Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

HAAG, A.W.

p. 607 Surnames: HAAG, WENRICH, ECK, FEGLEY, FISHER, HECK, CRAIG, MILLER, RAMBO, WINK

A. W. Haag, a prosperous business man of Reading, carrying on a large millwrighting business on the corner of Walnut and Third streets, was born Feb. 15, 1851, in North Heidelberg township, Berks Co., Pa., a son of Joel and Susanna (Wenrich) Haag.

His education was obtained in the schools at Bernville and from youth he took care of himself. In 1868 he went to California and helped build the Union Pacific railroad, and was one of the party to travel on the first train over the route. Upon his return he went to Luzerne county and there worked at sawmill work, having some acquaintances there, and worked also at Allentown. In 1875 he went to Fleetwood and worked on what was the invention of the Haag Reliance Turbine Water Wheel, superintending the setting up of the same, until 1894. Mr. Haag then came to Reading and established his business at the foot of Chestnut street, but in 1896 he opened his present place of business where he has a fine establishment equipped with all kinds of modern machinery for millwrighting. He makes a specialty of equipping dye works. He is a thoroughly competent machinist and stands very high in the trade.

In 1873 Mr. Haag was married to Sevilla Eck and they have eleven children, namely: Katherine, m. to W. L. Fegley; Charles, m. to Jennie Rambo; Sarah, m. to Samuel Fegley; John A., m. to Ada Heck; George, m. to Blanche E. Wink; Elizabeth, m. to E. S. Fisher; May m. to John Craig; Caroline, m. to E. Miller; Adam W., Jr.; William P. and James H. Mr. Haag is a member of the United Evangelical Church. He is fraternally connected with the Knights of Pythias. While in Fleetwood he was a member of the council, and for a number of years school trustee. He was also secretary of the board of town councilmen of Fleetwoodwood for six years. Mr. Haag is very well known in the city of Reading, where he is highly esteemed for his many sterling traits of character.


HAAGE, GEORGE DeTEMPLE

p. 1183

Surnames: HAAGE, BETTIG, DeTEMPLE, DRAESCKE, MAYERS, MOTER, REUSS, SHERWOOD GEORGE DE TEMPLE HAAGE George DeTemple Haage the organist of St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church in Reading, Pa., pianist and instructor on the piano and organ, was born July 3, 1873, near Landis Store, Berks Co., Pa., son of George K. and Mary (De Temple) Haage.

George K. Haage, who followed agricultural pursuits until his retirement, died May 3, 1906, in Reading, aged seventy years, while his wife, Mary De Temple, is still living. They had children: Emma, Albert, Rosie, J. Augustus, Ambrose and George D. They were all reared in the faith of the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Haage was a Democrat in political matters.

George D. Haage received his education in the public schools of Landis Store and Douglassville, his parents removing to the latter place when he was seven years old, and he was fourteen when they came to Reading. His first employment was as a clerk in the grocery store of George Mayers, after which he spent five years in Edward's music store in Reading, at the same time studying piano with Mr. Berg and Carl Moter. He then made a trip to Europe to pursue his musical studies, and remained at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Dresden for three years, then taking private instruction for one year. His instructors in Dresden were Edward Reuss and Percy Sherwood on the piano, and Felix Draescke in theory and composition. He returned to Reading in 1902, and since his return he has devoted his entire attention to teaching and concert work. Prof. Haage is a young man of considerable genius and since the spring of 1903 has been organist at St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, being one of the first to introduce the Gregorian Chant in this country and to instruct a male choir therein. He is also director of the Reading Liederkranz, a popular German singing society of forty-five men.

In 1906 Prof. Haage married Theresa Bettig, daughter of Eugene Bettig, of Reading, and on June 8, 1907, their union was blessed with a daughter, Angela. The Professor is a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Literary and Social Union, the Knights of St. John, the Musical Club of Reading, and the Verband Deutscher Chor-dirigenten von Amerika. His home is at No. 226 South Fifth street.


HAAK, GEORGE E.

p. 624

Surnames: HAAK, KRAUSE, ADDAMS, ROBINSON, MUNCE, RHOADS, KEFFER

George E. Haak is widely acquainted in and known around Reading as proprietor of the Sienna Paint, Kaolin & Sand Works, being particularly well known among builders. His reputation in fraternal societies is even more extensive, his services in forming and promoting such organizations in this part of Pennsylvania having been particularly valuable.

The Haak family has long been represented among the prosperous agricultural class of Berks county. John Jacob Haak, the first American ancestor of George E., sailed from Deal, England, on the ship Mortonhouse, John Coulter, master, June 15, 1728, and arrived Aug. 24th of the same year. In that same year he is noted as a member of the Lutheran Church at Tulpehocken, Berks county.

John Haak, the grandfather of George E., was a farmer and large landowner in Alsace township, this county. He married Elizabeth Krause, a native of Berks county, and they had a family of five children, namely: William, Isaac, John, Rebecca (Mrs. Addams) and Michael. They were Lutherans in religious faith, and in politics John Haak supported the Whig party, and later the Republican.

Michael Haak, son of John, was born in 1803 in Berks county, was reared to farming, and continued to follow that calling all his life. Like his father he was a Lutheran in religion and a Republican in politics. He married Sarah Addams, and to them were born the following named children: Annie E. m. William A. Robinson; Mary C. m. Thomas Munce; George E. is mentioned below; Clara V. m. John H. Rhoads.

Picture of George E. HaakGeorge E. Haak was born Oct. 3, 1842 in Leesport, Berks county, Pa., and received his education in the public schools of Alsace township, Lititz, Lancaster Co., Pa., and Reading. In 1874 he formed a partnership with Francis Keffer, conducting a glass and queensware business at No. 520 Penn street and continuing thus for three and a half years. After this experience he engaged in business for himself at No. 312 Penn street in the same line, continuing for ten years, and after the death of his father he took charge of the Haak estate, of which he had been appointed executor under the provisions of his fathers will. This estate comprises 229 acres in East Reading, which at that time was counted among the most valuable land in Berks county, the finest deposits of kaolin and sienna in the United States being located thereon. It also contains a valuable sand deposit, unequalled anywhere in the State, the product of which has been approved and adopted by the Reading school board for their buildings, in the construction of which no other sand is used. Mr. Haak furnishes sand and other products to many of the principal builders of Reading. He was one of the organizers of the Schuylkill Valley Bank, and served as a director of that institution for five years.

Mr. Haak is a man of note in social organizations, in which he has taken the deepest interest for a number of years. He has a nature which attracts and holds friendship, as is evidenced by his influential standing in a number of fraternities. He is past master of Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M.; past high priest of Excelsior Chapter, No. 237; past eminent commander of Reading Commandery, No. 42 K. T.; and a prominent member of Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Reading, of which he was the organizer and first potentate. Mr. Haak was the first member at Reading in both the Knights of the Golden Eagle and the Royal Arcanum; he was the first captain of a fully equipped company in Philadelphia and first major of the battalion.


HAAS, ALLISON F.

p. 1205

Surnames: HAAS, BERGEY, YOE, DAUTRICH, DEEM, DALE, BOWER, BROWN, GOODFELLOW

Allison F. Haas, manufacturer of confectionery and ice cream, at the corner of Schuylkill avenue and Buttonwood streets, Reading, was born June 14, 1855, in Centre township, Berks Co., Pa., son of Nicholas and Elizabeth ( Bergey ) Haas.

The grandfather of our subject at one time was a prominent farmer in Bern township, but through endorsing a note for a friend lost all his property.

Nicholas Haas, father of Allison F., came to Reading at an early day and engaged in the quarrying of stone. By an unexpected explosion when engaged in his work, he was crippled for the rest of his life. The Philadelphia & Reading Railroad found in him a faithful watchman at Peacock? Cut, where he remained on duty until his death in 1884, when he was aged seventy- two years. He was a stanch Democrat and at one time served as constable in Bern township. Prior to railroad transportation, he carried and distributed the old Reading Adler, a weekly paper, to the different farm houses all over the township. His wife, Elizabeth (Bergey ), died in 1885, aged sixty- four years. They had these children: Adam; Benjamin; Levi, with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad; Mary, m. to Edward Yoe; Caroline, m. to Mahlon Dautrich, of Reading; Frank and John, with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad; Allison F.; and Ellen L., m. to Henry Deem. Nicholas Haas was well known and both he and wife were much esteemed.

Allison F. Haas received his education in the schools of Centre township, but came to Reading while still a boy. His first employment was driving mules on the canal for the Schuylkill Navigation Company, and after a year with them he hired in the same capacity to a Mr. Goodfellow. He became a part owner of the canal boat "Memento." In the fall of 1875 he quit the canal and engaged as brakeman on the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, where he continued until 1878, when he became fireman, and in 1883 he was recommended by Supt. E. Dale for the position of engineer on the Schuylkill & Lehigh Railroad, soon receiving this important appointment on the main line.

Mr. Haas remained in this position until 1907, and has made a fine record. On no occasion has the train which he commands either killed or severely injured a single person, testifying to his care and devotion to duty. He was held in high esteem by his employers. In 1892, with his son, under the firm name of Haas & Son, he opened up a confectionery and ice cream store at the place above mentioned and the business prospered. The partnership was dissolved in 1907, and Mr. Haas is now conducting the business alone under his own name.

In 1878 Mr. Haas married Valeria Bower, of Leesport, Pa., and they have two children, namely: Herbert, who married Hannah E. Brown, and has had three children -- Bertha M., Caroline V. and Ralph H. (deceased ); and Merritt.

Mr. Haas is a member of Camp No. 689, P. O. S. of A.; also Schuylkill Fire Company, No. 12, of Reading.


HAAS, FRANKLIN

p. 1121

Surnames: HAAS, HAWS, ESHBACH, BERTOLET, MINNER, LAUCKS, NINE, YOUSE, TALLIE, RHOADS, HOPPES, FRANCIS, GULDIN, BEIDEMAN, MATTHIAS, HARTMAN, BECK, McLEAR

Franklin Haas , farmer and shoemaker above Monocacy, in Amity township, Berks county, was born where he now lives Oct. 5, 1845. The name Haas is also spelled Haws, but Haas is the more common spelling. The early home of the family was in Germany.

George Haas, according to the Federal census report of 1790, was a resident of Ruscombmanor township, Berks county, and was the head of a family consisting of five persons, including himself and wife, Catharine, and three sons under sixteen years of age. George Haas was a farmer, and is probably buried at Lobachsville. His three sons were: (1) Abraham is mentioned in full below. (2) George made his home in Ruscombmanor township, and there died in 1859, his will on record in Will Book 10, page 583, making ample provision for his second wife, Susanna, and children -- Reuben, William, George, Joel, James, Elizabeth, Louisa and Susanna. (3) Johannes, born May 15, 1791, was a peddler, and died Jan. 7, 1862, and was buried at Friedensburg, as were also his wife Catharine Eshbach (1794-1853) and daughter Maria (1817-1853). Joel Haas, son of George and Susanna, and grandson of George the founder, had a son who now operates the Bertolet mill near Friedensburg, in Oley township; his wife, Elizabeth Minner, has borne him six children-- Allen, Howard, Edwin, Eli, Lizzie and Grace.

Abraham Haas, son of George, was born Sept. 13, 1788, and died March 13, 1855. He was a stone mason by trade, and owned a small tract of land in Oley township, near Friedensburg. He married Maria Laucks, born Feb. 5, 1792, and died on her birthday Feb. 5, 1847. They are both buried at Friedensburg. They had thirteen children, namely: David; Henrietta, born 1814, died 1851, unmarried; Daniel, born 1815, died 1851; Maria, born 1819, m. Daniel Nine, and died 1851; Willi never married; Emma m. Levi Youse; Jemima, born 1827, died 1851; Catharine m. Wister Tallie; Joel L., born 1831, died 1901; Anna Rebecca, born 1833, m. Aaron M. Rhoads, and died 1903; Amelia m. Daniel Hoppes; Jeremiah, born 1826, died unmarried 1851; and Charles died aged two years.

David Haas, son of Abraham, was born in Oley township, Oct. 6, 1811, and died Sept. 26, 1887. By trade he was a stone mason, and this he followed the greater part of his time around Amity township. He bought the farm which is now the property of his son Franklin in 1840, but it then consisted of but fifteen acres, to which, however, he in time added twenty-six acres more, the son having since added the remainder. He was a self-made man, and he died respected by all who knew him. He and his wife are buried at Amityville, where they were Lutheran members of the church, and he is a member of the vestry. He married Catharine Francis, born Jan. 20, 1814, daughter of Jacob Francis, of Amity township, and she died Nov. 5, 1877. They had three children: Mary m. Jacob Guldin; Matilda, born 1843, died unmarried 1899; and Franklin.

Franklin Haas received his education in the public schools which he attended until he was sixteen years of age. He learned the shoemaking trade from his uncle William Francis, with whom he served eight months, when Mr. Francis gave up his work. Mr. Haas then went to Boyertown, and served a year as apprentice, after which he worked as journeyman at Douglassville for three years. In 1869 he began business for himself at his present home. He did a great deal of custom work for many years. He made his home with his parents as long as they lived, and after their deaths the farm became his, and he has divided his time between farming and his trade. He taught one man the trade, and while he himself has given up the making of new shoes, he still does cobbling for the neighbors. His farm is delightfully situated on the road from Monocacy to Yellowhouse, and it consists of ninety-three acres of good land, all brought to a high state of cultivation. Two streams of fresh water and plenty of wood are attractive features of the place. In politics Mr. Haas is a Democrat, and for six years he served as a member of the school board, and he has been delegate to a number of county conventions. With his family he attends Amityville Church, of which they are Lutheran members. He served as deacon and elder for a number of years.

On May 28, 1873, Mr. Haas married Margaret Rhoads, daughter of David S. and Rebecca (Beideman) Rhoads, of Amity. Their children are: David, a carpenter of Amity, m. Miani Matthias; Mary m. Henry Hartman, a carpenter of Amity; Oscar, who lives near his father, m. Mame Beck; Walter, a farmer in Amity, m. Lizzie McLear; and James, who assists his father on the farm, is unmarried.


HAAS, ISAAC

p. 897

Surnames: HAAS, BLATT, DEPPEN, DUBBS, DUNN, FIEMAN, FORRY, HOLDEMAN, HUBER, KALBACH, KLOPP, MILLER, NEWCOMER, POTTEIGER, SHERMAN, SHUGAR, STAMM, SWOPE, ZIGLER

Isaac Haas, one of Tulpehocken township's representative citizens, who is extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits, was born April 8, 1843, in Bethel township, son of George and Maria (Deppen) Haas.

Daniel Haas, grandfather of Isaac, was a prominent citizen of Reading, Pa., where he died in middle life. He was the father of four children: Benjamin, a resident of Klopp's Store and later of Womelsdorf, where he died aged about eighty years; George, the father of Isaac; and two whose names are not recorded.

George Haas was reared near Klopp's Store, being apprenticed to a Mr. Kalbach until of age, when he learned the art of weaving linens, carpets, etc. and also the coloring thereof. He subsequently engaged in the hotel business along the canal between Klopp's Store and Mount Pleasant, and remained in this business for four years, when he purchased a farm near Mount Aetna and engaged in weaving and farming. Later he purchased a tract of more than 240 acres, to which he moved and there he died in April, 1890, aged eighty-seven years. He married Maria Deppen, who preceded him to the grave by about eighteen years, and they were the parents of these children: (1) Rebecca died unmarried aged about seventy-four years; (2) Edward was a farmer of near Meckville, but later retired and moved to Hamlin, Lebanon county; he had one child, Sophia (m. Jeremiah Swope); (3) Harriet married Daniel Klopp, a farmer of Livengood's Mill, and had two children - Maria (m. Jacob Zigler) and Peter (m. Fyetta Potteiger, and died in early life); (4) Catherine m. John Stamm, and died on a farm near Mount Aetna; she had three children - John Henry, Clara and Isaac; (5) Jonathan m. Mary Miller, by whom he had seven children; he moved to Indianapolis, Ind., and there died; (6) Maria m. John Forry, lived Below Rehrersburg, and had two children - Jonathan and Catherine (m. Frank Fieman); (7) Emma m. Henry Shugar, and resided near Schaefferstown, where she died when comparatively young, the mother of six children - James, John, William, George, Mary and Emma; (8) Isaac.

Isaac Haas was educated in the district schools of his native locality, and until his marriage assisted his father on the home farm. When twenty-three years of age he married Lovina Dubbs, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Dunn) Dubbs, and they now reside on one of their farms north of Mount Aetna. To Mr. and Mrs. Haas the following children have been born: Landis S., a miller of Myerstown, is now operating for the American Iron & Steel Company, in Lebanon county (m. Susan Newcomer, daughter of Theodore Newcomer, and they had two children, both deceased); Emma E. died single, aged twenty-eight years; Hiram T., who graduated from the Keystone State Normal school, took a course in shorthand and typewriting at Pierce School, Philadelphia, completing the course in 1905, and has since been engaged in school teaching in Berks and Lebanon counties (m. Bertha Sherman, daughter of Simon and Alwilda (Blatt) Sherman); George Edwin operates one of his father's farms at Mount Aetna (m. Sadie Holdeman, daughter of Frank and Lizzie (Miller) Holdeman, and they have one child, Ammon F.); and Mary K. m. Henry Huber, and resides in Hamlin, where they conduct a general store.

The family are members of Rehersburg Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Haas has been deacon and elder. In politics he is a Democrat, and he has been delegate to county conventions, and has held the office of assistant assessor and other township positions.


HACKMAN, HENRY D.

p. 1179

Surnames: HACKMAN, KALER, YERGER

Henry D. Hackman. In naming the representative citizens of Berks county Pa., whose success in any one line, or a number of lines entitles them to special attention, we come to Henry D. Hackman, who as an example of a self-made man claims a place of distinction in this record.

Mr. Hackman was born at Womelsdorf, son of Henry and Charlotte Hackman, and was educated in the borough schools. In 1871 he was licensed to teach and followed teaching for a number of years. In 1891 he saw fit to enter the cigar business for himself, made an unusual success of it, and several years afterward erected his present factory. From the start Mr. Hackman's policy has been to manufacture only high grade, hand-made, Havana-filled cigars, and throughout, this standard has been maintained. His brands of "Old Master" and "Lucy Gray" in the five-cent line, and "Bessie Kenton" in the ten-cent line, are known through the length and breadth of the country.

Mr. Hackman has served his town in a number of ways. He was a member of the school board and council for fifteen years, eight of which he was president of council. In 1906 he was instrumental in starting the Y. M. C. A. in Womelsdorf.

Mr. Hackman married Mary Agnes Kaler, daughter of Charles and Mary (Yerger) Kaler, of Lebanon, Pa. To this union five sons were born, viz.: Walter K., H. Bertram, C. Kaler, R. Wright, and W. Huber. Mr. Hackman and his family have many friends.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:22 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.