Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

EMES, ADAM

p. 870

Surnames: EMES, WEITZEL, EMS, EMMS, HARNER, FRY, DUNDOR, HORNBERGER, DONDORE, FISHER, SCHNADER, AULENBACH, ARTZ, BORKERT, RINTZ, GOODHART, HUNTZINGER, YODER, MOHN, FLEISCHER

Adam Emes, one of the venerable citizens of Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, who has lived retired since 1905, was for many years engaged in farming in this township, where he is well and favorably known. He was born Sept. 5, 1826, in Cumru township, this county, son of John and Hannah (Weitzel) Emes.

Johan Georg Ems (Emes), born in Europe in 1694, came to America on the ship "Friendship," which arrived at Philadelphia, Oct. 12, 1741. In all probability he is the immigrant ancestor of this Berks county family, and the great-great-grandfather of Adam Emes. We find a record also of Valentine Emms, of Robeson township, Berks county, who in 1759 was a resident of that district and there paid a federal tax of ten pounds, which sum was equal in United States money to $26.60. This Valentine Emms may have been either son or brother of Johan Georg Ems.

John Ems (Emes), a farmer of Lower Berks county, below Reading, who also possibly owned a farm in Exeter township, was the grandfather of Adam Emes, and the father of these children: Abraham; James; William; John; Kate, who married Adam Weitzel, of Cushion Hill; and Polly, who married a Mr. Harner.

John Emes, father of Adam, was born below Reading, Nov. 16, 1802, and died June 25, 1881. He was a blacksmith and farmer and lived in Cumru, Bern and Spring townships, owning several different tracts of land. Mr. Emes married Jan. 15, 1826, Hannah Weitzel, born Dec. 22, 1799, who died aged eighty-two years, two months, two days, daughter of Christian Weitzel, and to this union there have been born the following children: Adam; Leah, born Sept 15, 1827, married Elias Fry; Augustus; a twin to Augustus died at birth; Mary, born Aug. 31, 1832, married Jacob Dundor; Eliza, born No. 22, 1829, married Peter Hornberger; Miss Catherine, born Dec. 18, 1833, resides on the homestead; Hannah, born Nov. 17, 1835, married Jonathan Dondore; and Miss Jane, born April 8, 1837, lived with her sister Catherine, and died March 27, 1908.

Adam Emes commenced attending the old German pay school in Bern township when the German song books, Psalter and New Testament were the text books, and his first teacher was a Mr. Fisher. When twenty-one years of age he commenced farming on his own account, on his father's farm in Spring township, which he later purchased, and which he operated for one year and a half, at which time his first wife died and he returned to his parents in Lower Heidelberg township. After his second marriage he commenced farming in Lower Heidelberg township a tract of about fifty-four acres, which he operated until 1905, and in that year retired. Mr. Emes owns several farms, the home one at Cushion Hill, consisting of sixteen acres and another at Fritztown of thirty-three acres. He was also engaged in the hotel business at Fritztown for some years conducting the "Farmers' Hotel" until 1880. He now lives retired in a sandstone house in Upper Fritztown, which was built in 1780 and which is still in a good state of preservation. Although past his eighty-second year Mr. Emes is well preserved both in mind and body, and in full possession of all of his faculties. His success in life has been due to his own efforts and he is highly esteemed as one of Berks county's representative citizens.

On Dec. 2, 1851, Mr. Emes was married (first) to Lucy Schnader, who died Jan. 20, 1853, aged twenty-eight years, daughter of William Schnader and wife (whose maiden name was Aulenbach). No children were born to this union, Mrs. Emes dying in confinement. In 1856 Mr. Emes was married (second) to Mary B. Artz, born May 1, 1838, daughter of John and Sallie (Borkert) Artz, and to this union there were born twelve children as follows: John J., born Nov. 9, 1857, residing in Iowa; Lucy Ann, who married Charles Rintz, of Edison, Pa; Annie Mary, who married John Goodhart, of Fritztown; Hannah E., who married Frank Huntzinger of Fritztown; James A., also of Fritztown; William H., of Fort Russell, Wyo.; Sallie I., who married Adam Yoder, of Moselem Springs, Pa.; Katie E., who married Allen Mohn, of Reading; Christie A. and Nathaniel D., who died young; Harrison E., born Nov. 7, 1878, died Nov. 20, 1903; Christian, born Jan. 28, 1880, who married Oct. 26, 1901, Sarah E. Fleischer, and they have six children, Clarence, Lillie, Stella, Elmer, Mabel and Ethel.

Mr. and Mrs. Emes are Reformed members of St. John's Church, of Sinking Spring, where Mr. Emes was a deacon.


EMRICH, ELIAS

p. 992

Surnames: EMRICH, ZECHMAN, PHILIPS, ROEDER, WERT, BENNER, BERGER, HENNY, UNGER, STROUSE, CHRIST, BOLTZ, SNYDER, MILLER, GASSER, WIDMER

Elias Emrich. In naming the representative agriculturists of Berks county, Pa., mention should be made of Elias Emrich, a substantial and practical farmer, whose fine tract of land is situated in Bethel township. Mr. Emrich was born Feb. 14, 1844, in Wayne township, Schuylkill Co., Pa., son of Solomon and Elnora (Zechman) Emrich.

The great-grandfather of Elias Emrich, "Stuffel," or Christophel Emrich, came from Germany at a very early day.

John Emrich, grandfather of Elias, was a native of Schuylkill county, and was a blacksmith and farmer, spending his life in his native community, where he died at the age of seventy-six years. His wife, Madeline Philips, was about the same age at the time of her death. They were members of the Lutheran Church. Their children were: John, Benjamin, Joseph, Solomon, Eliza (m. Daniel Roeder), and Michael.

The maternal great-grandfather of Elias Emrich was a native of Germany, from which country he came to America as a young man. His son, George Zechman, was born in Berks county, where he followed farming pursuits all of his life. He was a leading Republican of his community, and a pillar of the Lutheran Church. George Zeckman married Sarah Wert, and they had these children: Moses, a tanner in Bern township, Berks county, where he died; William, a watchmaker, went West; Lucy m. William Benner; Elnora became the mother of Elias Emrich; Sarah m. Benneville Berger; Leah m. (first) Joel Henny, and (second) F. Unger; Polly m. (first) Joseph Strouse, (second) John Christ and (third) John Boltz.

Solomon Emrich, father of Elias, was reared in Schuylkill county, where he remained until 1866, and in this year removed to Berks county, settling in Bethel township. Here he engaged in farming, which he followed during the remainder of his active life. He died in 1871, in his fifty-first year. He married Elnora Zechman who has attained more than four score years. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Emrich: Elias; Franklin, a farmer of Custer, Nebr.; Lewis, who died at the age of six years; Leanna, who died young; and Daniel, who died at the age of three years.

Elias Emrich was reared in the public schools of Schuylkill county, and in 1866 came to Bethel township, Berks county, with his parents, he having made his home here ever since. From 1872 until 1895 Mr. Emrich operated the homestead, in the latter year removing to his own farm of twenty-five acres, which is adjacent to Millersburg, although he still owns the old homestead of ninety-nine acres. He was also for some years interested in the timber business, and other enterprises have received his attention, he now being a stockholder in the Berks County Trust Company. He has always been enterprising, progressive and energetic, and is now rated among the most substantial farmers of the community. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been active in the ranks of his party, serving for eleven years on the school board, and as township clerk for some time. He is a member of and past officer in Bethel Lodge No. 820, I. O. O. F. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church.

In 1869 Mr. Emrich married Miss Henrietta R. Snyder, daughter of George W. and Mary (Snyder) Snyder, and they have had six children: Charles R., who resides on the homestead, m. Mary Miller, and has one child, Carrie; George T., a farmer and miller of Bethel township, m. Cora Gasser, and has one child; Harry Walter, a store-keeper who resides in Millersburg, m. Hattie Widmer, and has one child, Robert; Sallie is deceased; and two died in infancy.


EMRICH, LEVI J.

, pp. 579-80

Surnames: EMRICH, WAGNER, WEBER, MORGAN, MILLER, FAIR, KISSINGER, MOUNTZ, SCHLANKER, BENTZ, CALLANEY, WEIGHLEY, FRANTZ, BROWN, TROUTMAN

Levi J. Emrich, junior partner of the well-known milling firm of Wagner & Emrich, proprietors of the Womelsdorf Roller Mills, and an enterprising and progressive business man was born Nov. 10, 1857, in Tulpehocken township, Berks county, son of Daniel and Catherine (Weber) Emrich.

The great-great-grandfather of Levi J. Emrich came from Holland with his two brothers and first settled in New York State, whence they later came to Schuylkill county, Pa.

John Sebastian Emrich, the son of the emigrant, was a resident of Schuylkill county, and was the father of six children, among whom was Jacob, who was born in Schuylkill county. Jacob Emrich was a laborer most of his life, but in his later years purchased a small tract of land near Mount Aetna, Berks county, where he died in 1882. He married Susanna Morgan who died in February, 1905, and to them were born two children: Annie, who died at the age of twenty years; and Daniel the father of Levi J.

Daniel Emrich, father of Levi J., was born Dec. 4, 1839, in Schuylkill county, Pa., and died July 9 1904, being buried at Tulpehocken Reformed Church, He was a tanner by trade, and moved to Berks county in 1859, settling at Rehrersburg, where he worked at his trade. Mr. Emrich enlisted in Company H, 151st Pa. V. I., and served his country faithfully, although for six months of his enlistment he was sick in the hospital. Mr. Emrich married Catherine Weber, born Nov. 16, 1837, daughter of Samuel and Pauline (Miller) Weber, and she still survives and lives one mile west of Stouchsburg, along the Berks and Dauphin turnpike. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Emrich were as follows: Levi J.; Susan E. m. Levi Fair, of Reading; Miranda A. m. T. W. Kissinger, of No. 122 Oley street, Reading; Jerome P., a foreman of Myerstown, Pa., m. Kate Mountz, and has two children, Frank and Sallie; Frank L., a painter and paper hanger at Reading, m. Rosa Schlanker, and has one son, William; Wesley G., a cigar maker of Myerstown, m. Kate Bentz, and has three children, Edna, Grace and Wallace; Valeria m. John Callaney, superintendent of the American Iron & Steel Company, at Lebanon, Pa.; Amy F. m. Wallace W. Weighley, a cigar maker of Richland, Pa.; and Miss Alva, with her mother, conducts a small grocery store.

Levi J. Emrich attended the public schools of his native locality until reaching the age of sixteen years, and at this time went to learn the milling business with John G. Frantz, of Mount Aetna, Pa., remaining with this gentleman for two years. From this time until 1894 he worked at various mills, and in that year formed a partnership with Henry T. Wagner, under the firm name of Wagner & Emrich, and this connection has continued to the present time, with much success. The old Womelsdorf Mills, erected in 1815, by Martin Brown, were occupied by the firm in 1894, but were totally destroyed by fire on Jan. 13, 1900, and were replaced by the present excellent structure, which cost nearly $15,000. This building, which is three stories high, covers a floor space of :fifty square feet, and is equipped throughout with the latest and most highly improved machinery. The firm manufacture a high grade of flour, grain and feed, their best known brand being the IXL, for which there is a ready market not only locally, but all over the country. The partners are industrious, capable business men, and possess the full confidence of the community.

Mr. Emrich was married Aug. 6, 1892, to Ellen T. Wagner, born Jan. 30, 1862, daughter of Levi and Mary (Troutman) Wagner. Mr. and Mrs. Emrich are members of the Reformed congregation of Tulpehocken Church. In politics Mr. Emrich is a Republican, and fraternally he is connected with Golden Rule Lodge No. 159 I.O.O.F. of Womelsdorf.


ENDLICH, GUSTAV A.

, p. 793

Surnames: ENDLICH, MILLER, BAER, WOODWARD, RICHARDS, ERMENTROUT, DUFFIELD

Gustav A, Endlich, LL. D., law writer and jurist, was born Jan. 29, 1856, in Lower Alsace township, Berks Co., Pa., son of John and Emma N. (Miller) Endlich.

John Endlich was a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany (born March 30, 1819), and received a thorough education, embracing also a special training in music, for which art he evinced both original talent and early predilection. For a time he held a position in the government department of forestry, and in 1839 emigrated to America, locating in the city of Reading, Pa., where for some years he taught music and engaged in musical composition. His works in the department of sacred music, to which at a later period he devoted more especial attention, received highly favorable recognition both here and abroad, and were extensively employed in the liturgy and service of the Lutheran Church. In his political faith he was a Democrat of the old school, and in earlier life participated actively in various local and State campaigns of that party. In 1857 he was appointed by President Buchanan United States Consul to Basle, Switzerland, which post he held for four years. He married, in 1845, Emma N. (born April 15, 1819), daughter of the Rev. Jacob Miller, D. D., who was for forty-two years a prominent minister of the Lutheran Church, and from 1829 until his death, in 1850, pastor of the Trinity Lutheran Church of Reading. The children of this marriage who survived to maturity were: Emma A., Frederick M. and Gustav A., all of whom shared the intellectuality of the parents. Miss Emma Endlich is possessed of marked literary talent, which she has employed principally in the interests of the publications of the Lutheran Church, a number of her translations from the German and Swedish literature attesting her skill and proficiency in a department of labor to which she has devoted many years of her active and useful life. The late Frederick M. Endlich, who died in 1899, held the degree of Doctor of Natural Sciences from the University at Tbingen; was a specialist in mineralogy and geology, and for some years immediately previous to his death was engaged in that profession in New Mexico, California and Arizona.

During the interval between 1866 and 1872 Mr. John Endlich resided with his family in Germany, in order to give his sons the benefit of a thorough preliminary training in the schools of Stuttgart, Tbingen and Darmstadt. Distinguished for the purity of his life, the amiability of his character and the grace and dignity of his manners, he spent the evening of his days in retirement at his handsome country seat near Reading, his death occurring Jan. 18, 189'2, when well advanced in the seventy-third year of his age. His estimable wife, a lady of superior intellectual endowments, survived him until Sept. 14, 1899, dying at the age of eighty.

Having enjoyed the advantages of the training of the foreign schools mentioned, Gustav A. Endlich, the youngest son, upon the return of his family from Germany in 1872, entered Princeton University, where his aptitude and diligence in his studies attracted the favorable notice of the faculty, and secured for him first honors of his class in his junior year. He graduated with distinction in 1875, and in the same year began the study of law in the office of George F. Baer, Esq., a leading practitioner of the Berks County Bar, and was admitted to practice Nov. 12.1877. In the following year the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him by his Alma Mater. He was later admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and in 1887 to the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States.

His inclination to legal authorship was early developed, and in 1882 he published his first work, "The Law of Building Associations in the United States" -a volume of about seven hundred pages, of which he issued in 1895 a revised edition. The work has been recognized as standard authority upon the subject of which it treats, and has frequently been cited with approval by the highest courts in Pennsylvania and other States. This was followed in 1884 by a treatise on "The Law of Affidavits of Defense in Pennsylvania," which received equally favorable endorsement by the courts of the State, and in 1885 by two volumes of the Decisions of the Honorable Warren J. Woodward, President Judge of the several Courts of Berks County from 1861 to 1874, and subsequently an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. In 1888 Mr. Endlich published his most considerable work, which more than any other has contributed to the reputation of the learned author. This was the "Commentaries on the Interpretation of Statutes," a volume of between eight hundred and nine hundred pages, containing citations of upwards of eight thousand decided cases in illustration of the text. It is received as a leading authority in the courts throughout the country, and is not unknown to the profession in England, eliciting high commendation from Bench and Bar for its accuracy and completeness. In 1889, in association with Louis Richards, Esq., a fellow member of the Berks County Bar, likewise engaged in the literary line of the profession, he issued a treatise upon "The Rights an Liabilities of Married Women in Pennsylvania," a work mainly devoted to the elucidation of the then recent Act of Assembly of 1887, which materially enlarged the contractual powers of femes covert with respect to their separate property. With few exceptions the theories and opinions advanced by the authors upon questions arising for the first time in Pennsylvania subsequently received the approval of the Supreme and lower Courts.

The manifest qualifications of Mr. Endlich for the judicial office procured for him in the fall of 1889 the Democratic nomination, over a number of able and energetic competitors, to the position of Additional Law Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the Twenty-third (Berks) Judicial District. Elected at the general election of that year, he entered upon the duties of the office in January, 1890, for the term of ten years. Such was the general acceptability with which he discharged his official duties that upon the expiration of his term he was renominated and reelected, receiving at that time the compliment of an endorsement by the Republican party. Upon the decease, in August, 1908, of his colleague, the Hon. James N. Ermentrout, President Judge of the District, Judge Endlich was commissioned as his successor for the balance of his term. At the primary election in June, 1909, he was nominated for President Judge for the ensuing term of ten years from the first Monday of January, 1910, his election being regarded as a foregone conclusion.

During his twenty years' service upon the Bench his administration has been characterized throughout by unremitting industry, marked ability and official independence- qualities which have secured for him not only the general approbation of the Bar and people of his constituency, but a high reputation as a jurist throughout the State. No member of the Common Pleas Bench, it may be asserted, ranks higher as an authority in the law, or excels him in application, to business, celerity of method, and quick apprehension of the point at issue. His written opinions, now numbering upwards of one thousand, are models of research, accuracy and completeness, and contain much material of permanent value in the elucidation of the respective subjects considered. The large proportion of his decisions which have been affirmed by the Supreme and Superior Courts-many of them without comment other than unqualified endorsement-attest the general soundness of his judicial conclusions. By request of his judicial brethren in other districts, he has frequently presided in the courts of various counties of the State, in some instances for entire terms for the despatch of accumulated business, and in others to supply casual vacancies.

In addition to his official labors, Judge Endlich has found time to prepare and deliver addresses upon various topics of the law before law schools and Bar Associations in different parts of the State, many of which have appeared in the legal periodicals. An address upon the Law of Expert Testimony read before the Pennsylvania Bar Association at its annual meeting in July, 1898, attracted much attention from the profession at large as a scholarly and suggestive elucidation of a difficult subject. In 1903 he delivered the Commencement address before the law school of Dickinson College, and was honored with the degree of LL. D. by that institution. For several years immediately succeeding his first election he was editor of the Criminal Law Magazine and Reporter. In 1905 he was elected president of the Pennsylvania German Society, and in 1906, president of the board of trustees of Muhlenberg College, at Allentown, whose degree of Doctor of Laws he had received in 1898. At the annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Bar Association in July, 1909, he was accorded the distinguished honor of an election to the presidency of that body -- a position which has been filled successively by many eminent lawyers and jurists of the State.

In his political faith Judge Endlich is a Democrat, and previous to his election to the Bench participated actively in the affairs of that party. As a judge, it need hardly be said, he is influenced by no considerations of partisanship or favoritism, his impartiality being as distinguishing a feature of his official administration as his ability. In his church connection he is a Lutheran, having served for some years as an elder of the Trinity Lutheran Church of Reading, and a member of the executive committee of the Ministerium of Pennsylvania. As a citizen he is public-spirited, taking an active part in local organizations for the promotion of associated charities and social reform. Upright in character and life he possesses the personal respect and esteem of all classes of the community. He married in 1883, Amy Duffield, of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and of their four children two daughters are living.


ENDY, JAMES M.

p. 1137

Surnames: ENDY, MUTHARD, WENTZEL

James M. Endy, who is conducting a flourishing grocery business at No. 501 South Twelfth street, Reading, and is also engaged in other business enterprises, was born in 1862, near Colebrookdale, Berks county, son of Daniel H. and Sarah (Muthard) Endy.

Mr. Endy received his education in the schools of Earl township, his first work being on a farm, on which he lived until nineteen years of age. At this time he came to Reading, and for nine years was employed at the Reading Iron Works as a heater. In 1887, in company with his brother-in-law, he engaged in the grocery business at the corner of Twelfth and Cotton streets, still remaining in the iron company's employ, while his partner conducted the business under the style of Endy & Brown. In 1896 Mr. Endy gave up work at the mill and turned his attention to the grocery business. He has a finely equipped store, well stocked with fancy and staple groceries, fruits, canned goods, smoked meats, etc. In addition to this business Mr. Endy is engaged in building, as a member of the firm of Diener, Endy & Fisher. They have improved the southeastern section of Reading, building residences therein, and these are quickly being occupied. Mr. Endy bears an enviable reputation for honesty and integrity, and as a self-made man has earned the respect and esteem of his fellow-townsmen.

In 1886 Mr. Endy was married to Miss Amelia Wentzel, daughter of John and Maria Wentzel. Mr. Endy if a member of the I. O. R. M., the Knights of Malta and the Pennsylvania Immediate Relief Association. He is a Democrat in his political belief, but he has never sought office. He connected himself with Grace Lutheran Church about 1881, and has been a faithful member of that religious organization to the present time, having served on the consistory of that body for about three years.


ENDY, JOHN L.

p. 828

Surnames: ENDY, ENDE, RAPP, LAUCKS, FISHER, MANWILLER, ERMENTROUT, YODER, KNABB, ANGSTADT, FEGLEY, WEISER, FREYBERGER

John, L. Endy. Among the older generation of school teachers of Berks county, none has been a greater credit to the profession, or is more favorably known than John L. Endy, who was born in Oley township, July 7, 1842, son of Benjamin and Catherine (Laucks) Endy.

Jacob Ende, grandfather of John L. Endy, was born July 31, 1778, and died at Friedensburg, Pa., May 19, 1844. where he spent his life as a laborer. He married Catherine Rapp, born Feb. 6, 1769, who died Jan. 7,1841, the mother of two children: Solomon, who lived at Reading; and Benjamin.

Benjamin Endy was born Nov. 16, 1811, in Oley township, and there spent his life, being engaged in the weaving of linens, coverlets and carpets, a man well known and most highly esteemed in his community. He was married to Catherine Laucks, born March 23, 1816, who survives him, living near Friedensburg, and being well preserved in spite of her ninety-three years. She is a faithful member of the Lutheran Church, as was her husband. Seven children were born to Benjamin and Catherine Endy, namely: John L.; Mary died unmarried; Hannah married Henry Fisher, of Reading; Mahlon makes his home in Pittsburg; Rebecca, deceased, was the wife of Josiah Manwiller; Miss Emma lives with her aged mother: Louisa died at the age of three years.

John L. Endy was reared to agricultural pursuits on the old Laucks homestead, on which he now resides, and his education was obtained in the common schools and Oley Academy. He was licensed to teach in the public schools, in 1860, by Prof. John S. Ermentrout, and his first term as a teacher was spent at Sand Hill schoolhouse in Ruscombmanor township. In the fall of 1861, fired by patriotism, Mr. Endy enlisted in Company K, 93d Pa. V. I., for a term of three years, and later re-enlisted in the same regiment, serving therewith until the close of the war, at the end of which he held the rank of sergeant. He took part in all of the engagements of the Army of the Potomac, and throughout his service proved himself a brave and faithful soldier. After his return from the war, Mr. Endy resumed teaching, and has taught school in Oley township for twenty-six consecutive terms, being one of the best-known educators in this section of Berks county. Hundreds of boys and girls who attended school under him, and who have since proved their worth in the world, have reason to remember his wise teachings with gratitude, and he is highly esteemed by all who know him. He is the owner of the old Laucks homestead, a tract of twenty-two acres, as well as one of the old Yoder homesteads, 100 acres in extent, on which he built a new barn in 1907, 40x60 feet replacing the old structure which had been built in 1832. and which was destroyed by fire in 1907. During the summer months he spends his time in carpet weaving, and in this line has quite an extensive trade.

Prof. Endy and his family are members of Friedens Reformed Church at Oley, where he has been deacon and elder for many years. For a long period he was also active in the Sunday-school, being superintendent for ten years, and now acting in the capacity of assistant superintendent. In political affairs he has been a stanch Republican, and has filled a number of offices of some importance, including that of prison inspector during 1894-95, the only Republican to hold the office of secretary of the prison board up to this time, and committee-man of Oley township for a score of years. He has taken an active interest in public matters more for the public good than for personal gain, and his efforts in behalf of the community have been recognized and appreciated by his fellow-townsmen. In fraternal circles, he is identified with the Ringgold Council. 0. U. A. M., No. 23; Minnehaha Lodge No. 154, K. P.; Oley Castle No. 119, K. G. E., all of these being of Oley. He is secretary of the first named, having held the office since 1867, was master of records of the K. G. E. castle for the first ten years of its organization, and is a past officer of all the lodges.

On Sept. 22, 1866, John L. Endy married Sarah Knabb, born March 25, 1843, who died Oct. 13, 1895, daughter of John and Mary Knabb, of Oley township. There were six children born to this union, as follows: Annie m. Darius Angstadt, of Oley township; Ella m. Edward Fegley, of Reading; Thaddeus, formerly a schoolteacher for ten years, and now the driver of Rural Route No. 1, Oley m. Sallie Weiser, and they have three children: Marie, Solis and John; Sallie m. Thomas Freyberger, of Ruscombmanor township; and Misses Nora and Katie live at home, the latter having been a school teacher for the past four years, being located at Oley Academy in 1908.


ENGEL, JACOB S.

p. 973

Surnames: ENGEL, STRASSER, RAHN, BOSSLER, BAER, MOSSER, KOLLER, KERCHNER. REICHELDERFER, SNYDER, DAVIS, REINHART, GEISWEID

Jacob S. Engel, one of the well-to-do citizens and prominent residents of Shoemakersville, Berks county, was born on the original Engel homestead, in Perry township, March 14, 1864, son of Israel R. and Rebecca (Strasser) Engel.

Jacob Engel, the progenitor of this family in America, was a native of Germany, and crossed the ocean from Rotterdam in the ship "Friendship," landing at Philadelphia Nov. 2, 1744. He left his native land because of the war of the Austrian Succession (1741-48). After living in his adopted country for some years the French and Indian war broke out (1754-62), and he returned to the Fatherland. During the Seven Years War (1756-1763) he again embarked for the New World, and soon after landing the second time, settled in Windsor (now Perry) township, on the farm in the possession of Jacob S. Engel, and there died from the effects of a kick of a horse.

Jacob S. Engel, grandfather of Jacob S., was born in Perry township, March 21, 1795, and died March 16, 1870, in his seventy-fifth year. He was the second of the name to own the Engel homestead, and was a good, practical farmer, driving about once a week to Reading. He never was on a train, but did all his traveling on horseback. He owned 212 acres of land and was one of the heavy taxpayers of the township. He was a well-read man and during the latter years of his life found much pleasure in his large and well stocked library. He took much interest in the early educational matters in Berks county, and was one of the firmest believers in free schools of his day. He was very public-spirited, and movements calculated to be of benefit to the community had his heartiest approval. Mr. Engel was a thoroughly representative man of Berks county, and his death was a loss to his township, county and State. Mr. Engel married Catherine, daughter of Adam Rahn, and their children were: Rebecca m. Joseph Bossler; Henry (1820-1900) m. Susanna Baer; John m. Katie Mosser; Susan m. William Koller; Sabilla m. John Kerchner; Israel R.; and Reuben, Sarah and Caroline died in youth.

Israel R. Engel was born July 1, 1834, and died April 27, 1905. He spent his entire life on the farm now occupied by Jacob S. Engel, was very industrious and thrifty, and was a successful agriculturist. He was a man of progress, and like his father was greatly interested in educational matters in his community, being a school director for nine successive years. he was greatly respected in his community, and for upwards of twenty ears was a trustee of Mohrsville Union Church. On Oct. 24, 1857, Mr. Engel married Rebecca Strasser, daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Reichelderfer) Strasser, farming people of Windsor township (mentioned elsewhere). To Mr. and Mrs. Engel were born two children: Simon S., who died March 25, 1893, in his thirty-fifth year; and Jacob S.

Jacob S. Engel was reared upon the home farm, and was educated in the local schools, later attending the Kutztown State Normal School for three full terms. During the school term of 1883-84 Mr. Engel taught school in Bern township, but the following year accepted a clerkship with the large dry goods house of Fowler, Dick & Walker, at Wilkes-Barre, Pa. After filling this position acceptably for one year his father requested his services and he returned to the farm, where he remained until his removal to Shoemakersville in 1908. Mr. Engel was a thrifty and industrious farmer, his fine tract of 180 acres being in an excellent state of cultivation and still is under the efficient care of Mr. Daniel J. Snyder. The house, barns and outbuildings are in the best of condition. In March 1907, Mr. Engel bought property in Shoemakersville, consisting of a fine house and twelve acres of land. It is located in a choice section of the village, and the land is desirable for building lots. The family moved to this new home March 24, 1908. Mr. Engel is a public-spirited citizen and is much esteemed in his district. he and his family are consistent members of Gernant's Union Church of Ontelaunee township, being members of the Reformed denomination. He takes a deep interest in church work and was for many years treasurer of the church, in which he has been deacon since 1895.

Mr. Engel married on his birthday in 1887, Susan E. Davis, daughter of Cyrus and Priscilla (Kerchner) Davis, of Penn township. She died without issue, March 19, 1898. On Sept. 23, 1899, Mr. Engel married (second) Carrie M. Reinhart, daughter of Solomon and Emma (Geisweid) Reinhart, of Moselem. Mr. and Mrs. Engel have had four children, namely: Helen R., Israel R., Rebecca R. and Ella R.


ENGEL, LYMAN G.

p. 1540

Surnames: ENGEL, KEISER, FEATHER, STRENGER, RIEGER, WEIN, BILLARD SANDS, GRESH, WREN, GRIM, HELLER, PENNYPACKER, HAAS, FEGLEY, STAUFFER

Lyman G. Engel, for over thirty years a cigar maker at Boyertown, was born in Morysville, Feb. 1867. It is traditional that the Engels came original from Switzerland, and that they were of Jewish extraction; also that seven brothers came to the United States, of whom two located at Engelsville, one Pottstown, one in Amity township, one in Oley township, one in Windsor (now Perry) township and one in Reading. It is an historical fact that Engelsville a small hamlet in the southwestern part of Colebrookdale township, in Berks county, near the Montgomery line, was named for Peter and John Engel, farmers and coopers. At this place a public house was open by William Engel. In 1759 one William Engel was taxable in Amity township, and in the same year Andrew Engel resided in Reading. The record of Jacob Engel and his progeny, who located in Windsor township, is found elsewhere. The Pennsylvania archives record the names of thirty-two Engels who between 1754 and 1800 took up land by warrant from the state and paid federal tax.

Peter Engel, great-grandfather of Lyman G., lived at Engelsville, and was the founder of that town. In his early life he farmed in Montgomery county, owning two farms there, one of which was entirely paid for, and the other half unpaid. Owing to Continental money and his indebtedness on the one farm, he lost all he had. He then came to Engelsville, where he acquired some property. He died about 1859, at the age of seventy-four, and is buried at Boyertown. He married Elizabeth Keiser, and they had children as follows: William K.; Solomon, who lives at Pottstown, Pa.; Daniel, who in earlier life lived at Pottstown, and later moved to the homestead at Engelsville, where he died; Mary Ann, who married Jonas Feather; and Hannah, who married Godlieb Strenger.

William K. Engel, son of Peter, was born in Engelsville in 1804, and his death occurred May 25, 1863, and he was buried in Union cemetery, Boyertown. As a young man he engaged in brick making at Engelsville and elsewhere, but later he became a baker, cigar manufacturer and hotel keeper in his native town. He was very successful in whatever he undertook, and became the owner of the hotel which he operated. He served as supervisor of Colebrookdale township, His second wife, Elizabeth Riegner, bore him children: William, who died Oct. 26, 1863, aged twenty-three; Reuben R.; Joseph, born 1843; Peter, born 1844; Sophia, born 1837, who married (first) a Mr. Wein, and (second) Samuel Billard: Rachel, born 1841, living in Philadelphia; and Susanna, born 1850, who died young. Previous to his marriage to Miss Riegner, Mr. Engel had been married to a Miss Sands, who died leaving a son, Aaron, who died in Reading.

Reuben R. Engel, son of William K., was born in Engelsville, April 1, 1835. He never attended school, and his success in life was due entirely to his own unaided efforts. His father became proprietor of the hotel when young Reuben was but twelve years old, and two years later he began peddling cigars for his father. He began for himself in 1857, and in all was engaged in the cigar business, as salesman, or as manufacturer for fifty-seven years. For fifty years he manufactured cigars in Morysville, employing as many as forty hands. He was his own salesman. His home has been in Morysville since 1853. At present he has a small chop house, and sells soft drinks. Until the office was abandoned in 1865 he was government inspector of cigars. For twenty years he had a mercantile business at Morysville, beginning in a small way in 1869, and for one year he conducted a coal yard there. His cigar factory was erected in 1885. In politics he was a Republican. He and his family belong to the Reformed Church, and he has been deacon of the Reformed Church of the Good Shepherd for twenty years. On Oct. 13. 1853, Mr. Engel was married to Rebecca Gresh, daughter of Nicholas Gresh, of Montgomery county, and they have had five children: Ottemer of Pottstown; Lyman G., of Boyertown: Alam, a merchant at Morysville, succeeding his father; Ida, who married Andrew Wren, of Boyertown; and Mary, who married Clinton Grim, of Boyertown.

Lyman G. Engel, son of Reuben R., received his education in the common schools of Colebrookdale township, and in Mt. Pleasant Seminary. He passed his boyhood days in the villages of Morysville and Boyertown, and when old enough to work began clerking in his father's general store. When thirteen years old he learned the cigar maker's trade at Morysville, and this he has followed for over thirty years. He was foreman of T. J. Dun & Co.'s cigar factory about one year, and then accepted a like position with the Gabel Jones and Gabel Company, Boyertown, in whose employ he was for four years. He had from fifteen to twenty men under him, and proved a very efficient employe of the concern. He built a charming home on West Reading avenue, Boyertown, in the summer of 1907, and there he and his family reside. In politics Mr. Engel is a stanch Republican, and has served Colebrookdale township as committeeman for some years, and was delegate to the county convention for twenty-one consecutive times, being a most familiar figure there. With his family he attends the Reform Church of the Good Shepherd.

In 1887 Mr. Engel was married to Hannah Heller daughter of Abner R. and Mary (Pennypacker) Heller and they have children: Harry, born Oct. 21, 1887 a cigar maker at Boyertown, and deacon in the Church of the Good Shepherd, married Ella Haas, and has one child, Rebecca; Minnie married Harvey Fegley, and lives at Boyertown; Ida married Charles Stauffer, of Boyertown, and has a daughter, Dorothy; Warren unmarried and at home; William, born Nov. 24, 18__, is a gas manufacturer and stove molder by trade, and active in Church life; Emma, born Dec. 21, 1891, perished in the Opera House fire Jan. 13, 1908; Edith is attending school.


ENGLE, WILLIAM

p. 1197

Surnames: ENGLE, BAER, RAHN, SCHAPPELL, REPPERT, BAUSHER, STOYER, WANNER, DRIES, YOUNG

William Engle, a representative citizen and substantial farmer of Perry township, Berks Co., Pa., was born on the farm on which he now resides, April 9, 1850, son of Heinrich and Susanna (Baer) Engle, and grandson of Jacob Engle.

Jacob Engle, great-grandfather of William and the progenitor of this family in America, was a native of Germany, from which country he came on the ship "Friendship" during the Austrian war (1741-48). After living in America for some time the French and Indian war broke out here, and he returned to his native country, whence again he came to America after the close of the latter struggle. He then settled in Windsor (now Perry) township on land now in the possession of his great-grandson, Jacob S. Engle, and here he died in the latter part of the eighteenth century from the effects of a horse kick.

Jacob Engle, son of the emigrant, was born in Perry township, March 21, 1795, and died there March 16, 1870. He was an agriculturist and owned the Engle homestead of 212 acres, and frequently drove to market in Reading. He was a very intelligent man and was well-read, owning a large library. He took a great interest in educational matters and was one of the staunchest supporters of the free school system. Mr. Engle married Catherine Rahn, who bore him these children: Rebecca, Heinrich, John, Susan, Sabilla, Israel R., Reuben, Sarah and Caroline, the latter three of whom died young.

Heinrich Engle, father of William, was born in Windsor township, Oct. 5, 1820, and died in Perry township in 1900. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits all of his life and was a very influential man in his community, serving as school director of his township, and assisting in many ways toward the welfare of his locality. He was an official member of Zion's Union Church, to which his family also belonged. In 1846 Mr. Engle married Susanna Baer, daughter of John Jacob Baer, and to them were born these children: William; Isabella, m. to Adam Schappell; Priscilla, m. to Charles B. Reppert, a successful farmer and dairyman of Perry township; and Jacob.

William Engle obtained a limited education in the schools of his native township and for a number of years worked for his father at farm labor. He now owns and operates the eighty-acre tract, which his son Franklin helps him cultivate. He owns a seven-horse-power gasoline engine, which he uses to thresh, saw wood, and which also furnishes power to operate a machine that grinds all of the grain used by Mr. Engle in feeding his stock. He is a good, practical agriculturist, and a representative of his community. Politically Mr. Engle is a Democrat, but he has never held public office. He is interested in church work, and with his family worships at Zion's Union Church, of which he is a Reformed member. He was an elder in the church for three years. On Dec. 10, 1870, Mr. Engle was married to Catherine Isabella Bausher, daughter of Benneville and Christina (Stoyer) Bausher, farming people of Windsor township, and to this union have been born five children, namely: Henry R., who died when seven years old; Ellen S., m. to John Wanner; Franklin, m. to Katie, daughter of Ephraim Dries; Senora, m. to George Young; and Daniel J., who died in his third year.


ENGLE, WILLIAM

p. 376

Surnames: ENGLE, CRISHER, WARREN, FISHER, MERRICK, PALMER, MARSHALL, MOYER.

William Engle, a prominent and well-to-do businessman of Reading, who is the owner and operator of a paper box manufactory, was born in this city Dec. 5, 1843, son of Daniel and Mary (Crisher) Engle, grandson of John Engle, and great-grandson of Jacob Engle, who was an officer in the Continental army, and fought under General Warren at the battle of Bunker Hill. Jacob Engle was one of those who came from Germany to drill troops prior to the great struggle for freedom, and on peace being declared he received a large tract of land from the Government for services rendered. He settled upon a portion of this tract, which was located in Montgomery county, Pa., and there resided the balance of his life.

John Engle, grandfather of William, was born in Montgomery county, and operated a portion of the land deeded by the Government to his father, also carrying on a butchering business in connection therewith all of his life. He married and became the father of the following children: Jacob, John, Daniel, Samuel, and one daughter. As far back as is known the family were Lutherans in religious belief, and in politics were Whigs. Daniel Engle was born in 1809 in Montgomery county, and when seventeen years of age came to Reading, where he learned the coopering business, and for many years manufactured cedar hollow ware, becoming very successful. He retired several years prior to his death, which occurred July 2, 1894, and his wife passed away in 1887, aged seventy-six years. Eleven children were born to this couple, seven of which reached maturity: Anetta m. Daniel Fisher, of Philadelphia; Daniel is deceased; William H.; George is assistant superintendent of the Merrick Iron Company, of Philadelphia; Rosie m. Milton Palmer, of Reading, Pa.; Mary is deceased; and Richard is employed by his brother, William. In religious belief Mr. and Mrs. Engle were Lutherans. In political belief he was first a Whig, and later became a Republican.

William Engle received his preliminary education in the schools of Reading and later attended the Reading high school. When a young man he learned the trade of a cooper, which he followed for some years, and in 1886 engaged in the manufacture of paper boxes. Starting in a very small and primitive way Mr. Engle worked his way steadily upward, now owning one of the most complete plants in the State, and controlling some of Reading's best trade. He employs on an average twenty-five hands in his plant, which is located at Seventh and Walnut streets, and his business is steadily increasing. Mr. Engle was married in 1867 to Amanda Marshall, daughter of Dr. Jacob Marshall, and one son was born to this union, Walter, who is superintendent of his father's plant. Mr. Engle married (second) Katie Moyer, of Reading.

In 1862 Mr. Engle enlisted and went to the front with the Pennsylvania Militia, but in 1863 joined the Independent Ringgold Artillery. He is connected with the G. A. R. Mr. Engle is a Lutheran, while his wife is an Episcopalian.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:53:10 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.