Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

HILTEBEITEL, JESSE

p. 1317

Surnames: HILTEBEITEL, SHADE, BROSSMAN, RENNINGER, RUSSELL, FRANKHOUSER, BECK

Jesse Hiltebeitel (deceased), who was for many years a prominent business man of Reading, Pa., engaged in dealing in cattle and stock, was born in 1822, in Montgomery county, Pa., and received his education in the schools of his native place. As a young man Mr. Hiltebeitel engaged in farming, and for a time was the proprietor of a hotel at Salfordville, Montgomery county, and came to Reading about 1860. Here he engaged as a cattle drover, an occupation he followed the rest of his life. He was known to be a very clever business man, but was honest and upright in all of his dealings, and in many ways was kind and generous. He was a member of the Reformed Church, was very active in the work of that denomination, and was liberal in its support. His word was said to have been as good as his bond. He was a Democrat in politics.

Mr. Hiltebeitel was married (first) to Sophia Shade, who died leaving no children. He married (second) in 1874, Elizabeth Brossman, daughter of John and Hannah (Renninger) Brossman, and one child, Mahlon, was born to this union, who by his marriage with Ada Russell has had three children -Jesse, Paul and Robert. Mrs. Hiltebeitel is a member of the Lutheran Church.

John Brossman was born in Lancaster county, and followed farming all of his life, dying in 1886, aged eighty-two years, while his wife was two years older at the time of her death. They had three children: William, who married Sallie Frankhouser, and had five children - John, William, Daniel, Hannah and Susan; Elizabeth; and Rudolph, who married Elizabeth Beck.


HIMMELBERGER, FRANKLIN R.

p. 772

Surnames: HIMMELBERGER, RICHARD, BACKENSTOSE, FISHER, RIEGEL, PHILIPS, SPEICHER,RAPP, SMITH, BAER, RHOADS, GABRIEL, BECKER

Franklin R. Himmelberger, the well known carriage and wagon builder of the borough of West Reading, was born near Centre township, Berks county, Feb. 5, 1861, son of Daniel P. and Rebecca (Richard) Himmelberger.

The home of the Himmelberger family is in Upper Berks county. This is an old family and at one time quite a numerous one. The Pennsylvania archives record that (I) Valentine Himmelberger emigrated to this country on the "Bilander Townshead," which landed at Philadelphia Oct. 5, 1737. George Himmelberger, a brother of Valentine, came over in the ship "Patience," which qualified at Philadelphia Sept. 19, 1749. They both located in Bern township, Berks county. Valentine died on his farm in 1788. He made his will Feb. 28, 1787, and this was recorded Aug. 2, 1788. His wife had died some time before. Their eight children were: Philip, Jacob, Elizabeth, Catharine, Clara, George, Susanna and Eve.

In the Federal Census of 1790 George Himmelberger is recorded as the head of a Bern township family of ten persons, as follows: the father and mother, two sons under sixteen years of age, and six daughters. George Himmelberger died in the fall of 1821. His will made April 19, 1821, was probated Oct. 15th of the same year, and is recorded in Will Book C, page 248. The testator at the time of his death lived in Bern township. The executors of his will were John Backenstose and others. Elizabeth, his wife, survived him. The will mentions the following eleven children: George, Jonathan, Valentine, Philip, Magdalena, Catharine, Elizabeth (Fisher), Sarah, Sybilla, Susanna and David (deceased, who had a son, Georg).

(II) In the Federal Census of 1790, Philip Himmelberger (son of Valentine the emigrant) is recorded as a resident of Tulpehocken township and the head of a family consisting of ten members, father and mother, five sons and three daughters. Two sons were then above sixteen years of age. The will of Philip Himmelberger is on record in Will Book A, page 360. He died in 1797. The executors of his will were his sons Valentine and John, and Adam Riegel. He left a large estate, and his many carpenter tools were given his sons. At this time of the making of his will he had two unmarried daughters. One of the daughters was named Sabila.

(II) The same Federal Census (1790) shows Jacob Himmelberger (son of Valentine) a resident of Bern township. His family consisted of ten members- father, mother, five daughters and three sons then under sixteen years of age. He died in 1824, and his will is on record in Will Book C, page 315. Among the children were Johannes, Elizabeth and Susanna.

(III) Valentine Himmelberger, son of Philip and grandson of Valentine, died in Upper Tulpehocken township in 1853. In his will on record in Will Book 10, p. 129, are mentioned sons Daniel and Johannes. The former was the executor of his father's will.

(IV) Daniel Himmelberger, son of Valentine, was a farmer in what is now Centre township. He had a forty acre farm at Centreville (now Garfield) on which he lived and died. He is buried at Belleman's Church as is also his wife. They were members of the Reformed congregation. The maiden name of his wife was Philips. Their three sons were: Isaac, Moses and Daniel P.

(V) Daniel P. Himmelberger, son of Daniel, was born 1834-35, near Garfield, in Centre township, and there still makes his home. He is an excellent mechanic, being a carpenter, blacksmith and shoemaker. He followed carpentering many years, and built many dwellings in his and surrounding townships. His shop was a boon to farmers for many miles around, who went there to have shoes repaired, carpenter work done or blacksmithing. He married Rebecca Richard, and they had nine children: Adam, Daniel, Franklin R., Levi, John, Morris, Joel, George and Sarah (m. Milton Speicher).

(VI) Franklin R. Himmelberger was reared on his father's farm, where he worked until he was nine years old, after which he was hired out and worked for different farmers until he was nineteen years old, when he learned carriage blacksmithing from Daniel Rapp, the well-known carriage builder at Reading. He remained in Mr. Rapp's employ for six years, and in 1885 he opened a small blacksmith shop at the west end of the Penn street bridge, where he followed his trade two years. In 1887 he associated himself with George H. Smith under the firm name of Himmelberger & Smith, and this firm existed for a period of thirteen years, engaged in carriage building and general wheelwrighting, being very successful from the start. When the Belt Line was built through West Reading, it passed through this firm's property, and the firm was mutually dissolved. Mr. Himmelberger built a large plant at the corner of Second and Cherry streets, West Reading, to which he has been adding ever since. The first buildings were erected in April, 1901, but the constantly increasing business has demanded much larger quarters. The main building is 40 x 100 feet in dimensions, four stories high, with cement basement. There is also a four-story repository 48 x 60 feet, and several other annexes making the total amount of floor space about 36,000 square feet. He employs from twenty-five to thirty-five skilled mechanics, and he makes a specialty of market and delivery wagons, heavy wagons and light pleasure rigs. His establishment is equipped with all the latest improved machinery, drying oven, ware houses, shedding, etc. Besides handling all kinds of vehicles Mr. Himmelberger carries a complete line of harnesses, blankets, whips, etc. He does work for a number of prominent business men, such as Kline, Eppihimer & Co., Leinbach & Bro., Sternbergh & Son, Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart, W. H. Ludens, Whitners, Mould's, undertakers Seidel & Henninger, George F. Baer, A. L. Rhoads and many others. He is a thorough business man, and is the largest individual carriage builder in the county.

In March, 1882, Mr. Himmelberger married Alwilda Gabriel, of Earlville, later of Reading, daughter of Evan and Elizabeth (Becker) Gabriel. Four children have blessed this union: Libbie V., Beulah R., Ruth A. and Martha M. Socially Mr. Himmelberger is a member of Fidelity Chamber No. 5, Knights of Friendship; and Camp No. 212, P. O. S. of A., both of Reading. In politics he is a Democrat. When West Reading was incorporated into a borough, and the people were looking for a conservative man for their first chief burgess, they unanimously selected Mr. Himmelberger for that responsible position, May, 1907. The work of his administration has been marked by progress and by a business-like conduct of affairs, giving great satisfaction to the people. With his family Mr. Himmelberger belongs to the First Reformed Church of Reading, in which he is a member of the consistory, holding office since 1889. He was confirmed in Belleman's Union Church in Centre township in 1876. He is a consistent Christian gentleman, and is regular in his attendance at divine worship.


HINE, CHARLES H.

p. 1714

Surnames: HINE, HUNTER, DIETER, GEIGER, BAER, BRUNNER, RHOADS, GROVE, BOWER, WAGNER, DEIBERT, TRACE

Charles H. Hine, Justice of the peace and Rural Mail Carrier at Douglassville, was born in the district in which he has always lived, Dec. 19, 1854, son of Jeremiah and Sarah(Hunter) Hine. Henry Hine, the first of the family of whom there is definite record, lived in Exeter township at the time of his death in 1821. He left a large estate which he disposed of by will to his wife Barbara and five children: John, Samuel, Jacob, Catherine and Henry. The three sons first mentioned had their portions from their father prior to the making of his will, Feb. 22, 1814. The daughter, Catherine Dieter, was deceased, and her share of the estate was bequeathed to her three children, Samuel, Reuben, and Hannah Dieter. The homestead in Exeter was bequeathed to his son Henry.

Samuel Hine, son of Henry, was a farmer in Amity township, to which place he had removed from Exeter township, where he was born. He was a blacksmith by trade, and this he followed in connection with farming. His will was made July 22, 1829, and he died shortly afterward, his will being on record in Will Book 6, p. 373. He provided amply for his wife Catherine, and he mentions five children: Isaac, Lydia, William(who located in Kutztown), Amos and Jeremiah. His widow Catherine made a will in April, 1832, which was probated June 9, 1841, and entered in Will Book 8, p. 345. It would appear from her will that Samuel Hine was married twice, as she refers to William and Lydia as "my stepchildren". One of the sons went to Union county, Pa., where he died and was buried.

Jeremiah Hine, son of Samuel, was born in Amity township, and both he and his wife are buried at Amityville. By trade he was a blacksmith, following that calling at the "Bupp" in connection with the cultivation of a small farm. Later he owned a farm of 214 acres, which he cultivated from 1843 to 1873. He became well-to-do, and was highly esteemed in his community. On Dec. 21, 1834, he married Sarah Hunter, daughter of John Hunter, of Oley township. She was born Sept. 13, 1815, and died May 8, 1891. They had six children, of whom three died in infancy or in childhood. The others were: Jefferson died in 1868 from injuries sustained from a kick by a horse; Mary Ann married Mahlon Geiger, now deceased; and Charles H. In her will Mrs. Sarah (Hunter) Hine bequeathed to her grandson Irwin Hine her second best bedstead and bedding, and the corner clock to her daughter Mary Ann. She also mentioned her grandson, George Hunter Hine.

Charles H. Hine received his education in the public schools and at the Meigs Private Academy at Pottstown. He was licensed to teach in public schools by Prof. S. A. Baer and later by Prof. D.B. Brunner, and he taught one term in his home district. He then learned the paper-hanger's and painter's trades, and followed same until 1902, in November of which year he was appointed, after competitive examination, to the position of rural mail carrier, and assigned to Route No. 4, at Douglassville. This position he has filled to the present time. He daily covers twenty-two and one-half miles. His home is near the Pennsylvania Railroad Depot, on the road formerly known as the Reading and Perkiomen turnpike. In politics Mr. Hine is a Republican, and in the spring of 1891 he was elected justice of the peace, and has since been twice re-elected. The first time he had opposition, but the second and third times there was none. In 1900 he served as census enumerator for Amity township. He is local treasurer for the Pennsylvania Saving Fund and Loan Association; secretary of the Douglass Mutual Live Stock Association, agent for the Chester Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Lebanon Mutual Fire Insurance Company; and since 1906 has been president of the Berks County Rural Letter Carriers' Association. He has been active in fraternal organizations, belonging to Monocacy Lodge, No. 441, I.O.O.F., of which he has been secretary since 1889, and is a past Grand; Excelsior Encampment No. 85, I.O.O.F., of Pottstown. Since 1898 he has been District Deputy of the Third District of Berks county, and has been a representative to the Grand Lodge. He is also a member of Washington Camp No. 240, P.O.S. of A., at Douglassville, of which he is secretary, and has been representative to the Grand Lodge; of Bright Star, No. 474, K. G. E., of Amityville, in which he is a past officer.

In 1872 Mr. Hine married Elmira Rhoads, daughter of John and Matilda (Grove) Rhoads, of Douglassville, and they have three children: William, m. Sarah Bower, and has children- Raymond, Mary and Clinton, and lives at Douglassville; Jeremiah m. Louisa Wagner, of Douglassville, and has children- Oscar, Alva, Hunter, John and Charles; and Sallie m.(first) William Deibert, deceased, has a son George, and (second) Charles Trace, of Monocacy, by whom she has three children - Thelma, Miriam and Margie.


HINNERSCHITZ FAMILY

p. 1301

Surnames: HINNERSHITZ, HINTERSCHIED, SCHEPLER, HINTERSCHITT, PAFF, WOLF, CLEMONS, KOCH, ENGELHART, HOCH, BRENNER, PRICE, FAIR, BICKHARD, KISSINGER, POTTEIGER, LEISS, CLOUSER, ENGEL, FAUST, RAPP, BREIDIGAM, ALTHOUSE, SIDES, BISSERCOMER, LEVAN, KREISER, GIBSON, ROLAND, SCHADT, GOODHART, CHRISTIAN, MELL, LANDERSTEIN, BOHN, UNDERKOFFLER, HOLL, STEFFY, SETTLEY, GRAEFF

The Hinnershitz family of Berks county, Pa., owes its origin to Johann George Hinterschied, who was born in April, 1724, in Germany, and who sailed from Rotterdam, landing at Philadelphia, Sept. 15, 1749. In 1768 his name first appears on the tax list in Alsace township, Berks county, but the exact date of his coming to this county, as well as the date of his marriage to Maria Catherine ------- is not known. Tradition says that he was married when he came into the province of Pennsylvania, and that he had several sons. He carried on agricultural pursuits in the neighborhood of Spies's Church, and in the cemetery there the remains of both himself and wife are buried. In 1783 he was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and to this fact the proper authority issued a certified record. His wife was born in April, 1715, and the inscription on her sandstone tombstone says she died A. D. 1787, but this inscription, as well as that over the grave of her husband, was read with difficulty, and the accuracy is somewhat in doubt. The number of their children, with dates of birth and death, are uncertain, but old baptismal certificates and tombstones and church records show that among others they had two sons: Conrad, born March 23, 1756, who, it is believed, settled in Bedford county, where there is a large settlement of the family; and Jacob.

(II) Jacob Hinterschied, son of the emigrant, was married June 12, 1774, to Catharine Schepler, born Aug. 7, 1751, and died Sept. 30, 1834. They were the parents of five children: Heinrich, 1776-1862; Jacob; Johannes; Conrad; and Maria, 1785-1793.

(III) Jacob Hinterschitt, second son of Jacob, was married in 1814, to Susanna Paff, and among their children were: William P., born in 1817, and the father of Priscilla, John S. Harrison of (Mt. Penn); Elizabeth P., born 1819, died 1882; William S., who owns and lives upon the homestead; Charles S.; Richard S.; and Elizabeth.

(III) Johannes Hinnerschitt, third son of Jacob, married Elizabeth Wolf, and they became the parents of: (1) Jeremias, born March 14, 1807, m. Maria Clemons (1811-1882). (2) Henrietta, born Oct. 14, 1809, m. J. Koch. (3) Isaac, born May 12, 1813, died Oct. 28, 1901. (4) Malinda m. an Engelhart. (5) William died Dec. 9, 1816. (6) Samuel, born Oct. 27, 1818, m. Hannah Hoch (1820-1892), and died May 20, 1893. (7) Catharine m. a Brenner. (8) Rebecca m. John Price. (9) John was a life-long farmer in Lower Alsace township, and is buried in the old Hunsinger graveyard. He m. a Miss Paff, and had children: Isaac, Beckie, Samuel, Joseph, Jeremiah, Daniel, Matilda, William and several who died young. (10) Daniel, born in Lower Alsace township March 28 1829, was a farmer and resided in various townships, and died April 12, 1893, aged sixty-four years, in Reading. He m. Margaret Fair, daughter of John and Margaret (Bickhard) Fair, of Lancaster county, and they had these four children: Miranda m. Mossie Kissinger; Martha m. Nathan Potteiger; Daniel W., born March 9, 1865; and John H.

(III) Conrad Hinnerschitz, son of Jacob, died in 1838, and in his will which was entered the same year in the Berks county Courthouse he states that he was old in years and weak in body. On June 29, 1806, he was married to Elizabeth Leiss, and they had the following children: Lovina; Augustus; William, born June 5, 1811; Maria, born June 14, 1814; Rebecca, born Feb. 26, 1816, m. John Clouser; Caroline, born Dec. 1, 1819, died Nov. 1, 1820; and Catherine, who m. David Engel.

(III) Heinrich Hinterschitt, son of Jacob, was a native of Alsace township, born in 1776. He was an extensive agriculturist, owning several valuable farms, and he also owned a distillery, frequently burning much apple-jack. He had from 100 to 150 barrels of apple-jack, wine, cider and vinegar in his kettle house. He was an extraordinary strong man, and with comparative ease could lift a barrel filled with liquor from the ground into a Conestoga wagon. In 1846 he erected a barn on the farm in Lower Heidelberg township, later owned by his son Anthony. He was a Reformed member of Spies Church, and died in that faith in 1862,, and was buried in the cemetery connected with that church.

He married Maria Magdalena Faust, born in 1781, and died April 4, 1858, and they had the following children: (1) John Jacob and (2) John Heinrich were twins, born Feb 11, 1807. John Jacob married Barbara Rapp (born March 4, 1818---died March 6, 1878), daughter of Henry and Barbara (Breidigam) Rapp, and died Jan. 10, 1882. Both he and his wife are buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. They had five children: Amelia, born Jan.27, 1838, m. Franklin Althouse, born March 28, 1836, son of John and Maria (Althouse) Althouse, and both are buried in the Charles Evans cemetery; Henry A., born March 3, 1843, married three times, the maiden names of his wives being, respectively, Rapp, Sides and Bissercomer, and he died March 1, 1882; William R. born Sept. 2, 1840, m. April 29, 1860, Esther Levan daughter of David and Esther Levan, and died July 5, 1906; John R. died Nov. 24, 1894; Mary Ann born March 1, 1845, died March 27, 1858. (2) John Heinrich m Fredericka Kreiser, and died April 4, 1834, the year of his marriage. (3) Conrad, born Dec. 11, 1808, m. Mary Gibson (1818-1888), and lived in Alsace township. Their children were: Rufus, John, Heinrich, Rebecca, Amanda, Augustus, Emma E., Daniel and Alice. (4) Magdalena, born Aug. 10, 1810, m Joseph Roland. (5) George, of Lower Heidelberg township, m. Susan Schadt, and had children: George, Harry, Jacob, Susan, Sarah, Emma and Hannah. (6)John, born June 19, 1813, m. Anna M. Goodhart, and had children; Isabella, Matilda, Frederick, Daniel, Thomas, Benjamin, John, Josiah and Catherine. (7) Susanna was born June 27, 1814. (8) Elizabeth m. John Christian. (9) Daniel lived in Cumru township. (10) Catherine, born Nov. 8, 1818, m David Mell. (11) Frederick, born Sept. 14, 1820, lived in Alsace township on the original homestead, and died there Jan. 11, 1903, the father of: Abraham, Ann, Seville, Eve, Henry, Adam, Frederick, Elizabeth, John, Rosana, Charles and Albert. (12) Anthony is mentioned below.

(IV) Anthony Hinnershitz, son of Heinrich, and father of William E. S., was born on the Hinnershitz homestead in Cumru township Sept. 15, 1822, and died Nov. 7, 1881. He was a life-long farmer, and owned eighty-four acres of land on the Van Reed road in Spring township, where he resided from 1845 until his death. He was a Democratic voter, never missing an election, and was a member of Kissinger's Church in Spring township, of which he served as deacon and elder.

Mr. Hinnershitz was married to Catherine Landerstein, of Albany township, born Dec. 24, 1825, died Dec. 5, 1884, and they had seven children: William E. S.; Catherine, who resides in Philadelphia; John of West Reading; S. Violette, deceased, m. to Jeremiah Bohn, of Lower Heidelberg township; Levi, of No. 252 West Buttonwood street, Reading; Malinda, m. to Frank Underkoffler, of Reading; and Annie, who died aged seventeen years.

(V) William E. S. Hinnershitz was born in spring township, Berks county, Oct. 17, 1846, and was reared upon his father's farm, remaining at home until he was twenty-five years of age, at which time he became an employe of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, on the East Penn and Lebanon Valley Division. He began as a brakeman, and was promoted to the position of conductor, remaining in the service for about four years, when he gave up railroad work to become a carpenter in the car shops until 1879. In that year Mr. Hinnershitz commenced farming in Spring township, an occupation which he followed for five years, when he removed to West Reading, becoming that place's first merchant. He opened the first store in the first house above the railroad bridge, which he conducted two years, and then removed to his present location, the growth of his business warranting a removal.

Mr. Hinnershitz is a Democrat in politics, and has been active in the ranks of his party since attaining his majority. He helped to hold many elections, and was instrumental in having the first precinct voting place of Spring township established. This precinct is now incorporated in West Reading. He was first elected school director in 1877, and since that time has served nineteen years. When West Reading was incorporated Mr. Hinnershitz was again elected school director, an office which he now holds. He became a candidate for sheriff of Berks county in 1899, and each election gave him a higher vote. He is a member of West Reading Camp, No. 676, P. O. S. of A., which he was instrumental in organizing in November, 1900, and which now has a membership of fifty-one. He is a member of Kissinger's Church, belonging to the reformed congregation, was deacon for eighteen years, and is now serving as elder. He is very active in church work, and his charities are many.

On July 4, 1872, Mr. Hinnershitz was married to Miss Lydia Ann Holl, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Steffy) Holl, and to this union were born the following children: Peter A.; Katie died young; Edward S. lives in Reading; Henry V. R. died aged six years; and Mamie L. and William both died in infancy.

Mrs. Hinnershitz is descended from Melchoir Holl. George Holl, son of Melchoir, was twice married. His first wife, Mary Settley bore him five children: Kate, Sarah, Sophia, John and Elizabeth. He m. (second) Elizabeth Steffy, and to this union there were born children as follows: Aaron, Henry, Rosanna, Isaac, Mary, Louisa, Lydia Ann, Anna Elizabeth, Peter and an infant son. Of these Lydia Ann and Anna Elizabeth were twins.

(VI) Peter A. Hinnershitz, son of William E. S., and the proprietor of the "Fifth Ward Inn," Reading, was born in Spring township Jan. 8, 1868. He was reared upon the farm, and the public schools afforded him his education. At an early age he began to learn the molder's trade in the Reading Hardware Company, where he was employed for seventeen consecutive years. He spent two years in the stove shop. In the spring of 1902 he engaged in the hotel business, and since that time has been the proprietor of his present popular hotel. In politics Mr. Hinnershitz is a Democrat. He belongs to Castle No. 49, K. G. E., Reading; Council No. 19, O. of I. A.; Conclave No. 133, Improved Order of Heptasophs. With his family he attends the Reformed Church.

On Dec. 24, 1889, Mr. Hinnershitz married Miss Sue E. Graeff, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Graeff) Graeff, and to this union have been born two children William; and Clara Elizabeth, who died aged three months.


HINNERSHITZ, FREDERICK A.

p. 689

Surnames: HINNERSHITZ, HARBOLD, BUSHONG, FOX, SCHMECK, BAHN

Frederick A. Hinnershitz, for many years a well-known resident of Reading, Pa., died Aug. 24, 1896, at his home in Riverside. Mr. Hinnershitz was born Dec. 4, 1841, in Alsace township, Berks county, son of Isaac and Rebecca (Harbold) Hinnershitz.

Isaac Hinnershitz, who resided in Alsace township, was an agriculturalist all of his life, and was a good citizen and much respected by his fellow townsmen. He married Rebecca Harbold, of that township, and to them were born a family of eleven children: Henry, Ann Eliza, Lydia, Mary, Frederick, James, John, Isaac, William, Amos and Rebecca. In religious belief the family were connected with the Reformed denomination. In politics Mr. Hinnershitz was a Democrat.

Frederick A. Hinnershitz resided on a farm in Bern township, which was rented of Jacob Bushong by his father, until twenty-one years of age, and in 1861 or 1862 removed to Riverside, where he continued to live up to the time of his death, working at the Reading Hardware Company's works until he entered the employ of the Carpenter Steel Works. He died Aug. 4, 1896, in the faith of the Reformed Church, and was buried at Alsace Church. Mr. Hinnershitz was a man of many sterling qualities of character, and on account of them was respected and esteemed by those who knew him. In his political belief he was a Democrat.

On Sept. 14, 1861, Mr. Hinnershitz was married to Catherine Fox, daughter of George and Maria (Schmeck) Fox, and to this union there was born one son; James, born March 15, 1862, in Muhlenberg township, who married Emma Bahn, and has three children, Mary, Fred and Edith.


HINNERSHITZ, WILLIAM RAPP

p. 1087

Surnames: HINNERSHITZ, PAULY, LEINBACH, LEVAN, ALTHOUSE, BUBP, REHR,KERPER, KEELY

William Rapp Hinnershitz, son of the late Jacob and Barbara Rapp Hinnershitz, was born Sept. 2, 1840, in Cumru township, Berks Co., Pa. He was baptized by Rev. William Pauly, May 3, 1841, and confirmed in 1859 in the First Reformed Church by Rev. Aaron S. Leinbach who also officiated at his marriage. He was married to Ellen, daughter of David and Esther Levan, of Reading, April 29, 1860, and their happy married life continued until she died, July 5, 1907. Mr. Hinnershitz was the last of his family, the following brothers and sisters having preceded him in death: Amelia A., wife of Franklin A. Althouse; Henry A., John R., and Mary A. Hinnershitz.

In 1850 Mr. Hinnershitz entered the employ of Kerper & Keely, grocers, then located at the southwest corner of Eighth & Penn streets. He served them faithfully until 1865, when he formed a partnership with his father-in-law, David Levan, under the firm name of Wm. R. Hinnershitz & Co., they doing business at No. 747 Penn street. After the death of Mr. Levan, which occurred two years later, he associated with himself in the same business, the late John E. Bubp and they did business under the firm name of Hinnershitz & Bubp. They conducted the business with much success for a period of twenty-four years, when, in 1891, Mr. Hinnershitz retired from the firm.

After that he was actively engaged in the building business, both individually and in partnership with several prominent builders, the foremost of whom was a Mr. Rehr. In all, he was instrumental in the erection of several hundred first-class dwellings erected in different parts of this city. He served the Provident Building and Savings Associations Nos. 1 and 2 as president for five years, during which time he superintended the erection of a large number of substantial buildings for them in the northeast section of Reading. He was superintendent of the erection of the annex building of St. Paul's Reformed Church, also superintendent of the erection of St. Andrew's Reformed Church; at the same time acting as treasurer of the building funds. He was one of the organizers of the Penn, Schuylkill Valley and Reading National Banks and served as a director of the Schuylkill Valley Bank until the organization of the Reading National, which occurred in 1893, when he resigned and became a director and vice-president of that institution, which office he has held ever since.

Mr. Hinnershitz was a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. and A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R .A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; a charter member of Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and formerly a member of Lu Lu Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Philadelphia, Pa.; Mt. Penn Lodge, No. 65, K. of P.; and Brotherhood of the Union, H. F. No.7. He was a life-long Republican, but refused all public offices tendered him.


HINTZ, J. GEORGE

p. 1201

Surnames: HINTZ, SMITH, KELLER, BROWN, HILL, LOTZ, DENTLER, BUYER, HEUSER, KUHN, ROETHER, DUNKEL, WILSON, CROUSE, LOTZ

J. George Hintz, bookseller and stationer at Reading for twenty-six years, was born in Reading Jan. 5, 1862, and received his education in the St. John's Lutheran parochial school, going till he was eleven years old, when he started to contribute something toward making a livelihood for himself by carrying the daily newspapers of Reading, Philadelphia and New York to their patrons throughout the city, getting up very early in the morning to enable him to deliver the Reading Times before breakfast. After carrying and selling newspapers for about a year, he found employment in the book and stationery store of Levi J. Smith, on Penn square, and he continued at this place for nine years, having acted as clerk for several years and then as one of the managers of the store until the place was sold in the settlement of the Smith estate.

In 1883 he opened a small store of the same kind at No. 712 Penn street, in a little narrow room, but in one year his obliging disposition won so much patronage that he was compelled to move into larger quarters to accommodate his rapidly increasing trade. He secured a room on the adjoining premises, and he continued there for three years, when he was again compelled to get still larger quarters, and these he found at No. 734 Penn street, by buying the established stand of Keller & Brown, who were engaged in the same business. Upon taking possession of the new stand, he enlarged his varied stock and extended his trade throughout the county of Berks into the adjoining counties in furnishing schools with supplies of all kinds in competition with large dealers. In 1901 he purchased the premises at No. 756, in the same square, next to the Penn National Bank, and after making the necessary changes and enlarging all the departments of the store, moved into the new quarters, and here he has been located until the present time.

While conducting his business, he found time to devote to secret societies, more especially the Knights of the Golden Eagle, a branch of which he helped to organize at Reading, and then came to fill the different offices until he was finally promoted to District Grand Chief of this powerful organization for the district comprising Berks county. He was made a Knight in 1885, and served as district grand chief for five years from 1887. He is also prominently identified with the Odd Fellows, the P. O. S. of A., the Masons, Knights Templars and Mystic Shrine. Mr. Hintz has also interested himself in municipal affairs. In this behalf he became a member of the Board of Trade in 1890, and after serving on various committees came to officiate as president in 1899 and 1900. He took a prominent part in the Sesqui-Centennial of Reading, acting as chief of staff of the school parade. In the establishment of the large modern market house in 1895, at Tenth and Windsor streets, Mr. Hintz was very active becoming one of the first directors, and finally president of the corporation, which position he has filled since 1900. In the dedication of the monument on Penn Common to the First Defenders from Reading in the Civil war he was chief marshal of the military and civic parade. And he also acted as chief marshal of the great labor parade in the largest labor demonstration ever witnessed at Reading. He served as deputy coroner of the county from 1902 to 1905, and as such held a number of important inquests. He is a trustee of the Homeopathic Hospital, a director of the Merchants Association, and a director in several trolley lines.

In 1883 Mr. Hintz was married to Katherine Hill, only daughter of David and Margaret(Lotz) Hill, and they had twin sons, who died in infancy, and three daughters, Lucy Margaret(m. to Dr. Roy W. Dentler), Mabel Magdalena and Maud Katherine.

Andrew Hintz, father of Mr. Hintz, emigrated from Merklingen, in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1849, and located at Reading, where he followed tailoring for fifty years. He has lived in honored retirement since 1898, being now in the eighty-first year of his age. He married Magdalena Buyer, of Heilborn, also in Wurtemberg, and by her he had eleven children: Rosa m. J.P. Heuser; Catherine died in 1898, aged forty-five years; Lena m. P.J. Kuhn, and died in 1908; Andrew m. Anna Roether; J. George is mentioned above; Annie died in infancy; Frederick F. m. Mary Dunkel; William G. m. Lizzie Wilson; Emma m. Henry V.E. Crouse; David H.; Clara C. The parents celebrated their golden wedding in 1903. The mother died in 1906, aged seventy-two years.

David Hill, Mrs. Hintz' father, was brought up in Alsace township, three miles north of Reading, and after learning the trade of machinist filled the position of stationary engineer in the Philadelphia and Reading railroad shops for forty years. He died in 1894 aged sixty-six years. Her mother was a lineal descendant of Col. Nicholas Lotz, of Reading, who rendered important services in the Revolutionary war.


HIPSCH, MARTIN H.

p. 1518

Surnames: HIPSCH, MILLER, MARKELWITZ, HAAS

Martin H. Hipsch, who has been in the employ of the Reading Iron Company, at its Oley street mill plant, as an assistant roller, since May 30, 1895, is an experienced steel worker and a competent man in his special line. He was born at Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., Jan. 28, 1868, a son of William and Mary (Miller) Hipsch.

William Hipsch was born at Berlin, Germany, in 1829, and died at Steelton, Pa., in 1897, aged sixty-eight years. He was educated in the German schools and came to America before his marriage, locating at Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., where he worked at a blast furnace. Later, after he moved to Steelton, he worked as a fireman in a boiler establishment for many years. He was provident and acquired property and reared his family in comfort. He was a man of religious conscience, a strict Lutheran and was well versed in the Scriptures. He married Mary Miller, born in 1841, who died in 1893, aged fifty-two years. The memory of both father and mother is revered by the survivors of their family of seven children. They are: Annie, who married Henry Miller, residing at Steelton; Ella, who married Fred Markelwitz, residing at Endhaut, in Dauphin county; William, unmarried, residing at Steelton; John, an iron worker, residing at Homestead; Martin H., residing at Reading; Frank, who is a resident of Michigan; and Dora, who died in November, 1907, aged forty six years.

Martin H. Hipsch was six yeas of age when his parents moved to Steelton and there he attended the public schools until he was fourteen years of age, when he entered the Pennsylvania steel works, where he learned the hammerman's trade, which he followed for nine years. He then went into the rolling mill business at Reading and, as noted above, holds a very important position, one that entails responsibility and requires great skill. Mr. Hipsch is a self-respecting, reliable citizen and is the owner of his comfortable home at No. 627 Ritter street, Reading, where he resides with his wife and one son. He was married March 12, 1891, to Mary Haas, born March 7, 1868, daughter to Joel and Sallie Haas, of Pricetown, Berks county, Pa. Their son, Charles William, who was born July 16, 1892, is in the employ of the General Advertising Company of this city. Mr. Hipsch and family belong to the Lutheran Church.

In his political affiliations, Mr. Hipsch is a Republican. He is a member of Mt. Penn Lodge, No. 627 I. O. O. F.; of the Daughters of Rebekah; of the Brotherhood of Odd Fellows and of the Royal Arcanum, all of Reading. He is a member of Oley Street Relief Association and of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers of America.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:37 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.