Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

HUMBERT, DAVID K. (REV)

p. 1226

Surnames: HUMBERT, FETHEROLF, SHOLLENBERGER, KNODERER, DELONG, SCHAEFFER, KITTLING/KIDLING, WAGNER, SAGE, WISE

Rev. David K. Humbert, an aged retired minister of Bowers, Berks county, was born March 9, 1834, in Greenwich township, and lived under the parental roof until he was eight years old. At that tender age he was hired out among the farmers of Greenwich township, and then worked until he was twenty-two years of age. He then clerked in Daniel Fetherolf's store in Albany township for a year, when he obtained employment as currier in a tannery at New Ringgold, Pa., and remained there about eighteen months. After this he spent some months in traveling for his health but as soon as he recovered he began teaching at Klinesville and Fetherolfsville in the upper part of the county, and as he accumulated a little money he continued to study, attending the Freeland seminary for three years.

Upon the outbreak of the Civil war Mr. Humbert was deeply in sympathy with the Union, and Nov. 12, 1862, he was mustered into Co. I, 167th Pa. Inf., Capt. J. M. Shollenberger and Col. C. A. Knoderer, commanding. He was first sergeant of his company and after his term of service expired, Aug. 12, 1863; he re-enlisted and was in service until the close of the war, when the regiment was mustered out at the Rappahannock river. After this he attended the Lutheran theological seminary at Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in June 1867, and he was ordained by the Ministerium at Philadelphia, June 17, 1867. His first charge was the Robeson church (or Plow) at Geigertown, St. John's at Gibraltar, Allegheny and Wyomissing. This charge had a membership of about 700 souls, and he served them for five years. But in 1872 he removed to Bowers to take charge of the DeLong church, with these branches, DeLongs at Bowers, New Jerusalem, Huff's Hill church, St. Paul at Lobachsville and for a time St. Peter in Lehigh county. About 1880 he gave up Hill church and St. Paul, retaining the other charges. DeLong church added many to its membership under his administration, and the other charges also flourished, being in an excellent condition when he retired in 1902, owing to his ill health. Mr. Humbert has a wonderful record. During his pastorate he married 1006 couples. He preached principally in German, although occasionally he gave a sermon in English. He has always been a man of strong convictions, is pleasant in disposition, and possesses in a marked degree the faculty of making friends. His success was marked and he is beloved not only as an eloquent and convincing preacher but also as a kind, true and faithful friend.

Soon after entering the ministry, Mr. Humbert was married to Maria DeLong, daughter of Francis and Esther (Schaefer) DeLong, and they had three children: Essie Catherine, m. to Dr. E. D. Schaeffer, of Reading; Mary Elizabeth, a school teacher of Royersford, Pa.; Anna Susanna, who resides at home.

Mr. Humbert has an old clock that is fully 130 years old. He bought it at a public sale at Bechtelsville many years ago for five dollars, but he would not sell it for many times its original price.

George Humbert, the grandfather of the Rev. David K. Humbert, settled at Kutztown at a very early date. There he followed the trade of a carpenter, and there he is buried. He had three sons: Daniel; Jacob; and George, whose son, also George, is a member of Berks county bar.

Of the above sons, Jacob Humbert became the father of the Rev. David K. Humbert, and he was born in Greenwich township, Oct. 22, 1798, and died at Topton, July 12, 1880, aged eighty-one years, nine months and twenty days. His early life was spent in Greenwich township, where he was a farmer for some years, and he was also a school teacher and chorister at the Grimville church for some time. His school was a paying one, as he had nearly 100 pupils on his books. At this time there were no public schools and the private or pay schools flourished.

After residing in the vicinity of Grimville for about nineteen years, he moved from place to place and finally settled at Topton, where he died, and he is buried at Bowers beside his wife, Catherine Kittling (also spelled Kidling) Humbert. She was born April 5, 1802, and died Dec. 21, 1890, when eighty-eight years, eight months and sixteen days old. They had the following children: William, of Carey, Ohio; Jacob; Daniel, a soldier of the Civil war, who was probably killed during the war, as nothing was heard of him after its close; Charles Henry, who was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg and died in a Philadelphia hospital; Rev. David Kidling; Catherine, m. to Anthony Wagner, of Ohio; Mary, m. to Abner Sage, of Ohio; Amelia, m. to Ephraim Wise of Topton; George Alfred, who died in infancy. Jacob Humbert and family were members of the Lutheran church.


HUMBERT, GEORGE D.

p. 455

Surnames: HUMBERT, BIEHL, NICK, SHERADIN, WANNER, MILLER, CHRIST, WAGNER, WALK, TADDEI, EMES, WEIDENMYER, GARRETO, PENNOCK

George D. Humbert, who stands in the front rank of attorneys at the Berks county Bar, has resided in Reading since 1897. He hails from Kutztown, where he was born Aug. 21, 1871, son of John Humbert, and grandson of George Humbert, of Kutztown.

George Humbert, the grandfather, was a farmer for some years, and later engaged in carpentering at Kutztown, winning considerable fame as a builder of fine barns. He was the owner of considerable real estate, all of which he acquired by his own efforts. He married Susanna Biehl, of Richmond township, and they had three children: Jacob, a school teacher who died in young manhood; Edwin, who died at his home in Kutztown, about 1900; and John.

John Humbert, son of George, was born in Kutztown in 1832, and was reared on a farm in Maxatawny township. As a young man he learned the carpenter's trade, but later began teaching in the public schools, and after some years of experience there became an instructor in the Maxatawny Academy. His next work was as a teacher in Prof. H. R. Nick's Academy, which later developed into the Keystone State Norman School. For many years he was trustee of this school, and was most active in the best interest of the institution having superintended the erection of a number of its large buildings. He successfully conducted a shoe store in Kutztown for eighteen years, and in 1878 sold out to William Sheradin. He then devoted himself to surveying and to his work as justice of the peace, which office he held for twenty-five years. In politics he was a Democrat. For a number of years he was an official in Trinity Lutheran Church. He was a charter member and master of Huguenot Lodge, F. & A. M., of Kutztown. His death occurred May 16, 1896, in his sixty-fourth year.

John Humbert married Elizabeth Wanner, who was a daughter of Jacob Wanner, of Kutztown. The Wanners were an old and honored family of Maxatawny township. Mr. and Mrs. Humbert were the parents of five children, two of whom are deceased. The surviving children are: Lizzie E. (m. U. J. Miller, a traveling salesman at Kutztown); Maggie (m. Allen S. Christ, a stationer of Kutztown); and George D.

George D. Humbert received excellent education advantages, passing from the public schools of Kutztown to the Keystone State Norman School, and graduating from the latter institution in 1889, after which he took a post graduate course for one year. He then taught school, teaching for one year in the grammar school of Kutztown, then one year at the high school, and for four years was principal of the schools of Bath, Northampton county, Pa.

While at the latter place he introduced the course of study and system of grading yet used there with great success.

In 1895 Mr. Humbert became a law student in the office of George W. Wagner, and on Nov. 14, 1898, he was admitted to practice at the Berks county Bar, and he has since been admitted to the Superior and Supreme courts. He has built up an enviable practice and has been interested in some of the hard fought and most prominent criminal and civil cases in the last decade. Among these cases handled by him in a manner that has won him high repute may be mentioned the Commonwealth vs. Antonio Taddei, Sr., in which case he was of counsel for the defense (the defendant was charged with killing three men on Penn street, on the night of July 3, 1901, and was acquitted); the Commonwealth vs. Emes, charged with murder in the first degree, but convicted only for involuntary manslaughter; Weidenmyer vs. Jackson Rope Walk, the plaintiff receiving a verdict of $1,400 for finger torn out; Commonwealth vs. Salvatore Garreto, who was charged with killing a state policeman; and many others. Mr. Humbert's well-appointed officers are at No. 40 Sixth street, Reading. In 1902-03 he was solicitor for the County Alms House, and he has since been a popular candidate for district attorney. He is a prominent and influential Democrat, was chairman of the City Executive Committee, (in 1902), and also a member of the County Standing Committee of the Fifth ward, Reading. In the midst of his busy professional life he has still found time to take an interest in the cause of education, and for a time was an instructor in night school. In 1898 he succeeded his father as a trustee of the Keystone State Norman School, being one of two trustees from Reading, and he is a member of the Finance and Accounts committees.

Mr. Humbert is a member of Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., of Kutztown; Reading Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M.; De Molay Commandery, No. 9 K. T.; Philadelphia Consistory; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; Washing Camp, No. 163, P. O. S. of A.; Court Victory, No. 123, F. of A.; and Lodge No.115, B. P. O. E., of Reading, of which he is Past Exalted Ruler.

On Nov. 14, 1906, Mr. Humbert married Gussie L. Pennock, of Reading, and they now reside at No. 604 North Third street, Reading.


HUMMA, HENRY

p 1010

Surnames: HUMMA, HACHS, REITZ, POTTEIGER, GEHRIS, KORTENHORN, EYRICH, HARNER, HUNTER, BAYLEY, WEST, GALLISETH

Henry Humma, who is now conducting a flourishing grocery business at No. 1123 Walnut street, Reading, was one of the youngest soldiers in the Civil war. He is a native of Reading, born April 9, 1848, son of Theodore and Catherine (Hachs) Humma.

Theodore Humma, a native of Prussia, Germany, came to America in 1842, and from New York City, where he landed, made his way to Reading. Here he foundemployment on the construction of the Lebanon Valley Railroad and was residing in the city at the time of his death, May 2, 1854. To him and his wife, Catherine Hachs, were born these children: Benner, of No. 219 North Tenth street, Reading, is a veteran of the Civil war; Lewis, a member of Company H, 88th Pa. V. I., was killed at the second battle of Bull Run; Henry; Catherine is deceased; John H. lives at Manayunk; Peter is deceased; and Annie is of Philadelphia.

Henry Humma attended the public schools of Reading, after leaving which he learned the baker's trade, which he followed for nine months, and then learned the hatting trade, continuing at that occupation for sixteen years. Mr. Humma was then engaged in the sewing machine business for two years, and on Feb. 2, 1880, he and his wife engaged in the grocery business at No. 1123 Walnut street., where they have been engaged to the present time with much success. They erected their present fine building in 1899, and it is well furnished and stocked with a fine, full line of groceries and notions. Both Mr. and Mrs. Humma are kindly, genial people, and their first-class line of goods has won them a constantly increasing trade.

Mr. Humma married June 15, 1866, Elizabeth Reitz, daughter of Adam Reitz, and to this union have been born children as follows: Catherine m. Clayton Potteiger, and lives on North Eleventh street, Reading; Elizabeth m. John Gehris, and lives at Portsmouth, Va.; Emma m. Edward Kortenhorn, of North Tenth street, Reading; Edward J. S. is driving the delivery wagon for his parents; Henry is employed at the Mt. Penn Stove Works; Helen M. m. Alvin Eyrich, of near Shillington, Cumru township, Berks county; Adam J. S. is employed at the Remppis Iron Works; Bernard H. is assisting in the store; Gertrude V. and Viola M. are both at home; Crisulla, Margaret and Johanna are deceased; one died in infancy, unnamed.

Mr. Humma is a Republican in politics. He belongs to St. Paul's Catholic Church. He joined the Rainbow Fire Company in August 1865, and is a member of the Grocers' Association. On June 26, 1863, Henry Humma enlisted from Berks county, to serve until the end of the emergency, and was mustered into the service of Capt. Samuel Harner's Company B. 42d Reg. Pa. Emergency State Militia, Col. Charles H. Hunter, commanding. This regiment was organized in quick response to Governor Curtin's proclamation calling for a number of regiments of emergency troops to protect the State from possible invasion by the Rebel forces , who, after triumphs at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Va., were threatening the North. The 42d was stationed at Reading, Pa., guarding the city and its approaches during most of its service. The officers and soldiers evinced the highest soldierly qualities, and fully sustained the excellent record our soldiers have ever attained in the field and camp. Henry Humma was honorably discharged Aug. 11, 1863, at Reading, by reason of service no longer required. He re-enlisted Jan. 23, 1864, in Capt. Samuel H. Bayley's Vol. Cav., Col. Robert M. West, commanding, and May 16, 1864, was transferred to Capt. Bardele Galliseth's Company F, of the same regiment, the 5th Cavalry, of the 65th Regiment of the Pennsylvania line, and served chiefly with Kautz's and Wilson's Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac and the James. After his enlistment he took part in the battle of Black Water, Stony Creek Station, Weldon and South Side Railroads, Ream's Station, Deep Bottom, Malvern Hill, Yellow Tavern, Lee's Mills, Jerusalem Plank Road, Mechanicsville, Chapin's Farm, Darbytown Road, Boydton Plank Road, Charles City Cross Roads, the Appomattox Campaign, including Dinwiddie Court House, Five Forks, Gravelly Run, Amelia Court House, Rice's Station, Burke's Station, Appomattox Court House (Lee's surrender), and all of the Virginia and minor engagements, raids, etc. He was at all times with his command, and performed most faithful and meritorious service. While building breastworks and engaged in felling trees in from of the same, he cut his foot severely with an axe, but remained with his command, and was treated by a surgeon in camp. He received his final honorable discharge Aug. 7, 1865, at Richmond, Va., by reason of the close of the war.


HUNSBERGER, CHARLES G.

p. 1325

Surnames: HUNSBERGER, ARMS, BICKEL, ECHER, BROWN, BICKEL, GRUBB, ARMS, STICHTER, SPOHN, ERMENTROUT, SCHWARTZ, BEUTZEL

Charles G. Hunsberger, proprietor of one of the old and well patronized hostelries of Reading, the "Schwartz House," which is located at No. 309 North Eighth street, was born Nov. 18, 1865, at Bloomsburg, Columbia Co., Pa., a son of Henry H. and Lydia (Arms) Hunsberger.

The Hunsberger family is easily traced as far back as the great-grandfather, John Hunsberger, who lived in Franconia Township, Montgomery Co., Pa. By trade he was a weaver. In his later years he moved to Chester county and settled on the farm that is now the property of J. F. Bickel, a son-in-law of Henry Hunsberger. John Hunsberger had the following children: Michael, Samuel m. Mary Echer, had children: Jesse, Samuel, William, John and Mary: and he and his wife Mary, with some of their children are buried in the Mennonite burial ground in East Coventry Township. John, who never married, is buried in the above cemetery. Henry married Sarah Brown, and they and children are buried at Oak Grove, at Parkersford. Henry had six children: Elizabeth, born in 1840, died in 1878, in 1868 m. J. F. Bickel; Annie; John; Adaline, in 1887, m. J. F. Bickel; Amos and Harriet, Dorothy, daughter of John Hunsberger, never married and is buried in the East Coventry graveyard, at the Mennonite meeting house. Catherine, the youngest daughter, m. Moses Grubb. They had no issue and their ashes rest in Oak Grove cemetery, near Parkersford.

Michael Hunsberger, grandfather of Charles G. and Henry A. Hunsberger, was a resident of Montgomery county, and he and wife were interred in the old cemetery adjoining the Mennonite Church, in East Coventry Township. He married Nancy Hunsberger and they had the following children: John, Henry, Catharine, Sophia, Sarah, Mary, Lovina and Lizzie.

Henry H. Hunsberger, father of Charles G., was born in Chester county, Pa., in 1835, and died at Reading in August, 1899, aged sixty-four years. In young manhood he left Chester county and located at Pottstown, Pa., where he kept the "Railroad House" for about ten years. In 1879 he came to Reading and lived on North Eleventh street, and in this city he followed the butchering business, opening the first Chicago Meat market in that section of the city and he built up a large trade in Chicago meat products, and was a man of considerable substance. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity. In religious connection, he belonged to the Episcopal Church. He was buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. He married Lydia Arms, a daughter of Henry Arms, a farmer of Douglass Township, Berks county. The children were three in number, namely Henry Arms, Charles G., and Mary, m. Elton C. Bickel.

Henry Arms Hunsberger, older brother of Charles G., was born Nov. 18, 1863, at Pottstown, Montgomery Co., Pa., where he attended the public school and later learned the nail-making trade. He continued to work at this trade for ten years. In 1881, he came to Reading and became a salesman for A. L. Stichter & Son and continued in their employ until 1886. In the following year he became collector for the Reading Brewing Company and this responsible position he filled for twelve years. Since 1898, Mr. Hunsberger has been salesman and collector for the Continental Brewing Company, of Philadelphia. He is a Mason of the higher degrees, belonging to Lodge No. 435, Reading, De Molay Commandery No. 9, Reading, Reading Chapter, No. 152, and Rajah Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S. With his family he belongs to St. Barnabas Episcopal Church at Reading. He is a man of really commanding appearance, and his business relations are those of a man of repute. On. Feb. 11, 1892, he was married to Rosa L. Spohn, a daughter of Daniel Spohn of Reading and they have one daughter, Emily, who is the wife of George J. Ermentrout, an electrician at Reading. Mr. Hunsberger resides in his fine stone residence at No. 1501 Perkiomen avenue.

Charles G. Hunsberger was reared to farm pursuits. He was sixteen years of age when his parents moved to Pottstown, where he worked for three years for the Pottstown Iron Company. In 1884, he came to Reading, where he first became a clerk at the "Keystone House," where he remained until 1892, when he went into business for himself, engaging in hotel keeping for seven years at Tenth and Oley streets. In April 1899, he succeeded the well-known host, George Schwartz who conducted the "Schwartz House," which was known as the "Rural Retreat," the headquarters of the railroaders, during their strike in 1877. Mr. Hunsberger is enjoying a prosperous business and is a popular resident of his section of the city. In politics, he is an Independent Democrat. He is a member and supporter of the Lutheran Church.

On April 25, 1886, Mr. Hunsberger was married to Emma D. Schwartz, a daughter of the late George and Rosina (Beutzel) Schwartz, both natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Hunsberger have two children, Laura M. and Mary S.


HUNSICKER, B. F.

p. 1023

Surnames: HUNSICKER, ELY, MOORE, BYERLE, RICHWEIN, ESCHELMAN, BRENEISER

B. F. Hunsicker, who is prominently connected with the iron manufacturing industry of Reading, Pa., as chief bookkeeper of the Scott foundry, was born Dec. 8, 1858, in Lebanon, Lebanon Co., Pa., son of David and Loving (Ely) Hunsicker.

David Hunsicker, who was a carpenter by occupation, located in Reading in 1870, where he engaged at his trade until his death in 1885, at the age of sixty-five years. He married Lovina Ely, who died in 1894, at the age of seventy years, and to them there were born five children, as follows: Clara S. m. George W. Moore, of Philadelphia, Pa.; John E., is of Los Angeles, Cal.; B. F., resides at Reading; Emma L. m. John F. Byerle, a jeweler of Reading; and William H. is deceased. In religious matters the family are connected with the Reformed Church. Mr. Hunsicker was a stanch Republican in politics, and during the Civil war he served as a carpenter in the Union army from 1861 to 1865, engaged in building pontoon bridges. He also assisted to erect the arch at Washington, D.C., under which the Lincoln funeral procession passed.

B. F. Hunsicker was educated in the public schools of Reading, after leaving which he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway, being with that company from 1874 until 1888, and with the Pennsylvania Bolt & Nut Company, for two years. In 1890 he engaged with the Reading Iron Company, as bookkeeper, and was later appointed chief bookkeeper of the Scott works, now having an office force of five assistants. Mr. Hunsicker is fraternally connected with the P. O. S. of A., the K. G. E., Reading Lodge, No. 115, B. P. O. E., and the K. O. T. M. He and his family are connected with the Second Reformed Church. A stanch Republican in politics, Mr. Hunsicker has been active in the ranks of his party, serving as a member of the council from the Ninth ward in 1887 and 1888, and as a member of the school board eight years, six years of which he was president of the board, a position to which he was re-elected five times without opposition.

In 1884 Mr. Hunsicker married Lydia Richwein, born in Reading, daughter of Joseph and Matilda (Eschelman) Richwein, and one child has blessed this union: Eda L., a graduate of the Reading high school, class of 1903, who is now the wife of Amos P. Breneiser.


HUNSICKER, JACOB P.

p. 1114

Surnames: HUNSICKER, FAILOR, HOFFMAN, NOLL, FRANTZ, LONG, SWANGER, YEAGER, HACKER, RAUCH, ZELLER

Jacob P. Hunsicker, blacksmith and coachmaker at Stouchsburg, Berks county, and one of the substantial citizens at that place, is a native of Lebanon county, born at Myerstown, March 14, 1874, son of Elias and Elizabeth (Failor) Hunsicker.

The early home of the Hunsickers was in Switzerland. Christian Hunsicker, the great grandfather of Jacob P., was born in Fredericksburg, in Bethel township, Lebanon county, and it is thought he served in the war of the Revolution. He made his home at Hamlin, Lebanon county. Among his children were: Elizabeth, who married Michael Hoffman, and had ten children; Philip; and Jacob, born in 1804, who died in 1864.

Philip Hunsicker, son of Christian, was born in Bethel township, Lebanon county, in 1787, and died there in 1871; he was buried at Klopp's Church, of which he was a member. By trade he was a carpenter, and he owned a tract of sixty acres. He married Mary Ann Noll, who died in middle age, and they had eleven children, namely: Polly, Jonathan, Catharine, Betsy, Daniel, William, John, Caroline, Sybilla, Elias and Henry.

Elias Hunsicker, son of Philip, was born in Bethel township, Berks county, Dec. 4, 1836. He grew to maturity there, and in his young manhood learned tanning from Elias Frantz, who had opened a tannery. From 1841 to 1848 he followed that business, and then went to Indiana, where for a short time he worked at carpentering. Returning to Pennsylvania he engaged at coachmaking in Berks county, and then returned to Myerstown once more to follow the tanner's trade. In 1864 he married Elizabeth Failor, born Sept. 22, 1842, daughter of Godlieb and Mary (Long) Failor, of Lebanon county.

She died Oct. 28, 1898. Their children were: Mary Ann, who married Joseph Swanger, of Myerstown; Franey, wife of Milton Yeager, of Millardsville; Frank, of Womelsdorf; Jacob P.; Harry, of Millardsville; Sallie, who married William Swanger, of Myerstown; Adam, of Harrisburg; and Samuel W., a horseshoer who is employed by his brother Jacob at Stouchsburg.

Jacob P. Hunsicker, son of Elias, attended the common school at West Myerstown until fourteen years of age, and then for about three years worked at Loos' tannery, in his home town. He next went to Stouchsburg, and learned blacksmithing and coachmaking with John B. Hacker. At the end of three years he went to Boyertown, where he worked in Hartman & Strunk's coach works for a short time. The following year he spent at Lititz, Lancaster county, and at its close he returned to Myerstown and assisted in the establishment of the water company. He and his brother Harry formed a partnership, and conducted a blacksmith shop at Prescott, but after one year Jacob P. went to Millardsville, where he conducted a smithy for five years. In 1900 he located at Stouchsburg, having the preceding year purchased the property where he now lives. There is about an acre of ground, and he has a good business, employing two to four people all the while. He carries on a general blacksmith business, and does all kinds of wheelwright work.

In 1898 Mr. Hunsicker married Lillie Rauch, daughter of William and Sophia (Zeller) Rauch, of Jackson township, Lebanon county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hunsicker have been born three children, namely: Edna S., Jacob W. and May E. They attend the Reformed Church at Myerstown. Mr. Hunsicker is a member of Washington Camp, No. 137, P. O. S. of A. He was elected and served as judge of election in Marion township in 1908.


HUNTER, MARTIN DETURCK

p. 885

Surnames: HUNTER, DeTURCK /DeTURK, IAGER, KEMP, LEVAN, HECHLER, MANWILLER, KRAEMER, GREBE, LUTZ, HILL, BREIDEGAM

Among the representative citizens and prominent business men of Lower Alsace township, Berks county, probably none is better known than Martin DeTurck Hunter, of Stony Creek Mills, who has been closely identified with the public, business and social interests of this section since attaining his majority. Mr. Hunter was born Sept. 30, 1867, in Oley township, son of Daniel Kemp and Esther Ann (DeTurck) Hunter.

The Hunter family, which is one of the oldest in Oley township, was founded by Nicholas and Anthony Iager, brothers, whose name was later changed by legislation to Hunter. They emigrated in 1738, from the Palatinate, on the Rhine, and Martin D. Hunter is descended from both, Nicholas being the ancestor of his grandfather, Daniel V. R. Hunter, and Anthony the ancestor of his grandmother, Mary Hunter, born Kemp, who was a grandfather of Daniel Hunter, a colonel in the Revolutionary army. Col. Daniel Hunter was the only son of Anthony Hunter. DeWalt Kemp, the progenitor of this branch of the Kemp family, emigrated from Germany about 1720.

Isaac DeTurck, or as then known, DeTurk, who was one of the first to take out land patents in Oley township, emigrated to Dutchess county, N. Y., in 1709, also coming from the Rhine. He settled in Oley township in 1711, and was the progenitor of the DeTurck family in this section of the State. He was a descendant of the French Huguenots. Martin Yoder DeTurck, grandfather of Martin D. Hunter, after whom he was named, was a great-great-grandson of Isaac DeTurck, and was married to Rachel Levan, a descendant of Abraham LeVan, who was born in 1698, and was one of the early settlers of Oley township, being also a descendant of the Huguenots. Martin D. Hunter has one brother and two sisters: Dr. Allen D. Hunter, of Savanna, Ill., and Mrs. Annie D. Hechler and Mrs. Mary D. Manwiller, of Stony Creek Mills.

Martin D. Hunter was educated in the public schools of Oley township and the Oley Academy, and lived on the farm until sixteen years of age, at which time, ambitious to enter into some business, he left Oley and moved to Stony Creek Mills, where he accepted a position with Louis Kraemer & Co., this place having been his home ever since. He worked his way up from position to position, becoming shipping clerk, and later bookkeeper, and in 1893 he was admitted into the firm, being now associated with Louis F. Kraemer and Louis F. Grebe, the business still trading under the name of Louis Kraemer & Co. They are engaged in manufacturing woolens and cut up their product into ready-made garments. Mr. Hunter was one of the incorporators of the Stony Creek Mills Building and Loan Association, and was secretary thereof from the time of its organization to its successful termination in 1903. In that year the present Stony Creek Mills Building Association was organized, and he was again elected secretary of the enterprise, a position which he still holds. He was assistant postmaster for a number of years, and in 1900 was appointed postmaster of Stony Creek Mills, succeeding Louis F. Kraemer, who resigned. He still holds this important office and in 1906 established a rural delivery route which has been successful, and is appreciated by all the patrons of the office. Mr. Hunter was one of the incorporators, and is now secretary and treasurer of the Mt. Penn Suburban Water Company, which has several miles of mains supplying Mt. Penn, Stony Creek Mills and Black Bear. He is president of the W. A. Lutz & Co., Inc., Shippensburg, manufacturers of clothing, and for years has been a member of the board of managers of the Mutual Fire Insurance Co., of Berks county. He is a trustee of the Bethany Sunday school, and was a member of the building committee when the chapel was built, and it was due to his influence that the chapel was erected on the site on which it now stands. Mr. Hunter is very fond of travel, and has visited all of the West Indies with the exception of Haiti and San Domingo; and has been to British Guiana and the Republic of Colombia, South America, and Cost Rica, Central America.

In 1890 Mr. Hunter was married to Sarah B. Hill, daughter of John Y. and Angelina (Breidegam) Hill, and a member of one of Oley township's old and honored families. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hunter: Edna M., Louis H. and Ellis D.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:42 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.