Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

JACKSON, WILLIAM E.

p. 1664

Surnames: JACKSON, BUSHY, MORRIS, THORNTON, ROGERS, BARKLEY, RUNYEON, FRITCH, KLINE, NOLL, SNYDER, MOHR, YOUNG, SHEARER, MILLER, WAGNER, JOHNSON, COX, MOYER, ARMON

William E. Jackson, who recently moved with his family from Cumru township to Philadelphia, was born Jan. 4, 1866, in Reading, Pa., son of Charles H. and Amanda H. (Bushy) Jackson.

Ephraim Jackson, Sr., the progenitor of this family in Berks county, was a resident of Robeson township prior to 1750, and it is traditional that he was a relative of President Andrew Jackson. He had two sons: John, the great-grandfather of William E.; and Ephraim, Jr. Whose will was probated in 1807, in which were mentioned these children: Thomas, Mary and Joseph; Lydia (m. Enos Morris); Sarah (m. Innis Thornton); Rachel (m. Jesse Rogers); Hannah (m. Isaac Morris); Susanna; and Mary (m. Iddings Barkley). Elias Jackson, the grandfather of William E., was one of the first foundrymen of Kutztown, and a pioneer of that business in eastern Pennsylvania. For many years he lived in Kutztown, where he became prosperous and influential, giving employment to many people.

Mr. Jackson married a Miss Runyeon, and to them were born seven children: Frank, who resided at Kutztown; Charles H., the father of William E.; Andrew and Robert, who lost their lives during the Civil war; Amanda (m. Allen Fritch); Annie (m. David Kline); and John, m. Amelia Noll, by whom he had four children, Robert, Annie, Emma and John.

Charles H. Jackson was born Nov. 10, 1833, in Hereford township, Berks county, and died Dec. 3, 1900, at Kutztown. Until fourteen years of age he lived in Philadelphia, after which he came with his parents to Kutztown, and there learned the molding trade in his father's shop, where he worked until 1860. In this year he located in Reading, working at his trade in that city until his retirement, a few years prior to his demise, returning to Kutztown. Mr. Jackson was buried in the Aulenbach cemetery, Reading. In politics he was a Republican, and fraternally he was connected with the I. O. O. F., for many years. He married Amanda H. Bushy, who was born March 2, 1837, and who died Sept. 3, 1885, daughter of Samuel Bushy. Thirteen children were born to them, namely: Mary A., who died in infancy; Annie, who died at the age of twelve years; Sallie, m. G. W. Snyder, Charles, m. Kate Young; Kate, m. H. W. Mohr; Frances, m. Llewellyn Shearer; William E.; George, who died in childhood; John, who was married; Samuel, m. Mary Miller; Robert, m. Rosa Kline; Emma, m. Harry W. Wagner; and Florence, who died single at the age of twenty-four years.

William E. Jackson was reared in Reading and secured a good common school education, completing the grammar grades when sixteen years of age. He learned the molding trade at the Adam Johnson foundry, Eighth and Chestnut streets, and with this firm he continued for more than ten years, after which he worked for one year with the Dixon Foundry Company, of Wilkesbarre, Pa., and in 1898, he became associated with the Reading Stove Works as a molder. He was soon promoted to a foremanship, filling his position with ability for six years, and in 1906 he accepted a like position with the Abraham Cox Stove Company, of Philadelphia, a position in which he is now serving. Mr. Jackson is a skilled foundryman and has inherited much of his ability from his ancestors, who were early engaged in that business in this section. In politics Mr. Jackson is a Republican. In 1905 he was elected a school director of Cumru township, and as such in various ways helped to advance the educational interests of the community. During his term in office in the capacity of school director the high school was advanced from a second grade to a first grade school, and janitors were employed in the graded school buildings. Mr. Jackson is a charter member of Washington Camp No. 329, P. O. S. of A., of Reading. He is a member of the Iron Molders Union of America, in the local branch of which he has held all the important offices; was one of the organizers of Local No. 208, of Dover, N. J.; and is also connected with the Foundry Foremen's Association of Philadelphia. He and his family are connected with the First Reformed Church of Reading.

On Jan. 15, 1887, Mr. Jackson was united in marriage with Miss Annie L. Moyer, daughter of Cyrus D. and Matilda (Armon) Moyer, the former of whom was a machinist of Reading. To Mr. and Mrs. Jackson five children have been born, as follows: Edna M., born in 1887; William M., Dec. 29, 1889; Leon R., July 14, 1893; Harold C., July 29, 1900; and Alfred I., April 3, 1903.


JACOBS, J. HOWARD

p. 616

Surnames: JACOBS, DAVIES, MOORE, MORRIS, CRESWELL, LINCOLN, KALBACH, SUMMERVILLE, HOFF

Picture of J. Howard JacobsJ. Howard Jacobs, in whose death, which occurred Aug. 18, 1902, at his home in Reading, that city lost one of its good citizens and a professional man of considerable reputation, was born in 1838, in the Conestoga Valley, in the lower part of Berks county, son of Samuel and Mary A. (Davies) Jacobs. Samuel Jacobs was a farmer in the Conestoga Valley. He and his wife, Mary A. (Davies), were members of the Episcopal Church. Of their children, Thomas (deceased) was a resident of Iowa; J. Howard is mentioned below; Mary married Clifton Moore, of Pottstown, Pa.; Annie married William Morris, of Atlanta, Georgia.

J. Howard Jacobs received his early education in the public schools, and then studied law in the office of judge Banks. After his admission to the Bar of Berks county, he practiced in Reading, where all of his professional life was passed, becoming a leading member of the legal fraternity. Mr. Jacobs died Aug. 18, 1902, and was buried four days later in the Charles Evans cemetery.

In 1860 Mr. Jacobs married Hannah E. Creswell, daughter of Samuel M. and Thomazine (Lincoln) Creswell, farming people, the former of whom was a Presbyterian and the latter an Episcopalian. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs, as follows: Carrie H., who married William Summerville, of Washington, D. C., and has one child, J. Howard Jacobs; Sallie, who married Pierson Hoff, and has one child, D. Pierson; Edward H.; and J. Howard, an attorney at Reading, who married Margaret Kalbach. In his political principles Mr. Jacobs was a Republican, and in religious faith an Episcopalian. For many years he had been identified with the Masons.


JACOBS, JOHN

p. 647

Surnames: JACOBS, BECHTEL, WINTER, MUSSER, DeHART, GRIEFF, FRYBERGER

John Jacobs, who died in Reading May 12, 1894, was a native of Chester county, Pa., born in 1836. Mr. Jacobs remained at home until he had finished his studies in the public schools, and had learned the trade of stone cutter, after which he went to Norristown to work. He was employed there for several years, and then moved to Reading, where the rest of his life was spent. He worked for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, at first as a stone cutter and later as foreman, continuing in that position until within the last six years of his life. He was a master of his trade, a fine workman and mechanic, and his perfect reliability was fully appreciated by his employers. In politics he supported the Democratic party, and fraternally he was connected with the Red Men. A man of uniformly good character and actuated by the best motives, his life was an exemplification of his religious faith, and he was a sincere member of the First Reformed Church of Reading.

In 1874 Mr. Jacobs married Mrs. Mary A. Bechtel Winter, widow of David Winter, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Henry Musser, so long Mr. Jacobs' pastor. Mrs. Jacobs was daughter of John C. Bechtel, a farmer of Exeter township of well known Democratic principles. She was born in 1826, and her only brother, Joseph, m. Lydia DeHart, and has two daughters: Catherine m. John Grieff; and Louisa m. the late George Fryberger. Mrs. Jacobs has no children. Like her husband she is a devout member of the Reformed Church, and one of its earnest workers. She has many warm friends.


JACOBS, JOHN W.

p. 1591

Surnames: JACOBS, WELLS, BEARD, BALB, DAMPMAN, RHINE, STOCKER

John W. Jacobs, a substantial business man of Caernarvon township, whose fine farm of fifty-five acres is situated near the town of Joanna, Pa., is also engaged in contracting, and does a large creamery and ice business. Mr. Jacobs was born Aug. 24, 1849, at White Bear, Berks county, son of James R. and Mary (Wells) Jacobs. James R. Jacobs was a native of Berks county, a son of Christian Jacobs. He married Mary Wells, born at Joanna, the daughter of William and Christiana (Beard) Wells. John W. Jacobs was educated in the public schools of Caernarvon and Robeson townships, and early in life engaged in agricultural pursuits. On his fine fifty-five acre farm are located a saw and planing mill (where job work is done) and a fine residence, surrounded by native trees. He also has an ice house and creamery, the output of the latter being about 3,000 quarts of milk daily, which is shipped to Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Jacobs has also been quite extensively engaged in contracting, and in this as well as in his other lines, he has been very successful. He is a man of much business ability, and his reputation for integrity in business dealings is an enviable one. Politically, he is a Republican, on the ticket of which party he has been elected to the offices of judge of election, auditor and member of the school board, of which he is now secretary. He and his family are members of Harmony Methodist Church, where he has served as a member of the board of stewards. Mr. Jacobs married Barbara Ann Wells, daughter of James E. and Rosanna (Balb) Wells, and granddaughter of James and Mary Wells. To their union have been born the following children: Eva, born July 11, 1875, m. H. W. Dampman, lives in Canonsburg, Pa., and has one son, John, born in February 1897; J. Herbert, born June 10, 1877, m. Miss Elizabeth Rhine; Mary R., born Dec. 20, 1880, m. Clarence M. Stocker, lives in Amesville, O., and has two children, Anna M., and C. Jackson; William Howard, born April 11, 1883; Carrie Ann, Sept. 8, 1885, died June 19, 1907; John W., Nov. 13, 1887; E. Merrill, Jan. 10, 1890; Wynn T., April 8, 1893; and Elizabeth E., June 21, 1897.


JACOBS, OSWIN A. H.

p. 1238

Surnames: JACOBS, HENSINGER, HITTLE, MILLER, NUSS, BENTSINGER, De LONG, WEIDNER, GRANT

Oswin A. H. Jacobs, justice of the peace at Boyertown, Pa., was born in Hereford township, Berks Co., Pa., March 17, 1865, a son of William H. and Susanna (Hensinger) Jacob.

John Jacob, the grandfather, was a native of Trappe, Montgomery Co., Pa. In early life he settled in Hereford township, where he lived for many years and later resided in Columbia county. He was a veterinary surgeon for forty years and made his trips over the country in a high, two-wheeled sulky, such as was used by professional men of that day. He was a man of natural and acquired ability and is described as being of aristocratic appearance and as always wearing a "stove-pipe" hat. For thirty years he filled the office of justice of the peace.

His first marriage was to a Miss Hittle and his second to a Miss Miller. The children of the first marriage were: Elizabeth, who married Joseph Nuss and lived at Lena, Ill.; William H.; John H., who lives in Lehigh county; and Joshua H., who was a soldier in the Civil war and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness. A large family was born to the second union, among whom were: Mary, Amanda, Susanna, Abraham, Franklin, Allen, James and Charles. The father was buried at Hoover's Church, Montgomery County. William H. Jacob, father of justice Jacobs, was born in Berks county, Pa., in May, 1832, died Oct. 14, 1898, in the sixty-fifth year of his age, and is buried in Lehigh county.

He was a carpenter and followed bridge work for many years and assisted in building the railroad bridges on the Reading line between that city and Philadelphia. His grandfather Hittle was the general boss of the construction work and under him William H. Jacob learned the trade. Later Mr. Jacob became a farmer at Hensingerville, on his father-in-law's land, and in addition he conducted the hotel there for some time. Later he became the proprietor of the Maple Grove hotel in Longswamp township, which he owned and conducted for twelve years. After this he bought a farm of seventy acres near Topton, but a few years later sold and purchased the Bentsinger farm of fifty acres, at Maple Grove, and on that farm he died. He was a man of large intelligence and retentive memory, possessed a natural gift for penmanship and was very popular among his fellows.

William H. Jacob married Susanna Hensinger, a daughter of Peter and Catherine (De Long) Hensinger, formerly of Berks and then of Lehigh county. Peter Hensinger once conducted Gauby's tannery in Berks county and after selling that he bought a tract of 150 acres in Upper Macungie township where valuable minerals, rock and hematite ore were found. He built the Hensingerville store and hotel, together with dwellings, and was the leading man in the village, which was named in his honor. His children all became good members of society. The children born to William Jacob and wife were: Catherine, deceased; William, who conducts a photographic studio at Clarion, Ia.; John, a resident of Des Moines, Ia.; James, residing at Wilmington, Del., is superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad Construction Co.; Oswin A. H.; Franklin H., foreman of the car shops at Wilmington, Del.; and an infant daughter.

Oswin A. H. Jacobs secured his educational training in the public schools and at the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown and was licensed to teach school by Prof. D. S. Keck but he never made use of the permission. When he was fourteen years of age he learned the milling trade and continued to be interested in it until 1906, with the exception of three years, from 1883 to 1886, when he went to Hawarden, Ia. His business there was preparing and dealing in hay. He cut, dried and baled the upland blue joint prairie grass, which is noted for its sustaining qualities and during his last year in the West he was superintendent of the Chicago & Northwestern Hay Co., which is a successful corporation still doing business.

In the spring of 1886, Mr. Jacobs returned to Berks county and continued his milling business, conducting it along the most modern lines at different points, and while at Linfield, in Montgomery county, he served as postmaster from 1893 until 1905. From there in 1906 he came to Boyertown and now occupies a handsome residence on North Reading Avenue. He is still in business, conducting an extensive wholesale feed trade and also operates his four acre farm near Boyertown.

On Jan. 11, 1887, Mr. Jacobs was married to Mary G. Weidner, daughter of William and Mary (Grant) Weidner, of Lobachsville, and to this union were born the following children: Frances E., who married William Weidner, of Boyertown; Oswin D., a bookkeeper residing at Boyertown; Lizzie, Annie and Eva, all deceased; and Mary J., Mabel, William, Helen, Esther, Elda and John, residing at home. Mr. Jacobs and family are members of the Longswamp Lutheran Church. of which he has been a deacon and elder. In politics, Justice Jacobs is a Democrat and he has held local offices in Longswamp and Colebrookdale townships. In the spring of 1908 he was elected a justice of the peace of the borough of Boyertown. For many years he has been interested in fraternal organizations, believing they increase sociability and foster humanitarian impulses and at the same time implant ideas of high and virtuous living. He organized three of the lodges at Boyertown, the Odd Fellows, the Red Men and the Woodmen. While at Kutztown he helped to organize the Adonai Castle, K. G. E., of which he was a charter member. He belongs to Boyertown Lodge of Odd Fellows, No. 708, to the Boyertown Lodge of Woodmen, No. 8286, and to the Boyertown P. O. S. of A., No. 104.

An added note, not included and submitted by Theodore Miller, is that Oswin also had a daughter, Lottie.


JACOBS, WILLIAM R.

p. 1171

Surnames: JACOBS, LEIGHTNER, WAGNER, ARTHUR

William R. Jacobs, proprietor of the Quaker Cafe, at No. 523 Penn street, Reading, was born Nov. 23, 1875, at Knox, Clarion Co., Pa., son of Leary R. Jacobs and grandson of Henry Jacobs.

Henry Jacobs, the grandfather, a native of Germany, came to America when fourteen years old, and for some years resided at Shirleysburg, Huntingdon Co., Pa., at present living retired. He was a farmer during his active years, and still owns a large and valuable farm. He has now (1908) reached the age of seventy-two. Among the ten children born to him and his wife, Elizabeth, were: Roy, Harry, Albert, Leary R., George, Henry, Halbert, James, and Annie (m. William Leightner, of Shirleysburg, Pennsylvania). Leary R. Jacobs, father of William R. Jacobs, lives at Altoona, Blair Co., Pa., and is there employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He married Nina Wagner, and they have had two children, William R. and Florence.

William R. Jacobs received his education in the public schools of Altoona. His first work was in a broom factory, where he learned all the details of broom-making, being employed there for about seven years. The next year he worked in a grocery store in the same city, and then entered the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company as a scale builder, remaining with that company for about fifteen years. In the fall of 1906 he came to Reading, where be became proprietor of the Quaker Cafe, at No. 523 Penn street, buying out William Arthur. Mr. Jacobs has built up a good trade, and is making a success of his establishment. He is well known among the local fraternities, belonging to Juniata Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men; to Mountain City Lodge, No. 824, I. O. O. F., of Altoona, and to Aerie No. 66, Fraternal Order of Eagles, of Reading.


JACOBY, CONRAD

p. 1170

Surnames: JACOBY, KERCHNER, STITZEL, FOCHT, MENGEL, SONDAY, GROW, EISENHOUR, ADAM, FEGLEY, LESHER, HOLLENBACH, REESER, SHOMO, BAUSHER, BRISON, ROBITZER, UNGER, DUMN, HINTERLEITER

Conrad Jacoby, a native of Europe, and the ancestor of a family of upper Berks county, Pa., was born Nov. 30, 1744, and died Aug. 6, 1823, in Windsor township where he made his home. He was a farmer by occupation. His wife, Anna Magdalena (Kerchner), born Aug. 20, 1757, died Aug. 1, 1822, in her sixty-fifth year. Their married life covered a period of forty-seven years. They are buried in the old graveyard of Zion's Union Church in Perry township, near the stone wall along the street, and their graves are marked by brown sandstone tombstones. The number of their children is not known, but among them were Catharine and Conrad.

The daughter, born in 1779, died in 1842. She was the wife of Peter Stitzel (1764--1841), of Windsor township, and they are buried at Zion's Church.

Conrad Jacoby, son of Conrad, born June 24, 1784, died Nov. 15, 1854, aged seventy years, four months, twenty-one days. He married Elizabeth Focht, born Sept. 17, 1784, died June 16, 1862, and to them were born three sons and one daughter, Johann Georg, Daniel, Jeremias (Jeremiah) and Mrs. Joseph Mengel. We have the following record of the three sons: Johann Georg Jacoby, born in Windsor township Sept. 16 1807, died March 11, 1850. On Dec. 25, 1832, be married Elizabeth Sonday, and they lived in Windsor township. They are buried at old Zion's Church. Their children were: Mary, who died unmarried at the age of twenty-five years, and Joseph, born June 11, 1843, died Sept. 1, 1906, who married Eliza Grow. Daniel Jacoby was married three times, first to an Eisenhour, by whom he had two sons, Samuel and Charles (m. Lydia Adam). By his second wife, Rachel (Fegley), he had one son, William, m. to Hettie Lesher, and father of twelve children, one son and eleven daughters, of whom Clara and Alva died young. Jeremias (Jeremiah) Jacoby was born in Windsor township Jan. 12, 1811, and died Nov. 19, 1855, aged forty-four years, ten months, seven days.

He lived in his native township, but is buried with many other members of the family at Zion's Church, in Perry township. His wife, Eva (Hollenbach), born in Windsor March 25, 1811, died Nov. 19, 1871, aged sixty years, seven months, twenty-four days. Five children were born to them, namely: Joseph, John, George, Susan and Ellen. Joseph Jacoby, late of Hamburg, Berks county, was born in Windsor township, May 18, 1828, and died at Hamburg, June 7, 1902, aged seventy-four years. He was a stone mason. During the Civil war he was a soldier in the Union army. He and wife, Sarah Reeser, were members of St. John's Lutheran Church, and are buried in the cemetery adjoining it in the family plot. Their children, seven in number, were: Wilson; Amanda m. Dr. Cosmus Shomo, of Ashland, Pa.; Adda m. Jacob Bausher, of Hamburg; Sarah Alvesta m. John Brison, of Reading; May Rose, late of Reading, is deceased; Myers lived in Hamburg; and Annie m. Fred Robitzer, a common councilman of the First ward, Reading. Mrs. Sarah (Reeser) Jacoby was a daughter of John Christian Reeser, of Greenwich township, who was born Nov. 27, 1792, and died on his farm May 16, 1853, aged sixty years, five months, and nineteen days. He married Sara Unger, born Nov. 16, 1794, and died Feb. 24, 1862, aged sixty-seven years, three months, and eight days. They were farming people and are buried at Lenhartsville. Their children were: Moses, of Allentown; Jacob, a farmer and drover, of Greenwich township; Christian, who lived in Greenwich township; Matilda, m. to Levi Dumn; Sarah, m. to Joseph Jacoby; Mrs. David Hinterleiter, and Mrs. Augustus Hinterleiter, of Allentown, the only one of her father's family still living.

Note from Bonnie Blau:

Additional surname: KREISCHER, Conrad Jacoby is my 5th great-grandfather. He was married to Anna Margaretha Kreischer (not Anna Magdalena Kerchner). Anna Margaretha Kreischer was the daughter of Johan Jost Kreischer (b. 1730, d. 1766 in Windsor Castle, Berks Co.) and Beaty Elisabetha Kreischer (maiden name unknown).


JANSSEN, HENRY K.

p. 371

Surnames: JANSSEN, THUN, RAEKER, BENNER

Henry Karl Janssen, manufacturer of textile machinery at Wyomissing, was born at Barmen, Germany, Feb. 8, 1866, and was educated in the local schools there, attending until 1881. He then learned the trade of a machinist in all its branches, serving the regular apprenticeship of three years. Afterward he followed the customary life of a journeyman mechanic for four years, working in various machine shops in the industrial centers of the Rhine Province, for the purpose of becoming an expert machinist. With this experience he determined to emigrate to America, and in 1888 he went to New York City. He located in Brooklyn, entering the employ of the Castle Braid Company, and after working a while as all-around machinist became, on account of his proficiency, the foreman of the place, and he filled this position until 1892.

In that year he moved to Reading and formed a partnership with Ferdinand Thun, a German friend from Barmen, for manufacturing textile machinery. In the organization of the Textile Machine Works in 1900, Mr. Janssen became its president, and he has filled that position to the present time. He also was one of the incorporators and has served as vice-president of the Berkshire Knitting Mills and the Narrow Fabric Company since their organization, having assisted in establishing all of these industries at Wyomissing. In the building up of Wyomissing, and its erection as a borough in 1906, Mr. Janssen took a very active part, and at the first election of the borough officials he was chosen one of the councilmen. In 1897 he erected a home on a lot of ground adjoining the Textile Works, and this was one of the first dwellings in the borough. It is situated on the corner of Mory avenue and Van Reed road.

In 1890 Mr. Janssen married Minnie Raeker, daughter of Henry Raeker, of Lippspringe, Westphalia, by whom he had four children: Harry, Minnie, Helen and Elsie (who died young). Albert Janssen, father of Henry Karl, was born in 1834, along the lower Rhine on the borders of Holland. He learned the business of a book publisher and upon locating in Barmen when he was twenty-six years old, carried on that business, and continued it until his decease in 1878. He married Helen Benner, daughter of Jacob Benner, of Hesse Nassau, and by her he had six children: Albert and Helen, both of whom died when thirty years old; Henry Karl; Ernest, a dyer in Barmen; Johannes, a wholesale merchant at Barmen, and a member of the city council; and Paul, a provision merchant and hotel proprietor at Offenbach, in Hesse.

Last Modified Thursday, 05-Dec-2013 08:05:06 EST

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.