Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

HOYER FAMILY

p. 1410

Surnames: HOYER, HYER, HEYER, MCNEAL, BRIDENSTEIN, HAWS, STANLEY, HOUCK, SNYDER, SCULL, LLOYD, ADAMS, RUFFNER, KILLIAN, WINNINGS, HOLLOWAY, WILKINSON, WOMSHER, MILLER, SEYFRIT, GEIGER, WELLS, SCHAEFFER, FRY, KURTZ, KRAMER, SPATZ, LONENECKER, GABLE, KOCH, MATZ, KUTZ, DUNKLE, ALTHOUSE, WESTLEY, SEIFRIT, LEWIS, BECHTEL, MARKS, MCMICHAEL, HOCH, ROTHERMEL.

The early home of the Hoyer (or as the name was then spelled ? Hyer and Heyer) family was in Germany, whence in Revolutionary times there emigrated to this country three brothers, (I) Adam, (Ia) John and one whose name was probably George who in 1780 owned land in York county, Pennsylvania.

(I) Adam Hoyer early became a man of some property, and in 1780 was assessed two pounds, and is of record as owning a cow. His location is given as Maiden-creek township, Berks county. In 1808 he purchased land, and the record of the deed may be found in Deed Book, No. 22, page 485. He was a tailor by trade. His children were: Elizabeth McNeal; Daniel; and Jacob, who died in 1834, leaving three sons, Jacob John and Daniel, the latter one of the executors of his father's will.

(II) Daniel Hoyer, son of Adam, was born March 23, 1775, and he died May 3, 1848, and was buried at Allegheny Church in Brecknock township. The greater part of his life was passed in Birdsboro, Pa., where he followed his trade of shoemaker and cobbler. At one time he served as constable in Reading, of which city he was a resident for some years. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. By his wife, Katharine Bridenstein, he became the father of the following children: Charles, whose children were ? Aaron, Harrison, Leah, Hannah, Harriet, Mary, Susan, Daniel, Charles and William; Daniel (1802-1839), who had a daughter ? Mary Ann (m. to a Haws); Adam of Birdsboro, who had two children ? Adam and Isaiah W.; Isaac, of Birdsboro, who had children ? Elhannon, Joshua, Isaac, Sarah (Stanley), Tamson and Hannah Cover; Benjamin: Samuel, who died single; Hannah, who m. Aaron Houck; Mary, who m. a Snyder, and had a daughter, Kathrine (m. to a Scull); Annie, who m. a Lloyd, and had two children, Sarah and Isaac; and Kathrine, who m. an Adams, and had two children, Alva and Ferdinando.

(III) Benjamin Hoyer, son of Daniel, was born in Robeson township, Berks county, and he died March 4, 1848, and was buried in St. John's cemetery, below Gibraltar, in the vicinity of which town the years of his life had been passed. In his early days he worked upon the farm, but later became a boatman on the Union Canal. When he became twenty he entered the ranks of the teacher's profession, and for many terms was successfully engaged as a teacher in the public schools. He was a good singer, and was a singing master, holding singing schools in schoolhouses or private homes in the evenings, and was a very popular and highly respected man. He married Susanna Ruffner, of Brecknock township, who was born in 1802, and who died March 29, 1883, and was laid to rest beside her parents in St. John's cemetery. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom two daughters died young, the other being: Edward, Amos, Hannah, Reuben (1833-1904), Henry, Samuel, Harriet, Sarah and Rebecca.

(IV) Henry Hoyer, son of Benjamin, and now a venerable esteemed citizen of Reading, was born in Cumru township, near Yocum's Forge, Dec. 27, 1836. He obtained a limited education in the public school, known as Westley school in the Morgantown road in Robeson township, but the early death of his father necessitated his devoting his time to the farm. He worked on the home farm, and as a hired man to the neighboring farmers until he was eighteen, and then became a mule driver on the Schuylkill towpath, this engrossing his attention for four summers. Later he became a boatman, and followed that calling for twenty-seven seasons, running a boat for many years for the Schuylkill Navigation Company, and later for the Reading Railroad Company. During the earlier years that he followed boating he lived at Gibraltar, but in 1862 he moved to Reading, and there he has since made home. When he gave up his work on the canal he worked at the blast furnace for eleven years, and then for three years was employed at the pipe mill. On Aug. 20, 1892, he entered the service of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, at Reading, as an agent, and he has since worked for this company. During the first twelve years he did not lose by sickness or other cause over one week's time, but in the fall of 1906 he fell upon the pavement, and this disabled him for several weeks. Three times he had been offered the assistant superintendency, but he has steadfastly refused to accept it. When he entered the company's service in 1892, they had twenty-seven agents and four assistants. At the present time they employ forty-six agents, and six assistants. Mr. Hoyer built up a $300 debit in industrial business, besides writing a large amount of ordinary insurance. He has had the honor of leading the agents in Reading for six consecutive years, and for three years was second best, while as late as 1905 he was third best man in the office. He won a number of medals and pins, as well as service badges and other mementos from the company for efficient and faithful service.

Mr. Hoyer is a member of the First Christian Church, while Mrs. Hoyer belongs to the Evangelical faith. He owns a residence at No. 630 Birch street, and for many years lived in the Tenth ward, but since 1893 he has lived north of Penn Street.

My Hoyer has been married three times. His first wife, Mary Killian, died in 1869, the mother of two sons: John Lincoln, of Seyfert, Pa.; and Millard, who was accidentally shot while out hunting, when he was but sixteen year of age; Mr. Hoyer m. (second) Emily Winnings, who died in 1889, the age of forty-four years. No children were born of this union. In 1891 Mr. Hoyer m. (third) Mrs. Annie E. (Holloway) Wilkinson, widow of John H. Wilkinson, and they have one daughter, Elsie K. Mrs. Hoyer's parents are William A. and Mary (Womsher) Holloway, of Amityville, the former a tailor by trade. Their three children are: Douglas, Annie E., and Clara.

(Ia) John Hoyer, one of the three emigrant brothers, died near Reading, and was buried at the First Reformed Church burying ground on North Sixth street, his remains afterward being removed with others from the same cemetery, to the Charles Evans cemetery. His children were: John, a resident of Reading, where he died the father of two sons ? Mahlon and Aaron, the latter of Iowa; Peter, who lived in Spring township: Daniel, who died at Poplar Neck Bridge, where he was toll-keeper, leaving no children; Samuel; Jacob; Hannah; and Mrs. Henry Miller.

(IIa) Samuel Hoyer, son of John the emigrant and father of the Hon. Joseph S. and John, was born in Berks county, April 2, 1796, and he died in Robeson township, May 15, 1849, at the age of fifty-three years, one month, thirteen days. He was a stonemason by trade, and followed this calling until he began farming. He owned 100 acres of land in Robeson township, near the White Bear, at the old Quaker Meeting House ? one of the old landmarks. He continued work at his trade at times until within fifteen years of his death. He married Susanna, daughter of Jacob Seyfrit, who died at the age of sixty-three years, and was buried beside her husband in the churchyard of the Robeson, generally known as Plough Church. Samuel Hoyer in politics was a democrat. His children were: Joseph S.; Elizabeth m. James Geiger; Susanna m. Henry Miller; John; Hannah m. Elisha Wells; Samuel died aged sixteen years; Sarah m. George Schaeffer; Isaac S., of Robeson township m. Mary Fry and had two sons and two daughters ? Sallie (m. to Jacob Kurtz), Hannah (m. to John Spatz), John F. (m. to Katie Kramer) and one son died in infancy; and Isaiah. (IIIa) Joseph S. Hoyer, son of Samuel and Susanna, was born in Robeson township, Sept. 10, 1817, and was educated at Myerstown, Lebanon county, and then taught school for a number of years in addition to his duties as a farmer. Removing to Reading in 1857 or 1858 he there conducted a general store for some time, and was a very active and public-spirited citizen, holding a number of offices of public trust, and discharging his duties with a fidelity that won for him the esteem of all men. From 1863 to 1865 he was mayor of Reading, and afterward for a number of years served as clerk in the prothonotary's office of this county. He died in Reading June 16, 1880. He married Sarah Longenecker of Myerstown, and they had seven children, of whom two sons and one daughter died in childhood, those surviving to mature years being: Thaddeus A., George, Edward and Clara, the latter dying in 1876, at the age of sixteen years.

(IVa) Thaddeus A. Hoyer, son of Joseph S., was born in Reading Oct. 11, 1850. As a young man he clerked in his father's grocery store, which was located at the corner of Eighth and Washington streets. For several years then he was a clerk in various attorneys' offices, and in 1866 he learned the barber's trade from Amos Gable, of Reading, who then conducted a shop at the corner of Sixth and Penn streets. He was also a painter of portraits, and his brush gained him no little fame. Since 1868 Mr. Hoyer has had his place of business at No. 5 North Seventh street. In politics he is a Democrat, and for four years he represented the Eighth ward on the school board. He is a member of Mystic Star Commandery, No. 47, and for a number of years served as its recorder; and of Mt. Penn Castle, No. 51, K. G. E. He and his family are members of the First Reformed Church. In October 1876, Mr. Hoyer was married to Emma Koch, daughter of Samuel Koch, of Reading, and they have had five children: Catharine, wife of Charles E. Matz; Anna, who married Jay Kutz; Florence; and William and Joseph, who both died in childhood.

(IIIa) John Hoyer, son of Samuel and Susanna, born in Robeson township, in 1824, died at his home in Reading, No. 140 North Eighth street, July 9, 1896, in the seventy-third year of his age. In his early life he learned the blacksmith's trade as well as the carpenter's trade, and these he followed for some years in Reading. He was a tipstaff at the courthouse for many years, and he was well and favorably known to the judges and officials. For a long time he was tax collector in his ward, and he was an active worker in the Democratic party. He and his family were active members of the First Reformed Church, of Reading, and he was long an official in both church and Sunday school. The children all called him "Uncle John." He sang in the choir of the First Reformed Church until the time of his death, and he retained the sweetness of tone that had marked the singing of his earlier years to the very last. He is buried in Aulenbach cemetery. His wife, Mary A. Dunkle, died Oct. 30, 1896, when she was ages sixty-five years, three deaths having occurred in this family within the one year, the first being the daughter, Geneva L., who passed away Jan. 3, 1896, age thirty years; she had been a school teacher in Reading for about twelve years. The only living member of the family is Miss Helen A., a refined and respected lady, interested in church, Sunday school and philanthropic work, who resided at No. 140 North Eighth street. Mrs. Mary A. (Dunkle) Hoyer was a daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth (Althouse) Dunkle, farming people of Maiden-Creek township, and an early settled family in that section.

(IIIa) Isaiah Hoyer, son of Samuel and Susanna, was born Sept. 16, 1839, in Robeson township. The public schools afforded him a good common school education, and on leaving school he learned the carpenter's trade. In the spring of 1866 he came to Reading, and worked continuously at his trade until 1884, and then embarked in a grocery business which he carried on for over eleven years, the first five being located at the corner of Eleventh and Chestnut streets, and the remainder of the time at Ninth and Elm streets. After closing out his grocery interests he resumed work at his trade, until he was appointed tax collector of the Ninth and Eleventh wards, and he served as such during 1904-05-06. He represented the Tenth ward in the common council in 1879-80. He is at present living retired.

Mr. Hoyer was married (first) to Elizabeth Westley, who died in 1868, leaving three children: William W., deceased, m. Mary A. Lewis, and had one son Howard Ellsworth (m. Bertha Seifrit, and has a son William); Susan m. James D. Bechtel; and Samuel M. m. Louisa Marks. Mr. Hoyer m. (second) Kate R. Schaeffer, who died Oct. 1, 1900, leaving one daughter, Emma, now the widow of Alfred McMichael of Reading. He m. (third) Susan Hoch, daughter of Benneville and Susan (Rothermel) Hoch, and they reside in a pleasant home at No. 1030 Oley street.

In November 1864, Mr. Hoyer joined Reading Lodge, No. 348, I. O. O. F., and in 1884 withdrew and helped to organize Vigilance Lodge No. 194, I. O. O. F., and is now a veteran belonging also to Reading Encampment, No. 43, I. O. O. F., and Esther Rebekah Lodge No. 4, I. O. O. F., and is a member of the Grand Lodge and Grand Encampment, being past grand and past chief patriarch. He was admitted to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, I. O. O. F., in 1895. In 1868 he joined Friendship Lodge, No. 5, K. P. of which he is past chancellor; and he is a past president of Camp No. 552, P. O. S. of A. He is a member of Grace Lutheran Church, and during the erection of the present fine edifice in 1888 was foreman of the building committee. Mrs. Hoyer is active in the work of the Evangelical Association. My Hower is a Democrat, and is a well-known and highly respected citizen.


HOYER, ISAAC S.

p. 971

Surnames: HOYER, SEIFERT, GREENEWALT, MONYON, GEIGER, MILLER, WELLS, SCHAEFFER, FRY, KURTZ, SPATZ, KRAEMER

Isaac S. Hoyer, a successful farmer of Robeson township, Berks county, cultivating an excellent property of eighty acres, was born April 22, 1835, in Robeson township, son of Samuel and Susan (Seifert) Hoyer.

John Hoyer, grandfather of Isaac S., was a native of Berks county, and practically all of his life was spent in wagoning between Philadelphia and Pittsburg. He married Elizabeth Greenewalt, and they were the parents of these children: Peter, George, John, Samuel, and Susan (m. a Monyon). In religious belief the family were Reformed. Mr. Hoyer was a Democrat in politics.

Samuel Hoyer was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and at an early age engaged in farming near his old Quaker Meeting-house, where he continued all of his life, dying in 1849, at the age of fifty-three years. He married Susan Seifert, who died in 1860, when sixty-one years old, and they became the parents of these children: Joseph; John; Samuel; Isaac S.; Isaiah; Elizabeth (m. James Geiger); Susan (m. Henry Miller); Hannah (m. Elisha Wells); and Sarah (m. George Schaeffer). The family was Reformed in religious belief, and Mr. Hoyer was a stanch Democrat in politics.

Isaac S. Hoyer received his early educational training in the schools of his native locality, learned the blacksmiths trade, and later became a helper in the Seyfert-McIIwaine rolling mills at Gibraltar. In 1858 he commenced farming near the Quaker Meeting-house, but in 1867 he took charge of the "Beckerville Hotel," where for six years he served as postmaster. In 1873 Mr. Hoyer purchased his present farm, known as the Daniel Fry property, a tract of eighty acres, and here he has been very successful, his land being one of the valuable farms of the township. He has good substantial buildings and modern farm implements, and keeps a dairy of seven cows. In the winter of 1858-1859, Mr. Hoyer was married to Mary Fry, daughter of John Fry, and four children were born to this union, namely: Sarah E., m. to Jacob Kurtz; Hannah M., m. to John Spatz; John F., m. to Katie Kraemer; and Isaac N., who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hoyer are members of the Lutheran church. In politics his is a Democrat, and he has held several township offices.


HOYER, WILLIAM

p 1093

Surnames: HOYER, RUFFNER, BICKLEY, WESTLEY, THOMAS, SEIDEL.

William Hoyer, line foreman for the United Traction Company at Reading, was born April 26, 1862, in Cumru township, son of Reuben and grandson of Benjamin Hoyer.

Benjamin Hoyer, made his home in Robeson township, Berks county. For many years he taught school, chiefly in Exeter township, but his death occurred at his home in Robeson. His wife was a Ruffner, and they had children as follows: Samuel, Henry, Edward, Reuben, Harriet, Hannah and Rebecca.

Reuben Hoyer, son of Benjamin, was born in Robeson Township, and for twenty-five years he was engaged in boating on the Schuylkill canal for Charles Bickley. For a while he was in the employ of the Reading Hardware Company, and for sixteen years was in charge of the stables of the South Reading Market, his long term of service being convincing proof of his fidelity to duty. He died in November, 1904, aged sixty-seven years and was buried at Yocom's Church in Cumru township. He married Mary Westley, daughter of Daniel Westley, and their children were: William, Catharine, Samuel, Ida, Milton, Tillie, Edith, Annie, Sarah and Charles.

William Hoyer attended the public schools in Cumru township. His first work after completing his education was the care of horses for private parties, and this he continued for four years. He then entered the employ of J. O. Thomas in the grocery business, and with him continued for three years. On March 4, 1888, he became an employee of the Reading City Passenger Company, driving a house car for one year, and acting as conductor five years. Then for one year he drove the trolley repair wagon, after which he was made assistant lineman, and at the end of four years chief lineman. He has charge of 127 miles of wire, and has proved a most efficient workman.

On Dec. 25, 1881, Mr. Hoyer married Catharine Seidel, daughter of Frederick Seidel, and of their eight children, three are living, namely: Lawrence, Harry and Mamie. William, a promising your man, died May 16, 1909, aged twenty-three years, and is buried at Yocom's church. Mr. and Mrs. Hoyer are Lutheran members of Christ's (Yocom's) Union Church in Cumru township. Mr. Hoyer is a Republican in politics. He and his family reside in their own home at No. 1623 North Tenth street, Reading.


HUBER, CHARLES M.

p. 1670

Surnames: HUBER, MUTHART, HOOVER, BOLTON, LEESER, DEPPEN, LEININGER GRUBER, KUNKELMAN

Charles M. Huber, justice of the peace of Wyomissing, Pa., and a popular and influential citizen of the borough, was born June 1, 1874, at Niantic, Montgomery county, Pa., son of John B. and Leah (Muthart) Huber.

Henry Huber, grandfather of Charles M., was a lifelong farmer of Niantic, Montgomery county, where he owned a tract of 100 acres, on which he erected the old Huber (Hoover) homestead. He married Mary Bolton, of Montgomery county, and they had these children: David; Jacob; Henry; John; Amanda; Mary and Elizabeth.

John B. Huber, father of Charles M., was born at Niantic, in October, 1850, and is now a resident of Sheridan, Pa., having been a lifelong farmer. He married Leah Muthart, daughter of Jonas and Mary (Leeser) Muthart, and they have had twelve children: Charles M.., Mary, m. Charles Deppen, of Robesonia; Edgar, who lives at Durlach, Lancaster county; Henry, who lives at Schaefferstown; James, of West Reading; Jonas and Annie, deceased; and Eva, Emma, John,George and Elwood, single at home.

Charles M. Huber attended the township schools until seventeen years of age, having come to Berks county with his parents when ten years old, and later went to the Keystone State Normal school at Kutztown for three spring terms. He left this institution when a member of the senior class and taught school three terms in Lower Heidelberg township, beginning in the fall of 1892. He gave up his profession to engage in telegraphy, which he had learned under the instruction of Operator Samuel G. Leininger of Sheridan, Pa., and became an operator for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, in whose employ he continued for some time. For four years he followed the trade of machinist, and in 1903 was promoted to draughtsman; he has been engaged as such since having been in the employ of the Textile Machine Works since 1900, at Wyomissing.

In politics Mr. Huber is a Democrat. He was elected to the office of justice of the peace in February, 1907, and in addition is secretary of the borough council, and secretary of the Civic League. He is president of Wyomissing Fire Company No. 1, which he was instrumental in organizing, and a member of Bohemond Commandery No. 277, Knights of Malta, of Reading. He and his family are members of the West Reading St. James' Reformed Church, and are also connected with the Sunday school.

On December 28, 1898, Mr. Huber married Miss Nellie Gruber, of Stouchsburg, who died Oct. 9, 1901, aged twenty-six years, leaving one daughter: Nelly May. Mr. Huber's second marriage was to Miss Lizzie Kunkelman, daughter of Elias Kunkelman of West Reading, and to this union there have been born three children: Paul, Minerva and Marion.


HUBER, HENRY

p. 743

Surnames: HUBER, EBEN, GROUPER, HAGGERTY, GERBER, HONEKER

Henry Huber, a resident of Reading since his first coming to this country in 1869, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany in 1841.

Frederick Huber, father of Henry, lived and died in Germany. He was a stone cutter by trade, and brought up several of his sons to the same occupation. He and his wife had a large family of children, fifteen of them reaching maturity, namely: Lizzie; Frederick, of New Jersey; Augustus, of Paris, France; Henry; Mary, deceased; Gustave, at the old home on Germany; Hermann, of Germany; Gottlieb, William and Charles, of St. Louis, Mo., the latter now deceased; Fredericka, at the old home; Minnie, of Lepsic, Saxony; John, of Paris; Ernst, in the stone business at the old home; and Theodore, an engineer in Germany. Three other children died in infancy.

Henry Huber learned stone-cutting from his father, and worked under him until he was twenty-eight years old. He then decided to make a new start in a new country, and in 1869 he landed at New York. He proceeded immediately to Philadelphia and secured work there at this trade, but after only two weeks left that city for Reading and has ever since made his home there. He found employment readily and remained for thirty-four years with his original employer, Christian Eben, and with the sons who succeeded him. Finally, in 1903, after his long period of faithful and efficient labor, Mr. Huber gave up his place and left home to revisit the scenes of his youth. He spent nearly four months abroad, and then, on returning to America, went into business on his own account, getting out stone for building purposes, mainly sand stone. Mr. Huber is in partnership with Andrew Honeker, and the firm is located on Locust street, between Elm and buttonwood, where they do a large business and bid fair to become one of the leading industrial concerns of the city.

Mr. Huber married Miss Pauline Grouper, and three children have been born to them, as follows: Emma, who married Edward C. Haggerty, a sergeant of the Reading police, appointed by Mayor Gerber; Harry; and William. Politically Mr. Huber is a Democrat, and in religious matters a Lutheran, a member of the Reading church. During his long period of service under another, Mr. Huber fully demonstrated the many sterling qualities of his character, and he well deserves the success that is so abundantly rewarding his efforts now that he is in business for himself.


HUBLEY, EDWARD B.

p. 334

Surnames: HUBLEY, PORTER, SPAYD

Edward B. Hubley was born at Reading in 1792, son of Joseph Hubley, a practicing attorney of the Berks county Bar. He studied law with his father and was admitted to the Bar April 5, 1820. After practicing at Reading for a while he moved to Orwigsburg, then the county-seat of Schuylkill county, and there continued his profession for a number of years. He represented that district in Congress for two terms, from 1835 to 1839. He held the appointment of canal commissioner of this State for several years, under Gov. David R. Porter, and acted as a commissioner of Indian affairs under president Polk. In all these positions he discharged his duties with ability and fidelity. About 1848 he returned to Reading and continued to reside here for eighty years; he then removed to Philadelphia, and died there shortly afterward, Feb. 23, 1856, aged sixty-four years. He married Catharine Spayd, eldest daughter of Judge Spayd.


HUESMAN, HENRY J.

p 1038

Surnames: HUESMAN, COOK, KEFFER, HOUSER, LENOX, RICKERT

Henry J. Huesman has established himself as one of the leading florists of Reading. His large greenhouses are at the corner of Schuylkill avenue and Greenwich street, and he also owns the Brookside Cut Flower Store, which is under the management of his son.

Mr. Huesman was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1844, but he has passed practically all his life in Reading, his parents, Joseph and Lena (Cook) Huesman, having moved hither in 1845. Both the parents were natives of Germany, coming to America while young. Joseph Huesman was a shoemaker by trade, and he had a thriving business in New York City. When he settled in Reading he purchased property in the vicinity of the Hampden reservoir, but he died soon after his removal to this city. He was the father of the following named children: Ida, widow of Hillary Keffer, now living in New York; Henry J.; George and Louisa, deceased. The family were all of the Catholic faith.

Henry J. Huesman was educated in the Reading public schools, but his father having died when he was a young child he did not have many early advantages. However, he did have the benefit of excellent practical training. He was only ten years old when he began work in the line which he has since continued to follow, and in which he was met with such substantial success. His first employer was Michael Houser, who was located in Ninth street, and with whom he remained for the unusually long period of twenty-two years-in fact until he felt able to commence business on his own account. In 1887 he settled at the location on Schuylkill avenue where he has ever since had his business headquarters, and where he now has a plant which for completeness and quality of equipment will compare with any up-to-date hothouse in Pennsylvania. He has facilities for raising 100,000 plants, having over 20,000 feet of glass, and makes a specialty of house and bedding plants, also doing a large business in cut flowers, particularly for weddings, funerals and decorative purposes. For the special accommodation of this branch of the business he conducts the Brookside Cut Flower Store, at No. 104 South Fifth street, his son , Harry C. Huesman, being in charge there. Mr. Huesman includes in his business all the branches of floriculture usually carried on by modern florists, for he is enterprising in keeping abreast of the times, and indefatigable in investigating new methods which promise better results. Mr. Huesman has been successful solely because he has devoted himself industriously to his work and pursued a most commendable course. His establishment has been developed to its present large proportions gradually, all his business operations being conducted upon a sound basis. He has acquired and held an extensive custom by giving honest service to his patrons, and he is highly respected for his substantial worth and the honorable career he has led.

Mr. Huesman married Elizabeth Lenox, who was born in Philadelphia, Pa., and they have had two children, Harry C. (m. to Mary Rickert) and Mary. The Huesmans are members of the Catholic Church, and in politics Mr. Huesman is a Democrat. He is not active, however, in party affairs, devoting himself solely to the business in which he has found his life work.


HULL, CHARLES BARTON

p. 971

Surnames: HULL, CONNELL, SHAPPELL, HEFFNER YOCOM, LAMBERT, YOH, CLAUSER, WINTERS, HIESTAND

Charles Barton Hull, the leading general merchant at Sinking Spring, was born in Pennville, Lancaster county, Sept. 2, 1867, son of Hiram R. and Margaret (Connell) Hull. When he was three years old his parents removed to Sinking Spring, Berks county, and he there received his education in the Public schools, attending Oberlins Charter Oak Academy until 1883. In that year he entered the general store of his father and remained with him until his decease in 1902. In the settlement of the estate Mr. Hull purchased the entire stock, and he has successfully carried on the business until now. He has filled numerous township offices, acting as a delegate to the Democratic county conventions; has served as secretary of the Sinking Spring Cemetery Company since the death of his father, the latter filling the same position for upward of twenty years; and succeeded his father as the local agent of the Reading Eagle, the father having been the representative for thirty years. Mr. Hull belongs to St. Johns Reformed Church, Sinking Spring. Fraternally he is a charter member and Past Grand of Sinking Spring Lodge No. 660, I. O.O. F., and a charter member and past officer of Loyal Chamber No. 43, O. K. of F.; is a member of the O. U. A. M. at Sinking Spring; and of the Sinking Spring Fire Company.

On Oct. 22, 1890, Mr. Hull married A. Laura Shappell, daughter of Jonas Shappell, of Shoemakersville, Berks county and they have one child, a son, Hiram.

Hiram R. Hull, who was born in 1828, in Leacock township, Lancaster county, was there brought up. When eighteen years old he located at Pennville, near Lititz, and engaged in the general store business, and this he continued for twenty-five years, and then, in 1871, removed to Sinking Spring, where he continued the general store business for over thirty years until his decease in 1902. He took an active part in the Reformed Church in Sinking Spring, and served as assistant superintendent of the Sunday school for twenty-five years. He was married twice. His first wife was Margaret Connell, daughter of Mark Connell, of Earlville, Lancaster county. She died in 1871, and by her he had eleven children: Franklin m. Lizzie Heffner; Charles; Emma m. John S. Yocom; Annie m. Henry S. Clauser; Maggie m. Milton Yoh; Martha; and five died young. Hiram R. Hull m. (second) Mary Lambert, daughter of John Lambert, of Sinking Spring, and by her he had one child, Louisa.

Samuel Hull, father of Hiram R., lived at Earlville, Lancaster Co., Pa., where he was a merchant for a number of years. He is buried at Ephrata. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, and was prominent in public matters. His children were: Benjamin; Hiram; Martha m. Tristrim Connell; Louisa m. Washington Winters; Emma is unmarried and is the only survivor of the family; Mary Ann m. Jacob Hiestand; Elizabeth was unmarried.


HULL, GEORGE A.

p. 1314

Surnames: HULL, BRITTON, KLEINE

George A. Hull, who has won a wide reputation in civil engineering circles, is now carrying on his business under the name of the Reading Engineering Construction Co., with offices in the Baer Building, Reading, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Hull's grandfather, Aaron, was a farmer. I. W. Hull our subject's father is superintendent of factories of the Reading Hardware Co., and he and his wife, who was Julia Britton, of Reading, had a family of eight children: Frank, Ellen, and Walter, who died in infancy; Richard, who died when a young man; John, a foreman in a machine shop of Reading; Florence, at home; Ida, the wife of H. H. Kleine, a druggist of Reading; and George A., our subject.

George A. Hull was born March 8, 1880, in Reading. He was educated in the public schools and also received private tuition, and after completing his education went to Philadelphia and engaged in railroad construction with a civil engineering corps for one year. He then spent some time in municipal work for the city of Reading, after which he engaged in business on his own account. Since 1909 he has been located in the Baer Building, doing business under the style of the Reading Engineering Construction Co., and has engaged largely in work all over the Eastern and Northeastern States.

Religiously Mr. Hull belongs to Calvary Reformed Church. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Germania Maennechor.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:42 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.