Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

GLAES, JOHN G.

p. 459

Surnames: GLAES, GEHRY, KLES, GLAESZ, ZIMMERMAN, FREY, TROUT, GREGORY, POTTS, HEIDT, GILBERT, ERMENTROUT, GOOD, MCCULLOGH, SNYDER, FRANCIS, LEVERMAN

John G. Glaes, a venerable citizen of Washington township, Berks county, was born there Dec. 13, 1828, son of Sebastian and Sarah (Gehry) Glaes.

Abraham Kles, his great-grandfather, was a taxable resident in Greenwich township, this county, in 1756. He had three sons: Frederick, who is mentioned below; Jacob, who located in Oley township; and Christian, who located in Amity township.

Frederick Glaesz, as he spelled the name, son of Abraham, was born in Greenwich township, Berks county, in 1756. When twenty years old he entered the Patriot army for services in the Revolutionary war, in which he served as a teamster, being so engaged at Valley Forge. In his later years he drew a pension. He was a tanner by trade, and followed that occupation in Pike township for many years, also engaging in farming in that township, where he owned a tract of 105 acres, near Lobachsville. The close of his long life was spent in retirement at the home of his son, Sebastian. He died in 1841, at the age of eighty-five, and is buried at Huber's Church, at Niantic, Montgomery county. He was a Lutheran in religious faith. By his first wife, Elizabeth Zimmerman, daughter of Sebastian Zimmerman, of Maxatawny township, he had the following children: Daniel; Abraham; Jacob; Sebastian; Henry; Solomon; Sarah, Mrs. Frey; Elizabeth, Mrs. Trout; and Rebecca, Mrs. Gregory. His second marriage was to a Miss Potts.

Sebastian Glaes, son of Frederick, was born in 1796 in Pike township, Berks county, where he resided until his removal to Washington township in 1828. There he bought the farm and pottery now owned by his son John, the seventy-five acre tract being especially valuable for the fine bed of pottery clay located near by. He died on this place in 1869, a member of the Reformed Church, in which he had served for a number of years as deacon, treasurer and elder. In politics he was a Democrat. Sebastian Glaes married Sarah Gehry, daughter of John Gehry, of Upper Hanover, Montgomery county, and eight children were born to them, namely: Sophia, deceased, was the wife of Daniel Heidt, of Washington township; John G. is mentioned below; George died at the age of twenty-seven years; Frederick, of Pottstown, is a millwright; Charles died in childhood; Samuel died young; Matilda married George Gilbert, a farmer of Washington township; Charles died young.

John G. Glaes was reared on the farm and received his early education in the local public schools, later taking a course in the Pottstown Academy. He studied surveying in the seminaries at Freeland and Mount Pleasant; attended Tremont Seminary, at Norristown; the Elmwood Institute, and Heidelberg College, at Tiffin, Ohio. After leaving school he taught school for fifteen consecutive years, teaching in Ruscombmanor township as a fellow instructor of James N. Ermentrout (who was a great fried of Mr. Glaes), and then began surveying and conveyancing, in which line of work he continued for thirty years, becoming very well known in that capacity. The latter also learned the pottery business, which he still carries on at the old homestead.

Mr. Glaes has always been considered one of the most valuable citizens of his community, in every phase of local activity which tends to promote the general welfare and advancement. He has been identified with the official life of his township, as well as its educational and industrial concerns, and served as county auditor from 1864 to 1867; justice of the peace from 1867 to 1877, and town assessor for a number of years. In political sentiment he is a Democrat. His opinion on all matters of local interest is sought and valued, for his intelligence and clear mind are undisputed, and although now well advanced in years he is active and capable, and holds the esteem of his fellow-citizens in an unusual degree. He has been a constant reader and is remarkably well informed and his library is large and well selected, showing his scholarly tastes. Among his most cherished books, however, are a large German Bible, published in 1798, and a geometry which was printed in 1806, and which formerly belonged to Rev. William A. Good, once county superintendent of schools; later Michael McCullogh used it at Yale. Mr. Glaes has a number of other relics which he prizes highly. He has written several poems which have brought him more than local fame -- "Der Siffer, der Schmoker, der Tschaer un Gmler," in Pennsylvania German (Deutsch); "Easter Greetings," and a masterful composition entitled "Sixty Years Ago and Now" (A.D. 1846-1906), which has attracted particular attention.

On June 5, 1877, Mr. Glaes was married to Susan Francis, daughter of John and Susan (Snyder) Francis and granddaughter of Jacob Francis, a farmer of Amity township and a zealous member of the Lutheran Church. John Francis was born in Amity township, Dec. 17, 1801, and followed farming there. He also engaged in milling there, and was quite an active man in his community, serving as town assessor and as a captain in the old State Militia. He was president of the Berks County Fire Insurance Company. He died in 1890, in the faith of the Lutheran Church. To him and his wife were born ten children, six sons and four daughters; Catherine, wife of Rev. L. D. Leverman, a minister of the Reformed Church, of Philadelphia; Lizzie, who lives with her brother-in-law, John G. Glaes; Daniel, deceased, who was proprietor of the Reading Herald; Solomon, deceased, who was a blacksmith at Dayton, Ohio; Amon, a millwright, of Dayton, Ohio; Sarah, deceased; Susan, Mrs. Glaes; John, who died young; Jacob, deceased, who was at one time engaged as bookkeeper for the Reading Railway Company and later carried on farming on the homestead; and Samuel, a carpenter in Philadelphia.

Mrs. Susan (Francis) Glaes was born Feb. 9, 1841, and died Jan. 13, 1908, just a few days before the completion of her sixty-seventh year, being one of the victims of the Opera-house catastrophe at Boyerstown which devastated so many homes in this district. She is buried at Amityville. Mrs. Glaes was long one of the most esteem and widely know residents of her district. She conducted a large millinery and dressmaking establishment for a number of years, giving employment to many hands, and from 1900 until her death was the postmistress at Passmore, which office was discontinued after he death. She was a devout church member and active church worker, and for many years served as superintendent of the infant class of the Sunday-school at Niantic. Her intelligence and energy made her one of the most beloved women in her neighborhood.


GLASE, ALFRED W.

p. 683

Surnames: GLASE, FISHER, FAUCHT, ADAMS, WEISNER, HARRISON

Alfred W. Glase, a prominent business man of Reading, was born in Friedensburg, Oley township, Berks county, Pa., May 27, 1841, son of Peter Glase.

Jacob Glase, grandfather of Alfred W., was a shoemaker by trade, and followed that occupation in Reading, Kutztown and Oley township, all his life. He died while residing in the last named section. Their children were: Peter; Jacob; John; Betsey, m. to a Mr. Fisher; and Polly, m. to Jacob Faucht. In religious belief the family were Lutherans.

Peter Glase at first followed his father's calling, that of a shoemaker, but later in life was engaged in other lines, being at one period in the hotel business. For several years he did freighting between Fredericksburg and Philadelphia, and afterward owned and operated a farm. Twice married, his first wife was a Miss Adams, and they had eight children: William, Matilda, Benewell, Amelia, Mary, Rebecca, James and Levi. He m. (second) Miss Catherine Weisner, like himself a native of Berks county. She died aged seventy-three years, and to this union five children were born, Caroline, Jacob W., Peter, Alfred W. and Anna. In religious belief the family were Lutherans, and in politics Peter Glase was a Democrat. His death occurred in 1868, when he was aged seventy-four years.

Alfred W. Glase was sent to the common schools of Oley township, but was still too young to have left school when he was compelled to go to work. He was first employed on a farm, and remained in that line of work until he was eighteen. He then learned the tinsmith's trade from his brother, and followed that for fourteen years. Meantime he had become favorably known among his fellow citizens and was constable in the Fourth ward, serving in that capacity very efficiently for fifteen years. Since 1887 he has conducted a livery stable and has been very successful, for his establishment is not only large but of a high class. His location is at Nos. 515-517 Cherry street, Reading.

Mr. Glase is a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted in the 3d Regiment of Pennsylvania Artillery, afterward attached to Battery A 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery, in which he served until the end of the war.

In 1880 Alfred W. Glase married Miss Mary Harrison, daughter of John Harrison. Two children have been born to them, Maud E. and Floyd H. In religious faith they are Lutherans. Mr. Glase is a Republican in his political affiliations, and has been active in local affairs. He is a member of the G. A. R., belonging to Post No. 16.


GLASE, JAMES L.

p. 858

Surnames: GLASE, BEAR, FORSTER, LEINBACH, HILL, MANWILLER

James L. Glase, wholesale merchant at Philadelphia, was born at Friedensburg, Berks county, Jan. 10, 1855, and was brought up on his father's farm. He was educated in the township school, and in Oley Academy. Upon quitting school he assisted his father on the farm, and from 1875 to 1880, and besides working on the farm, taught public schools, four terms at Oley, and one in Ruscombmanor. Then, being inclined toward a mercantile life, he entered the general store of E. S. Bear, at Friedensburg, and after remaining there as a clerk until January 1, 1882, he went to Philadelphia to become a traveling salesman in the wholesale dry goods business under his uncle, Peter W. Glase, who was connected with the firm of George A. Smith & Co., successors of the old firm of James, Kent, Santee & Co., on North Third street, and he continued with this firm until they retired. He then traveled for Howett, Glase & Co. for four years. Hall, Swoyer, Glase & Co. three years, and Hall, Glase & Co., for three years. Then the last named firm was reorganized as Glase, Hall & Co., and he was admitted as a member of the firm, his uncle being the senior partner. This was at Nos. 405-407 Market Street in 1904. On Feb. 2, 1906, the place was destroyed by fire, but they, in a week's time, resumed business at No. 513 Market Street, where they have continued to the present time. Their trade extends throughout the United States, but more especially the Eastern and Middle States.

In 1889 Mr. Glase was married to Matilda Forster, daughter of Ferdinand Forster, of Philadelphia, and they have a daughter, Helen.

His father was William Glase, a farmer of Friedensburg, who married Hannah Leinbach, daughter of Benjamin Leinbach, of Oley; and by her he had a number of children, those surviving being Peter L., who married Anna Hill; Sarah; Hannah, who married Calvin Manwiller; and James L., above mentioned.

His grandfather was Peter L. Glase, also a farmer of Oley.


GLASE, J. O.

p. 721

Surnames: GLASE, HIGH, ADAMS, WEISNER, GEARHARD, BASSLER, LICHTENTHALER, WEIDLER, BLICKENDERFER, HOFF

J. O. Glase, senior member of the carpet and drapery firm of J. O. Glase & Co., of Reading, is a substantial citizen of that city, and is prominent in business, political and fraternal circles. Mr. Glase was born in 1856, in Oley township, Berks county, Pa., son of Benneville A. and Rebecca V. R. (High) Glase.

Peter Glase, grandfather of J. O., was a resident of Friedensburg, in Oley township. He made his last will and testament on May 28, 1860, and this was probated Aug. 1, 1868. This will is on record in Vol. XII, p. 56 and his executors are mentioned William and Benneville, his sons. Peter Glase was twice married. His first wife was Mary Adams, and his second, Catharine Weisner. To his first marriage were born eight children: William, Benneville, Levi, James, Matilda, Amelia, Rebecca and Mary. To the second marriage came five: Jacob, Peter, Alfred, Caroline and Anna.

Benneville A. Glase, who was also a native of Oley township, was engaged all his life in a general mercantile business. He died in 1882, in his sixty-second year, and is buried at Friedensburg. He kept a general store at Friedensburg, and was a well know citizen of that place, becoming very prosperous. He was a Lutheran in his religious belief, while his widow worshiped in the Evangelical Church. In politics he was a Republican, and for many years served as postmaster at Friedensburg. Three children were born to him and his wife: Emma, m. to C. S. Gearhard, D. D., deceased; Louisa, m. to C. W. Bassler, of Sunbury, Pa.; and J. O., who is mentioned below.

J. O. Glase was educated in the public schools of Oley township, the Oley Academy and was a member of the class of 1878 of Lafayette College. As a boy he clerked in his father's store, succeeding to the business at the time of his father's death. This he carried on until 1892, when in company with Edward S. Lichtenthaler, he established the business of J. O. Glase & Co., it having been formerly carried on by Henry A. Hoff & Son. It is not only the oldest establishment of its kind in Reading, but is the only exclusive carpet and draping house in the city; the retail salesroom on the first floor at No. 408 Penn street, is 20 x 234 feet, and gives employment to twenty-one people. They import their own lace curtains, straw mattings and linoleums, and do a large business through Berks county.

Mr. Glase is a member of the Masonic fraternity, holding membership in Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., Kutztown, of which he is a past mater; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T., of which he is eminent commander; Enoch Lodge of Perfection; Zerubbabel Council, P. of J., 16th degree; Evergreen Chapter, Rose Croix, 18th degree; Caldwell Sovereign Consistory, S. P. R. S., 32d degree; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is a charter member of Reading Lodge of Perfection. He also belongs to Minnehaha Lodge, K. P. and Oley Castle, K. G. E.

In 1882 Mr. Glase was married to Alice M. Weidler daughter of Emanuel Weidler, and his wife Mary (Blickenderfer) Weidler, and to this union have been born two sons, Paul E. and Claude H., both of whom are graduates of the Reading high school and work in their father's establishment.


GLASS, GEORGE

p. 1202

Surnames: GLASS, SCHLECTER, BIXLER, KRICK, WORLEY, KAUFFMAN, LEWIS, WESLEY, NIEBEL

George Glass, who died in Reading, April 30, 1893, was born in Robeson township, Berks county, Oct. 25, 1830, son of Jacob and Elizabeth Glass.

Mr. Glass grew up in his native county, attending the schools of Robesonia till he was seventeen, and there he learned the trade of a blacksmith, which continued to be his vocation all his life. For a number of years he remained in Robeson township, but in 1875 he decided to move, and accepted an offer to be blacksmith at the Eckert furnaces, near which he lived for the rest of his life. His death occurred when he was aged sixty-two years, six months and five days, and his remains were interred in the Charles Evans cemetery.

Twice joined in wedlock, Mr. Glass's first wife, whom he married Feb. 7, 1856, was Miss Anna Schlecter. She died leaving four children, as follows: Ida, widow of George Bixler; Calvin, m. to Miss Ellen Krick; Mary, m. to Frank Worley; and Anna, m. to Daniel Kauffman. He m. (second) Sept. 3, 1872, Catherine Lewis, who survives him. She was a daughter of Archibald and Mary (Wesley) Lewis. To this union also four children were born, namely; Ella, wife of H. E. Niebel, a photographer; Luther, employed at the Carpenter Steel Works; Emma, a milliner; and Elsie, a teacher. The late Mr. Glass, as well as the members of his family, belonged to the M. E. Church. He was a member of the local lodge of the K. of P., and in his political affiliations was a stanch Democrat.


GLASS, MARTIN W.

p. 1248

Surnames: GLASS, DAVIS, GEEHR, WEAVER, SLOUCH, PHILLIPS, MOORE, SEIFRIT, HILL, WESTLEY, KLINGER, HEILHINGER, WAGNER, GRIFFITH, REIFSNYDER, LEWIS, TROSTLE

Martin W. Glass, who since 1893 has been engaged in farming on his thirty-eight acre tract near Trostle's schoolhouse, in Brecknock township, Berks county, was prior to that time engaged in carpentering, following this trade throughout Berks and the surrounding counties.

George Glass, the great-grandfather of Martin W., was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, being an ensign May 17, 1777, in the Seventh company, Cap. Joseph Davis, Lieut.-Col. Balzar Geehr, and Col. John Weaver, having enlisted from Robeson township. (Pa. Archives, Fifth Series, Ed. 1906, vol. v. p. 217.) He was a native of Ireland, whence he had come to this country when a young man with his brother, Robert, who settled in Providence township, Lancaster county. How many children he had besides Jacob, the grandfather of Martin W. Glass, is unknown. Robert Glass, his brother, had an only son, James, who operated a farm in Providence township until his death in 1859, at the age of forty-five. He was a member of the M. E. Church and a Whig in politics. He was the father of five children, namely: Mary, born in 1832; Samuel, 1835; John, 1837; Eliza, 1840; and Susan, 1842, all of Lancaster County.

Jacob Glass, the grandfather of Martin W., was a farmer and stone mason in Robeson township, where he was also an early school teacher, as he was in Brecknock township. He was born June 1, 1795, and died Aug. 3, 1865, being buried at the Robeson (Plow) Church, of which he was for many years a member. Mr. Glass married Elizabeth Slouch, born March 23, 1800, who died May 17, 1865, and to this union there were born twelve children: Isaac, who lived in Robeson township; Martin; Jacob, who died single; Amos, who lived in Robeson township; George, who was a blacksmith of Reading; Joseph, a resident of Robeson township; Charles, who died in his twenty-third year; Elizabeth, m. John Phillips; Joanna, m. Jesse Moore; Mary, m. Joseph Seifrit; Kate, who died unmarried in 1878, in her forty-third year; and Ann, m. Jacob Hill.

Martin Glass, father of Martin W., was born in 1822, in Robeson township, and died there in 1900, having been a lifelong farmer in different parts of Berks county. He is buried at the Allegheny Church, of which he and his wife were members. Mr. Glass married Elizabeth Westley, daughter of Henry Westley, whose wife was a Miss Klinger. To. Mr. and Mrs. Glass were born the following children: Henry is a farmer of Brecknock township; Jacob died in boyhood; Martin W.; Margaret died in infancy; Amos, a farmer in Brecknock township, m. Ann Heilhinger; Elizabeth m. Joseph Wagner, of Mohnton; Hallawell died in boyhood; John m. Hettie Griffith and lives in Mohnton; and Wilson lives in Brecknock township, near the home of his brother, Martin W.

Martin W. Glass learned the carpenter's trade in youth with Samuel Reifsnyder, of Fleetwood, and this he followed from the twenty-first year until 1893, working at Fleetwood, Sinking Spring, Carlisle, in Cumberland county, and elsewhere. He is a skilled mechanic, and his services were continually in demand, but in 1893, he decided to engage in agricultural pursuits, and purchased his present farm of thirty-eight acres, where he is engaged in trucking. Mr. Glass has made a decided success of his new venture, and has stands Nos. 52 and 53 at the Bingaman street market, Reading, where he attends regularly twice a week. he is a Democrat in politics, and has served Brecknock township as school director since 1902. He and his family are members of Allegheny Church, of which he was a deacon for eight years, and he also served as Sunday-school superintendent at Bowmansville, Lancaster County.

On Dec. 25, 1881, Mr. Glass was married to Mary Ann Lewis, daughter of Archibald Lewis, of Robeson township, and two children were born to this union: Mamie, m. to Howard Trostle of Brecknock township; and Walter, unmarried, who is engaged in assisting his father on the farm.


GLASSER, JACOB D.

p. 1696

Surnames: GLASSER, SHADE, YOUSE, MOYER, HILBERT, HEYDT, BREIDIGAM, FOLK, SCHUMACHER, NOLL, HASSLER, RUPERT, DIEROLF, WENTZ

Jacob D. Glasser, a farmer residing at Lobachsville, was born in Rockland township, Berks county, July 4, 1864, son of Jacob Glasser and Sally Ann Shade, the latter a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Youse) Shade. He made his home with his maternal grandfather until his marriage, at the age of nineteen. He then began farming in Rockland township, living with his father-in-law, John Moyer, for one year. He then bought his present farm of seventy-six acres at Lobachsville, where he prospered greatly during the fifteen years he engaged in its cultivation. He owns a lot adjoining his farm, and in 1907 he erected thereon a modern brick residence, in which he now lives. In politics he is a Democrat, and at present is serving as roadmaster of his township. He and his family attend the United Evangelical church at Pleasantville.

On Aug. 25, 1883, Mr. Glasser married Hannah Moyer, and their three children are: Charles, born July 10, 1884, who farms his father's farm, m. Amanda Hilbert, and has two children, Russel and Harold; Sallie m. Osville Heydt, of Lobachsville, and has two children, Jacob and Paul; and Cora is at home.

Mrs. Hannah (Moyer) Glasser is a great-granddaughter of John Moyer, who lived in Rockland township, where he owned the farm now the property of Frank Breidigam. He had an only son John (2).

John Moyer (2), son of John, married Elizabeth Folk, and they are both buried at New Jerusalem Church. He was a farmer and owned a large tract of land in Rockland township. His home was the place now occupied by Frank Breidigam, at New Jerusalem. To John and Elizabeth (Folk) Moyer were born ten children, namely; John F.; Samuel, of Rockland township; David and Benjamin, who lived in Rockland township; Leanda, m. to Jacob Schumacher; Mary m. to Solomon Noll; Polly m. to Benneville Hassler; Elizabeth, m. to Daniel Rupert; Sally Ann, m. to William Dierolf; and Hettie, m. to Reuben Hilbert.

John F. Moyer, son of John (2) and Elizabeth, was born Feb. 27, 1833 in Rockland township, where he passed his life as a farmer, owning a farm of thirty-two acres. He died May 7, 1903, and is buried at Bertoletts Union Church Cemetery. He married Sarah Ann Wentz, born Aug. 10, 1829, died July 12, 1904. Their children were: Jacob, who died aged three years; Hannah; and two that died small.


GLASSER FAMILY

p. 1696

Surnames: GLASSER, KEEFER, FREDERICK, LEVAN, NEFF, WINK, SAILER, SANDER, MATTEN, THOMPSON, AUSMUS

The Glasser family was founded in America by Jacob Glasser, who emigrated to America on the ship "Patience," which landed at Philadelphia Sept. 19, 1749. The date of his settling in Maxatawny, Berks county, is uncertain, but in 1790 when the first Federal Census was taken, he was a farmer, and had three sons over sixteen years of age, and two daughters. He owned a large tract of land located along what is now the trolley road between Lyons and Kutztown. The "Glasser farm" is still pointed out as the farm now owned by Peter Keefer. It originally continued 170 or more acres.

Jacob Glasser, one of the three sons of Jacob, the emigrant, was born in Maxatawny township. He was a farmer on the farm of 170 acres, which he owned, known as the "Glasser homestead." He died about 1845, when seventy-five years old, and is buried at Mertz's Church at Stony Point, of which he was a Lutheran member. His children were: Hannah, m. to Henry Frederick; Susannah, who obtained fifty acres of the Glasser homestead, m. to John Levan; Sarah, who obtained a part of the Glasser homestead, m. to Jacob Neff; and David.

David Glasser, son of Jacob, was born in 1801, in Maxatawny township, on the Glasser homestead. The farm now consists of eighty-three acres of fertile land. David Glasser died in 1880, in his seventy-ninth year. His wife was Sarah Wink of Maxatawny, who died in 1884 in her eighty-fourth year, and both are buried at Kutztown. Their six children were: Mary, who died unmarried; Jacob; Lucy, m. to Enoch Sailer, of Reading; John, of Coffee Town, a suburb of Kutztown; James, of Reading; and Sarah, m. Daniel Sailer, of Reading.

Jacob Glasser, son of David and Sarah, was born in Maxatawny township, Nov. 11, 1837, and he was reared upon his parents' farm, remaining at home until he was of age. He was then for six years brakeman on the road running between Kutztown and Topton. One year after his marriage in 1860, he came to Kutztown, where he has made his home ever since, except for about fourteen years, three of which were passed in Reading, and three at Catasauqua, and seven at Allentown. Mr. Glasser now lives in his own house, which he built during the eighties. He and his family are Lutherans. In politics he is a Democrat.

On May 29, 1860, Mr. Glasser married Susan R. Sander, daughter of Henry Sander, late of Kutztown. Their children were: Evans, of Allentown; Lillie, of Norristown; Minnie, who died aged nine years; Maggie, m. to William Matten, of Kutztown; Emma, m. to William Thompson, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; Harry, of Wichita, Kans.; Jacob, who died in 1905, aged twenty-five years; Richard, of Maxatawny township; and Susan, m. to Elbert Ausmus, of Arkansas City, Kansas.


GLASSMEYER, WILLIAM RATHMAN

p. 1245

Surnames: GLASSMEYER, RATHMAN, FITTERLING, KOHL, KLEINGINNA, ZIEGLER, HOSHOUR, REITZ, SHUPP

William Rathman Glassmeyer, a substantial citizen of Cumru township, Berks county, who has been living retired sine 1902, was born on the farm he now owns, Dec. 9, 1843, son of Thomas and Mary (Rathman) Glassmeyer.

Joseph Glassmeyer, grandfather of William R., was a farmer in Exeter township, where he owned considerable land, and where the major portion of this life was spent. His children were as follows: Peter, who settled in Pottsville; George, who settled in York county, Pa.; Thomas; John; Jacob, who settled in York county; and two children who died young. Thomas Glassmeyer, father of William R., was born Dec. 22, 1804, in Cumru township, and his death occurred Jan. 18, 1891. He was an iron worker, employed at the Mount Penn furnace for thirty years, and he also owned the 100 acre farm now in the possession of William R. Glassmeyer. He married Mary Rathman, born June 6, 1808, who died Nov. 12, 1891, a daughter of Jacob and Barbara (Fitterling) Rathman, and to this union were born six children: Mary Ann, unmarried; Amelia m. Benjamin Kohl; Eliza Ann m. Benneville Kleinginna; Jonathan, who died single, in 1886, at the age of thirty-nine years; William R.; and Henry, who died in June, 1904, in his fifty-seventh year.

William R. Glassmeyer was reared on his father's farm, and obtained his education in the common schools, beginning farming for himself on his father's farm in 1867. He spent five years on this farm as a tenant, and in 1876 purchased it from his father, since which time he has been engaged in improving and cultivating it. In 1894 he build a fine, substantial barn, 40 x 76 feet, and his property in every details compares favorably with others in his locality. Of late years he has lived retired in Manhattan, where he owns a comfortable residence. In politics Mr. Glassmeyer is a Republican, and he and his family are Lutheran members of Allegheny Union Church, where his parents were buried.

Mr. Glassmeyer has been twice married, his first wife being Jestina Ziegler, who died in 1887, aged thirty-eight years, the mother of six children: John, Benjamin; William; Emeline m. Samuel Hoshour; Elizabeth m. Henry Reitz; and Winnie A., who died in childhood. In 1893 Mr. Glassmeyer was married to Emeline Shupp, born in 1855, who died in 1894. One child, Minerva, was born to this union.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:54:14 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.