Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

DILLON, GEORGE C.

p. 1099

Surnames: DILLON, MOHR, KNOWLES, LESHER, CLOUSER, ECKENRODE

George C. Dillon, an energetic and enterprising business man of Reading, Pa., and one who has made his own way in the world, is conducting a first-class grocery in that city. He was born Oct. 3, 1867, in Reading, son of George W. Dillon, a shoemaker by occupation, who is the summer months followed boating along the Schuylkill river. George W. Dillon married Mary A. Mohr, born in Schuylkill county, and they became the parents of these children: Moses, employed by the Reading Iron Company, at Reading; William H., employed by the Reading Hardware Company; Mrs. E. R. Knowles, of Port Carbon, Pa.; and George C.

George C. Dillon received his literary training in the public schools of his native city, and his first employment was with the Penn Hardware Company. Leaving this firm, he engaged with the Reading Iron Company, and remained eleven years in their employ, after which he drove the country team of the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, for three years. Being then employed by George E. Lesher, in the grocery business, he continued with that gentleman for one year, the next year being spent with J. E. Clouser. Mr. Dillon was employed by the National Biscuit Company, as salesman, for eleven months, at the end of which time he engaged with Kurtz & Mayers, selling coffee, spices, etc., and at this latter he continued for three years or until engaging in business on his own account, Oct. 23, 1902, being located at No. 725 Washington street. Here Mr. Dillon has built up a very lucrative business. His straightforward manner of doing business, his genial courtesy and cordiality, and his native honesty and integrity have won him not only a large and steady patronage, but a host of warm friends as well, and he is very popular in his community.

On Dec. 24, 1890, Mr. Dillon married Mary E. Eckenrode, daughter of James Eckenrode, and to this union has been born one daughter, Ruth Viola. In political affiliations Mr. Dillon is connected with the Republican party, and he was elected a member of the school board in February, 1909. He is a member of the First Baptist Church. Very popular in fraternal circles, Mr. Dillon is a Mason, joining Lodge No. 62, in January 1898, and is also connected with the Red Men No. 186, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Liberty Fire Company.


DININO, PIETRO

p. 1199

Surnames: DININO, BARSOTTI

One of the largest fruit commission houses in Reading, is that owned by Pietro and Elmer Dinino, who carry on both an importing and retail business. They are of Italian stock, born in the province of Lucca, where their parents, Frank and Maria (Barsotti) Dinino, spent their entire lives. The father was a farmer and fruit grower on an extensive scale, pursuing that occupation till his death in 1879, at the age of seventy-one. Of the ten children in his family, five only are living; two daughters reside in Italy, while three sons, Pietro, Charles and Elmer, are in business in Reading. The three were educated in Italy, but sought to establish themselves elsewhere early in life.

Pietro Dinino was but twelve years old when he left home. He spent three years in Germany before returning to Italy at all, and then made only a brief stay. He went back to Germany, but later removed to London and from there came to America, landing at Philadelphia. He had learned to do ornamental statuary work, and for the first three years in this country he had employment in that line, traveling through New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio. In 1886 he came to Reading, continued his statuary work for three months, and then for the first time took up the fruit business. Shortly after he decided to locate in Williamsport instead, but after a brief trial returned to Reading and has been successfully engaged here ever since.

Mr. Dinino's place of business is No. 701 Penn street, and he deals on an extensive scale in all kinds of imported and domestic fruits, canned goods, candies, cigars, tobacco, etc. He is ably assisted by his brother Elmer, who attends to the retail side of the business and they are among the largest dealers in their class of goods in the city. Both are young men of great ability and enterprise, and have reaped substantial financial returns.


DINKEL, GEORGE

p. 1169

Surnames: DINKEL, SCHMECK, GIMBLE, KEFFER, HAAG, HECKMAN, LUTZ, LEVAN, SWOYER, LEINBACH, BOYER, DILLIPLANE, BRUMBACH

George Dinkel, an enterprising young businessman of Mount Penn, PA., who is the proprietor of a blacksmithing establishment, was born Dec. 24, 1877, In Muhlenberg township, Berks county, son of Charles and Susan (Schmeck) Dinkel.

Frederick Dinkel was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany, and was a carpenter and musician. He served two enlistments in the Civil war, being first a musician in a Kentucky regiment, and second a private in the 188th PA V. I. He was discharged on his first enlistment on account of deafness. He was killed in June 1875, when about sixty-five years old, on the Pennsylvania Railroad at Anderson passenger station, near Lewistown, Mifflin Co., PA., and was buried in the Mifflin County Almshouse Burial Ground. He married Martha Elizabeth Gimble, at Staten Island, N. Y., and they were blessed with twin daughters and one son; Mary A., born March 12, 1853, married Henry S. Keffer; Elizabeth, twin to Mary, married William B. Haag; and Charles. Mrs. Martha E. (Gimble) Dinkel is buried at Kissinger's Church.

Charles Dinkel, son of Frederick, died Dec. 8, 1897, at the age of forty-one years. He was a farmer all of his life, operating extensively in Temple and Exeter townships. He was one of the active members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Dinkel married Susan Schmeck, and to them were born eight children as follows: George; Harry, of St. Lawrence, an employee of John F. Lutz; Minnie married George Levan; Ammon, of St. Lawrence, a cutter in the Brumbach pants factory at Reading; John, of St. Lawrence, an undertaker in the employ of John F. Lutz; Herbert, who is employed in the woolen Mills of St. Lawrence; Daniel, at home; and Walter.

George Dinkel was educated in the public schools of Muhlenberg township, which he attended until fifteen years of age, at which time he started to work out on farms in the neighborhood of his home. When nineteen years old he learned the trade of blacksmith with Frank Swoyer of Black Bear, Exeter township, and soon thereafter started in business for himself at that place. He continued there for almost six years, and then came to his present place of business, buying out Percival Leinbach in the fall of 1904, and here he has since successfully continued, doing a general line of blacksmithing. Mr. Dinkel is a skilled mechanic, and is known throughout Mt. Penn as a competent workman, every job turned out of his shop being satisfactory to the patron. In 1908 he built on Perkiomen avenue in Mt. Penn borough, one of the most up-to-date blacksmith shops in Berks county. It is of brick, and is 60 x 30 feet in dimensions. He employs one man besides working himself and is always busy. In addition to his shop, Mr. Dinkel owns a good residence and one acre of land. In political matters he is a Republican, and although he has never sought, nor cared for, public office, he takes an interest in the success of his party's candidates. He and his wife attend the Lutheran Church at Schwartzwald.

On May 24, 1902, Mr. Dinkel married Annie Boyer, daughter of Daniel and Rebecca (Dilliplane) Boyer, who reside in Reading. Mr. Boyer being an employe of Mertz's storage house. Mr. and Mrs. Boyer have five children; Llewellyn, a saloon keeper of Philadelphia; Charles, also of Philadelphia; Herbert, an ironworker of Reading; Earle, an employe of a Reading stocking mill; and Annie. Mr. and Mrs. Dinkel have had two children; Charles Sterling and Martha.


DIPPERY, NATHANIEL S.

p. 1130

Surnames: DIPPERY, STEINMENT, SEITZINGER, GROSS, SEIDEL, BOYER, HEMMIG, ZIEBACH, WEBER, PALM, HOLL

Nathaniel S. Dippery, who for nearly twenty years held the position of janitor of the Girls' high school, Reading, died at his late residence, No. 232 Washington street, May 6, 1906. Mr. Dippery was born in Spring township, Berks county, in 1842, son of Frederick and Catharine (Steinment) Dippery.

Jacob Dippery, grandfather of Nathaniel S., was a resident of Berks county, and was a farmer by occupation. He died on the old Seitzinger farm in Berks county, at the age of seventy-six years, while his wife, whose maiden name was Catharine Gross, survived him, living until eighty-two years old. Mr. and Mrs. Dippery were Lutherans. Their children were: Jeremiah, Edward, Aaron, Frederick, Catharine (m. John Seidel) and Mary (m. John Boyer). Jacob Dippery was a Democrat until President Buchanan's administration, after which he was a Republican.

Frederick Dippery succeeded to the old Seitzinger farm, later occupied by the State Constabulary, and was well known in his day as a skilled veterinary surgeon. He died December, 1867, and his widow died at the home of her daughter Katharine Hemmig, August 5, 1907, aged ninety-three years. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Dippery were: Nathaniel S.; Harrison; Gideon; Frank; James; Katharine (Hemmig) and Elmira.

Nathaniel S. Dippery received his education in the schools of his native township, after leaving which he assisted his father at farming. In September, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company H, 104th Pa., V. I., serving honorably therewith until Oct. 4, 1863, when he received his discharge. Returning again to his native place, Mr. Dippery was employed for a few years at milling in Spring township, and then came to Reading in 1877. Here he was appointed janitor of the Girls' high school in December 1887, and he took up the duties of the position in January, 1888, serving continuously therein until his death. He was a member of the First United Evangelical Church of Reading.

Mr. Dippery was married to Miss Salesa M. Ziebach, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah (Weber) Ziebach, and to this union were born children as follows: Mary died at the age of three years, two months, ten days; George Adam, born Sept. 16, 1871, m. Annie M. Palm, and they have two children, Nathan Henry and Emma Salesa; Annie L. m. Mark Davis Noll, and has two children, Ruth Lugorah and Naomi Margaret. Mrs. Dippery resides at the old home on Washington street. She is well know in her community, and is greatly esteemed for her many lovable traits of character.


DORWARD, OBADIAH B.

p. 457

Surnames: DORWARD, ARNOLD, HAFFNER, BACHMAN, MILLER, BRITTON, KLINE, GOODMAN, BATZEL

Obadiah B. Dorward, controller of the city of Reading, was born at Hamburg, Nov. 26, 1855, and is a member of a family for several generations conspicuous for good and useful citizenship.

Daniel Dorward, grandfather of Obadiah B., was born in Greenwich township, Jan 1, 1779. He lived below Krumsville on a small farm, which he cultivated. His earlier life was spent as a shoemaker. He died at his home March 25, 1858, and is buried at Grimville church. His wife, Maria Christina Arnold, born Sept. 26, 1780, died March 13, 1858. Their children were: Ephraim, Joseph, Anna, Eliza, Charles and Daniel. In 1801 when the father, Daniel Dorward, became the owner of the farm on which he died, he purchased it from one Conrad Heffner.

Ephraim Dorward, father of Obadiah B., was born in Greenwich township in 1817, and was a stone mason and plasterer, also working at the brick layer's trade, and as a butcher and tanner, and it is said he was skilled in every trade he worked at. He died of smallpox June 29, 1872, and was buried at Tamaqua. His wife, Martha Bachman, was born in Lynn township, Lehigh county, in 1827, and she died in Hamburg in 1869. Their children were: Manasses, who died of lock-jaw in young manhood; Frank, of Norristown, who served as a soldier in the Rebellion in which he participated in thirty-two engagements, and was wounded nine times; Mahala, who married George Miller; Henry, a soldier in the Rebellion, who was killed in front of Petersburg when but sixteen years of age; Cyrus, of Pottsville; Albert, who died at Roanoke, Va., in 1893, and is buried in the Charles Evans cemetery, Reading; Obadiah B.; John A., of Reading, manager of Lee's London show, and one of the best animal trainers in the country; and Elizabeth.

Obadiah B. Dorward passed his boyhood days in Hamburg, and there in the public schools obtained his early education. He was but fourteen when he left Hamburg and came to Reading to live with his sister, Mrs. George Miller. In 1870 he returned to Hamburg, and began to learn the brick laying trade under his father. In the spring of 1871 the family moved to Mahanoy City, where the father engaged as a contractor, our subject working as an apprentice. On June 14, 1872, they moved to Tamaqua, and on the morning of the 16th, the father was taken with smallpox, in a house not yet fixed up, the son cared for him for thirteen days, the father dying June 29, 1872. Young Obadiah B. with three men buried him in the cemetery in Tamaqua. The young man had great trouble getting back in the "American House", where his father was taken ill, but this was finally accomplished, and he remained there until August, when he came to Reading, and finished learning his trade. In 1880 he went to Hamburg, where he had charge of the building of the furnaces at the Hamburg Rolling Mills, and he continued there in charge of the mills for four years.

Mr. Dorward is an active Republican, and has taken an interest in politics ever since he attained his majority. His first presidential vote was cast for Rutherford B. Hayes. In 1907, he became the candidate for city controller, and in February 1908, was elected by a flattering majority over his competitor. He took the oath of office on April 13th, and then announced the appointment of his deputy, William W. Britton, of the Thirteenth ward (whose house numbers also count thirteen). Mr. Dorward is a controller who believes in the application of honest business methods to the conduct of his office and he was the confidence of the citizens.

Fraternally, Mr. Dorward is a member of the Bricklayer's Union, which he joined in 1883, and of which he was president until 1907, when having been elected to this present office, he resigned. He was a member of the Arbitration committee for years, and vice-president of the State Conference from 1904 to 1906, rendering this body most valuable services. In 1885 he became a member of Fidelia Chamber, No. 5, O. K. of F., and in 1887 he joined the Consultory of the Order, and has ever since taken an active part in it. He is a past grand officer of both bodies, and when he passed through the Grand Chamber he received an honor higher than that previously bestowed on any officer in that body, being presented with a jewel that is the only one of the kind in existence. Mr. Dorward and his family are members of St. Stephen's Reformed Church, Reading.

In 1880, Mr. Dorward married Alice Kline, eldest daughter of Alexander and Mary Ann (Goodman) Kline, of Hamburg. They have no children of their own, but adopted a younger sister of Mrs. Dorward, Mame Kline, who is now Mrs. William G. Batzel, of Reading, and the mother of one son, Carrol.


DOTTERER, MATHIAS H.

p. 1195 Surnames:
DOTTERER, DOTTERO, TODDEROW, IMBODY, MUTHART, HERB, GERHARD, ANTHONY, SCHOENLY, HEYDT, WELLER, GESCHWINDT, SEIDEL, YERGER, HENRY, ANGSTADT

Mathias H. Dotterer, who is engaged in the grocery and general merchandise business at No. 1755 Centre Avenue, Reading, Pa., was born in District township, Berks county, Dec. 26, 1861, and is descended from (I) Mathias Dotterer, the emigrant ancestor of the family, through (II) Mathias (2), (III) Daniel, (IV) Mathias and (V) David.

(I) Mathias Dotterer, whose name of the passenger list is given as Mattheus Dotter, came to America on the ship "Jacob," Captain Adolph De Grove, from Amsterdam, last from Shields, England, qualifying at Philadelphia, Oct. 2, 1749. On the same ship were Nicklaus and Martin Dotter, who may have been brothers, or sons over sixteen years of age. His son, Mathias (1744-1827) was about five years old at the time, and because of his tender years his name would not appear on the passenger list.

(II) Mathias Dotterer, son of Mathias, born Jan 22, 1744, became a pioneer of Lower Berks county. His name is variously spelled Dotterer, Dottero, and Toderrow. On the red sandstone that marks his grave just south of the Hill Church, is the following inscription " Mathias Dotterer, son of Mathias and Catharine, Born Jan 22, 1744, Died June 30, 1827, aged 83 years, 5 months and 8 days." His wife is buried at his side, her grave being marked by the following inscription "Anna Maria, daughter of Adam and Catharine Imbody, and wife Mathias Dotterer. She was born May 17, 1743, married 1765, and lived in holy wedlock over sixty years. She had 2 sons, 26 grandchildren, 40 great-grandchildren at the time of her death, which occurred Feb. 24, 1825, aged 81 years 9 months and 17 days." They had two sons: Daniel was executor of his father's will (on record in German in Will Book 6, p. 99); and Mathias.

(III) Daniel Dotterer, son of Mathias, was born July 4, 1766, and he died Sept 13, 1844, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. He lived in Earl township, where he owned a farm, and he also owned a tract in Rockland township, bequeathing the latter to his son Henry in his will made Oct. 29, 1834. This will, probated Oct. 14, 1844, is on record in Will Book 9, p. 18: Executors, his son Mathias and Daniel. In the Will Index his name is spelled Daniel Dottero. He married Barbara Muthart (born June 28, 1763, died Dec. 3, 1843) and their children were: Mathias, John, Daniel (1792-1840), Jacob, George, Henry (who was given the tract of land in Rockland township), Susanna, Catharine and Margaret (whose will, made Dec. 5, 1865 was recorded Dec. 10, 1866).

(IV) Mathias Dotterer, son of Daniel, was born in 1787. He engaged in farming in Washington township, where he owned a 114-acre tract, now in the property of M. G. Gerhard. His death occurred in 1871, and he was buried at Hill Church. He was twice married. His first wife, Catharine Muthart, born Dec. 21, 1799, died Aug. 23, 1834. Mr. Dotterer married (second) Catharine Herb. He was the father of fourteen children: Isaac, David, Jonathan, Aaron, George, Joseph, Israel (had three children), John, Mathias, Abraham, Henry (1825-1856), William, (1825-1903), Anna (m. Edward Anthony, of Dale, Pa.) and Catharine (m. William Schoenly, of Boyertown).

(V) David Dotterer, son of Mathias, was born in Washington township in 1823. He was early trained to farming and followed that calling as long as he was engaged in active labor. He received his education in the pay schools taught by German teachers, and he can give interesting accounts of his early experiences. He taught school at Weikel's Hill, the school being held in a spring house. He owned two farms in Washington township, one of sixty-five acres and one of forty. He is now making his home with his son James near Heydt's schoolhouse. He married Magdalena Heydt, daughter of John and Magdalena (Weller) Heydt. She died in 1896. Their children were: James, who lives in Washington township; Mathias H.; John, on a farm near Sassamansville; and Manasses, who died in 1905 at the age of thirty-five.

(VI) Mathias H. Dotterer, son of David, was reared upon the home farm, and educated in the public schools and the Keystone State Normal School. At the age of eighteen years, he began clerking in the store at Hill Church, for John Dotterer, and later he clerked for J. P. Geschwindt, in Longswamp township, and after that he was employed in a similar capacity by William F. Seidel, at Bowers Station. In 1885 he entered the mercantile business for himself, at Bechtelsville, where he conducted a general store for twenty years. He was very successful, and the people of the town showed him high esteem. He was one of the organizers of the borough of Bechtelsville, and was its first justice of the peace. He also served as school director for three terms. He was elected treasurer of the borough many terms, and upon his removal from the borough resigned. In April, 1906, he sold out his stock, good will and fixtures to William R. Yerger, of Friedensburg, (who later sold to William A. Henry), and that spring moved to Reading, where enjoyed a rest until the following October, when he opened a grocery store at No. 400 South Fifteenth street, his present location. He carries a fine line of groceries and fresh vegetables, and his stand is justly popular.

In politics, Mr. Dotterer is a Democrat. On Nov. 29, 1884, he married Torinda Gerhard, daughter of Daniel and Eliza (Angstadt) Gerhard, of Longswamp township, and they have four children: Winfield S., a bookkeeper at Reading; Raymond A., clerking for his father; and Lloyd J. and Viola M.


DOTTERRER FAMILY

p. 609

Surnames: DOTTERRER, DODERER, DODDERE, DOTTER, DOTTERO, TODERROW, IMHOLTZ, MUTHART, SASSAMAN, FRY, WELLER, MEST, BUCHERT, HILBERT, PETER, RITTER, BROWER, HAUSMAN, WEIDA, GRAEFF, SMITH, RHOADS, WAGNER, RELLER, HANKEY, BAER, SCHOEDLER, DRUMHELLER, RHODE, HESS, MOYER

In 1728 among the names of passengers on the ship "Mortonhouse," was the name of Johan Georg Doderer, also spelled, on the Captain's list, Hans Dirk Doddere. In 1756, according to the historian, Rupp, he had settled in the District township, Berks county; and in 1759 his name appears on the tax list in that township. Tradition says that he was an elder brother of Mathias Dotterrer, who came over in 1749.

(I) Mathias Dotterrer, whose name on the passenger list is given as Mattheus Dotter, came to America on the ship "Jacob," Captain Adolph De Grove, from Amsterdam, last from Shields, England, qualifying at Philadelphia, Oct. 2, 1749. On the same ship were Nichlaus and Martin Dotter, who may have been sons over sixteen years of age. His son Mathias (1744-1827), was about five years old at the time, and because of his age would not appear on the passenger list.

(II) Mathias Dotterrer, son of Mathias, born Jan. 22, 1744, became a pioneer of lower Berks county. His name is variously spelled--Dotterrer, Dottero and Toderrow. On the red sandstone that marks his grave just south of the Hill Church, is the following inscription: "Mathias Dotterrer, son of Mathias and Catharine, Born Jan. 22, 1744, Died June 30, 1827, aged 83 years, 5 months, 8 days." His wife is buried at his side her grave being marked by the following inscription: "Anna Maria, daughter Adam and Catharine Imholtz, and wife Mathias Dotterrer. She was born May 17, 1743, married 1765, and lived in holy wedlock over 60 years. She had two sons, twenty-six grandchildren, forty great-grandchildren at her death, which occurred Feb. 24, 1825, aged eighty-one years, nine months, seventeen days." They had two sons: Daniel was executor of his father's will (on record in German in Will Book 6, p. 99); and Mathias.

(III) Daniel Dotterrer, son of Mathias, was born July 4, 1766, and he died Sept. 13, 1844, in the seventy-ninth year of his age. He lived in Earl township, where he owned a farm, and he also owned a tract in Rockland township, bequeathing the latter to his son Henry in his will made Oct. 29, 1834. This will is on record in Will Book 9, page 18; executors, his sons Mathias and Daniel. In the Will Index his name is spelled Daniel Dottero. He married Barbara Muthart (born June 28, 1763, died Dec. 3, 1843, aged eighty years, 5 months, five days), and their children were: Mathias, John, Daniel (1792-1840), Jacob, George, Henry, Susanna and Catharine.

(IV) Jacob Dotterrer, son of Daniel, was born April 4, 1794, and he died in Earl township, Aug. 23, 1885, aged ninety-one years, four months, nineteen days. He and his family are buried in the cemetery at the Hill Church, of which they were Reformed members. In his earlier life he owned and cultivated a small farm in Pike township. By trade he was a carpenter. His wife, Sarah, daughter of Christian Sassaman, was born Dec. 21, 1797, and she died June 8, 1880, aged eighty-two years, five months, seventeen days. Four children were born to them: Maria, m. to Isaac Fry; John S.; Abraham, who lived and died in Pike township; Sarah, m. to Aaron Weller.

(V) John S. Dotterrer, son of Jacob, was born during his father's residence in Pike township, Dec. 7, 1822. His death occurred Dec. 12, 1881, when he was aged fifty-nine years, five days, and his remains were buried at Hill Church. In his earlier life he was a school teacher, teaching a pay school at Shanesville, but later he became a farmer, owning the farm of 167 acres in Pike township that is now the property of his son Jacob and the heirs of his son John. In politics he was a Democrat, and was always active in work for his party. For a number of years he served as school director in Pike township. He married Hettie (Esther) Weller, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Mest) Weller, born July 29, 1828, died July 23, 1882, aged fifty-three years, eleven months, twenty-nine days, her death occurring but eight months after that of her husband. Their children were: Catharine, who died unmarried: Jacob, of Pikeville; John W.; Daniel W.; Sarah, m. to Irwin Buchert, of Gilbertsville; Elizabeth, m. to William Hilbert, of Pikeville; Hettie, m. to Daniel Peter, of Viola, Del.; Amanda, m. to John Ritter, of Boyertown; and Augustus, of Pottstown.

(VI) John W. Dotterrer, son of John S., was a native of Pike township, born Aug. 16, 1852. He was first a farmer and then a merchant, later conducting the store and hotel (which he owned) at Hill Church, where he was also postmaster for more than a quarter of a century. He was one of the active Democrats in his district, serving as committeeman for many years, and at the time of his death was serving as road commissioner. He died May 14, 1907, and was buried at Hill Church, of which he was a Reformed member. From the date of its incorporation in 1873 until his death, a period of thirty-four years, he was treasurer of the Cemetery company. He was a man of influence in the community. His wife, Elenora Brower, was a daughter of John G. and Elmina (Hausman) Brower, of Colebrookdale township, the former at one time a well known school master. They had these children: Laura, who died in infancy; Dr. Charles B.; and Hettie, whose husband, Harvey H. Weller, succeeded Mr. Dotterrer in business at Hill Church.

(VII) Dr. Charles B. Dotterrer, of Boyertown, was born Jan. 12, 1880, near Hill Church, son of John W. and Elenora, and was given good educational advantages. He attended the public schools in Pike township, and later the Pottstown schools, and then engaged in teaching in his native township for one term. In the spring of 1897 he attended Perkiomen Seminary, and continued there as a student until his graduation in 1898. He then entered the Medico-Chirurgical College, Philadelphia, from which institution he graduated in 1902. While there he was awarded a gold medal for his high average in a competitive examination. He then served one year in the Medico-Chirurgical Hospital, after which he took charge of the practice of Dr. G. A. Weida, at Frederick, Montgomery Co., Pa., during the latter's service in the lower house of the State Legislature. He then began practising for himself at Zieglerville, and continued there until January, 1907, when he located in Boyertown, quickly assuming a prominent place in the professional world. He has a most enviable record, and stands high in the estimation of his fellow practitioners. Fraternally Dr. Dotterrer is a member of Warren Lodge, No. 310. F. & A. M.; Norristown Chapter, No. 190, R. A. M.; Reading Lodge of Perfection. He is a past master of Perkiomenville Lodge, No. 367, I. O. O. F., and since his location in Boyertown has become affiliated with Boyertown Lodge No. 708, I. O. O. F., which lodge rendered such invaluable services to the community at the time of the Opera House Fire in January, 1908. Dr. Dotterrer is very prosperous, and his automobile may be seen at all hours. He handles this machine with great skill. On Jan. 1, 1909, in partnership with Claude C. Graeff, P. D., he bought the large wholesale and retail drug store of Charles A. Smith, and when not engaged at his private practice spends his time in the drug store.

The Doctor is very public-spirited, and has taken an active part in public affairs. He is a member of the board of health, and since the resignation of Dr. Rhoads he has acted as its president. He was one of the incorporators of the Boyertown Electric Light Company, serving as vice president until he was elected by an overwhelming majority as a councilman. He is a member of the Berks County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.

On Dec. 17, 1904, Dr. Dotterrer married Mary Elizabeth Wagner, daughter of Michael and Amelia (Reller) Wagner, of Obelisk, Pa. They have no children.

(VI) Daniel W. Dotterrer, son of John S., was born in Pike township, Nov. 27, 1854. He received his early education in the township schools, and later attended Professor Hankey's select school at Boyertown. He also attended Friedensburg Academy one term, then under the charge of Prof. S. A. Baer, and later Dr. Daniel Schoedler. In 1880 he began farming for himself on the place where he now lives near Hill Church. He has a farm of eighty-eight acres, all in good condition. In politics he was a Democrat, and he wields considerable influence in the township, as he is a man of high repute and good judgment.

In 1879 Mr. Dotterrer married Ellen Drumheller, daughter of David and Lydia (Rhode) Drumheller, and they had children: Wilson m. Hannah Mest; Ida m. John Hess; Daniel died in infancy; David m. Annie Moyer; John (twin to David) is a cigarmaker; Mamie, Augustus and Elizabeth are at home.


DOWLING, FRANK M.

p. 993

Surnames: DOWLING, COLEMAN, LINDAMUTH, BOYER

Frank M. Dowling, a representative citizen of Reading, PA., is a native of that city, born Nov. 3, 1856, son of James and Catharine (Coleman) Dowling.

James Dowling, who was a well-known citizen and highly esteemed resident of Reading, was a machinist, a trade which he followed all of his life, dying at the age of fifth-eight years. He and his wife, who died at the age of eighty-three years, had these children: George W., James, Henry, Charles, Mary E., and Frank M. Mr. Dowling as a Democrat in politics, but never aspired to public office.

Frank M. Dowling received his education in the schools of Reading, after leaving which he apprenticed himself to the moulders' trade with the Reading Hardware Company, with whom he remained for three years. He then found employment with Orr & Painter, with whom the following five years were spent, but in 1887 he resigned from his position to engage in the hotel business, opening a hostelry on Cotton, between Tenth and Eleventh streets. After continuing there successfully for six years, Mr. Dowling sold out to engage in the coal business where the Cotton and Maple street school is now situated, the board of education purchasing the ground from Mr. Dowling. In 1895 Mr. Dowling opened a hotel at Twelfth and Cotton streets, but retired from the business in 1908.

In 1881 Mr. Dowling married Miss Sarah Lindamuth, daughter of Bennewell and Sarah (Boyer) Lindamuth, and to them have been born three children: Charles, Emma and Bessie. Mrs. Dowling is a member of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. Her husband is fraternally connected with Emblematic Lodge, I. O. O. F., and the P. O. S. of A., the Heptasophs, and for the past eighteen years the Washington Fire Company. He has various business interests in the city and was one of the party of twelve who organized and drew patterns for the Wrightsville Hardware Company, he being foreman of the plant.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:53:03 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.