Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

BROSSMAN FAMILY

p. 1659

Surnames: BROSSMAN, FRANTZ, LEISS, HETTINGER, WERNER, BICKEL, KNORR, BENDER, STRICKER, ERNEST, BALTHASER, KISSLING, BRUNNER, RICHARDS, KRIEDLER, DECHERT, ERMENTROUT, GRUBER, ALTHOUSE, STOUDT, ADAM, YOHE, BEAR, SCHWARTZ

The Brossman family is one of the oldest in Berks county, dating back to the early part of the eighteenth century. Francis (Frantz) Brossman, a German by birth, so tradition says, was one of the Schoharie county, N. Y., settlers, who came to Berks county between 1723 and 1728. When Berks county was organized in 1752, he was an inhabitant of Heidelberg township. The following year, 1753, he paid eighteen pounds tax, and in 1754 he paid twenty-two pounds tax. This shows him to have been a large landowner. His remains are undoubtedly buried at St. Daniel's Church, which was the spiritual home of all those early pioneers.

John Adam Brossman, son of Francis, died upon his farm in Lower Heidelberg township at the age of sixty-seven years, and is buried at St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, of which he was an official member. He was a Lutheran in religious faith. His occupation was farming, and he owned a large tract of land. The old Brossman homestead is now embraced in Lower Heidelberg township, and while the original tract has been divided, it is now owned by Henry Brossman. In the beginning there were 150 acres in the home farm. John Adam Brossman married Catharine Leiss, and their children were: (1) John L., born in 1804, on the homestead, died there in 1887, after a life devoted to farming and milling. He married Catharine Hettinger, whose father was a native of Germany, and a farmer of Lower Heidelberg township. They had ten children: John, Nathan, Reuben, Henry, Mary, Catharine, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Ellen and one that died in infancy. (2) Adam L. (3) Daniel. (4) Eve married Henry Werner, of Lower Heidelberg. (5) Benjamin.

Adam L. Brossman, son of John Adam, was born in 1804 in Heidelberg township, and there passed his entire life dying in 1883. He was a farmer by occupation, the farm previously mentioned having been divided between him and his brother and by industry he made an excellent living for himself and his family. He married (first) Elizabeth Bickel, by whom he had two children, William (buried at Hain's Church) and Priscilla (m. Caton Knorr, and is buried at St. Daniel's Church, Heidelberg.) By his second wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Bender, he had six children, namely: Adam Bender; John B., of Robesonia, m. to Louisa Stricker, who died and is buried at St. Daniel's Church; Thomas J., a farmer in Lower Heidelberg; James B., a builder at Reading; Sarah B., married to Joseph W. Ernest, who died June 6, 1900, and is buried at St. Daniel's Church; and Elmira B., m. to Moses K. Balthaser, Wernersville. Like his family generally Mr. Brossman was a Lutheran. He is buried at St. Daniel's church.

James B. Brossman, son of Adam L., now a prominent builder in Reading, was born in October 1856, in North Heidelberg township. He was educated in the schools of the home neighborhood, and he remained on the farm assisting his father until he was twenty years of age. He then removed to Robesonia, this county, where he lived for about seven years. In 1892 he entered into partnership with his brother Adam in the building business, which they followed until 1903. During his career in Reading Mr. Brossman has been given a generous share of the business in his line and he has put up a number of the most substantial residences which have been erected in the city during that period, his contracts for which have ranged in price from $1,800 to $5,000. He has been constantly widening the scope of his operations, and may justly be classed among the solid business men of his adopted city. In 1876 he married Ellen Kissling, and six children have been born to them, as follows: Calvin, Adam, Paul, Beulah (deceased), Nora and Bertha. Mr. Brossman clings to the traditions of his ancestors, being Lutheran and a Democrat.

Adam Bender Brossman, now living retired in Reading, where he is highly esteemed, was born in North Heidelberg township, Oct. 7, 1845, son of Adam L. and Elizabeth (Bender) Brossman. He was educated in the common schools of Berks county, and attended the Keystone State Normal School and Prof. Brunner's business college, after which he taught school for several years. He was then appointed deputy warden of Berks county prison, serving in that capacity for four years, and was then appointed to the position of warden which he filled for three years. In 1886 he removed to Robesonia, where he lived retired for two years. In 1888 he located in Reading where he was engaged until 1902, building much of the section known as Richton. He was also engaged in other enterprises, being a director in the Schuylkill Valley Bank from its incorporation until 1906, when he retired from that position.

Mr. Brossman was married May 30, 1876, to Ellen R. Richards, daughter of Benjamin and Lovina Richards, and to this union has been born on daughter, Bessie L., who married June 18, 1906, George G. Kriedler, a bookkeeper of reading.

Thomas J. Brossman, a successful farmer in Lower Heidelberg township, was born in North Heidelberg April 2, 1853, son of Adam L., and Elizabeth (Bender) Brossman. He was brought up to farming and for forty-six consecutive years lived upon the homestead farm. During all of this time not being away one week. In the spring of 1899 he came to Lower Heidelberg, and located on the well known Adam Dechert farm-a property which has been in the Dechert family for mare than one hundred years. It consists of 181 acres of good land, all highly cultivated. Mr. Brossman is an excellent farmer, and has ten head of horses, thirty-two cattle, and all the latest improved machinery. He has always meet with success in his vocation. He owns the old homestead in North Heidelberg, which consists of ninety acres, which he purchased in 1885 for $7,000. In spite of his active work in caring for his farm, he has taken an interest in public affairs, and has been a delegate to county conventions, and was one of the delegates when Judge James N. Ermentrout was first nominated for the Bench. In politics he is a Democrat, and for ten years he served in North Heidelberg as a member of the school board, being a director at the time he moved from the township. Since he has lived in Lower Heidelberg he has served that township for six years as a member of the school board, has been treasurer and president, and generally proved himself most efficient, having the good of the schools at hears. He was instrumental in the establishing of the township high school at Wernersville, and in securing the increase in the salary of the teachers from $35 to $50. Mr. Brossman is a member of St. Daniel's church, and is a Lutheran in belief. For three years he held the office of deacon. In 1877 he married Emma Althouse, daughter of Rueben and Matilda (Gruber) Althouse, farming people of Marion township. To this union have been born children as follows; Seven sons and eight daughters: Solomon, a school teacher in Lower Heidelberg, m. to Clara Stoudt; Warren; Gertie, deceased; Charles; Thomas, deceased; Stella; Florence; Esther; Ellan, deceased; Ammon, deceased; Elsie; Frederick; William; Erma; and Marguerite.

Benjamin Brossman, son of John Adam Brossman, was born on the homestead, Aug. 31, 1810, and he died upon his farm in Lower Heidelberg at the ripe old age of eighty-eight years and two days. He was an intelligent citizen, and was frequently called upon to serve his fellow citizens in positions of honor and trust. He served as school director, supervisor, and frequently was a delegate to county conventions. He was captain in the State militia, a military organization of his day, and the sword he wore is now in the possession of his youngest son, Hillorius. Mr. Brossman was an exceedingly versatile man, his ability as a mechanic making him an expert cabinet maker, carpenter, cooper and blacksmith, and he understood tree grafting as few men did. He successfully grafted shellbarks, chestnuts, and all kinds of fruits, also budded peach trees. He made a number of musical instruments, including a piano, which his son Isaac W. now possesses, and he repaired musical instruments. In 1872 he erected the present house upon his farm. This reflects the skill of his workmanship, as all the doors, wainscoting, etc., were made by hand. In this house there may also be seen a bureau, beds, and an old fashioned grandfather's clock which he made in 1876. He and his family were members of St. Daniel's church, and the family lot is in the cemetery connected with this church. He married Catharine Werner, born April 15, 1815, daughter of Adam Werner, and she died Oct. 20, 1880. Their children were; Richard, deceased; Benjamin, of Reading; Emma, who married Henry Stout, and moved to Michigan, where she died; Isaac W. Adam, a truck farmer in Lower Heidelberg; George, of Reading; Amelia, of Reading; Katie, who married Henry Yohe, of Reading; Levi, of Reading and Hillorius.

Isaac W. Brossman, son of Benjamin, was born on his father's farm in Lower Heidelberg township on Oct. 22, 1842. His early education was obtained in the public schools of his district, and later he attended to Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, Pa. While a student in the latter institution he was on of the organizers of the now famous Philomathean Literary Society in 1862 -- a society dear to the hearts of thousands of alumni, and to this day a leading factor in the school's success. Mr. Brossman was its first secretary, and Dr. Samuel A. Bear, Ph. D. was its first president. Mr. Brossman was first licensed to teach county superintendent. He never had an English book in his hands until he was thirteen years of age, yet he commenced teaching when he was twenty-one, teaching in the public schools nine terms, four consecutive terms being at Lincoln, in Lancaster county, and he met with success wherever he was located. He was a Lutheran, to which faith his family adhere, attending St. Daniel's (Corner) Church. Mr. Brossman was an intelligent and useful citizen, progressive in his ideas, and public-spirited in his work for the advancement of his town and the cause of education. On Nov. 1, 1888, he was united in marriage with Emma Schwartz, born May 22, 1861, in Exeter township, daughter of John Schwartz and granddaughter of Major John Schwartz (1793-1860). (The last named gentleman was elected a congressman in 1858 from Berks county as an independent Democrat.) To Mr. and Mrs. Brossman were born six children, namely: Edith Elizabeth, Ruth Emma, Mable Eve, Esther Louisa, Paul Isaac and Martha Catharine.


BROSSMAN, GEORGE W.

p. 1149

Surnames: BROSSMAN, HENDEL, RICHARDS, WEIBEL

George W. Brossman, a gardener at Reading residing at No. 533 Gordon street, was born in Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, Aug. 23, 1856, son of Benjamin Brossman. He was reared on his father's farm, where he lived until he was twenty-three years of age. He then went to Montgomery county, where he worked on a farm at Yerkes, also called Collegeville, for a period of four years. In 1877 he came to Reading, and for a number of years engaged in huckstering, being a very successful produce dealer. For two years he followed the carpenter's trade, and built four houses on Gordon street and one on Tulpehocken, and he owns considerable real estate. Since 1904 he has been in the employ of Charles W. Hendel, hat manufacturer, as gardener.

Mr. Brossman served as a policeman under the administration of Mayor Weibel. In his political faith he is a Democrat. He and his family attended St. Daniel's Lutheran Church near Robesonia. His fraternal connections are with the Knights of Friendship, No. 28, Reading; Reading Consultory, No. 3, K. C. O. K. of F.; and the Foresters of America.

On Feb. 4, 1892, Mr. Brossman married Ellen R. Richards, daughter of Adam Richards of Bernville, and they have two children, Ella R., and George A.


BROSSMAN, LEVI A.

p. 1444

Surnames: BROSSMAN, BRUNNER, BAER, DENGLER, GAUL, SPANGLER, BREINER

Levi A. Brossman, employed at the outer depot in the baggage department of the Reading Railway, has been a resident of Reading since 1886, and has occupied his present home, No. 517 Gordon street, Reading, since 1893. He was born in Lower Heidelberg township Oct. 14, 1855, and was brought up on his father's farm, where he continued until he was twenty-eight years of age. He was educated in the township schools and at Prof. D. B. Brunner's Academy, Reading, and was licensed to teach in the public schools of Berks county by Prof. S. A. Baer. He taught his first school at Wernersville, in the Frey school. He then taught one term at Brownsville, in Lower Heidelberg township. In 1881 Mr. Brossman moved to Breiner's farm on the pike above Wernersville, where he lived one year, and then moved farther down to Levi Gaul's farm, where he lived two years. In 1884 he moved to the Blue Marsh where he conducted an eighteen-acre truck farm for two years. In 1886 he came to Reading, and he is now employed, as above stated, at the outer depot in the baggage department of Reading railway. He is a member of Washington Camp, No. 560, P. O. S. of A. He is a member of St. Daniel's Church near Robesonia.

Mr. Brossman married Mary Dengler daughter of John and Rebecca (Spangler) Dengler, and granddaughter of John Spangler, of Strausstown. They have had five children, of whom two, Ross Calvin and Winebert M. died in childhood. The survivors are: Jennie, Lem and Ralph. They are highly respected.


BROUGHALL, WILLIAM

p. 1408

Surnames: BROUGHALL, ADAMS, TEMPLIN, EDMUNDS, SHEAFFER

William Broughall, who since 1890 has been living retired in Reading, was for many years a coal operator in various sections of Pennsylvania, and is an honored survivor of the Civil war, was born Feb. 29, 1836, in Lancashire, England, son of Thomas and Mary (Adams) Broughall, both of whom died in the old country.

William Broughall left his native country when sixteen yeas of age, making the trip to America in the ship "Edinburg," and landed at Castle Garden, N. Y., from whence he went to Columbiana, Ohio, and remained there for a short time. He then located in Minersville, Pa., and worked in the coal mines, for some time, then going to St. Clair, from which place he enlisted in 1861 in Company H, 129th Pa. V. I. for nine months, after which he enlisted in the State Militia becoming second lieutenant. After receiving his honorable discharge Mr. Broughall returned to St. Clair, where he remained several years, then went to Tuscarora and later to Mahanoy City, working at Lanigan's Patch. He was superintendent of the Reading Company's miners in the Ellengowan district for thirty years and in all was engaged in the business for about forty years. Since 1896 Mr. Broughall has lived in Reading, retired. He is a member of Keim's Post, G. A. R., of Mahanoy City Lodge No. 357, F. & A. M.; Mahanoy City, Chapter, Ashland Commandery and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., being also connected with the Knights of Pythias.

On Dec. 9, 1864, Mr. Broughall married Gueny Templin, and to them were born two children: Thomas J. and G. Elizabeth (who married William Edmunds). Mr. and Mrs. Broughall are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

During the Molly Maquire troubles Mr. Broughall had many exciting experiences, and at one time his life was threatened and his house broken into, but he escaped serious injury by being well armed. The Molly Maquires were formed in Ireland in 1843, comprising a secret organization to intimidate bailiffs, or process servers, distraining for rent. The members of the association were young men dressed up in female attire, with their faces blackened. This society was revived in 1877 in the coal regions of Pennsylvania, and the members sought to effect their purpose by intimidation, carried in some cases to murder. Several were arrested, tried and executed.

Thomas J. Broughall, son of William, is located at Wilmington, Del., where he is employed as a bookkeeper. He married Adella Sheaffer, and has two children, John P., and William T. He is past master of Shenandoah Lodge, F. & A. M.


BROWN, AARON

p. 1542

Surnames: BROWN, FISHER, LEBO, KEISER, SHEETS, LEININGER, GASSERT, REHRER, BINGAMAN, FILBERT

Aaron Brown, a general farmer and substantial citizen of Heidelberg township, was born Sept. 18, 1859, on the old Fisher farm in Heidelberg township, a son of John L. and Lovina R. (Fisher) Brown.

The grandparents of Mr. Brown were Martin and Mary (Lebo) Brown and they were born in Marion township, Berks county. Their children were: Catherine m. Michael Keiser; Percival; John L.; Rebecca m. Edward Sheets; George; Caroline m. John Leininger; Samuel L; and Mary m. Augustus Gassert. Martin Brown was buried at Host.

John L. Brown was born July 11, 1821, and died at Robesonia, March 22, 1889, aged sixty-seven years, eight months and eleven days. During all his active years he engaged in farming in Heidelberg township, as had his father before him retiring to Robesonia before his death. His burial was at St. Daniel's Lutheran Church. He married Lovina R. Fisher, born June 24, 1821, a daughter of John L. and Elizabeth (Rehrer) Fisher. This marriage was celebrated Nov. 7, 1846, and they had the following children: Frank J., resides in Newark, N. J., m. Rosa A. Bingaman; Mary E., unmarried, residing with her brother Aaron R.; and Ellen F., unmarried; Erasmus; Emma m. Thomas Filbert, a well-known merchant of Robesonia; Aaron R.; and William H., the driver on Rural Free Delivery Route No. 1, Robesonia.

In his boyhood Mr. Brown attended the township schools for a time, but he was a small boy when he started to work in the mines. Later he worked for his uncle, Samuel L. Brown and remained on his farm for several years. In 1881 he purchased a part of the old John L. Fisher farm in Heidelberg township, near Robesonia, and now owns forty acres of as good land as there is in the township. He has put it under a fine state of cultivation and has made a success of farming. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a man of high standing in the community. For many years he has been a member of St. Daniel's Corner Church. Mr. Brown has never married.


BROWN, ADAM

p. 1252

Surnames: BROWN, KEENY, BESHORE, SMITH, BELLEMAN, BUBB, SHEIDY, KLINE, PORTER, FIDLER, FRANTZ

Adam K. Brown, one of the prosperous agriculturists of Berks county, Pa., who is also engaged in horse dealing, owns and operates the old Brown homestead farm in Bethel township. Mr. Brown was born Jan. 14, 1852, near Rehrersburg, Tulpehocken township, son of Jacob and Kate (Keeny) Brown.

Philip Brown, the great-grandfather of Adam K., resided at Stouchsburg, where he conducted a farm, and where he died at an advanced age, probably about eighty years. His son also named Philip, was born near Stouchsburg, but early in life located in Bethel township, where he conducted the old homestead for many years. He married a daughter of Michael Beshore, and to them were born eight children: Kate, m. John Smith; Elizabeth, m. Simon Bellman; Sarah m. Jacob Bubb; Daniel; David; Philip; Jacob and John, all of these children dying at an advanced age, except Mrs. Belleman, who still survives.

Jacob Brown, father of Adam K., was born on the old homestead near Meckville, and was a farmer and horse dealer all of his life. He married Miss Kate Keeny, and to them were born children as follows: Adam K.; John H., unmarried who resides in Lancaster county; Belle, who married William Sheidy, has six children; Jacob M., who is married, resides on his farm in Salina, Kans., and has four children.

When he was three months old, Adam K. Brown's parents removed to Bethel township, and located on the present farm, where young Brown was reared, his education being obtained in the public schools. He assisted his father in the farm work, and also followed horse dealing until twenty-one years of age, at which time he embarked in agricultural pursuits on his own account, but later engaged also in the cattle business, in which he has continued to the present.

On Sept. 24, 1872, Mr. Brown was married to Leah Beshore, daughter of Michael Beshore, and to this union there were born children as follows: Clara, m. Stephen Porter, resides near Womelsdorf, and has three boys; Jonathan is married and lives near Wintersville, Berks county; Lillie, m. Jacob Brown, son of John Brown, resides in Bethel township and has four children; Harvey, m. to the daughter of Isaac Fidler, lives near Meckville; Sallie m. George Frantz, and has a family of three children; Belle, twin of Sallie, m. Joseph Frantz and resides at Freystown, having three children; Morris died young; and Calvin, m. to Benjamin Beshore's daughter resides near Meckville and has four children. Adam K. Brown's second wife was also a Leah Beshore, daughter of Jonathan Beshore, who bore him one child, Frank Adam, who is single and resides at home.


BROWN, AUGUSTUS M.

p. 401

Surnames: BROWN, MAST, MAUL, SMITH, HOPPEL, BEHM, EACHES

Augustus M. Brown, cashier of the First National Bank of Mohnton, and one of the well-known and highly respected citizens of Shillington, was born May 17, 1863, at McKeansburg, Schuylkill Co., Pa., son of George and Catherine (Mast) Brown.

John Brown, his grandfather, was born in Rockland township, Berks county, where he followed the occupation of a farmer and tailor, later moving to Schuylkill county and purchasing a farm, on which he died at the age of fifty-nine years. His wife's maiden name was Maul. They had three children: Ephraim, who died in Schuylkill county; George; and Charles, who died at Pottsville.

George Brown was born in Rockland township, Berks county, and accompanied his father to Schuylkill county, where he engaged in the lumber business, furnishing mining timber. He also followed farming in Brunswick township, that county, but in 1871 he located in Amity township, Berks county, where until his death he engaged in the milling business. Mr. Brown married Catherine Mast, daughter of John and Mary (Smith) Mast, and they had these children: Charles; George; Frank; Hannah, who married Irving Hoppel and resides in Reading; Augustus M., and Howard.

Augustus M. Brown attended the public schools of his native district, also spending three sessions at Muhlenberg College, after which he entered the service of the Penn National Bank, at Reading, as a messenger. Faithful service and marked ability earned him promotion from time to time, and he continued with this well know banking house for a period of twenty-three years. He was on e of the organizers of the First National Bank at Bernville, Oct. 15, 1907, situated on Main street, on the bank's own property, a tract of 120 X 250 feet. He became its cashier, and held that position until March 1, 1909, when he resigned to become cashier of the First National Bank of Mohnton, and he now resides at Shillington. Mr. Brown is a self-made man and is recognized as one of the ablest of Berks county's bankers. In politics he is a Republican, and he is connected socially with Reading Lodge. No. 549, F. & A. M., and the Royal Arcanum. He a member of Friedens Lutheran Church, where he has served as a deacon and a teacher in the Sunday school.

Mr. Brown was married to Anna M. Eaches, daughter of Huysinga and Emily (Behm) Eaches, and they have had two children, Emily M. and George A.


BROWN, CHARLES C.

p. 1520

Surnames: BROWN, CHRISTMAN, BUSH, BRANDT, GEORGE, HOCH, RAUENZAHN, BREIL, YODER, LEVAN, OHNMACHT, KELLER, BUSKIRK, WEIDNER, ROTHERMEL, SPRACHER, BRIGHT, REIDER, RICKENBACH, HAAS

Charles C. Brown, of Reading, was born Feb. 25, 1843, near Kutztown, Berks county, Pa., son of Daniel and Mary (Christman) Brown.

The progenitor of this old and honored Berks county family was Jacob Brown, who in 1759 was a taxable of Ruscombmanor township. He has numerous descendants, consequently so many bear the same family name, that the tracing of the genealogy is very difficult and the authenticity doubtful.

George Brown, a grandson of Jacob the ancestor, has a son Daniel (1806-1884), who was born near Pricetown, where at an early age he learned the tailoring trade, which he followed all of his active life. He married Anna Bush, and they had the following six children: Levi, born at Pricetown in 1830, died at Lobachsville in 1872, was a merchant, m. Mary Brandt, and had four children, Seth A., George, Howard and Mary, the latter of who died young; Amelia , deceased, m. Augustus Hoch; Catherine m. Daniel Rauenzahn; Sallie, deceased, m. Abraham Breil; Caroline m. Jacob Rauenzahn; and Edwin T., born Sept. 1, 1848, a successful box manufacturer of Reading, m. in 1868 Esther A. Yoder, and they have had ten children, six of whom are living, as follows: W. Warren, Charles O., Edwin, Lillie, Hettie and Daniel, the last named a graduate of the Reading high school and an architect. Daniel Brown, above named, made his will Feb. 10, 1882, and it was probated Dec. 23, 1884, the witnesses being Daniel Brown and Daniel Buskirk, and the executor Edwin T., his son and Daniel Rauenzahn, his son-in-law.

There was another Daniel Brown, also of Ruscombmanor township, who made his will July 10, 1868, and it was probated March 24, 1874, his son David obtaining the eighty-acre farm in Ruscombmanor township which was bounded by the lands of Charles Levan, S. B. Ohnmacht, John Keller and Daniel Buskirk. The children mentioned in the will were: Jacob; David; Elizabeth; Catherine; Sarah; Maria; Lydia; Hannah; and Daniel, deceased, who left children who were provided for in the will.

Daniel Brown, the grandfather of Charles C., was the owner and operator of a large farm at Pricetown. His wife was Hannah, a daughter of Jacob and granddaughter of Tychicus Weidner, of Oley township. Mrs. Daniel Brown lived to the remarkable age of ninety-eight years, and was the mother of six children: Jacob, who had no issue; David, who had eight children; Daniel; Mrs. Haas; Mrs. Gideon Rauenzahn; and Mrs. Rothermel.

Daniel Brown, the father of Charles C., was born at Pricetown, Berks county, about 1809, and died on his farm in abut 1867, having been a lifelong resident of Pricetown, where he was a farmer and wheelwright. He was the owner of two small farms, one of which he cultivated, and was a highly esteemed resident of his community. Mr. Brown was married to Mary Christman, who was born about 1807, and died about 1877, daughter of Michael Christman. Mr. and Mrs. Brown had these children: Lovina; David; Amos; Edwin; James; Daniel; Franklin; Charles C. and Hannah.

Charles C. Brown was educated in the local schools, and in his youth learned the milling business, which he followed for many years. In the spring of 1863, he enlisted at Lancaster, Pa., in Company A, 47th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served for 100 days, being mustered out at Harrisburg, in July, 1863. He again enlisted in Company G, 195th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Captain Philip Spracher, and served four months, being mustered out again at Harrisburg. He served in a number of skirmishes and minor engagements, and was in active engagement at Monocacy Junction, and throughout his service proved a brave and faithful soldier.

After returning from the war, Mr. Brown became a photographer at Mauch Chunk, Carbon county, Pa. and for about three years was a traveling photographer, after which he located at Birdsboro, where for nine years he carted iron, and later had charge of a furnace for four years, and since 1903 he has been in the employ of the hardware firm of Bright & Company, being in the shipping department. He resides in his own home at No. 616 Washington street. Mr. Brown is a member of the Carpenter Steel Beneficial Association. With his family he attends the First Reformed Church.

On Jan. 1, 1870, Mr. Brown was married to Rebecca Reider, who died in 1908. She was daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ohnmacht) Reider, and to this union there were born eight children: Howard A., a resident of San Francisco, Cal.; George C., of Reading; Elizabeth O., m. to George B. Rickenbach; Laura; Mary R., who died aged twenty-three years; Edward R., of Reading; and Eva E. and Carrie M.


BROWN, DANIEL F.

p. 1557

Surnames: BROWN, FRICKER, REHR, HOCKER, KAIER

Daniel F. Brown was born in Reading Nov. 29, 1879, and is a son of Edwin and Esther (Yoder) Brown.

Daniel brown, grandfather of Daniel F., was an early resident and well-known tailor at Pricetown, and was a member of the Brown family of Rockland township. He died in 1884, aged eighty-two years. Of his eight children, two are living, Edwin and Mrs. Jacob Rauenzahn, of No. 632 North Tenth street, Reading.

Edwin Brown was employed by the Kaier Company serving as their representative in Reading, selling liquors. He is now serving as an inspector, to which office he was appointed by the water board of Reading.

Daniel F. Brown received his earlier education in the public schools of his native city, and completed the high school course, graduating with the class of 1898. He than entered the University of Pennsylvania, taking up architectural work, and was graduated from that institution in 1903, standing at the head of his class. Mr. Brown has marked natural aptitude for his profession, and with his fine preparation is admirably equipped for the career he has chosen. On leaving the university he returned to Reading and opened an office, where he has been very successful from the start. He has done a considerable amount of work for the well known firm of Rehr & Fricker, as well as for several other large contractors. He built the high school at Myerstown, and the Fairview Chapel at Boyertown, and he designed the Doerrheim apartment building at Fifth and Chestnut streets, Reading. His office is located at No. 50 North Eleventh street. Mr. Brown has considerable artistic talent, and has won quite a reputation by his skill in pen and ink work.

In 1902, Mr. Brown married Miss Mae B. Hocker, and one child has been born to them, Clarence Walter. Both Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of St. Luke's Lutheran Church. They have many warm friends and are popular socially.


BROWN, DAVID

p. 1239

Surnames: BROWN, WICKLEIN, QUINTER, SCHAEFFER, ULRICK, BECKER, BECHTEL, DIEFFENDERFER, HELMS, KOCH, ESTERLY

David Brown, a prosperous truck farmer of Robeson township, who is operating twenty-three acres of fertile land near Gibraltar, was born in 1850, in Robeson township, Berks county, son of David and Eleanora (Wicklein) Brown.

David Brown, Sr., was born in Cumru township, and at the age of twelve years, after the death of his father, he learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed in connection with farming all of his life. He located in Robeson township, where his death occurred in 1888, at the age of eighty-two years, three months. His wife like her husband was a member of the Lutheran Church. They had children as follows: Lydia A., m. Ephraim Quinter; Mary m. Mahlon Schaeffer; Hannah M. John Quinter; William m. Catherine Ulrick; Daniel m. Annie Becker; Margaret m. Reuben Wicklein; Sarah m. George Bechtel; and David.

David Brown received his education in the schools of Robeson township, since leaving which he has followed farming and trucking all of his life, now owning twenty-three acres of bottom land, which is well adapted to truck farming. He is energetic and enterprising and has one of the best properties, for its size, in the community. Mr. Brown was married to Anna Ulrick, who died in October 1905, aged forty-nine years. She was the mother of eleven children, as follows; Freddie, deceased; Eva, m. Edward Dieffenderfer; David, m. Sallie Helms; Charles, deceased; Daniel m. Anna Koch; Warren deceased; Edgar, single; Mahlon m. Nellie Esterly; Percival; Margaret, and Perley. In religious belief Mr. Brown is a Lutheran. Politically he is a Democrat, and his fraternal affiliations are with the P. O. S. of A. and the I. O. R. M.


BROWN, FRANK M.

p. 1715

Surnames: BROWN, MAUL, MAST, GRIESEMER, DeTURK, HOCH, GEIGER

Frank M. Brown, proprietor of the Monocacy Valley Mills in Amity township, Berks county, and a representative citizen of that locality, was born in East Brunswick township, Schuylkill Co., Pa., July 3, 1858.

Michael Brown, great-grandfather of Frank M., came from the Old World, and settled in Oley township, Berks county, in that section now embraced in Pike township. Among his children were: Jacob, who had no issue; John, mentioned below; Daniel who, it is believed, settled in Maxatawny township, Berks county; and two daughters whose names are not known.

John Brown, son of Michael, was born in Pike township and later lived in Rockland township, where he owned a farm. This he sold, and bought one near Lobachsville, from which place he moved to Schuylkill county, where he died at the home of his son George during the fifties, aged about fifty-eight years. His wife survived him about six years, and both are buried at McKeansburg, Schuylkill county. John Brown was a tailor by trade, and worked at that calling in connection with farming. His wife, in her maidenhood, was Catharine Maul, daughter of George Maul, a native of Germany. They had four sons: (1) Ephraim was a laborer and butcher and lived at McKeansburg. He was twice married. By his first wife his children were: John, Jacob, Daniel, Katie and Amanda. By his second: James and Joseph. (2) George. (3) Charles lived in Pottsville, where his two sons, C. Theodore and William, and their four sisters now live. (4) John died young.

George Brown, son of John and Catharine (Maul), was born in Rockland township, near Pikesville, Aug. 30, 1825, and died Sept. 14, 1893. He grew to manhood in Pike township, and in 1847 went to Schuylkill county, where he lived twenty-four years. He carried on a farm of about 100 acres and dealt extensively in wood, and lumber, and in the buying and selling of land. On Feb. 29, 1848, he married Catherine (Mast), daughter of Johann Adam Mast and his wife Anna Maria, of Rockland township, Berks county, but both natives of Germany where they were married. All their children, however, were born in America. Mrs. Brown was born March 27, 1826, and now makes her home with her son Frank M. Mr. and Mrs. Brown were members of the Lutheran Church, and are buried at Amityville. They were the parents of thirteen children: William, born Oct. 9, 1848; Charles, Jan. 28, 1850; Edwin, Oct. 29, 1851; Henry, Sept. 10, 1853; George, July 18, 1855; Sarah Elizabeth, Jan. 8, 1857; Frank M., July 3, 1858; Hannah L., Aug. 1, 1860; Augustus M., May 17, 1863; Catharine, May 13, 1865; Howard, Feb. 3, 1868; and twins, deceased in infancy.

Frank M. Brown received his education in his native township, and in 1871 accompanied his parents to Amity township, Berks county, where his father bought the Samuel Griesemer Mill on Monocacy creek. The present mill building was erected in 1843 by Abraham Griesemer, father of Samuel. Mr. George Brown conducted the mill successfully until 1889 when he retired and was succeeded by his son, Frank M., who has met with a constantly increasing trade. In 1899 he added the roller process, and the mill has a capacity of one barrel per hour. The product is disposed of in the neighboring district. There are eighty-five acres in connection with the mill, and Mr. Brown has brought this to a high state of cultivation. In addition to his mill and farm, Mr. Brown is a director and treasurer of the. Conestoga Telephone & Telegraph Company, capitalized at $40,000. He is found keenly interested in any enterprise that has for its end and aim the development and progress of the town or county.

In politics Mr. Brown is a Republican, but he has no ambition for office holding. For three years he served as supervisor under protest, and positively refused to accept a renomination. He and his family are Lutherans. Fraternally he is a Mason, and he is very highly respected throughout his community.

In 1882, Mr. Brown married Alice DeTurk, daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Hoch) DeTurk, of Exeter township. Six children have been born of this union, namely: Elsie, m. to Wayne Geiger, of Amity township; Susie; Emmett; B. Clay; George; and Morris.


BROWN, JOHN M.

p. 1516

Surnames: BROWN, MOUNTZ, GETZ, KUNTZ, GARBER, GRIFFITH, SEIDEL, HAAS, PHILLIPS, BODDER, YEICH, WEININGS

John M. Brown (deceased,) for many years a prominent farmer of Robeson township, Berks Co., Pa., was born in Lebanon county, near Millbach, son of Philip Brown, and grandson of Philip Brown, the emigrant ancestor of this branch of the Brown family in America.

Philip Brown came from Germany to the United States, and, settling in Lebanon county, engaged in agricultural pursuits, an occupation which he followed for the remainder of his life, accumulating much property and becoming quite prominent. He was the father of a large family, among whom was Philip, the father of John M. This Philip Brown married a Miss Mountz, of Lebanon county, and to them were born these children: Daniel, Peter, David, John M., Mrs. Eva Getz, Mrs. Lydia Kuntz, Mrs. Elizabeth Garber and Mrs. Kate Griffith. Mr. Brown at one time owned the land now occupied by the Berks county Alms House where he carried on farming and conducted a distillery.

John M. Brown was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and was reared on his father's farm, which he was compelled to leave on account of his father losing his property as a result of the dishonesty of others whose notes he had indorsed. Young Brown secured employment driving a team for Jonathan Seidel, and he remained in that gentleman's family for several years. He later engaged in farming on his own account, on a property known as the "Gaul," situated near Gibraltar, and also owned the Seidel property adjoining, which, at the time of his death he divided among his two daughters.

Mr. Brown married Miss Margaret Haas, daughter of George Haas, a native of Robeson township, and a member of a highly esteemed Berks county family. George Haas was a wheelwright by trade, and during the days of heavy staging between Philadelphia and Pittsburg manufactured many of the heavy wagons for freighting. He was an expert mechanic and samples of his work are still to be found in this locality. He married Eve Phillips, a native of Chester county, of Welsh ancestry, and to them the following children were born: Samuel, John, Ann, Ruth and Margaret. In religious belief they were members of the Lutheran Church.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. John M. Brown were: Ruth, who died in infancy; Mary, Mrs. Bodder, who had one child, Maggie, who married S. A. Yeich; and Maggie, who married H. H. Weinings. The Brown family are members of the Lutheran Church.


BROWN FAMILY

p. 1425

Surnames: BROWN, EISENHAUR, ROTHERMEL, HAAS, HIESTER, WAHL, BUSCH, WEBSTER, SPANG, LEVAN, HOCH, MERKEL

The Brown family, now represented at Pricetown by George Webster Brown, is descended from Jacob Brown, who in 1759 was already a taxable of Ruscombmanor township. Jacob Brown is said to have had a large family some of his sons locating in different localities. One of his sons, George, remained about Pricetown where he died and is buried. The inscription on his tombstone in the cemetery of the Pricetown Church, standing only a few feet from the northeast corner of the church, bears the following: "GEORGE BRAUN DEC. 14, 1764 MCH. 9, 1845 80-2-25 WIFE CATHERINE nee EISENHAUR APR. 11, 1781 JULY 1, 1843 62-2-20."

Nearly all the Browns now living about Pricetown are descended from this pioneer. The names John, Daniel and David are common family names, and nearly every family had at least one of these names given to someone of its members, thus making it difficult accurately to trace the family genealogy. One Daniel Brown, born Sept. 20, 1785, died March 18, 1874. He always lived about Pricetown. His wife Hannah (1786-1867) bore him children as follows; Jacob (1811-1893); David; Lydia (m. Jeremiah Rothermel); Catherine (m. John Haas); and Mrs. Hiester. David Brown (son of Daniel), born 1826, died 1904, was a farmer and lived near Pricetown; his wife Susanna Wahl (1822-1896), bore him these children: Solomon, Jacob, David, Daniel, Harrison, Frank, Emma, and Mary.

Another Daniel Brown, who always lived about Pricetown where he died and was buried, was born July 23, 1803, died Dec. 8, 1881; his wife was Julian Busch (1806-1879).

Johannes Brown, Sr., grandfather of G. Webster, was born in Ruscombmanor township, April 28, 1801, and died Jan. 25, 1871, and is buried at the Evangelical Church, of which he was a member. He was a laborer. He married (first) Rebecca Busch, born April 26, 1801, died Nov. 30, 1850. His second wife was Susanna Spang who survived him some years. No children were born of the second marriage, but by his first wife he had: Amos, Elijah, Augustus, Benneville, James, Daniel, John, George, and Mary (who remained unmarried at Allentown).

John Brown, son of John, Sr., and father of George Webster, was born in Pricetown in 1837, and died in March 1900. He was a shoemaker in early life, but later became a farmer and lived at Pricetown, where he owned a seventy-acre farm. He was a school-director and was delegate to some of the county conventions. He married Amelia Levan, daughter of Charles Levan, of Pricetown. She died in 190, aged seventy-one years. Their children were: Rassels, who died small; Eve, who died aged twenty-three years, unmarried; Wellington, who died aged ten years; and George Webster.

George Webster Brown, of Pricetown, Pa., was born in Ruscombmanor township, Nov. 16, 1869, son of John and Amelia (Levan) Brown. He was educated in the township schools, which he attended until he was nineteen years old, and was reared to farm life. He began farming in the spring of 1893, on his father's farm, and has so continued, cultivating a tract of seventy acres. He lays stress upon dairying and has a fine herd of Jersey cattle. It is said that he has the best dairy in his district. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been a school director. At the present time he is the treasurer of the Pricetown Telephone Company. Mr. Brown and his family are Reformed members of St. John's Church at Pricetown.

On July 14, 1892, Mr. Brown married Ida I. Hoch, daughter of Rudolph and Catherine (Merkel) Hoch, of Richmond township. They have had three children; Helen, who died aged two years; Nevin L., and Eva C.


BROWN, LEVI

p. 1357

Surnames: BROWN, KELLER, LUTZ, FRITZ, WENPELT, CRAMP, DETEMPLE, QUINTER, EAMES

Levi Brown (deceased), whose death occurred Feb. 24, 1894 in Gibraltar, PA., was for many years a leading hotel man of Berks county, where he was also engaged in blacksmithing and farming. He was born Oct. 17, 1835, in Robeson township.

Mr. Brown was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and learned the blacksmith trade when a young man, an occupation which he followed for many years, later engaging in farming. After seven years spent in agricultural pursuits, Mr. Brown engaged in the hotel business at the Junction Hotel stand, where he remained eight years, and then sold out to move to Gibraltar, where he built a hotel in 1875. This he operated until his death in 1894, becoming well known for his honesty and integrity in all business transactions, and esteemed and respected wherever known.

Mr. Brown was married Nov. 8, 1857, by Rev. F. A. M. Keller, a Lutheran minister, to Mary Ann Fritz, born Aug. 2, 1837, in Cumru township, Berks county, daughter of Elias and Anna (Lutz) Fritz, and to this union there were born children as follows: Albert m. Sallie Wenpelt; Mary E. m. Albert Wenpelt; B. Franklin died at the age of two ears; Sarah L. m. Levi Cramp; Annie m. John Cramp; Kate F. is unmarried; Dora m. Peter Detemple; Ella M. is unmarried; Harry m. Emma Quinter; and John m. Lillie Eames. Mr. Brown was a Lutheran in religious belief and was buried at Yocom's Church. He is remembered as a man of much business capacity, and was identified with some of the leading enterprises of Gibraltar, including the coal and lumber yard, which after his death was conducted by his son for some years. In politics he was a stanch Democrat.

Elias Fritz, son of Martin, and father of Mrs. Brown, was a pillar of the Lutheran Church, and donated the ground upon which the church bearing that name now stands, as well as the burying ground. He and his wife had these children: Catherine; Eliza; Alice; John; Jeremiah, who served three month during the Civil war; and Mary Ann.

Mrs. Brown built her present home in Gibraltar in 1895, and here, with her two daughters, she is living quietly, enjoying the sunset of her life surrounded by many friends.


BROWN, MORRIS P.

p. 1444

Surnames: BROWN, PRICE, STEINER, ETRIS, HENNINGER, NEWCOMMET

Morris P. Brown, one of the successful manufacturers in the special line of artificial limbs, in particular the ventilated skeleton limbs, has been in business in Reading since 1904, at No. 412 Schuykill avenue. He was born Feb. 29, 1856, in Hamlin, Lebanon county, son of William and Priscilla (Price) Brown.

William Brown was an extensive shoemaker and manufacturer in Lebanon county in his day, and was prominent in political matters, holding a number of township offices, to which he was elected on the Democratic ticket. He and his wife were Lutherans in their religious belief. They had six children; John; Amanda, married Aaron Steiner, of Jacksonville, Lebanon county; Emma, married William M. Etris; Susan, married John Henninger, of Reading; Elizabeth, married Harry Miller, of Reading, and Morris P. William Brown died in 1899, aged seventy-one years, and his wife the same year, being aged seventy-two.

Morris P. Brown was educated in Lebanon county, and at the age of twelve years started to learn the shoemaker's trade with his father, completing his first pair of custom shoes at the age of thirteen years. He continued this work until 1886, when he turned his attention to railroading, becoming baggage agent at Phoenixville, Pa., continuing in the employ of the company for four years, when he entered the Phoenixville. Machine shops, where he worked for several years. At the end of this time he removed to New York, where he worked in Mark's artificial limb factor for two years, then going to Philadelphia. At this city he continued in the same line for several years, but in 1892 came to Reading to engage in the manufacture of shoes. In 1902 Mr. Brown engaged in selling flour and feed, and continued at that line until 1904, when he began his present business-the manufacture of ventilated skeleton limbs. Mr. Brown is now considered one of the leaders in his line of work, his product comparing favorably with any on the market.

In 1876 Mr. Brown was married to Amanda J. Newcommet, and to this union there have been born six children: Paul N., Miles N., Esther N., Luther N., Harry N., and Hattie N. Mr. Brown is a member of the Foresters of America and the K. O. T. M. Politically he is a Democrat.


BROWN, REUBEN H.

p. 1691

Surnames: BROWN, WILEY, HEMMIG, HERFLICKER, SETTLEMOYER, HUYETT, HECKMAN, COLETON, GUNDY, FRITZ

Reuben H. Brown, who passed the closing years of his life in Birdsboro, free from toil and in the enjoyment of the comforts won by industry and right living was born in Robeson township, Berks county, March 12, 1826, son of Philip and Rebecca (Hemmig) Brown. His death occurred Feb. 18, 1908.

Philip Brown was born in Cumru township, on the farm that is today the County Poor Farm. He passed his entire life in agricultural pursuits, and died in Robeson township in 1854, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. He was a consistent member of the Lutheran church, as was also his wife. He married Rebecca Hemmig, and they became the parents of five children, namely: Elisha; Reuben H.; Mary Ann, who married John Wiley; Benneville; and Levi.

Reuben H. Brown was reared in Robeson township, passing his boyhood and youth after the manner of the farmers' sons of that time attending school in the winter months and assisting in the work on the farm when not in school. He remained at home until he was seventeen years of age and then began to learn the trade of a blacksmith under the capable direction of Elias Fritz, of Cumru township. For this he evinced considerable aptitude, and after thoroughly mastering it he worked at it for some years proving so successful, that he commanded a good patronage and in a few years was able to buy a good farm of fifty acres in Robeson township. He moved there and for forty-four years devoted himself to farming, meeting with success and winning a good competence for his old age. In 1903 he sold his farm and moved to Birdsboro, where he lived retired until his death. He was a man of unfailing industry and of good business judgment, and he ever enjoyed the unbounded respect of all who knew him.

In June 1853, Mr. Brown was married to Miss Elizabeth Herflicker, born in Exeter township in 1833, daughter of Samuel and Polly (Settlemoyer) Herflicker, and she proved a worthy helpmate to her husband. Eight children blessed their home, as follows: Mary Ann, deceased wife of Robert Huyett; Maggie m. Joseph Heckman; John, deceased; Sallie m. William Coleton; Elizabeth m. Joy Gundy; Samuel, of Colorado; Edward of New Jersey; and Gertrude deceased. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Reformed Church, while Mr. Brown was a Lutheran, and had served as deacon in St. John's Church. In politics he was a Republican.


BROWN, WILLIAM H.

p. 1075

Surnames: BROWN, FISHER, KINTZER

William H. Brown, carrier over Rural Free Mail Delivery Route No. 1, Robesonia, is a well-known citizen of Robesonia. He was born Dec. 3, 1861, son of John L., and grandson of Martin Brown.

John L. Brown was born July 11, 1821, in Marion township, and he died at Robesonia, March 22, 1889, aged sixty-seven years, eight months and eleven days. He married Lovina R. Fisher, who was born in 1821, and William H. is the youngest of their seven children.

William H. Brown was educated in the public schools, and he assisted his brother on the farm until he was sixteen years of age. After a short period of additional school attendance he embarked in a mercantile business at Robesonia. In 1904 he accepted his present position, and his duties require him to drive a distance of twenty-five miles each day. He is a reliable citizen in every particular, and has a wide acquaintance and hosts of friends.

In 1887, Mr. Brown was married to Miss Mary Kintzer, and they have one daughter, Naomi. This young lady is a graduate of the West Chester State Normal School, in he class of 1907, and at present is putting her education to practical use, being the popular teacher of what is called the Furnace school near Robesonia. In 1887, Mr. Brown erected his present residence. He is a member of St. Daniel's (Corner) Lutheran Church.


BROWNELL, JOHN GEORGE LIVINGOOD

p. 1716

Surnames: BROWNELL, LIVINGOOD, LONGSDORF, PETREE, SIMMON, HERSHEY, KEISER, MCINTIRE, DIEHL, MAHON, HAMMOND, DEHART, SEAL, JOHNSTON, DeHART

John George Livingood Brownell, who since 1901 has been engaged successfully at Philadelphia as an accountant, was for many years one of the most prominent public men of Reading, Pa. Mr. Brownell is an Ohio man born at Canton, Oct. 27, 1847, son of John Casper and Elizabeth (Livingood) Brownell.

George Brownell, the grandfather of John G. L., was born at Womelsdorf, Pa., in 1789, and was reared to farming pursuits, which he carried on in connection with stock raising in the vicinity of his native place until 1845, at which time he moved to Canton, O., and there his death occurred in 1854. He was married to Eve Longsdorf, daughter of Conrad Longsdorf, of Womelsdorf, Pa., and they had a family of five children, namely: Mary m. Samuel Petree; Sarah m. John Simmons; Rebecca m. Joseph Hershey; Lovina m. Jeremiah Hershey; and John Casper.

John Casper Brownell, father of John G. L., was born at Womelsdorf, Pa., in 1814, and there received his education, after which he entered a large dry-goods establishment at Baltimore, Md. After continuing thus for about ten years, he embarked in the mercantile business at Canton, O., which he successfully carried on for a number of years. For one term he filled the office of County Auditor of Stark county. His death occurred in St. Louis, Mo., in 1892. Mr. Brownell was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. John Livingood, of Womelsdorf, and they had seven children as follows: Ellen m. George Keiser; Maria m. O. McIntire; Emma m. E. P. Diehl; John G. L.; Eva K. m. Z. T. Mahon, and after his decease, David Hammond; and Alice and Anna, who died young.

John George Livingood Brownell received his education in the public schools, after which he acted as an accountant for four years, from 1865 to 1869, in the latter named ear removing to Reading, Pa., at the request of his uncle, Jacob S. Livingood, Esq., in whose law office he remained twelve years as a clerk. The electors of the Seventh ward then elected him as the alderman of that district, and he served in this local office for twenty successive years, being recognized during this time as the most competent official of this class in the city. In 1901 he removed to Philadelphia to serve as accountant, and he has since then been successfully engaged in the settlement of complicated estates and the adjustment of partnership affairs of different firms at their dissolution.

In 1873 Mr. Brownell married Emily Dehart, a daughter of Charles Dehart, of Reading. She died in 1874, and he was married (second) to Mary Ellen Seal, daughter of Lewis and Mary (Johnston) Seal, of Camden, N. J., by whom he had five children: Helen Seal, the eldest graduated from the Girl's High School, at Reading, and taught in public schools there four years. She then accompanied her parents to Philadelphia, where she secured a public school and has been teaching since that time. The other four are George Seal, Frederick Seal, Mary Ella, and Robert, who died in 1905.


BROWNMILLER FAMILY

p. 1704

Surnames: ACKER, BOTZ, BAER, BRAUMILLER BRAUMULLER, BRAUNMILLER, BROWNMILLER, BURNHAUSER, CHRIST, CONRAD, DRY, FAHRINGER, FISHER, FOOSE, FOREMAN, GIESZ, GRANT, HECKMAN, HEISTER, HOFFMAN, IAEGER, KERNS, KLINE, KREISER, LEE, MADIERA, MILLER, MC CLELLAN, MC KINLEY, MERKEL, NOLF, OLDT, PERCY, SCOTT, STEIN, STEINER, STOYER, WARMKESSEL, WEIDMAN, WILLIAMS, WOLEVER, WOLF, YEISER, YENSER, ZACHARIAS, ZIEGLER, ZIMMERMAN

The Brownmiller (or Braunmiller, Braumiller, or Braumuller) family in America had its origin in Johannes Braunmiller, born about 1712, who emigrated to this country with the Palatinate emigrants on the ship "Samuel," Hugh Percy captain, from Rotterdam, landing at Philadelphia Aug. 27, 1739. Tradition says that Johannes settled in New Jersey, where he reared a large family. In New York City there is a noted piano manufacturer who spells his name Braumuller, and in Landau, Germany is a businessman who spells the name Braumuller.

Luttwick Braunmiller (Ludwig Brownmiller), son of the emigrant Johannes, crossed the Upper Delaware river into Pennsylvania, and located in Northampton county before the Revolutionary war. From that place members of the family moved to Hokendauqua, Lehigh county, and later to the vicinity of Lenhartsville, Berks county, and still later to Delaware county, Ohio, where many of the family now reside. Luttwick Brownmiller served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war. In 1781 he was a member of the company of Capt. Frederick Kerns. From this time on the family has been represented in every war in which the country was involved.

Nicholas Brownmiller, M.D., son of Luttwick, lived near Lenhartsville, Berks county, and owned what is now called the Yenser farm. On this farm is a private burial ground, where he and many of the family are interred. He owned a very fine medical library, which after his death was sold at public sale. His children were Moses and Josiah, of Hamburg; and Nicholas, of Pottsville.

Moses had the following children: Aaron, Moses, Charles, and Lizzie; Josiah: John, James F., Charles, Rev. A. W. (a prominent divine of the United Evangelical Church, an able speaker, and pastor of the First Church, Reading since 1907), George, Emma, Nora, and Susan; and Nicholas of Pottsville: Nicholas and Aaron.

Frederick Brownmiller, son of Luttwick, lived in earlier life near Bath, Northampton county, where his son George and perhaps several of his older children were born. From here he moved to Hokendauqua, Lehigh County and in 1814 to Lenhartsville. About 1840 he moved to Delaware, Ohio where he passed the rest of his life and where he and his wife, Barbara Nolf, died and are buried. Their children were: George; Joseph; Daniel; Rueben, of Delaware, Ohio, who lost three sons in the Civil War; Samuel, who died while serving his country in the Civil War, and was buried alongside the Mississippi, in Louisiana; Jeremiah, who moved from Delaware, Ohio to Illinois; Rev. Benneville (or Bennewell), a minister in the Cincinnatti Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church who served churches at different times at Cleveland, Delaware, Columbus and Dayton; Peter, of New Carlisle, Ohio, an uncompromising Democrat, who reared six sons and a daughter. The early members of the family were all Lutherans.

George Brownmiller, eldest son of Frederick, was born near Bath, Northampton county, April 1, 1804, and died in Berks county, Feb. 24, 1896. For ten years he was a school teacher, having charge of schools at Drehersville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, Dunkel's and Bern Churches, Berks County, Pennsylvania. By trade, he was a stone mason, but this he followed for only a few years, when, he became a shoemaker and finally a tombstone cutter, organist, and singing master. In his day, he was regarded as an excellent musician and vocalist, having a full strong voice. He conducted the old time singing schools in upper Berks County and was long the popular organist and chorister (foresinger) at St. Paul's (Smoke) Church, in Windsor Township, and at Dunkel's Church, in Greenwich Township, and for nineteen years at Bern Church, in Bern Township. It was the custom in those days for the organist to be the tombstone cutter. While living in Bern Township, he served for many years as tax collector, and he also held a similar office after he relocated to Oley township. He married Anna Foose, born April 8, 1808, died January 4, 1883, daughter of Elias and Elizabeth (Yeiser) Foose. Their children were: (1) George W., born August 31, 1827, in Greenwich Township, went when sixteen years of age to visit his Uncle Reuben in Delaware County, Ohio, and while there, he enlisted in the 2nd U.S. Cavalry, serving in all, 22 years in the Regular Army. He was with McClellan, Grant, Lee and Scott in the Mexican War and participated in the battles at Tobasco, Vera Cruz, Palo Alto, Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, Cherubusco, Chepultepec, and San Pascual, and was with General Scott when Mexico was captured. He was stationed at Vancouver, Washington, when the war broke out. He was twice wounded in battle. He died in Vancouver at 73 years of age. His wife preceeded him in death by about four years. They had no children. (2) Elizabeth (1831-1835), (3) Lewis (1834-1835), and (4) Leander (1834-1835 twin to Lewis) all died of scarlet fever, and are buried at Dunkel's Church, in Greenwich township. (5) Isabella, born June 26, 1838, at Bern Church, married Anthony Burnhauser, who served in the Civil war and they both died in New York City. They had four sons. (6) Henry H., and (7) Franklin are mentioned below.

Mrs Elizabeth (Yeiser) Foose, the mother of Anna, wife of George Brownmiller, was born in New York, and with three other children came to Berks county. Her father, mother and two children were murdered by the Tuscarora Indians in New York State, while the father was in the field plowing. The four children who escaped were in the woods when the Indians made their murderous attack, and seeing what was happening they fled through the forest to an old sawmill where the oldest buried the three younger ones in a pile of saw-dust and then ran on until the owner of the sawmill appeared. He took all four to a public house, where they were cared for. After coming to Berks county, Elizabeth lived as a servant in the family named Zacharias, near Kissinger's Bridge, in Bern township.

Henry H. Brownmiller, son of George, and now a prominent citizen of Schuylkill county, where he is serving as poor director, was born in Berks county, January 23, 1842. He was but eleven years old when he left home to engage in farm work, for seven years being employed on the Hiester farm in Bern township by Johann Christ. For one year he drove a horse on the tow-path of the Schuylkill canal. In July, 1861, he enlisted in the Union army, becoming a member of Company L, 1st Pa. Cavalry, and served until January, 1863, when he re-enlisted for three more years and served until the last week of July, 1865, when he was discharged from Mt. Pleasant Hospital Washington, D.C. for disability. He had participated in sixteen regular engagements, and was thrice wounded. At the battle of Gettysburg, Companies G and L carried the dispatches from Gettysburg to Frederick City, a distance of twenty miles. Mr. Brownmiller at this time held the rank of sergeant and all the dispatches passed through his hands. He was with General Grant in the Richmond Raid.

Mr. Brownmiller had made a success of teaching before the war. In 1858 he taught his first term at Bloomsburg, a small village in Centre township. His own education was all acquired in the public schools and in Oley Academy. After the war, he taught at Bernville, where he is pleasantly remembered to this day. Dr. Samuel A. Baer, then county superintendent, always declared that Mr. Brownmiller was one of the ablest teachers in the county. In 1878 he went to Schuylkill county, and taught the Orwigsburg high school for four years. In 1881 he was elected principal of the Frackville schools, and there he continued until 1886, when he was elected principal of the Port Carbon schools. He returned to Orwigsburg in 1888, and continued there until 1900. In 1898, while still teaching, he was elected a justice of the peace at Orwigsburg, and this office he still holds. In 1905 he was elected a director of the poor for three years, at the end of which time he was re-elected with a majority of 3500 votes. While teaching at Bernville, he also held the office of revenue assessor of the Sixteenth District of Berks county, having been appointed under General Grant's administration. After filling the office for eighteen months, he resigned. For three and a half years he was postmaster at Frackville, and under President McKinley's first administration was assistant postmaster at Orwigsburg. He holds a teacher's permanent certificate. Mr. Brownmiller is a man of strong personality and dignified bearing. He is an able public speaker, and is in demand at public gatherings, especially those where the veterans of the Civil war assemble. Fraternally he is a member of the American Mechanics, and the P.O.S. of A., having joined the latter in 1868.

In September 1864, Mr. Brownmiller, having secured a furlough for that purpose, was married to Elizabeth Kline, of Bernville. To this union was born an only daughter, Alda Jane, who married John Heckman, a letter-carrier in New York, and died at the age of thirty-five years, leaving no children. Mr. and Mrs. Brownmiller have reared two children, one, Thomas Acker, now living in Philadelphia; and Elsie I. Hoffman, who is married and living at Orwigsburg.

Franklin Brownmiller, youngest son of George, was born Sept. 20, 1843, and died Aug. 15, 1896, at Friedensburg. He was in the employ of Dr. Bertolet, of Oley, for fifteen years, but later in life followed auctioneering. His widow, Mary (Conrad) Brownmiller, now resides at Friedensburg.

Joseph Brownmiller, son of Frederick and Barbara (Nolf), was born Oct. 23, 1807, at Hokendauqua, Lehigh county, Pa., and was educated in the common schools and in his youth learned the shoemaker's trade. He was organist and chorister at Klopp's Church, Lebanon county, Pa., for more than forty years. He died April 7, 1895, aged eighty-seven years, five months and fourteen days. He married Hannah Stein, of Greenwich, Berks county, who died May 1, 1877, aged sixty-four years, six months and twenty-six days. They had ten children: Helena; Maria, m. to Gideon Botz; Esther, m. to Eli Wolever; Amelia, m. to Samuel F. Steiner; Joel; Susanna, m. to Jonathan Miller; Amanda, m. to Isaac K. Wolf; Emma, m. to John H. Kreiser; Ephraim S.; and Thomas Daniel. The family were Lutherans in religious belief.

Rev. Ephraim S. Brownmiller, Ph.D., D.D., a prominent Lutheran clergyman, son of Joseph and Hannah (Stein), was born at Hamlin, Lebanon county, Oct. 5, 1853. On May 28, 1868, he was confirmed a member of the Lutheran church, by the Rev. H. Giesz, at Klopps Church, Lebanon county. He received his early education in both public and private schools. In 1868 he became organist of Christ Church, Stouchsburg, and attended the Stouchsburg Academy until 1870. In the spring of 1870 he entered Palatinate College, Myerstown, and the next fall registered as a student at Swatara Institute, Jonestown. During 1871 and 1872 he taught schools near Mt. Aetna and Wintersville, Berks county. In the spring of the latter year he entered Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa., from which institution he was graduated in 1875. In 1874 he supplied as a student Union Deposit and Sand Hill Lutheran Churches, Dauphin county. In 1875 he was ordained by the Lutheran Synod of East Pennsylvania, at Reading, after which he was called as pastor by the Union Deposit parish, consisting of Union Deposit, Hill, Sandy Hollow, and Wenrich, where he remained for six years. In 1881 he took charge of Ephrata parish, in Lancaster county, consisting of Ephrata, Swamp, Schoeneck, Lincoln, and Reed's, when he united with the Ministerium of Pennsylvania. In 1889 he removed to Reading, as the successor to the late T. T. Iaeger, where he still labors with unbounded success. This parish consists of Oley, Spies's, Shalter's, Kissinger's, Bern, Reed's, and St. Mark's, Reading, Lutheran Churches. He is the founder of St. Mark's Church, organizing it in 1889, which now numbers more than 600 members. Beginning in 1895, the Rev, Dr. Brownmiller pursued a post-graduate course at Lebanon Valley College, Annville, Pa., and other institutions, which resulted in the conferring of the degree of Ph.D. and later that of D.D.

Dr. Brownmiller is a Democrat, and was first appointed to office from the Twelfth ward to fill an unexpired term on the Reading board of education, and was elected in 1903 and re-elected in 1907, still serving efficiently at the present time on the Finance and Building committees. He is broad and liberal minded and is greatly interested in educational affairs, and in all measures that tend toward good and clean government. He is chaplain of the Berks County Prison, which position he has held for the past thirteen years. He is one of the most widely known and eminent divines of Berks county, and is a fluent and able speaker. Dr. Brownmiller is especially strong as an exetegist, and is in constant demand as a public speaker. Several European trips especially fitted him for this work. While pastor at Union Deposit he was married to Minnie Anna Zimmerman, and their children are: Rev. Martin Luther, a graduate of Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa., who was ordained May 22, 1904, and is now his father's assistant; Sadie Florence, m. to Prof. Samuel H. Ziegler, an instructor in the high school for Boys, Reading; Violet Mabel, m. to Richard R. Dry, Buffalo, N. Y.; Mary Alice, a music teacher; Miriam Ruth; Frederick Joseph; Mildred Helen, at home; and Laura May and Charles Howard, deceased.

Daniel Brownmiller, son of Frederick, was born in Northampton county, died at Prospect, Ohio, and was buried there. He was a tailor by trade and lived northeast of Lenhartsville, at Round Top, for some years, and in Albany Township. He owned the first farm of east Lenhartsville on the Klinesville Road. In religious faith, he was a Lutheran. His death occurred while on a visit to his son, Emanuel, at Prospect, Ohio. His wife, whose maiden name was Stoyer, is buried at Dunkel's Church. Their children were: Emanuel, a tailor at Prospect, Ohio; Christina, m. to Joseph Fahringer; Amelia, m. to a Fisher; Joseph S.; Samuel, who died young; Isabella, m. to Benjamin Oldt; and Henry, of Kutztown.

Joseph S Brownmiller, son of Daniel, was born Dec. 9, 1831, in the vicinity of Lenhartsville, and died June 13, 1896. He was a carpenter by trade, but followed different occupations, for a number of years being a stationary engineer at a sawmill in Luzerne county, Pa. For some time he was in the employ of the Schuylkill Navigation Co., and for six years he made dynamite at Nesquehoning, Pa. He died at his home in Shoemakersville, where he had built his own residence, and is buried in the Lutheran cemetery there. He was a Democrat in politics and a Lutheran in religious faith. He was a member of Company B, unassigned regiment, during the Civil war, and was on duty near Washington D.C. Joseph S. Brownmiller was married (first) to Susanna S. Madiera, born Oct. 15, 1829, died Apr. 3, 1887, daughter of Samuel Madiera. Their children were: Charles M.; Leonora, who died in infancy; Sarah Ann, m. to Joel K. Weidman, of Shoemakersville; and John W. of Philadelphia.

Charles M. Brownmiller, son of Joseph S., and a lumber merchant and dealer in tobacco and cigars, at Shoemakersville, was born Nov. 19, 1854, in that place, on the Madiera homestead. He was educated in the common schools and at the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, and was licensed to teach by Dr. S. A. Baer. He taught six terms in Perry township, and in 1879, one term in the Independent School District, at Leighton, Mahaska Co., Iowa. In 1880 he returned to Pennsylvania and again taught in Perry township. He next drove a Philadelphia & Reading station team on the Schuylkill canal for two summers after which he served a three year apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade under Samuel Williams. Going to Pottstown, at the end of that time, he worked there as an iron marker in the Philadelphia Bridge Works for five months. Under John Foreman, master mechanic for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, he began framing bridges, and followed this for several months, when Mr. Foreman took him into his office as chief clerk, until 1885, when he established a lumber business at Shoemakersville, which he still conducts. He was elected president of the Board of Trade of Shoemakersville and still holds the office. In the fall of 1908 he was appointed secretary of the Farmers' Mutual Assistance and Fire Insurance Company, of Berks county, and this responsible position he continues to fill. In politics he is a Democrat, but he never cared for office. He repeatedly refused to be a candidate. He and his family are Lutheran members of the Shoemakersville Union Church.

In 1894 Mr. Brownmiller was married to Anna L. Warmkessel, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Merkel) Warmkessel, of Maxatawny township, and they have three sons and one daughter, namely: Charles Clare, Arlan Joseph, Lorin Thomas and Mary Ann Susanna. Fraternally he is a member of Ontelaunee Tribe No. 312, I. O. R. M., Hamburg; Resolute Council, No. 27, O. of I. A., and Meade Camp, No. 16, Sons of Veterans, of Reading.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:47 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.