homestead (m. Bessie Klopp, daughter of Albert and granddaughter of Jonathan, and has four sons -J. Miles, Andrew A., Homer W. and Walter W.); and Warren E., a student still in school.

(VI) Isaac P. Klopp, son of Elias, born in Heidelberg Aug. 31, 1849, was but seven years of age when his parents died, and he made his home with his grandfather, John Klopp, until he was eighteen years of age. By that time he had become familiar with such duties as fall to the lot of a boy on the farm, and he was hired out to farmers during the summer months, but in the winters he remained in his grandfather's home and attended school. At thirteen years of age he went to Wayne county, Ohio, and remained three years. He continued to engage in farm work for others until 1873, when he and his brother, Andrew J., purchased, as before stated, a fine farm of 126 acres, which they cultivated jointly for seven years. In 1882 Isaac P. purchased an excellent farm of eighty-five acres, and located two and a quarter miles due north of Stouchsburg. This tract was originally owned by Hans George Seigner, as is shown on the map of early settlers prepared by Charles I. Lindenmuth. Here he lived and prospered until 1905, a period of twenty-three years. In the fall of 1905 he purchased his present place and moved thereon. This was a Peiffer homestead, and consists of seven acres of land, with a commodious house and substantial outbuildings.

In politics Mr. Klopp is a Republican. He is a member of the Tulpehocken German Reformed Church in Jackson township, Lebanon county, located but three hundred yards from the Berks county line. He served as deacon and elder for a number of years, and at the present time is a trustee. He is also a member of Washington Camp, No. 237, P. O. S. of A., of Stouchsburg.

Isaac P. Klopp has been twice married. His first wife, Annie E. Peiffer, daughter of Edward and Caroline (Behne) Peiffer, born Aug. 17, 1859, died March 5, 1885, when but twenty-five years, six months, eighteen days old. For his second wife Mr. Klopp married Adalina M. Seibert, daughter of Johnson and Susanna (Winter) Seibert (the former a retired farmer), and granddaughter of George and Sarah (Miller) Seibert. By his first marriage Mr. Klopp became the father of two children: Herbert A., a tenant on his father's farm, m. Gertie Reedy, daughter of Frank and Susanna (Ruth) Reedy, and has three children -Merle E., Marguerite C. and Elsie S.; and Carrie I. m. Wallace Uhrich, and has a son, Russel K.

(IV) John Peter Klopp, born Sept. 11, 1775, son of Peter (3) and his first wife, Elizabeth (Hain), was a lifelong farmer on the old homestead. He died March 13, 1850, aged seventy-four years, six months, two days, and was buried at the Corner Church. He m. Maria Eva Ulrich, born May 20, 1768, died Dec. 13, 1830, in the sixty-third year of her age. Their children were: John Peter, father of William D., is mentioned farther on; Daniel owned a farm adjoining that of his brother John Peter, now owned by John W. Fisher (his children were Rebecca, William L., Jonathan L., Henrietta, Amanda, Elenora, Sarah, Amelia, Jane and Caroline, the last named dying young); and Catharine (1804-1870) m. Adam Leiss (1803-1875), of Leiss' Bridge, and they later lived in Reading, where they died and are buried in the Charles Evans cemetery.

(V) John Peter Klopp (2) son of John Peter, born April 1, 1801, died July 18, 1866, and was buried at the Corner Church. His life was passed in farming on the place now owned by his son William D. He was active in church life, and held office in the old Northkill Church for many years. His wife was Margaret Kalbach, daughter of John and Susanna (Ruth) Kalbach, born Nov. 6, 1806, died on the home farm Nov. 18, 1853, in the forty-eighth year of her age. They were the parents of seven children, as follows: Amelia S. died unmarried; William D.; Rebecca died aged fourteen years; Adam died aged four years; Emma m. Levi Ludwig; Sarah J. m. John Knor; Clara died in infancy.

(VI) William D. Klopp, son of John Peter (2) and now a prosperous farmer in North Heidelberg township, was born there July 2, 1837. He was trained to farming, and at the age of twenty-one commenced for himself on one of the farms which had descended from the great-grandfather, Peter, through John Peter and John Peter (2), father of William D. This farm is located near Klopp's Store, in a fertile agricultural valley, and consists of 170 acres. After about thirty-five years, devoted to the cultivation of this tract Mr. Klopp retired in 1890, since which time he has divided his time between his comfortable home on the farm and the cities of Reading and Philadelphia.

Mr. Klopp is a Republican in political principle. He and his family are members of the North Heidelberg Reformed Church, of which he was deacon and elder for many years.

In 1858 Mr. Klopp m. Sarah Wenrich, daughter of Paul and Salome (Leiss) Wenrich. They have three children: Lewis is a well-known druggist of Philadelphia, in which city he resides at No. 618 Lehigh avenue; Dr. Peter P., residing at No. 618 Lehigh avenue, Philadelphia, m. Tacy R. Hunt, daughter of John Hunt, and has a son, John W.; Kate M. m. James Henne, of Reading, and has a son, William.

(V) Daniel Klopp, son of John Peter and Maria Eva (Ulrich) Klopp, spent his life in North Heidelberg township, where he was a well-known farmer and business man. He owned the 133-acre farm which later became the property of his son William L. (and now belongs to John W. Fisher, ex-director of the poor), as well as a thirty-acre tract on which was situated his store building. His son Jonathan L. was his successor in the mercantile business. He was an official in the Northkill Church, of which his wife was also a member. He m. Margaret Leiss, daughter of Adam Leiss, and they became the parents of ten children: Rebecca m. Nathan Lamm; Henrietta m. Adam Minnick; William L.; Amanda m. Adam Miller; Jonathan L. m. Ellenora Minnich; Elenora m. Nathan Dundore; Sallie m. Adam Heck; Jane m. James Conrad; Amelia died unmarried; Caroline died young.

(VI) William L. Klopp, son of Daniel, was born June 15, 1831, in North Heidelberg township, where he still makes his home. For many years he cultivated the 133-acre tract mentioned above, but since 1888 he has been retired from active work. In politics he has been a Republican, and has been prominent in township matters, serving as supervisor and school director. Until 1897 he was a member of the old Northkill Church, but since that date he has been a member of the St. Thomas Reformed Church of Bernville. He now makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. Fox, of Mount Zion, Lebanon Co., Pa. Mr. Klopp was twice married. By his first wife, Isabella Brights, he had eleven children: Morgan B. (m. Annie C. Potteiger), Calvin (deceased), Henry (died young), Emma R. (m. Frank Fox), Ida I. (m. John Wagner), Isabella and William, twins (died in infancy), Margaret (died young), Irwin D. (m. Rosanna Heckler), Edwin J. (m. Lizzie C. Gruber) and Sallie A. (m. Jacob Leinbach). Mr. Klopp's second marriage was to Sarah Mosser, daughter of Benneville Mosser, and to this union came one child, Elenora J., who died at the age of twelve years.

(VII) Morgan B. Klopp, son of William L., was born in North Heidelberg township, Oct. 13, 1854, and worked on his father's farm until he was twenty-three years old. He then went to Lockhaven Seminary where he took up the study of music. After one year there he suffered from a severe attack of rheumatism, which prevented him continuing his studies. On Feb. 7, 1880, he married Annie Catharine Potteiger, daughter of William N. Potteiger, of Jefferson township. In that same year he was elected organist of the North Heidelberg church, and moved with his family into the Church property. In 1882 he also accepted the position of organist of Host Church, for three years, and then resigned to devote more time to the instruction of private lessons on piano or organ, to fifty or more pupils at that time, but later his pupils numbered eighty. In 1881 he organized Klopp's Cornet Band of North Heidelberg. In 1888 he was elected organist and choir master of Zion's Lutheran and Reformed Church of Womelsdorf, and moved his family to that town to live in the house furnished by the church, and there he resided until his death. While at Womelsdorf he also accepted the position of organist of the Tulpehocken Reformed Church, in Lebanon county, and was able to hold three Churches with the assistance of his son Eugene (born Nov. 8, 1880, who at the age of sixteen years, was able to fill his father's position). From this time he was organist of a fourth church, namely, St. Elias Lutheran and Reformed Church of Newmanstown, Lebanon Co., Pa., and a short time afterward, he became organist and choir director of St. Daniel's (Corner) Lutheran and Reformed Church, of Robesonia. These five positions he filled for two years with his son's assistance, and then resigned from St. Elias' Church, to accept in its stead the St. Paul's Reformed Church, which had separated from St. Daniel's (Corner) Church. He continued in active work up to his death, which was caused by apoplexy, while engaged in his official work in the North Heidelberg Church, April 28, 1908. He died July 4, 1908, at Klopp & Kalbach's residence whither he had been conveyed from the church.

Before his marriage, he was a public school teacher of Eyrich's school, Klopp's school of North Heidelberg, and two years in the Bernville Schools.

With his music pupils scattered over a large area, and five congregations he was also elected leader of Minnehaha Band of Womelsdorf, a position he held several years, and also instructor of the Mt. Pleasant Band, and of Mt. Zion Band of Lebanon county. For five terms he was a school director in Womelsdorf, and was treasurer of the Board the last four terms. Fraternally he was a member of Golden Rule Lodge, No. 159, I. O. O. F.; and of the O. U. A. M., both of Womelsdorf.

To Mr. Klopp and his wife were born children as follows: Eugene P., born Nov. 8, 1880, lives at Robesonia; Laura P., born Feb. 9, 1883, lives at Womelsdorf; W. Raymond, born Nov. 22, 1886, lives at Philadelphia; and J. Harold, born Oct. 9, 1895, lives at Womelsdorf.

(VIII) Irwin D. Klopp, son of William L., was born in North Heidelberg township Jan. 28, 1861, and passed his boyhood days under the parental roof, attending the district schools until he was eighteen years of age. He began farming the Host Church property for his brother Morgan B., who was chorister of the church, in 1885, and three years later began the operation of his father's property, continuing there for fifteen years. In 1907 he retired from farming and moved to West Reading, where he is the efficient highway commissioner. For four years before his retirement he was in Lower Heidelberg township, where he was engaged in the cultivation of the farm of John H. Evans. In politics he is a Republican. He and his family are Reformed members of St. Thomas's Church of Bernville, in which for two years he was deacon. In the burying ground of this church rest the remains of many of the Klopp family. Mr. Klopp is a member of Golden Rule Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F., of Womelsdorf.

On Aug. 26, 1882, Mr. Klopp m. Rosanna Hechler, born March 2, 1863, daughter of Amos and Elizabeth (Kissling) Hechler, the former of whom, a carpenter by trade, conducted a sawmill for the last ten years of his life. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Klopp: Minnie E. (m. Charles C. Lamm, a grocer at West Reading, and has one child, Helen May); Sallie I., and Harry I., at home; and William D. and Ellen May, who died young.

(VII) Edwin J. Klopp, son of William L., was born in North Heidelberg township, April 29, 1863, and was reared upon the home farm, working for his father until he was twenty years old. He then moved to Wernersville, where he became assistant station agent, having previously learned telegraphy at Oberlin, Ohio. He remained in the service of the company at Wernersville for five years, and for the same company was brakeman on a passenger train running between Philadelphia and Pottsville for another five years. In 1893 he became a conductor on the Mt. Penn Gravity Road, remaining one year, and then was in the employ of the United Traction Company of Reading for seven years. For three years he was employed by the city, at the disposal plant. In the spring of 1905 Mr. Klopp was appointed by a Democratic city engineer, Elmer H. Beard, as a clerk in the sewer department. Mr. Klopp is himself a strong Republican, his appointment being made solely on his merits. On May 1, 1908, he was appointed by the Hon. William Rick, mayor, a policeman of Reading, which position he holds at the present time. He is an excellent penman, and has some fine pen drawings made when he was twenty-one years old. These he has framed, and has exhibited them at fairs, where he has received a number of premiums. He and his family are members of the Reformed Church, and he has been active in church and Sunday-school work for a number of years.

On Oct. 31, 1885, Mr. Klopp m. Lizzie C. Gruber, daughter of Isaac and Sarah (Strunk) Gruber, and they have one son, William G. They reside in a comfortable residence at No. 952 North Ninth street, Reading. Mrs. Klopp is an expert in designing artistic gowns.


KLUSEWITZ, LAWRENCE M.

p. 1489

Surnames: KLUSEWITZ, PLUSKIESKA, BLUSKEWITZ, BLIASKEWISK, GARST, NURNBURG, KALMUND

Lawrence M. Klusewitz, who follows the carpenter's trade at Reading, was born Oct. 11, 1857, in Prussia, Germany, a son of Michael and Mary (Pluskieska) Klusewitz.

Michael Klusewitz was born Sept. 6, 1829, in Prussia, where he attended school until he was fourteen years of age and then engaged in farm work. In 1872, he came to America and located at Reading, which has been his home until the present, and is living with his son, John Klusewitz. He was in the employ of the Reading Railway Co., for many years. He was married three times, (first) to Mary Pluskieska, (second) to Mary Bluskewitz, (third) to Annie Bliaskewisk. The children born to his first marriage were: John; Lawrence; Joseph, who has been on the Reading police force since 1902; and Julia. To his second union were born Annie and Frank, and to his third were born: Anthony, Thomas, Celia and Benjamin, the latter of whom is a soldier in the U. S. Army.

Lawrence M. Klusewitz was fifteen years of age when his parents came to America and settled at Reading, where he attended the public schools until he was eighteen. In 1876 he learned the carpenter trade with George M. Garst, of Reading, and his first work was on the present Junior Fire company house on Walnut street. He has worked continuously as a journeyman, sometimes at Reading and through Berks, Schuylkill, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties.

In 1885, Mr. Klusewitz was married to Theresa Nurnburg, daughter of Peter and Gertrude (Kalmund) Nurnburg, of the Rhine Province. Mr. and Mrs. Klusewitz had eight children, namely: Mary, Joseph, Peter, Joseph (2) deceased, Leonard, Gertrude, Joseph (3) deceased, and Helena. Mr. Klusewitz was bereft of his wife, who died Aug. 17, 1901, aged thirty-nine years, she having been born July 19, 1862. He is a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church, and of the Holy Cross Association. He is identified with the Carpenters' Union. His comfortable home is located at No. 705 Dick street.


KLUSEWITZ, MATTHIAS

p. 1200

Surnames: KLUSEWITZ, KATMUND, ADAMS, SMEAGY, KLAES

Matthias Klusewitz, a well known citizen of Reading, Pa., died at his residence No. 25 South Tenth street, July 16, 1906. He was born in the vicinity of Graudenz, Germany, a town which was originally a hamlet in Poland, but owing to the wars that frequently ensued, in a series of rebellions, was ceded to Germany. In these struggles, however, Mr. Klusewitz at no time took part.

At the age of fifteen years Mr. Klusewitz left home, going to Graudenz, where he learned the trade of blacksmithing, and found employment in Barmen, a German town. Here he remained for a few years, after which he traveled from one town to another through Europe. Thinking that possibly he might better his fortune in America, he accordingly set sail with his wife in 1848, and arrived in Philadelphia, from which city, after several years, he came to Reading. He was the pioneer Polander in this city, and was the first man to obtain employment for a fellow countryman at the Reading Pipe Mills. Upon his arrival in Reading he started in business at Seventh and Cherry streets, and then opened a shop at Canal and Bingaman streets, where he continued one year, when he accepted a position at the Scott Works. Following this he became a foreman at the forge of the Philadelphia & Reading shops, his work being the making of springs for the cars, and he also had charge over the boilermaking department. Subsequently Mr. Klusewitz engaged in the real estate business, in which he was quite successful.

Mr. Klusewitz was a man of considerable means. He was an active church worker. When he came to Reading he joined St. Peter's Catholic Church, later St. Paul's and lastly St. Mary's Polish Catholic Church, of which he was one of the founders. He was patriotic, and assisted those who came from his native land.

Mr. Klusewitz was married (first) to Catharine Katmund, born at Gaennersdorf, Rhein-Preussen, Germany, but there were no children born to this union, and he and his wife adopted and reared: Lawrence; Elizabeth; Edward; Kate and Henry Adams; Josephine Smeagy and Anna. Mr. Klusewitz m. (second) Elizabeth Klaes, daughter of John Joseph Klaes, who came to America Nov. 11, 1881, from Germany. She located in Reading, where she married Mr. Klusewitz Feb. 14, 1886, at St. Paul's Catholic Church, and they became the parents of these children: Matthew A., attending Stoner's Business College; Peter G., at the same college; Martha Elizabeth, attending boarding school; Andrew J. F., attending school; and Matthias, Margaret and Michael, deceased. Mrs. Klusewitz resides at the Tenth street home. She has in her possession, and greatly values, an old family book, brought from Germany, which is 360 years old, it having been printed by one of the first printing-presses at Strassburg, Germany.


KNABB, DANIEL YODER

p. 856

Surnames: KNABB, YODER, OYSTER, SELTZER, DE TURK, SHENKEL, ARMPRIESTER, CLEAVER, BUSH, WILSON, CLARK, HIMMELBERGER, DERR, ESPENSHADE, MARCH, HOOK, MOCK, HERFLICKER, HARRISON

Daniel Yoder Knabb, who died in 1887, was born in 1804, the eldest son of Jacob and Hannah (Yoder) Knabb, the latter the daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Oyster) Yoder.

The Knabb family was founded in America by Michael Knabb, who was born at Pfeldesheim, Bavaria, April 17, 1717, and emigrated to America in 1737, with two brothers, John and Peter, the former of whom died single in the forty-eighth year of his age, while the latter died when seventy-four years old, having many descendants in Berks county. Michael Knabb m. Eva Magdalena Seltzer, only child of Jacob and Elizabeth Seltzer, of Heidelberg township. They became the parents of the following children: Nicholas, Peter, Jacob, Daniel, Susan, Sarah, Catherine and Mary. Michael Knabb died June 17, 1778, and he and his brothers are buried in the family burying ground in Oley township.

Jacob Knabb, the third son of Michael, was born in Oley township in 1771. In 1800 he married Hannah Yoder, daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Oyster) Yoder. They moved to Union township, on the property now owned and occupied by Morris De Turk. He died in February, 1825, and his wife in August, 1824. Their children were: Daniel Y.; George, born in 1807; Margaret, in 1810; Catherine, in 1812; Hannah, in 1814; and Jacob, in 1817.

The Yoders are descended from John Yoder, who settled in Oley township in 1720, having emigrated from Switzerland with his wife and six children. John Yoder, Jr., son of John, married a Shenkel, and among their children were: Daniel; and Jacob, who moved to Ohio, and was the first person to go down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers in a flat boat.

Daniel Yoder, son of John, Jr., married Margaret Oyster, and their children were: Hannah m. Jacob Knabb; Daniel; Martin; Catherine; Mary; John; Margaret; and David.

Daniel Yoder Knabb was married in 1855 to Malinda C. Armpriester, who was born July 22, 1827, daughter of Samuel and Anna (Cleaver) Armpriester, granddaughter of Jonathan Armpriester, and great-granddaughter of Matthias Armpriester. The Armpriesters are all buried at Amityville.

The children born to Daniel Y. and Malinda C. Knabb were as follows: (1) Franklin B., born March 9, 1857, married Miss Catherine Bush, who died Aug. 24, 1897, and is buried at Birdsboro. They had children: Arthur L. m. Rachael Wilson, and has a daughter, Dorothy E.; Clara m. George W. Clark, and has three children, Dorothy, Hilda and Robert. (2) David Y., born April 27, 1858, m. Emma Himmelberger, and has one daughter, Lydia. (3) Ida A., born Dec. 30, 1859, died Sept. 18, 1862. (4) Catherine D., born Feb. 6, 1861, died July 24, 1879. (5) Ella R., born Nov. 24, 1862, m. D. B. Derr, has two children, Mabel and Raymond, and resides in Reading. (6) Howard M., born Jan. 19, 1864, m. Annie Espenshade, and has one daughter, Marguerite. (7) Anna, born May 2, 1865, m. Irvin L. March, and has one son, Paul. (8) Malinda A., born June 15, 1866, m. G. Washington Hook, and has four children, Dora, Lee, Gail and Martha. (9) Sarah K., born in 1867, lives with her mother. (10) Lillian M., born Jan. 24, 1869, m. William Mock, and has two sons, Frank and Howard. (11) Louisa A., born Dec. 7, 1870, m. Charles Herflicker, and has three children, William, Leanna and Marguerite.

Although Mrs. Knabb has passed her eightieth birthday, her memory is remarkable, and she takes a great interest in all that is transpiring, being a great reader. Her beautiful home is situated on the public road leading from Birdsboro to Monocacy. This was the property of Daniel Harrison, and was purchased by Mr. Knabb in 1867. Mrs. Knabb is one of the township's most venerable ladies, and is esteemed and beloved by all who know her.


KNABB, JACOB

p. 568

Surnames: KNABB, YODER, SELTZER, GETZ, ANDREWS, JAMESON, WORMAN

Jacob Knabb, in whose death, which occurred Jan. 30, 1889, at his home in Reading, this city and section lost a man of more than ordinary distinction, was born in Union township, Berks county, Aug. 21, 1817, son of Jacob, Sr., and Hannah (Yoder) Knabb, and grandson of Michael and Eve Magdalena (Seltzer) Knabb.

Michael Knabb, the grandfather, was a native of Bavaria, born at Pfeldersheim, in the Pfalz, April 17, 1717. About 1737, in company with his two brothers, John and Peter, he came to America, and settled near the Exeter township line, in Oley township, Berks county, Pa., on the farm now occupied by Samuel B. Knabb. The old house was burned in 1816-17, and the same year the present house was erected. A family cemetery on the farm contains the remains of the three brothers and many of their descendants. John died in the forty-eighth year of his age, unmarried, but Peter lived to his seventy-fourth year and left a numerous progeny. Michael Knabb married, on March 11, 1755, Eve Magdalena Seltzer, only child of Jacob and Elizabeth Seltzer, of Heidelberg township, and they became the parents of eight children: Nicholas, Peter, Jacob, Daniel, Susan, Sarah, Catharine and Mary. Michael Knabb died June 17, 1778, in the sixty-second year of his age, and was laid to rest in the family cemetery above mentioned.

Jacob Knabb, son of Michael, was born in Oley township in 1771. Soon after his marriage, in 1800, he moved to Union township, where he prospered as a farmer. He died in February, 1825. In 1800 he married Hannah Yoder, daughter of John Yoder, and a descendant of John (Hansel) Yoder, a Huguenot, who on account of religious persecution emigrated from Switzerland in the early part of the eighteenth century, and went first to England, thence coming to America and locating early in Oley township, Berks county. From John (Hansel) Yoder, Mrs. Knabb's descent is through John (2) and Daniel. To Jacob and Hannah (Yoder) Knabb were born six children: Daniel, George, Jacob, Margaret, Catharine and Hannah. The mother died in August, 1824.

Picture of Jacob KnabbJacob Knabb, son of Jacob, and the subject of this sketch, was but seven years old when his parents died. Until he was about eleven he attended the pay schools of the township, making his home with an elder sister. He apprenticed himself to learn the printer's trade under George Getz, of the Berks and Schuylkill Journal, and remained there until Mr. Getz sold the paper. By this time Mr. Knabb realized the benefit of an education, and he set about remedying his deficiency in that line, studying for one year in the Lititz school, and for another year in Lafayette College. From the time he left college until 1840 he was engaged in printing in Reading, and in Harrisburg. In the latter city he worked on the Harrisburg Telegraph, where the State printing was done, and he held the position of foreman for a time. In 1840, with Mr. J. Lawrence Getz, he began the publication of a weekly paper, the Reading Gazette, but in 1843 he sold his share, and the next year found him in Harrisburg, publishing the Clay Bugle, a campaign paper. In 1845 he came back to Reading, and became the editor of the Berks and Schuylkill Journal, some time later becoming also its proprietor. This he continued for about forty-five years. In 1866 he associated two partners with himself, and the firm became J. Knabb & Co. Three years later (1869) they purchased the Reading Daily Times, and some years afterward the Evening Dispatch, and the two papers were consolidated under the name of Reading Times and Dispatch, and published daily and weekly. Prosperity attended the venture, and in 1881 Mr. Knabb erected the substantial four-story brick building, which became the paper's home.

Mr. Knabb's mature life was devoted to the interests of Reading, and he was particularly prominent in all public movements which contributed to the spread of education. The Reading Library received his assistance for many years, and for many years he was its president, up to the time of his death. During the Civil war he responded to the call for emergency militia in 1863, and after the battle of Gettysburg he served in Maryland as a member of Company C, 42d P. V. I.

Mr. Knabb case his first vote in support of the Whig party, and when the Republican party was formed he became one of its active supporters, acting for some years as chairman of the county Republican committee. In 1860 he was a delegate to the Chicago Convention from the Berks district, which nominated Abraham Lincoln for President. He was postmaster of Reading under that administration, and in 1876 he was Presidential elector from this Congressional district and cast his ballot for President Hayes. He was prominent and influential in party politics for a quarter of a century.

In 1878 Mr. Knabb, with a friend as a companion, made an extended tour through Europe, and his letters, published from time to time in his paper, were so full of interest that he was urged to publish them in book form, but with his natural modesty he declined. In 1856 he published the first directory of Reading.

Mr. Knabb was twice married. In 1846 he married Ellen C. Andrews, daughter of Machiavel Andrews. During the Civil war she was active in caring for soldiers in the local hospital, and was in charge of one of the departments of the Sanitary Fair, at Philadelphia. She was a member of Christ Episcopal Church, and was a great friend of the poor and needy. Her death in 1875 was universally regretted. In 1879 Mr. Knabb married (second) Ellen M. Jameson, daughter of James and Mary (Worman) Jameson, the former a well-known and successful merchant at Reading. Mr. Knabb early became a communicant of the Episcopal Church, and served as vestrymen many years. He held the confidence and goodwill of all.


KNABB, PETER H.

p. 1312

Surnames: KNABB, SELTZER, HERBEIN, BEIDLER, ZACHARIAS, BIEBER, KNAUSS, RHODES, HERTZOG, SCHAEFFER, RITTER, HARTMAN, SCHMECK, STECKEL, SNYDER, ANGSTADT, REIFF, KECK

Peter H. Knabb, poor director of Berks county and a very well-known teacher, is engaged in farming in Oley township, where he was born Nov. 15, 1867, a member of an old and numerous family of Berks county.

The Knabb family was planted in Berks county by three brothers, Michael, John and Peter Knabb, who were born in Pfeldersheim, in Pfalz, Bavaria (which formerly belonged to France, but was restored to Bavaria in 1813). They emigrated to this country about 1737, and so far as is known, are so far as is known, are the only members of the family to have emigrated from the eastern to the western hemisphere. Michael (born April 17, 1717) settled in Oley township, on the farm now occupied by Samuel B. Knabb, near the Exeter line. The old house was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1816-1817, and the present house was erected the following summer. A family graveyard near the dwelling contains the remains of the three brothers and a number of their descendants. John died unmarried in the forty-eighth year of his age; Peter died in the seventy-fourth year of his age, and most of his descendants live in Berks county; Michael, who married Eva Magdalena Seltzer, died June 17, 1778.

Peter Knabb, son of Peter, the emigrant, and great-grandfather of Peter H., was a farmer in Oley township, and built his home in 1806. He was a member of Spies's Church. The records show he must have been prominent in public affairs, and he was a county commissioner from 1819 to 1822. He married Sarah Herbein, and their children were: William; Nathan, of Oley township, whose children were -- Susan, Rebecca, Jacob, Emma (Beidler) and Amanda; and Sarah, who married Daniel Zacharias, of Muhlenberg township.

William Knabb, son of Peter, was a farmer in Oley township, and on his fine home farm there he erected a substantial barn in 1866. He was a large landowner, owning four fine farms and the mill property now owned by John Bieber, consisting of five hundred acres at the time of his death. He was one of the substantial men of his township, and was very prominent in the affairs of the county. From 1849 to 1852 he served as poor director, and from 1855 to 1858 as county commissioner. He died in 1867, aged sixty-six years and was buried in the Knabb family plot at Spies's Church Cemetery Company, and was its first president, being succeeded by his son Peter H. He married Margaret Knauss, and they became the parents of eight children: Mary Ann, who married Samuel Rhodes, of Amity township; Hannah, who married Jacob D. Hertzog, of Exeter township; Charles, who is prominent in business and politics in Hiawatha, Kansas; Albert, of Reading; Mahlon; Emeline, who married Jacob Schaeffer, of Exeter township; Harriet, who married John Ritter, of Exeter township; and Augustus, of Reading.

Mahlon Knabb, son of William, and a life-long farmer of Oley, was born May 27, 1841, and he died Dec. 20, 1902, aged sixty-one years, six months, twenty-three days, and is buried at Spies's Church. He was the owner of a large farm of 184 acres of the best land in Oley Valley, one of the original Knabb homesteads. The house was built in 1806 by Peter Knabb. The old part of the house is of log, and was built long before the American Revolution. The present barn was built in 1855. In politics, Mr. Knabb is a Democrat, and he served his fellow citizens very efficiently as auditor and as school director in Oley. He married Sarah Hartman, daughter of Peter and Esther (Schmeck) Hartman, of Alsace

township. Mrs. Knabb still lives on the homestead. She has the old family Bible, and is also the owner of Peter Knabb's clock. To Mahlon and Sarah Knabb were born children as follows: Margaret, wife of John D. Bieber, Oley; William, a farmer of Exeter township; Peter H.; Mahlon H., of Oley township; Sallie, who married Edward Steckel, of South Bethlehem, Pa.; Lucetta, who married A. H. Snyder, of Oley township; Edward H., of Exeter township; Warren, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Ellen, who married Robert Angstadt, of Blandon, Pa.; and Miss Clara, who resides with her mother.

Peter H. Knabb, son of Mahlon, was reared to farming, and he obtained his intellectual training at home and in the public schools of Oley, Oley Academy and the Keystone State Normal School. When but fifteen years of age he began teaching in Pike township, and in 1884 was at Lobachsville, same township. Since then he has taught each term in his home township, eight terms at Wiest's school, seventeen at Kiefer's.

He was licensed to teach by Prof. D. S. Keck, and was awarded a professional certificate in 1889 by him, and in 1890 he passed the examination of the State Board, obtaining a permanent certificate. He is one of the most successful instructors in the county and is keenly alive to the needs of the public schools. He is active in the work of the annual teachers institutes, and is tireless in his efforts to benefit the schools.

Fraternally, Mr. Knabb is a member of Washington Camp No. 221, P. O. S. of A., at Oley Line; Griesemersville Lodge, No. 1109, I. O. O. F.; and the K. G. E., No. 119, at Oley. He and his family are members of Spies's Reformed Church, and he is, as stated before, president of the Cemetery Company. Mr. Knabb is a Democrat, and has long been active in his work for the welfare of his chosen party. Since 1892 he has been tax assessor of Oley township. For several years he served the township as committeeman; and in the fall of 1906 was elected poor director of the county, and is now filling that responsible office. He resides on a farm of ten acres in Oley, on the road leading from Friedensburg to Yellow House.

On Aug. 15, 1891, Mr. Knabb was married to Amanda Hartman, daughter of Jeremiah and Rebecca (Reiff) Hartman, of Oley township, and their children are: Minnie, Sarah, Verna, Gertie, Edna, Alfred Peter, Olivia, Carrie and Beulah.


KNAPP, GEORGE

p. 773

Surnames: KNAPP, SAUER, KLUMP, MERKEL, SPOOER, HERMAN, REISINGER, BARKERT, MILLER, SMITH, BURKHART

George Knapp, who died May 20, 1904, was for many years a highly esteemed resident of Reading, Pa., and for a long period an employe of the Philadelphia & Reading car shops in that city. He was born in Reading in 1847, son of George Knapp, Sr., a resident of Reading, and a native of Germany.

George Knapp, Sr., was a stone cutter by trade and a skilled mechanic. He died at his home, No. 913 Buttonwood street, leaving these children: Margaret, m. to John Sauer, who is engaged in die shoe business on North Ninth street, Reading; Barbara, m. to William Klump; John; Rosa, m. to Frederick Merkel, a boss in the polishing department of the shops of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad; Katie, m. to Henry Spooer; and George.

George Knapp received his educational training in the schools of Reading, and when a young man learned the shoemaking trade with John Herman at Ninth and Penn streets. After following that trade for a period of fourteen years he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading shops, and was working in the bolt drilling department when he became paralyzed in his right leg, during the cyclone which destroyed the shops in 1889. From that time until his death Mr. Knapp lived retired.

Mr. Knapp married Miss Mary Reisinger, daughter of Wolfgang and Mary Reisinger, natives of Germany. Mr. Reisinger, who for a number of years was employed as a watchman at the Scott works, Reading, died at the age of seventy.seven years, three months. Mr. and Mrs, Knapp had the following children: Miss Maggie is at home; Rosa m. Peter Barkert, and has children- Mary, Charles, Loretta, Margaret, Jane and Naomi; Martha m. John Miller, a farmer near Blandon, and has five children. Ethel, Joseph, George, Helen and Bernert; Albert, a foreman in the machine department of the shops, m. Minnie Smith, and has one daughter, Dorothy; and Elizabeth m. William F. Burkhart, who is engaged in the ice business at No. 939 Moss street, and has one daughter, Irene. Mr. Knapp, was a stanch Democrat in political matters and served on the election board of the Ninth ward. He was a faithful member of St. Paul's. Catholic Church, and is a member of the two lodges connected therewith. He was also identified with the Philadelphia & Reading Relief Association and with the Rainbow Fire Company. He was well known in his community, where he had hosts of friends. Mrs. Knapp, who survives her husband, resides at No. 353 Moss street.


KNETZ, JOHN

p. 1543

Surnames: KNETZ, BINDER, BOYER, SCHELL, RUTH, TREXLER, TREICHLER, MOLL, MILLER, LANDIS, STAUFFER, BEIDLER, SHARP

John Knetz, in his lifetime a farmer of Hereford township, Berks county, whose widow lived at Huff's Church, until her recent death, was born April 4, 1815, and died Nov. 4, 1879. He was a grandson of Conrad Knetz, who lived near the Berks county line in Montgomery county. He built up the property now known as Lesher's Mill, but which was long known as Knetz's Mill and was in the family name for many years. Conrad Knetz was born Jan. 6, 1742, and died Oct. 13, 1822, aged eighty years, nine months, seven days. His wife Catharine, daughter of Moses and Ann Binder, was born May 22, 1751, and died Feb. 5, 1828, aged seventy-six years, eight months, thirteen days; both are buried at New Goshenhoppen Church.

Henry Knetz, father of John, was born May 9, 1778, in Hereford township, on the old homestead at Clayton, and followed farming, owning a tract of about 150 acres. The Swiss barn on this place, built during the early fifties, is 110 feet long, and is the longest barn in the township. He married Maria Boyer, born Aug. 19, 1780, who died June 7, 1864, aged eighty-three years, nine months, eighteen days, surviving her husband a number of years. He died May 10, 1847, aged sixty-nine years, one day. They are buried at Huff's Church, of which they were Lutheran members. Their children were: John is mentioned in full below. David, deceased, lived in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, on the property now known as "Lesher's Mill." George, born Dec. 20, 1806, died May 20, 1842, was a farmer in Hereford township, his land being bounded by the lands of Daniel Schell, John Ruth and Henry Knetz; he made his last will and testament, recorded in Will book 8, page 422, on the day of his death, and it contains the following item: "I do nominate and appoint my father Henry Knetz to be guardian of my daughter Matilda"; to this daughter he gave a 170-acre farm, his brother John received the sum of $300, and he left a bequest to his faithful servant, Sophia Trexler. Sally, deceased, married Samuel Treichler, who was a merchant at Treichlersville, which place was named for him.

John Knetz was born in Hereford township, where he followed farming and droving all his life, dying upon his farm at Chapel Nov. 4, 1879, when sixty-four years, seven months old. He owned the farm which is now the property of his daughter Mrs. Maria Landis. In 1860 he erected a set of buildings on the tract of land now occupied by Reuben Beidler, on the Clayton and Treichlersville turnpike, and it was there that he died.

Mr. Knetz married Abigail Moll, who was born Dec. 17, 1817, daughter of George and Eve (Miller) Moll, from near Huff's Church, their family consisting of eight children, four sons and four daughters: Jonas, Thomas, Jacob, George, Judith, Abigail, Betzy and Sally. To Mr. and Mrs. Knetz were born four children, namely: Maria is the widow of Martin M. Landis and lives at Clayton on the old homestead; Jacob lives at East Greenville, Pa.; Betsy married Andrew Stauffer, and is deceased; Sarah married Reuben Beidler, and they live at Clayton.

From 1895 Mrs. Abigail Knetz, widow of John Knetz, made her home at Huff's Church. Though past eighty years old she could see well, using no glasses, was able to sew, and attended church faithfully. She was particularly fond of reading the Scriptures, and had read the Bible through forty-one times, by actual count. Mrs. Knetz had a number of valuable relics which she prized highly, including old dishes and an old grandfather's clock, which later belonged to the Sharp family of Hereford and is more than 150 years old. She died Sept. 25, 1909.


KNITTLE, JONATHAN S.

p. 972

Surnames: KNITTLE, SNYDER, ADAM, STRASSER, CONRAD, LENHART, SEIDEL, DIETRICH, REINHART, WALBERT, HELBERT, SPRENGER, ROHN, ANGSTADT, HOCH, KLINE, WILTRANT, MOYER, BIEBER, SARIG, SASSAMAN, KOLLER, WENTZEL, DIETRICH, GRAVER, MILLER

Jonathan S. Knittle, a prosperous farmer residing near Kutztown, Pa., in Maxatawny township, was born Aug. 9, 1866, in Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa., son of Daniel and Anna (Snyder) Knittle, and grandson of Benjamin Knittle.

To trace the Knittle family in Pennsylvania carried the investigator a long distance back. The only one of the name of Knittle recorded in the Pennsylvania archives up to September 17, 1753, was Joseph Knittle, who came to America on the ship "Patience", which landed him at Philadelphia.

Michael Knittle, probably a son of Joseph, was a resident of Richmond township, Berks county. He made his will May 9, 1789, which was entered June 13 of the same year. It is evident that he died between these two dates. His sons, Michael and Daniel, were the executors. His children are given as follows: Frederick, John Adam, Michael, Daniel, Rosina and Catherine. John Adam was a resident in Richmond township in 1785 and that year paid 18 s., 9 d. tax. In 1758 Michael Knittle was a resident in Maxatawny township, and in that year he paid 1, 1s. 6d. tax. In 1775 he is registered as taxable in Richmond township, when he paid 5 tax. In 1815 Michael Knittle, Jr. was a taxpayer in Richmond township, paying 44s tax.

Benjamin Knittle, grandfather of Jonathan S., was a farmer in Greenwich township, owning forty acres of land, on which he died in 1895, aged over seventy-two years. He was a life-long tiller of the soil. His wife was named Polly Adam and they were members of the Grimville Church, where both are buried. They had the following children: Daniel; Benjamin, whose children were Emeline, Ella, Florenda and Isaac; Hannah, m. to Isaac Strasser; Catherine, m. to Peter Adam; Rebecca, m. to Methusalah Conrad; and Polly, m. to John Lenhart.

Daniel Knittle, father of Jonathan S., was born in Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa., Dec. 24, 1818, and died May 26, 1884, aged sixty-seven years. Until his marriage he remained under the parental roof and then purchased the farm which is now the property of John Seidel, and there some of his children were born. That tract contained twelve acres. He was a boss carpenter and had two gangs of carpenters in his employ, who erected barns through Upper Berks county, probably 100 of these substantial structures. He kept from eight to fifteen men employed and instructed many in the carpenter's trade. He was a skillful mechanic and physically was a very strong man, capable of long hours of hard work. Foe twelve years he lived on the farm now owned by Alfred Dietrich, and there his death took place. In politics he was a stanch Democrat and for many years he served local offices, being useful as a school director and efficient as supervisor of Greenwich township. In religious faith he was a Lutheran and belonged to the Grimville Church, of which he was an official member. He was buried there at the side of his parents. He married Anna Snyder who still survives and makes her home in the families of her children. She was born Dec. 11, 1827, daughter of Harry and Polly (Reinhart) Snyder, of Dunkle's Church. Daniel Knittle and wife had fourteen children, as follows: Maria, deceased, m. James Walbert; Susanna is the widow of Oliver Helbert; Abbie, deceased, m. Daniel Sprenger, of Kutztown; Hettie is unmarried; Kate, m. William Rohn, of Greenwich township; William follows the carpenter trade at Kutztown; Daniel is a farmer in Maxatawny township; Benjamin is a carpenter at Allentown; Lucy m. Clinton Angstadt, of Richmond township; Lizzie m. Frank Rohn, of Kutztown; Jonathan S.; Amelia m. Morris Hoch of Wyomissing; Alice m. Daniel Kline, of Kutztown; and Lydia m. Peter Wiltrant, of Richmond.

Jonathan S. Knittle attended the public schools, the last one at Grimville, after which he seriously took up farming and has continued in the same line all his life. He lived from 1892 until 1894 on Willoughby Graver's farm in Greenwich township, and then moved to John Miller's farm in Maxatawny township, not far from Monterey, where he remained three years, when the place was sold. In 1897 he settled on the S. R. Moyer farm, which he continued to operate for eleven years. On that farm is a stone house which was built in 1770, and is of historic interest not only on account of its age and preservation, but for the fact that during the Revolutionary War, on one occasion, general Washington and wife stopped over night under its roof. A hotel was conducted there until about 1840. In the spring of 1908, Mr. Knittle moved to his present place. This is the old Bieber farm and is now the property of Dr. U. S. G. Bieber. It consists of ninety acres and has been in the Bieber family for 100 years. On this property is an old oak tree, whose trunk measures thirty-two feet in circumference, and whose branches spread ninety-nine feet. Under it once stood George Washington and part of his army. Mr. Knittle is a modern, up-to-date farmer. He has fine stock and all kinds of improved farm machinery, including a hay loader, and he utilizes two gasoline engines. He keeps seven head of horses and twelve head of cattle. In addition to attending to his farming operations he has been agent for a considerable time for the Springfield and Domestic gas engines and also handles farm machinery.

On June 8, 1889, Mr. Knittle married Mary S. Sarig, daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Sassaman) Sarig, of Berks county. The parents of Mrs. Knittle had the following children: Charles, residing at Galveston, Ind.; Amanda, wife of Martin Koller, of Kutztown; Sarah, wife of Charles Wentzel, of Reading; Emma, wife of Emanuel Dietrich, of Greenwich township; Mary, wife of Jonathan S. Knittle; Ellis, residing in Kokomo, Ind.; Wilson, residing at Topton; and Albert, residing at Kutztown. Mr. and Mrs. Knittle have four children, namely: Eugene A., Alvin L., Stella I. and Harry W. Mr. Knittle and family are members of the Grimville Lutheran Church, also known as the Grimville Union Church. Mr. Knittle has always been identified with the Democratic party, his whole family having been of that political faith. He has efficiently filled a number of the local offices and for six years has served as school director and has been treasurer of the school board. He is one of the township's reliable and representative men.


KNOLL, JOHN L. J.

p. 1631

Surnames: KNOLL, WENRICH, DELP, MILLER, LEISS, WENTZEL, FIELD, TROSTLE, GEISS, REICH, HORNE, DONKEL, NOLL, KLOPP, VAN REED, LEISS, REESER, HERBEIN, REED, LEIS, KERPER, GRAEFF

Among the successful young men in Reading, who are developing business careers, is John L. J. Knoll, a member of the wholesale grocery firm of Delp & Co. Mr. Knoll is a native of Jefferson township, where he was born August 5, 1867, on the homestead known familiarly as the "Wenrich" farm.

Great-grandfather Knoll was born in Host, German. Tradition gives him three sons, John Jacob, George and David. He came to America in the early part of the nineteenth century. Grandfather John Jacob married and had six children: John L., mentioned below; Harrison, who remained single, and drifting to the far west, died about 1893; Eva (married John Miller of Jefferson township), and three others who died in infancy.

John L. Knoll married Amanda Wenrich, a daughter of Paul and Salome (Leiss) Wenrich, and they had nine children as follows: Rebecca R. (Married James Wentzel, deceased in March of 1890); James Isaac, went west in 1877 and married a western girl; Arabella (became Mrs. Thomas Field, her husband being the son of Elias Field, of North Heidelberg township); Ida (married Cornelius Trostle); Miranda (married Monroe Geiss, son of Harrison Geiss, who lived near Bernville, in Penn township); Albert, whose wife was Kate Reich, daughter of John Reich, of Bernville, Pa.; Sallie (married Dr. J. H. Horne, son of Charles Horne, of Heidelberg); John J. married Susan Donkel, daughter of Aaron Donkel, of Lehigh county, and later moved to Reading, where he died January 1, 1900; Elmer Charles, married Maggie Noll, daughter of William Noll, of Robesonia, who was killed on the railroad, when the daughter was very young.

John L. Knoll, the father of this family, was a tiller of the soil the major portion of his life, retiring from active work in 1897, and now resides with his son Albert. During the earlier part of his manhood, he was employed in the family of a Mr. Reed. He assisted in the widening of the Union Canal, furnishing stone for the construction of the different locks. Mr. Knoll's farming operations were carried on in connection with this work, and he had the reputation of being one of the best farmers in the community.

John L. J. Knoll attended the public schools of his home district, and for a time was in the Bernville high school. The year prior to his majority, he worked for his father. In February of 1888, he accepted a position as clerk in the store of A. M. Klopp, of North Heidelberg. He served his connection with that house in 1890, the year which marked his first coming to Reading. His first business in Reading was the setting up of a small estate for James Wentzel, a brother-in-law. In May of that year he accepted a position with Charles L. Van Reed, who conducted a paper business on the west side of South Fifth street, near where the Metropolitan Electric Light Company now has its offices. He continued in this position foe several months, and then connected himself with the business in which he is now a leading factor.

Starting at the bottom of the ladder, he became a teamster for G. H. Delp & Company, one of the large wholesale (and retail) grocery houses of the city. Foe some eight years he continued to do outside work, and then was given a position on the inside, which position gradually merged into that of a salesman. In July of 1905 a reorganization of the firm took place. The old firm consisted of G. H. Delp and George W. Leiss. The new partnership which was now formed, continued G. H. Delp as a member and added three new ones, the names being J. L. J. Knoll, William H. Reeser, and Edward M. Herbein. The old firm name of Delp & Company was retained. Doing business at Nos. 12 and 14 South Eight street, the firm immediately took on new life, and in the four years in which it has been doing business, has shown a marked degree of success. It is fair to say here that the change in this firm and its subsequent success is largely due to the ability displayed by Mr. Knoll in the years of his salesmanship. The private brands of goods which are kept on the market by the advice and direction of Mr. Knoll is one of the features which had added greatly to the success of the firm. Only a wholesale business has been conducted since the reorganization of the firm, the retail business having been taken over by the retiring partner, who conducts it under the firm name of George W. Leis & Company, at the old stand known as "Henry Kerper Estate"

Although having the reputation of giving close attention to business Mr. Knoll enjoys the social and religious amenities of life. He is connected with the Reformed Church, being a communicant member at North Heidelberg, where he was confirmed. He also belongs to several of the better fraternal bodies: Isaac Heister Lodge F. & A. M., No. 660; Progressive Lodge No. 470, I. O. O. F., of which he is a Past Grand, and was Trustee for a number of years; Reading Council of the Royal Arcanum, in which latter he has filled several important offices. The wholesale firm of which he is a member has membership with the Central Wholesalers' Association, of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, & Delaware Association. and also the National Wholesale Grocers' Association.

The married life of Mr. Knoll began May 17, 1897, with his union with Margaret S. Donkle, daughter of Aaron and Margaret (Graeff) Donkle. They have one child, Loraine Margaret, born November 16, 1905.


KNOLL, J. MICHAEL

p. 1070

Surnames: KNOLL, SCHEAFFER, HEMMIG, PETERS, WENRICH, HOLZMAN

J. Michael Knoll, proprietor of the Tulpehocken Hotel, a well-known hotel in Jefferson township, Berks county, was born in that township in 1861. His grandfather was a farmer and a blacksmith there, and died in Jefferson township. Both he and his wife are buried at the Host Church. Their children were Henry, Sarah, and Michael.

Michael Knoll, father of J. Michael, was born in Jefferson township Nov. 22, a815, and died July 19, 1896, aged eighty years, seven months, twenty-seven days. He married Magdalena Scheaffer, daughter of Jonathan Scheaffer, born May 14, 1822, died Feb. 6, 1896, aged seventy-three years, eight months, twenty-two days. Both are buried at St. Paul's Union cemetery, Schaefferstown. Mr. Knoll learned the blacksmith's trade in his young manhood and followed it for several years, later engaging in farming in Jefferson township. He lived retired for a few years before his death. Eight children were born to him and his wife: Sarah married John Hemmig, of Reading; Adam S, is living in Jefferson township; Emma is unmarried; Isabelle (1850-1900) m. William S. Wenrich; Elanore m. George Peters, of Bethel township; Aaron S. born in 1845, died in 1897; J. Michael is mentioned below; George is living at Upper Lehigh, Luzerne Co., Pa., and is head butcher for a large coal company.

J. Michael Knoll attended the public schools, and remained with his father until he was eighteen years old. He learned the trade of carriage trimmer, which he followed for eight years, in 1888 engaging in the hotel business at his present stand in Jefferson township. His house is well known to the traveling public and he is regarded as a reliable citizen of his community. Mr. Knoll served six years as township assessor, to which office he was elected by a large majority. In 1905 he was a strong candidate for the office of county commissioner, receiving the second highest vote. He is a strong Republican and one of the most influential party workers in the county, being very popular among his fellow-citizens. His church connection is with the Reformed denomination.

Mr. Knoll married Lovina E. Holzman, daughter of the late John S. Holzman, of Jefferson township, who served at one time as treasurer of Berks county. Three children have been born to this union: Nellie H.; Emma H.; and Marie H.


KNOLL, J. MICHAEL

p. 1070

Surnames: KNOLL, SCHEAFFER, HEMMIG, PETERS, WENRICH, HOLZMAN

J. Michael Knoll, proprietor of the Tulpehocken Hotel, a well-known hotel in Jefferson township, Berks county, was born in that township in 1861. His grandfather was a farmer and a blacksmith there, and died in Jefferson township. Both he and his wife are buried at the Host Church. Their children were Henry, Sarah, and Michael.

Michael Knoll, father of J. Michael, was born in Jefferson township Nov. 22, a815, and died July 19, 1896, aged eighty years, seven months, twenty-seven days. He married Magdalena Scheaffer, daughter of Jonathan Scheaffer, born May 14, 1822, died Feb. 6, 1896, aged seventy-three years, eight months, twenty-two days. Both are buried at St. Paul's Union cemetery, Schaefferstown. Mr. Knoll learned the blacksmith's trade in his young manhood and followed it for several years, later engaging in farming in Jefferson township. He lived retired for a few years before his death. Eight children were born to him and his wife: Sarah married John Hemmig, of Reading; Adam S, is living in Jefferson township; Emma is unmarried; Isabelle (1850-1900) m. William S. Wenrich; Elanore m. George Peters, of Bethel township; Aaron S. born in 1845, died in 1897; J. Michael is mentioned below; George is living at Upper Lehigh, Luzerne Co., Pa., and is head butcher for a large coal company.

J. Michael Knoll attended the public schools, and remained with his father until he was eighteen years old. He learned the trade of carriage trimmer, which he followed for eight years, in 1888 engaging in the hotel business at his present stand in Jefferson township. His house is well known to the traveling public and he is regarded as a reliable citizen of his community. Mr. Knoll served six years as township assessor, to which office he was elected by a large majority. In 1905 he was a strong candidate for the office of county commissioner, receiving the second highest vote. He is a strong Republican and one of the most influential party workers in the county, being very popular among his fellow-citizens. His church connection is with the Reformed denomination.

Mr. Knoll married Lovina E. Holzman, daughter of the late John S. Holzman, of Jefferson township, who served at one time as treasurer of Berks county. Three children have been born to this union: Nellie H.; Emma H.; and Marie H.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:57 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.