Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

HASSLER, AUGUSTUS B.

p. 761

Surnames: HASSLER, SNYDER, KOHLER, EBNER

Augustus B. Hassler, proprietor of the "Germania Hotel", at Ninth and Penn streets, Reading, is of German parentage, but is of American birth. His father, also named Augustus, left Germany for the United States in 1852, and settled in Reading where he died.

Augustus B. Hassler was born in Reading in 1854, and received his education in the public schools of that place. He first went to work as a bar clerk at the corner of Fifth and Penn streets, and afterward bought out the Washington Library Cafe, continuing there until 1881, when he bought out Harry Snyder, who had succeeded Major Ebner as proprietor of the place he first worked in, now known as the "Colonial Hotel". He ran that very successfully for twelve years, and then retired from business. But he was soon eager for the harness and before long was once more in the hotel business, and in 1894 was running what was known as the "Klapperthal Pavilion" at Klapperthal. He remained there from 1894 until 1895, when he became manager of the Penn Hotel Cafe. In 1901 he became proprietor of the "Germania Hotel", which occupies a building four stories in height, 26 x 100 feet in dimensions. A portion of the structure is finished off as flats of a high class, while the rest is devoted to the hotel proper, which is one of the most up-to-date places in the city, and is very handsome in its appointments and finishings. The entrance and office are laid with tile flooring. Mr. Hassler gives his whole attention to the management of the place and being very popular his hotel ranks high.

Mrs. Hassler was a Miss Annie Kohler, and her marriage to Mr. Hassler occurred in 1878. They have had a large family of children, of whom four died young. The others are: Harry, Rosa, Joseph, Cecelia, Bernard and Anthony. The family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Hassler is a member of several fraternal organizations, including the Knights of St. John, Columbus Commandery, Eagles, Reading Turn Verein, Bonifacius Society, Reading Liederkranz, Bavarian Society, Quaker Society, Mt. Penn Family Circle, Mountain Spring Association, Rainbow Fire Company, Veteran Fireman's Association, and Encampment No. 43, Union Veteran Legion.


HASSLER, EZRA S.

p 494

Surnames: HASSLER, SEIDEL, SHOFER/SHAFFER, ROEMER, SARIG, FOX, SCHADEL, HARTMAN, LUKENS, THOMPSON, RAUENZAHN, McDONOUGH, HERBINE, MERKEL, HASLER, SCHANTZ, EVANS, MENTZER, BUCKS, HAIN

Ezra S. Hassler a prominent merchant and influential citizen of Wernersville Pa., where he has resided for fifteen years, was born June 27, 1854, in Ruscombmanor township. Berks county, son of Philip and Sarah Ann (Seidel) Hassler.

Philip Hassler, great-grandfather of Ezra S., lived in the vicinity of Friedensburg. His wife was a Miss Shofer or Shaffer, and their children were: William, of Friedensburg; Mrs. Sally Roemer, of Kutztown district; Mrs. Moses Sarig, who moved West; and Jacob.

Jacob Hassler, grandfather of Ezra S., was born in Berks county in 1801, and died in 1875. He attended school in Reading, when the only school building was a log house, and in early life lived near the Oley line, where he owned a small farm. He was also a cabinet maker by trade, and this he followed at his house, which was situated on the Reading road two miles from Friedensburg, working until his retirement, when he removed to Reading and there died. He is buried at Spies's Church, of which he was a Lutheran member. He married (first) Elizabeth Fox, by whom he had children as follows: Eliza, Benjamin and Isaac, all of whom died young; Philip; Jonas died at Milton, Pa.; Sarah m. Adam Schadel, and died of small-pox; Susan m. Daniel Hartman, and died in May, 1905; William lived at Yellow House; Amos died at a Soldiers' Home; and two died in infancy. Mr. Hassler m. (second) Mrs. Judith (Lukens) Thompson, and there were two daughters born to this union: Mary Ann, of Reading, m. (first) Israel Rauenzahn, and (second) William A. McDonough; and Louisa m. (first) Albert Herbine, by whom she had one son, Harry, and (second) William Merkel, now also deceased.

Philip Hasler (Hassler), father of Ezra- S., was born Aug. 6, 1829, in Oley township, and died in Ruscombmanor township, March 11, 1860. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and also engaged in farming, owning a tract of about thirty acres of land. For a number of years Mr. Hassler was a constable of his district. He is buried at Pricetown. Mr. Hassler's wife, Sarah Ann Seidel, was born at Hamburg, Pa., Nov. 2, 1828, and died in Ruscombmanor township. May 18, 1895, being also buried at Pricetown. They had these children: Ezra S.; Wellington S. resides at Akron, Ohio & and Emma A. m. Albert J. Evans, of Lancaster county.

Ezra S. Hassler attended the common schools of his native locality until reaching the age of seventeen years, and in 1872 was licensed to teach school by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner, subsequently teaching in Pike and Richmond townships, Berks county, for two years. He then learned telegraphy from William Schantz, of Blandon, Pa., and was appointed station agent at Reinholds Station, Lancaster county, where he remained for a period of thirteen years. During the latter year of his service with this company he was also engaged in the mercantile business at Reinholds, but in 1887 removed his business to Spring Grove, Lancaster county, where he continued with much success for five years, being also the postmaster at this point during President Cleveland's administration. He came to Wernersville in 1892, and erected his present store building, 31 x 86 feet, two stories high, with a frontage of fifty-three feet on the main street. He has the leading mercantile establishment of the town, and carries a complete, up-to-date line of goods, doing a strictly cash business and enjoying the confidence of the community. Mr. Hassler is a Democrat in politics, and has been greatly interested in public matters in Wernersville, and has served as postmaster thereof for four years, during Cleveland's second administration. Fraternally he is connected with Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M., which he joined in 1876; Royal Arch Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M., which he joined in 1886; and DeMolay Commandery, No. 9, K. T. which he joined in 1892. He joined Terre Hill Lodge, No. 454, I. 0. 0. F., in 1887, and in 1892 was admitted by card to Wernersville Lodge, No. 835.

Mr. Hassler married (first) Oct. 13, 1876, Adaline K. Mentzer, of Stevens, Pa., born Nov. 27, 1855, who died Aug. 31, 1878, leaving one daughter, Bertha May, born July 29, 1877, who died. April 26, 1882. Mr. Hassler m. (second) Catharine E. Bucks, daughter of David and Ellen (Hain) Bucks, and they have two children: Ralph B., born at Reinholds Station, Jan. 6, 1887, is assisting his father in the mercantile business and on his own account is conducting the musical department in the same establishment. He is a graduate of Wernersville high school, class of 1903. Mr. Hassler's daughter, Ruth Irene, was born Aug. 9, 1897.


HATT, JACOB GRILL

p. 948

Surnames mentioned: BEHM, BOHMER, GRILL, HAIN, HATH, HATT, HEVERLING, HOFFMAN, KEGERISE, KLEINGINNA, MATZ, MILLER, RUTH, SAUDER, STIELY, WENRICH, WERTZ

Jacob Grill Hatt, a representative citizen of Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, where he owns much land, is now living retired at his home near Fritztown, after many years spent at hard work. Mr. Hatt was born Dec. 15, 1835, on his father's farm in Spring township, Berks county, son of Jacob and Catherine (Grill) Hatt.

Conrath Hath (Hatt), Sr., the great-grandfather of Jacob G., and the ancestor of this family in America, came from Switzerland about the middle of the 18th century, and soon after arriving in this country settled in Cumru township, Berks county, where he purchased land, a property which he continued to operate until his death in 1789. His will, which was probated in that year, mentions these children: Henry, who had a son Henry; Philip; Conrath, Jr.; Margaretha, who bore her mother's name; Maria Elizabeth; Anna Maria; Juliana; and Catherine, who was the wife of John Kleinginna, of Cumru township.

Philip Hatt, grandfather of Jacob G., was born in Cumru township, where his death occurred in 1824. He owned his own farm, which he operated all of his life, and in his will, which was probated Sept. 3, 1824, the following children were mentioned: Philip (1788-1856) m. Magdalena Bohmer (1796-1847) and died intestate; Daniel m. Susan Heverling, and had these children--Richard, Elizabeth (m. Adam Behm), John (1814-1882), Daniel (1815-1893), Catherine (m. A. Kegerise) and Polly (m. a Hoffman); Susanna; Catherine; John; Conrad; Jacob, the father of Jacob G.; William, born April 17, 1802, died June 26, 1868; and Elizabeth.

Jacob Hatt, father of Jacob G., was born May 12, 1800, and died Aug. 5, 1876. He was a lifelong farmer in Spring township, where he owned a fine property of 130 acres, now in the possession of his grandson, Jacob Hatt, and was also a stave-maker and cooper. Genial and affable in manner, Mr. Hatt was very popular in his community, and was esteemed by all who knew him. Mr. Hatt married Catherine Grill, born Oct. 29, 1802, who died Nov. 26, 1866, and to them were born these children: Louisa (m. Abraham Matz; Samuel, a farmer of Spring township; Kitty (m. Henry Wertz; John, a farmer, who died in Lower Heidelberg township; Jacob G.; Catherine (m. Daniel Ruth); Sally (m. Henry Matz); Betz (m. Fred Hain); Polly (m. William Ruth; and Levi, who died unmarried.

Jacob G. Hatt attended the old pay schools of his day, which were in charge of German teachers, and was reared upon his father's farm in Spring township, where he began farming for himself at the age of 24 years. In 1864 he purchased a farm of 30 acres in the Blue Marsh, where he lived for six years, and this he then sold to remove to the old Sauder farm in Lower Heidelberg township, which he tenanted for ten years. In the spring of 1882 he purchased a tract of 120 acres near Fritztown, where his son, William Hatt, now lives, and he also purchased a small property of 18 acres on which he lives engaged in truck farming, attending the Reading market from one to three times a week. In addition Mr. Hatt owns about 37 acres of woodland. In political matters Mr. Hatt is a stanch Democrat. He and his wife are members of St. John's Reformed Church of which he was elder for two years. Mr. Hatt is a successful man, and his success has been won honestly, his reputation as a business man of integrity and fair dealing being an enviable one. He is well known to the people of his vicinity as a public-spirited citizen and Christian gentleman.

In 1858 Mr. Hatt married Rebecca Miller, born Jan. 23, 1836, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Stiely) Miller, of Cumru township, and to this union there were born eight children, of whom the only survivor is William G., who is married to Annie Wenrich and has five children: Elsie, Jacob, Leah, William and Elmer. Three of Mr. Hatt's other children died within three weeks, of diphtheria, his eldest son, Adam also succumbing to that disease, when 19 years old.


Hatt, SAMUEL GRILL

p. 1042

Surnames: BEHM, FREES, FRITTERICH, GRILL, HAIN, HATH, HATT, HUTTISON, HUYETT, KLEINGINNA, MATZ, MILLER, MOSSER, RUTH, SPATZ, WEITZEL, WERTZ

Samuel Grill Hatt (deceased), a successful agriculturist and leading citizen of Spring township, Berks Co., Pa., whose death occurred March 15, 1887, was born Sept. 15, 1830, in Brecknock township, Berks county, son of Jacob and Catherine (Grill) Hatt and died March 15, 1887.

Conrath (Conrad) Hath, the great-grandfather of Samuel G. Hath, was a farmer of Cumru township, where he owned considerable property at the time of his death, in 1789. His will is on record in the Berks County Court House, written in German and signed by himself, and after he makes ample provision for his aged wife, Margaretha, he in equal shares divides the estate among the following children: Henry; Philip, who died Sept. 3, 1824, the father of the following children--Philip (who died intestate in 1856), Daniel (who died in 1864, leaving two sons, Jacob and William), Susanna, Catherine, John, Conrad, Jacob, William and Elizabeth (then under age); Conrad, Jr., grandfather of Samuel G.; Margaretha; Maria Elizabeth; Anna Maria; Juliana, and Catherine, who married John Kleinginna.

Conrad Hatt, Jr. was a farmer living between Fritztown and Gouglersville, and owned the old homestead. He married and became the father of six children: Jacob, the father of Samuel G.; William; Daniel; Betsey, who married a Behm; Catherine; and Mary, who married Isaac Weitzel.

Jacob Hatt, son of Conrad, Jr., was born May 12, 1800, and after a long life spent in agricultural pursuits passed away Aug. 5, 1876, being buried at Sinking Spring Church, of which he had been a member. Mr. Hatt married Catherine Grill, and to them there were born twelve children: Samuel G.; Louisa m. Abraham Matz; Catherine m. Daniel Ruth; Jacob m. Beckie Miller; Catherine m. Henry Wertz; Sallie m. Henry Matz; John m. Magdalena Fritterich; Levi died single, aged 34 years; Polly m. William Ruth; Betsy m. Fred Hain; and two died young.

Samuel Grill Hatt was educated in the schools of his native locality, and from early youth engaged in agricultural pursuits. At the time of his death he was the owner of a fine farm of 145 acres in Spring township, and left a large estate to his widow and children. Mr. Hatt was a Democrat in politics and was very active in the ranks of his party, being on a number of occasions elected school director. He was a consistent member of Gouglersville Reformed Church, of which he was secretary and treasurer for many years.

On Sept. 24, 1864, Mr. Hatt was married to Caroline Spatz, born Sept. 26, 1840, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Huttison) Spatz, and to them were born five children: Jacob S., who resides in Reading, m. Martha Huyett; Lizzie S. m. May 2, 1908, Henry B. Frees, an employee of the Reading Iron Company, and lives at Brookside; M. Agnes m. Henry Mosser, of Reading; Eva A. died in infancy; James H. m. Cora Hatt. Mrs. Lizzie S. (Hatt) Frees, who has devoted her life to the care of her mother, built a fine brick residence in the spring of 1901 at Hemmmig's corner in the borough of Shillington, Pa., and in this home, which is one of the finest residences of the town, mother and daughter lived until the latter's marriage, the mother now residing with Mrs. Frees in Brookside.


HAUDER, WILLIAM R.

p. 919

Surnames: HAUDER, RUTH, POTTEICHER, GERNAND, BEIDLER, MULL, STELTZ, HILL, GOOD

William R. Hauder. In the death of William R. Hauder, which occurred at the old Mull residence on Main street, Sinking Spring, March 15, 1905, Spring township lost one of its highly esteemed citizens and a prominent member of the Reformed Church. Mr. Hauder was born March 14, 1833, son of Daniel and Catherine (Ruth) Hauder.

Solomon Hauder, the grandfather of William R., was born on the old homestead in Heidelberg township, Dec. 25, 1785, son of Ulrich Hauder, the first of the name to settle in Heidelberg township, from whom he received the property which he operated all of his life. He died May 13, 1869, and was buried at Sinking Spring graveyard, immediately back of the church. Solomon Hauder was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was married to Catherine Potteicher, of Strausstown, born Nov. 3, 1788, who died June 5, 1855, and they had only one child, Daniel.

Daniel Hauder, father of William R., was born Sept. 22, 1806, on the old homestead in Heidelberg township, and died Feb.1, 1880, being buried at the graveyard at Sinking Spring. He was a lifelong farmer, became very successful, and was a leading member of Sinking Spring Church. Mr. Hauder married Catherine Ruth, born Oct. 28, 1808, who died April 14, 1887, daughter of George and Catherine (Gernand) Ruth. To this union there were born three children: Catherine m. Isaac Y. Beidler, whose record appears elsewhere in this volume; William R.; and Eliza m. Cyrus Ruth, an agriculturist of Spring township.

William R. Hauder was reared to manhood at the old Hauder homestead, which has been in the family name since the days of the American Revolution, and commenced farming when about twenty-six years old on this property, which he continued to operate for many years. He then removed to a farm which his wife had acquired, a property of twenty-eight acres of good land in Lower Heidelberg township, which has been tenanted since Mr. and Mrs. Hauders retirement to Sinking Spring.

In 1859 Mr. Hauder married Catherine E. Mull, born May 2, 1839, daughter of Henry and Theresa (Steltz) Mull, formerly of Montgomery county and later of Sinking Spring, and to this union there were born four children, namely: Solomon died when seventeen years of age; William H. died in infancy; Carrie m. James Hill, of near Wernersville, Pa.; and George, unmarried, resides with his mother.

Mrs. Hauder obtained her education in the public schools, and a private school at Reading, in charge of Prof. William Good, a former county superintendent, and is a lady of culture and refinement. She is in prosperous circumstances, and is a liberal contributor to St. Johns Church of Sinking Springs, of which she is a Reformed member, and of which Mr. Hauder was a deacon for two years.


HAUEISEN, CHARLES A.

p. 1217

Surnames: HAUEISEN, WERNER, HOLZHAUSER

Charles A. Haueisen, a well-to-do business man Reading, Pa., who is the proprietor of a sandstone yard on Buttonwood street above Sixth, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, son of William and Pauline (Werner) Haueisen, the former of whom died in 1904, the latter ten years previously.

Charles A. Haueisen received his education in the schools of his native country, and there learned the stone-cutting trade, becoming a skilled mechanic in that line. When twenty-seven years of age he came to America, landing at New York City, where he remained three months. After a short time spent in Philadelphia, Mr. Haueisen located in Reading, being engaged in working on public buildings at his trade until he established his present business in a small way, and in this he has continued to the present time, the business having grown steadily, until he is now the employer of from twenty to thirty skilled workmen. Mr. Haueisen not only finds work in Reading, but he is well known throughout the surrounding counties. Building work of all descriptions is executed in a superior manner at short notice, and Mr. Haueisen pays prompt attention to jobbing and repairs. He and his wife reside at No. 419 North Sixth street, Reading.

Mr. Haueisen married Annie Holzhauser, and to them were born: Mary, Helen, Caroline, George, Carl, Charles, Harry and Emma, the latter three of whom are deceased.

In political matters Mr. Haueisen is a Republican. He is connected with St. Pauls Catholic Church. He is a member of the Knights of St. John and the Liberty Fire Company.


HAUSER, MICHAEL

p. 1044

Surnames: HAUSER, KEIM, CHRIST, MAYER, VOGEL, CULLEN, STECKLER

Michael Hauser was a native of Baden, Germany, and he served an apprenticeship as a florist and gardener in the old country. After coming to America he traveled through a number of States, in 1834 locating in Reading, where he took charge of a large garden belonging to the late Gen. George M. Keim. Here he laid the foundation of his success, winning a good reputation among the leading people of the day. Later he purchased a small property on North Ninth street and started a truck garden of his own, and by energy and close attention to business secured a competency. In 1861 he purchased nearly one hundred acres on Centre avenue, and established there a large nursery, which he carried on as long as he lived. He began the cultivation and sale of flowers as early as 1840, and each year brought increasing demands in this branch of the business. He became one of the best practical botanists in the State. He was a prominent member of St. Pauls Roman Catholic Church, and was exceedingly generous in his contributions to religious and charitable causes. He was very anxious that Reading should be made a See city, and he presented several acres of ground to the church on which to erect a cathedral. He sold on very liberal terms some of his valuable land to the management of the Reading Dispensary, for hospital purposes. He married Barbara Christ, and their children were: Barbara married Matthias Mayer; Francis (deceased) married Mary Vogel; Mary married Peter Cullen; Theresa married David H. Steckler; Theodore resides at South Bethlehem, PA. Mr. Hauser died Oct. 23, 1873, and was laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery.


HAWK, CHARLES A

p. 1091

Surnames: HAWK, KELLER, BALL, CRAMP, WHITMAN, MILLER, RINK, LANDIS, FICK, LICHTENWALNER.

Charles A. Hawk, who has been connected with that great industry, the Reading Iron Company, for the past thirty-seven years and enjoys the distinction of being the third oldest employe in his department, is a self-made man who has acquired property and gained the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens entirely through his own efforts.

Mr. Hawk was born Sept. 9, 1848, in the Third ward of Reading, son of Charles and Alice (Keller) Hawk, the former of whom was born at Nazareth. By trade he was a machinist, and he came to Reading after marriage, working in the Philadelphia & Reading shops until he enlisted in 1864 for service in the Civil war. He was a member of Company G, 88th Pa. V.I., and died in the army at Alexandria, Va. He is one of the great army of dead that sleep at Arlington. To him and his wife, Alice Sabrina Keller, were born six children: Albert, who served in the Civil war, and died being taken prisoner; Rebecca, m. to Edwin Ball, both deceased; William, who served through the Civil war, and is now employed as an engineer at the Cramp shipyards, Philadelphia; Julius, who served during the Civil war, and died in 1900; Charles A.; Alice, m. to Absalom Whitman, and living at No. 1129 Spring street, Reading. The father was a well known citizen, a prominent member of the Lutheran Church, and in his political views he was a Republican.

Charles A Hawk attended the public schools of Reading, and began when but a boy to provide for his own needs. He worked first on the construction of the Lebanon Valley Railroad, then for a short time was employed by the Reading Iron Company, in their pipe mill, and then began to learn the molder's trade in the Philadelphia & Reading shops where he remained five years. From there he went to Cumberland, Md., for about a year, and then returned to Reading and worked at the Scott foundry, but since Feb. 4, 1872, he has been connected with the Reading Iron Company, and as mentioned above is the third oldest in his department, in this immense plant. He began work under Mr. Lewis Miller.

In 1872 Mr. Hawk married Susan Rink, daughter of David and Esther (Landis) Rink, and their children are: Mary E., m. to Harry T. Fink, a cigar maker; Alice, m. to Dr. Milton Lichtenwalner; Estella N., a graduate of the Girls' high school, Reading; and Florence R., also a graduate of the Reading High school, class of 1908. The parents of Mrs. Hawk were both born in Longswamp township, Berks county, where they were among the prominent people.

Mr. Hawk is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Republican, and is now serving as school controller of the Eleventh ward, his term expiring in 1912, a period of sixteen years service. Fraternally he belongs to Chandler Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 227, and Camp No. 89, P. O. S. of A. As long as it was in existence he was a member of Montgomery Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F. He is also a member and president of the Scott Foundry Beneficial Association, which has a membership of 146 men, and of the N. E. Republican Association. In 1883 he erected his attractive residence at No. 513 Cedar street, Reading, and he is one of the well known and universally respected citizens of that city.


HAWK, GEORGE W.

p. 370

Surnames: HAWK, SEIDEL, FRITZ, BAUER, WEIDNER

George W, Hawk, a well-known business man of Reading, Pa., engaged in the manufacture of hosiery, was born Jan. 16, 1866. in that city, son of Nathan and Lydia (Seidel) Hawk, natives of this State.

Nathan Hawk was a prominent manufacturer of wool hats for many years in Reading, on South Eleventh street, under the style of DeHart. Hawk & Co., and was one of the best known business men of his day, retiring in 1880 to enjoy the fruits of a long and active business life. He passed away in 1905, aged seventy-six years, while his wife still survives him. The children born to this worthy couple were George W.; Ida m. Sylvester Fritz, a dairyman; Anna m. John Bauer, a barber of Reading, Pa.; and Miss Laura. In politics Nathan Hawk was a stanch Republican. When the war broke out he was one of the first to enlist, and he was a member of one of the first companies to leave Reading for the front.

George W. Hawk attended public school at Reading, as well as the pay schools, and his first employment was in his father's factory. He learned the trade of dyeing, which he followed for thirteen years, and in 1897 engaged in the manufacture of hosiery on Court street, with four machines. In this industry Mr. Hawk has been immensely successful, now owning two factories, employing 400 hands. Besides, he is a member of the firm of the Hawk Knitting Company, organized by him in 1901, which also manufactures hosiery. Mr. Hawk manufactures high and medium grades of goods, which find a ready market in the Western States, also having a large Eastern trade. He employs two traveling salesmen to represent his interests throughout the United States.

In political matters Mr. Hawk is a Republican, and he is fraternally connected with the P. 0. S. of A. Mr. Hawk was married, in 1887, to Miss Emma Weidner, and two children have been born to this union: Estella and Warren. Mr. and Mrs. Hawk are members of the Reformed Church, and are very highly esteemed in the community.


HAWLEY, JESSE G.

p. 472

Surnames: HAWLEY, TRIMBLE, MEREDITH, GAUSE, YOUNG, KESSLER, RITTER, SEYFERT, QUIER

Jesse G. Hawley, lawyer, journalist and public-spirited citizen, was for over forty years a leading resident of Reading. He was born at Pughtown, Chester county, Aug. 8, 1839, and died April 19, 1903, aged sixty-three years, eight months, eleven days.

His parents were Jesse and Esther Trimble (Meredith) Hawley, and his ancestors were among the earliest settlers of eastern Pennsylvania. He first attended the South Coventry public schools, of which his uncle, James M. Meredith, was the teacher. Next he was sent to the Greenwood Dell Boarding School, in West Bradford township, taught by Jonathan Gause. Later he went to the Millersville State Normal School, and having chosen law for his profession he entered the National Law School at Poughkeepsie, N. Y.

Picture of Jesse HawleyHis studies there were interrupted for a time, and he engaged in teaching school ? a vocation which has been the stepping-stone for so many successful men. After this he taught in Amity township, Berks county, in the meanwhile reading law. In September 1859, he came to Reading, and completed his legal preparation in the office of the late Major Samuel L. Young. He was admitted to the practice of his profession in September 1860, and at the Berks Bar took his place as a speaker of force, and he won some notable victories before juries. He practiced law about four years, but it was toward journalism that the natural bent of his inclination led him. On April 1, 1864, he with the late William S. Ritter, purchased of Charles Kessler the Readinger Adler, the oldest German weekly in the United States, and the Democratic organ of the county. Mr. Hawley soon sought a wider field for his talents, and on Jan. 28, 1868, Messrs. Ritter and Hawley founded the Reading Daily Eagle. This marked the transition period in Berks county, between the day of the German newspaper and the rapidly rising tide of its successor ? the English daily. The Eagle was started as a four-page paper of six columns to a page. In the meantime they secured by purchase the Gazette and Democrat, a weekly founded about 1830, changing its name to the Weekly Eagle. Mr. Hawley brought to the field of daily newspaper work a fine physique and mature mind. He was an able writer and possessed the unerring instinct for knowing the needs of the people and supplying them. He had ideas and put them into practice. They were new, but they proved to be the foundation on which the success of the paper was built. Life, energy and enthusiasm were put into the work, and the Eagle soon began to attract attention. Mr. Hawley recognized from the start that there were two sides to every question: that each had a right to a hearing, and he readily granted it upon all occasions. He believed in printing facts and allowing the reading to draw his own conclusions. He was probably the first American newspaper publisher to establish a complete system of rural correspondence, but since then he has had a host of imitators among those who realize that local news is the prime source of a paper's success. The Eagle was a Democratic paper until 1875, when it became independent. In the meantime Mr. Hawley became sole proprietor; and having next launched the Sunday Eagle he imbued the papers as never before with his own personality. He realized at this period that the independent newspaper could perform a higher type of public service by standing aloof from all partisanship. He gave his readers all the information possible on every important subject. He believed that the people were intelligent enough to draw their own conclusions and gradually, except upon important occasions, he abandoned the editorial column. But when the situation called for an expression of opinion from the Eagle he was prompt to respond to this public duty, and he did it with vigor and without fear or favor. His newspaper is published today according to the policy laid down by him years ago, and that this has been fully justified is apparent, when it is shown that the Daily Eagle of today has a circulation of over twenty thousand, while in size it is eight columns to a page, with ten or twelve pages, according to the pressure of news and advertisements. Mr. Hawley was a strong friend of the public school system. In his earlier years he was a member of Reading's board of control, and took a prominent part in the proceedings. For years he offered prizes to the Reading high school boys for the best essay in literature, and prizes for meritorious work by pupils in the county schools. He realized that the school was the foundation of the true greatness of the State, and he did much to advance the cause of education. He was a contributor to every worthy object, though in many cases his name was not connected with the giving. He was ever enterprising and progressive in his ideas. He devoted his newspaper to building up and advancing the interests of his community and never for the purpose of striking down either an organization or an individual. Though he wielded power, he never used it to advance his own interests but remained until the end a splendid example of the independent editor. He left a lasting impression on the community in which he lived.

Mr. Hawley married, Dec. 15, 1863, Kate E. Ritter, daughter of the late Louis Ritter. When the Reading Eagle Company was formed in 1904, Mrs. Hawley became president in which capacity she served until her death, June 1, 1906. Two daughters remain: Edith, wife of William Seyfert; and Helen, wife of Edwin A. Quier. Mr. Seyfert is now president of the corporation, and Mr. Quier vice-president.


HAWMAN, PENROSE W.

p. 1276

Surnames: HAWMAN, ESSER, HENRY, HIESTER, STREAKER, MOYER, GOODFELLOW, LIGHTCAP, TOMLINSON, NEWLIN, EMMEL, GYLES, CAVINDER

Penrose W. Hawman, member of the firm of Hawman Brothers, general contractors at Reading, and one of the best known and most enterprising business men and citizens of that city, was born there Jan. 22, 1858, son of Henry Reigard and Emma Esser (Henry) Hawman, the former a native of Lancaster and a son of Peter and Catherine Susanna (Hiester) Hawman.

Peter Hawman, grandfather of Penrose W., was born in the city of Lancaster, a son of the emigrant ancestor of the family in America. He was well known in the business world of Lancaster, where he died, and was at one time sheriff of the county. He was also a veteran of the war of 1812, in which he rendered distinguished service. He married Catherine Susanna Hiester, daughter of Isaac Hiester, and member of one of the early Lancaster county families. Their children were: Annie C., who died unmarried; Elizabeth C., m. to Benjamin Streaker, and killed on the Pennsylvania railroad, leaving children ? Frank, Harry, Charles, Edward, Mary, Susan and Emma; Henry Reigard, father of Penrose W.; Mary H., m. to Levi Moyer, of Reading; William H., a chairmaker, who died in Lancaster county; and Peter, who died young.

Henry Reigard Hawman, father of Penrose W., was born March 11, 1822, at Lancaster, PA., and learned the molders trade. He moved to Reading when eighteen years of age and entered the foundry of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, where he became foreman. After remaining there ten years he became a co-partner in the Reading Industrial Works and in the Bertolette Foundry at the foot of Court street until the latter was destroyed by fire in 1856. He then conducted a restaurant in the Old State House building, and besides catering to the public he relieved many distressed families who applied for aid, and was the originator of the public relief society. In 1861 he began contracting and continued until his last illness. He was identified with the construction of a number of railroads, among which were the Reading & Columbia, Philadelphia & Erie, and the New York Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He was also engaged on the Berks County Prison extension and the Philadelphia & Reading round houses, car shops and passenger station. For many years he took an active part in politics, and from 1862 to 1865 was county commissioner, from 1867 to 1869 represented the Seventh ward in the common council, and from 1872 to 1875 in the select council. He was bank assessor for Berks and Lebanon counties by appointment from the auditor general of Pennsylvania, and he was a delegate to county, State and National democratic conventions. On Aug. 12, 1846, he was raised a Mason in Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M., and in 1853 and 1854 served as worshipful master and in 1856 and 1857 as treasurer; he also belongs to Reading Chapter No. 152, R. A. M., and was past eminent commander of DeMolay Commandery, No. 9, K. T. He died at Reading May 4, 1879, and was buried with Masonic honors in the Charles Evans cemetery. He married Emma Esser Henry, and their children were: William H., P. Frank, Albert H., Penrose W., George K., Harry E., Charles H., and two others ? Charles Edward Howard and Charles Howard ? both of whom died very young.

Albert H. Hawman, brother of Penrose W. and senior member of the contracting firm of Hawman Brothers, was born in Reading Sept. 22, 1853, and was educated in the public schools of the city, leaving in the last year of high school, when his father, a large contractor, needed his services. At the age of eighteen he became an assistant to his father, and in 1883 he and his brother Penrose W. formed a partnership under the firm name of Hawman Brothers. This firm as described below is most active and successful. Mr. Albert H. Hawman has general supervision of all work the company undertakes.

On June 27, 1877, Mr. Hawman married Miss Lillian Goodfellow, daughter of Isaiah and Rebecca (Lightcap) Goodfellow, of Reading. To this union have been born two children: (1) Dr. Erle G., born in Reading Sept. 1, 1881. He was graduated from the Reading high school June 29, 1899, and from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania June 15, 1904. He was resident physician at St. Josephs Hospital, Reading, from June, 1904, to July, 1905, and at the Berks County Hospital from April, 1906, to November, 1907, when he resigned and went to Philadelphia, and did post-graduate work until Sept., 1908, when he returned to Reading and located at No. 131 North Fifth street, where he is engaged as a specialist in diseases of the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat. He is a member of the Reading, Berks County, and State Medical Societies and of the American Medical Association. Fraternally he belongs to Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M.; Reading Lodge of Perfection, 14th degree; Philadelphia Consistory, 32nd degree; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. (2) Vera L. graduated from the Reading high school June 23, 1904, and from Ossining School, Ossining-on-the-Hudson, June 6, 1905. She is at home. The family residence is at No. 13 South Tenth street, Reading. Mr. Albert H. Hawman is connected with Reading Lodge, No. 549, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and the Royal Arcanum. He and his family are members of Grace Lutheran church, of which for a number of years he was an official.

David Goodfellow, paternal grandfather of Mrs. Hawman, was originally from Lycoming county, Pa., but later located in Reading. He was of Scotch descent. Isaiah Goodfellow, son of David, and father of Mrs. Hawman, was born in 1810, and died March 21, 1888. He married Rebecca Lightcap, born in 1815, daughter of John Lightcap (a member of an old Quaker family of Pennsylvania, who lived in Montgomery county). She died Jan. 9, 1894, and both she and her husband are buried in the Charles Evans cemetery.

Penrose W. Hawman received his education in the public schools of his native city, graduating from the high school in the class of 1876, and in the same year was confirmed in the Lutheran church, becoming a member of St. James parish. In 1877 he began to learn the trade of machinist with the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, in the old shops on Seventh and Chestnut streets. He was possessed of mechanical ability of a high order, and was soon advanced out of the apprentice class, continuing to rise and to give satisfaction during the entire eleven years he remained in the employ of the company. In 1889 he made his first venture in the contracting business, and his first work was the construction of a sewer from Second and Washington streets to Court and Canal, and under the paper mills of the city. With his brother as his partner, Mr. Hawman has gradually extended the scope of his operations and the firm of Hawman Brothers has become known far beyond the confines of its own city. Among the important contracts intrusted to them and successfully carried out may be mentioned the following: Two additional tracks for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, between Reading and Tuckertown, and in this they did all the work incidental to it, including grading and bridges; a number of railroads, trolley roads and sewers all over the country; twenty miles of railroad for the Long Island Railroad Company; many bridges for the Philadelphia & Reading road on different parts of the system; the first concrete sewer ever constructed in Reading ? this was in the early nineties ? and since then many others for the city; several sewers and trolley lines in Trenton, N. J., and the trolley line from Trenton to Trenton Junction, a distance of four miles; an addition to the Phoenixville Water Supply; and in 1900-01 all the buildings and Pipe line of the Lebanon water supply for the city of Lebanon, Pa., in which they installed everything needed. On April 5, 1909, they completed the Spring street subway for the city of Reading. The number of men in their employ varies according to the magnitude of the work engaged upon ? sometimes requiring sixty men, while at others they have a pay-roll of 2,000. That success has attended their efforts speaks well for the business ability of the brothers, as well as for their mechanical ability. They are strictly honest and fair in their dealings, and their workmanship is always of the best possible. They take just pride in turning over to the corporations employing them, work that will stand the test of years, and they have a reputation equaled by few, excelled by none. Mr. Penrose W. Hawman is a man of large business capacity, and with the ability to see and understand almost intuitively the needs of construction in a work vast enough to make most men stand aghast at its daring conception.

In his political faith Mr. Hawman is a stanch Democrat. He is a Mason of high degree, belonging to Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M.; Reading Lodge of Perfection; Harrisburg Consistory; and Rajah Temple, Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of Reading Lodge, No. 155, B. P. O. E.; and the Royal Arcanum.

In 1896 Mr. Hawman married Miss Laura Edna Tomlinson, daughter of Lewis Kendall and Emily Jane (Newlin) Tomlinson. They have one daughter, Claire Dorothy.

The Tomlinson family was founded in America by the great-grandfather of Mrs. Hawman, who came from England in young manhood, and settled in New Jersey, where he reared a family. One of his sons, David, born in New Jersey in 1798, became a produce dealer in Philadelphia market, and died at the age of fifty-two years; he married Nancy Ann Emmel, of Cumberland, N. J., and had three children, Henry E., Lewis Kendall and a daughter that died in infancy. Lewis Kendall Tomlinson was born in Camden, N. J., Oct. 13, 1848, and in his youth learned the potters trade, which he carried on until 1890, when he moved to Reading, and was variously employed until April 1, 1898, then moving to Vaughan, N. C., and farming one summer. Returning to Reading he remained until 1894, when he purchased a small place in Mt. Penn, and there has since resided. He married Dec. 25, 1871, Emily Jane Newlin, daughter of William K. and Ann Eliza (Gyles) Newlin, and granddaughter of John and Elizabeth (Cavinder) Newlin. Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson have had eight children: N. Robert, Laura Edna, Lewis B. (deceased), Maggie E., Josephine, Ross K., Blanche T. and Lewis V. (deceased)


HAWS, JOHN W.

p. 1576

Surnames: HAWS, WESTLEY, HENRY, BROWN, HUYETT, REISER, KENN, HUBER, DETEMPLE, SEIFERT, MARCH

John W. Haws, late of Robeson township, Berks county, was born Oct. 12, 1838, on the farm which he owned and lived upon, and where he died Oct. 27, 1908. He was a son of Samuel and Mary A. (Westley) Haws, and grandson of George Haws.

George Haws, the grandfather, was a wheelwright by trade, and followed that occupation all his life, in connection also tilling a small piece of land now owned by L. R. Henry, in Robeson township. He and his wife had these children: Margaret (married John Brown), Samuel (father of John W.), John and Mrs. Huyett (who died when a young woman). In religious belief the family were Lutherans. Mr. Haws was a Democrat in his political opinion.

Samuel Haws was born April 18, 1792, on the old homestead in Robeson township, and learned the wheelwright's trade from his father, engaging in that business and in farming until his death, in 1868, at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died in 1862. Their children were: Maria, John W., Rebecca, George, Mary Ann and Ruth, the two last named dying young.
Picture of John W. Haws John W. Haws was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and from his youth engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was enterprising and thrifty, and accumulated considerable property, becoming the owner of two farms in Robeson township, of 169 and 128 acres, respectively, and another on in Chester county, of thirty-four acres.

Mr. Haws married Mary Ann Reiser, daughter of George Reiser, of Cumru township, Berks county, and five children were born to this union: Mary Ellen m. Owen Kenn, and has had one child, John Harold; Margaret R. m. Myers N. Huber, and has had three children, Paul F., Oscar M. and Sarah M.; Emma May m. Edward Detemple, and has had Irene, Esther and Elsie; George R. m. Gertrude May Seifert, and has had two children, George Ellsorth and Mary Ethel; John R. m. Mary F. March, and has a son, John March.

In politics Mr. Haws was a Democrat, and he held a number of township offices. During the war he was drafted, but sent a substitute. He was a Lutheran in religion, and is buried at St. John's Union Church in Robeson township. His death was a marked loss to his county, for he was a good citizen and a kind neighbor.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:28 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.