Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

KEMMERER, ELIAS ROTHERMEL

p. 1564

Surnames: KEMMERER, ROTHERMEL, ZECHMAN, BURKEY, TREXLER, FISHER, SHOEMAKER, REBER, ZELLER, SASSAMAN, KEIM, REEDY, HINKEL, SAUL, HESS, STOUDT, KAMMERER, ADAM, SCHWAVELY

Elias Rothermel Kemmerer--engaged in the real estate and insurance business at Reading since 1896--was born Sept. 7, 1859 in Maiden-creek township, Berks county, on the Kemmerer homestead near South-Evansville.

He was educated in the local schools, Keystone State Normal School, and Reading Business College, during this time assisting his father on the farm and teaching public school in the township for eight years until 1888. In that year he engaged in general mercantile business in the township and carried it on until 1894, when he removed to Reading.

In 1896, Mr. Kemmerer formed a co-partnership with Prof. William M. Zechman (who had been the county superintendent of the public schools of Berks county from 1890 to 1896) for the purpose of engaging in the business of buying and selling real estate and of placing fire insurance, and since then they have traded very successfully under the name of Kemmerer and Zechman at No. 27 North Sixth street.

In 1906, the firm associated with William C. Burkey and Edward D. Trexler under the name of Burkey & Kemmerer and as such they erected and sold a number of dwelling-houses in Reading; and in 1909 they associated with William E. Fisher and William R. Kemmerer, under the name of Kemmerer and company, and are erecting and disposing of dwelling houses and lots in North Reading, their enterprise contributing much toward the improvement of that section of the city.

Mr. Kemmerer officiated as the mercantile appraiser of Berks county for the year 1892 by appointment of the county commissioners. He is a member of Isaac Hiester Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 600.

In 1888, Mr. Kemmerer was married to Rebecca Shoemaker Reber, daughter of Thomas Reber, farmer of Perry township, near Shoemakersville.

His father was Elias Kemmerer, who was born in Tulpehocken (now Marion) township, near Stouchsburg, in 1827, and when a small boy his parents removed to Maiden-creek township, locating on a farm near South Evansville which they had bought; where he was brought up to farming and which he followed until 1887, afterward living retired until his deceased in 1902. He was married to Sarah Rothermel, daughter of Lorenzo Rothermel of Hamburg, and they had six children: Elias R.; William R. (married Ida A. Zellers); and Abbie (married D. Sassaman Keim now operating the homestead farm owned by Elias R.); and three children who died in infancy.

Mr. Kemmerer's grandfather was John Kemmerer, farmer of Maiden-creek township. He was married to Magdalena Reedy of Tulpehocken townhsip and they had nine children: Elias; Daniel; Elvina (married Charles Hinkel), Maria (married John Saul and after his decease George Hess), and Caroline (married James Stoudt), four having died in infancy. He died in 1882, aged 80 years, and his wife in 1886, aged 90 years.

His great-grandfather was Ludwig K?erer, a farmer in Alsace township, where he was born in 1765. He died in 1824, and his remains were buried in the old cemetery of Spies's Church, near the south entrance. He was married to Anna Maria Adam, and they had eight children: Peter; Samuel; John; Henry; William; Solomon; Catharine (married Abraham Schwavely), and Mollie (married William Schwavely, brother of Abraham). It is supposed that Ludwig was a son of John Ludwig K?erer, who emigrated from Germany in 1736, when twenty-one years of age, and landed at Philadelphia where he was qualified by taking the oath of allegiance September 1, and then proceeded up the Schuylkill Valley, settling at Alsace township.


KEMMERER, FRANK K.

p. 1392

Surnames: KEMMERER, KRAMER, STRAUSSER, HAINS, YODER, BAER, WEIDENHAMMER, ADAM,

Frank K. Kemmerer, a leading agriculturist of Berks county, Pa., whose fine tract of land is located on the eastern end of Richmond township, was born May 19, 1861, in Maiden-creek township, Berks county, son of Daniel Kemmerer.

John and Polly Kemmerer, the grandparents of Frank K., were prosperous farming people and landowners of Maiden-creek township, and were the parents of these children: Elvina; Maria; Elias; Daniel and Caroline. This family were Dunkards and strictly observed the principles of that faith, while in political matters the Kemmerers have always been Democrats. Daniel Kemmerer, of this couple's family, is a farmer of Maiden-creek township, and owns two excellent properties in the vicinity of Evansville. He was married to Sally M. Kramer, daughter of Jacob and Polly (Strausser) Kramer, and to them were born these children: Frank K.; and Sarah, the wife of J. S. Hains, the merchant at Molltown, who succeeded Mr. Kemmerer in the spring of 1905.

Frank K. Kemmerer was reared on his father's farm, and obtained his education in the local schools. He commenced farming for himself in 1885 and continued until 1889, in which year he located upon his father's farm. In 1892 he engaged in a mercantile business at Molltown, in Maiden-creek township, but sold out after a successful business career of thirteen years. On engaging in business at Molltown, Mr. Kemmerer was appointed postmaster, and this office he has held to the present time. In the spring of 1905 Mr. Kemmerer purchased the old Kemp Hotel property in Richmond township, on the eastern road between Kutztown and Moselem Springs, this farm consisting of forty-nine acres of good land, which he has placed in the best condition. Mr. Kemmerer is a Democrat in his political views, but has never aspired to office, although he keeps himself well posted on the issues of the day.

On May 31, 1879, Mr. Kemmerer was married to Katie B. Yoder, daughter of John and Sallie (Baer) Yoder, farming people of Maiden-creek township, and to this union there have been born: Sallie, who married Robert Weidenhammer, Reading; Charles, who married Hattie Adam; Cora, Katie, and Samuel, all single, who reside at home with their parents.


KEMMERER, WILLIAM ROTHERMEL

p. 1565 Surnames: KEMMERER, MILLER, KLINE, ZECHMAN, FISHER, HIESTER, ZELLERS, KRAEMER

William Rothermel Kemmerer, engaged in the real estate business and register of wills of Berks county from 1903 to 1906, was born Dec. 19, 1864 in Maiden-creek township, on the Kemmerer homestead near South Evansville. He was reared on this farm and received his education in the public and private schools, until he was twenty years of age, when he decided to engage in the mercantile business. He first entered the large general store of H. K. Miller at Shoemakersville as a clerk, and after remaining there for some time went to the general store of H. H. Kline of Molltown and was later employed as salesman in the dry-goods store of Levan & Shade, No. 441 Penn Square, Reading, which adjoined the Farmers' National Bank on the west. He took charge of the departments which included the domestic and colored dress goods, and remained with this firm until 1889 when embarked in the mercantile business for himself, first at Reading, and afterward at Birdsboro. He continued in the business until 1895, when he became the traveling salesman of L. H. Park & Company, importers and jobbers of coffee, tea and spices, at Philadelphia. Mr. Kemmerer remained with that firm until January 1900, when he resigned to accept the position of chief clerk in the office of the county commissioners, to which he was appointed for three years. While filling this responsible post his urbanity and ability made him so popular that the leaders of the Democratic party selected him as the organization candidate for the office of Register of Wills, to which he was elected in November, 1902. He filled the position satisfactorily from January, 1903, to January, 1906, having been the first to occupy this office as a salaried official. He then acted as assistant floor-manager of the big department store of Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart until May, 1907, when he was obliged to resign the position on account of ill health. After that he was engaged in real estate business for himself until January, 1909, having erected and sold a row of dwelling homes on North Sixth street, opposite the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company shops. He has since become associated with his brother Elias R. Kemmerer, William M. Zechman and William E. Fisher, trading under the name of Kemmerer & Company, an enterprise having for its aim the development of the extreme northwestern section of Reading.

Mr. Kemmerer has been a devoted member of the Democratic party since he became of age. He served as a delegate to numerous county and state conventions, acting frequently as one of the secretaries, and he was a representative on the standing county committee for seven years. He has identified himself prominently with different secret and beneficial societies. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity a number of years, being a past-master of Union Lodge, No. 479, F. and A. M., and upon the institution of the Isaac Hiester Lodge, No. 660, was demitted to become one of its charter members. He is also a member of Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M., and of Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; also of the Reading Lodge of Perfection, 14 degree, of the Philadelphia Consistory, 32 degree, A. A. S. R., and of the Rajah Temple of the Mystic Shrine.

In the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows, Mr. Kemmerer took an active part as a member of Neversink Lodge, No. 514, of which he is a past officer, serving as the past-grand on the degree staff for a number of years, and also as a representative to different state conventions. And in the Patriotic Order, Sons of America, he is a member of Washington Camp No. 417, which he has represented at a number of county and state conventions. These positions evidence his activity as a member of the societies mentioned, and witness the appreciation of his devotion and ability by his fellow members.

In 1885, Mr. Kemmerer was married to Ida A. Zellers, daughter of John and Catharine (Kraemer) Zellers, of Maiden-creek township; they have a daughter Hermie May, who was graduated from Birdsboro High School and the Reading Classical Academy, and also from the musical department of the Schuylkill Seminary. Mr. Kemmerer and his family are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross.

For the genealogical antecedents of Mr. Kemmerer, see sketch of his elder brother, Elias R. Kemmerer, in this publication.


KEMP, ALFRED L.

p. 1708

Surnames: KEMP, LANDIS, MOYER, FREY, YETZER, ESSIG, KLEMMER, FRONHEISER, CONRATH, HAAK, MILLER, BENFIELD, FRAIN, BECKER

Alfred L. Kemp, proprietor of the "Fredericksville Hotel," was born in District township, Nov. 8, 1861, son of Daniel and Sallie (Landis) Kemp, farming people of that township.

Jacob Kemp, great-grandfather of Alfred L., owned and lived upon the farm of about 115 acres now owned by George Kemp. He was a Roman Catholic, and probably came from New Jersey to this section. He was a blacksmith by trade, following it in connection with farming. Many of his descendants have learned the same trade. He was a large man of great strength. He spoke German. He is buried at the Bally Catholic Church. He died of paralysis about 1843, while at Forgedale, on his way home from church at
Bally. He was past seventy years old. He married Molly Moyer, and she is buried at Huff's church. She was a Protestant. They had these children: George; John died unmarried; Joseph, Jacob was a laborer in District township and m. Sarah Frey (daughter of Daniel), and they had three children. Jacob, Sarah and a daughter who lived in Reading; Daniel died unmarried; Katie m. Jacob Yetzer, a native of Germany; Annie m. Jacob Essig; Peggie m. George Klemmer; and Mrs. John Fronheiser.

George Kemp, son of Jacob, lived in Hereford, near Huff's church. He was a farmer, and is buried at Bally Catholic Church, of which he was a member, as were all of his children. To him and his wife Judith Conrath, were born these children: Daniel; George, of District township; John, of Hereford township; Sallie, m. to George Kemp; Katie, m. to Daniel Haak; and Elizabeth, m. to John Miller.

Daniel Kemp, son of George, and father of Alfred L., is a farmer in District township. He was born Jan. 6, 1833. He is a blacksmith, and followed that trade many years. He owns a tract of forty-two acres, located between Fredericksville and Landis Store. He is a member of Bally Catholic Church. He married Sallie Landis, daughter of Martin and Elizabeth (Conrath) Landis, of District township, and they became the parents of nine children: Alfred L.; John, of Pottstown; Martin, a farmer of District; Daniel, of Pottstown; Lizzie, m. to Harry Benfield; Irwin and George, both of Pottstown; and James and Henry, of District township.

Alfred L. Kemp, son of Daniel and Sallie, was reared in District township and attended the township schools. He worked as a hired man for several years, and the rest of the time worked for his father. When nineteen years old he learned the butcher's trade, which he followed seven years, and for a number of winters carried it on among the farmers. He farmed in District township seven years, and in the spring of 1909 became the landlord at Fredericksville, his place being one of the old established stands. Mr. Kemp belongs to Council No. 1007, O. of I. A., of Landis Store. He and his family are Lutheran members of Huff's Church.

On Nov. 5, 1887, Mr. Kemp married Elizabeth Frain, daughter of James and Sarah (Becker) Frain, of District township. They have had two children: Minnie L.; and William F., who died Sept. 30, 1909, aged ten years, six months, four days.


KEMP, ALVIN F.

p. 1708

Surnames: KEMP, FRONHEISER, WELLER

Alvin F. Kemp, supervising principal of the public schools of Longswamp township, Berks county, was born in District township, this county, June 18, 1876, son of John F. and Fietta (Fronheiser) Kemp. He attended the public schools of his native township until sixteen years of age, and then entered the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, where he graduated in the elementary course in 1898, and in the scientific in 1900. His work as teacher began when he was but sixteen, and he taught Frey's school in District township two years, Sterner's one year, Heydt's in Washington township seven years. In 1905 he was elected principal of the township high school in Longswamp and that responsible position he has since continued to fill, doing much to raise the standard of the school, and to advance the cause of education in the county. He is a natural student, and has devoted himself to his work. Broad minded and of good executive ability, he is well fitted for the position he holds; and his genial personality has won him friends among pupils and patrons alike.

In 1899 Mr. Kemp was married to Ida Fronheiser, who was born in District township, Oct. 9, 1876, daughter of George and Sophia (Weller) Fronheiser. To this union have been born children as follows: Harvey, born May 16, 1900, in Hereford township; Viola, Feb. 6, 1902, in Hereford township; Edna, May 22, 1903, in Hereford township; Elsie, Dec. 3, 1904, in Hereford township; and John Webster, June 27, 1906, in Longswamp township. Mr. Kemp is a Lutheran in religious belief, and is an active worker in the Sunday school.


KEMP, ANNIE E. (MISS)

p. 1309

Surnames: KEMP, GEYER, LEITHEISER

Miss Annie E. Kemp, of Reading, has by her devotion to music, her thorough comprehension and high appreciation of the art, done much for the elevation of those about her to a higher artistic plane. As an instructress she has few peers, inspiring as she does in her pupils a true love and clear conception of the ennobling influences of perfect musical development. Those who have entered her studio seeking an education in music merely as an accomplishment tending toward social success have gone out from it better men and women who in the harmony of outward sounds have found the higher, deeper music of the soul.

Miss Kemp was born in Hamburg, Pa., daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Geyer) Kemp. Joseph Kemp was a highly educated man and taught school for a number of years, winning a high reputation as an instructor. He died in 1875, at the age of forty-seven. Seven children were born to him and his wife, but two of whom, however, lived to maturity. These are: Elwood L., clergyman and educator, who attended the schools of Berks county and then after an advanced course of instruction under private teachers, became a student in Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, from which he was graduated in 1881, and after a theological course was ordained a minister of the Reformed Church in the United States. He was professor of Ancient Languages from 1881 to 1886; of Psychology and Pedagogy from 1886 to 1888 at the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. He was president of Wichita (Kans. ) University, 1888 to 1891; president of Palatinate College, Myerstown, Pa., 1891 to 1893; vice principal, 1893 to 1902, and principal, 1902 to the present time, of East Stroudsburg State Normal School. He is principal of the faculty of Pocono Pines Chautauqua Assembly, Pa. He is the author of "Idyl of the War", and other poems published in 1882; "History of Education" published in 1902. In 1903 he was awarded the degree of Doctor of Science by Franklin and Marshall College. The other child attaining mature years is Miss Annie E.

Miss Kemp was educated in the schools of Hamburg. From her earliest childhood she evinced a love for music that gave no doubt as to her ultimate calling. She was a student of Sternburg School of Music, and also studied under Prof. Baltzell, Mrs. Moulton and Miss Virgil, of New York. She opened her first school in Reading in 1891, and it was then known as the Kindergarten School of Music, her natural love for the little folks having early given her remarkable success in their instruction. Her own ability was so pronounced that it was not long before she was induced to accept older pupils, and the wedge one entered, she has numbered many who have elsewhere had the advantages of a higher musical education. While she uses the Virgil method of instruction in hand shaping and time beating, she has evolved from her own experience a simple method of teaching, particularly beneficial to beginners. This method is so simplified that children of no more than four years have been easily taught. Miss Kemp's pupils have, many of them, come from the best homes in Reading, and she has developed some wonderful talent. As is but natural in one so gifted with the divine art, she is a woman of much refinement. She has considerable literary ability, frequently contributing to musical publications, and was during its existence a contributor to the Woman's Club Bulletin, acting as editor of the Department of Music. Miss Kemp is working on and will soon have ready for the publisher a series of graded studies which will be of interest and great educational value to young students. Miss Kemp is also very fond of painting and if it were not for the demands made by her music would be justified in devoting some time to the development of her talent in this art. She was a special pupil for two years at the School of Design, in Philadelphia, under a pupil of Carolus Duran, studying both oil and water colors.

Hartman Leitheiser, Miss Kemp's maternal great-grandfather, enlisted at Reading, in the year 1775, under Capt. Nagle, and marched to Boston, where his company was attached to Col. Hand's regiment. He continued in service one year, enlisting again, in the year 1776, in the Flying Camp for six months, under Capt. Fricker, in Col. Klot's regiment, after which he was appointed an ensign in Capt. J. Bowers Company, 6th Pennsylvania Regiment, under Col. McGaw. This company was commanded by Lieut. Baker, and was continued in service during the Revolutionary war. In 1792 Mr. Leitheiser again entered the service of his country, and was appointed an ensign in the sub-legion; in 1794 he was appointed a lieutenant, and in 1800 a captain, during which time he served under General Anthony Wayne against the Indians.


KEMP FAMILY

p. 1707

Surnames: KEMP, SCHOCH, HEPLER, HELLER, FRAIN, SCHOTT, WELLER, HARTLINE, HEFFNER, LANDIS, MOYER, REICHERT, BECHTEL

The Kemp family has long been resident in District township, and at the present time is ably represented by Harvey W. Kemp, merchant and postmaster at Landis Store, and his brother, William W. Kemp, a popular and successful school teacher. Joseph Kemp, great-grandfather of Harvey W. and William W., was born in District township, and lived on the farm of seventy acres, now the property of the Joseph Kemp estate. He was a stone mason by trade. For nearly half a century he filled the office of justice of the peace. He is buried in the Roman Catholic cemetery at Bally, belonging to the church of that denomination there, as did his wife. His children were: Katie m. William Schoch, of Hereford township; Thomas; and Mary m. (first) Gideon Hepler, and (second) Adam Heller.

George Kemp, brother of Joseph, lived in Hereford township, where he was a farmer. He was the father of Daniel, an aged resident of District township, and grandfather of Alfred L., the landlord at Fredericksville. Thomas Kemp, son of Joseph, was a native of District township, where he died Jan 22, 1900, aged seventy-three years. He was a stone-mason, and lived near Landis Store, where Edwin Kemp (son of Manasses) now lives. On Oct. 27, 1862, he enlisted for nine months becoming a member of Company H, 167th Pa. V. I., under Captain Schaeffer. In politics he was a Democrat, and for a number of years filled the offices of school director and supervisor. He was a Roman Catholic and belonged to Bally Church. His wife, Susanna Frain, died Feb. 1, 1898, aged seventy-two years, and is buried at Hill church. She was a Lutheran in religious belief. To Thomas and Susanna Kemp were born: George; Malinda, m. to Phoenus Schott; Abraham F.; John and Manasses, twins, of District township; and Henry, who is a justice of the peace and farmer in District township. Abraham F. Kemp, son of Thomas, was born in District township, Nov. 9, 1853, and was reared as a farmer. With the exception of seven years passed at Eshbach, his entire life was spent in his native township. He is a shoemaker by trade, and made many new shoes, but of late years has done repair work principally. Politically he is a Democrat, and was school director ten years during six years being president of the board. He owns a small farm. He and his family are Lutherans, and belong to Hill Church.

In 1875 he married Amanda Weller, daughter of Gideon Weller and wife (nee Hartline). They have three children, as follows: Harvey W.; William W.; and Annie, m. to Frederick Heffner, by whom she was a son, Earl. Harvey W. Kemp, the merchant and postmaster, at Landis Store, District township, was born in that township, Nov. 22, 1877, son of Abraham F. and Amanda (Weller) Kemp. He was educated in the schools of District and Washington townships, and was reared to farm life, working upon the farm from eleven to nineteen years of age as a hired man. In 1896 he became a clerk in J. H. Landis' general store, remaining there two years.

In 1898, Mr. Landis was succeeded by his son Henry B., who conducted the business for four and one-half years, and at the end of that period Mr. Kemp succeeded him to the business. He purchased the store and hotel stand, and also the 147-acre farm from John H. Landis Oct. 6, 1909. He has made a number of improvements to the place, and has doubled the business. He carries a very full line of general merchandise, conducts a weekly huckster route throughout the district, and deals largely in feed, and farm implements. The hotel, so popular with the traveling public, was first opened about 1800 by John Weller, who sold out to Samuel Landis, who in turn was succeeded by John H. Landis. The Kemp store is the voting place and business center of the township. Mr. Kemp is an active Democrat, and is an influential citizen of the district. He has served as delegate to county conventions. On June 19, 1909, he was appointed postmaster. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Mountain Telephone Company, and became its first president, Nov. 27, 1905, an office he still holds. He has been a director in the Commercial Trust Company, of Reading, since, 1906, and of the Bally First National Bank since its organization in 1909. He is a young man of business ability, and has made a success of life. Fraternally he belongs to Huguenot Lodge Nov. 477, F. & A. M., Kutztown; Council No. 1007, O. of I. A., Landis Store; and Castle No. 461, K. G. E., Manatawny. He and his family are Lutheran members of Hill Church.

On Oct. 15, 1898, Mr. Kemp married Mandilla R. Moyer, daughter of Henry M. and Sophia (Reichert) Moyer, of Pike township. They have four children: Paul, who died aged one year; Mamie; Ivy and Lottie. William W. Kemp, a popular school teacher, and citizen of District township, was born there Oct. 16, 1879, son of Abraham F. and Amanda (Weller) Kemp. He was reared to country life and educated in the township schools, and the Normal School at Kutztown, attending the latter for five terms. He was licensed to teach in 1898, and taught his first term at Frey's School, in District township, teaching that school for seven terms. Since then he has taught two terms at Oberholtzer's School in Hereford township, and two terms at the Landisville School in District township. Mr. Kemp is up-to-date in his methods, and is thorough in his work. In politics he is a Democrat. On April 30, 1904, Mr. Kemp married Annie R. Bechtel, daughter of James D. and Emma (Reichert) Bechtel prominent citizens of Pike township. To this union has been born one son Floyd Earnest. Mr. Kemp and his family live at the line of District and Hereford townships near Huff's Church.


KEMP, GEORGE

p. 1174

Surnames: KEMP, DORGAN, HOPE

George Kemp, the well-known proprietor of the "Dewey," Nos. 541-543 Penn street, Reading, Pa., was born in Dukinfield, Cheshire, England, in 1850, son of Nathaniel Kemp. Mr. Kemp was brought to America by his parents, who settled at Yonkers, N. Y., in 1852.

Mr. Kemp was educated in Yonkers and there learned the hatting trade, at which his father had been employed in the old country. At the age of thirteen years, young Kemp ran away from home, and, going to New York City, attempted to enlist on the battleship "Canandaigua." He was prevented, however, on account of his youth, and during the Civil war he sold newspapers. When seventeen years of age he enlisted on the .U. S. S. S. "Saratoga," serving part of his apprenticeship in. the West Indies, under Lieut. Commander Dewey (now Admiral). He was later transferred to the ship "Contocook" (later changed to "Albany") and served aboard that vessel for twenty-two months when he was transferred to the "Swatara," and was there promoted to the rank of captain of the main-top by Lieut. Commander McCook, who had been first lieutenant of the "Kearsarge," when that vessel fought its memorable battle with the "Alabama" in 1864, off Cherbourg, France. Mr. Kemp was then transferred to the "Congress" at Samana Bay, and after serving nineteen months on this vessel, he returned home, having received an honorable discharge at the Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston.

Captain Kemp came to Reading in 1881, and for ten years was employed in the Alexander hat factory, and then engaged in the saloon business at No. 229 South Ninth street, where he remained a period of four years, then removing to No. 226 Chestnut street, and after six years at that location came to his present place, No. 541-543 Penn street. Here he has since been engaged very successfully in business.

On Dec. 31, 1873, Captain Kemp was married to Catherine Hope, who died in September, 1879. He married (second), June 13, 1881, Miss Annie M. Dorgan, of Middletown. N. Y. His children are: James, who is employed at the City Hotel. Reading: George, of Reading; and Alice H. and Irene Y., attending high school. Mr. Kemp is a Democrat and a resident of the Seventh ward of the city, where he is considered one of his party's stanchest supporters. He is fraternally connected with Reading Lodge, No. 549, and is past master thereof; Rajah Temple, Mystic Shrine, in which he is captain of the Arab Patrol; and Harrisburg Consistory; is past chief of Reading Castle, No. 49, Golden Eagles; member of the Rainbow Fire Company, and Captain of Keystone Commandery No. 49. While a resident of Yonkers, N. Y., Mr. Kemp was assistant fire chief.


KEMP, HENRY F

p. 1708

Surnames: KEMP, HOLTZMAN, BAUSHER, FRONHEISER

Henry F. Kemp, justice of the peace in District township, was born there May 27, 1868. He taught school fourteen terms in District township. Under Recorder of Deeds H. H. Holtzman he was made clerk, and held that position for three years, and was appointed First Assistant Deputy under J. A. Bausher. In 1895 he was elected justice of the peace, and since has been twice re-elected. On Dec. 12, 1891, he married Mary Fronheiser, daughter of George Fronheiser, of Hereford Township. Their children are: Cora, Robert, Leroy, Fred, Eva, Stella, Katie and George.


KEMP, PIERCE G. S.

p. 964

Surnames: BAER, BARTO BOWER, BROWN, BUTZ, DENNIS, DE TURK, GREENAWALT, GRIESEMER, GRIM, HAMM, HASSLER, HESS, HOCH, KANN, KAUFFMAN KEMP, KNABB, KRICK, KUTZ, LEVAN, LINZ, LONG, LUTZ, MERKEL, PETER, REINHART, SANDER, SCHMIDT, SCHWOYER, SHARADIN, SIEGFRUD, SMITH, SNYDER, SPANGLER, SUNDAY, WASSER, WEAN, WINK, WITTIE, YENSER, YODER, ZIEGLER

Pierce George Sunday Kemp, manager of the large Sunday estate, and one of the well known residents and enterprising business men of Kutztown, was born Aug. 2, 1858, in Richmond township, Berks county, son of George Y. and Amelia (Sunday) Kemp.

(I) Theobault Dewalt Kemp came to America in 1720 from Strassburg, Germany, at that time belonging to France. He was a Protestant, and he was accompanied to the New World by his two brothers, Thomas and Joseph, and two sisters. He settled on land that now belongs to Nathan Kemp, and there died in 1760. He had one son, George.

(II) George Kemp, son of the emigrant ancestor, is supposed to have had a wife by the maiden name of Levan. He had two sons, George and Daniel. His colored slave, Hannah, is buried in a private cemetery on the Nathan Kemp farm.

(III) George Kemp, son of George, was a prosperous farmer of Maxatawny township. He married a Miss Griesemer, and they had three sons and two daughters, namely: (1) John, a justice of the peace, m. Elizabeth Schwoyer, and had one son and three daughters: John, who m. Rebecca Smith and had children--William (proprietor of the old "Kemp Hotel," and m. to Alice Krick, John (m. to Lillie Merkel) and Libbie (m. to Henry Wean); Sarah, who m. William Kutz; Susan, m. to Aaron Bower; and Catharine, m. to Benjamin Smith. (2) William, a well known farmer of Albany township, m. Fianna Dennis, and had three sons and five daughters: Sylvester, who m. Emma Smith, and had one son, Wilson; Valeria, m. to George Linz; Mary, m. to James Lutz; Elvira, m. to Albert Hamm; Annie, m. to Samuel Kann; William, who m. Susan Kemp, and had one daughter, Edna; Susan, m. to James Linz; and George, who m. Mary Wittie, and had a daughter, Florence. (3) Annie m. Daniel Siegfrud. (4) Sallie m. Daniel Kemp. (5) George is mentioned below.

(IV) George Kemp, son of George, and grandfather of Pierce George Sunday Kemp, was a prominent farmer in Maxatawny township, living on the farm now known as the Maberry Hoch farm. He married Polly Yoder, and their children were: David m. Mary Butz and had children--George, Louisa and Susan (m. to William Hoch); Martin, of Lyons, Pa., m. Mary Ziegler, and had eight children--Susan (m. to Frank Yenser), Sallie (m. to Charles Wasser), Elizabeth, John, Charles, Edwin, and Jacob and Hannah (both deceased); George Y.; Susan m. Jonathan Grim, and died at Reading; and Louisa m. Willian Snyder, of Reading.

(V) George Y. Kemp, son of George and Polly (Yoder), is a prominent merchant in Kutztown. He served as a veteran in the Civil war. His wife was in her maidenhood Amelia Sunday, daughter of Jacob Sunday, and their children were: Emma, who died aged 22 years; Pierce George Sunday; and Jacob E., a well known musician living in Philadelphia.

(VI) Pierce George Sunday Kemp has been a resident of Kutztown since two years of age, his parents having removed to the town in 1860. He was educated in the public schools of Kutztown and the Keystone State Normal school, and also spent one year at Ursinus College. Later he engaged in a mercantile business with Stein & Brother for one year, at the end of which time he became a partner with V.S. Reinhart in the grocery and dry goods business, this connection continuing successfully for several years. For the last few years Mr. Kemp has been manager of the large Sunday estate.

Mr. Kemp is a member of Adonai Castle No. 70, K.G.E., and has been active in the Order, being at one time district grand chief. He is also connected with the Jr. O.U.A.M., Council No. 1004, Kutztown. In politics he is a Democrat and takes a great interest in the success of his party. Mr. Kemp has acted as chief marshal of the Kutztown Fair for the past 16 years, and has been active in many parades on public occasions, especially those of the soldiers. He is a stockholder of the Keystone State Normal School, and takes a just pride in the success of this noted institution of learning.

On April 24, 1890, Mr. Kemp married Jennie A. Baer, daughter of David S. and Esther K. (De Turk) Baer, of Oley township, and to this union there were born two children: John Pierce and Esther Amelia, both of whom died in infancy.


(III) Daniel Kemp, son of George and grandson of Theobault Dewalt Kemp, m. Rachel Wink, and they became the parents of one daughter and six sons, namely: Sallie m. and had a son, Willoughby Felthoof; Dewalt, died unmarried; Jacob m. a Miss Hess and their daughter married a man by the name of Hassler;isaac is known to have had three children, Alfred, Lewis and Sarah; Daniel; George; and William m. Lydia Schmidt, and their daughter Louisa m. Samuel Kauffman.

(IV) Daniel Kemp, son of Daniel and Rachel (Wink), m. Sallie Kemp, and had three children: Daniel; Henry; and Hettie m. Obadiah Peter, of Oley.

(V) Daniel Kemp, son of Daniel and Sallie (Kemp), m. Julia Greenawalt, and they had three sons and five daughters: Jacob, who m. Emma Sander, and had three children--Mamie, Julia and Paul; Susan, who m. William Kemp, and has one daughter; Hettie, who m. John Barto; Mary; Sarah; Louisa; James Daniel; and Jeremiah, who m. Mary Brown and has seven children--William Daniel, Fred, James, Harry, Vernie, Howard and Sarah Julia.

(V) Henry Kemp, son of Daniel and Sallie (Kemp), m. Alinda Snyder, and had three sons and two daughters: Ella; William; Charles, who m. Andora

Long, and has two children--Irwin and Wilbert; George, who m. Annie Spangler; and Katie, who m. Charles Baer


(IV) George Kemp, son of Daniel and Rachel (Wink), m. Elizabeth Sharadin, and had three children, namely: Nathan S., m. to Harriet KnabB, of Oley; William, who died single; and Matilda, m. to Joshua Merkel.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:50 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.