Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

GULDIN, CHARLES R.

p. 1671

Surnames: GULDIN, HARTMAN, JACK, RHOADS, DAVIDHEISER, GEIGER, BERTOLET, LODER, YEAGER, BRUMBACH, STOTT, HAINS, YOST.

Charles R. Guldin, merchant at Philadelphia, was born at yellow House, in Berks county, on Nov. 9, 1869, and received his education in the local schools and at Franklin and Marshall College. In 1887 he went to Wilmington, Del., and engaged in the ship chandlery business for three years, when he located at Reading, Pa., as a partner in the firm of A. S. Hartman & Co., for the manufacture of cigars, and he continued with this firm for five years. He then traveled in the Western States for a year.

Upon his return to Reading, he embarked in the local express business and in five years succeeded in establishing a popular line, having several teams, which reached all parts of the city. An opportunity having been afforded to engage in the produce and meat business, he sold the express line and removed to Philadelphia, where he has been operating four stores in a successful manner until the present time.

Mr. Guldin married Odella Bertolet Jack, daughter of Dr. John A. Jack, of Friedensburg, in Oley township and by her he has two children: Carroll Jack and Hannah Josephine.

His father was John Frederick Guldin, brought up on a farm, who taught public school for several terms, and was associated with his father in the mule business for many years. He died in 1872, aged forty-seven years. He was married to Hannah Rhoads (daughter of Abraham Rhoads of Oley), by whom he had eight children: Samuel (m. Anna Davidheiser); Ella; Emily (m. J. F. D. Geiger); Catharine (m. Nelson Bertolet, and after his decease, Dr. A. Grant Loder); John (m. Susan Rhoads); Charles Rhoads; and two died in infancy. His wife died in 1872, aged forty years.

His grandfather was Samuel Guldin, of Oley, engaged in the cattle and mule business for many years near the Yellow House, more especially during the Civil war, when he supplied the U. S. Government with thousands of mules for army purposes, which gave him great prominence and influence. He died in 1872. He married Elizabeth Yeager, by whom he had five children: Simon Peter; John Frederick (above); Elam Yeager; Mary Ann; and Sophia Henrietta. He was a lineal descendant of Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, who emigrated to Pennsylvania from Switzerland in 1710, and served with great distinction as a minister of the Reformed denomination in the Schuylkill Valley for over thirty years until he died, in 1745, at the age of eighty-one years.

Mrs. Guldin's father was Dr. John Andrew Jack, a practicing physician and surgeon for twenty-five years. He was born in Montgomery county, near Pottstown, in 1837; attended Hill School and the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from the medical department of the latter in 1862. He served in the Civil war as a surgeon, and upon being mustered out of service, located at Boyertown, where he practiced his profession for several years and then removed to Friedensburg where he continued in active and successful practice until he died, in 1887. He married Emma Josephine Bertolet (daughter of Levi J., and lineal descendant of Jean, the emigrant, in 1726), by whom he had five children: Edwina B. (m. William D. Brumbach); Odella B. (above); Henrietta B. (m. Henry G. Stott); Sarah B.; and Carroll B. (m. Elizabeth Hains). Dr. Jack's father was Thomas Jefferson Jack, of Montgomery county, who married Sarah Yost, and the Doctor was their only child.


GULDIN, CYRUS Q.

p. 692

Surnames: GULDIN, ESHBACH, GRIM, BROWN, MILLER, BRUMBACH, LEINBACH. RUNYEON, STROHECKER, PRINTZ, BUTZ

Cyrus Q. Guldin, one of the leading business men of Reading, Pa., who is president of the Reading Cold Storage & Ice Company, was born in Colebrookdale township, Berks county, May 25, 1860, son of Horace N. and Elizabeth M. (Eshbach) Guldin, and grandson of John and Maria (Grim) Guldin.

John Guldin, also a native of Berks county, was a farmer and ran a saw mill in his native locality. He was a member of no church, although he favored the Reformed denomination, and was a good Christian and excellent neighbor. He and his wife had these children: Edward, Henry, James, Cyrus, Mary and Horace N.

Horace N. Guldin was educated in the schools of Boyertown, and in early life engaged in school teaching, later, however, becoming an agriculturist. He is now living retired at New Berlinville, where he has many friends. His wife, Elizabeth M. Eshbach, who died in 1898, aged sixty-two years, bore him these children: James; Cyrus Q.; Delilah (m. Reuben Brown); and Laura (m. Levi Miller).

Cyrus Q. Gulden was educated in the schools of his native township and also in Montgomery county. In 1891, with A. J. Brumbach, J. G. Leinbach, George O. Runyeon, J. A. Strohecker and John H. Printz, deceased, he formed the Reading Cold Storage Company, and was elected president thereof, a position which he has held continuously to the present time. The plant was consolidated in 1900, it being at Read and Elm streets. It has a capacity of sixty tons, and the storage house has 200,000 cubic feet of space. Mr. Guldin is also superintendent of the Glenside Land Company, and the Glenside Water Company; director of the Bramcote Land Company; president of the Exchange Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of Philadelphia, and superintendent of the Angelica Water & Ice Company. He is also prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of Stichtler Lodge, No. 254, F. & A. M., of which he is past master, and a member of the chapter; Nativity Commandery of Pottstown, Pa., and the Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Since 1900 he has made his home in Reading.

In 1882 Mr. Guldin married Lillie Butz, daughter of George W. Butz, of Pottstown, and to them there has been born one child: Elizabeth, who is now engaged in the study of music and art.


GULDIN FAMILY

p 451

Surnames: GULDIN, PETER, BARTOLET, HILSAWECK, GELTBACK, CRONRATH, YEAGER, RHOADS, GEIGER, BERTOLET, LODER, LORAH

The early home of the Guldin family was at St. Gall, Switzerland, where records of it are found as far back as 1529 A.D. The first of the name found in America was the Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, who left Hamburg, Germany, July 1, 1710, and landed at Philadelphia Sept. 24, 1710. From him descended all the Guldins in the eastern part of the State. He was the leader of the church Pietists in Switzerland, and the spiritual forerunner of the Reformed church in Pennsylvania. In Switzerland the Guldin family is almost extinct, there being but six representatives of this once powerful name-one man, one boy and four women.

(I) The Rev. Samuel K. Guldin spent the first forty-six years of his life in Switzerland, Holland and Germany. In 1718 he made a brilliant defense of the Pietists which has been incorporated into church history. In 1710 he wrote a letter in which he states that he bought a farm in Oley township, Berks county, Pa. He lived at Roxboro and there died. In this letter he mentions these children: Samuel M., seventeen; Maria Catherine, fourteen; Christoffel, thirteen; and Emanuel Frederick, eleven years of age.

(II) Samuel M. Guldin learned blacksmithing and then together with Engel Peter and a Mr. Bartolet, all blacksmiths, went to Oley, then known as "The Land of Great Trees," about the year 1718. Each built a log house, and began to clear the land. These houses were built somewhere along what is now the public road from "The Yellow House" and Friedensburg. On May 22, 1722, Samuel M. Guldin married Elizabeth Hilsaweck. Their children were: Samuel, born July 12, 1723; Susanna, Oct. 5, 1724; John, Feb 22, 1726; Mary Magdalene, Aug. 26, 1728; Frederick, Aug. 2, 1729; Daniel H., Johanna Esther (twins), April 20, 1735; and Clara Elizabeth, Sept. 17, 1738.

Berks county was incorporated in 1752 and Samuel M. Guldin was one of its first county commissioners. At that time there were still Indians in the county, and without doubt this ancestor bore his part in defending the people and exterminating the dreaded foe. The records show that at least three of his children married and reared families.

(III) Daniel H. Guldin, son of Samuel M. Guldin and his wife Elizabeth, was born April 20, 1735, and he died Aug. 17, 1817. In 1762 he married Catherine Elizabeth Geltback, and she died about 1785. Their children were: Samuel G., 1763-1769; Daniel G., 1764-1845; John Jacob, 1766-1826; Samuel G., 1769-1775; John G., 1770-1852; Elizabeth G., 1773-1848; George G., 1774-1814; Abraham G., 1776-1838; Samuel G., 1777-1854; Frederick G., 1779-1838; Peter G., 1782-1826; David G., 1784-1799.

(IV) John G. Guldin was born Oct. 18, 1770, and died June 13, 1852, son of Daniel H. Guldin and wife Catherine Elizabeth Geltback. He was a blacksmith, farmer and justice of the peace. He married Mary Cronrath, born Jan. 1, 1772, died Dec. 28, 1835. Their children were: Daniel C., 1792-1856; Samuel C., 1794-1871; Rev. John C., D. D., 1799-1863; David C., 1804-1858; Charles C., 1808-1864; Abraham C., 1811-1884; Isaac C., 1812-1874.

(V) Samuel C. Guldin, son of John G. Guldin, was born 1794, and died 1871. He was an extensive dealer in cattle and mules, a large owner of real estate and stock and a man widely and favorably known throughout Berks county. He married Elizabeth Yeager, of Chester county, who was born June 17, 1797, and died Feb. 8, 1879. They lived near Yellow House. Their children were; Simon P., 1823-1873; John F., 1825-1875; Mary Ann; Elam Y., 1829-1892; Sophia H., 1832-1893; James A., 1834-1864; Jeremiah L., 1837-1858.

(VI) John Frederick Guldin, son of Samuel C. Guldin, was born in Oley township, June 9, 1825, and he died at Yellow House May 13, 1875, aged forty-nine years, eleven months and four days. He was one of the most extensive dealers in mules in this part of the county, owning hundreds of the mules along the Schuylkill canal, and he supplied the whole system with mules. In addition he kept in stock from 100 to 150 and his business was a very successful one. He also cultivated his eighty-five acre farm, now owned by his son John R. Mr. Guldin was a charitable man, and while in the business to make money, never hesitated to help one less fortunate than he by lending mules to tide over a difficulty. For some years he was associated in business with his father, Samuel Guldin and after the latter's death, he continued with his brother Simon. After a prosperous life, he died firm in the faith of the Reformed Church, and is buried at Amityville, in the cemetery of this church. For years prior to his death he took an active part in church work, organizing the Reformed denomination at Amityville, as well as establishing the cemetery.. Fraternally he was a member of the Masonic order.

On Sept. 21, 1852, John F. Guldin married Hannah Rhoads, born Oct. 1, 1832, daughter of Abraham Rhoads of Amity; she died June 2, 1872. They had children: Samuel, born Aug. 26, 1853, died Oct. 24, 1905; Lizzie, born 1856, died in 1858; Mary, born in 1858, died in 1861; Ella, born in 1860, died in 1893; Emily m. J. F. D. Geiger, of Philadelphia; Catherine m (first) Nelson Bertolet, deceased, and (second) Grant Loder, of Philadelphia; John R.; and Charles R. of Philadelphia, a butcher.

(VII) John R. Guldin, postmaster at Yellow House, and agent of the National Bank of Boyertown, was born in the house where he now resides, March 15, 1867. He was educated in the common schools, and Prof. D. B. Brunner's Business college, at Reading, from which he was graduated in 1885. Having been reared upon the farm, he thoroughly understood the work, and at the age of eighteen began farming for his father on the homestead. The property is a very fine one consisting of eighty-five acres located at Yellow House, in Amity township. Mr. Golden supervises the work upon this very valuable tract, and makes it pay well. Since 1897 he has been engaged in a butchering business, and gives employment to three men in this line, and runs three teams delivering to his customers throughout a wide section. Mr. Golden is one of the owners of "Yellow House Hotel," having succeeded to his father's interest in it upon the latter's death. This old landmark is often referred to by writers of Berks county, and for many years has been a place of entertainment for the traveling public. Mr. Gelding's residence is just opposite the hotel, and is a large stone house, well supplied with all modern conveniences, and surrounded with a magnificent lawn. At midnight, Aug. 14, 1908, his large barn was burned to the ground, including its contents, consisting of the year's crops, three thorough-bred cows, one bull, thirteen trained hounds and about one-hundred chickens,--a total loss of $6,500. Mr. Guldin immediately rebuilt on practically the same site, and now has the only barn in his section that has a complete concrete base, one staple high. In addition to being the agent for the National Bank of Boyertown, he is one of its largest stockholders, and since 1893 he has been the postmaster at Yellow House.

Before he was of age, in 1888, Mr. Guldin was placed upon the Democratic ticket for auditor of Amity township, and being elected served that and two succeeding terms, nine years in all. In politics he is a Democrat, and has always taken a lively interest in township affairs. Fraternally he is a member of Wohling Tribe No. 179, Order of Red Men, at Yellow House. He and his family are members of Amityville Reformed Church, of which he was elder for some years, and is now treasurer.

On Feb. 26, 1891, Mr. Guldin married Sue L. Rhoads, daughter of Frank and Rebecca (Lorah) Rhoads, of Amity township. To Mr. and Mrs. Guldin have been born these children: Paul R., a graduate of Mercersburg Academy, in Franklin county, Pa., Class of 1908, and now taking a course in Agriculture, at Cornell University, Class of 1912; and Miss Helena, a member of Class of 1909, Kutztown State Normal School, and an accomplished young lady.

Mr. Guldin is a sportsman, and is very fond of hunting, keeping a large number of hounds for fox hunting. At times his pack numbers thirty. He also has foxes, opossums, coons and other wild animals.

The old Guldin family is well represented in Mr. Guldin, an excellent type of the genial, kind-hearted hospitable country gentleman. He is wealthy, prominent and a great favorite throughout all of Berks county, where he and his family occupy so desirable a place in the confidence and esteem of its people.


GULDIN FAMILY

p. 1053

Surnames: GULDIN, TRIBOLEB, KOCH, MALCARIDA, HILSAWEEK, LEINBACH, GELBBACH, LEVAN, YODER, HAAS, YODER, ROBERTS, BOTTS, SMITH, YODER, WRIGHT, SPECHT, CONRAD

The Guldin family traces its history back to (1) Hans Joachim Guldin, who was born at St. Gall, Switzerland, and became a citizen of Berne, Switzerland in 1633. He married Susanna Triboleb and their children were: Hans Joachim T., born Feb. 4, 1635; Anna, born Sept. 22, 1836; Samuel, born Sept. 22, 1638.

(II) Hans Joachim T. Guldin, son of Hans Joachim Guldin, was born at Berne, Switzerland, Feb. 4, 1635. He married Anna Maria Koch, and their children were: Anna Maria, born Aug. 24, 1660, who died in infancy; Anna Maria, born March 19, 1662, who died in infancy; Samuel K. born June 8, 1664; and Anna Magdalena, born June 18, 1667.

(III) Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, born at Berne, Switzerland, June 8, 1664, married Mary Magdalena Malcarida, and came to Philadelphia on Sept. 24, 1710. He died at Roxborough, Pa., Dec. 31, 1745. His children were: Samuel M. born Nov. 8, 1693, at Stettlen, Switzerland; Maria Catherine, born at Stettlen, Jan. 8, 1696; Christoffel, born at Berne, July 17, 1697; and Eumanuel Frederick, born at Berne, March 13, 1699.

(IV) Samuel M. Guldin settled in Oley township, Berks Co., Pa., in 1718, and became the founder of the Guldin family there. He married May 22, 1722, Elizabeth Hilsaweek, and their children were: Samuel; Susanna; John; Mary Magdalena, who married Frederick Leinbach; Frederick; Daniel H.; Janna; Ester, and Clara Elizabeth. He was a farmer and blacksmith.

(V) Daniel H. Guldin, born in Oley township April 20, 1735, married Catherine Elizabeth Gelbbach and their children were: Samuel, who died in infancy; Daniel; John Jacob; Samuel, who died in infancy; John; Elizabeth; George; Abraham; Samuel; Frederick; Peter, and David. Daniel H. Guldin owned a farm of 260 acres adjoining the "YellowHouse" property on the north.

(VI) John Guldin was also a resident of Oley township. He and his wife Catherine had three sons: Daniel, who married Rachel Levan and had children ? Ezra, Lewis, Joel, Calvin, Mary and John; Abram; and John D., born in 1846, who died in 1872.

(VII) Abraham Guldin, now deceased, was born in Oley township July 9, 1842, and died Oct. 15, 1877, aged thirty-five years, three months, six days. He is buried at Oley Churches. By occupation he was a farmer, and he owned a valuable farm, now the property of his widow. On July 25, 1862, Mr. Guldin married Sarah B. Yoder, who was born Aug. 5, 1840, and was a daughter of David Yoder and granddaughter of Daniel Yoder of Oley township. They had seven children, as follows: John Y., born Oct. 24, 1863; David Y., May 31, 1866 (died in May 1903); William Y., June 25, 1868; Horace Y., Jan. 1, 1871 (resides in Philadelphia; has one son, Arthur); Annie C., Sept. 6, 1873; Francis Y., April 19, 1875, and George Y., July 4, 1877.

Of the above children, Annie C. Guldin married William G. Haas, a farmer residing near Pleasantville, in Berks county. Her farm consists of over seventy acres. They have two sons, Lawrence and Arthur G.

Mrs. Guldin is a very pleasant and hospitable woman and one who has many friends in her neighborhood. She speaks both English and German. She makes her home with Mrs. Haas, although she owns the Guldin homestead, and is possessed of considerable means. The homestead is operated by George Y. Guldin, who makes his home upon it.

The late Abraham Guldin, although cut off in the very prime of life, has gained the honor and respect of all who knew him. Possessing as he did fine natural abilities as well as those qualities, which constitute the true man and valuable citizen, it was not difficult for him to win the esteem and admiration of those about him. A hard worker, he amassed a property, which left his family comfortable. Although he died so many years ago his memory is tenderly cherished, and his many excellent qualities remembered to this day. He came of an honored family, and although his days were few he never failed to uphold its dignity and to live up to the high standards set by those who went before him.

John Y. Guldin, son of the late Abraham and Sarah B. (Yoder) Guldin, is a prominent farmer of Oley township, born Oct. 24, 1863. He was reared upon the homestead, attending school in the neighborhood and learning farming under his father's care. Later he had the advantage of a course at the Oley Academy. In 1888 he began farming on his own account upon his grandfather's farm, which then was the property of his mother. Mr. Guldin now owns the Wright farm, which he purchased in 1898. It is located one mile north of the "Yellow House" property and consists of 121 acres of excellent land.

The stone residence upon it, erected by M. Roberts in 1769, is a large house and so substantially built that is much to be preferred to a new structure. On this property is a springhouse, which was built in 1716 by a pioneer of Oley township. It is 20 x 16 feet and two stories high. The barn is considerably more than one hundred years old, and like the house is very substantial. The farm is well stocked, Mr. Guldin keeping seven horses and seventeen head of cattle. He uses the latest improved machinery and methods in his farming and is very successful in his work.

John Y. Guldin married in 1883 Hannah Botts, daughter of William and Mary (Smith) Botts, of Earl township. Their children are: Mary, Annie Lucretia, Susan Melissa, Charlotte Agnes, Abraham, John, Alice Katie, Theodore and Hannah Elda.

Mr. Guldin is a Republican and has held many of the local offices. He and his family are members of Salem Oley Reformed Church, of which he has been deacon for four years. Socially he is a member of Manatawny Castle, K. G. E. Progressive, public-spirited, a good citizen and conscientious man, Mr. Guldin inspires fullest confidence and is one of the substantial farmers of Oley township.

David Y. Guldin, son of the late Abraham and Sarah B. (Yoder) Guldin, was born May 31, 1866, on the old Guldin homestead in Oley township, Berks county, and was educated in the public schools of his native township and the Oley Academy. On Sept. 26, 1885, he was married to Miss Emma Louisa A. Specht. This union was blessed with seven children, all daughters: Sallie, Olivia, Edna, Mabel, Edwina, Minnie, and one that died in infancy. David Y. Guldin was the owner of a nice farm in Earl township, where he lived for some time. There his wife died six years ago, after which he sold out and made his home with his aged mother, and began working for the Long Distance Telephone Company. He worked several years for that company, later engaging with the Postal Telegraph Company, in whose service he was killed. He was working on a high pole, when accidentally he came in contact with a live wire which gave him a shock, holding him in mid-air for about five minutes, after which he fell an a second wire some distance below. His head struck the curb, crushing his skull, and he died twenty-four hours later at the Delaware Hospital, Wilmington. He was a member of Manatawny Castle, No. 461, K. G. E., and of Minnehaha Lodge, K. P., of Friedensburg, and of the Oley Reformed Church.

George Y. Guldin, son of the late Abraham Guldin, and brother of John Y. Guldin, resides upon the farm where he was born July 4, 1877. He was reared upon this farm and attended the public schools. His father dying when he was only three months old, Mr. Guldin was brought up by his mother and has always been her right-hand man. In 1902 he began farming for himself, and now cultivates the family homestead of 104 acres, which under his care is a very fine property. The residence upon it was erected by his grandfather, John Guldin, in 1867, and the barn was put up in 1855. This farm has a good spring that has never gone dry, and its water is recognized as excellent throughout the township. Mrs. Guldin still uses the old family dinner gong to summon her husband and his men from the fields. These gongs are becoming very valuable on account of their scarcity. This particular one is specially good and strong, and was forged at Sprang's forge a little over one hundred years ago. It can be heard distinctly for a distance of three and one-quarter miles. Another much prized heirloom in the possession of Mr. Guldin is an old grandfather clock which is also over one hundred years old and came from the Yoder side of the family.

In 1898 George Y. Guldin was married to Mary Conrad, of Oley township, and they have one son, Lester C. Mr. Guldin is a member of the K. of P. lodge at Manatawny, Oley post-office, and the P. O. S. of A. Camp of Oley township. In politics he is an independent Republican. He and his family belong to the Oley Reformed Church.

Like other members of this old and honorable family Mr. George Y. Guldin is much esteemed in his neighborhood and is considered one of the representative men of his township.


GULDIN, JAMES H.

p. 717

Surnames: GULDIN, HOCH, LUTZ, TRIBOLET, KOCH, MALACRIDA, HILSAWECK, LEINBACH, GELTBACH, CRONRATH, LUDWIG, WEAVER, VAN BUSKIRK, MILLER, HEFFNER, LEIBELSBERGER, KERSHNER, SHOMO, FISHER, GRIM, GESCHWINDT

The Guldins were Pietists of Switzerland. The Hochs were Moravians from the same place. Rev. Samuel K. Guldin and Rev. Christopher Lutz were classmates at Old University of Berne, Switzerland, from 1679 to 1689. In 1692 Guldin was appointed pastor at Stettlen, three miles east of Berne. Shortly after entering the university, Guldin passed through a great spiritual experience and became a pietist. Prof. Hadorn says that Guldin, Schumacher, Lutz and Dochs were the fathers of Swiss pietism. These church fathers became so bitterly prosecuted that Guldin emigrated to Philadelphia in 1710, and all of the Guldins of America are descended from him.

The Guldins were originally of St. Gall, Switzerland. Melchior Guldin was born at St. Gall in 1529; was made guildmaster in 1550; senator in 1583, and died in 1596. Melchior Guldin, Jr., was born in 1571 and died in 1645. He was a town clerk in 1604. Paul Guldin was born of Evangelical parents in 1577. In 1597 he joined the Jesuits, became professor of mathematics at Gratz and Vienna, and died at Gratz, Nov. 3, 1643. He was the author of five Latin Books.

(I) Hans Joachim Guldin was born at St. Gall, Switzerland, and became a citizen of Berne in 1633. The maiden name of his wife was Susanna Tribolet, and their children were: Hans, born Feb. 4, 1635; Anna, born Sept. 22, 1636; Samuel, born Sept. 22, 1638.

(II) Hans Joachim T. Guldin, born at Berne, Feb. 4, 1635, married Anna Maria Koch, and their children were Maria, born Aug. 24, 1660, died in infancy; Anna Maria, born March 19, 1662, died in infancy; Samuel K., born June 8, 1664, died Dec. 31, 1745; Anna Magdalena, born June 18, 1667.

(III) Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, born at Berne, June 8, 1664, married Mary Magdalena Malacrida, and came to Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 24, 1710, and died at Roxboro, Dec. 31, 1745. His children were: Samuel M., born Nov. 8, 1693, at Stettlen, Switzerland; Maria Catherine, born at Stettlen, Jan 8, 1696; Christoffel, born at Berne, July 17, 1697; Emanuel Fred, born at Berne, March 13, 1699.

(IV) Samuel M. Guldin settled in Oley township, Berks county, in 1718, and on May 22, 1722, he married Elizabeth Hilsaweck. By occupation he was a blacksmith and farmer. His children were: Samuel; Susanna; John; Mary Magdalena m. Frederick Leinbach; Frederick; Daniel H.; Joanna Esther; and Clara Elizabeth.

(V) Daniel H. Guldin was born in Oley, April 20, 1735, and married Catherine Elizabeth Geltbach. He acquired a farm of 260 acres, adjoining the Yellow House property on the north. His children were: Samuel died in infancy; Daniel; John; Jacob; Samuel (2) died in infancy; John G.; Elizabeth; George; Abraham; Samuel (3); Frederick; Peter; David.

(VI) John G. Guldin, born Oct. 18, 1770, married Mary Cronrath, and died June 13, 1852. His children were: Daniel; Samuel C. m. Catharine DeHart Ludwig; Rev. John C., D. D.; David; Charles; Abraham C.; and Isaac.

(VII) Abraham C. Guldin, born Aug. 10, 1811, married Susanna Y. Weaver, and died April 8, 1884. His wife was born Aug. 23, 1812, and died May 14, 1876. Their children were: Isaac W.; Jeremiah; Albert; Hannah and George.

(VIII) Isaac W. Guldin, born in Amity township, Berks county, Dec. 4, 1834, died in the fall of 1907. He was a well-known and highly respected citizen of his locality, for many years having been a music teacher of Reading. He was twice married. On Dec. 31, 1857, he m. Amelia Van Buskirk. On April 24, 1884, h m. (second) Amanda Hoch Custer. Both of his wives were granddaughters of Eva Rosina Lutz Ludwig.

(IX) James H. Guldin, a farmer of Maxatawny township, was born in this township, on the old Guldin farm, March 25, 1867. Reared to farm life, he has continued in this line of work all his life. At first he worked for his father, but upon coming of age he started to farm for himself on the old Charles Miller farm near Monterey. His education was a limited one because of the many demands made upon him in his boyhood, but he has added to his knowledge by observation and experience and is now a very well informed man. In 1892 Mr. Guldin moved to Longswamp township where he lived some time, and then went to Litzenberg, in Lehigh county, but in 1896 he settled in Maxatawny township, and has purchased the old homestead from the other heirs. This consists of 123 acres of excellent land upon which he made his home until 1901, when he sold the property to Phaon Heffner, and bought the old Stephen Leibelsberger farm near Maxatawny Zion Church, consisting of 92 acres of valuable land. The barn of this property was built in 1828 by Leibelsberger. The farm is well stocked with eleven head of cattle and ten head of horses. Fraternally Mr. Guldin is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M. of New Smithville, Pa. He has been active in public affairs, and is serving his third year as school director; and he has also been delegate to various county conventions, and been judge of elections, etc. He and his family are members of Zion Union Church of Maxatawny township, of he has served as deacon.

On Sept. 4, 1885, Mr. Guldin married Nellie C. Kershner, a daughter of George W. and Ellen (Shomo) Kershner, of Hamburg. Eight children have been born to them: Charles J.; Solon R.; Mamie M.; Grover J.; Eva S.; James S.; Lawson W. and Florence M. Mr. Guldin comes of an old family whose representatives are well known throughout Pennsylvania and he himself is much respected in his community.

Mahlon Guldin, son of Reuben W., of Maxatawny township, was born on his father's homestead, Jan. 25, 1862, and was there reared and received his early education. Later he attended the Keystone State Normal School, from which he was graduated in 1879, and subsequently he took a post-graduate course at the same institution. He commenced teaching in his native township when but seventeen years of age, and he has since taught twenty-two terms in his home district, in addition to one term in Lehigh county, a rather remarkable record. Mr. Guldin is one of the active teachers of Berks county. During the summer months he is engaged in various lines. Since 1896, he has been engaged in the poultry business, and is much interested in it, he making a specialty of fancy poultry, especially buff and partridge cochins.

Mr. Guldin is a Democrat, and takes an active part in public affairs, serving as register and assessor of the district and he has been sent as delegate to numerous county conventions. He is a member of Camp 141, P. O. S. of A., of Rothrocksville, of which he is past president, and he was district president of District No. 6. During his incumbency a new district was instituted at Longswamp. Mr. Gulden is a member of the Reformed Church, and his wife is a member of the Lutheran denomination of Maxatawny Zion Church.

On Nov. 18, 1893, Mr. Guldin was married to Miss Stella M. Fisher, a daughter of Charles S. and Emma (Grim) Fisher of Krumsville, granddaughter of Benjamin Fisher, of Greenwich. Two children have been born of this marriage, Ira C. R. and Homer F.

Reuben W. Guldin, the father of Mahlon Guldin was born in Exeter township, Berks county, Feb 18, 1818, and was reared in this district, coming later to Maxatawny township, and settling on the State road near Monterey, upon a farm consisting of 123 acres of valuable land. He farmed all his life and lived retired from active labor six years prior to his death, which occurred in June, 1894, when he was seventy-six years old. He was a member of Maxatawny Zion Church, Reformed, where he is buried. For many years he was a church official and was a good man, held in great respect. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Geschwindt, and they had fifteen children: Sarah, Marion; Matilda; Valentine; Jeremiah; David (died aged seven years); Elias; Ellen; Kate; Amanda; Alice; Reuben; Mahlon; Senora and James.

Note: the biography on page 717 is incorrect for Isaac W Guldin's first wife. From this death notice she was a Custer, not a Van Buskirk...... George L Custer was married to Maria Van Buskirk. So maybe the bio left out the maiden name - Amelia VanBuskirk Custer. The two wives were cousins. Submitted by Diana.


GULDIN, JEREMIAH R.

p. 1602

Surnames: GULDIN, TRIBOLET, KOCH, MALACRIDA, LUTZ, HADORN, PETER, MARTOLET, HILSAWECK, GELTBACH, REIDNAUER, RITTER, MAURER, RHOADS, STAUFFER, WEINLAND, GRIM

Jeremiah R. Guldin, county commissioner of Berks county from 1879 to 1881, and a lifelong farmer near New Berlinville, died at his home there Aug. 9, 1892. He was born in Colebrookdale township Nov. 12, 1822, son of Jacob Guldin.

The Guldins were Pietists in Switzerland. Their home was originally in St. Gall, where Melchior Guldin was born in 1529, was made guildmaster in 1550, senator in 1583, and where he died in 1596. Melchior Guldin, Jr., was born in 1571, and died in 1645. He was town clerk in 1604.

(I) Hans Joachim Guldin, born at St. Gall, Switzerland, became a citizen of Berne in 1633. He married Susanna Tribolet, and their children were: Hans Joachim (2) born Feb. 4, 1635; Anna, born Sept. 22, 1636; Samuel, Sept. 22, 1638.

(II) Hans Joachim Guldin (2), born at Berne Feb. 4, 1635, married Anna Maria Koch, and their children were: Maria, born Aug. 24, 1660, died in infancy; Anna Maria, born March 19, 1662, died in infancy; Samuel K., born June 8, 1664, died Dec. 31, 1745; Anna Magdalena, born June 18, 1667.

(III) Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, born at Berne, June 8, 1664, married Mary Magdalena Malacrida, and came to Philadelphia Sept. 24, 1710. He died at Roxboro Dec. 31, 1745. His children were: Samuel M., born Nov. 8, 1693, at Stettlen, Switzerland; Maria Catherine, born at Stettlen Jan. 8, 1696; Christoffel, born at Berne July 17, 1697; Emanuel Fred, born at Berne March 13, 1699. Rev. Samuel K. Guldin and Rev. Christopher Lutz were classmates at Ole University at Berne, Switzerland, from 1679 to 1689. In 1692 the Rev. Mr. Guldin was appointed pastor at Stettlen, three miles east of Berne. Shortly after entering the University he passed through a great spiritual experience and became a Pietist. Prof. Hadorn says that Guldin, Schumacher, Lutz and Dochs were the fathers of Swiss Pietism. These church fathers became so bitterly persecuted that Guldin emigrated to Philadelphia in 1710, and all of the Guldins of America are descended from him.

(IV) Samuel M. Guldin, son of the Rev. Samuel K., born Nov, 8, 1693, at Stettlen, accompanied his father to American, and with him settled in Oley township, Berks county, Pa. He learned blacksmithing and then together with Engel Peter and a Mr. Bartolet, all blacksmiths, was in Oley, then known as "The Land of Great Trees," in 1718. Each built a log house and began to clear the land. The houses were somewhere along what is now the public road from Yellowhouse to Friedensburg. On May 22, 1722, Samuel M. Guldin married Elizabeth Hilsaweck. Their children were: Samuel, born July 12, 1725; Susanna, Oct. 5, 1724; John. Feb. 22, 1726; Mary Magdalene, Aug. 26, 1728; Frederic, Aug. 2, 1729; Daniel, April 20, 1735; Johanna Esther (twin to Daniel); and Clara Elizabeth, Sept. 17, 1738. Berks county was incorporated in 1752, and Samuel M. Guldin was one of its first county commissioners. At that time there were still Indians in the county, and without doubt he bore his part in defending the people. The records show that at least three of his children married and reared families.

(V) Daniel Guldin, son of Samuel M., was born April 20, 1735, and he died Aug. 17, 1817. He married Catherine Elizabeth Geltbach in 1762, and she died about 1785. Their children were: Samuel G., 1763-1769; Daniel G. 1764-1845; John Jacob, 1766-1829; Samuel G., 1769-1775; John G., 1770-1862; Elizabeth G., 1773-1848; George G., 1774-1814; Abraham G., 1776-1838; Samuel G. 1777-1854; Frederick G., 1779-1838; Peter G., 1782-1826; David G., 1784-1799.

(VI) John Jacob Guldin, son of Daniel, born in 1766 died May 6, 1829. He married Polly Reidnauer.

(VII) Jacob Guldin, born Oct. 13, 1798, was a farmer. He died May 8, 1866. Among his children was Jeremiah R.

(VIII) Jeremiah R. Guldin engaged in the cultivation of his farm of 130 acres near New Berlinville, on the road leading from that town to Bechtelsville, until about twenty years before his death, when he retired. He built a substantial brick house on the farm, and there his widow still resides. The farm has been rented ever since Mr. Guldin's retirement. With all of his active work on his farm he took a lively interest in public affairs, and for three years was county commissioner, being elected on the Republican ticket; and for three years he was school director. He was a man of good judgment, and his advice was sought frequently. He was a member and deacon of St. John's Lutheran Church, in which his widow is still an active worker. Mr. Guldin was laid to rest in Fairview cemetery.

In. 1851 Jeremiah R. Guldin was married to Esther (Hettie) Ritter, born April 16, 1830, daughter of John and Mary (Maurer) Ritter. To this union was born a daughter, Clara, who married John G. Rhoads, former register of wills, in Berks county, and died in 1892, leaving a son Clarence, now making his home with his maternal grandmother, Mr. Guldin.

John Guldin was born July 6, 1796, and was baptized by the Rev. J. F. Weinland. He died Jan. 2, 1861, aged sixty-four years, five months, twenty-six days, and is buried at Boyertown. He resided at the present home of Ambrose Stauffer, in Colebrookdale township, owning a tract of forty-five acres, and conducted a sawmill besides engaging in blacksmithing and farming, becoming well known in his district in these various capacities. He prospered in all his work.

Mr. Guldin married Maria Grim, daughter of Heinrich Grim, born Jan. 16, 1791, died Aug. 6, 1865, aged seventy-four years, six months, twenty-one days. Mr. and Mrs. Guldin had a family of six children, namely: Edwin, who died in infancy; Henry, who lives in Indiana county, Pa.; Mary A., who now lives at New Berlinville; James, born Sept. 21, 1827, who died May 7, 1864; Cyrus, born Oct. 8, 1829, who died Nov. 29, 1856; and Horace, born Aug. 23, 1833.

Mary A. Guldin, daughter of the late John Guldin, was born Feb. 9, 1825, and though eighty-four years old is very well preserved, her only affliction being defective hearing. She has never married, and for some years has made her home at New Berlinville, where she is a devout member of the United Evangelical Church, being deeply interested in the work of that congregation. She is a highly respected member of the community and is enjoying her years in comfort and contentment.


GUNDRY, G. HAREL (PROF.)

p 1480

Surnames: GUNDRY, GRAUL, FLATT, KERN

Prof. G. Harel Gundry, proprietor of Gundry's Dancing Academies, No. 722 Washington street and Masonic Temple, Reading, Pa., was born in that city, Feb. 26, 1874, only child of William T. and Lina (Graul) Gundry.

Professor Gundry was educated in the public schools, after leaving which he learned the machinist's trade, and followed that occupation in the Philadelphia & Reading Railway shops for eighteen years. As a boy he evinced great cleverness in dancing and received instruction from the leading instructors of Buffalo, New York City and Pittsburg. He established his first academy in 1901, in the Auditorium, on Fifth street, later locating at No. 40 North Sixth street. They are now situated on the entire second floor of Flatt Brothers' building, No. 722 Washington street, and the third floor in Masonic Temple, where the dimensions are 50 x 105 feet; and he also conducts dances Tuesdays and Saturdays at Rajah Temple, dimensions 60 x 75 feet. Several of the Professor's dances are becoming great favorites in the city which is open the whole year round.

Professor Gundry married Miss A. E. Kern, daughter of Israel R. Kern, of Reading, and one child, Lois Dorothy, has been born o this union. The Professor and his family reside at No. 216 Greenwich street. He is a Mason of considerable prominence, belonging to St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Reading Lodge of Perfection; Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and the Masonic Temple Club. He is also identified with Camp No. 212, Patriotic Order Sons of America, being a Past President thereof, and with Wyomissing Council, Royal Arcanum. Through his profession he is connected with the Professional Teachers of Dancing, of America, International Association Masters of Dancing, and is an honorary member of the United Kingdom Alliance of Great Britain, and in all these organizations he is very popular. Professor Gundry's classes are large, and he also gives instruction by private appointment, his methods in all cases being very effective and productive of the best results.


GUSS, SAMUEL M.

p. 1432

Surnames: GUSS, KEITER, SHUNK, KNERR, KEITER, PHILLIPS, SNYDER, GROVE, HERSHBERGER, KLEIN

Samuel m. Guss, master mechanic of the Oley Street Mills of the Reading Iron Company, and an inventor of international reputation, is a well-known man in manufacturing circles in Berks county, Pa. He was born in 1840, in Chester county, Pa., son of Jacob and Sarah (Keiter) Guss.

Charles Guss, great-grandfather of Samuel M. Guss, and a celebrated mathematician of Germany, came to America in middle life, and settled near Phoenixville, Chester Co., Pa. He married Mary Shunk, a first cousin of Gov. Francis R. Shunk, of Pennsylvania, and both died in the faith of the Lutheran Church. Their sixth child, Simeon Guss, grandfather of Samuel M. Guss, married Barbara Knerr. The seventh child of this union, Jacob Guss, was the father of Samuel M.Guss.

Jacob Guss was a shoemaker and farmer all of his life, also serving as justice of the peace and surveyor. He died in 1883, at the age of seventy-one years, and his wife in 1893, when eighty-nine years of age. Ten children were born to Jacob and Sarah (Keiter) Guss, nine of whom lived to maturity: Mary A.; George W.; Catherine A.; Barbara A.; Frederick R.; Samuel M.; Henry F.; William E.; Jacob A.; and William, the first-born who died in infancy.

Picture of Samuel M. GussSamuel M. Guss was educated in the schools of Chester county, and the Pughtown Academy, instituted by David Phillips, from which were graduated many prominent men. His first work was at farming, but later he learned the machinist's trade at Pottsville, and entered the employ of the Colliery Iron Works, of which George W. Snyder was at that time proprietor. He helped in the erection of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company's rolling-mills in October 1868, and for seventeen years was in the employ of that company. He had charge of the P. & R. rolling-mill for fourteen years, and in 1895 was made general foreman in the erection of the Oley street rolling-mill, then took charge as master mechanic, and is at the present time foreman of the plate mill and master mechanic of the entire plant. Mr. Guss has the reputation of being a pioneer in the universal rolling-mill business, having erected several universal rolling-mills, including the Central Iron and Steel Company's mill at Harrisburg; and many of his inventions in this line are used extensively in America and Europe.

In 1869 Mr. Guss married Florence E. Grove, born in Franklin county, Pa., daughter of John and Rebecca (Hershberger) Grove. Nine children were born to this union: William E. C. C.; Laura R.; Charles S.; Florence E.; Carrie V. N. (m. Rev. William F. Klein); Lucreitia M.; Herbert S.; Marion H.; and Samuel M., Jr. In religious belief, the family belongs to the Evangelical Association. Mr. Guss is a Republican in politics. He was a member of the International Centennial Association in 1876. In 1891 he erected his present comfortable home at No. 606 North Tenth street, Reading.


GUTH, AMOS S.

p. 1024

Surnames: GUTH, HOFFMAN, PENN, KOHLER, MERTZ, DORNEY, NERVER, DERR, HAMMON, NYCE, MESSINGER, PHILLIPS, KLINE, HOFFMASTER

Amos A. Guth, a highly esteemed, retired citizen of Reading, Pa., who has been a deacon of the Baptist Church for more than thirty years, descends from one of the old and honorable families of Pennsylvania, descendants of which have attained distinction in all the noble trades and professions. Mr. Guth was born June 6, 1836, in South Whitehall, Lehigh county, son of Henry and Catherine (Hoffman) Guth.

Lorentz Guth, great-grandfather of Amos, with his wife, Mary, emigrated from the German Rhine provinces to Pennsylvania, then known as the "Asylum of the Distressed Pilgrims," crossing the Atlantic in the summer of 1738, on the ship "Thistle," Capt. John Wilson, of Rotterdam, and on Sept. 19th landed at Philadelphia. They settled on the banks of the Jordan, the present site of the old homestead, Mr. Guth having owned 369 acres of land in this county prior to coming over, as the deed is dated May 11, 1732. Later he bought certain tracts from Thomas and Richard Penn and Peter Kohler, until he had in his possession 1,000 acres. His children were: Lorentz Jr.; Adam; Peter; Julian (M. Peter Kohler); Eva Barbara (m. George Henry Mertz); Margarette (m. Adam Dorney).

Lorentz Guth, Jr., son of Lorentz, also settled on the old homestead in Lehigh county, and became extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits. He and his wife had children: Adam, who moved to Ohio; Daniel; John; Peter; Henry; Susanna, who married a Mr. Nerver; and Mrs. Christian Derr. The family were members of the Reformed Church.

Henry Guth, father of Amos, settled in South Whitehall township, where he learned the stone mason's trade and later engaged in farming. During the war of 1812-14 he served at Marcus Hook, and for this service received from the United State Government a tract of forty acres of land. It is believed that he served but three months when honorably discharged. He died Jan. 1, 1865, aged about sixty-nine years, his wife, Catherine Hoffman, July 17, 1849. Their children were: Eliza, Calvin, Flora, Horace and Amos S. By his first wife, whose maiden name was Hammon, Mr. Guth had two children, Deborah and Levi.

Amos S. Guth received his education in the schools of Lehigh county, and Kessler's boarding school, in Allentown, which he attended one season, and a boarding school in Easton, Pa. He assisted in the work on the home farm until nineteen years of age, when he became clerk in Seiple & Erdman's store at Ruchville, where he remained four years. In 1861 he came to Reading and engaged in the photograph business, having a gallery at Fourth and Penn streets, but later sold out to engage in work with his father-in-law, Samuel Nyce, who was conducting a produce commission business. When the firm of Nyce Bros. & Co. was formed he became a partner, but withdrew to engage in the shoe business, which he carried on two years, then spent two years in the produce business at Lewisburg. After following the same line for a time at Wilkes-Barre, he returned to Reading and was employed by the firm of which he had formerly been a partner. In 1897 Mr. Guth retired from active life.

Mr. Guth married Catherine Nyce, who was born in Montgomery county, Feb. 16, 1838, daughter of Samuel Nyce. To this union there were born children as follows: Elmira died at the age of six months; Annie m. Allen Messinger and has two daughters, Lilian (m. Charles Phillips, of Philadelphia, and has a son, C. Alan, who represents the seventh generation of the Guths in America) and Madeleine (m. Burton Kline, of Boston, Mass.); Lillie m. Howard F. Hoffmaster and has two sons, Floyd and Howard Jr.; and Rosa m. Harry Nyce, a cousin, and lives in Philadelphia.

Mr. Amos S. Guth is a self-made man, and has always held a high reputation for honesty and integrity, being regarded as one of Reading's substantial citizens. He is a member of the Baptist Church, in which he has been a deacon for more than thirty years, and a teacher in the Sunday-school, a capacity in which he has served for forty years. He is also a charter member of the Reading Baptist Association, which is composed of Baptist Churches in the counties of Berks, Lehigh, Bucks, Montgomery, Schuylkill, Lancaster, Northampton and Monroe.

Last Modified Sunday, 06-Sep-2009 11:33:35 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.