Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

EACHES, JESSE E.

p. 982

Surnames: EACHES, DUNKLE, DRAKE, RUNYEON, STROHECKER

Jesse E. Eaches, junior member of the firm of Runyeon & Eaches, dealers in coal, wood, flour and feed, whose place of business is situated at the corner of Elm and Reed streets, Reading, Pa., was born Aug. 2, 1852, son of John F. and Rebecca (Dunkle) Eaches.

His grandfather, Jesse Evans Eaches, was a native of New England, of Welsh extraction, and spent the latter part of his life in Reading, Berks Co., Pa., where he died. He was at one time well-known as a stage man.

John J. Eaches, son of Jesse Evans, and father of Jesse E. Eaches, was for many years employed as a machinist by the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company. He and his wife had six children, namely: Benjamin F., William R., Albert W., Bessie, Adalaide and Jesse E.

Jesse E. Eaches received his literary training in the public schools of Reading, after leaving which he was employed with F. J. Drake, in the manufacture of jewelry, continuing in this position for two and one-half years. He then entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, for which he traveled from place to place for thirteen and one-half years as general utility man. On Oct. 11, 1882, Mr. Eaches engaged in his present business with George O. Runyeon, and they now have a well-established trade in Reading, their business honesty and integrity having won them the confidence of the people of the community. In 1892, on account of the large increase in business, the partners were obliged to seek larger quarters, and erected their present building, a three-story brick at Elm and Reed streets.

Mr. Eaches was married in 1877 to Laura A. Runyeon, daughter of George W. and Julianna C. (Strohecker) Runyeon , of Reading, Pa., and children as follows have been born to this union: Lester M., Florence M., Laura M., Beulah C., and Julia A.

In politics Mr. Eaches is neutral, taking only a good citizen's interest in public matters. He is a member of the Reformed Church, while his wife is connected with the Lutheran denomination. Mr. Eaches is a Mason of high standing, being a member of Reading Lodge, No. 435, Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, Reading Commandery, No. 42, and the Mystic Shrine.


EACHES, MARCUS BEHM

, p. 509

Surnames: EACHES, OWEN, DAMPMAN, FRANCIS, McCORMICK, SHAFER

Marcus Behm Eaches, business manager of the Reading Herald, was born in Reading April 15, 1869, and with the exception of one brief interval has been identified with printing and the newspaper business practically from the time he was thirteen years old. At that age, in 1882, he entered the printing office of B. F. Owen, Nos. 515 and 517 Court street, Reading, and there served at the case and trade until 1889. In the latter year he became pressman in the employ of John B. Dampman, owner of The Reading Herald, then located at No. 506 Court street In the spring of 1890 he was advanced from pressman to advertising solicitor, which position he held until 1895, when he changed to the Reading Eagle, having charge of the Eagle Book Store as manager for a period of twelve months. Following that, for about seven months, he was with the Pennsylvania Telephone Company as special agent, in November, 1896, returning to his connection with the Herald, with which he has remained ever since. He was advertising manager for three months after his return to the Herald, and was then appointed business manager, which position he has since occupied. Mr. Eaches takes pride in the fact that his association with the Herald covers a period of substantially twenty-eight years, as he was one of the first carrier boys on the Spirit of Berks (started by Daniel Francis and issued early in 1881), predecessor of the Herald, and has since retained his interest and connection.

During the Spanish-American war the Herald, originally a morning paper, under the new ownership of William McCormick, the present proprietor (the business being looked after by Mr. Eaches), added an afternoon edition, running two complete papers from one equipment. The business of the afternoon edition so overtopped that of the morning edition that after a period of about eight months the morning edition was dropped altogether.

Mr. Eaches long ago demonstrated his reliability and worth in his chosen field. To his energetic and progressive tactics the paper owes much of its popularity and success, and its steadily increasing growth is the best commendation of his policy. He is a man who has been successful, judged from the broadest standpoint, and not merely by the financial standards. In his active career he has seen much of his country and has a wide acquaintance with associates in the same line of interest. He is a member of Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M., the Press Club, and St. Paul's Reformed Church.

In 1892 Mr. Eaches married Mrs. Kate Shafer, and has one son, Robert Morse Eaches, born Dec. 28, 1894. The family residence is at No. 1154 Franklin street, Reading.


EAGELMAN, C. F.

, p. 978

Surnames: EAGELMAN, AULENBACH, BEARD, BONAPARTE, HAFER, SEIDEL, BRISSEL, BERGNER, LANGNER, KNAPP, ZERR, WOLF

C. F. Eagelman, a prosperous farmer of Union township, Berks county, who owns an excellent farm of 127 acres, was born Sept. 3, 1841, at Moselem Springs, Pa., son of C. Ferdinand and Catherine (Aulenbach) Eagelman.

Charles Frederick Eagelman, grandfather of C. F., was born at Osnabruck, Hanover, Germany, May 12, 1782, and emigrated to this county in 1802, landing at Baltimore, Md., where he remained a few years, and where he learned the coachmaking trade, his last piece of work executed being the body of a coach for Jerome Bonaparte. He then removed to Berks county, Pa., and engaged in teaching school for a number of years and officiating as organist for several German churches. About 1830 he removed to Reading and was associate editor of a publication called Der Readinger Democrat. He was a man of great scientific attainments and an expert astronomer. For a period of forty-three years he made the astronomical calculations for the principal almanacs published in the United States. He was also a skillful artist in copper plate engraving, and executed a number of superior designs. Mr. Eagelman died in Reading, Nov. 30, 1860, aged nearly seventy-nine years. His residence was at the northwest corner of Ninth and Penn streets, and he left to survive him: C. Ferdinand; Edward; Charlotte, m. to Daniel Hafer; Julia, m. to Henry Hafer; Wilhelmina, m. to Solomon Seidel; Catherine, m. to John Brissel; Amelia, m. to Dr. H. W. Bergner, and two grandchildren, Solomon and Lydia Seidel, children of his daughter Henrietta, who had married Solomon Seidel.

C. Ferdinand Eagelman, father of C. F., was born Jan. 30, 1811, and died in 1885. He was a musician of some note, and for many years was organist in the Moselem Springs Church. He also kept a general merchandise store at Moselem Springs, and for a number of years taught school in that vicinity. His wife was Catharine Aulenbach.

C. F. Eagleman owns a fine farm of 127 acres, on which he resides. The land is fertile and in a high state of cultivation. He also is the owner of twelve acres near Birdsboro, on which has been discovered a rich vein of mineral ore, containing gold, silver and copper. Mr. Eagelman is the patentee of a glass burial casket hermetically sealed. In 1906 Mr. Eagelman was a candidate on the Republican ticket for the office of representative from Berks county, and ran far ahead of the ticket. In 1908 he was a candidate for the office of State senator. He is held in high esteem by the citizens of his community.

In 1863 Mr. Eagelman married Mary Beard, born near Joanna, in Robeson township, in 1842, and to them were born the following children: Anne, born in 1865, m. J. R. Langner; Mabel, born in 1868, m. William Allen Knapp, of Washington, D.C., and has one daughter, Margaret Eagelman, born in September 1907; Alice, born in 1874, m. J. H. Zerr, of Philadelphia, and has two children - Karl (born in September, 1900) and Alice (born in August, 1908); Margaret, born in 1879, m. Arthur Wolf, of near Geigertown, and has one son, Charles Frederick, born in July, 1906; James Garfield, born in 1880, m. Eva Zerr, and has one son, Edward, born in 1908; and C. F., Jr., born in 1883, resides at home with his father.


EARL, SAMUEL F.

p. 1577

Surnames: EARL

Samuel F. Earl, an artist in reading from 1840 to 1852, was born May 13, 1819, and after receiving a general education directed his attention to landscape painting and was ultimately recognized as a clever artist, a number of his pictures possessing considerable merit. He died Feb. 8, 1852. He was a brother of E. W. Earl, who was engaged in the banking business at Reading for a time and subsequently filled a position in the United States Mint at Philadelphia for a number of years.


EARLY FAMILY

p. 443

Surnames: EARLY, EARLEY, OEHRLE, OEHRLIN, EHRLE, ENDRISS, FENSTERLE, ALGAIER, HARTMAN, BRUMBACH, DEININGER, SICHELE, BERGER, DEININGER, EARNEST, LONGNECKER, HIRSCHE, HERSHEY, LAUDERMILCH, KREIDER, WOLFERSBERGER, HIESTER, DETWEILER, WILLIAMS, DASHER, SCHAEFFER, EGGERS, BECHTEL, GARMAN, YEAGER, GRIM, VAN HOFF

There are a dozen or more distinct families in the United States bearing the name of Early or Earley. Some are of English origin, some of Irish, and others of German and Swiss descent, but by far the larger number trace their line to the German Fatherland.

Older generations of the family to which this sketch is especially dedicated spelled the name Oehrle, or Oehrlin or Ehrle, and Thomas Oehrle went from Lauffen, Wurtemberg, and settled at Jesingen, Oberamt Kircheim, in that Kingdom. In 1670 he married Agatha Endriss. Whether he first settled there and then married, or whether he came there immediately after his marriage is not known, but it seems likely that he met his wife while traveling as a journeyman. They had nine children: John George, born 1672; Anna Mary, 1673; John, 1675; Agnes, 1676; Agatha, 1677; Jacob, September, 1679; Barbara, 1681; Rosina, 1684; and Thomas, May, 1687. The mother died in 1711. There is no record of the father's death.

(II) Thomas Early, youngest son of Thomas, born in May, 1687, became very prominent. He was a school teacher, and later became court clerk at Jesingen. On Feb. 25, 1710, he married Margaret, daughter of Jacob Fensterle, judge and treasurer of the town. She died Feb. 8, 1735. Nine children blessed this union, as follows: Thomas, born 1710, died 1713; Christine, born 1712; John Jacob, born 1714, died 1717; John Martin, born 1716, died 1717, Anna Catharine, born 1718; Anna Margaret, born 1721, died in infancy; George and John Jacob (twins) born 1722, both died under five years of age; and John, born Jan. 9, 1724. Thomas Early married (second) Christine, daughter of Conrad Algaier, then judge of Jesingen. This marriage occurred either late in 1735, or early in 1736. To this marriage were born: Thomas, born 1736, died in 1746; John George, born 1738, died in 1746; Agnes, born in 1738, died in 1741; Anna Barbara, born 1741, married George Hartman, a farmer at Jesingen, and died in 1798; Christine, born in 1743; and Conrad, born in 1746, died in 1747. Thomas, the father, died Nov. 25, 1746, aged fifty-nine years and six months.

(III) John Early (Johannes Oehrle), youngest son of Thomas by his first marriage, left Jesingen, Kircheim, An der Teck, Wurtemberg, for the New World, arriving at Philadelphia in the ship "Brothers" Aug. 24, 1750. He immediately proceeded to Londonderry township, Lebanon (then Lancaster) county, but before January, 1752, he had become a resident of Reading, Berks county. On January 6th of that year at a congregational meeting he was elected one of a committee to superintend the erection of a church for the newly organized congregation. His name also appears in the first list of contributors toward its maintenance. On April 10, 1753, he married Susanna Brumbach. One child, Christian, was born to them Jan. 13, 1754, and some time between the middle of October and second week of November, the wife and mother died (according to records of Trinity Church) in the faith of the Reformed Church. Shortly after the death of his wife John Early left Reading to settle on the banks of the Swatara. At first he settled about a half mile southwest of Bindnagle's Church, on a part of the original Bindnagle tract. In February, 1773, he purchased an additional tract of 233 acres, named "Betimes" in the original survey made for the Rev. Leonard Deininger in 1751. To this tract John Early at once moved, and in 1790 he sold the northern part to his son Christian, and the remainder passed into the hands of his son John. On March 11 (Stoever says March 10), 1755, he married Mary Regina, daughter of John Albrecht Sichele; she was quite young, possibly not more than eighteen. To this marriage was born the following family: John, born July 31, 1757; John William, Aug. 10, 1763; Thomas, Nov. 4, 1767; Anna Catharine, July 7, 1772; Anna Margaret, Feb. 28 (or March 1), 1779; and four others who doubtless died in infancy, as their names are not recorded. John Early died Oct. 19, 1796, aged seventy-two years, nine months, ten days, and is buried at Bindnagle's Church, where his grave is marked by a red sandstone. He was a man of wide influence. On Dec. 31, 1769, he started the endowment of Bindnagle's church by a gift of seven pounds and eight shillings, and he was one of the trustees of a fund left by George Berger in 1788, for the same purpose. Tradition says his second wife, who survived him many years, she being of record as sponsor at the baptism of Jacob Early, son of J. William, in 1811, was buried beside him at Bindnagle's church. John Early's "pass," which he used as a journeyman, was preserved many years, but was lost finally at a Harrisburg printing office.

(IV) John Early, eldest son of John and his second wife, Mary Regina, born July 31, 1757, married, Sept. 4, 1777, Margaret, daughter of John Adam Deininger. Their children were: Magdalena, born Feb. 24, 1778, married David Earnest, near Hummelstown; John Jacob, born Dec. 12, 1779; John William, born March 5, 1782; and Daniel, born Feb. 9, 1784, died March 4, 1813. Immediately after his marriage John Early settled on the old "Betimes" homestead, and lived there the rest of his life. He acquired considerable property, and to the original homestead he added that part of the Joseph Longnecker farm lying outside and south of the town of Palmyra. His estate as inventoried by his executors amounted to a modest fortune, but much of it was in notes on which he was the security, and these were practically valueless. He also owned land in Center and Bedford counties. He was commissioned Aug. 27, 1790, justice of the peace for the third district of Dauphin county, embracing Londonderry and Annville townships. Some warrants issued by him and served by his brother Thomas, who was a constable, are still in existence, one of them bearing the date, September, 1799.

Mr. Early had the usual experience of those who attain prominent position, and suffered many annoyances caused by petty jealousy, in one case being accused of stealing a wagon wheel, when the prosecutor had not the least ground for his accusation, and instead of humiliating Mr. Early was obliged to pay heavy costs for his folly. Mr. Early was one of the organizers of the Evangelical Lutheran congregation at Campbellstown in 1792, and this accounts for the fact that when the new Bindnagle's church was erected in 1803 his name seldom appears. He died March 1, 1810, aged fifty-two years, seven months, and his widow survived until Aug. 8, 1811. The records at the Church at Campbellstown state that they were buried there, as was also their son Daniel, who died in 1813.

(V) John William Early, son of John and Margaret (Deininger), born March 5, 1782, was better known as "Squire William Early." He died Dec. 12, 1863, aged eighty-one years, nine months, seven days, the first of the family to attain such advanced years. He was twice married. On March 2, 1801, he wedded Catharine Hirsche (or Hershey), born in 1780. To this union came seven children, namely: (1) Margaret, born May 1, 1802, married Oct. 7, 1830, Henry Laudermilch, and died in 1889. (2) Benjamin, born Dec. 11,1803, died May 5, 1827, while pursuing his theological studies at the newly established seminary at Gettysburg. (3) Catharine, born March 22, 1805, died May 31, 1811. (4) John, born Oct. 10, 1806, attained the age of ninety-one years and nearly six months. (5) William was born Sept. 13, 1808. (6) Jacob, born Sept. 8, 1810, lived only a little over nine months. (7) Jacob (2), born June 2, 1812, died when eight years of age, falling, says family tradition, from one of the large poplars in front of his father's home. Mrs. Catharine (Hirsche) Early died Aug. 1, 1815, aged thirty-five years. On Jan. 30, 1816 (Jonestown church record made by Rev. J. H. Van Hoff), Squire William Early married (second) Christina Kreider (cousin to his first wife). She was a daughter of a Mennonite preacher who ministered unto the people for sixty years. To this marriage also were born seven children: Catharine, born Nov. 7, 1816, married Gabriel Wolfersberger, and died in Harrisburg, where all her sons, except Reuben, of Palmyra, reside; Joshua Hiester, born Jan. 25, 1818, died 1903; Martin German, born Jan. 10, 1820, died 1900; Christina, born Oct. 6, 1821, died 1902, married about 1847-50 Thomas Getz; Mary Magdalene, born Nov. 26, 1822, died Sept. 22, 1846; Elizabeth, born August 24, 1824, died in infancy; and Aaron Daniel Seth, born May 14, 1828, died 1907, became a local preacher of the United Brethren. On Dec. 2, 1823, John William Early, father of the above family, was appointed by Gov. Joseph Hiester justice of the peace. Soon after his appointment the common school law was enacted and he took a very active part in the ensuing bitter controversies, being a stern opponent of the public school system. Not alone did he oppose it by words, but he donated land on which a school house in which to teach the German language was erected. It was still standing a few years ago, but had long since become a public school.

(VI) William Early, third son of John William Early, was born in Londonderry township, Lebanon county, Sept. 13, 1808. His education was acquired in special and private schools of his day, and he early turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, following that line all his active life, owning the farm previously owned and occupied by his father. His death was caused by a fall, and it occurred Oct. 12, 1876, when he was a little past sixty-eight years of age. He married Leah Detweiler, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Williams) Detweiler. To bless this union came six children, namely: John William; Henry; David; Leah, who died aged four years; Mary L., who died aged one year; and one that died in infancy unnamed. In their religious faith the family were all Lutherans.

(VII) Rev. John William Early, son of William, is active in the ministry of the church of his fathers, the Evangelical Lutheran. He was born near Palmyra, Londonderry township, Lebanon county, Sept. 3, 1835. His boyhood days were spent on his father's farm. For about three years he attended a private school in charge of Alexander Dasher, and then the common schools, after their introduction. He entered the preparatory department of Pennsylvania College in 1852, and graduated in 1857. After a year spent at home recruiting shattered health, he, in the fall of 1858, entered the Theological Seminary, and was ordained by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania, June 7, 1860. After supplying the pulpit of St. Michael's, Germantown, during the sickness of the pastor, Dr. C. W. Schaeffer, he took charge of congregations in Lancaster county, Pa. He spent eight years in that county, and then removed to the northern part of the State, serving congregations at Selinsgrove, Stone Valley, Danville, etc. Having spent twenty-five years in that section he came to Reading to be near his sons, employed there, also to be where he could be nearer the sources of historical and genealogical research in which he was interested.

He was secretary of the Fourth (or Lancaster) Conference from 1861-68, of the Fifth or Northern District from 1869-75. He filled the office of president of this latter Conference from 1874-77, and again from 1880-83.

Since residing at Reading the Rev. Mr. Early has prepared and published the "Lives of Lutheran Ministers of Berks County"; likewise "Sketches of the Lutheran Congregations of Berks," besides preaching whenever occasion offered, and acting as Statistician of the Conference until 1908.

On Jan. 8, 1861, he married Jane M., eldest daughter of Rev. L. G. Eggers, then pastor of the Stouchsburg parish. Their children, all residing in Reading, are: Lewis Gustavus, of No. 121 South Ninth street, Reading, night editor of the Reading Times, m. Anna Bechtel, and has two children, George William and Annetta Margaret. Martin Luther, a carpenter at No. 505 South Fifth street, m Magie E. Garman, and has seven children --Paul Frederic (now at No. 1931 East Monmouth street, Philadelphia, m. Kathryn Yeager, and has two children, Paul William and Ellen Henrietta), Jennie Eliza, Ella Miranda, John William, Jr., Leah Esther, Charles Garman and Clarence Robert (at home); Henrietta Catharine m. Harry W. Grim, No. 939 Ritter street, and has two children, William George and Ralph Early; David Frederic, No. 141 South Sixth street, m. Margaret H. Hiester, and has one child, Albert Hiester; John Henry, assistant to his brother in the Times office, is at home; and Leah Jane is also at home.


EARLY, JOHN WILLIAM (REV.)

p. 1628

Surnames: EARLY, DUTWEILER, SCHAEFER, EGGERS, BECHTEL, SHERIDAN, GARMAN, YEAGER, EISENHOWER, HIESTER, GRIM

Rev. John William Early, of Reading, was born near Palmyra, Lebanon county, Pa., Sept. 3, 1835, son of William and Leah (Dutweiler) Early. He is a direct descendant of John Early, who arrived in Philadelphia from Germany, in 1750. His ancestors were intimately connected with the history of Lebanon county. Graduating from Gettysburg in 1857, the Rev. Mr. Early was ordained to the Lutheran ministry June 7, 1860, in St. Paul's Church, Philadelphia, and is now one of the oldest and most widely known clergymen of that denomination. He has served parishes in Lancaster, Snyder, Dauphin, Montour and Lycoming counties. Since retiring from the active ministry he has devoted much of his time to church and biographical history, on which subjects he is an authority. In 1861, he married Jane Margaret, daughter of Rev. Lewis G. and Leah (Schaefer) Eggers, the former one of the Lutheran church pioneers of western Berks. They have six living children, all of Reading.

Lewis G. Early, the eldest, was born in Lancaster county May 20, 1862. He married Annie Estella, daughter of George W. and Ellen (Sheridan) Bechtel, of Reading, and they have two children, George William and Annetta Margaret. Mr. Early learned the printer's trade in his youth at Danville, Pa., and coming to Reading about 1882 worked as a compositor in the Eagle office and Owen's book and job office for a number of years, when he became city editor of the Reading Herald, which position he filled for ten years. He has been night editor of the Reading Times since 1898. He was one of the founders of the Reading Press Club and the International League of Press Clubs, serving as president of the former organization for sixteen years and as secretary of the latter for five years.

Martin Luther Early, the second son, was born Aug. 3, 1865. He is a carpenter by trade and has had charge of many important building operations in Reading. He married Maggie E. Garman, of Trevorton, Pa., and they have seven children: Paul Frederick (m. to Catherine Yeager, of Reading); Jennie E., Ella M., John William, Jr., Leah E., Charles G., and Robert C.

John Henry Early, the third son, was born Nov. 26, 1871. After learning the printer's trade, he served as a reporter on the Reading Herald and Reading Times for a number of years. He is now assistant city editor of the latter newspaper. He married S. Emma Eisenhower, of Reading.

David Frederick Early, the fourth son, born March 22, 1874, is a machinist, with automobile building as a specialty. He married Margaret H. Hiester, of Reading, and they have one child Albert Hiester Early.

Henrietta C. Early, the elder daughter, married Harry W. Grim, of Millersville, Pa., and they have two children, William George and Ralph Early. They live at Reading.

Lydia J. Early, the younger daughter, lives with her parents at Reading.


EBERLY, HARRY E.

p. 1205
Surnames: EBERLY, EBLING, LUTZ. KURTZ

Harry E. Eberly, who is engaged in the produce business at No. 305, South Sixth street, Reading, was born at Blainsport, Pa., in 1867, son of Henry and Anna (Ebling) Eberly.

Henry Eberly, who for twenty-three years was a storekeeper and hotel manager, is now living retired. He and his wife, Anna Ebling, had seven children: Maggie, deceased; Emmeline; Katie; Harry E.; Frank; Stephen and Amy N.

Harry E. Eberly received his education in the schools of Lancaster county, after leaving which he secured employment as a tobacco stripper, meanwhile learning the trade of cigar-maker. He later went into the buttermaking business, having charge of creameries in Lancaster and Snyder counties, and in 1893 started into the creamery business in Denver, conducting it for two years. He next located in Snyder county, where he continued the same business, but five years later returned to Denver, where, with J. B. Kurtz, he again engaged in business. He purchased the Stevens, Durlach and Muddy Creek creameries, and also operated at Red Run, Bowmansville, Reinholds and Maiden Creek. In 1903 the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Eberly retaining the Maiden Creek creamery and purchasing one at Kempton, which he still retains He also buys and handles poultry, eggs, etc., had has a large trade, operating an automobile and delivery wagons. He attends the Farmers' Market, at Reading, Pa., occupying stalls Nos. 22 and 24.

Mr. Eberly was married to Miss Alice L. Lutz, of Stevens, and to them have been born three children: Flora, Roy and Myra. They are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Socialist, while he is fraternally connected with Middleburg Lodge No. 619, F. &. A. M., Snyder county; the I. O. O. F.; and P. O. S. of A.


EBERLY, JOSEPH

, p. 649

Surnames: EBERLY,, PEIFER, NEWCOMER, PEIFER,, FLICKING, CONRATH,, SHARMAN, FISHER, WENRICH, GROMIS

Joseph Eberly, whose death on Feb. 23, 1897, removed one of the most prominent and influential men of Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, resided on an attractive and productive farm of sixty acres. He was born March 23, 1809, in Lower Heidelberg township, son of Christian and Christina (Flicking) Eberly.

The Eberly family, which is of German descent, was founded in this country by Peter Eberly, who emigrated from Wittenberg, Germany, in the latter part of the eighteenth century, and soon after landing settled in Lower Heidelberg township, on the farm now occupied by Peter Peifer, near Fritztown.

Peter Eberly, grandfather of Joseph, was also a farmer of Heidelberg township, and purchased 250 acres of land near Cushion Hill from pioneer Welsh settlers. His wife, who was a Newcommer, of Lancaster county, Pa., accompanied her parents from Germany when a child. Peter Eberly and his wife are buried in a private cemetery on their property at Cushion Hill, this burying ground being surrounded by a three-foot wall, and they have rough sand stones, on which there are no inscriptions, for tombstones. They had six children, namely: Peter, who settled in Lancaster county, had a grandson, Peter (resides at Mohnton, Pa.); Michael was a farmer of Lancaster county; Christian; Daniel lived on the farm now occupied by Peter Peifer at Fritztown; one daughter married a Mr. Hauschen (?), and located in Cumberland county; and a daughter of whom there is no record.

Christian Eberly, father of Joseph, was born in Lower Heidelberg township in 1759, and died in 1827, in his sixty-ninth year. He was a successful farmer and owned two large properties, one of eighty acres near Wernersville. In 1813 he built a stone house on his farm near Montello, and here his death occurred. He conducted the Eberly mills for a number of years. Mr. Eberly married Christina Flickinger, daughter of Joseph Flickinger, of Lancaster county, and they had these children: Elizabeth, who died unmarried at the age of eighty-four years; Susan, who died unmarried, aged fifty years; Samuel, who married Nancy Conrath and lived and died on the farm near Cumru township, and had two sons, Samuel and Isaac; Catherine, who died at the age of eighteen years; and Joseph.

Joseph Eberly was a lifelong farmer, and owned the tract of sixty acres, on which was situated the Eberly sawmill, which later became a gristmill, and was finally turned into a factory, being abandoned in about 1901. Mr. Eberly was a well known and influential citizen, and had the respect and esteem of all. He was a Republican in politics, and his sons are now following his party principles. Mr. Eberly was a member of St. John's Reformed Church, where the family have a nice burial plot.

In 1837 Joseph Eberly was married to Martha Sharman, born Jan. 22, 1815, who died Feb. 22, 1894, aged seventy-nine years, one month, daughter of Henry and granddaughter of John Sharman, of Cumru (now Spring) township. To Mr. and Mrs. Eberly were born these children: Samuel, born Jan. 26, 1838; Emanuel, born Feb. 21, 1840, a coachmaker at Fritztown, m. Mary Fisher, daughter of William Fisher and has a daughter, Catherine; Christian, born Aug. 3, 1842; Enoch, born Jan. 3, 1844; Eliza, born Aug. 27, 1846; Henry died aged nine years, ten months; Joseph, born Jan. 29, 1852, died Jan. 23, 1907, aged fifty-five years, m. Annie Wenrich; and William, a carpenter, and deacon of the Reformed Church at Sinking Spring, m. M. Alice Gromis, and has one son, Wellington. Samuel, Christian, Enoch and Miss Eliza Eberly are all unmarried, and reside together near Montello, on the Lancaster road in Spring township. They are highly esteemed in the community, and are in comfortable circumstances.


EBLING, OBADIAH

p. 835

Surnames: EBLING, ZERLEY, BOYER, FRANCIS, HOGY, SEIDLE, WANNER, MOYER, MOSER, BAER, WERNER

Obadiah Ebling, a substantial citizen of Bern township, was born Jan. 24, 1847, in Ontelaunee township, Berks Co., Pa., son of David and a grandson of Jacob Ebling.

Jacob Ebling and wife lived in Rockland township, but both died at Auburn, Schuylkill county. They had six children, namely: John, Jacob, Gideon, Kate, Sallie and David.

David Ebling, father of Obadiah, was born in 1801, in Rockland township, Berks county. He followed the blacksmith's trade for thirty-five years in Rockland and Ontelaunee townships. He bought his first farm of seventy acres and in a few years, in 1849, bought a farm of ninety-six acres in Spring and Heidelberg townships, and lived on the latter from 1850 until his death, Feb. 27, 1868. He was buried at Sinking Spring, where he was a worthy member of the Reformed Church, in which he served as deacon and elder. In politics he was a Democrat. On April 15, 1826, he married Maria Zerley, who died Aug. 29, 1891, aged eighty-five years, three months, twenty-two days. They had the following children: Cosmos, Addiah, Jeremiah, Josiah and Obadiah, Sallie A. (m. (first) Daniel Francis, and (second) Benjamin Hogy), Amanda (m. (first) John Seidle, and (second) Jacob Wanner) and Leana (m. Simon Moyer).

Obadiah Ebling attended school in Spring and Heidelberg townships, and in 1864 he was a student in the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. He remained with his father and after the latter's death, took charge of the homestead, operated it for six years, and then came to Bern township and bought his father-in-law's farm The latter contains 121 acres, and is located about one mile west of Leesport, and at one time was known as the old Samuel Moser farm. He owns also a farm of 127 acres adjoining, and has the management of a large amount of other property, being the guardian of minor heirs. He built his comfortable home in 1886. At present his whole time is occupied with looking after his many interests.

On Dec. 3, 1867, Mr. Ebling married Amelia Boyer, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Boyer) Boyer. Jacob Boyer was a very prominent man in Berks county, and was born Oct. 12, 1818, a son of Samuel Boyer (born in Amity township and buried at Hill Church), and died Oct. 10, 1885, and was interred at Epler's Church. To Jacob and Elizabeth Boyer were born: Amelia, Rebecca (m. Levi Baer, of Bern), William (m. Amelia Werner, deceased, and resides in Reading), and Samuel (died aged one year). Mr. and Mrs. Ebling had one daughter, Clara Cordelia, who died March 22, 1886, aged thirteen years and thirteen days.

In politics, Mr. Ebling is a Democrat, and for six years he has served as a member of the school board of Bern township, a part of the time being its president. He is an elder in Epler's Reformed Church and formerly was a deacon. He is a representative man in his community.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:53:07 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.