Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

DE GOUR, FRANK LEWIS (DR.)

p. 1566

Surnames: DE GOUR, FLEMING, WINDER, SMITH, HAHN, FIES, YOUNG

Dr. Frank Lewis De Gour, dentist, residing in Reading since 1874, was born Dec. 3, 1837, in Philadelphia, and is the son of Lewis De Gour.

Dr. De Gour's grandfather emigrated from France about 1815.

Lewis De Gour was a carpenter and stair-builder of Philadelphia, and died in 1839 at the age of twenty-seven years. He married Amanda M. Fleming, of Brandywine, Pa., and their children were: George, of Philadelphia (married Amanda Winder), Frank L., and Ambrose, of Philadelphia (married Hannah B. Smith).

Frank Lewis De Gour was educated in the local schools and later attended the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, where he graduated in 1870. He began the practice of his profession in Wilkesbarre, Pa., and remained there for three years, at the end of which time he located at Reading, where he has been practicing in his present office, No. 11 North Fourth street, for twenty-one years.

Dr. De Gour enlisted in the Civil war for three years at Philadelphia Aug. 10, 1861, in Company L, Seventy-second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Infantry, commonly known as the Colonel Baxter zouaves. He participated in the numerous engagements and skirmishes of that famous regiment, and with many other soldiers, was taken prisoner at Fair Oaks, Va., in July, 1862. After remaining in prison for twenty days he was paroled on account of an attack of typhoid fever, and later, for physical disability, was honorably discharged. In July, 1863, he enlisted in the Pennsylvania Independent Cavalry Company, which performed military services in Schuylkill county, for three services. Since 1876 he has been a member of Keim Post, No. 76, G. A. R., at Reading. He has a fine collection of G. A. R. medals and of trophies of war, from different battle fields, especially of the great battle of Gettysburg.

In 1872 Dr. De Gour married Emma S. Hahn, daughter of Henry and Catherine (Fies) Hahn, of Reading, and their children are: Harry F. (married Justina Young); William C.; and Amanda (who died young).

Mrs. De Gour's father was a lineal descendant of Henry Hahn, who was one of the first property holders of Reading.


DEHART FAMILY

p. 1714

Surnames: DEHART, GERBER, AUMAN, McGEE, KEPPLER, BREIDENBACH, GOOD

There are only scattering records to guide the searcher for the early history of the Dehart family, but the line of the late David G. Dehart, of Amity township, Berks county, is comparatively clear. In 1752 and 1759 among the list of taxables in Amity township is the name of Cornelius Dehart, a large land owner, who paid a federal tax of fifteen pounds. In 1759 the name of Cornelius Dehart also appears as a taxable in District township, this county, where he paid a tax of three pounds. In 1775 Cornelius Dehart, and also Samuel and William Dehart, are mentioned as taxables in Amity.

Cornelius Dehart, Jr., son of Cornelius, became the father of two sons, one of whom was David; and the other left home when he was twelve years of age and he was never again heard from.

David Dehart, son of Cornelius, Jr., was born about 1800, and died about 1865. Both he and his wife, Susan Gerber, are buried at Amityville. They had their home on the Swamp road in Earl township. He was a weaver by trade, and also for thirty-nine years followed butchering, traveling from place to place. To David and Susan (Gerber) Dehart were born seven children: Samuel died young; Charles G. lived in Amityville; David G.; Harriet m. Moses Auman; Ann m. Jere McGee; Rachel m. William Keppler, of Pottstown; and Susan died young.

David G. Dehart was born June 18, 1831, and lived at Weaverstown, in Amity township, where he died March 4, 1904. He was a plasterer and operated in the lower end of the county, employing a number of men. He and his wife were Lutherans, belonging to the church at Amityville. He served as an official in the church, and was ever interested in religious work.

On Feb. 16, 1859, Mr. Dehart married Harriet Breidenbach, born Aug. 17, 1837, daughter of John and Hannah (Good) Breidenbach. The only child of this union, William, died aged three years. Mrs. Dehart is well preserved and makes her home at Weaverstown.

John Breidenbach, father of Mrs. Dehart, was a cooper, and had a shop at Weaverstown, where he was assisted by his sons. He died in the sixties when past seventy years of age. His wife died in 1889, when over seventy years old. Their children were: William, Frank, Samuel, Harriet, Thamson, Mary Ann, Charles, Harrison and John.


DE HART, F. B.

p. 1553

Surnames: DE HART, BORTNER, DICK, LUTZ, DUBSON, RHOADS

F. B. De Hart, proprietor of De Hart's Riding School and of a first-class livery, sale and exchange stable, Reading, was born in Exeter township, Berks Co., Pa., son of George W. and Leah (Bortner) De Hart.

George W. De Hart, who was well known as a cattle drover and veterinarian, was toll-gate keeper at the Oley Line, where he died in 1905, aged sixty-eight years. He married Leah Bortner, a native of Berks county, and to them were born eight children: Libbie; Mary; Catherine m. Eli Dick; Anna M., deceased; George W., of Baltimore, Md.; F. B.; Jacob, of Washington, D. C.; and Charles, a clerk. In religious belief the father was a Lutheran, while the mother belonged to the Reformed denomination.

F. B. De Hart was educated in the schools of Exeter township, and after completing his literary training was employed by Samuel Rhoads, at Eighth and Court streets until 1886, when he engaged in butchering for Frederick Brothers, remaining with this firm for some time, and then was employed by E. B. Lutz, with whom he continued three and one-half years. Mr. De Hart then engaged in a drover business, renting a stable at Eighth and Buttonwood streets, later being located at Poplar and Court streets, and later at the old Weitzel stable, where the high school now stands. From that location, in 1904, he came to his present place, No. 417 Paul street, where he does a large business, having twenty-two livery horses and first-class carriages. Mr. De Hart resides at No. 935 Washington street, Reading, and has a large acquaintance. He is a member of the Reading Driving Association, the Turner's Club, and the P. O. S. of A.

Mr. De Hart was united in marriage with Miss Hattie Dubson.


DEHART, PHILIP

p. 1440

Surnames: DEHART, BORGERT, KNABB, HARNER, BECHTEL, BABB, TROUT, STAUTLER, JONES, BRIDEGAM

Philip Dehart, of Reading, Pa., who for a number of years has been closely identified with the rolling mill business in this section, has been living retired since 1902. Mr. Dehart was born Dec. 28, 1843, in Alsace township, Berks county, Pa., son of Gilbert and Lydia Ann (Borgert) Dehart.

Jacob Dehart, the great-grandfather of Philip, married Susanna Knabb, daughter of Nicholas and Susannah. He was a farmer and land-owner in Oley, Alsace and Exeter townships, these farms having been originally owned by his father-in-law. He was at one time considered very wealthy and owned much real estate. His son, John, grandfather of Philip, married Polly Harner. John Dehart was a weaver and farmer, spending the latter years of his life in agricultural pursuits on a property now owned by his son, Amos, in Alsace township. Here he died in 1869, aged about 100 years, his wife passing away in 1860, when eighty-six years of age. They had the following children: William; Rachel; Jacob Briner; Abraham; Gilbert; David; Jeremiah; Jacob; Amos, living at the age of ninety-four years; Lydia, who married Joel Bechtel and lives in Birdsboro; Mary, who married John Babb; Annie, who married Samuel Trout, and John, all being deceased except Amos and Lydia. Mr. Dehart was a Whig in politics.

Gilbert Dehart was the proprietor of a paper mill at Stony Creek, and was also a millwright, following the latter occupation the greater part of his life. His last work was done on Dunkle's mill, and his death occurred in 1881, in his seventy-second year, his wife surviving until 1898, when she died, aged eighty-five. They had five children: John, Frederick, Philip; Susan, who married Frank Stautler, and Barbara, who married Samuel Jones. In religious belief the family were Lutherans. Mr. Dehart was a Republican.

Philip Dehart received his education in the schools of Berks county, and for a time worked at distilling. He then secured employment in the Reading rolling mill, where he remained several years, then going to Hamburg, where the next two and one-half years were spent. Mr. Dehart's work was then continued at Sternbergh's mill, where he remained for a period of twenty-nine years, he retiring in 1902, since which time he has been engaged in looking after his real estate interests. Mr. Dehart owns seven houses, a good deal of property, and a seventy-six acre farm.

In 1864 Mr. Dehart was married to Matilda Bridegam, daughter of William Bridegam, and they had three children, all of whom died in infancy. In politics Mr. Dehart is a Republican.


DeHART, WILLIAM H.

p. 1036

Surnames: DeHART, MILLER, BECHTEL, BUXTON, DAVIES, CHANEY, SPEIR, FEGER, FOX

William DeHart, a survivor of the Civil war, and one of Reading's well-known retired citizens, who now makes his home in his comfortable residence at No. 910 North Front street, was born in Reading, Feb. 25, 1842, son of Charles M. DeHart, and grandson of Cornelius DeHart.

Cornelius DeHart was born in the State of Delaware, Jan. 15, 1777, and on reaching man's estate came to Berks county, Pa., settling in Amity township, where Oct. 27, 1795, he married Mary Miller, born Nov. 17, 1779. He was a well known weaver, an occupation which he followed for many years in this locality, in later years, removing to Robeson township, where he died July 8, 1858, his burial taking place at Amityville. His wife died July 17, 1848, having been the mother of these children: Ann, born Oct. 1, 1797; Thomas, Aug. 21, 1799; William, Dec. 16, 1801; Michael, July 17, 1804; John, Feb. 23, 1807; Charles M., May 30, 1809; Andrew, Sept 14, 1812; Levi, Feb. 13, 185l; Margaret, Oct. 19, 1817; and Harriet, March 20, 1822. Of this family Michael DeHart, who died in Reading in 1893, in his ninetieth year, married Harriet Bechtel, daughter of Jacob Bechtel of Reading, and they had these children: Tamsen, Angeline, Matilda, Maria, Amelia (widow of David Buxton, who was second lieutenant in the 1st Pa. Cav., and died in Libby Prison in 1864 from wounds received in battle), George and Anson B.

Charles M. DeHart, father of William H., was a machinist by trade, an occupation which he followed all of his life in Reading and Altoona, Pa., and Nashville, Tenn., his death occurring in the first-named place in 1886. He was buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. Mr. DeHart married Mary W. Davies, daughter of Benjamin Davies who for many years was connected with the Farmers' National Bank of Reading. To this union there were born children as follows: William H.; Davies, of Philadelphia; Edward, still living in Reading; Charles, who died in Iowa; Elizabeth, of Reading; Emily, deceased; and Mary, the wife of George W. Chaney, of Lebanon, Pennsylvania.

William H. DeHart secured his education in the public schools of Reading, and after leaving high school learned the trade of machinist in the shops of the Philadelphia & Reading Company, following this occupation until April, 1861, when he enlisted as corporal of Company G, 7th Pa. V. I., in which he served four months. On Dec. 5, 1861, he enlisted in the engineering corps, United States Navy, and July 25, 1866, was promoted to second assistant engineer, resigning in December, 1869, after having seen extremely hard service. On his return to Reading, he re-entered the service of the Philadelphia & Reading Company, later became connected with the Scott Works, and finally identified himself with the American Iron & Steel Company, where he served as foreman for several years. Since 1906 he has lived retired. Mr. DeHart is fraternally connected with the P. O. S. of A.

Mr. DeHart married Miss Agnes Speir, daughter of John Speir, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and they have had children as follows: Agnes, a teacher in the Reading public schools; Bessie B., who married William E. Feger, and died leaving two sons, Robert and Frederick; Alice; Helen, who married Harry Fox, of Valparaiso; and Arthur, a machinist, who make his home in Reading.


DEISHER FAMILY

p. 1160-1162

Surnames: DEISHER, TEISHER, TYSHER, DEYSHER, KINNE, HISTER, LESHER, POTTS, KNABE, SCHOLL, HILL, KUTZ, HOTTENSTEIN, SHARADIN, DUNKEL, DREIBELBIS, CHRISTMAN, WANNER, KUTZ, BUTZ, KOHLER, LEIBENSPERGER, SELL, KINDT, CAMPMAN, RAHN, KIEFFER, PETERS, LEIBY, MERTZ, SWOYER, WESSNER, DRUCKENMILLER, HERBINE, De TURK, DIETRICH, EBERT, WAGONHORST, SIEGFREID

Some time between the years 1765 and 1775 there came to America from Germany three Deisher brothers. On the official records their names appear as Teisher, but it is not known whether this is the original way of spelling or only a clerical error. Tradition has it that the original spelling was Tysher. These three brothers were Peter, John and Stephen. According to the prevailing tradition John settled in Oley township, where he afterward lived, and where some of his descendants are still living. Stephen settled at Walnuttown, near Fleetwood, and Peter settled in Maxatawny township, near where is now the thriving borough of Kutztown.

Peter Deysher came to Pennsylvania about the middle of the eighteenth century, and located in Maxatawny township, Berks county. His wife, who preceded him in death, bore him six children: Peter; Stephen, who was a taxable in Richmond township in 1759, paying 9 tax; Jacob; Mrs. Henry Kinne, whose son John was mentioned in his grandfather Deysher's will; Barbara, who married Peter Hister; and Elizabeth Susanna, who was unmarried as late as 1761. Peter Deysher's will, recorded in Will Book 1, page 102, was made Jan. 9, 1761, probated June 27, 1761. In it he is classed as a yeoman, and as "old and infirm" in years. His son Stephen was executor.

Peter Deysher, great-grandfather of Henry K. Deisher, of Kutztown, was born on the tract of land in Maxatawny township which the first Peter purchased when he settled in that locality. He married Elizabeth (Betzy) Lesher, who survived him. Of her family history nothing is known except that she had a sister married to a man named Potts, and lived in Schuylkill county near where is now Pottsville. Peter Deysher and Elizabeth, his wife, had sons Peter and John. The latter lived on the old homestead, and died there; he had two sons, Daniel (who had nine children, seven living) and John (died without issue), and three daughters, Mrs. Peter Knabe, Mrs. William Scholl and Mrs. Elizabeth Hill. Peter Deysher, the father, died at the age of thirty-five years, and was buried in a private graveyard on his farm where his parents and other members of the family are also buried. Through the advance of years this place of interment has been farmed over and there now is nothing to show it ever existed. His will, which is on record in Will Book IV, page 437, was made Sept. 7, 1807, and probated Sept. 25, 1817, his friends, Jacob Kutz and David Hottenstein, being executors. This will proves him a man of much forethought, providing for the education of his sons, and that his farm of 234 acres and all the rest of his estate be kept together until his children should become of age. This farm is now owned by Abbie Sharadin, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Dunkel) Deysher. On this farm were erected by Mr. Deysher a set of buildings, all since replaced except the spring house, which is still in a good state of preservation.

Peter Deysher, son of Peter and Elizabeth (Lesher), was born on his father's farm in Maxatawny township Nov. 21, 1802. His father dying when he was young, he was early thrown upon his own resources. He received such educational advantages as could be obtained in that day, and he became a man of considerable force of character and a useful citizen. He was one of the first school directors of Maxatawny township, and helped to inaugurate the free school system, superintending the erection of the first public school houses that were built in the district. He was frugal and industrious, and by good management acquired the ownership of a part of the old homestead, upon which he lived and died. The land he owned embraced the farm of his son William, 135 acres in Lower Macungie, Lehigh county; of his son Charles, 175 acres in Maxatawny; of his son John D., 128 acres; and of his son Jacob, 137 acres. Peter Deysher was twice married. He first married Elizabeth Dunkel, born in Greenwich township, Feb. 28, 1800, daughter of Jacob Dunkel and his wife Hannah Dreibelbis. To their union were born the following children: Hettie m. Isaac Christman; Elizabeth m. William Wanner; William (deceased) m. (first) Sarah Kutz, (second) Sarah Butz, and lived in Lehigh county; John Dunkel Deisher, born April 8, 1826, is mentioned below; Anna m. William Kohler, of Greenwich township; Hannah Susannah m. Stephen Leibensperger; Caroline m. George Sell, of Richmond township; Peter died when a child; Jacob m. Caroline Butz; Abbie m. Henry Sharadin, of Kutztown; Charles m. (first) Hetty Kindt, (second) Susanna Kindt, and (third) Sarah Campman, and lives in Kutztown; Maria m. Charles Rahn; Louisa m. Nicholas Kieffer. Elizabeth (Dunkel) Deysher, the mother, died Jan. 3, 1864, and Mr. Deysher married Rachael (Ryle "for short") Peters, born Oct. 23, 1811, who died Sept. 2, 1873, without issue. Peter Deysher died May 15, 1884, and he and both of his wives are buried in Fairview cemetery, at Kutztown. He was an official member of St. John's Lutheran Church. His signature, herewith given, shows that he wrote the name Deysher, though his children use the "i" John Dunkel Deisher, his son, whose signature is also shown, when questioned recently upon this subject, said: "When the public schools and the learned teachers came they spelled it with an "i".

John Dunkel Deisher, son of Peter and Elizabeth (Dunkel) Deysher, was born in Maxatawny township April 8, 1826, on his father's farm adjoining the old Deisher homestead, and there he grew to manhood. The only language then spoken in his neighborhood was the Pennsylvania-German. This was the language of the country school he attended and of all his schoolmates. This was a serious handicap, and he never learned to speak English. This, however, did not keep him from coping quite successfully with life's difficulties. He engaged at farming, and prospered. Through the assistance of his father he early acquired a fine farm, later liquidating his indebtedness to his father by installments. This farm, situated about one and one-half miles east of Kutztown, contains 128 acres. He bought a limestone quarry in the same locality, built five kilns and engaged extensively in burning lime. His business rapidly increased and in order to supply the demand he soon found it necessary to buy another quarry and two more kilns. He also bought both wooded and cleared lands in Greenwich township, and in another part of Maxatawny, increasing his possessions to very respectable proportions. He farmed and burned lime until in 1885, when, admonished by the steady advances of age, he relinquished the active duties of life and removed to Kutztown, where he has been residing ever since. In February, 1909, to lessen his cares he sold his farm to his son John, and another homestead to his son Charles, and divided the bulk of his possessions among his children.

Mr. Deisher is an earnest Christian man and belongs to the Lutheran Church, of which denomination his family have been adherents in the past. In politics he is an unswerving Democrat, but beyond serving as school director he has never sought or held office.

John D. Deisher married Hannah Kohler, daughter of John and Rebecca (Leiby) Kohler, and to them the following children were born: William, a carpenter by trade, died in Allentown in 1901; Sarah m. John Mertz, and lives near Kutztown; Louisa m. Jacob Swoyer, of near Kutztown; Mary died young; Hannah m. Reuben Wessner, and lives in Allentown; Caroline m. B. D. Druckenmiller, and lives in Kutztown; John m. Luella Herbine, and has farmed his father's farm since 1885, purchasing it in February, 1909; Henry K. is mentioned below; George died in infancy; Lizzie m. Eugene De Turk, of Kutztown; Charles m. Lizzie Dietrich, and lives near Kutztown, on his father's property, which he purchased in February, 1909. Mrs. Hannah (Kohler) Deisher died June 1, 1897, at the age of sixty-eight years. Mr. Deisher has since married Mrs. Flora (Ebert) Hill.

Henry K. Deisher, son of John D. and Hannah Deisher, was born in Maxatawny township March 12, 1867. Possessing a natural aptitude for learning he was sent early to the district school, where, notwithstanding the fact he was unable to speak the English language, he made rapid progress. He excelled in memorizing, and Picture of Henry Deisherbefore he was six years old was able to recite from memory all of the counties in Pennsylvania with their county-seats, all of the townships and boroughs of Berks county, and all of the school districts in Maxatawny township. It so happened that he had a teacher who could draw lessons from nature--leaves, stones and other things gathered in forest and field. This teacher upon one occasion requested his pupils to bring him specimens of all the different kinds of stones of which they had knowledge, and among the collection Henry K. Deisher brought were eight Indian arrow-heads, which he had found upon his father's farm. These exhibits did duty until the end of that term, and then there came a teacher of different views regarding nature studies. Pebbles and stones and leaves of grass did not appeal to him, and when the school-house received a renovation the entire exhibit collected by the pupils of his predecessor, unknown to Henry K. Deisher, was thrown out of doors as so much trash. Being then not yet seven years old, the disappearance of his arrow-heads was a sore loss to him, and on learning what had been done with them he went on a search, luckily finding them all. He took them home and placed them where they would be safe, and they became the nucleus of an archaeological collection which has long been meat and drink to the owner, besides winning him a proud distinction. Beginning in his early youth, it gradually grew until in time it became the curiosity and talk of the neighborhood. Encouraged by the comments it received, he when but eleven years old exhibited it at the Kutztown Fair, where it was awarded first premium, although he had a very strong competitor. It now numbers 22,000 specimens, all properly classified, and arranged in a large upper room which Mr. Deisher had expressly constructed for it in the new home he recently built. So long and intently has he been working in this special field, and so thoroughly conversant is he with its details, both from experience and from books, that it has become his art, and he revels in it and discourses upon it with the readiness and force of a master. Besides being the wonder of the community it is one of the largest and most remarkable private collections of the kind in the country, constantly attracting visitors, and it has been inspected by some of the most learned authorities in America.

On completing the course of the district schools Henry K. Deisher entered the Keystone State Normal School with the intention of taking a full course in it. After attending this institution for several terms a clerkship in the leading dry-goods store in Kutztown was offered him, which induced him to give up his project of graduating from the normal school and enter upon a mercantile career. He clerked in Kutztown for several years and then yielded to a thirst to see something of the outside world and took a trip to the West, traveling through twenty-three different States. With his curiosity concerning the Western country somewhat satisfied he returned to Kutztown and engaged as a clerk in the mercantile trade until he was ready to enter upon business for himself. In 1890 he became proprietor of the King Knitting Mills, which he enlarged and equipped with improved machinery, and other devices calculated to increase the quantity and quality of the output. Under his personal direction and management the industry has grown to large proportions, and it now affords steady employment to many hands of both sexes. The goods it turns out enjoy a high reputation and annually command large sales both at home and at a distance, his trade covering nearly every section of the country.

On Dec. 29, 1892, Mr. Deisher married R. Annie Wagonhorst, daughter of John and Louisa (Siegfreid) Wagonhorst, of Kutztown, and to this union has been born one child, Dorothy Ruth. The family home is on Noble street, and is both beautiful in appearance and admirably designed for the convenience of living. It is tastefully furnished, and the visitor sees at a glance that it is not only the seat of domestic comfort, but the abiding place of genius and art as well. Mr. Deisher is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, of Kutztown, and his wife belongs to the Reformed Church, and through their integrity, sociability and Christian graces they enjoy the respect and friendship of the entire community. In politics Mr. Deisher is independent, voting for what he considers the best men and advocating for his municipality advanced ideas, and this course has received significant endorsement in his being elected councilman in recent years by an overwhelming majority. Since January, 1908, he has served as a director of the Kutztown National Bank. Mr. Deisher is a member of the Berks County Historical Society and the Pennsylvania German Society.

Note: Photo of Henry K. Deisher is found opposite page 1160. Signatures of Peter Deysher and John D. Deysher are found on page 1161.


DEISHER, I. A.

p. 398

Surnames: DEISHER, FINK, SHOMO, BODENHORN, APPLE, THEILHEIMER, DIENER

I. A. Deisher, a well-known business man of Reading, Pa., who is engaged in the jewelry business at No. 514 Penn street, Reading, was born in Hamburg, Pa., Aug. 13, 1866, son of Henry and Valarya (Fink) Deisher.

David Deisher, grandfather of I. A., was a mill owner and farmer, following these occupations throughout a long and useful life in Kutztown and later at Hamburg. He was a very energetic business man and accumulated a considerable fortune, retiring shortly prior to his death. He and his wife were the parents of a large family of children, several of whom died young, those who lived to maturity being: Gereon, William, Henry and Catherine (married William D. Shomo). The family were members of the Lutheran Church, and in politics Mr. Deisher was a Democrat, holding for some years the office of director of the poor. His son, Henry Deisher, received a common school education, and later supplemented this with a course at a seminary at Collegeville, after leaving which he worked on the home farm until reaching manhood, when he purchased the old Lintz foundry at Hamburg, operating this for many years. He is now living retired with his son. To Mr. Deisher and his wife, who died in 1888, were born three children, two of whom died in infancy, I. A. being the only survivor. Henry Deisher is a Lutheran in religious matters. In his political views he is a stanch Democrat.

I. A. Deisher was educated in the high school at Hamburg, Pa., and when a boy entered the drug store of Adam Bodenhorn, with whom he worked four years. At the end of that time he apprenticed himself to the jeweler's trade with W. W. Apple, with whom he served his time, going thence to Harrisburg, where he worked for six years with Philip Theilheimer. After the latter's death Mr. Deisher purchased his employer's interest in the business, carrying it on for four years. In 1897 he came to Reading, purchasing the Burkhart store at Nos. 424-426 Penn street, and in April 1908, he moved to the larger and more centrally located store at No. 514 Penn street. He handles a first-class line of jewelry, silverware, cut glass and novelties, and makes a specialty of repairs, especially optical, being a skilled mechanic and optician. Mr. Deisher is a graduate from several well-known institutions, among them Bucklin's School of Optics, the Spencer Optical Institute, the McCormick Optical College and the McCormick Neurological College, the first two colleges located in New York, and the last two in Chicago. He has been very successful in this branch of the business.

In 1895 Mr. Deisher married Miss Lizzie A. Deiner, a native of Topton, Berks county, and two children were born to this union: Esther and Clarence. Mr. Deisher is a member of the Elks, the Royal Arcanum and the Heptasophs. In both religious and political views he is broad and liberal, believing that every man should use his own judgment in these matters.


DEISHER, JACOB P. and FRANK A.

p. 1637

Surnames: DEISHER, DUNKEL, BUTZ, DRESCHER, KUTZ, FISHER, GULDIN, DERR

Jacob P. and Frank A. Deisher, prosperous farmers of Maxatawany township, Berks county, Pa., and sons of Jacob and Caroline Deisher, are members of an old and distinguished family of Berks county, mentioned in full in sketch of Henry K. Deisher, elsewhere.

Jacob Deisher, who was of the fourth generation of this family in America, was a son of Peter and Elizabeth (Dunkel) Deisher, and was born in Maxatawny township Feb. 3, 1834. He devoted his life to farming in his native township, and owned the farm now belonging to his son, Frank A. There he died May 15, 1874, aged forty years, three months and twelve days. In his religious faith he was a Lutheran, belonging to Zion's Church, of Maxatawny, in which he held the office of deacon. He was buried in the Deisher family lot at Maxatawny Zion's Church. He married Caroline Butz, born Aug. 22, 1835, daughter of Reuben and Henrietta (Drescher) Butz, and she now lives with her son Jacob P. Six children were born to this union: Marietta m. Edward S. Kutz (mentioned elsewhere); Frank A.; Jacob P.; Ida and Caroline S., both unmarried; and Rev. George R., of Jonestown, Lebanon county.

Jacob P. Deisher, son of Jacob and Caroline, and now a prosperous farmer at Five Points, in Maxatawny township, was born there Nov. 5, 1864. He attended the district school until he was sixteen years of age, and was reared under the careful guidance of his parents. When but nineteen years of age he and his brother Frank A. commenced farming for themselves, on the farm now owned by Frank A., and the two were partners on the homestead farm for nine years. In 1895 he came to his present farm at Five Points. For nearly one hundred years this farm belonged to the Fishers. Mr. Deisher purchased it from Mrs. S. A. Butz one year before his removal there. It consists of 133 acres, and in 1908 Mr. Deisher built a new Swiss barn 50x92 feet, and he has made numerous other improvements that have added to the value of the place. His soil is particularly well adapted to the growing of wheat. He pays no little attention to poultry and fine stock. In politics Mr. Deisher is a Democrat, and in religion belongs to Maxatawny Zion's Lutheran Church, in which he was for five years deacon. He is highly respected in the community.

Frank A. Deisher, son of Jacob and Caroline, and a prosperous farmer near Topton, was born on his present farm Jan. 4, 1863. The township schools afforded him his educational advantages, and he was early trained to farming, to which he has so far devoted his time. At the age of twenty-one he began farming the homestead, where he still continues, having 135 acres of the most fertile land in the county, all under a good cultivation. He has seven head of horses and twenty-eight of cattle, and has all the latest improved farm machinery. In politics he is a Democrat, and for six years served as school director. In December, 1892, Mr. Deisher married Mary Guldin, daughter of Garion and Sarah (Derr) Guldin, of Maxatawny, and their children are: Irene V.; Jacob G.; Frank A.; Homer G.; Beulah M.; Florence M.; Ralph J. and Harold G. Mr. Deisher has been quite successful in all his undertakings, his stock dealing proving particularly remunerative, and he is very popular throughout the township.


DELANEY, GEORGE W.

p. 583

Surnames: DELANEY, HOUCK, KEIM, GOWEN, BAER, ROTHENHAUSLER

George W. Delaney, secretary of the Reading Iron Company, which employs about five thousand men, enjoys the distinction of having been private secretary to three Reading railroad presidents. His ancestors came from France, Germany and Ireland, and his father, Henry Delaney, who was born in New York, became a shoe dealer in Philadelphia, where he died in January, 1904, aged seventy-two years. Henry Delaney married Johanna Houck, daughter of William H. Houck, a manufacturing saddler of Easton, Pa. Six of the ten children born of this union are living, and of these George W. is the eldest.

George W. Delaney was born in Philadelphia Aug. 10, 1860, and after receiving an education in the public schools, entered the Reading Railroad service as a junior clerk, and he remained with that road for fifteen years, having been during that time stenographer and private secretary to George de B. Keim, president of the Reading system. Later he held the same relation to Franklin B. Gowen, who also was president, and a month after the death of the latter, in December, 1889, settled in Reading in a similar position under George F. Baer, the present president of the company, retaining that position until October, 1900, when he became secretary of the Reading Iron Company. Mr. Delaney is also secretary of the Deer Park Land Company, was for three years treasurer of the Berkshire Country Club, and is now a member of the board of directors and secretary of the club, having resigned the treasurership on account of its onerous duties.

Mr. Delaney was married April 14, 1891, to May B. Rothenhausler, daughter of J. N. Rothenhausler, a wholesale dealer in glass and crockery ware in Philadelphia. Three children were born of this union: Katharine and Josephine, both in school; and George, Jr. In politics Mr. Delaney is an ardent Democrat. In his religious faith he is a Presbyterian. His position at various times as private secretary to three great railroad magnates was certainly remarkable, reflecting credit upon his intelligence and ability.


DELLECKER, GEORGE W. S.

p. 1119

Surnames: BEITMAN, BRUNNER, DE LA COUR, DELLECKER, FISHER, GRIESEMER, GRIM, HARNER, KANE, MOCK, RHODES, ROMICH, SANDS, SASSAMAN, SCHOLL, SCHANER, SMITH, WEIANT, WHITTMAN, YERGER, YODER

George W. S. Dellecker, an industrious and useful citizen residing in Colebrookdale Township, Berks County, near the Montgomery County line, was born at Englesville, Feb. 15, 1850.

The Dellecker family is of French origin, the early spelling of the name being De La Cour. Rev. Frederick De La Cour was born in France Feb. 2, 1738, and he died in Falkner Swamp, Montgomery Co., PA, Jan. 15, 1799, and was buried at Swamp Church. He came to America in 1757, and from that time to 1770, he preached at East Amwell, N. J., then went to Rockaway, N. J., and stayed there until 1782. The following two years were spent at Goshenhoppen, Pa., and from there he went to Falkner Swamp. For forty-two years he preached the doctrines of the Reformed Church. In 1900 a memorial window was placed in Swamp Church by his descendants. His wife, Barbara, was born Nov. 18, 1745, and died May 7, 1784.

Frederick Dellecker (De La Cour) son of Rev. Frederick and Barbara, was born Dec. 30, 1776, and he died Feb. 15, 1853. He married Catharine Beitman, and they became the parents of fourteen children, namely: Sarah m. Jacob Yerger; Lucy m. to George Fisher; Sophia, m. to a Mr. Mock; Frederick, who lived and died at Gilbertsville, Pa.; Elizabeth m. to a Griesemer; Hannah, m. to a Scholl; William, who lived and died at Gilbertsville; Henry B., who lived and died in Milwaukee, Wis.; Rebecca m. to William Weiant; George, who lived and died in Muhlenberg Township, Berks County; Samuel B., mentioned below; Catharine, m. to a Whittman; Susan m. to David Schaner; and Polly, m. to a Romich.

Samuel B. Dellecker, son of Frederick, was born Oct. 26, 1814, in Douglass Township, Montgomery County. He was a carpenter by trade all his life, and he died Dec. 28, 1879, at Boyertown. He married Susan Sassaman, born Jan. 16, 1821, in Washington Township, Berks County; she died Oct. 25, 1860, in Colebrookdale Township, and was buried at Boyertown. Four children were born to them namely: Henry S.; Catharine, who died in childhood; Mary, who married Frank Rhodes, of Boyertown; and George W. S.

George W. S. Dellecker attended the common schools, and later Boyertown Academy. In 1871 he was licensed to teach by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner, and taught his first term in Washington Township, teaching in all four terms. He was trained to farm work by his grandfather, Henry Sassaman, near New Berlinville. He learned the trade of painter and grainer, and followed that occupation for about twenty-five years. He also has a thorough understanding of the butchers trade, and followed it during the winter for a number of years, and regularly for two years at Barto. For three years he was engaged in the hotel business. In 1898 he began farming in Douglass Township, and in 1900 he moved to near Englesville, where he owns the thirty-two acre tract formerly known as the Abraham Yoder tract. This he devotes to truck farming, and is meeting with deserved success.

Mr. Dellecker has been twice married. He wedded (first) Andora Smith, daughter of Richard F. Smith, of Barto. She died two years after her marriage. Mr. Dellecker m. (second) Annie Harner, daughter of Samuel Harner, and ten children have blessed this union, as follows: Bertha, m. to Charles Sands; Warren, of Colebrookdale; Susie* m. William Schoch; Alice m. to Edward Grim; Mabel, who died aged sixteen years; Henry, of New Berlinville; Annie, m. to Clinton Kane; and Miss Laura and Walter, at home. Mr. Dellecker is a Republican in politics, and a Lutheran in religion.

TRANSCRIBER'S NOTES: *This is error her name was Suie without the middle "s." Betty Burdan This contributor is the great-grand daughter of the subject of this biography. Please note that there are errors in the biography. Beginning with the suggestion that the name was French when in fact, it was not. According to History of the Goshenhoppen Charge p. 230-234, the name was Delliker or Dalliker with an umlaut over the a. The name later became Dellicker and Dellecker. Rev. Frederick Delliker, was born, according to Zurich records, the son of John Rudolph Delliker, a Swiss painter, who studied art in Paris. The Dellikers became citizens of Zurich in 1376. The Rev. Fred Delliker was ordained in 1757 in Zurich and became German Diakon, or assistant minister in Geneva. In 1760 he became chaplain of a French regiment, and while serving in that capacity, was known by the name Rev. De la Cour, but the origin of the family and the name is Swiss and he was not French.

As all the ministers did in the colonial days of America, the Rev. Fred Delliker served many churches, initiating their first records. Among the churches he served were: 1) Amwell, NJ from shortly after his arrival in PA, in 1767-1768. 2) German Valley Dutch Reformed, Long Valley, NJ, from 1768 to 1782, during the period when the German Valley stone church was erected in partnership with the Zion Lutheran congregation. 3) Alexandria, Fox Hill, and Rockaway, NJ 1767-1782 and briefly supplied these and other New Jersey congregations after moving to Pennsylvania in 1782-1783. 4) New Goshenhoppen, Old Goshenhoppen and Great Swamp 1782-1784. Records at Great Swamp 1781-84 indicate the Rev. Fred served 37 families, had 31 scholars, baptized 12 and confirmed 26. 5) Chestnut Hill Church in Lower Milford from 1782 - 1783 6) Falkner Swamp Reformed Church and Vincent 1784-1799 7) Hill Reformed Church 1786-1789 8) Vincent, Chester County 1785-1799 9) The Old Brick Church, Pottstown 1791-1799.

The Rev. Fred Dellicker was married twice, his first wife Barbara died on May 7, 1784 at age 38 years 3 months and 29 days, a few weeks after the family moved to Falkner Swamp,. On October 12, 1786 Rev. Fred married his second wife, Maria Magdalena Juvenal, a widow. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Casper Weyburg at Falkner Swamp. Children listed in the Montgomery County birth records to Rev. Fred and his second wife include: Elizabeth (b. 8-30-1787 d. 5-17-1788); Peter (b. 6-9-1789); George (b. 4-9-1791; and Samuel (b. 8-26-1793).

There was a daughter, Catharine, who died at age 35, married to a John Thomas on 9-17-1798. The history of Morris County, NJ tells of William Dellicker Sr., son of Rev. Frederick Dellicker, who studied the ministry in his early years, but later went into business at Spring Town, NJ. William Sr. and Sophia (Neighbour) his wife are buried in the church yard adjacent to the ruins of the German Valley Church in NJ. William was the first postmaster of Spring Town, served as Justice of the Peace in Morris Co., NJ; was a State Assemblyman in NJ, and appointed County Judge, Court of Common Pleas, Morris Co., NJ.

These notes are copyrighted by Betty Burdan.


DELLINGER, CHARLES THEODORE

p. 1670

Surnames: DELLINGER, RENTCH, HOFFEDITZ, FAHRNEY, UPDEGRAFF, NOLAN, HEFFNER, ROTH, HOKE

Charles Theodore Dellinger, secretary and treasurer of the Nolan Real Estate and Insurance Agency, Reading, was born July 22, 1878, near Downsville Washington county, Md., son of Andrew Rentch and Susan J. (Hoffeditz) Dellinger, the latter a daughter of the Rev. Theodore C. W. Hoffeditz.

After receiving a common school education Mr. Dellinger entered the employ of T. J. Fahrney as clerk, and after several years became manager of the general store, serving in that capacity until 1899, when the business was sold. Later he was identified with the firm of William Updegraff & Son, in Hagerstown, Md., and continued with that firm until he came to Reading in 1902 to accept a position with Mengel & Mengel, real estate brokers at No. 60 South Sixth street. He continued with this firm until 1907, when he entered the firm of Christ & Dellinger, builders, and erected a handsome row of houses on the west side of North Front street, between Windsor and Spring streets. About the time of their completion he entered the well known firm, Nolan Real Estate & Insurance Agency, purchasing an equal interest with Edward C. Nolan (vice president of the First National Bank of Reading), Mr. Dellinger being secretary and treasurer and Mr. Nolan president.

Mr. Dellinger married a daughter of D. A. Heffner, and resides at No. 916 North Front street. Mr. Dellinger is genial and social, and has many friends.

The Hoffeditz family, to which Mr. Dellinger belongs in maternal lines, is descended from the Rev. Theodore Ludwig Hoffeditz, who was born Dec. 16, 1783, at Stauven, amt Trendelburg, near Carlshafen, on the River Weser, Germany.* Coming to this country at the age of eighteen he taught school for some time in Berks county, and later studied theology with some of the older ministers of the Reformed Church in Philadelphia.

He next went to Northampton county, where he labored among the congregations of his chosen faith, and where in 1813 he married Juliane Roth, who was born Nov. 20, 1795, in Lower Nazareth township, Northampton county, Pa. Both died at Nazareth, he in August, 1858, and she in 1859.

Rev. Theodore C. W. Hoffeditz, eldest son of the Rev. Theodore Ludwig and his wife Juliane, was born in Mt. Bethel township, Northampton county, Nov. 28, 1818, and was graduated from the seminary at Mercersburg in 1840. For about three years he preached in his father's charge, and in 1843 went to Europe as collecting agent for the college. Ill health compelled his retirement from the ministry, and he removed to Mercersburg. He taught for some years, and he died near there Feb. 3, 1859. On Nov. 10, 1842, he married Louisa Hoke, of Mercersburg, born March 18, 1820, died Oct. 16, 1884. Their children were: John Calvin, born Nov. 15, 1843, in Hamilton township, Monroe county; Susan Julia, born Oct. 7, 1845, in Mercersburg; Adam Hoke, born Nov. 17, 1847, near Mercersburg; Charles Theodore, born Sept. 11, 1849, near Mercersburg; Louis William, born Nov. 29, 1851, near Mercersburg; and Albert Augustus Rauch, born Sept. 15, 1854, near Mercersburg ? all now deceased except Adam H. and Albert A. R.

Susan Julia Hoffeditz, daughter of Rev. Theodore C. W., was married Dec. 28, 1875, to Andrew Rentch Dellinger. She died near Downsville, Washington county, Md., Feb. 5, 1894.

* Stauven is actually Stammen and Carlshafen is actually "Bad Karlshafen." It lies just west of the Hartz Mountains, and around the Reinhardswald (Clear Heart Forest).

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:57 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.