Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

KAUCHER, JOHN R.

p. 1322

Surnames: KAUCHER, ROSE, CLEVELAND, TILL, LEEDOM, WRIGHT

John R. Kaucher, of Reading, represents a family resident in that city for several generations, his father and grandfather before him having been, like himself, natives of the place. The grandfather John Kaucher was a hatter by trade and became later a manufacturer of silk hats. He left a family of six or eight children.

John Kaucher (2), born in 1796, youngest child of John, received his education in Reading and then took up his father's line of work, which he followed practically all his life. He married Miss Catherine Rose and a family of nine children were born to them as follows; Henry, deceased; Martin; John R.; Mary, who died unmarried; Catherine, Mrs. Frederick Cleveland; Angeline, who died unmarried; Hannah, Mrs. John Till; Sarah and Ellen, who both died unmarried. Mr. Kaucher was in politics at first a Whig, like his father, and then a Republican. In religious belief the family were of the Reformed faith. Mr. Kaucher lived to the age of sixty-six, dying in 1862, while his wife was born 1799 and passed away in 1869, aged seventy.

After completing his course in the public schools of Reading, John R. Kaucher entered upon his long and prosperous business career, beginning as a clerk. In 1853 he obtained a position in the discount and deposit department of the Bank of Pennsylvania and remained there until 1878, when he was appointed cashier of the First National Bank. His association with the latter institution continued till 1899, when he practically retired from active business life. Since then, refusing all positions of heavy responsibility he has confined his work to life and fire insurance and represents several of the best companies in the country.

Mr. Kaucher married Miss Susan Leedom, daughter of John and Louisa (Wright) Leedom, and six children have been born to them, John, Richard, Thaddeus G., Sarah, Harriet and Maud. Mr. Kaucher and his wife are connected with the Presbyterian Church. A man of broad and varied interests, Mr. Kaucher has been identified with many public enterprises in his city, has been director of the Reading Library since 1857 and for a long time was secretary of the board of directors of the Presbyterian Church. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F.



KAUCHER, WILLIAM

p. 1438

Surnames: KAUCHER, FREEMAN, STUMP, SPATZ, STEELE, TOBIAS, BOWMAN, KELLER, LUTZ, CLAY

William Kaucher, of Reading, Pa., who has been in the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for more than a quarter of a century, was born in 1847, in Centre township, Berks county, son of Leonard and Mary (Freeman) Kaucher.

John Kaucher, the grandfather of William, was born in Germany, and on coming to this country settled in Bern township, where the rest of his life was spent in agricultural pursuits. He and his wife, whose maiden name is not known, were the parents of these children: William, Mrs. Sarah Stump, Mrs. Mary Spatz, Mrs. Betzy Steele, and Leonard. Leonard Kaucher was born in Bern township and in early life learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed all of his active period, his death occurring in 1864, in his fortieth year. He was a member of the National Guards at one time. John Kaucher married Mary Freeman, and to them there were born ten children: William; Eliza, who married Daniel C. Tobias; Sarah, who married John Bowman; Charles, who married Emma Keller; Samuel, of Reading, who married Amanda Lutz; Leonard, and four who died in infancy. In religious belief the family were Reformed.

William Kaucher was reared in Bern and Centre townships, where his education was obtained, and until 1880 worked in the ore mines of his community. In 1881 he came to Reading and accepted a position with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, which position he has held until the present time. Mr. Kaucher is a faithful workman and has earned the esteem and respect of his employers as well as his fellow-workmen. In 1871 Mr. Kaucher was married to Sarah Ann Clay, a native of Centre township, and to them there have been born ten children: John A., Franklin W., George W., Jacob H., James L., Elmer M., Calvin M., Debbie A., Mary S., and Nora A. In religious belief the family are members of the Reformed Church. Mr. Kaucher is a member of the P. & R. Relief Association, and a Democrat in politics.


KAUFFMAN, ALBERT W.

p. 1711

Surnames: KAUFFMAN, RENTSCHLER, HIESTER, DEGLER, CLOUSER, SHOCK, MOYER, SCHELLHAMMER

Albert W. Kauffman, proprietor of the "Carsonia Inn," was born Nov. 3, 1860, in Upper Bern township, Berks county, son of Moses Kauffman, and grandson of Christian Kauffman, of that township. The progenitor of the Kauffman family in that section of Berks county was George Kauffman, one of the three brothers who emigrated to America and settled along the Blue Mountains in the early history of the county, about one mile northeast of Shartlesville. His son, Christian Kauffman (above named), secured a large tract of land in that vicinity, which he cleared and cultivated very successfully, hauling the grain realized to the market at Philadelphia. He married Elizabeth Rentschler, and they had the following children: William, Moses, Michael, George and Mary (m. Cyrus Hiester). He died in 1881, aged eighty-eight years, and his wife died in 1880, aged eighty-six years, and they were buried at St. Michael's Church.

Moses Kauffman, son of Christian, was born in 1818 on the homestead, where he was reared. He afterward carried on the plantation, containing 116 acres, until his decease in 1892. He was married to Esther Degler, daughter of Joseph Degler, a farmer of Tulpehocken township, and they had five children: Emma (m. (first) H. S. Clouser, and after his decease Frank Shock), Albert W., Daniel F. (who resides on the homestead), Milton C. (a merchant at Gouglersville, and director of the Mohnton National Bank) and Alma D. (m. Frank Moyer, and both are deceased).

Albert W. Kauffman attended the public schools in Upper Bern township, and then learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for eleven years. Afterward he carried on the produce business, having been thus engaged at Reading for eighteen years. In April, 1907, he purchased the "Fair View Hotel," in Bern township, and carried on business there until September, 1908, when he sold the place and located on the "Carsonia Inn" property (which is connected with the Carsonia Park), in Exeter township, and there he has carried on the hotel business in connection with farming until the present time.

In 1887 Mr. Kauffman was married to Emma J. Schellhammer, daughter of Prof. Henry W. Schellhammer, a prominent school teacher in Berks county for many years [See sketch]. He is a Democrat, and during his residence in Upper Bern township officiated as a tax collector. He is a member of Washington Camp No. 133, P. O. S. of A., at Shartlesville, and a charter member of the Lodge of United Americans at Leesport. He is also connected with the Reading Turnverein.


KAUFFMAN FAMILY

p. 830

Surnames: KAUFFMAN, KAUFMAN, YODER, SHENKLE, LASKER, HILL, KEIM, REIFF, GRIESEMER, LEVAN, KNABB, WEAVER, ROTHENBERGER, SNYDER, DETURCK, SASSAMAN, SCHAEFFER, CLOUSER, BRUMBACH, HULTSHEISER, KRUGER

Kauffman. This very old family of Oley township, Berks county, was founded in this township between 1720 and 1734 by David Kaufman, who came here from Germantown, Pa., where his mother resided. In 1734 he obtained a warrant for land from the Penns for property located in Oley township, Philadelphia, now Berks, county. This warrant bears the date of May 24, 1734, and is for one hundred acres located in the eastern part of the township, and part of this property is still in the possession of the family, being the property of Frank Y. Kaufman. Later David obtained another warrant, under date of July 1, 1740, for 54 acres, 154 perches. This tract adjoined the former one, and part of it is also owned by Frank Y. Kaufman. In addition to this property, David owned 200 acres, which he obtained prior to 1734, and a portion of it is now owned by Ephraim K. Kauffman, and the remainder by Frank Y. Kaufman. All told the holdings of this Kaufman ancestor amounted to 354 acres, which was admitted to be among the very choicest land of the township. Upon this property David erected buildings, since replaced by those more modern, but in their day they were considered models of convenience and elegance. He is buried in a private burying ground upon the premises, and his resting place is marked by a limestone without any inscription. Five generations are buried in that little plot, namely ? David, his son, Jacob; his grandson, Jacob; his great-grandson, Jacob and his great-great-grandson, Jacob. His wife Veronica, in 1763, with her other children, released the property to her son Jacob. In the release it is stated that she was the widow of David, and therefore it is evident that David died some time prior to 1763. This release is signed by the widow and her children, who were as follows: Annie Yoder, Mary Shenkle, Barbara Lasker, and John, who settled in Maiden-creek township where his descendants still reside. It is evident that David had but two sons, Jacob and John.

Another interesting fact revealed by the records of the township is that in 1758 and 1759 Jacob Kaufman paid heavy taxes in Oley township, his assessment being thirty pounds.

David, the original ancestor of the Oley township branch of the family, had a brother Jacob who died without will, and his mother Anna of Philadelphia county took out letters of administration in 1732, the letters stating that she was his mother and next of kin. Anna, mother of David and Jacob, made a will in which she bequeathed the grandfather clock to David, and the balance of her estate to all the children of her son David, except David's son John, who was left out.

(II) Jacob Kaufman, son of David, obtained the family estate in 1763, as above stated, purchasing it from the other heirs, and he retained it until his death, residing upon the property and engaging in farming. His wife was a member of the family of Hill, and among their children were: Jacob, John, Nicholas, Peter, Samuel and David. There is a tradition in the family that two of these sons, David and Nicholas, settled in Union county, Pa., and that Samuel settled in the State of Indiana. It is also believed that a son of the first Jacob located in the then wilds of Texas, where a county, town, a paper and a post-office bear the family name.

(III) Jacob Kauffman (2) inherited the homestead and followed farming all his life. He was born March 10, 1757, and died April 27, 1843, aged eighty-six years, one month and seventeen days. He is buried on the estate. On Sept. 14, 1807, he married after he was fifty years of age, Susanna Keim, born July 20, 1781, died March 16, 1870, aged eighty-eight years, seven months and twenty-six days. The children born to them were: (1) Jacob (3) inherited a part of the homestead. (2) Isaac inherited the other part. (3) David, born Sept. 14, 1819, died Dec. 7, 1843, aged twenty-four years, three months and three days, and is buried on the homestead; he m. Hannah Reiff, and they had no children. (4) Daniel owned the mill property now owned by Ammon Kauffman, of Oley. (5) Esther m. Daniel Griesemer, of Spangsville, Pa. (6) Hannah m. Daniel Levan of Oley. Others died in infancy. Jacob Kaufman (2) was a teamster in the Revolutionary war, taking the oath in 1777.

(IV) Jacob Kauffman (3), son of Jacob (2), was born on a portion of the homestead, March 13, 1813, and died Nov. 14, 1852, aged thirty-nine years, eight months and one day. He was a farmer and veterinary, and his services were in demand throughout his neighborhood. His wife was Margaret Yoder, daughter of William Yoder, of Oley, who lived on an adjoining farm. Four children were born to them: Jacob and Mary died in infancy: Frank Y. and Hiram.

(IV) Isaac Kauffman, son of Jacob (2) and a brother of Jacob (3), also father of Ephraim K., was born on the homestead in 1815, and died in 1880, aged sixty-five years, one month and nineteen days. He engaged in farming all his life, and became the owner of some very valuable property, aggregating 373 acres of the best land in Oley township. He was progressive in his methods, and developed his land. Mr. Kauffman was among the heaviest tax payers in the township. After his death the land was divided among his children, but some of it was purchased by Ephraim K. Kauffman. He was active in church life, and was a member of the Oley Reformed Church where he is buried. He married Lucy A. Knabb, daughter of Daniel H. and Eleanor (Weaver) Knabb, of Oley township. Mrs. Kauffman was born Oct. 25, 1816, and died Dec. 28, 1907, aged ninety-one years, two months and three days. Her mother attained to a still greater age, dying aged ninety-four years, four months and one day, and both are buried at Oley church. Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Kauffman had the following children: Rebecca, of Oley township; Ephraim K.; Miss Susan K., of Oley township; Daniel B., of Oley; Jacob K., a farmer of Amity township; Ellen K., m. to James Rothenberger, a farmer of Oley; Emma A., m. to James E. Snyder, of Oley.

(V) Ephraim K. Kauffman, a substantial farmer of Oley township, was born Aug. 9, 1838, son of Isaac Kauffman. He was born and reared on the Kauffman homestead, where he still resides. His education was obtained in the schools of his neighborhood, and at the Mount Pleasant Seminary at Boyertown, the Freeland Seminary at Collegeville, and the Oley Academy at Friedensburg. He then engaged in farming for his parents, supervising the large farms which his father owned, and since 1865 has supervised the cultivation of some 475 acres of the best agricultural land in Oley township. His own farm consists of 225 acres of excellent farming land. It is fertile, level, well-located and very valuable. This property is a portion of the original Kauffman estate. The residence is in colonial style, spacious and well-built, surrounded by a fine lawn studded with shrubbery, flowers and Norway pines. This house was erected in 1832, as was also the large Swiss barn.

In addition to this valuable farm, Mr. Kauffman owns a valuable farm of 250 acres in Warwick and East Nantmeal townships, Chester Co., Pa., which tract he has rented, although it is stocked with his own cattle. On this farm, in 1904, there was discovered a cannon of the Revolution, weighing 4550 pounds. This he removed to his Oley township home, and it now decorates the front lawn. In addition to this relic, Mr. Kauffman owns two grandfather clocks that came into the Kauffman family from the Weiser and Levan families.

Naturally as the owner of so much valuable realty, Mr. Kauffman is a heavy taxpayer of the township. He has other large interests, being one of the original directors of the Keystone National Bank of Reading, which was organized in 1883. He is connected with other organizations, and his private interests are large. Mr. Kauffman is a member of the Oley German Reformed Church, of which he was deacon for some years.

On Sept. 8, 1864, Mr. Kauffman was married to Miss Willi L. DeTurck, born Aug. 21, 1843, a daughter of Daniel and Willi (Levan) DeTurck. She died Dec. 8, 1904, aged sixty-one years. Two children were born to this union: Ella K. and John N. Of these Ella K. married a Mr. Sassaman and has one daughter, Mabel K., now a student in the Womans College, at Frederick, Md. Mrs. Sassaman resides with her father, and is a charming, accomplished woman.

(VI) John N. Kaufman, son of Ephraim K., was born Sept. 26, 1869, on the homestead. He was engaged in a milling and lumber business at Fleetwood where he had been for a number of years. He then entered the service of the Metal Body Company, of Fleetwood, where he did well. On April 1, 1909, the firm of Kaufman & Schaeffer, of Fleetwood, was formed, he being the senior member. They deal in flour, feed, grain, and coal. John N. Kaufman married Annie V. Schaeffer, daughter of Joel Schaeffer, of Fleetwood, Pa., and they have two children, Joel and Catherine Willi.

(V) Frank Y. Kaufman, son of Jacob (3), was born on the original homestead, March 12, 1847. His father died when he was only six years old, and so he was brought up in the home of his grandfather, William Yoder, and that of his maternal uncle George S. Yoder. Being in ill health in his youth his early education was neglected, but he later made up this deficiency by attending the Oley Academy, walking from Pleasantville to Friedensburg, a distance of three miles twice a day. Later he went to the normal school, leaving it in 1866. While living with his mother at Friedensburg he worked upon the farm, and he now owns part of the original homestead, his tract consisting of 124 acres of the best land in Oley township. He resides on Main street, Friedensburg in a handsome colonial mansion that was built in 1832.

Mr. Kaufman is a trustee of the Oley Academy, and has been for many years. He is a director of the Manatawny Fire Insurance Company; vice-president of the Oley Fire Company that was organized in 1899. Mr. Kaufman has clerked at many sales, thus serving his community since 1875. In politics Mr. Kaufman is a Democrat. Six times has he been returned to the office of justice of the peace, and so general has been the satisfaction with his decisions that only once did he meet with any opposition. Fraternally he is a member of Minnehaha Lodge, No. 154, K. of P., of Friedensburg, and he is the only charter member now living of this lodge which was organized in 1869. For more than a quarter of a century he has acted as its treasurer.

In 1870 Mr. Kaufman married Hannah Clouser, daughter of Daniel and Susanna (Brumbach) Clouser. They have children as follows: Sallie lives with the family of Edward Hultsheiser, a banker of Bernardsville, N. J.; Emily is a dressmaker residing at home; Elizabeth, a graduate of the training school for nurses of the University of Pennsylvania, married Charles O. Kruger, of Abington, Montgomery Co., Pa.; Rev. David, a Lutheran clergyman at Emaus, Pa., has a son, David; Rebecca died in 1898 at Reading while taking a course to fit her as a trained nurse; Rev. Roger, a Lutheran clergyman at Aurora, Ill., is a missionary and built a church in 1907; Mary is a dressmaker and resides at home.

Mr. Kaufman spells his name with but one "f" because he claims that is is the original way of spelling it, basing his claims upon family documents. One is one signed in good, plain English by the original David with but one "f" and another by the first Jacob signed the same way. Other members of the family use the two "f' way of spelling, but either way they all trace back to the original David and his sons, and all are worthy to bear the name of those sturdy pioneers who not only amassed fortunes, but who raised a high standard of living and set examples of honorable dealing which have come down to their descendants of this generation, stimulating them to further effort.


KAUFFMAN, HENRY EDMUND

p. 1011

Surnames: KAUFFMAN, BAUSCHER, WAGNER, DIEFFENBACH, MILLER, BAER, BATDORFF, HAWLEY, SCHLASMAN, LIVENGOOD, TREXLER, MYERS

Henry Edmund Kauffman, transcriber of indices under Jeremiah A. Bauscher, recorder of deeds of Berks county, was born July 22, 1859, in Bethel (Millersburg), Bethel township, this county, son of Edmund Kauffman.

Mr. Kauffman numbers among his ancestors some of the earliest settlers of northern Berks county. On the paternal side, besides being farmers, they carried on the manufacture of wooden pumps, some of which are still to be seen in use. On the maternal side were the Wagners and the Dieffenbachs, the former being farmers, while the latter, although owning some good tracts of land and raising their own produce, were largely mechanics, chiefly of the wood-working class. John Jacob Dieffenbach, his great-great-grandfather, is said to have been the first American-born citizen to manufacture pipe organs in this country.

Edmund Kauffman, the father, followed in the footsteps of his father, and engaged in the manufacture of pumps and in carpentering in connection with farming. In the early sixties he obeyed the call of patriotism, and enlisted in Company E, 151st Pa. V. I., being mustered in Oct. 28, 1862, and mustered out with his company July 30, 1863. On July 1, 1863, he was wounded at Gettysburg.

Henry Edmund Kauffman received his education in the schools in the vicinity of his home. He was still quite young when he was trained to all manner of manual labor, being able to do a man's work while still in his teens. At an early age he was apprenticed to A. I. Batdorff, and learned the tinsmith's trade. After completing his term of service, he, in 1877, took a preparatory course under Prof. T. P. Miller, and passed the examination under County Superintendent Prof. Samuel A. Baer, receiving his certificate to teach. He was considered a success in the school room, but, after a number of years at this work, he gave it up and in 1899 moved with his family to Reading. He held various minor positions for a time, and then entered the employ of the late Jesse G. Hawley, proprietor of the Reading Daily, Sunday and Weekly Eagles, where for more than fourteen years he held various responsible positions, during the last seven of which he was market master and assistant to the general superintendent of the Hawley real estate.

On Jan. 11, 1879, Mr. Kauffman married Kate Elizabeth Schlasman, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Livengood) Schlasman, and two daughters and one son blessed this union as follows: Elizabeth Stella, born Oct. 10, 1879, died Oct. 28, 1880; Mary Ella, born Jan. 21, 1881, died May 5, 1897; and Barton Earl, born May 14, 1892, died Feb. 12, 1894. In politics Mr. Kauffman has always been a Democrat, and he has been active in party work. He was confirmed in the Lutheran faith by the Rev. D. D. Trexler, and has always taken an active part in church and Sunday-school work, in the latter having been through the grades from pupil to superintendent. In the Salem Union Church at Millersburg he was a member of the choir; at Rehrersburg, Bible class teacher and member of choir, and now deacon in Grace Lutheran Church, Reading, Rev. William H. Myers, pastor.


KAUFFMAN, JAMES G.

p. 634

Surnames: KAUFFMAN, GREIM, SEAMAN, BUSHONG, KLINE, SPATZ, ROTHENBERGER, LOOSE, SCHOCK, WERTMAN, PHILLIPS, BAGENSTOSE, MOSER, WINTER, LIGHTFOOT, HARTMAN, LEINBACH, PARVIN

James G. Kauffman, farmer and lifelong resident of Centre township, Berks county, was born there Sept. 21, 1862, son of David and Elizabeth (Greim) Kaufman. He is one of the fifth generation of his family in Berks county, where his great-great-grandfather settled about the middle of the eighteenth century.

Jacob Kauffman came to America on the ship "Phoenix," landing Sept. 15, 1749, with 550 other passengers from Zweibrucken, Nassau, Wurtemberg and the Palatinate. He and two brothers located in Lancaster county, Pa., but the land there was not what he wanted, so he did not remain long. He did not want to undertake the work of clearing away the forests which then covered that region, and land which could be converted into meadows, to raise hay to feed his stock, seemed to him more desirable, so with one brother he came to Berks county, settling in Bern (now Upper Bern) township. He took up a large tract of land in the fertile valley at the foot of the Blue Mountain, near the present site of St. Michael's Church, receiving a patent for about seven hundred acres, part of which was meadow land, with an abundant water supply. He built a log house with a cellar, particularly adapted for defense against the Indians, there being no opening which afforded an easy entrance, and an attack could be repelled by shooting from a window. The few settlers then in the vicinity suffered much from the treachery and depredations of the Indians, and they accordingly established a military post, the men carrying their guns when they went forth to their work in the morning and returning to the fort when their day's work was done. This state of affairs continued from 1754 to 1764, but with all their precautions about one hundred settlers were killed, a brother of Jacob Kauffman being among the number. Jacob Kauffman, himself had many thrilling adventures and some narrow escapes from death, but he continued to work and prosper and in time became a well-to-do man. In later years he built a substantial stone mansion upon this farm, and this dwelling is still standing in a good state of preservation. He followed farming on his old homestead until his death in 1804, and he left a tract of a little over one hundred acres (the old homestead) to his son Yost; this is now owned by the John Kauffman Estate, the sixth generation. Jacob Kauffman was buried at St. Michael's Church, of which he was one of the promoters and an active member. He reared a large family of children, and it is said that his sons became great hunters, deer at that time being very plentiful in that section. Tradition has it that a gun now owned by one of his descendants has killed as many as two hundred deer.

Philip Kauffman, son of Jacob, born Dec. 21, 1757, died Nov. 17, 1843. He was buried at St. Michael's Lutheran Church, of which he was a member. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war. For many years he carried on farming, living on a portion of the original tract taken up by his father, where he remained until his death. He married Magdalena Seaman, daughter of Ludwig Seaman, and to them were born eleven children, seven sons and four daughters.

David Kauffman, son of Philip, was born Sept. 24, 1790, in Bern township, after his marriage locating in Centre township. He was reared to farming, and followed that vocation throughout his active years, buying 190 acres in Centre township, now known as the Bushong farm, and also owning 120 acres adjoining this tract. He did not engage in active labors for fifteen years prior to his death, but continued to live on his farm. He was a member of the Lutheran congregation of Belleman's Church, and in politics was a stanch Democrat.

On Feb. 26, 1814, Mr. Kauffman married Magdalena Kline, born April 15, 1793, died June 14, 1846, and he survived her many years, dying March 6, 1868; he is buried at Belleman's Church. Twelve children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Kauffman, namely: Elizabeth, deceased, wife of Valentine Spatz; William, deceased, of Centre township; David, who is mentioned further on; Mary, deceased, wife of John Rothenberger; Lavina, wife of William Loose, of Centre township; Catharine, widow of Dr. John Spatz, of Centreport; Sallie, deceased, wife of John Kauffman; Matilda, deceased, widow of John Rothenberger, of Reading; Levi, deceased, who lived in Leesport; Lydia, deceased, wife of Leonard Schock, of Leesport; Deborah, deceased; and George, deceased, whose family live at Pottstown.

David Kauffman, son of David, was born Nov. 1, 1820 in Bern township, where he was reared, attending the public schools and growing up into an intimate knowledge of farm work. He followed farming on his father's 190-acre farm for seven years before purchasing an adjoining tract, the farm of 161 acres which is now the property of his son James G. There he carried on general agriculture until eleven years before his death, when he retired, settling in Leesport, where he enjoyed a well-earned competency. Besides the home place he owned two farms in Bern township, one of 130 acres and another of 108 acres, as well as his fine home in Leesport. He was a stanch Democrat and took an active part in public affairs of his community as well as in religious matters, being a prominent Lutheran Member of Belleman's Church, which he served for a number of years as deacon and elder.

Mr. Kauffman married Nov. 24, 1849, Elizabeth Greim, born April 20, 1824, daughter of John and Sarah (Wertman) Greim, of Bern township. He died July 28, 1897, at the age of seventy-six years, and Mrs. Kauffman passed away Jan. 6, 1898, aged seventy-three years; they are buried side by side at Belleman's Church. They had children as follows: Sarah, deceased, m. Henry Phillips, a farmer of Centre township; Isabella, deceased, m. Isaac Bagenstose, who was a farmer of Bern township; John is deceased; Elizabeth is deceased; David is deceased; Catherine (deceased) m. Samuel Moser; James G. is mentioned below; Louisa G. m. John Winter, of Reading.

James G. Kauffman received his education in the public schools of Centre township, the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, and the Central State Normal School at Lock Haven, Pa. He was twenty when he left school, after which he engaged in farming with his father until 1886, when he took up farming on his own account. In 1893 he purchased the farm of 161 acres formerly owned by his father, a fertile tract supplied with very fine spring water. This farm was first purchased from the Pennsylvania proprietors in 1749 by Benjamin Lightfoot, a pioneer of Berks county, and was purchased by David Kauffman, father of the present owner, in 1856. Mr. Kauffman not only carries on farming, but also breeds stock, fattens cattle, and carries on a dairy business.

On Jan. 30, 1886, Mr. Kauffman married Mary L. Hartman, daughter of George C. and Rebecca J. (Leinbach) Hartman, of Bern township, and nine children were born to this union, namely: Winfield Hartman, who died Sept. 24, 1887; Benjamin H., a graduate of the Perkiomen Seminary, 1908, and now a student at State College (he taught school three terms); Laura Rebecca H., who died Aug. 21, 1889; George Robert H., who is a teacher in Bern township at present; James Leinbach H., who is a student at the Keystone State Normal School; Mabel Elizabeth H.; John Greim H., deceased; Irvin Hartman; and Harry E. H. Mr. Kauffman and members of his family belong to Belleman's Lutheran Church at Dauberville, in Centre Township, and he has served several years as deacon of that congregation.

In politics Mr. Kauffman is a prominent member of the Democratic party in his locality, and he has acted upon several occasions as delegate to county and State conventions. He has been the choice of his party for a number of local offices, having been elected assessor of the township shortly after he reached his majority, served two terms as school director, and since 1901 has served as justice of the peace. He was appointed to the office in May of that year, and was elected in the fall of the same year. His services in every position have been highly acceptable.

Mrs. Mary L. (Hartman) Kauffman comes of a family that has been well represented in the educational world. She was born in Bern township, March 25, 1863, daughter of George C. and Rebecca Jane (Leinbach) Hartman, of the borough of West Leesport. She was the eldest of eight children ? six sons and two daughters ? the others being: Carrie Jane, m. to M. S. Parvin, of East Berkley; Capt. J. D. L.; a graduate of West Point Military Academy, now a captain in the First U. S. Cavalry, and stationed in the Philippines; Rev. George W., pastor of St. John's Reformed Church at Orwigsburg; Dr. Irvin H., of Reading; Prof. F. O., supervising principal of the Woodbine Schools, New Jersey; Harry E., a member of the real estate firm of Barber, Hartman & Co., Philadelphia; and Prof. Winfield L., instructor in Latin and Greek in Perkiomen Seminary. Mrs. Kauffman is a member of the Reformed Church, and is greatly interested in the cause of education, having done much to inspire in her children an ambition for learning. She has been a faithful wife and mother, and her home is most pleasant and hospitable.


KAUFFMAN, OLIVER F.

p. 943

Surnames: KAUFFMAN, FOCHT, BRUNNER, LAMM, LICHTY, BALTHASER

Oliver F. Kauffman was considered one of the most reliable and promising young business men of Reading, and the news of his untimely death was received with widespread regret. His store at No. 48 North Eighth street was an evidence of prosperity not always attained within a few years, and his high standing was due directly to a degree of enterprise and irreproachable business methods not always found in combination. Mr. Kauffman was born in Tilden township, Berks county, in 1873, son of Nathaniel S. and Catherine (Focht) Kauffman, the latter of whom died in 1877.

Nathaniel S. Kauffman, who is now connected with a music house at Detroit, Mich., was born March 11, 1847, and received his early education in the common schools and Prof. D. B. Brunner's Academy, Reading. He subsequently attended the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, after which he followed teaching very successfully for a period of sixteen years, becoming one of the best known educators in this section. His fitness for public position was recognized by his fellow-townsmen, and he proved himself very valuable in the various offices to which he was chosen. He served as justice of the peace for sixteen years, constable for seven years, judge of elections one year, postmaster one year, and representative in the State Assembly one term, 1887-88. For two years he clerked in a general store, also followed conveyancing and surveying, was a director in the W. M. A. and Fire Insurance Company, and served as vice-president of that company for a time. He is a prominent man in St. Michael's Church, which he served as secretary. He was the father of five children: Oliver F., Agnes (wife of Milton Lamm), Ethan (of Shoemakersville, in the bicycle and automobile business), and Robert and Lillie (deceased).

Oliver F. Kauffman attended the public schools and later a summer school, and at the age of sixteen years began teaching, being thus engaged one term in Tilden township and one in Upper Bern township... He came to Reading April 3, 1892, entering the music store of C. H. Lichty as a salesman, and remaining with him until Aug. 5, 1895, when he embarked in the music business on his own account, at No. 25 South Seventh street. He was located there but a short time, however, removing to No. 104 North Eighth street, where by straightforward and honest methods of doing business he gained confidence and built up a large trade. Finding that larger quarters were necessary, owing to the great increase in business, he erected his place of business at No. 48 North Eighth street, a large and commodious three-story building 16 x 130 feet. He carried a complete line of musical instruments, of all kinds, as well as sewing machines, and commanded a high class of trade. Mr. Kauffman dealt in the Krakauer, Fischer, Kroeger and Franklin pianos, the well known Miller organ, the White sewing machine, Standard sewing machine, and as a jobber of Edison phonographs, records, and other musical merchandise. He was very successful in business, and attributed his prosperity to honest dealing. He also had a place of business at No. 911 Penn street, the Reading Phonograph Company, where he established a trade in phonographs and records really remarkable, but this store was discontinued in 1907. His four delivery wagons were to be seen on the streets of Reading almost any time.

Mr. Kauffman was married in 1894 to Susan A. Balthaser, of Hamburg, Berks county, and two children were born to the union, Arthur N. and Grace I. The family occupy a fine home at No. 1508 Perkiomen avenue, Reading.

Mr. Kauffman was prominently connected fraternally, being a member of Reading Lodge, No. 549 F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Philadelphia Consistory, A. A. S. R.; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He was also connected with the Eagles, the Knights of Malta and the Modern Woodmen of America. He was one of the victims of the wreck of the Shriners' special train at Honda, Ca., May 11, 1907, having been instantly killed. Mr. Kauffman was buried in the Charles Evans cemetery, with Knight Templar honors, his funeral being attended by the Grand Commander and staff of the Knights Templars. He was a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church.


KAUFMAN, DAVID K.

p 738

Surnames: KAUFMAN, BERNDT, SELL, HAAS, KELLER, MADARY, KLOHS, WILLETS, LEIGHTHEISER

One of the old and honored families of Berks county, Pa., is that of Kaufman, which has a worthy representative in Reading in David K. Kaufman, now living retired after a busy and successful career.

The Kaufman family was founded in America by two brothers, Jacob and Samuel Kaufman, who emigrated from Switzerland to America in 1770, the former settling in the Oley Valley and, the latter, the great-grandfather of David K., in Maiden Creek, where he became a very prosperous farmer and stock dealer and a man well and favorably known in his vicinity. The name of his wife is not known, but it is known that their son, Samuel, married Catherine Berndt and had a large family, among whom were: John G., Samuel, Daniel, David and two daughters, one of whom married a Mr. Sell, and the other David Haas. In religious belief the family were members of the Reformed denomination. The Kaufmans were Whigs up to the time of the formation of the Republican party, when they joined the latter organization.

David Kaufman, father of David K.. was educated in the old-fashioned log schoolhouse of his day, where, although the floor was rough and the benches poorly constructed and minus the comfortably fashioned racks of the schools of today, he received a substantial education. After spending a few years at farm labor, Mr. Kaufman engaged in iron manufacturing, purchasing, in company with Samuel Kaufman, the well-known Mt. Laurel Furnaces property, and built up a mammoth business for those days-in fact, the largest in the county. They were the pioneers of the industry in this section, and their business formed the nucleus of the present Temple Iron Works. It may be truthfully said that Temple owes its present prosperity to the Messrs. Kaufman. They continued in that business until they sold out to William H. Clymer & Co., and Mr. Kaufman removed to Milton, Lycoming county. where he built an iron furnace. These brothers also owned the Moselem Iron Ore Banks, which were then and still are the most extensive in the county, although they are not being operated at the present time. Another brother owned and operated the furnace at Leesport. Mr. David Kaufman operated his Milton furnace until his death in 1870, in his fifty- sixth year. David Kaufman m. (first) Eliza Keller, and to this union one child was born, David K. He m. (second) Miss Madary, and to this second union there were born a large family, members of whom reside today in Lycoming county.

David K. Kaufman was born at Mt. Laurel Furnaces June 19. 1845, and educated in the schools of Maidencreek. When a lad of twelve years he went to live with his uncle, Samuel G. Kaufman, with whom he remained until attaining his majority. He started his business life as a clerk for William S. Baer & Co., with which firm he continued several years, then going to Findlay, Ohio. to accept a position as clerk in Senator H. P. Gates' mercantile establishment. Here he remained one year and then resigned to take a like position with Sanders & Co., of Tiffin, Ohio, returning to his native county one year later. He secured employment as baggage master and extra conductor with the East Penn Railway, operating between Harrisburg and New York, this road being later absorbed by the Philadelphia & Reading Company. Mr. Kaufman then entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading rolling mill, as a common laborer, and after a short time was promoted to roller, continuing with the company for twelve years and four months. At the end of this time he leased the Reading Oil Refinery, which he conducted for one year, and then purchased a farm in the northern part of the city. On this fertile, well cultivated tract of eleven acres, on Centre avenue, between Amity and Union streets, Mr. Kaufman engaged profitably in truck farming, until he sold in 1907 for $36 000. The property was very valuable for building purposes, containing 150 building lots and before selling it, Mr. Kaufman received many flattering offers. He is now living retired.

In 1869 Mr. Kaufman married Magdalena R. Klohs. and to this union were born two children: William H.; and Sally A., m. to John G. Willets. Mr. Kaufman m. (second) Rosa Leightheiser, a native of Reading, but there have been no children to this union. Mr. Kaufman is fraternally connected with Mt. Penn Council, Royal Arcanum. He is a member of the Evangelical Church, which his wife also attends. For fifteen years he was a director of the Reading Relief Society. In political affairs Mr. Kaufman is a Republican, but he has never had a desire to hold public office, but for six years was a member of the Reading school board. He is one of the city's substantial citizens, and is well and favorably known throughout his vicinity.


KAUFMANN, ALBERT B.

p. 641

Surnames: KAUFMANN, BOYER, DRICK, BRAUN

Albert B. Kaufmann, connected with the insurance business in Reading, is one of the influential men of that city. Mr. Kaufmann comes from German ancestry, his father crossing the sea in 1850, settling in Reading, and following his trade of a tailor with the clothing house of Jameson & Co., whom he served faithfully for nearly fifty years. He died Feb. 23, 1892, at the age of seventy-one years. He married Christiana, daughter of John and Christiana Boyer, and she died Dec. 11, 1894, at the age of sixty-eight. She was the mother of ten children, four of whom are deceased; the others are Carolina, m. to Charles Drick, a planing mill operative; John, a clerk in Reading; Charles, a tailor with Jameson & Co., for over thirty years; Adolph G., a grocer, member of the firm of Smith and Kaufmann, Reading; Albert B.; and William G., a tailor in Reading.

Albert B. Kaufmann, born Jan. 22, 1867, in Reading, was educated in St. John's Lutheran parochial school of the city. He began his business life early, engaging as an operative in a planing mill and this he followed for twenty-one years, when he launched out into the real estate and insurance business, which he has continued with success to the present time. Fraternally Mr. Kaufmann is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Encampment and the Protestant Junior Association. He is quite active in church work, being a member of St. John's Lutheran Church, where he has served as a member of the choir. He is also a member of the organization known as St. John's Beneficial Society of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Kaufmann is a Democrat in politics.

On Oct. 29, 1888, Mr. Kaufmann married Miss Emma R. Braun, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Braun, both now deceased. Two of the six children born to this marriage, Florence May and Emma R., died in infancy; those living are Adelaide, Elmer T., Walter J., and Ruth Elizabeth.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:48 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.