Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery


p. 1527


Benjamin D. Druckenmiller a well-known business man of Kutztown, Pa., who is engaged as an ice-cream manufacturer, confectioner and proprietor of a restaurant on Main street, was born Nov. 12, 1855, on his father's farm in Hereford township, Berks county, son of Enos and Elizabeth N. (Desch) Druckenmiller.

Enos Druckenmiller was born Dec. 14, 1821, and died of apoplexy at Zieglersville, Lehigh county, March 29, 1899. He was a mechanic and farmer all his life, and was an elder of Zieglersville Lutheran Church, where he is buried. He was on the building committee when the new church was erected, and took a profound interest in the work of the church and Sunday-school, teaching in the latter for many years. In life he was honored and respected and in death he was missed and mourned. Mr. Druckenmiller married Elizabeth N. Desch, daughter of George and Marguerite (Marsteller) Desch, and to this union there were born children as follows: Benneville died of measles and brain fever, aged twenty-two years; Rev. Joel settled in Michigan about 1880, and serves a charge at Rogers City; Tilghman m. Barbara Frey; Elizabeth m. Milton Kleinsmith; Henry m. Ellen Wagenhorst, and resides at Atlanta, Ga.; David m. Katie Nuss, and resides at Sellersville; Benjamin D.; Emma died of diphtheria in her ninth year; Mayme m. (first) William Weiss, and (second) Hiram Welker; Susanna m. Benjamin Frey; Rosa m. Allen W. Sheimer; Sallie m. John Sweitzer; George m. Ella Lersh; Maggie m. William Shubert; Laura m. Richard Reese; and Annie m. Allen Snyder.

Benjamin D. Druckenmiller was reared on his father's farm and attended the public schools of the locality. He lived with his parents until his twenty-third year, when he hired himself out to a farmer in Roxboro, Philadelphia county, for one year, and for two years worked on a farm in Maxatawny township. In 1881 he commenced working in the Kutztown creamery, and there he continued for twenty-four years. During the first five years he was an employe, but in 1887 he bought the place. He averaged 1,800,000 pounds of milk per annum, but in December, 1905, he rented the place, and engaged in the ice-cream and restaurant business. Mr. Druckenmiller and his family worship in St. John's Lutheran Church of Kutztown, and he is a member of the choir. He is independent in political matters, and does not hesitate to vote for the man he thinks is the best one for the place, irrespective of party lines. He owns a nice brick residence on Noble street, next to the creamery.

In June, 1885, Mr. Druckenmiller married Caroline Deisher, daughter of John D. and Hannah (Kohler) Deisher, and two children have been born to this union, Harvey Luther and Mabel Cora.

The original form of the name was Truckenmiller, but in some way the first letter became changed to D. The following immigrants of the name Truckenmiller are recorded in the Pennsylvania Archives as having come to Pennsylvania: Sebastian Truckenmiller and wife Catharine came on the ship "Pink" in 1732.

John Michael Truckenmiller came in the ship "Francis and Elizabeth" in 1742. Jon Ludwig Truckenmiller came on the ship "Robert and Alice" in 1742.

Peter Truckenmiller came on the ship "Beulah" in 1756.

The Federal census report of 1790 records George Truckenmiller a resident of Hereford township, Berks Co., Pa. In that year he had a son who was under sixteen years of age, and one daughter. The same report records Charles

Truckenmiller al also of Hereford township, and the head of a family consisting of nine members, four males and five females. The same report records John Truckenmiller as a resident of Rockland township, which adjoined Hereford, as the head of a family, made up of father and mother, one son and two sons under sixteen years of age and three females. George, Charles and John Truckenmiller are said to be the sons of Johan Michael Truckenmiller, who landed in Philadelphia on the ship "Francis and Elizabeth", Sept. 21, 1742.

Berks Court Records show that in 1801 letters of administration were granted from Frederick Truckenmiller to Louisa Truckenmiller, probably his wife.


p. 1675


The Drumheller family of Earl and surrounding townships in Berks county was founded here by J. Leonhart Drumheller, who emigrated to America on the brigantine "Mary and Sarah," which landed at Philadelphia Oct. 26, 2754.

Little is known of him, save certain records of several small land transactions. Among his children were two sons, John and Leonard, both of whom were residents of Earl township in 1782. In 2790 the Federal census records John as the father of one son above sixteen and three under that age, also one daughter. Nicholas is credited with a family consisting of one son above sixteen, and three sons below that age, and three daughters.

John Drumheller lived in Earl township and there died in 1815. His last will and testament was dated June 13, 1814. His wife Regina survived him. His daughter was married to Jacob Trout. His son Leonard obtained the homestead. The will does not mention the names of the other sons.

Nicholas Drumheller had a son Daniel, who lived in Pike township. His wife Elizabeth bore him children as follows: Elizabeth; Hannah; Daniel; John; Lydia; Jacob and Reuben, the two last named being executors of the will, which was made Feb. 6, 1835, and not probated until March 1, 1859.

Leonard Drumheller, grandfather of Ammon B. and Mahlon B., lived in Earl township. He is buried in an unmarked grave at Oley Churches. He was a farmer and owned a small farm, now the property of the Andrew Leffel estate. He married Susanna Breidigam. She is buried at Oley Churches and has a tombstone. He is buried by her side in the old graveyard. Their children were: David, who lived in Earl township; William; John, who lived near Philadelphia; George, who lived in Earl township; Sally m. John Richard; Susanna m. Peter Haas, of Earl township; Peggy m. John Dierolf; Magdalena m. John Youse; Anna m. Lewis Flicker; and Hettie died unmarried.

William Drumheller, son of Leonard, was born in Earl township, Aug. 14, 1813, and died there Aug. 27, 1872. He was a shoemaker, post-fence maker and farmer, and lived in Colebrookdale township two years. Before 1845 he came to Earl township and bought a fifty acre tract near Pine Grove school house now owned by his son Mahlon B., and improved it with the present set of buildings. Here he made his home for the remainder of his life. In politics he was a Democrat. He served as school director and supervisor. He was a Lutheran member of Oley Church, and was its treasurer for four years. He married Mary Bricker, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Matthias) Bricker. She was born July 18, 1817, and died April 21, 1887. They had seven children: John lived in Earl township; William lived in Amity township; Jacob B., in Earl township; Mahlon B. and Ammon B. in Earl township; Elizabeth and Horace. Of these Jacob, Mahlon and Ammon are living.

Mahlon B. Drumheller, of Earl township, was born April 20, 1848 on his fathers farm in that township, which he now owns. He learned the shoemaking trade from James Hartlein, and has followed it ever since, in connection with farming. His farm is kept in good condition, and he is well-to-do. He is a Democrat in politics, and was school director six years. Both he and his wife are Lutherans, and for two years he was deacon at Oley Church, and elder for four years. In December, 1871 he married Rebecca Sassaman, daughter of Daniel Sassaman, and sister of Jacob, former sheriff of Berks county. They had three children as follows: Alice, who died in the Boyertown fire Jan. 13, 1908, at the age of thirty-five years, was the wife of Harry Moyer, and the mother of three children,-Gladys, Grace and Leonard. Josephine m. William Conrad, and has two children,-Florence and William F. Clara S., who m. John Stapeltown, has one daughter, Agnes.

Ammon B. Drumheller, son of William, son of Leonard, is a farmer in Earl township on the Swamp road. He was born on the homestead in that township Dec. 18, 1851. He attended Pine Grove school in his township, and has a practical education. He worked for his parents until he was twenty-eight years of age. In the spring of 1879, he began farming in Earl township on his mother-in-law's farm, and this he cultivated for three years. He then farmed for his uncle, David Drumheller, one year, and in 1884 came to his present place at a tenant for George Kieffer, who then owned the farm, but which Mr. Drumheller bought from Mrs. George Kieffer in 1894. The farm consists of sixty-nine acres of fertile land, well located. On this farm is found an excellent lime stone. Mr. Drumheller operates a lime kiln, and burns and sells as many as 30,000 bushels of lime per annum. The Manatawny creek flows through the farm. The present barn was built in 1871; and the old part of the stone house was built before 1800, and the newer part in 1833. This farm was a Boyer homestead. One Jacob Boyer owned it; later it was owned by four of his unmarried sons, after whom it came into the hands of George Kieffer.

Mr. Drumheller is a Democrat, and is influential in the district. He was school director three years, and was re-elected but he refused to serve. He and his family are active members of Christ Lutheran Church of Oley, of which he has been an elder since 1907.

Mr. Drumheller was married Nov. 4, 1876, to Emma Elizabeth Trout, daughter of Samuel and Sophia (Boyer) Trout; farming people of Earl township. Her grandfather was John Boyer, whose wife was a Holder. Mr. And Mrs. Drumheller had three children, namely: Mary (born 1877, died 1899); Samuel T. (born July 13, 1883, m. 1904, Katie M. Kline, and has one daughter, Meriam V.); and Lizzie T. (born 1886, and died 1901). Samuel T. is a farmer, and assists his father. He is the treasurer of the township supervisors. He as president of the Christ Lutheran League at Oley; and was assistant superintendent of the Sunday-school, and is a member of the church choir.

Jacob B. Drumheller, son of William, son of Leonard, was a soldier in the Civil war. He married Elizabeth Hartranft, a relative of the former governor of the Commonwealth. Their son Howard H. married Kate Haas, and has ten children, five sons and five daughters, namely: Charles; Harvey; Lawrence; Jacob; Ammon; Lizzie May; Nora Ellen; Mary Minerva, and Carrie Dora (twins) and Annie Edwina.

George Drumheller, son of Leonard, and father of Jeremiah, was born in Earl township Nov. 15, 1817, and died in the same township on a farm near the homestead, now owned by Morris Weintrout, Nov. 21, 1878, aged sixty-one years. He was a shoemaker by trade, and also carried on farming. His tract consisted of seventy-three acres of land. He and his family were Lutheran members of the Oley churches, and he was deacon and elder there. In politics he was a Democrat; and was at various times school director, supervisor and auditor of Earl township, where he was highly respected.

George Drumheller was married (first) to Anna Matthias, daughter of Daniel Matthias, and they had two children namely: Amelia, m. Joseph Eberhart (both deceased; and Enoch (deceased) m. Sarah Batz.. His second wife was Caroline Miller, daughter of Conrad Miller. She was born March 18, 1827, and died Oct. 20, 1898. They had five children: Sarah m. William Gehret; Jeremiah; Darius lived at Pottstown, Pa.; Kate m. James Sell; Leonard died an infant.

Jeremiah Drumheller, son of George, was born Sept. 9, 1856, on his father's farm in Earl, now owned by Jacob Drumheller. He was reared on the farm, and attended the township schools. He was a puddler by trade, and in 1877 went to Pottstown where he worked in the puddling mill for the Pottstown Iron Company for seventeen years. In the spring of 1898 he came to Earl township where he bought his present farm, located in the western end of the Powder Valley. This tract consists of forty-six acres of land. It was formerly the Samuel Trout farm, and before him was owned by a man named Bly. One the farm are substantial buildings erected by the widow of Samuel Trout. The residence was remodeled in 1877, and the barn was built about 1887. The house was formerly a grist-mill. Pure spring water from an adjacent stream runs by pipe into the house. The farm is in good condition.

Mr. Drumheller is a Democrat, and was supervisor, the first in the township under the new road law. He is a highly respected man. He married in February, 1876, Annie E. Trout, daughter of Samuel and Sophia (Boyer) Trout, of Earl township, and granddaughter of Abraham Boyer. To, Mr. And Mrs. Drumheller have been born six children: Sallie m. Joseph Carr, and they live at Pottstown; George H. is general manager for McMinnimin & Sims Railroad Constructors located at Youngwood, Westmoreland county, Pa.; Lawrence is a student at school; William died aged eleven years; Paul died aged four years; and one son died in infancy. Mr. Drumheller has a home at Pottstown where his son-in-law Joseph Carr now lives.


p. 1085


Hiram D. Drumheller, who resides in his comfortable home at No. 424 South Fifth street, Reading, Pa., is one of the city's highly respected and useful citizens, and is at present employed as foreman of the wood-working departments of Reading Hardware Company. Mr. Drumheller was born March 31, 1849, in Earl township, Berks Co., Pa., son of Charles and Abigail (Dierolf) Drumheller.

John Drumheller, the great-grandfather of Hiram D., died on his plantation in Earl township Aug 17, 1815. He made his last will and testament June 13, 1814, and this document is on record in Will Book D, p. 132, and makes ample provision for his beloved wife Regina. Son Leonard and a Jacob Trout, probably a son-in-law, were executors of the estate. In the will is an item which states: the remaining of my estate shall be equitably divided among all my children. Unfortunately their names are not given.

Leonard and William Drumheller, the latter the grandfather of Hiram D., were brothers. Family tradition says there was another brother, as well as some sisters. In 1782, after the township was organized from a part of Oley township, John Drumheller was one of the taxables, as was one Nicholas Drumheller, who probably was a brother. The father of these men, probably was J. Leonard Drumheller, who crossed the ocean on the brigantine "Mary and Sarah" Capt. Thomas Brodrick, from Rotterdam, which qualified at Philadelphia, Oct. 20, 1754. Leonard Drumheller, son of John, made his will June 7, 1832, and he died in the early part of 1837, his will being probated on March 8th of that year. He was a farmer in Earl township. His wife, Susanna, bore him one daughter, Hattie, and a number of sons, one of whom was David, who was the executor of his father's estate.

William Drumheller, grandfather of Hiram D., was born May 18, 1792, in Earl township, and died there April 24, 1882, being buried at Oley Church. He was a farmer by occupation and owned the farm that descended to his son, Charles. He was a captain in a company in the War of 1812, was well-read and intelligent man, and was as well known for his fine physique and great strength as for his many sterling traits of character. He married Elizabeth Fisher, who was born in Oley township, May 9, 1793, and died Oct. 29, 1867, and to them was born an only son; Charles.

Charles Drumheller, father of Hiram D., was born in Earl township in 1814, and died in August, 1889, being buried at Oley Church, of which he was an official Lutheran member. He was a lifelong agriculturist, being engaged in cultivating the forty-five acre farm which he had received from his father. Charles Drumheller was married to Abigail Dierolf, a daughter of Daniel Dierolf of Rockland township, and she died in 1897, aged eighty-five years. They had the following seven children: Amelia m. Samuel Dierolf, Emeline is deceased; Peter lost his life at the battle of Gettysburg; Henry owns the homestead in Earl township; Deborah m. George Hartline; Ezra died young; and Hiram D.

Hiram D. Drumheller was reared in his native township where he attended the public schools, and when eight years of age left his home and for four years lived with the family of John Guldin. For the following nine years he resided at the home of Abraham Guldin, John's son, in Oley township, and on which he followed until 1876. At this time he engaged in farming for five years, for his former employer, Abraham Guldin, in Oley township, and in 1881, located in Reading, where he has since made his home. For five years he was employed by Davis, Printz &Co., as a carpenter and pattern maker, and in 1886 he commenced working for the Reading Hardware Company. Four years later he was promoted to the position of foreman of all the wood-working departments a responsible position which he now very efficiently fills. He resides in his own residence, No. 424 South Fifth street, which he has occupied since Oct. 3, 1904. Mr. Drumheller is a member of the Reading Hardware Association in which he has held office since 1890, having been treasurer of the association since 1901, and he is also connected with Court Progress of the Foresters of America. He belongs to Zion's United Brethren Church of Reading. Mrs. Drumheller being connected with Faith Reformed Church.

Mr. Drumheller was married (first) to Mary E. Schaeffer, who was born in Amity township, March 1, 1849, and died June 10, 1899. The following children were born to this union: Warren, deceased; Annie, m. to Martin Wagner, of Reading; Carrie, m. Henry Raudenbush, of Reading; Mary, who is deceased; and Walter, who lives in Reading. Mr. Drumheller m. (second) Mary J. Hatt, daughter of Daniel and Martha (Lambert) Hatt, of near Fritztown, and granddaughter of Daniel and Catherine Hatt.

Mr. Drumheller is one of the well known residents of his community in Reading, and is highly respected by all who know him. He is one of the most trusted employes of the Reading Hardware Company, and has the esteem of his employers and subordinates.


p. 1029


The American ancestor of the Drumheller family was J. Leonhart Drumheller, who crossed the ocean on the brigantine "Mary & Sarah," Captain Thomas Brodrick, from Amsterdam, which landed at Philadelphia, Oct. 26, 1754. Soon thereafter J. Leonhart Drumheller located in the lower section of Berks county, where he reared his family, died and is buried. In 1759 there is record that Dewald Drumheller lived in Rockland township, which was bounded by Earl township on the south. In that year he paid a federal tax of four pounds. Tradition says he, too, had issue, and that later generations claim kinship with him.

Nicholas Drumheller, grandfather of John H., lived and died in Earl township. In 1782 he was a tax payer, and by occupation he was a farmer. His wife was a member of the Shaner family, and their children were: John; a daughter m. to Philip Nagel; Sally, m. to John Bans; a daughter m. to Peter Spotts; a daughter m. to John Hauffman. They are all buried in the old graveyard at Huff's Church.

Nicholas Drumheller had a brother John Drumheller, who was also a resident of Earl township, and he, too, paid a tax in 1782. John Drumheller died in 1815. His will is on record in Will Book II, page 132. The will was made June 13, 1814, and was entered Aug. 17, 1815. His wife, Regina, bore him a number of children, but a son Leonard is the only one mentioned in the will.

Leonard Drumheller, son of John, died in 1837 in Earl township. His wife, Susanna, obtained a plantation of thirty acres in Earl township. His will is on record in Will Book VII, page 438. David and Hettie are the only children mentioned in the will, but reference is found elsewhere to other children, of whom one was named Daniel (his wife was Elizabeth), a resident of Pike township. Daniel's will, made in 1835, was probated in 1859, and it mentions these children: Elizabeth, Hannah, Daniel, John, Lydia, Jacob and Reuben.

Returning to the direct line, John Drumheller, son of Nicholas, was born in Earl township, in 1798, and died in Oley township in 1884, aged eighty-six years and thirteen days. He was a tailor by trade, and worked at it from the time he was eleven years of age, continuing at work until within two years of his death. This remarkable old gentleman was very active, and could easily walk to Reading, a distance of ten miles. In 1860 he removed to Oley township, where he owned a farm now occupied by his son John. He was a Reformed member of the Oley Church, where he is buried. He married Elizabeth Hill, daughter of Frederick Hill, and she is buried at the Oley Church. These children were born to them: Rebecca m. Isaac Reinhart, both deceased; Caroline m. Aug. Renninger, and is deceased; Miss Elizabeth resides at Boyertown; John H.; Nicholas died in childhood. Mrs. Drumheller was born Oct. 28, 1809, and died Jan 10, 1846, aged thirty-six years and three months.

John H. Drumheller was born April 9, 1842, in Earl township, on the old Drumheller homestead, and is a successful farmer of Oley township, residing between "Yellow House" and Griesemersville. When he was eighteen years of age he removed with his father to Oley, but did not commence working for himself until ten years later, and at that date he bought his father's farm of twenty-two acres, which he now operates, renting his other farm of seventy-seven acres. On the first mentioned farm, Mr. Drumheller has excellent buildings which were built by David Drumheller who was shot at Earlville by a man named Pott. On the seventy-seven acre farm are buildings over a hundred years old, but so substantially were they built that they are in good condition today. His land is productive and well kept.

In 1870 Mr. Drumheller married Sarah Price of Exeter, daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth (Himmelreich) Price. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Drumheller: John is unmarried and a railroad mail clerk; Elizabeth m. Curvous G. Yoder, of Pike township, a railroad mail clerk; Allen m. Mary Boyer, and lives at Reading; a daughter died in infancy.


p. 1395


Hiram F. Dry, the present proprietor of the Oley Roller Mills, of Oley township, was born in Rockland township, Berks county, on Jan. 14, 1860.

His grandfather, Gideon Dry, was born in the same township. He is buried in Mertz churchyard at Stony Point. His wife was a Miss Kutz. They had the following children: Benneville, who has a son, Glancey, living at Lenhartsville, Pa.; John, father of Hiram F.; Samuel, of New Jerusalem; Nicholas, also of New Jerusalem, Pa.; Hannah and Susann, who own the old homestead, and reside there, near Stony Point; Elizabeth who married Isaac Hottenstein (they had two sons, Charles A. and Frank, and a daughter, Mary).

John Dry, the father of Hiram F., was born also in Rockland township, Sept. 11, 1826, and died there Aug. 8, 1906. He is buried at Mertz's church, of which he was a Lutheran member. He was by trade a stone-mason, and in addition conducted a farm of some 26 acres in Rockland township. He married Hannah Funk, daughter of George and Catharine (Gerhard) Funk, and to them were born the following children: Charles, who lives at Mifflinsville, Columbia county, Pa.; Augustus, of New Jerusalem, Pa., Hiram F., the subject of this review; Henry, who died in youth; Alvin, now residing at Bechtelsville, Pa., and Sarah who died at the age of twelve years.

Hiram F. Dry passed the earlier years of his life on his father's farm, and gave him his services until his full majority, attending the public schools in his childhood; he received a scholastic training in a subscription school conducted at Lyons, Pa. Professor Samuel A. Baer, in 1879, signed his license to teach, and he conducted one of the Rockland township schools successfully for two terms. For reasons which then seemed to him sufficient and satisfactory, he changed the course of his life by apprenticing himself to the milling trade with Lewis Carl, of Bowers. This trade Mr. Dry has since followed, for a number of years as employee, and with success. In 1892 he accepted employment under Morris Carl, and for two years continuing as employee, he then bought out the business, and has since conducted the mill. He makes a specialty of the brands "Peerless" and "White Rose"having a waiting market in Reading and throughout Berks county.

Mr. Dry was married in 1880 to Hettie Boyer, a daughter of Daniel and Judith (Yause) Boyer, old and esteemed residents of Rockland township. Mr. And Mrs. Dry have five children; Sally; Laura; Horace who married Deborah De Turck, and resides with his parents; Elda, and Minnie.

A Democrat in politics, Mr. Dry never fails to cast his ballot, though he has no inclination to hold office. He is a force in the councils of the party at the different conventions, and has served one term as Judge of elections. He is known as a friend of education, having supervised the schools of Oley township for six years as a member of the board of directors. He and his family are worthy members of Mertz's church at Stony Point, and are held in merited esteem by a large circle.


p. 1716


The Dry family which was represented in Berks county, Pennsylvania, long before the American Revolution, is one of high repute, and the name is now worthily borne in Amity township, by the venerable Nathan Dry, who is passing the evening of his life in comfort at Amityville, tenderly cared for by his daughter, Ellen M., widow of Henry Wagner.

The first of the name in this locality was Jacob Dry, whose name on the tax list of Eat District in 1773, is spelled, "Drey", and on the Federal census report of 1790, of the same district, is "Day", doubtless a clerical error. The common spelling of the name at the present time is "Dry." In 1790 Jacob Dry was the head of a family of five persons, including himself and wife, a son above sixteen years, and two daughters under sixteen years. In 1773 George Drey was a taxable in Rockland township, as was his son Paul, then a single man. In 1781 George, Paul and Matthias Drey were assessed in Rockland township. Tradition, partly affirmed by records, says that George Drey was a son of the aforesaid Jacob, and that Paul, Matthew and John (grandfather of Nathan) were sons of George. The family were all Lutherans, and the older members of the family are buried at Mertz's Church in Rockland township. In politics they were Democrats. On the Rockland township tax list of 1829 appear the following: John Dry, farmer; John Dry, potter; Paul Dry; Gideon Dry; Daniel Dry; David Dry; and the Jacob Dry estate.

John Dry was born in the Rockland township district, and died there in 1855, aged about seventy-seven years. He was bedfast for three years with rheumatism. By trade he was a tinsmith, and followed that occupation with success in his younger years. He lived one mile southwest of Stony Point at Dryville, named for members of his family. He was a Lutheran, and is buried at Mertz's Church. He was twice married, first to a Luckenbill, by whom he had a son, David. He m. (second) Susan Mertz, but no children were born of this union.

David Dry, son of John, was born in Rockland township, in July, 1805, and died at Stony Point in November, 1872. He was a life long farmer, owning a fertile tract of 176 acres. About twelve years before his death, he retired and settled in Stony Point. He was a Democrat, and served as school director. With his family he attended Mertz's Church. He married Susan Yoder, daughter of Abraham Yoder and his wife, whose maiden name was Price. Mrs. Yoder died when Susan was but one day old. Mrs. Susan (Yoder) Dry died in August, 1888, aged nearly eighty-two years. She was the mother of ten children: Nathan; Elizabeth m. Peter Wanner; Rachel m. Samuel Herbein; Mary m. Capt. Jonas Schollenberger; Catharine m. David Levengood; John; Abraham lives in Reading; Caroline is unmarried; Esther m. John Herbein; and Amanda m. James M. High.

Nathan Dry, son of David, was born March 17, 1826, in Rockland township, and he attended the pay schools of that day, when the teachers received three cents per day for each child. He received the training at home that was common to the farmer lad of that period, and at the age of eighteen began to learn the milling business from John Y. Rhoads, of Amity township. He then for one year conducted a mill for John Knabb, above Oley Line, after which he operated the Six Penny Mill at Mount Airy, in Union township, four years. In 1862 he went to California, where he first farmed, and later was engaged in milling. He remained there for forty-one years, making his home at Lake City, Modoc County, and prospering exceedingly in all his undertakings. In December, 1902, he returned to his native county, and located at his present home in Amityville. Mr. Dry is remarkable well preserved, and enjoys his life of leisure to the utmost. In appearance he is short and rather heavy set. He is a Lutheran in religious belief, as was also his wife. In 1848 he married Elmina Pott, daughter of John and Ellenora (Eagle) Pott. She was born in Amity township on the old Eagle homestead, March 2, 1826, and died in Amity township, below Yellowhouse, May 9, 1855, and is buried at Amityville. They had three children: Ellen M. who married the late Henry Wagner, and had two children, Mary and John, the latter deceased; Andora, who married the late John Rhoads, had a son Lawrence, and lives at Pottstown; and John D. who died young. When Mr. Dry made his journey to the Pacific coast he traveled by foot and team across the Plains, and he can graphically describe the scenes and experiences of those early days. He speaks both German and English, and has a very retentive memory.


p. 1703


Tyrus B. Dubbs, city freight agent for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, with an office at No. 25 North Sixth street, was born April 5, 1855, in Bethel township, son of Isaac and Sabilla (Beshore) Dubbs.

Isaac Dubbs was a farmer in Bethel township, Berks county, until 1865, in which year he removed to Tremont, here he turned his attention to carpentering and joining. Here he remained for several years, when he removed to Pine Grove, and still later to Pottstown, where he now resides, living retired. Although an aged man, Mr. Dubbs is very well preserved and is in possession of all his faculties. His wife passed away April 17, 1906, aged seventy-four years. To Isaac Dubbs and wife were born three children, namely: Rebecca, Tyrus B., and one that died in infancy. The family are members of the Evangelical Church.

Tyrus B. Dubbs was educated in the common schools, and when a young man engaged as a clerk in the general store conducted by W. H. Wheeler, who later became a noted minister in the Mennonite Church. Mr. Dubbs removed to Pottstown with his parents, and followed clerking until 1878, when he accepted a position with the Philadelphia & Reading Company, as clerk in the freight office at that place. There he remained until April, 1889, then he was appointed traveling freight agent of the road, with headquarters in Reading under Robert B. Gordon. He continued in that capacity until he was made district freight agent with office at Harrisburg, being made city freight agent in February, 1898. Since that time he has made his home in Reading, where he has made many warm friends. Mr. Dubbs is a member of Reading Lodge, No. 115, B. P. O. E. Politically he is independent, and he and his family are connected with the Evangelical Church.

Mr. Dubbs married Susie L. Leysher, a native of Boyertown, Pa., and two children were born to this union: Rebecca and Jennie S.


p. 1570


One of the pioneer families of Berks county is that bearing the name Dumn. About 1754 there landed at Baltimore, one:

(I) Casper Dum, born about 1720 in the Rhine Valley, Germany. He sailed from Bremen, Germany, for America, and after he was here drifted to Hagerstown, Md. and from there into Richmond township, Berks Co., Pa., where he made his permanent home. He died in Richmond township, and was survived by three sons. Thomas, Valentine and Jacob.

(II) Thomas Dum, born 1752, eldest son of Casper, was but two years of age when the family landed in the New World. He accompanied his father to Berks county, and died in Richmond township, Oct. 23, 1830 (and is buried in the Catholic Cemetery there), survived by three children: Elizabeth, who married her cousin, Michael Dum; Thomas, Jr., born in Richmond township in 1800, who became a shoemaker and died in 1854; and Jacob, Jr. Three children died in infancy. Jacob Dum, a son of Thomas, Jr. left the east about eighty five years ago, and settled in Ohio. He had thirteen children. The surviving grandchildren and great-grandchildren are at present living at Amanda, Lancaster and Circleville, Ohio.

(III) Jacob Dum, son of Thomas, married and became the father of thirteen children, namely: Annie; Sallie, Polly; Joseph (who had children--Emma, Betsy, William, Robert, Simon, Benjamin, and Joseph); Benjamin; Daniel; Jacob; Israel; Samuel (who had children--Israel, Thomas, Effie, Samuel, William and Homer); Hetty; Katie; Abbie and Betsy.

(II) Valentine Dum, son of Casper, was the baby when the family came to America. For many years he lived in Richmond and Albany townships, Berks county, where he farmed, but finally located near Pittsburg, Pa., where he died and left a family.

(III) Michael Dum (or Dumn), son of Jacob, and grandson of the emigrant Casper, was born in Richmond township about 1793. By occupation he was a farmer and teamster, and lived with his large family near Moselem Springs. He married his cousin Elizabeth Dum, mentioned above as daughter of Thomas Dum. Michael Dum died in 1840, the father of Elizabeth, Aaron, Samuel, Mary, Benneville, Willoughby, Annie and Levi.

(IV) Samuel Dum, third child and second son of Michael and Elizabeth Dum, was born in Richmond township in 1825. he was a practical miner, and for many years was engaged in the iron ore mines and in getting out sand, but in his later life he conducted hotels at Moselem Springs, Pricetown and Fleetwood. He served as justice of the peace of Ruscombmanor township and the borough of Fleetwood, and was a stanch worker in the Democratic party. His last years were spent in retirement in Fleetwood, where he died Feb. 17, 1901, in his seventy-seventh year. In 1848 he married Mary Ann Madeira, daughter of John Madeira, and their children were: James F., who died two years before his father, was one of the most prominent men in Berks county, having served many years as justice of the peace, and from 1888 to 1891 as recorder of deeds; Wilson M.; and Amos M.

(V) Wilson M. Dumn, son of Samuel and Mary Ann (Madeira), was born in Ruscombmanor township, March 8, 1861. His school days were few in number, and he began early to gain practical experience in the business world. His first venture, was at Yellowhouse, where for six years he successfully conducted a general store. On April 1, 1889, he moved his family to Reading, and shortly afterward engaged in the shoe business, which he has since continued with success, his integrity and good judgment having won him recognition. From 1906 to 1909 he served as Register of Wills for Berks county. He resides with his family at No. 923 Washington street.

(VI) Clarence C. Dumn, son of Wilson M., was born in Richmond township, June 17, 1879, and came to Reading with his parents in 1889. he graduated from the Reading high school in 1898. For a number of years, he was employed in the office of John Hendel's Sons' hat manufactory. In politics he is a firm believer in Democratic principles. He was nominated for alderman from the Eighth ward, after a hard five cornered fight, and was elected by a majority of votes. He resides at No. 923 Washington street, Reading.

(VI) J. Frank Dumn, second son of Wilson M. was born in Fleetwood, Pa., Aug. 13, 1881, and after coming to reading with his parents in 1889 entered the public schools, and was graduated from the high school June 29, 1899. For some time he was employed in the Reading freight office of the Pennsylvania Railroad, but later entered his father's shoe store at No. 814 Penn street, and is still to be found there. He is identified with several secret societies.

(V) Amos M. Dumn, son of Samuel and Mary Ann (Madeira), was born in Fleetwood, Feb. 8, 1865, and there passed his boyhood days. For a number of years he taught school He served as deputy recorder for a number of years and also as recorded for a short time by appointment. He was appointed to the auditor's office in the Treasury Department, Washington, D. C., a position he is now filling. He is married, and makes his home at No. 1236 Girard street, Washington, D. C.

(IV) Willoughby Dumn, fourth son of Michael and Elizabeth (Dum) Dum, was born in Richmond township in 1828. he lived nearly his entire lifetime in his native township. During his younger days he worked on farms and later assisted his brother Samuel in mining. During the Civil war he enlisted in Company I, 151st Pa., V. I., under Col. George McFarlan, and took part with his regiment in the bloody conflict at Chancellorsville, May 2-3, 1863. They were then attached to Gen. Reynolds' command, and ordered to follow Lee, whom they overtook at Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, and immediately forced a battle. The regiment was almost wiped out of existence. They went into battle, twenty-one officers and four hundred and sixty-six men strong, and of these, two officers and sixty-six men were killed, twelve wounded, and one hundred were missing -- an aggregate loss of three hundred and sixty-seven. "At Gettysburg," says General Doubleday, "they won, under the brave McFarlan, an imperishable fame." Mr. Dumn was honorably discharged July 27, 1863.

(IV) Benneville Dumn, twin brother of Willoughby, went to California in 1850 in the time of the great gold excitement, and was never again heard from.

(IV) Levi Dumn, youngest son and child of Michael and Elizabeth (Dum), was born in Richmond township, Aug. 31, 1832, and was only a lad of eight years when he was left an orphan. During his younger days he worked at farm labor, but later became manager of Maidencreek Furnace. he was also engaged in a mercantile business at Lenhartsville, and was also with his brothers Samuel and Willoughby in the mining business. He died Aug. 30, 1876. His children were: Sallie, deceased; Clara E., deceased; Frank E., deceased; Charles O.; Harry J.; and several that died in infancy.

(V) Harry J. Dumn, son of Levi, was born at Lenhartsville March 10, 1865. he received his primary education in the public schools of Greenwich township, and the Fleetwood high school. After taking a course at the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, he taught for a time. Mr. Dumn comes of a family long interested and influential in the Democratic party, and long before he attained his majority he had rendered service to the party, having taken the stump in the fall of 1884 -- the first Cleveland campaign. He has served many years on the county standing committee, and is at present a member of the Democratic State Central Committee. On April 1, 1889, he entered the Recorder's office at Reading, and served as deputy recorder until Jan. 1, 1894, when he was appointed deputy clerk of Quarter, sessions under Clerk H. H. Holl, but Mr. Holl dying that same year, Mr. Dumn succeeded to the clerkship, first by appointment and afterward by election, serving with ability until Jan. 1, 1899. During this time he registered as a law student, and studied law under the direction of George W. Wagner, Esq., until Jan. 2, 1899, when he was admitted to practice in several courts of Berks county, subsequently being admitted to practice before the Supreme and Superior courts of the State. Immediately upon his admission to the Bar he formed a partnership with Harry D. Schaeffer, Esq. present district attorney of Berks County, and they opened an office at No. 40 North Sixth street, where they have since practised under the firm name of Dumn & Schaeffer. Mr. Dumn is assistant district attorney under Mr. Schaeffer. He has been active in public affairs wherever the movement tended toward the benefit and progress of the community. He was solicitor for Mohnton borough and obtained the charter of incorporation. He has been active in the Board of Trade, and was the originator of the movement for Greater Reading. He was one of the incorporators and is a director and legal adviser of the Mohnton National Bank.

Fraternally Mr. Dumn is a prominent Mason, and has enjoyed a number of offices. he is a member of the Pennsylvania German Society and of the Berks County Historical Society.

Mr. Dumn married Miss Annie M. daughter of Thomas Moyer, and they have three children: Alma S., a graduate of the high school, class of 1909, and at present a student at Lasell Seminary, in Massachusetts; Miriam M. and Leslie Thomas. The family residence is at No. 136 North Eleventh street, Reading.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:53:05 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404


Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.