Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

DeLONG, DAVID

p. 609

Surnames: DeLONG, SNYDER, MOSER, SAVAGE, REINART, ZERR, ALTHOUSE, WAGNER
David DeLong, now deceased, was a well known farmer of Bern township. He was born in Berks county, Pa., son of David De Long, Sr., who was for many years engaged in farming in Lehigh county-a very prominent man there.

Mr. De Long was always identified with Berks county. He began his farming operations there on a tract of forty acres, which he purchased and to which he later added considerably. He was successful in his work, being both capable and industrious, and his long life of seventy-seven years was full of useful and kindly deeds.

Mr. De Long married Miss Mary Snyder, and they passed many years of wedded life, broken by the death of Mrs. De Long at the age of sixty years. A large family was born to them, all of them living in or near Reading, as follows: Mary, Mrs. Daniel Moser, of Bern township; Hattie, Mrs. Samuel Savage, of Reading; Catharine, Mrs. Reinart, of Reading, who has two children, George and Katie (m. Howard Zerr, who has two children, Luther and Helen Zerr); Joel, m. to Miss Matilda Althouse, and residing on the homestead in Bern township; Lydia, m. to Frank Snyder, of Reading; and Sarah, m. to Levi Wagner. David De Long was a man who held the respect of the community in which he lived, and was of no little influence in the Democratic party. He was a member of the Reformed Church.


De LONG FAMILY

p. 405

Surnames: De LONG, GERY, LONG, ROHRBACH, KERSHER, FENSTERMACHER, SCHRADIN, HAAS, KNOSKE, SAUL, ZIMMERMAN, BARTO, KELLER, MENSCH, KNAUSS, FISHER, CHRIST, SCHOFER

The first settler of the De Long family in America was Peter De Long, a French Huguenot, who came to this country in 1732. His son, Henry, the great-grandfather of Tilghman De Long, was born, perhaps, in France.

David De Long, son of Henry, was born in America, Jan. 4, 1770, and died Nov. 12, 1828. He married Barbara Gery, and they had the following children: Daniel m. Catherine Long, of Butler county, Ohio; Benjamin m. Catherine Rohrbach; David; Catherine m. Martin Kersher; Esther m. John Fenstermacher; Susannah m. Jacob Schradin; Mary m. George Rohrbach; and Elizabeth m. Jacob Haas.

David De Long, father of Tilghman De Long, was born July 6, 1813, and died Sept. 6, 1893, at the age of eighty years and two months. He married Catherine Haas, who died Nov. 28, 1877, aged sixty-four years, five months, eleven days. They had children as follows: David died aged twenty-six years; Henry, born Dec. 18, 1838, m. Adeline Fenstermacher, and is deceased; Milton H., who died Feb. 20, 1892, was twice married, and his second wife, Louisa E. (Knoske), lives at Bowers, Pa.; Tilghman; Alvin H., residing on the old homestead, m. Catherine Saul; and Sally Ann died when two years old. David De Long, the father, carried on farming in Longswamp township, Berks county, through all his active years.

Tilghman De Long, son of David, was born Aug. 2, 1849, in Rockland township, Berks Co., Pa., and was educated in the country schools as they were in his boyhood. He grew up on the farm, and also worked in the ore mines. When nineteen years of age he apprenticed himself to David Zimmerman, at Monterey, with whom he learned cabinetmaking and undertaking. After serving three years with this man he was considered a good workman and went to Schrader, Felix & Kline, a well-known firm at that time, now doing business at Reading as Schrader & Kline, and remained there until 1872, when he came to Topton and embarked in business for himself. Mr. De Long at first worked alone, doing all his manufacturing by hand, but as his business increased he took an apprentice, this being Charles Fenstermacher, who has continued with him ever since. His skill as a workman and his promptness in filling his contracts soon brought more and more business to Mr. De Long and he added more assistants, two of whom, Jonathan Barto and Lewis Keller, still are of his right-hand men. He began equipping his plant with some machinery that he put up himself first operating it by hand and later by horse-power, and recently he has built a new factory of large dimensions which he has equipped with the latest improved machinery. The year round he gives employment to from fifty to seventy-five men. He is now one of the leading manufacturers of Eastern Pennsylvania. His specialty is in the line of bank, hotel, store and church fixtures.

In 1905, Mr. De Long organized the T. De Long Furniture Company, of which he is president and principal stockholder, his sons, Ellwood and Victor, being partners. At the same time De Long, Son & Co. was organized, which includes the retail furniture and undertaking business at Topton and Fleetwood, the latter of which is managed by the other son, Irwin D. De Long. Mr. De Long officiated as undertaker at over 2,200 funerals before he delegated the Fleetwood branch of the business to Irwin D., in 1898. He is still active, though he employs Mr. Schofer to attend to the Topton branch of the undertaking business.

On April 4, 1874, Mr. De Long was married to Angeline Fenstermacher, daughter of Reuben and Polly (Mensch) Fenstermacher. Her father, now deceased, was long a prominent farmer of this section. To Mr. and Mrs. De Long were born eight children, as follows: Minnie Renneta, born Aug. 3, 1875, died Nov. 7, 1876; Irwin David, born Aug. 7, 1877; Ellwood F., born June 23, 1879; Charles Franklin, born May 29, 1881, died Aug. 22, 1883; Ada Alavesta, born Dec. 26, 1882, married Milton O. Knauss, and had one child, deceased; Victor Wilson, born July 9, 1884, m. Laura Fisher, and has one daughter, Lulu Rachel; Eva Helen, born Oct. 23, 1888, resides at home; and Lulu May, born Nov. 16, 1893, died Dec. 2, 1899.

Mr. De Long is a stanch Democrat and on many occasions has been chosen by his fellow citizens to assume the duties and responsibilities attaching to important offices. He has filled all the minor borough offices, for three years was a director of the poor for Berks county, and at present is serving his second term as a member of the Topton town council. His good judgment, his business foresight and his sterling personal character, make him an ideal citizen. He applies the same principles in looking after the interests of public business as he has always done to his private affairs, by which he has built up from a very small beginning a trade that extends all over the world, shipments of his goods having been made to Porto Rico and even to far-off China. Mr. De Long and wife belong to the German Reformed Church, and in this faith they have reared their family. He is a member of Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A.; of Longswamp Lodge, I. O. O. F.; of the K. of P., at Lyons; and of Adonai Castle, K. G. E., at Kutztown. He is a man who in every relation of life can claim the respect of his fellow citizens, and he enjoys also in large measure their esteem.

Ellwood F. De Long, vice-president of the T. De Long Furniture Company, was born and reared at Topton, where he first attended school. Later he became a student at the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, and afterward graduated at the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry. For a long time he filled the position of designer for the large furniture factory and now is sales manager for the firm. He married Minnie Christ and they have one son, Karl Christ. He belongs to Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., Kutztown; and to Camp 172, P. O. S. of A.

Victor Wilson De Long, secretary and associate partner of the firm of T. De Long Furniture Company, was born and reared at Topton. From the borough schools he entered the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, and afterward attended Schissler's Business College at Norristown. He married Laura Fisher. He is a member of Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A., and Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., Kutztown. He belongs to the Reformed Church.


DE LONG, HOWARD H. (PROF.)

p. 1166

Surnames: DE LONG, MERTZ, HOCH, GOSS, GUSS, DIENER, ZIEGLER, MEISTER

Prof. Howard H. De Long, who for some time has been known to the citizens of Berks county as an educator, and has made his home at the residence of his uncle, Joel Mertz, near Virginsville, Richmond township, was born in Rockland township, Berks county, Jan. 1, 1880, son of Adam B. and Caroline (Hoch) De Long.

The parents of Professor De Long removed in 1881 from Rockland to Lyons, Pa., where Mrs. De Long died of typhoid fever. She was the mother of: Irwin Hoch; Sallie, a graduate of the Hamburg high school, has been a teacher at the M. E. Orphan's Home for the past five years; Emma m. Eric F. Goss, a successful young farmer of Sindle, Mifflin county; John, a merchant at Lewistown, Mifflin county, m. a Miss Guss; and Howard H. Mrs. Caroline (Hoch) De Long, mother of the Professor, was a daughter of Jeremiah and Rebecca (Diener) Hoch, of Rockland township. She had one brother, Elias Hoch, who lost his life in the Civil war, and one sister, Lovina, who is the wife of Joel Mertz, the adopted parents of Howard H. De Long.

Prof. Howard H. De Long was but one and one-half years old when his mother died, and he was then taken into the family of his uncle, with whom he has resided ever since. His boyhood days were spent upon the farm, and his early education was obtained in the local schools of his adopted district, attending until seventeen years of age, when he entered the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, Pa. He graduated in 1901, and since that time has been engaged in teaching school seven months of the year, the other five months being spent on his uncle's farm. Professor DeLong began his career as an educator in his native township, Rockland, and the following year was elected to teach Schaffer's school in Richmond township, continuing one year when the school board, recognizing his ability, promoted him to the village school at Virginville, where he continued very successfully until 1906. At this time he again entered the normal school to prepare for college, and entered Franklin and Marshall College in the fall of 1907, becoming a member of the class of 1910. Mr. De Long is still a young man, but he has demonstrated by his work in the schoolroom that he is a competent, painstaking teacher, and possessed of excellent qualities of mind and heart. He is loved by all his pupils and esteemed by all who know him.

Irwin Hoch De Long, brother of Prof. Howard H., was adopted by Isaac Ziegler, of Bowers, Pa., and was educated in the public schools of Maxatawny, Berks county, the State Normal School at Kutztown, Pa., after which he took his preparatory work at Muhlenberg Preparatory School, Allentown, and graduated at Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa., with the class of 1898. He entered the Theological Seminary at Lancaster, Pa., in the fall of 1898, and graduated in the spring of 1901. In the summer of 1900 he entered the University of Chicago as a graduate student, and in the fall of 1902 he left Chicago for the American School of Oriental Study and Research in Palestine, Jerusalem, where he remained during 1902-03. In 1903 he entered the University of Berlin; and in 1904 the University of Strassburg, receiving his Ph. D. at Strassburg in 1905. He was elected instructor in Old Testament Science at Lancaster Seminary, and in the fall of 1908 he was elected Professor of Hebrew and Old Testament Theology in the same institution. He married Mary Meister, daughter of Rev. E. Meister, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.


De LONG, IRWIN DAVID

p. 406

Surnames: De LONG, SCHOFER, DREY, FISHER

Irwin David De Long, manager of the Fleetwood branch of De Long, Son & Co., dealers in furniture and house furnishings of all descriptions at Topton and Fleetwood, was born at Topton, Aug. 7, 1877. His education was acquired in the borough schools, and the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. In the spring of 1895 he entered Schissler's College of Business at Norristown, Pa., completing the course there in October following. In the spring of 1897 he entered the Massachusetts College of Embalming, and graduated therefrom June 25, 1897, later taking a post-graduate course, which he completed Nov. 18, 1898. He also took a post-graduate course in the Philadelphia Training School for Embalmers, completing it May 2, 1902. He then became his father's assistant at Topton, the latter being one of the best known undertakers in the county, and the son had literally grown up in the business.

On Feb. 15, 1906, the firm of De Long, Son & Co., was formed by the following: Tilghman De Long, Irwin D. De Long, and Jacob J. Schofer. They carry a very large stock of furniture and, in fact, of all house furnishings, and operate stores at Topton and Fleetwood. The senior member of the firm, Mr. Tilghman De Long, is one of the most highly respected men in the county, and has the largest trade of any undertaker in Berks county outside of Reading.

Socially Mr. Irwin D. De Long is a member of Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A., of Topton; Orion Castle, No. 501, K. G. E., Topton; Willow Valley Lodge, K. P., Fleetwood; Kutztown Aerie, No. 836, F. O. E.; Fleetwood Castle No. 153, A. O. K. M. C.; Yuma Tribe, I. O. R. M.; Arabian Degree Kean; Buzzards Association, and Haymakers. He is a member of the Fleetwood Reformed Church while his wife belongs to the Lutheran Church.

On June 14, 1900, Mr. De Long was married to Katharine H. Drey, daughter of George L. and Katharine (Fisher) Drey, of Bowers. They have one daughter, Janice Ethel. Mrs. De Long greatly assists her husband in the undertaking business.


De LONG, JOSEPH S.

p. 770

Surnames: De LONG, BUTZ, SCHAEFFER, MERKEL, YODER, HIGH, PETER, BAUSCHER, STOUDT, HERTZOG

Joseph S. De Long, in his life time a highly esteemed and successful farmer near Topton, in Maxatawny township, Berks county, was born there Feb. 11, 1837, and died Feb. 25, 1896, aged fifty-nine years, fourteen days.

Joseph De Long, his grandfather, was a farmer. According to the tombstone in De Long's Bowers churchyard, his wife Susanna De Long, nee Butz, was "born March 20, 1782, died Jan. 24, 1874, aged ninety-one years, ten months, four days."

Jacob De Long, son of Joseph, was born on his father's farm near Bowers, March 27, 1803, and died Oct. 23, 1851, his remains being interred at De Long's Church. He was a life-long farmer, and his home is now the property of the De Long estate. In his time the East Penn railroad had not been built, and in order to build his horse power shed, he was obliged to haul his lumber from Allentown. While on one of these trips, on going down Griesemer's Hill, he accidentally fell from the wagon, which passed over him, killing him instantly. His death caused great sorrow in the community, where he was universally esteemed. On May 1, 1836, he married Sallie Schaeffer, who was born Oct. 4, 1803, daughter of Jonas Schaeffer, of Fleetwood. She died June 22, 1906, aged ninety-two years. eight months, and eighteen days. Their children were; Joseph S.; Philip, living retired at Hamburg, who has children: Annie, Dr. Percy and Elsie; Alfred, a farmer at Monterey, who had ten children, six now deceased, the survivors being: Sallie, James, Luther, and Ruth; and Elizabeth, who married Daniel Merkel, of Fleetwood, and has children: Ella, Lewis, Sallie and Daniel.

Joseph S. De Long passed his entire life as a farmer. In 1868 he came into possession of his father's farm, a fine tract consisting of 125 acres of land. He was also the owner of a valuable farm of 160 acres located near Zion's Church, in Maxatawny township, property that is now tenanted. In all his undertakings Mr. De Long prospered, and his investments were marked by sound judgment. In politics he was a Republican, and in religion a member of the Reformed Church, and he is buried at De Long's Church.

On Dec. 25, 1869, Mr. De Long married Mary H. Yoder, a daughter of Martin and Catharine (High) Yoder, and granddaughter of Martin and Susanna (Peter) Yoder, of Oley township. Seven children blessed this union: (1) Katie, born in 1871, died in 1878. (2) Sallie born in 1872, died in 1877. (3) Harvey J., born in 1874, died in 1878. (4) Rev. Calvin Martin, born July 7, 1876, was educated in the public schools, the Keystone State Normal school (from which he graduated in 1894), Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster (from which he graduated with first honors in 1900) Chicago University, and the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church of America, Lancaster (graduating in 1903). He was stationed at the New Goshenhoppen Reformed Church at East Greenville, Pa., where he is still the honored pastor. He is a brilliant and interesting speaker, and an earnest worker. On May 5, 1906, he m. Bessie Mae Bauscher, and has one child, Emma Mary. (5) Lizzie m. Rev. John Stoudt. (6) Frederick H., born Sept. 23, 1879, attended the local schools, the Keystone State Normal School, and is now the farmer on the home farm. (7) S. Molly m. Marion Hertzog, a clerk at the Kutztown foundry, Kutztown, and they have a daughter, Erma De Long.


DeLONG, MILTON H.

p. 404

Surnames: De LONG, HAAS, FENSTERMACHER, ZONDT, STEININGER, KAISER, KNOSKE, BOWER, KUNKEL, TRAUTSCHEN, PLATE, KOCH, NEUFANGER, HOTTENSTINE, TRAGO, MILLER, TROUTMAN, HAAK, SELL, WANNER

Milton H. De Long, a member of the furniture and undertaking firm of T. & M. H. De Long, at Topton, died at his home in that town Feb. 20, 1892, at the age of forty-seven years, one of the most highly esteemed and substantial citizens of his community. He was born in Rockland township, Sept. 6, 1845, son of David D. and Catherine (Haas) De Long.

David De Long, though born in Upper Macungie township, Lehigh county, passed the greater part of his life in Longswamp township, Berks county, where he followed the trade of weaver, buying and selling carpets, and he also engaged in farming. He was frugal and industrious, and became a man of considerable property. By his wife, Catherine Haas, who was born in Longswamp township, he became the father of the following family: (1) David died at the age of twenty-eight years, (2) Henry, born Dec. 18, 1838, clerked in a store at Hancock; he m. Adeline Fenstermacher. (3) Milton H. is mentioned below. (4) Tilghman, former partner of Milton H., is in the furniture business at Topton; he m. Angeline Fenstermacher. (5) Alvin H., hotel proprietor in Longswamp township, m. Catherine Zondt. (6) Sally Ann died aged two years. The father died Sept. 6, 1893, and the mother Nov. 28, 1877.

Milton H. De Long was given an excellent education, completing his literary training in Collegeville Seminary. His first venture into the mercantile world was when he and Jacob Steininger had a store in partnership at Bowers Station. He next was for a number of years employed as a clerk in the marble yard of Schweyer & Leiss, at Bower's Station. From there he went to Bridgeport, where he was similarly employed for a year and a half. Returning to Topton he and his brother Tilghman opened the furniture and undertaking business in which they were successfully engaged when Milton H. died. He had a high reputation for honesty and integrity, and in his private life as well as in the business world so ordered his actions that at his death it could be truthfully said that "No better man lived in Topton."

Mr. De Long was twice married. On Sept. 25, 1869, he wedded Catherine Kaiser, of Longswamp township. The only child of this union died in infancy and Mrs. De Long passed away Dec. 6, 1871. On March 31, 1878, Mr. De Long married Louisa E. Knoske, who was born in Reading, March 2, 1858, daughter of Capt. Edward and Catherine (Bower) Knoske. To this union was born a daughter, Katie Elda, April 26, 1882, who graduated from the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, in 1900, and taught school one term at Morgantown and two terms at Leesport, and who married, Sept. 15, 1903, Dr. Oscar F. Kunkel, of Albany, and has two children, Alton De Long and Lester De Long. At the time of his death Milton H. De Long was serving as director of the poor, having been elected to that office only a few months prior to his decease. He was also serving the borough of Topton as president of the school board.

The Knoske family, to which Mrs. Milton H. De Long belongs, had its early home in Germany. Johann Heinrich Knoske was born at Herrenstadt, near Breslau, Prussia. He married Rosina Trautschen, and both died in their native land strong in the faith of Luther.

Rev. Johann Knoske, son of Johann Heinrich and Rosina, was born at Herrenstadt, June 24, 1779. He came to America when a boy, and settled in Schuylkill county, Pa. He was twice married. His first wife was Anna Plate, daughter of Heinrich Plate, and their marriage took place in 1803, and her death a year and eight months later. He married (second) July 1, 1806, Elizabeth Koch, daughter of William and Margaret (Neufanger) Koch, of Schuylkill county, and their married life covered a period of more then half a century. He died Sept. 24, 1859, and his wife, Elizabeth, born Sept. 1, 1782, died Feb. 16, 1868. They had a family of four sons and five daughters, namely: Wilhelmina m. David Hottenstine; Louisa m. John Trago; Elizabeth m. Benjamin Miller; Maria m. Skiles Trago; William; Capt. Edward; Charles; and two died young. Mr. Knoske made his home in Kutztown from 1811 to 1856, in the latter year locating in Reading where he was living at the time of his death. He was an eloquent minister of the Gospel, and did much for the spread of Christianity in his section.

Capt. Edward Knoske, son of Rev. Johann, was a well-known citizen of Berks county and an honored veteran of the Civil war. He was born in Kutztown, and there learned the tanner's trade. For some time he clerked in a store in Reading, and then located at Bower's Station in Maxatawny township. While there he brought the first car load of hard coal ever shipped to that town. He was prominent at the time of the Civil war, being a lieutenant in the Ringgold Light Artillery (to which he belonged for nine years), his commission being dated Feb. 22, 1861. On May 9, 1861, he enlisted for two years in Company D, 4th N. Y. V. I., and was discharged May 5, 1863. He re-enlisted in December, 1863, at New York, as a private to serve three years in Company G, 5th N. Y. V. Artillery, and was transferred to Company A, Jan. 6, 1864. He was promoted to corporal Jan. 27, 1864, sergeant major July 10, 1864, and discharged Feb. 18, 1865, to accept the second lieutenancy. He was made captain May 25, 1865, at Harper's Ferry, Va. At the battle of Antietam a bullet passed through his hat, and grazed his skull, necessitating his removal to a hospital. The hat is still in the possession of the family at Bowers. He married Catherine Bower, daughter of Jonas Bower, and she still resides at the homestead at Bowers Station. He died Sept. 11, 1896. Their children were: J. Charles, of Baltimore, is an engineer on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad; J. William A. resides at Topton; Harrison, m. to Clara Troutman, is engage in the music business at Delaware, Ohio; Louisa E. is the widow of Milton H. De Long.

Jonas Bower, grandfather of Mrs. De Long, was born in Maxatawny township, at the station that now bears his name, Jan. 29, 1797, and he became a prominent farmer. He gave the land in his district for the Railroad Company to build their station. He also built the well-known "Washington House" at that place. He married Elizabeth Sell, who was born May 20, 1801, daughter of George and Barbara (Haak) Sell. She died April 10, 1879, and he passed away Sept. 6, 1882. They had three children: Catherine, m. to the late Capt. Edward Knoske; Elizabeth, m. to M. J. D. Wanner; Aaron, born April 25, 1828, and died Feb. 21, 1905.


DENGLER FAMILY

p. 397

Surnames: DENGLER, GULDIN, NIPE, LEITHAUSER, REILY, DRIES, MAJOR, HUNSICKER, GOOD, SCHLOTMAN, SHADE, WISNER, SNAVELY, BIEBER, RITTER, YODER

In the year 1737 Jacob Dengler emigrated to America, coming from Germany, probably from Wittenberg. His brother Andreas, who soon followed, died in America unmarried. Jacob Dengler settled near Amityville, and there built a forge and manufactured various iron implements. His remains are buried at the Swamp church.

Henry Dengler, the progenitor of the Denglers in Oley township, was a grandson of Jacob, and was born Oct. 3, 1792, in Amity township. He married Sarah Guldin, a lineal descendant of the Rev. Samuel Guldin, who emigrated to this country in 1710, and was the first Reformed minister in Pennsylvania. Henry Dengler moved from Amity to Friedensburg, now Oley, in 1829, and embarked in a mercantile business, in which he continued until near the close of his life. He was very active in public affairs, and took a deep interest in church matters, being one of the chief promoters of the building of the First Reformed church in 1830, donating the land and contributing liberally otherwise. For many years he served as an officer of the Reformed Church. His death occurred March 19, 1860, when he was sixty-seven years, five months and sixteen days old. His wife Sarah died Oct. 30, 1883, aged seventy-six years, seven months and twenty-five days. Their children were: Henry; John G.; James G.; Harriet m. John C. Nipe, and lives in Philadelphia; George lives in Clarion county; Washington, who enlisted at the age of eighteen, served for two years in the Civil war, was captured July 24, 1863, and was kept a prisoner in Richmond until March 23, 1864, when he was taken to Andersonville, Ga., and there he died of starvation May 6, 1864; Jacob died in February, 1905, aged seventy-one years, leaving a family as follows, Mrs. Charles Leithauser, Elmer, Howard, Mrs. Reily, William, and Mrs. Worths A. Dries, all living.

The Rev. James G. Dengler has been in the ministry of the Reformed Church since June 1874. He is a graduate of Franklin & Marshall College at Lancaster, and of the Theological Seminary located there. For nearly a quarter of a century he served one charge in Sellersville, Bucks Co., Pa. Dr. Dengler has been a frequent contributor to various publications, both religious and secular, and is a scholarly man of marked attainments and as a religious leader he has few equals in devoted piety and earnestness of both life and teachings.

John G. Dengler, the revered veteran school teacher of Berks county, is a resident of Friedensburg, Oley, township, where he was born Oct. 29, 1837. His education was obtained in the Oley Academy under Prof. Jacob H. Major, and the Freeland Seminary under Prof. Hunsicker. He was licensed to teach in public schools under the first county superintendent of Berks county, Rev. William A. Good, in 1857, and taught the first term in Oley township, at School-house No. 1. Prof. Dengler has since been teaching every consecutive school term (except during his army service), and also has conducted select schools each spring term. He has instructed thousands of boys and girls of Berks county, forming their characters through his excellent example, as he shaped their minds with his wise precepts, and he is held in highest respect by the entire county. He is now teaching the grandchildren of his first pupils. Prof. Dengler possesses a kind and benevolent disposition which is shown in his intelligent face, and he is loved for his many excellent traits and his lofty ideals of life. During the many years that he has labored in Berks county he has witnessed many changes, especially in the public school system. His first salary was twenty-four dollars a month, of twenty-two days. Not only has he instructed the children placed under him the text of their books, but he has given them the benefit of his wide experience, his varied reading and exhaustive studies, and has never failed to hold up the highest possible standards before their young eyes.

On April 18, 1861, Mr. Dengler was filled with patriotism and enlisted in Company C, 7th Pa. V. I., at Harrisburg, and was in active service at Martinsburg, Va. His first enlistment was for but three months, but on Oct. 30, 1861, he re-enlisted at Reading. Capt. James McKnight commanding, for three years, in Battery M, U. S. A., and saw some very hard service, passing through the entire Peninsular campaign, and participating in the battles of the Wilderness. When he was mustered out Oct. 30, 1864, at Staten Island, N. Y., he was in the Sixth Army Corps.

Having thus devoted over three years of his life to his country, Prof. Dengler came back to Reading, where he arrived after midnight on Oct. 31, 1864, but so anxious was he to see his dear ones that he walked to Friedensburg, a distance of ten miles. The following day he engaged to teach school he had left three and one-half years before at the call of duty, and he accepted the position at the earnest solicitation of his friends, who were anxious to secure his distinguished services. Prof. Dengler had also been active in church work ever since young manhood, and is a member of Friedens Reformed Church, of which he has been deacon, elder and trustee. He is a trustee of the Friedens cemetery company; a trustee of the Oley Academy that was founded in 1857, and has held this office since 1875. Since his youth Prof. Dengler has been a teacher in the Sunday-school, and is very efficient. He is a member of Minnehaha Lodge No. 154, K. of P., at Oley, also O. U. A. M. Council, No. 23, of the same place. In addition to all his other duties Prof. Dengler is the correspondent of all the Reading daily papers at Friedensburg.

Prof. Dengler has been twice married. His first wife, to whom he was married in January, 1860, was Catherine Schlotman, daughter of John and Lydia (Shade) Schlotman. She was born in Oley in 1839, and died May 5, 1875, aged thirty-five years, the mother of children as follows: Annie m. Harvey Wisner, deceased, has four children, and lives at Philadelphia; Millie m. Benjamin Snavely, deceased, and lives at Friedensburg; Lilla, deceased, m. Abraham Bieber, of Reading; Harvey, an enterprising life insurance man of Allentown, and superintendent of the Allentown district of the Baltimore Mutual Life Insurance Company, is married, but has no children; and Calvin and Clara died in infancy. In 1878 Prof. Dengler m. (second) Kate L. (Ritter) Yoder, widow of Thomas Yoder, and they had three children: William, who has a R. F. D. mail route at Oley, is married and his children are, Blanche, Harvey, John and Ella; John was drowned when fourteen; Sallie is a school teacher in Oley and has been teaching since 1906.

It is only fitting to close this too brief biography of so distinguished an educator by an account of a delightful ceremony at the teachers' institute in 1907, held at Reading. Prof. Dengler in recognition of his long and faithful services as a public instructor was presented a silver loving cup, fifty dollars in gold and seventy carnations, the last named representing the number of years he had lived, and celebrating his birthday. Those having the matter in charge very fittingly selected his birthday for the presentation day, and the speech which accompanied the gifts as well as his reply will never be forgotten by those present. Many men sacrificed much for their country. There are thousands of teachers in the country today, but there are few who have been both instructor and soldier in one as has Prof. Dengler. When he served upon the battlefield he was an excellent soldier. After his military life was over, he came home and once more entering the schoolroom resumed his peaceful vocation, only giving a little more of himself to his beloved pupils, for he had learned much in those three and one-half years spent on bloody battlefields and before besieged cities. His war experience gave him a breadth of vision, a fairness in dealing with others, and has enabled him better to fit his pupils for the great battle of life where each one must keep in the ranks and not fly at the first sound of war. In every relation of life Prof. Dengler has proved himself ready and willing to bear his part, and in his wisdom he realizes that he has reached the very best part of his wonderfully useful life, where he can enjoy the fruits of his labors and rest happy in the confidence and love of those whom he has so benefited.


DENGLER, GEORGE C.

, p. 1138

Surnames: DENGLER, CRAMP, GREISSEMER, MISSEMER, KRETZ, LUDWIG, HOOK, MARSHALL, MARQUET, SPOTTS, MILLER

George C. Dengler, one of the younger men of Birdsboro to win success, is the proprietor of the excellent "St. Elmo Hotel." He was born Jan. 12, 1881, son of William and Savannah (Cramp) Dengler.

George Dengler, great-grandfather of George C., settled in what is now Mt. Penn borough, and established a hotel there which is still known as "Denglers." He also owned and operated a lime kiln and carried on a farm. His death occurred in 1866, when he was aged about eighty years. His wife died in 1878. They had a number of children, of whom Charles of Klapperthal is the only survivor. The others were: Effenger, grandfather of George C.; Frank; Madison; Ann, m. to Dr. Greissemer; Sarah, m. to Samuel Missemer, and Wilhelmina, m. to a Mr. Kretz, and lived in Indiana. In religious belief they were all Lutherans.

Effenger Dengler, son of George, learned the trade of butcher, which he followed many years. After locating in Birdsboro he engaged in the hotel business, where the "St. Elmo" now stands. He finally sold this property to his son William and retired. He was one of the best known men in the county. His death occurred when he was aged seventy-three years. His wife, whose maiden name was Elmira Ludwig, bore him twelve children, as follows: George, William, Frank, Charles, Effenger, Irvin, Harry, Clara (m. Joseph Hook), Ida (m. William Marshall), Annie (m. William Marquet), Sally (m. Samuel S. Spotts) and Charles (died in infancy). They were reared in the faith of Luther. In his political belief Mr. Dengler was a Republican, and for several terms held the office of councilman. He also served as tax collector, and was ever to the fore in the work of his part. His fraternal connections were with the I. O. O. F., of Reading.

William Dengler was the son of Effenger and father of George C. As stated above he purchased the old hotel property from his father, and conducted a hostelry for some years. He was connected with the Masons; the P. O. S. of A.; and the K. G. E., and was a member of Friendship Fire Company of Birdsboro. He served as councilman for a good many years. He married Savannah Cramp, daughter of Jacob and Kathryn Cramp, and their children were: George C., Jennie C., Raymond C., Harry C., Claude E. and Kathryn C., the last three deceased.

George C. Dengler was educated in the schools of Birdsboro, and then clerked in the hotel for his father. He has literally been trained all his life to the hotel business, and has adopted it as a calling quite naturally. On April 1, 1902, he engaged in the restaurant business and continued until Nov. 14, 1905, when he assumed the management of the "St. Elmo." He is a typical hotel proprietor, friendly, courteous and accommodating, and he enjoys a large trade. His hotel contains fifteen rooms and is conveniently located.

In 1901 Mr. Dengler married Lulu Miller, daughter of I. W. Miller, and three children have come to brighten their home: Jennie, Rufus and Adaline. Both Mr. And Mrs. Dengler attend the Episcopal Church. He belongs to the P. O. S. of A.; I. O. R. M.; and Aerie No. 66, F. O. E., of Reading: and Friendship Fire Company, of Birdsboro. He is progressive and energetic, and is looked upon as one of Birdsboro's rising young men.


DENNISON, ROBERT H.

p. 590

Surnames: ACKER, DENNISON

Robert H. Dennison, Sr., now retired, who was master painter for the Philadelphia & Reading system, with headquarters at Reading. Pa. is one of the best known men in his line in this city, as well as a highly respected citizen. Although a native of another country he has given his allegiance to his adopted land and proved himself a public-spirited, progressive and intelligent citizen. He was born in 1862, at Kingston, Canada, and was but a child when his parents removed to Albany, N.Y., and in the public schools of that city he obtained his education.

His schooling completed, Mr. Dennison apprenticed himself to learn the trade of carriage painter, a calling he industriously and successfully followed until 1887, when he was offered a position in the painting department of the New York Central Railroad. This he accepted and held until 1896, when he became master painter for the Philadelphia & Reading Company. This position he continued to fill until his retirement to the satisfaction of all concerned. He showed great executive ability in his management of the two hundred men under him, his work covering several divisions of the system, and he won the regard and respect of his subordinates as well as his superiors, a state of affairs very essential to success.

In 1887 Mr. Dennison was married to Miss Margaret Acker of Albany, N. Y., and to this union has been born one son, Robert H., who is employed in the mechanical department of the Philadelphia & Reading Company. The pleasant home and comfortable residence of Mr. Dennison is located on the Kutztown Road, Hyde Park. Mr. Dennison is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to St. John's Lodge, No. 435. F. & A. M., of Reading; Reading Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery No. 42. K. T.; Philadelphia Consistory, No. 320, of Philadelphia; a charter member of the Lodge of Perfection, of Reading; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M .S. He also belongs to Reading Lodge of Elks. Mr. and Mrs. Dennison are members of the Episcopal Church.


DEPPEN, SAMUEL R.

page 802

Surnames: DEPPEN, DEPPE, DEPEW, DUPEE, DE PUI, DAPPEN, TEPPE, MOYER, REED, KALBACH, ZIMMERMAN, YEAKLY, BOONE, WEIGLEY, PUTT, PRICE, NOLL, ROYER, ZUG, TOBIAS, LANDIS, GREYBILL, HOSTETTER, SHELLHAMMER, LEINBACH, GIBBLE, PEIFER, McKNIGHT, RUTH, NEFF, SELTZER, LIVINGOOD, ALTHOUSE, TRYON, SMITH, GRETH, DUNDORE, RIGG, GRUBER, DARIUS, WELLINGTON, REBER, FISHER, GAUL, HUBER

Samuel R. Deppen, Esq., one of the prominent and well-known citizens of Berks county, residing in Heidelberg township, which locality has been the home of the family for generations, has led an active service to his community. He has been successful in the administration of his own affairs and has made a marked impress upon the history and development of Berks county. A man of integrity and high principle, of sound judgment and wisdom, he is one of that class of citizens who have made the government of our forefathers' dreams a living reality.

The Deppen name has been spelled in many ways, often appearing as Deppe, Depew, and Dupee, and some genealogists declare its original form to be that of the old Huguenot family De Pui. In the list of foreigners (emigrants from the Palatinate and their families, in all 330) arriving (according to Rupp) in the ship "Princess Augusta," Samuel Merchant, master, from Rotterdam, last from Cowes, qualified Sept. 16, 1736, was Christian Dappen, aged thirty (or, as on the Captain's book, Christian Teppe).

(1) Christian Dappen or Deppen settled at Womelsdorf. Berks Co., Pa.; where he passed the remainder of his days as a farmer. In the tax lists of Heidelberg township Christian "Deppy" is assessed as follows; 1767, on 300 acres, 3 horses, 3 cattle, 3 sheep; 1768, on 150 (?) acres, 4 horses, 4 cattle, 5 sheep; 1779, 220 acres, 5 horses, 15 cattle; 1780, on 395 acres, 5 horses, 12 cattle; 1781, on 395 acres, 5 horses, 8 cattle. The will of Christian Deppe, of Heidelberg township, is on record in the Berks county court-house, as made Sept. 27, 1775, and probated in 1782. the year of his death. It was witnessed by Philip Moyer, John Casper Reed, and Adam Kalbach, and it begins thus: "I, Christian Deppe, an aged yeoman of Heidelberg township, Berks county." As the will contains no reference to his wife, it is presumed she was dead at the time the will was made, in 1775. At the time of his death he also owned fifty acres of land in Northampton county. In his will he refers to his "eldest and beloved son, Johannes, who shall have fifty pounds over and above his other share." The children as named in the will were: Johannes; Barbara (m. Peter Zimmerman); Anna (m. George Yeakly); Treanica; Elizabeth; Thomas; Peter; David, who died in 1804, (his will in German is on record); Joseph; Jacob; and Abraham, who died in 1840 intestate, and whose heir was Richard Boone, of Heidelberg.

(II) John (Johannes) Deppen, son of Christian, resided north of Womelsdorf, where he died. His sons were: Joseph, Isaac, Adam and Michael. Some of their descendants still live in the township, and in the borough of Womelsdorf and Robesonia.

(III) Joseph Deppen, son of John, was a farmer all his life. His wife's maiden name was Weigley, and their children were: Joseph, who became a veterinary surgeon and lived in Philadelphia; Isaac, a minister at Womelsdorf; Adam, who married Sophia Putt; Samuel; Mary, who married John Price, of Reading; Maria, who married Henry Noll; and Elizabeth, who died unmarried.

(IV) Samuel Deppen, son of Joseph, was born in Womelsdorf, Pa., March 30, 1796. He became a farmer, and was one of the most successful men of his locality. He was very prominent in political affairs, first as a Whig and later as a Republican. His wife, Mary (Royer), was born in Lebanon county, Pa., daughter of John Royer. To this marriage children as follows were born; Catherine, who married Philip Royer, a farmer in Lancaster county; Isaac, who married (first) Rebecca Zug and (second) Catherine Tobias; Mary, who married William Landis, of Lebanon county, both now deceased; Susan, who died young; Elizabeth, widow of H. B. Greybill; Matilda, who married Daniel Hostetter, and died in 1896; John R., a real estate dealer, at Mt. Morris, Ill., who married Sarah J. Shellhammer; Annie, wife of Richard A. Leinbach, a coal, grain and lumber dealer of Robesonia; Sarah, wife of Abraham Gibble, a farmer of Berks county; Lydia, who married L. R. Peifer; and Samuel R. The father of this family died Feb. 6, 1868, aged seventy-one years, and the mother passed away March 1, 1862, aged sixty-four years.

(V) Samuel R. Deppen, son of Samuel and Mary (Royer), born in Lower Heidelberg township Nov. 28, 1841, is now living retired in Robesonia, one of the most highly esteemed citizens of his community. He acquired his education in the public schools of his native township, and when he attained mature years purchased he father's farm, for many years devoting himself to agricultural pursuits. Later he moved to Robesonia, and from 1866 to 1881 he was engaged in the coal, grain and lumber business, also operating the stone quarry at Robesonia, and acting as agent for the Columbus Wire Fence Company, of Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Deppen has always taken a keen interest in the affairs of his town, and loyally supports the principles of the Republican party. He has been many times elected to offices of trust and responsibility, among these being: member of the school board three times; township auditor, two terms; assessor, two terms; county commissioner, 1887; delegate to the National Republican Conventions of 1880 and 1884; and to which he was elected in 1900 and still continues to fill to the general satisfaction of the public. He has served as supervisor of the Womelsdorf and Robesonia water plant, and has in many ways shown his interest in public improvements. He himself has high principles of honesty and integrity, and he demands honesty in others. In 1863 he enlisted in Company E, 42d Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia, Capt. John McKnight, and served as corporal from July 4 to Aug. 12, 1863.

Fraternally Mr. Deppen is a member of Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F. & A. M., Womelsdorf; Reading Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M.; De Molay Commandery, No. 9, K. T., of Reading; and the P. O. S. of A. Camp at Robesonia. He has been one of those citizens who feel it a duty to improve in every way the town in which they swell, and he has erected a number of substantial buildings and a residence. At the present time he represents the Northern Mutual Fire Insurance Company.

Mr. Deppen has been thrice married. On Oct. 1, 1863, he married Sarah Ruth, who died Oct. 5, 1864. His second wife , Mary Ann (Neff), of Womelsdorf, died in 1867. Subsequently he married (third) Mary L. Seltzer, who was born in Womelsdorf, daughter of J. George and Priscilla (Livingood) Seltzer. three children were born of this union, namely; May M., a graduate of Darlington Seminary, class of 1890, is a music teacher in Robesonia; Laura G., who also graduated from Darlington Seminary, class of 1890, and is a gifted artist, married Frank J. Althouse, a druggist of Harrisburg, and has a daughter, Laura; Ella S. died at the age of eleven years.

Dr. Daniel Deppen was born in Heidelberg township in 1800. He received such education as the schools of his home neighborhood afforded, and later read medicine with Dr. Tryon, one of the earliest physicians in all that section of the State. He than went to a medical college in Philadelphia, and after completing his course began the practice of his profession at Bernville, but later moved to the old Deppen homestead, which had come into his possession, and there he continued to make his home until his death, in May 1862. He was buried in a private plot on his farm, and there, too, lie sleeping many of the earlier members of the Deppen family. He married Catherine Smith, born in 1806, who died at the age of ninety-seven. She was a daughter of Philip and Magdalena (Greth) Smith, farming people of Penn township, who erected a house in 1791 on the farm now owned by Isaac Greth. Both the Smiths and Greths were Roman Catholics. To Dr. Daniel Deppen and his wife Catherine were born the following children: Matilda, who married the late Jacob Dundore, and resides at Mt. Pleasant; Mary Ann, who married (first) George Rigg and (second) Isaac Gruber; Dr. Darius, who died in middle life and is buried in the Catholic cemetery in Reading; Dr. James Wellington; Catharine, who died in childhood; Rebecca, who married Erasmus Gruber; Lizzie E. and Emily C., both unmarried and residing at No. 820 Walnut street, Reading; Dr. Joseph; and Dr. William, residing in Reading.

Dr. James Wellington Deppen, son of Dr. Daniel, was born near Bernville, in Penn township, on the old Deppen homestead, Feb. 19, 1837. The common schools and the Bernville high school afforded him a good foundation for his education, and his medical studies were pursued in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated. He began practice at the place where he was born, but after a few years he moved to Mt. Pleasant, a village in the same township, where he was engaged in practice for many years. In 1886 he located in Wernersville,where he practiced until his death, which occurred July 3, 1897. He never specialized in any particular branch, but was a general practitioner, and one of the beloved type of "family doctors" now rapidly passing away. He built the present "Lebanon Valley House," a well-known hostelry at Wernersville, also the present brick residence on the main street of the town where his widow made her home. She was a highly respected woman, and enjoyed the esteem of all who knew her. Both Dr. Deppen and his wife attended Hains Reformed Church, where his remains were buried.

In 1860 Dr. Deppen was married to Mary A. Reber, daughter of John and Sarah (Fisher) Reber, and three children blessed this union, namely: Gertrude married George Gaul, and died in 1901, at the age of thirty years; Daniel is employed at the Grandview Sanitarium, at Wernersville; Charles married Mary Huber, has one son, Stanley, and resided with his mother, Mrs. Deepen, who died Dec. 8, 1907, at the age of sixty-five years.


DERR, CYRUS G. p. 779

Surnames: DERR, DERRY, HILDEBRAND, BRUBAKER, STEWART, WEIDMAN, ARCHER

Cyrus G. Derr, lawyer of Reading, was born July 18, 1848, at Lebanon, Lebanon Co., Pa., son of William M. Derr, a leading member until his death of the Lebanon Bar, at which he practiced for forty years.

George Derr, his grandfather, was born in Berks county in 1800, moved to Reading when a young man, and there married. When his son William was three months old he removed with his family to Lebanon, Pa., where he became a prominent citizen. He became identified with the construction of the Union canal, being superintendent of the middle division, extending from Myerstown to the Swatara. He served as chief burgess, was a trustee of Lebanon Seminary, and was active in church work, being one of the founders of the Zion Lutheran Church, which he also served in an official capacity. He died in 1880.

The Derr family is of Irish extraction, and the immigrant ancestor spelled the name Derry, but the "y" was dropped in course of time. He settled near Monocacy, Berks Co., Pa., engaged in farming, and acquired considerable property.

William M. Derr was born in Reading, Pa., in 1827, and as above stated was three months old when the family moved to Lebanon. He received his early education in the public schools and in Lebanon Academy, and, choosing his life work, began the study of law. But in deference to his parents' wishes he took up medicine, at the Pennsylvania Medical College, Philadelphia, and before settling down to his first choice also studied theology and architecture. In the end he returned to law, and meantime he spent a couple of years in the Western States, being in fact first admitted to the Bar in Illinois. His experiences broadened him and quickened his perceptions. In 1858 he was admitted to the Lebanon county Bar, and there he practiced for almost forty years, until his death, May 31, 1897. He was foremost in many respects among the members of his profession, was long a member and for some time president of the Lebanon Bar Association, and at the time of his death was the oldest member of the Lebanon Bar. But his intellectual strength had never waned, and he was known to the last as a profound scholar and learned legal adviser, a man of keen wit and eloquent speech, and he used his gifts for the benefit of his fellowmen as much as his own interests. He was solicited to become judge, but declined. To an unusual degree he held the confidence of his clients and of the public, for he was known as a man who gave the best that was in him to his work and his patrons, and he was ever ready to espouse a cause for the right, his poorer clients receiving the same consideration that he gave to those of means. He was a member of St. John's Reformed Church and a liberal contributor to the Widows' Home and to other charitable institutions. In political sentiment he was a Republican, and he wielded a strong influence in his party, though he had no political aspirations himself. During the Civil war he entered the Union service, organizing and becoming the first Captain of Company A, 93d Regt. P. V. I., and served in the Virginia campaign.

On April 3, 1846, Mr. Derr married Caroline Hildebrand, born March 22, 1826, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Brubaker) Hildebrand, of Lancaster county, and two children were born of this union: Francis, who died young, and Cyrus G.

Cyrus G. Derr received his literary education in the public schools of Lebanon, and his legal preparation in the law department of the University of Pennsylvania. Though only a boy during the Civil war he enlisted, in 1863, in Company E, 26th Regiment, Emergency Troops, and was taken prisoner in a skirmish with Jenkins' Confederate Cavalry, near Gettysburg, a few days before the famous battle. He was later paroled. The next year, during the invasion in which Chambersburg was burned, he enlisted for one hundred days, serving in Company G, of an independent organization, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Charles Stewart; this company was largely made up of students from the Pennsylvania Agricultural College in Centre county. As a precaution in case he was again captured, Mr. Derr's second enlistment was made under the name "Calvin" Derr, as he was uncertain whether a Confederate court-martial would construe the parole of the preceding year as he did, limited to the period of his first term of service.

Mr. Derr was admitted to the Bar in August, 1869, and after practicing a year with his father located in Reading. Though he met with success at once his father induced him to return to Lebanon after a year, but he was so well impressed with the possibilities Reading offered him that he settled there permanently in 1872, since which time he has been in continuous practice. During his earlier years he gave much time to literary work, but of late his legal responsibilities have been so heavy as to preclude almost all other work, his large clientele including a number of important corporations, among them the Pennsylvania Railroad Company and the Pennsylvania Trust Company. Like his father, he is a Republican in politics, but without official ambitions.

Mr. Derr was one of the founders and proprietors of the old Reading Review, an independent publication, which during the few years of its existence became noted for its fearlessness and aggressive policy. He was a regular contributor to its columns. He was a member and promoter of the Reading Lyceum and Reading Literary Society, and delivered lectures in Reading and other places upon Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice," Scott's "Lay of the Last Minstrel" and the "Oratory of St. Paul." His literary attainments are noteworthy.

On Nov. 30, 1870, Mr. Derr married Mary Virginia Weidman, daughter of Gen. John Weidman and sister of the late Maj. Grant Weidman, of Lebanon. Mr. And Mrs. Derr have one child, Caroline Roberts, now the wife of John M. Archer, of Reading.


DERR FAMILY

p. 1389

Surnames: DERR, SCHUMAKER, LEIBIG, STOUT, KEMMERER, FISHER, HIPPENSTEAL, WEBER, SCHANBERGER, LAING, EISENBISE, STUEBNER

From the records of Berks county the following interesting information is gleaned relative to the old Derr family: Johann Heinrich Derr was born Dec. 13, 1787, and died Aug. 15, 1867, aged seventy-nine years, eight months and two days. His wife was Sarah Schumaker, born in 1803, died in 1882. Another Heinrich Derr was born April 9, 1795, and died Feb. 15, 1878, aged eighty-two years, ten months and six days. His wife's Christian name was Sibilla.

David Derr was born Sept. 13, 1814, died May 14, 1888, aged seventy-three years and eight months. His wife was Sarah A. Leibig, born in 1826, died in 1881.

Henry Derr, son of David above mentioned, was born in 1854, and died in 1893.

John Derr of Amity township, Berks county, has entered in Will Book D, page 274, on March 1, 1821, a will made under the date of Dec. 5, 1820. John Derr had sons, -- John, Samuel and Henry George.

Henry Derr, father of Henry Derr and grandfather of Thomas L., had among other children the following: Mrs. Jacob Stout of Emaus, Lehigh county; Mrs. Henry Kemmerer in Emaus; William who was a well known blacksmith near Kutztown; Henry.

Henry Derr, son of Henry Derr and father of Thomas L. Derr, was born in Hereford township, Berks county, in March, 1820, and there received his education. When a young man he learned the tailor trade, and coming to Reading in 1849 he engaged in business on Penn street, below Eighth street, conducting a clothing store for some years. Later he was a grocer at Ninth and Penn streets. Still later he returned to his trade and worked at it until his death which occurred in 1865, when he was forty-five years of age. His body was interred in the Charles Evans cemetery.

The wife of Henry Derr was Maria Fisher, a daughter of William and Catherine (Hippensteal) Fisher. Mrs. Derr died at Reading at the age of sixty-six years. Their children were: William of Wooster, Ohio, veterinary surgeon, who has three children, --William, Emma and Earl; Amanda A. who married Charles Weber of Reading, foreman in the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company's shops; Hezekiah who died at the age of fourteen years; Matilda who married Charles Schanberger; Charles whose wife's first name is Lizzie and who lives at Kent, Ohio; Antura married Roland Laing, health Commissioner of Reading, and Thomas L. Derr.

Charles Weber, son-in-law of Henry Derr, enlisted in Company A, 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves, June 4, 1961, and was honorably discharged June 7, 1864, having served through some of the worst engagements of the Civil war. He again enlisted on Aug. 24, 1864, in Company D, 198th Regiment, and remained in the service until the close of the war. Mr. And Mrs. Weber have had these children: William H.; Charles D., deceased; George; Mary C.; Laura D.; Howard and Arthur G.

Thomas Luther Derr was born at Reading March 27, 1859, and his boyhood days were spent in this city, where he attended school, and later learning the machinist's trade in the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad shops at Seventh and Chestnut streets. He followed his trade for thirty-four consecutive years, and for nine years was foreman in the machine department, and is a very able mechanic. At present Mr. Derr is in the employ of the Metropolitan Electric Light Company, of Reading, having charge of a number of men, and being the chief gas fitter for the company.

Mr. Derr is an inventor, and among other things invented a grease cup in 1906, which runs 19,000 miles for one-half cent's worth of grease. He holds deeds for patents for the United States, Canada, England, Germany, France and Belgium. He was offered $20,000 for this patent in the fall of 1907, but he refused to sell. He has also invented a gage-cock for locomotives, March, 1907, and after a year's trial it has been proven a great success. These inventions are on the market.

Mr. Derr is a man of remarkable ability, and is a deep and profound thinker who carefully studies out problems which perplex other men. His standing is a high one in the world of successful inventors.

In politics he is a strong Republican, and at one time took an active part in party matters. Fraternally he is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. No. 66, and is one of the organizers of that lodge in Reading. He is also a member of the K. G. E., No. 433; and P. O. S. of A. Camp No. 61, both of Reading.

On Dec. 18, 1882, he married Clara V. Eisenbise, a daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Stuebner) Eisenbise. They have no children.

Mr. And Mrs. Derr reside in their own home at No. 1138 North Ninth street, where they have lived since 1898. This home is a beautiful one, and is numbered among the fine residences of Reading. Here Mr. And Mrs. Derr dispense a cordial delightful hospitality to their many friends.

The work of a man like Mr. Derr must always serve as a lesson and a source of encouragement to young men who have only themselves to depend upon. Leaving school in the grammar grade, Mr. Derr may well claim to be entirely self made. He has patiently developed his talent into genius and has made his name a well known on wherever machinery is used.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:58 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.