Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

BOBST, SAMUEL

p. 1518

Surnames: BOBST, ERNST, HELFROTH, GNAU, HAUCK, SCHULTZ, BINGAMAN, KEMP, SPANGLER, SCHELL

One of the early settlers of Alsace township, Berks county, was John Bobst, a large landowner and farmer there, and the family has been represented in the county ever since. John Bobst married Lizzie Ernest, and they both lived to reach the advanced age of eighty-two years, both dying in Maryland. In religious belief they were Lutherans, while in politics Mr. Bobst was a Democrat. Their children were: Yetta, wife of Daniel Helfroth; Lizzie, who died young; Samuel; and Daniel.

Samuel Bobst, elder son of John, was born in Alsace township, and as he inherited the home farm his life was spent on the old homestead, which he operated most successfully. He married Lydia Helfroth, who bore him eleven children, namely: Catherine and Emma both died young; Lizzie m. George Gnau; John; Ellen, deceased, m. John Hauck; Samuel; Daniel M.; one died in infancy; Harry is deceased; and two others died in infancy. In this generation the family also adhered to the Lutheran faith, and Mr. Bobst sustained the family tradition politically as a loyal Democrat.

Samuel Bobst (2) was born on the homestead in Alsace township, April 17, 1860, and during his boyhood attended the public schools of that section. He remained on the farm till his father's death in 1874, at which time he moved with his mother to East Reading. For a time he did general work, till he secured a place in the Philadelphia & Reading foundry, and he remained there quite a while resigning finally to accept a place as driver and street car conductor on the horse car line. Under the present United Traction Company, he has been employed as a general contractor and builder, during 1903 and 1904, and during the latter year built seven and a half miles of the nine mile Birdsboro branch. In 1905 he put up seven residences on South Eighteenth street and is still actively engaged in general contracting work in Reading, where he bears a reputation as a capable builder.

Mr. Bobst married Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Schultz) Bingaman, of Reading. To this union six children have been born, namely: Gertrude m. George Kemp; Sallie m. Simon Spangler; Charles m. Miss Bertha Schell; Florence; Kate; and Samuel died aged eighteen months. Mr. and Mrs. Bobst are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Bobst is affiliated with several fraternal organizations, and he belongs to Camp No. 663, P. O. S., of A., and to the Bavarians, while he is also a member of the Union Fire Company and a trustee of that association.


BOBST, WILLIAM JACOB

p. 1368

Surnames: BOBST, BRUMBACH, HENDEL, ERMENTROUT, CLARK, HIESTER, ROMIG, ROTZ, SMITH, SHIVELY, HOUPT, HEFFELFINGER, SWOYER, SCHMECK, SCHOEDLER, DIENER, SWENK, BROBST

William Jacob Bobst, proprietor of a hosiery mill at Reading, was born in Maxatawny township, nearPicture of William Bobst Kutztown, Jan. 14, 1838, and died at Reading April 8, 1909. Mr. Bobst received a limited education in the public schools near his home. While still a boy he began to work out on a farm for his board and clothing, but his industry and perseverance so won the esteem of his employer that he was soon paid two dollars a month extra, which, at that time, was regarded as very much, and evidenced the satisfactory performance of his duties. After working on a farm until he was seventeen years old, he manifested a preference for machinery and manufactures, and securing employment in the woolen mills of William Brumbach in Exeter township, three miles below Reading, he worked there for several years. Then he sought a position in a hosiery mill at Lockport, N. Y., for the purpose of familiarizing himself with the manufacture of hosiery, and he remained there for a year. With this experience he located at Reading, finding employment in the large wool hat factor of the Hendel Brothers. After working for this firm about ten years, he was invited to become a partner on account of his skill and steady character, and he retained his interest in this great local enterprise for nearly thirty years, retiring in 1893.

In 1889, while in the hat business, he started a factory for the manufacture of hosiery, with his son William as the manager. Guided by his long experience as a manufacturer, he made this venture a success from the start, and the increasing orders from different parts of the country coming to require all of his time, he was obliged to withdraw from the firm of Hendel Bros., in 1893; and from that time he devoted his attention to the manufacture of men's half hose. In 1895 he erected a substantial two-story mill on Pearl street below Chestnut and equipped it with the best machinery. He employed upward of one hundred hands, and kept the plant running constantly, shipments being made direct to all parts of the United States.

From his early manhood Mr. Bobst took an earnest interest in religious affairs and identified himself with the Evangelical Association, the church of his parents, becoming a member of the Salem congregation at Eighth and Court streets. His zeal and devotion won the high regard of the members, and he quite naturally was selected to fill various positions in carrying on its affairs, both in the Sunday-school and in the church; and his successful efforts were evidenced by his acting as class-leader, exhorter, and president of the trustee board for the management of the financial affairs of the congregation, and also as president of the steward board for the management of its ministerial affairs; and though constantly active in the work for upward for fifty years, he continued to be devoted to the welfare of the congregation to the end of his life.

In 1875, when thirty-seven years old, Mr. Bobst imbibed the commendable principles of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and became a charter member in the institution of a new lodge, called Mt. Penn, and he kept up his membership in this lodge until his death. In 1868 he was initiated into the mysteries of Freemasonry by becoming a member of Chandler Lodge, No. 227, and he was advanced into Excelsior Chapter and Reading Commandery of the Knights Templars; in all of these bodies he continued an active membership.

Notwithstanding his devotion to the church and secret societies outside of his business, Mr. Bobst felt it his duty as a citizen of a prosperous city like Reading to show an active interest in the educational and municipal affairs of the community; accordingly he was elected to serve as a common councilman from the First ward for two terms from 1880 to 1884; and also as a school controller from the Fourth ward for two terms from 1891 to 1899, acting as chairman of the Teachers' committee for six years. He also officiated as president of the Aulenbach Cemetery Company of Reading, and from that time serving the corporation in its management.

When Mr. Bobst became of age he cast his first ballot for Abraham Lincoln as President, and he ever after held firmly to the Republican party. When the Civil war broke out in 1861, he espoused the great cause of Lincoln's administration, and in 1863 when a call for special troops was made to defend the State from the invading enemy, he enlisted in the company of independent artillery from Reading, commanded by Capt. William C. Ermentrout, and served a term of three months from July 3, 1863.

In 1858 Mr. Bobst married Sarah Clark, daughter of William and Susan (Hiester) Clark, of Exeter township, and by her he had three children: William Clark; Emma, m. to William H. Romig; and Laura, m. to Warren Rotz.

Charles Bobst, father of William J., of Maxatawny township, near Kutztown, was born in 1808 and learned the trade of a weaver, which he carried on in connection with farming for many years until shortly before his death in 1871. He was married to Mary Smith, of the same township; and by her he had six children: Catharine m. John Shively; William J., above; Lucy m. John Clark; Samuel m. Leah Houpt; James m. Alice Heffelfinger; and Jacob died unmarried.

Philip Bobst, grandfather of William J., was of Kutztown, where he conducted a popular inn for many years, which was largely patronized in the days of stage-coaches traveling daily on the great thoroughfare from Reading to Easton. He was married to Rebecca Swoyer, of the same township and a descendant of the prominent family of that name, and by her he had six children: Michael married a Schmeck; John married a lady whose Christian name was Elizabeth; Samuel m. a Schoedler; Charles above; David m. Leah Diener; and Lucy m. John Swenk. He died in 1851, aged seventy-three years, and his wife died in 1855, aged eighty years. The family name was formerly Brobst. The Maxatawny branch migrated from Albany township before 1800.


BODEY, ANDREW N.

p. 742

Surnames: BODEY, MENGEL, MCGRATH, LUDEN, TRUMBORE

Andrew N. Bodey, the efficient and capable manager of Luden's Candy Factory, Reading, Pa., is one of that city's prominent and enterprising business men. He is a son of Nelson P. Bodey, a dealer in fruits and provisions, who died in February, 1905, ages fifty-nine years. He was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, in Company E, 151st Pa. V. I., serving nine months, and was wounded during the second days' fighting at Gettysburg, being shot in both legs. He suffered greatly from these wounds all the rest of his life. Andrew N. Bodey's mother, Isabella (Mengel) Bodey, died when he was three years old, he having been the only child born to this union. Nelson P. Bodey's second wife, Clara, bore him five children, two of whom are now living: Norman, and Addie, the wife of Harry McGrath.

Andrew Nelson Bodey was born Nov. 30, 1866, and was educated in the public schools of Reading. His first business was as a cabinet finisher, and he continued at this for about ten months, after which he engaged with W. H. Luden, the manufacturing confectioner. He learned the business, and, step by step, worked himself up, until he now holds the responsible position of manager, being at the head of 450 people.

Mr. Body was married, Jan. 11, 1890 to Sallie Trumbore, daughter of Andrew and Diana Trumbore, of Reading. Four children have been born to this union: Harry, who died when one and one-half years old; and Norman, Walter and Carl, all at school. Mr. Bodey belongs to the Sons of Veterans, the P. O. S. of A., and the Knights of Friendship. He is a member of Zion's German Reformed Church. Mr. Body is independent in politics. He makes his home at No. 126 Windsor Street.


BODEY, BENTON K.

p. 1025

Surnames: BODEY, KOENIG, LEIZE, EPLER, TOBIAS, DUNKELBERGER, MOSER, LEINBACH, ALTHOUSE, FISHER, ROTHENBERGER, DUNKELBERGER

Benton K. Bodey is the owner of a valuable tract of fifty-five acres in Bern township, Berks county, and is engaged successfully in its cultivation. He was born in Muhlenberg township, same county, May 8, 1859, son of Nathan and Ann (Koenig) Bodey. Henry K. Bodey, grandfather of Benton K., was a son of Heinrich Bodey, a native of Germany. He became a successful farmer in Muhlenberg township, owning two farms there, of sixty acres each, near Leize's Bridge, and close to Bodey's school-house. The latter was so named because of the large number of the name attending there. Mr. Bodey was born Nov. 27, 1800, and died Sept. 8, 1861, and is buried at Epler's Church. His wife, Elizabeth Tobias, whom he married Jan. 11,

1824, was born Dec. 20, 1803, and died May 24, 1845. Their children were: John, born Aug. 27, 1828, lived on the homestead, and died Jan. 3, 1894; Nathan is mentioned below; Henry, born Jan. 1, 1839, lived on his father's other farm, and died April 11, 1882; Matilda m. Samuel Dunkelberger; and Eliza m. Frank Moser, of Muhlenberg. Nathan Bodey, son of Henry K., was born in Muhlenberg township, July 8, 1836, and became a farmer in Bern township, owning ninety-seven acres of land now the property of Wellington Leinbach. He died Dec. 29, 1893, and was buried at Epler's Church, of which both he and his wife were members, and in which he served as a deacon. He married Ann Koenig, daughter of Christil Koenig, a farmer of Bern township. Their children were: Benton K. and John H. K., the latter of Reading. Benton K. Bodey was reared to farm work, and on reaching maturity adopted it as his life work. He began for himself in 1892, farming the Cyrus Althouse farm in Bern township, and continuing there for eleven years. In the spring of 1904 he came into possession of the William Fisher homestead, on which are good substantial buildings, and the whole place is in excellent condition. In 1905 Mr. Bodey erected an addition to the barn of 36 x 58 feet. He keeps four horses and seven head of cattle. Mr. Bodey gives his ballot in support of the men and measures of the Democratic party. He and his family are Reformed members of Epler's church. On Aug. 13, 1881, Mr. Bodey was married to Ellen R. Fisher, daughter of William and Catharine (Rothenberger) Fisher, of the oldest families in the district. Two children have been born to this union, namely: Katie R. Dunkelberger and Annie R.


BODY, AUGUSTUS G.

p. 861

Surnames: BODY, BRUNNER, ERMENTROUT, ESTERLY, GAUL, GEIGER, GERNANT, HERBEIN, HORNBERGER, LASH, MATZ, REESER, SCHEARER, SCHWEITZER, SHEARER, SMITH, TITLOW

Augustus G. BODY, a prominent citizen of Shillington, Pa., who is now living retired after many years spent in the hotel business in Cumru township, was born Jan. 13, 1847, in this township, son of John and Mary (Gaul) Body.

Johannes Peter Body, the grandfather of Augustus G., lived in Alsace Township, where he was a lifelong farmer, and where he is buried at the Gernant's cemetery. He was born in Holland, and when seven years of age came with his parents to this country, owning a farm in Alsace (now Muhlenberg) Township. He was married three times, and his children were

as follows: Henry (who died on the old homestead in Muhlenberg Township in 1848, the father of George, Esther, Polly, Catherine and Sarah), Mr. John Titlow (of Reading, who went to San Francisco, and there died three days

later), Mrs. Shearer, Mrs. Herbein, and John (father of Augustus G.), all by the first wife, and the following by the second wife: Abraham; Daniel (who had a son Andrew); George; Peter, who lived in Muhlenberg Township, where he owned land and sold the same in 1813 to Henry Body; and two daughters, whose names are unknown.

John Body, father of Augustus G., was born in 1810, and was a well-known farmer in Cumru Township, where he had a 145 acre farm of excellent land, a part of which is now embraced in the town of Edison. He died July 27, 1878, a well-known and highly esteemed citizen. He served in various township offices, including that of supervisor, and was a member of the Reformed denomination of Sinking Spring Church. He married Mary Gaul, daughter of Peter, and to this union there were born children as follows: Henry, born Dec. 25, 1834, died April 27, 1907, was a farmer in Cumru Township, and a hatter by trade; Kate m. Enoch Gaul, a farmer of North Heidelberg Township; Richard m. Ellen Schweitzer, and is a farmer and well-known politician of Berks County; John G., and Augustus G.

John G. Body was born on his father's farm in Cumru Township, July 6, 1844, and for the past forty-five years has been working as a boss carpenter, erecting many buildings in Lower Berks County, and in Schuylkill County, he having lived at Ashland for eight years. He was assistant steward of the Berks County Alms House from 1875 until 1878, and he then engaged in the hotel business at Womelsdorf, continuing there for two years, in 1888 returning to Shillington, where he has since made his home, being engaged at his trade. He has been prominent in politics for some years, being postmaster of Shillington for four years during Cleveland's second administration, and in 1907 he was elected township supervisor of Cumru. Mr. Body was twice married, his first wife being Sarah Smith, daughter of Samuel Smith, of Wernersville, and they had these children: Harry, Maggie L., and Annie, who died in infancy; Eva, who lives in Reading; Adam S., who was associated with the Reading Eagle for some years and also taught school in Cumru Township; and Jennie, who resides in Shillington. Mr. Body's second marriage was to Emeline Matz, Sept. 5, 1896. One son, John, was born to this union.

Augustus G. Body was reared upon the farm of his father, for whom he worked until starting out in life on his own account. He obtained his education in the public schools of Cumru Township, Prof. D. B. Brunner's Business College on North Fifth Street, Reading, and the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, which latter institution he attended under the principalship of Prof. John S. Ermentrout. He began teaching at the Cedar Top School in Cumru Township, being only seventeen years of age at the time, and after two years there taught one year at White's and three at the Five Mile House, having secured his license from Judge James N. Ermentrout, President Judge of the Berks County Courts. In 1873 Mr. Body engaged in the hotel business at the Five Mile House in Cumru Township, which he conducted for two years, spending a like period in farming the Joseph Hornberger property. In 1877 he removed to the Yellow House, in Amity Township, where he remained for thirty consecutive years, gaining a reputation for honesty and integrity throughout this section of the state, his intimate friends including the leading business and professional men of Pennsylvania. Kindly and genial, quick to make friends and slow to lose them, Mr. Body made an ideal host, and his hostelry was one of the best known and most popular in the county. It was frequented by the best class of people, among whom Mr. Body's famous chicken and waffle suppers, enlivened by good music furnished by Mr. Body's daughters, were great favorites. In the spring of 1907, Mr. Body sold out his business to John M. Schearer and retired to Shillington, where he erected a handsome brick residence on New Holland Avenue, near Lancaster Avenue. Mr. Body is a Reformed member of St. John's Church at Sinking Spring, the rest of the family being identified with St. Paul's Amity Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been active in the ranks of his party, serving on numerous occasions as delegate to county conventions.

On Dec. 27, 1872, Augustus G. Body married Rebecca G. Lash, daughter of William and Maria Lash, of Spring Township, and to this union there have been born nine children, as follows: Mary m. William Reeser, a merchant at Yellow House; Howard, a dairyman at the Yellow House m. Alice Esterly; George died in infancy; John W. H., also a dairyman at the Yellow House, m. Bertha Herbein; Alice, an accomplished musician, is engaged in music teaching and resides at home with her parents; Dora, a school teacher at Locust Dale, Pa., m. Chester Geiger; Laura is also a music teacher; and Cleveland and Daniel died in infancy.


BOHN, ADAM K.

p. 1673

Surnames: BOHN, KRICK, WOOMER, FIDLER, GRETH, GRUBER, MOYER, KLINE, LENGEL, DUNDORE, MILLER

ADAM K. BOHN, a retired farmer of North Heidelberg township, Berks county, was born Nov. 27, 1852, son of Adam and Hannah (Krick) Bohn.

The first of the Bohn family in America was John Jacob Bohn, who arrived at Philadelphia from Rotterdam, Sept. 21, 1742.

Frederick Bohn, son of John Jacob, married a Miss Woomer, Frederick Bohn lived in Heidelberg township. He made his will April 14, 1814, and he died that same year. His executors were George, David and Frederick Bohn; and the witnesses, Philip Fidler and Joseph Greth. The children mentioned in this will were; George; Frederick; David; Philip; John; Elizabeth; Adam (taxable in Bern township in 1759); and Christina.

George Bohn, son of Frederick, is buried at the Bern Church. His children were: Adam, Susan, Amos, and a daughter who married a Gruber.

Adam Bohn, son of George, was born in Bern township, where he remained until 1840, when he moved to North Heidelberg, there to pass the remainder of his life engaged in farming. He married Hannah Krick, of Spring township, and they had eight children; One who died in infancy unnamed; Edward K.; Matilda, who died young; Mary Ann; Amelia, deceased; Sarah C.; Rebecca, who married Frank Moyer, engaged in the cold storage business in Philadelphia; and Adam K., who is mentioned below. Adam Bohn, the father, died March 17, 1893, and the mother passed away June 16, 1892. They are both buried at Hain's Church.

Adam K. Bohn was reared to manhood upon his father's farm, and gave his services to his parents until he was of age. He then purchased the Frederick Kline estate of twenty-five acres of good land, in the eastern end of the township, one mile from the Corner church. There he has since made his home. He has also become the owner of a tract of seven acres on which is a set of buildings. He has been industrious and thrifty, has become well to do, and is looked upon as one of the substantial men of his community. He is a Democrat, but beyond taking a good citizen's interest in public affairs has never been active in politics. He is a Reformed member of Hain's Church, and his wife is a Lutheran member of the Corner Church. He has served as deacon and also as elder.

On Oct. 8, 1873, Mr. Bohn married Otillia E. Lengel, daughter of Levi and Catharine (Dundore) Lengel, and granddaughter of Jacob and Susanna (Miller) Lengel and of Adam Dundore. To this union has been born one son, Nathaniel Oscar, born Oct. 9, 1874, who resides at home, and whose children are Earl S. and Annie M.


BOHN, EDWARD K.

p. 864

Surnames: BOHN, KRICK, WOOMER, FIDLER, GRETH, GRUBER, MOYER, LENGEL, WARNES, WINCKLEPLECK, BRIEL, AKE, RITTENHOUSE, LAMM, WARTMAN, HILL, SNYDER, MILLER, BENDER

EDWARD K BOHN, a representative farmer of Berks county, now living retired in the enjoyment of the competence won by years of patient industry, was born in Spring township, this county, May 4, 1835, son of Adam and Hannah (Krick) Bohn.

The first of the Bohn family in America was John Jacob Bohn, who arrived at Philadelphia from Rotterdam, Sept 21, 1742.

Frederick Bohn, son of John Jacob married a Miss Woomer. Frederick Bohn lived in Heidelberg township. He made his will April 14, 1814, and he died that same year. His executors were George, David and Frederick Bohn; and the witnesses, Philip Fidler and Joseph Greth. The children mentioned in this will were: George; Frederick; David; Philip; John; Elizabeth; Adam (taxable in Bern township in 1759); and Christina.

George Bohn, son of Frederick is buried at Bern church. His children were: Adam, Susan, Amos and Eva (who married Michael Gruber).

Adam Bohn, son of George was born in Bern township, and that place was his home until 1840, with the exception of two years passed in Spring township, when he moved to North Heidelberg, there to pass the remainder of his life engaged in farming. He married Hannah Krick, of Spring township, and they had eight children; one that died in infancy unnamed; Edward K.; Matilda, Mary Ann, Amelia, and Sarah C. are all deceased; Rebecca m. Frank Moyer, who is engaged the cold storage business in Philadelphia; and Adam m. Otillia Lengel, and has a son Nathaniel. Adam Bohn, the father, died March 17, 1893, and his wife passed away June 16, 1892. They are buried at Hain's church.

Edward K. Bohn received his early education in the township schools, supplementing this with a year at Washington Hall, in Trappe, Montgomery county. After leaving school he returned to the home farm, and for twenty-three years engaged in its cultivation. In 1881 he bought a farm of seventy-three acres, moving on it the following year, and in 1888 he bought the adjoining farm of 114 acres, and this his son Daniel W. operates also conducting a dairy. There is now one silo on it in operation, and another is being contemplated. Mr. Bohn has retired from active work now, and his only business is looking after his real estate holdings.

On March 10, 1858, Mr. Bohn was married to Catherine Warnes, who was born in Wayne county, Ohio, April 15, 1845, daughter of George and Mary (Wincklepleck) Warnes; the former, a farmer in Holmes county, Ohio, died in 1847. Mrs. Bohn had one sister, Angeline, who became the wife of Henry Briel. To Edward K. Bohn and wife were born nine children as follows: (1) George W., born May 23, 1859, died Sept 8, 1873. (2) Milton, born Sept. 7, 1860, graduated from Muhlenberg College in 1883, and taught seven years in the Pennsylvania State College. He now is engaged in slate roofing at Norfolk, Va., his business being incorporated under the name of Bohn roofing and Cornice Company. They employ from twenty to forty men. He married (first) Charlotte Ake, who died in September 1900 leaving three children: Catherine Mary, Richard Ake and Edward Howe. By his second wife, Hannah Rittenhouse, he has a daughter, Anna. (3) Daniel, born Oct. 25, 1861, graduated from the Reading Business College in 1882. He married Lizzie Lamm, and has had three children, Bertha C., who died young; Henry E. and Catherine. (4) Henry W., D. .D. S. born Sep. 25, 1865, was educated at Trappe College and the University of Pennsylvania, and is now engaged in the practice of his profession at Reading, his well appointed offices being at No. 34 North Ninth street. He married Jennie Wartman. (5) Mary, born Feb 24, 1867, married Frank N. Hill, of Chester county, Pa., and they have three children; Milton, Lizzie and Ella May. (6) Wellington, born Sept. 1, 1868, graduated in the electrical engineering course from the Pennsylvania State College in 1892, and is now in partnership with his brother, Milton, at Norfolk Va., (7) Elizabeth, born Nov. 19, 1872, engaged in dressmaking until her marriage with Howard L. Snyder, a farmer on his father-in-law's farm, and she has one child, Myrtle. (8) Edward, D. D. S., born Sept. 18, 1875, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, June 9, 1897, and is engaged in practice at No. 715 Washington street, Reading. He married Jennie Miller, daughter of Adam Miller, and they have one daughter, Dorothy, and one son, J. Russel. (9) Amelia, born Oct. 8, 1876, was educated in the Keystone State Normal School. She married Daniel Bender, of Annville, Pa., who was killed on the railroad in May, 1906 and had on son Harold. Mrs. Catherine (Warnes) Bohn died March 28, 1906, aged sixty-four years, eleven months, fourteen days, and was buried at Hain's church. Mr. Bohn takes a very great interest in public affairs, and for ten years served as school director. He is a Democrat in principle, but on local issues is not bound by party ties. He has always worked in the interest of the Granges, organizing all but one in the county. He belongs to Welcome Home Grange No. 551 in Robesonia. He is a member of the Reformed church, as was also his wife, and he was deacon and elder for many years. Mr. Bohn has many friends throughout the county.


BOHN FAMILY

p. 1581

Surnames: BOHN, WOOMER, FIDLER, GRETH, REEDY, RIEDE, BROSSMAN, AHRENS, HINNERSHITZ, UNGER, BARR, BOYER, DREIBELBIS, BECKLEY

The Bohn family of Berks county, to which the late Jeremiah B. Bohn, of Lower Heidelberg township, belonged, is descended from John Jacob Bohn, who arrived at Philadelphia from Rotterdam, Sept. 21, 1742.

Frederick Bohn, son of John Jacob, married a Miss Woomer. He lived in Heidelberg township. He made his will April 14, 1814, and died that same year. His executors were George, David, and Frederick Bohn, the witnesses Philip Fidler and Joseph Greth. The children mentioned in this will were: George (who is buried at Bern Church), Frederick, David, Philip, John, Elizabeth (unmarried), Adam and Christina. There was an Adam Bohn who was a taxable in Bern township in 1759.

Philip Bohn, son of Frederick, born March 24, 1781, died Aug. 11, 1861, aged eighty years, four months, seventeen days. He was a well-known farmer in Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, where he died and he and his wife were buried at Hain's Church. He married Elizabeth Reedy or Riede, born in 1794, died in 1854, and they had the following named children; Isaac, Polly, Lydia, Susan, Julian, Louisa, Sophia and Eveline.

Isaac Bohn, son of Philip was a farmer in Lower Heidelberg township and owned a large quantity of land there. He died at the age of seventy-seven years, and is buried at Hain's Church. He was twice married, his first wife being a Brossman, his second an Ahrens, and by the first union there were children as follows: Amelia, Sarah, Mary (deceased), Franklin, Reiley, Thomas and Jeremiah B. No children were born to the second marriage.

Jeremiah B. Bohn, son of Isaac, was born March 31, 1850 in Lower Heidelberg township and died July 18, 1902, aged fifty-two years, three months, eighteen days. When a young man he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for several years before he commenced farming, which he carried on in both Lower Heidelberg and North Heidelberg townships. He was the owner of two fine farms, one located in each of the townships named, having a total of 210 acres of valuable land. He died on his place in North Heidelberg township. Mr. Bohn was a well-known and much esteemed citizen, and at the time of his death was serving in the office of township school director. He was a Democrat in political sentiment. A prominent member of the Hain's Reformed Church, he served as elder of same.

Mr. Bohn was twice married, first to Viola Hinnershitz, by whom he had two children; Isaac C., a machinist, of Brownsville; and Katie E., wife of William F. Unger, of Brownsville. Mr. Bohn's second marriage in 1883 was to Mary A. Barr, daughter of Isaac Barr, and to them were born four children, three of whom survive: Morris C; Annie L. wife of Clement Boyer of Wernersville, Pa.; and David F., unmarried, who resides at Wernersville.

Morris C. Bohn, born Jan. 15, 1885, in Lower Heidelberg township, attended the public schools and learned farming under his father. In time he was put in charge of his father's North Heidelberg farm, which he managed for three years, after which he worked at the carpenter's trade a year. In the spring of 1906 he engaged in the hotel business, buying his present stand at Brownsville, in Lower Heidelberg township, from Moses K. Balthaser. His establishment is known as the "Farmers Hotel," and is an up-to-date place, beautifully located on a fine drive eight miles from the city of Reading, and surrounded by a fine growth of trees. Mr. Bohn knows the wants of the traveling public and is conscientious in his desire to serve his patrons honorably, doing everything possible for their comfort. He has eighteen acres of valuable land in connection with the hotel property.

Mr. Bohn married Miss Elizabeth M. Dreibelbis, daughter of Isaac and Ida (Beckley) Dreibelbis, and they have had three children: Lloyd I., Howard J. and Rufus S. Mr. Bohn is a Reformed member of the Hain's Church. In political opinion he is a Democrat, but he is not active in party work.


BOLICH FAMILY

p. 1396

Surnames: BOLICH, ARNOLD, KOHLER, FISHER, LEIDY, ALLSBACH, SECHLER, KISTLER, WANAMAKER, SEIDEL, BAILEY, GERHARD, HENDRICK, YENSER, TREXLER, HEILMAN, LEVAN

The Bolich family is an old one in Berks county, and was founded in America by the great-great-grandfather of Reuben W. Bolich.

Andraes Bolich was a native of the German Palatinate and crossed the ocean with 171 other passengers on the ship "Neptune," which landed at Philadelphia Sept. 24, 1754. It is not known where he spent the intervening time, but it is of record that he settled in Greenwich township, Berks county, some time after 1765. He was a tiller of the soil and a man of decided German characteristics. His will, recorded in Book A, page 11, is of record March 16, 1780, and he died the following month. To his son Andrew (Andraes) were bequeathed the plantation and all the implements, and he was to pay 300 sterling to his seven sisters in installments. An item appears in the will which evidently shows the favorite daughter, reading, "My daughter, Dorothea, shall have a yearling heifer," so many pounds of flax, beef, etc. The will contains as witnesses the names of Philip Arnold and Benedict Kohler, who will be recognized as early pioneers of the county.

Andraes Bolich, son of the ancestor, lived in Greenwich township, with his wife Margaretha, and among their children, whose names do not appear, were Johan and Michael. The latter settled in the vicinity of Ashland, Schuylkill country, where he owned a large estate, and where his descendants now reside, - Michael Bolich of Mount Carmel, being one of them.

The Federal Census Report of 1790 recorded Andraes Bolich a resident of Greenwich township, and the head of a family consisting of his wife, one son under sixteen, and four daughters.

One Peter Bolich was a private in the Revolution; was for fourteen days in Captain John Robinson's Company, of Berks county, in October 1781.

John Bolich, the grandfather was born in Greenwich township Feb. 4, 1784, son of Andreas (2). He passed his life in East Brunswick township, Schuylkill country, where he died 1867. He also was of the agricultural class, clearing away the forest for his large farm of 200 acres, this property having since been divided in two. He was a man who took an active interest in the public affairs of the district. He is buried at Friedens Church, near New Ringgold. His wife was Catharine Fisher, born in Greenwich township, Sept 27, 1789, "at eight o'clock in the morning," her sponsors being Heinrich and Catharine Fisher, and she was the daughter of Frederick and Anna Maria (Leidy ) Fisher, of Greenwich township. Their marriage occurred Oct. 13, 1807, and they had children born to them as follows: Susanna, born 1809 m. Joseph Allsbach; Johannes, 1811, m. Hannah Sechler; Catharine, 1813; Daniel, 1814; George, 1816; Samuel, 1817; Maria, 1819; William, 1820; Hannah, 1822; Christina, 1823 died 1841; Sarah, 1825; Benjamin, 1826; Joseph, 1831.

George Bolich was born in East Brunswick, Schuylkill country, Oct. 11, 1816. He died Jan. 29, 1902, and he is buried with his wife at Bolich's churchyard in Eckville, Albany township. This church was named after George Bolich, he having donated the land on which it was built. George Bolich was one of the industrious and prosperous farmers of his day. He was one of the stalwart Republicans of the county, and though he never sought office he was ever ready to stand for the principles he had espoused. He was devoutly pious, having been the leading spirit in the establishment of Bolich's church, contributing $1,000 toward its erection, in addition to the ground on which it is built. His whole religious life was wrapped up in his church, and he served it with devotion. Mr. Bolich came to Albany township about 1849 from East Penn township, Schuylkill country, where for five years he had operated a grist-mill. He purchased the farm now cultivated by his son Reuben, where he continued to reside until his demise. The wife and mother was Priscilla Wanamaker, of Lynnport, Leigh country, daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Kistler) Wanamaker. They reared the following family: Samuel, the eldest son, died aged forty-seven; Caroline m. Jacob Seidel; William resides at Drehersville; John, Amadus, Priscilla and Sarah died young; George is living at Drehersville; Alice m. Daniel Bailey; Jacob died aged seventeen; Reuben W. is the youngest.

Reuben W. Bolich has spent his life in Albany township, where he was born March 4, 1865. He was reared under the parental roof. His education was such as could be secured in the district schools of his day, but he has supplemented it with that education which comes from careful reading and an observant mind; and he is one of the substantial men of his community. He began farming for himself in the spring of 1891, on the old homestead, and has met with merited success. The old homestead contains now 220 acres. It was originally a "Gerhard" farm, and has somewhat of a romantic history, dating from the French and Indian war. The Gerhards lived on it at that time, and as this was on the frontier, the Indian made it the scene of one of their murderous, predatory raids. The house was burned, together with Jacob Gerhard and two of his daughters. It is of interest to note that their site of this house was where the present pig-sty now stands. This part of the Gerhard farm was later known as the Michael Hendrick estate, from which it was purchased in 1840 by George Bolich, it then consisting of 243 acres. It came into the possession of its present owner in 1899 by purchase. It is fertile, and has good buildings. Mr. Bolich plants from fifteen to twenty acres of potatoes, the specialty in his section. The present residence was built in 1875 by his father. It occupies the site of a log house which is said to have been built as early as 1756, and which stood until 1875. The present barn was built in 1896, by George Bolich.

Reubin W. Bolich married at Albany, Oct. 31, 1891, Miss Emma Yenser, daughter of Moses and Fietta (Trexler) Yenser, and a granddaughter of George and Mary (Heilman) Yenser, residents of Lenhartsville. One daughter was born to this union,-Amelia Alice Bolich.

The Yensers are a German family of the county, who have lived for many years in the vicinity of Wessnersville. Besides, Mrs. Bolich, there were in the family; Sara (m. Albert D. Levan); William died at the age of twenty-six and had one son, George.

Mrs. Bolich is a lady of education and refinement. Her early education was secured in the common schools. Later she attended the Keystone State Normal at Kutztown. She then taught school successfully for some five years. Since her marriage she has interested herself in the intellectual life of the community. Mr. Bolich is a member of the Evangelical Association, at what is known as "Bolich" or "Eckville" church, of which he is a class-leader and official. Mrs. Bolich is a Lutheran member of New Bethel Church.

The annual reunions of the Bolich family are largely attended, the last one, the fifth, being held at Drehersville.


BOLLMAN, LEWIS

p. 1370

Surnames: BOLLMAN, FISHER, HENDEL, GAUL, CORDEMAN, LUFT, MAHNADER, BEHM, SAND, MOYER

Lewis Bollman, one of the highly esteemed citizens of Hyde Park, Berks county, who served three three-year terms as tax collector of Muhlenberg township, was born Dec. 5, 1842 in Cumru township, Berks county, son of John and Mary (Fisher) Bollman, and died there April 8, 1908.

Jacob Bollman, grandfather of Lewis, was a native of Berks county, and owned and operated a farm near Sinking Spring, in which locality he spent his life. He and his wife, whose name is not remembered, were the parents of these children; George, m. Sarah Fisher; Susan m. Levi Hendel; Barbara m. Absalom Fisher; and John. In religious belief the family were Reformed. Politically Mr. Bollman was a Whig.

John Bollman inherited the farm formerly owned by his father, which is now known as the Reuben Gaul estate, and here he spent a few years, but on account of bad management was forced to give up his farm and engage in common laboring. He died in 1863, when fifty-four years of age, his wife surviving until her sixty-ninth year. Both were members of the Reformed church, and the parents of these children: Sarah m. George Cordeman; Leonard, who died single, was a soldier in the civil war; being a member of the 128th Reg., Durell's Battery; Catherine m. Benjamin Luft; Lewis; Mary m. Isaac Behm; Emma m. William D. Sand; and Samuel died young. Mr. Bollman was a Whig; but never was the holder of any public office.

Lewis Bollman was educated in the schools of Sinking Spring, which he attended winters, and in the summer months, from the age of eight years he engaged at laboring for $1.50 per month until 1862, when he enlisted as a substitute for William Mahnader, in Co. E 167th P. V. Durell's Battery, in which he continued to serve until the close of the war, having an honorable and gallant record. On his return from the war, he became the driver of a six-mule-team for the Clymer Iron Company, with which firm he continued about two years, and then engaged with Leisz and Schrack, lumbermen, who were operating in the Blue Mountains. He remained with this concern for several years, and then found employment in the Philadelphia and Reading rail mill, in which he continued until Coffoth & Sailor took charge thereof, and then with these gentlemen until they suspended business. He then engaged in farming for himself for three years, but subsequently engaged at Wilhelm's Bolt and Nut Works, and continued with this company until it was closed in 1808. At this time Mr. Bollman was elected tax collector of Muhlenberg township, and he served his third three-year term in this office, while he was also roadmaster by appointment of the board of supervisors. Mr. Bollman was a Democrat in his political belief, being the only member of his family to vote with that party.

Fraternally Mr. Bollman was connected with Washington Camp No. 68 P. O. S. of A., and Nathan Hale Commandery of that order; and with Lodge No. 372, K. G. E. He was also a member of Durell's Battery Association. He was a member of Grace Alsace Reformed church, in which he had been an elder.

Mr. Bollman married Rebecca Moyer, daughter of Jacob Moyer.


BOND, WILLIAM FRANKLIN

p. 418

Surnames: BOND, STUMP, YENSER MOYER, BOYER, DIEHL, TAYLOR, STUMPFF, GROVE, MANN, SCHUMUCKER, SCHMIDT, DUBBS, SCHAUM, MUHLENBERG, STUMPF, FOCHT, TREXLER, LEIBY, MILLER, DIETRICH, YENSER, ECKERT, CHRIST,NAGLE, CHRISTMAN, KAUFMAN, GREENAWALT, ZIEGLER, BAER, KECK, BREHM, HAMAKER, HORINE, HORN, BERND, RAKER, HUMBERT, SNYDER, KREBS, BIERY, GRUMBEIN, SMOLL, SCHANTZ

William Franklin Bond is of mixed English and Pennsylvania-German blood, son of Edwin Bond and Catharine Anne (Stump). He was born Oct. 31, 1861, the anniversary of the German Reformation, in Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa. Near Lenhartsville, a township noted for teachers who have become ministers of the Lutheran and Reformed Churches.

Edward Bond, his paternal grandfather, emigrated to America with several older brothers, John and Thomas, from Longington, on the Itching rivulet, a branch of the Avon river, in Warwickshire, England, ten miles from Coventry and eight from Warwick, near the place where Shakespeare was born. These three brothers, with a number of other English emigrants sailed from Liverpool in the vessel "Montezuma," landing in Philadelphia June 14, 1829. Being craftsmen in wood and iron industries, Grandfather Bond and his brothers sought employment in Schuykill county, then new territory, in which much construction work was going on, the coal production being yet however, in its infancy -- though the mining of the "black diamond" was the excitement of the country at that time, attracting adventurous laborers from all over the world. The older brothers, John and Thomas, having been married, later on settled in Tamaqua, where Bond's drug store and Bond's blacksmith shop are well known to this day. Grandfather Edward Bond came across the Atlantic as a single young man and remained settled at Port Clinton in the Schuykill Water Gap, the very "port" or mouth of the anthracite coal region. There he married Miss Mary Magdalene Yenser, reported to have been of German-French descent.

It was at Port Clinton that Edwin Bond, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born on Feb. 22, 1839. When he was only nine years old his mother died, and his father, a carpenter, lost his life by accident, Aug 25, 1854, while working on a bridge of the Little Schuykill railroad. He helped to construct that road, which was at first laid with wooden rails, covered with iron sheathing. The coal cars were moved originally with horse-power. An interesting incident is remembered in this connection, which shows that the Bonds early took an active interest in public education. It is known that the adoption of the public school system was originally submitted to the voters of the various precincts. The cause had been several times before the voters, but had been as often defeated in the Port Clinton district. It so happened that a deep snow fell the night before another election, when the matter was before the voters again, and the anti-public school party not being on their guard, John Bond one of the emigrant brothers, who furnished some half dozen or more teams to haul coal down the Little Schuykill, on the morning of election day said to his men: "Now, boys, this is our opportunity. We can't haul coal today. Let's haul pro-school voters to the polls." They did; and the result was that the public schools were adopted in that precinct somewhat earlier than in the adjoining districts, and it became a leader in the line of progress and enterprise.

When yet a half orphan Edwin Bond was temporarily placed by his father with James Moyer, a wholesale cigar dealer and manufacturer of Hamburg, this county. When his father so soon also died, he was given a more permanent home at his own request by his maternal uncle, George Yenser, who lived in Albany township, Berks county. Thus by a strange coincidence the father of our subject, Edwin Bond, was confirmed in the Lutheran faith in the same New Bethel Church of Albany in whose cemetery the remains of his great-great-grandfather, Hans Georg Stump, were resting. Later George Yenser moved to Greenwich township, near Lenhartsville, where he became a prosperous farmer and was one of the prime movers in the erection of the Friedens Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church of that place.

Though early deprived of parental love and influence, Edwin Bond did not forget, as Moses in Egypt did not, the religion taught by his mother. He was of a pious and devoted turn of heart and mind. Edwin's brother, John Bond, left the drug store to his namesake in Tampaqua and moved to Kansas. A younger brother, George, has lived for many years in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he invented a practical feature of the air-brake system. There were three sisters: Ellen, who died a few years ago in Pottsville, Katie, wife of Jacob Boyer, of Lewistown, and Sarah, wife of Frank Diehl, of St. Clair, the latter two still living in Schuykill county.

Whilst our subject is the third generation in this country of paternal English descent, he is the fifth generation as to his maternal German lineage. The first maternal ancestor in America was John George Stump, who emigrated from Germany, it is believed from Wurtenberg, between the years 1717 and 1720. Bayard Taylor, in his "History of Germany," states (pp. 437-444) that this was a trying period for many German citizens, when the rude and arbitrary Frederick William I. Ruled over Prussia. "The collective history of the German States-for we can hardly say 'History of Germany,' when there really was no Germany-at this time, is a continuous succession of wars and diplomatic intrigues, which break out in one direction before they are settled in another." The War of the Spanish Succession raging along the Rhine kept the southern part of Germany in a state of convulsion for some years. The luxury, jealousy and extravagance of the petty princes made life hard for the common people. "In Wutermberg the Duke Eberhard Ludwig so oppressed the people that many of them emigrated to America between the years 1717 and 1720 and settled in Pennsylvania." This history well corresponds with what our subject remembers related by his maternal grandparents about the hardships the earlier ancestors endured in the mother country; that they came to this "land of the free" as serfs, being obliged to earn off their passage across the waters after they had landed on these shores. But they prized their religious and political liberty higher than their homes and landed possession yonder, which by the ravages of war and cruel confiscations were to them of little value. The Stumps came from Wurtemberg, Germany, is further substantiated by an account found in "Thirty Thousand Emigrants," which states that Philip Stumpff came across with 290 passengers on the ship "Jacob," Adolph D. Grove, captain, sailing from Amsterdam, by way of Shields, England.

Family tradition says that John George Stump was "bound" out in one of the lower sections of Pennsylvania, possibly near New Hanover, Montgomery county, until he had earned his freedom, when he moved with others from New Hanover to Albany township, Berks Co., Pa. For it is stated by Rev. Prof. W. J. Mann, D. D., and Rev B. M. Schumucker, D. D. in "Halle Reports" that "Allegmaengel," as Albany township was first called, was largely settled by people from New Hanover (Vol I, p. 415). The name "Allemaengel" is said to be of German origin, and is supposed to designate the poverty and misfortune of the first settlers, who found a barren country where there was a "want of all good and necessary things." But this idea is not sustained by others; for the Rev. Dr. Schmidt, who was secretary of the Ministerium of Pennsylvania in the year 1796, has added in the written minutes of the Synod by way of explanation the word "Allemingao," showing that the former name for "Albany" was of Indian origin, and likely meant the very opposite of "wanting all good and necessary things." Furthermore, the Rev. J. H. Dubbs, in his "History of the Lehigh Valley" (p. 304), compares "Allemaengel" with "Egypt," as a section of country at the southern slope of the Blue Mountains known for its fertility. It is a fact established by research on the part of our subject that the earliest Church Record and Constitution of the New Bethel Lutheran and Reformed Church located in this very "corner" of Albany township names the community as "Das Rosenthal," that is, "The Valley of Roses," and hence instead of being "sterile" it was a land "flowing with milk and honey." Besides, why would a barren country attract new settlers? The New Bethel Church Record dates back to 1761, and John George Stump must then have lived for some time in that community. At any rate, he was one of the earliest members of record in the "Halle Reports" that the Rev. Pastor Schaum, an associate and co-worker with the Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, D.D., was married on Aug. 7, 1753, to a Miss "Maria Dorothea Stumpf," who may have been a near relative, for the name in the Albany Church Record is found sometimes with an "f" or a second "p" added.

It is altogether possible than John George Stump heard the pioneer pastor Muhlenberg preach; for it is reported in the latter's "Diary" that he visited "Allemaengel" Church in March, 1747, which at that time must have been the "Red Church" near Wessnersville, to which church the settlers of West "Corner" Albany restored until the establishment of the New Bethel congregation in 1761 fourteen years later. Be that as it may, certain it is that the pioneer Stump secured a large tract on the west side of Round Top Mountain in Albany, the farm at present owned by James S. Focht, who successfully operates a lucrative red paint mine near Greenwalt's Station along the Berks & Lehigh Branch of the Reading Railway, being a part of the original grant and the once Stump homestead.

When the subject of our sketch was a boy of about twelve years the late Amos Trexler, who then conducted a tannery on these same premises, pointing to an immense willow tree standing close by his pits, said: "There stands your great-great-grandfather's riding whip!" Being asked for an explanation, he said, that when long ago John George Stump was out on business one day riding on horseback through Indian trails, he brought home a little willow whip which he had used to drive his steed, and which, as he arrived home, he flung into the streamlet there. The riding whip developed roots and grew into a mighty tree, standing as a silent witness to future generations of him who thus inadvertently planted it, destined to be a more enduring monument to his memory than the soft sandy tombstones quarried on his own lands for his own sepulture in the New Bethel cemetery.

The next in line of kinship was John Stump, who seems to have moved farther south. His remains lie buried at the Dunkel's Church in Greenwich township. The third was Samuel Stump, born Oct. 16, 1794, and died March 4, 1864. He was married to Miss Rachel Leiby, born April 15, 1801, died March 22, 1875. Both are buried at the Friedens Church of Lenhartsville, which they helped to erect. They lived on the southwest side of Round Top Mountain, where our subject was born. They were the parents of the following children: Nathan, of near Klinesville; Joel, of Liscum; Peter, of Lenhartsville; Moses, Aaron, Samuel and Gideon, all deceased; Mary, widow of Isaac Miller, of Oklahoma; Elizabeth, of Kempton, widow of Nathan Dietrich, who died on the old George Yenser homestead in Albany; and Catharine, the youngest daughter and mother of our subject.

While growing up the Rev. Mr. Bond learned the shoemaker's trade before the days of shoe factories when there was a great demand for hand-made shoes. Early he learned to wield the hammer and ply the awl. He continued to work at his father's trade till his eighteenth year, when his parents "gave him free" out of kindness to allow him an opportunity to prepare for the Gospel ministry, as in fact they did all their surviving six sons and three daughters. He began for himself as many ministers here and elsewhere have done. In a newspaper article concerning Mr. Bond and his work which appeared in a Berks county paper not long ago it was said: "For many years the teaching profession in Berks county has been a stepping-stone to the ministry, and ninety per cent of the minister of this county of all denominations have been public school teachers before they took up the preaching of the Gospel. One of these prominent teachers, who gave up school life for the pulpit, was Rev. William Franklin Bond, of Shamrock."

He obtained his common school education in the Zettlemeyer's school, near Lenhartsville, which place has lately been selected as a health resort by Banker Eckert of Reading, where the financier has erected a beautiful and well equipped summer home. The school was from 1867 to 1879 under the instruction of Charles Christ, Peter Nagle, Percival Christman, Frank Kaufman, each for one year, Moses S. Greenwalt for seven years, and George W. Ziegler, M. D., now in Philadelphia, for one year. The adjoining school in Albany township taught by Amos S. Greenawalt, being more advanced, was attended for one term. Country schools then were only open five months in a year, of which a month and more on an average was omitted in fall on account of the busy harvest season in the family trade.

In the fall of 1880 he attended seven weeks select school at Henley's in Albany, taught by the now sainted missionary, the Rev. Frank S. Dietrich, then a student in the Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. Our subject taught four terms; one under Supt. Samuel A. Baer, the Miller-Clauser school in Albany, in 1880-81; and there under Supt. David S. Keck -- the Wagaman's or Independent district school in Greenwich, 1881-82; the Lenhartsville school, 1882-83, just before that town incorporated into a borough, and when seventy-two pupils were enrolled and sixty averaged during the term; and the Neff's school in Maxatawny township, 1883-84. Between public school terms he attended the spring and fall sessions at the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, from 1881-84. He entered Muhlenberg College, at Allentown in 1884, and graduated in 1888. While at college he was a member of the Euterpean Literary Society, which elected him to the associate editorship of "The Muhlenberg" in 1888. At the end of the Sophomore year he received a $15 prize for a contest essay entitled "The Physical Basis of Musical Sound"; and honorable mention for standing in class at graduation. He entered the Theological Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Philadelphia in 1888, and graduated in May, 1891. He was ordained to the office of the ministry in the Lutheran Church by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania in Emanuel's Church at Pottstown, Pa., May 26, 1891, and immediately thereafter became pastor of the Lutheran Church at Tower City, Schuykill Co., Pa.

Mr. Bond was married to Miss Amy H. Brehm, originally of Lancaster county, later of Allentown, whose parents -- Philip Wineland and Barbara (Hamaker) Brehm-are still living in Chambersburg, Pa., Oct. 1, 1891. This union was blessed with two sons and two daughters, Paul, John, Mary and Anna, all of whom survive. Their mother died of blood poisoning July 30, 1901, aged thirty-six years. Her remains rest in the Zion's Lutheran and Reformed cemetery in Tower City, Pennsylvania.

During his first pastorate of over thirteen years a debt resting upon St. Paul's Church of Tower City was paid, a new and commodious parsonage was erected and St. Peter's Church at Orwin, Pa., was renovated. While at Tower City he was secretary of the Pottsville Conference of the Pennsylvania Ministerium for some seven years. In August, 1904, he received a call to the Bowers-Longswamp Parish, consisting of four thriving congregations in southeastern Berks which he accepted when Rev. M. C. Horine, D. D., was President of the Synod, and Rev. E T. Horn, D. D., LL. D., was President of the Reading Conference, and Rev. John H. Raker, the second superintendent of the Lutheran Orphan's Home, at Topton, Pa., conducting the installation services.

To quote again from the newspaper article mentioned, Mr. Bond has since "answered the many calls to ministerial duties of four thriving Berks county congregations . . . one of the largest Berks county charges of the Lutheran denomination, consisting of Bowers, Longswamp, New Jerusalem and Huff's Churches, which for thirty years had been served by Rev. D. K. Humbert. This is one of the charges in Berks county where a minister must be of the most strenuous type. The congregations are widely scattered in the mountainous sections, and they have a membership of several thousand.

"In a service of seventeen years Rev. Bond preached over 2,600 sermons, baptized nearly 1,200 children, confirmed 700 members, wedded over 200 couples and conducted nearly 500 funerals, besides making hundreds of addresses at public gatherings and collecting thousands of dollars for benevolent and church purposes."

Mr. Bond was married again, on Oct. 20, 1904, in Tower City, Pa., to Mrs. Katie Eva Snyder, a daughter of the late Philip Krebs and wife Sarah (Grumbein), originally of Lebanon county. Her mother still survives in Tower City, Pa. Mr. Bond with his family now resides in the Uriah Biery homestead at Shamrock, Longswamp township, this county.

Having been in humble circumstances, Mr. Bond received aid from the Ministerium of Pennsylvania through the recommendation of his pastor, the late Rev. B. S. Smoll, and the Rev. F. J. F. Schantz, D.D. chairman of the then executive committee, to complete his collegiate and theological training, which aid, out of gratitude and love, and from a sense of bounden duty, he has by strenuous efforts returned, that the same might be used again and again to help worthy young men to prepare for the Gospel Ministry. His beloved parents, to whom he owes a never-to-be-paid debt of gratitude, are still living at Lenhartsville, nearing the seventieth milestone of their toilsome pilgrimage of life.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:40 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.