Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

BAUS, JOHN B.

p. 918

Surnames: BAUS, STAUFFER, GEISINGER, WEIDNER, BUZZARD, STRUBEL, ZIEGLER, WANNAMAKER, GABEL, BARTO, RAUB, JOHNSON.

John B. Baus, proprietor of the "Barto Hotel" in Washington township, Berks county, had been carrying on that place since 1902. He was born Feb. 29, 1864, in Longswamp township, this county, in which vicinity his family has settled for many years.

William Baus, his grandfather, was born July 31, 1796, and died May 8, 1884, aged eighty-seven years, eleven months, and eight days. He married Catharine Stauffer, born Jan. 26, 1795, died Jan 17, 1864, aged sixty-eight years, eleven months, twenty-one days, and both are buried at Huff's Church. There is a John Baus, born in 1810, died in 1859, aged forty-eight years, nine months, fourteen days buried at Huff's Church, who was probably a brother of William Baus. Mr. and Mrs. William Baus passed all their lives in the neighborhood of Huff's Church, and he was engaged as a farmer and charcoal burner. He was a tall, strong man, of honest nature and happy disposition. His family consisted of four children: Johannes S., born Sept. 29, 1821, died May 25, 1884, aged sixty-two years, seven months, twenty-six days, married Elizabeth Geisinger; William, born May 26, 1825, died Jan. 4, 1899, aged seventy-three years, seven months, eight days, married Lucy Ann Weidner (1823-1866) and had a son Allen (1861-1880); Samuel S., born Jan. 12, 1830, died Feb 22, 1893); Jacob, born Jan. 11, 1835, died Sept. 1 1889, aged fifty-four years, seven months, twenty days.

Samuel S. Baus, son of William, was born Jan. 12, 1830, and died Feb. 22, 1893, aged sixty-three years, one month, ten days. He was buried at Huff's Church, of which he was a member. Mr. Baus was a farmer and shoemaker at Huff's Church, where he owned a twenty-four acre tract upon which he lived for twenty-three years. He married Elizabeth Buzzard, daughter of Adam Buzzard, and she survives him, now making her home with her son Alfred at East Greenville, Montgomery Co., Pa. M. and Mrs. Baus had eight children: George, Alfred, Clara (m. George Strubel), John B., David, Mary (m. Isaiah Ziegler and lives at Pennsburg, Pa.), Fianna (m. John Wannamacker, of Rahn Station, PA.), and James (m. Annie Gabel, and lives at Trumbauersville, Pa.)

John B. Baus attended school at Huff's Church and was reared to farm work, which he followed for a number of years, at first working for farmers in Hereford and Washington townships, Berks county, and in North Wales, Gwynedd township, Montgomery county. In 1885 he went out West to West Point, Cuming Co., Nebr., where he worked on a farm about one year, and returning to Berks county he worked among the farmers around his father's old homestead at Huff's Church. He continued thus until 1896, and for the next six years sold milk at North Wales, buying it from the farmers and retailing it among his customers. On Jan. 8, 1902, he became the proprietor of the "Barto Hotel", which he has since conducted. The property is owned by George J. Raub, of Reading. Mr. Baus is a good business man, and being of a sociable disposition, is well-fitted for his present line of business. He is a member of the K.G.E. at North Wales, and the P.O.S. of A. camp at Alburtis. In politics he is a Jeffersonian Democrat and he takes quite an interest in party affairs.

On Jan. 8, 1902, Mr. Baus was married to Clara Johnson, of North Wales, daughter of Frank C. Johnson, of that place, and they have two children, Helen and Nellie. This family belongs to the Reformed congregation of Huff's Church, of which all the Baus family has been members, and many of the name are buried there.


BAUSCHER FAMILY

p. 1288

Surnames: BAUSCHER, BOUTCHER, BOUCHER, LAUBENSTEIN, DIETRICH, HARTZEL, TREXLER, WERNER, SMITH, KUNKEL, SASSAMAN, ALTENDERFER, STIBITZ.

The emigrant ancestor of the Bauscher family came to Pennsylvania from Germany but the origin of the family is French. Tradition says that Daniel Bauscher, who in 1790 spelled his name 'Boutcher', came to this country from the Palatinate in 1765. In 1790 he was a resident of Albany township, Berks county, and lived on the farm which is still in the family name. The Federal census of that year records him as the father of three sons (above sixteen years of age) and two daughters. He was, however, the father of seven children, namely: Philip; Jacob, who settled in Windsor township; Anthony, who removed to the Glades, Westmoreland county, Pa., and who is the forbear of J. N. Boucher, Esq., of Greensburg, Pa.; Henry, who removed to Somerset county, Pa.; Peter, who located in Hamburg; and two daughters one of whom was Barbara.

Philip Bauscher, son of Daniel, bought land of John Penn in Albany township, Berks county. He is buried at New Bethel Church. His children were: Jacob; Christian, 1799-1875; Maria, m. to Peter Laubenstein; Kate, m. to John Dietrich; Rachel, m. to John Dietrich; and Leah, m to John Hartzel.

Christian Bauscher, son of Philip, was born in Albany township in 1799, and died there in 1875; he is buried at New Bethel Church. He was a farmer on the old homestead, and retired from active work about ten years before he died. He married Maria Dietrich, daughter of John Dietrich, and their children were: Catharine m. Andreas Kunkel; Lydia m. Nathan Trexler; Abbie m. Jonas Werner; Nathan, a farmer now living in McKeansburg, m. Brigitta Smith, and has children - Ella, David, Levi, Sarah, Amanda, Amelia, and Ida; and Henry.
Picture of Henry BauscherHenry Bauscher, son of Christian, was born on the old Bauscher homestead in Albany township May 25, 1832, and there passed his entire life, dying on the same farm, May 3, 1909. His early education was obtained in the old pay schools of his day, and later he went to Montour county to learn English and attend school. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence and judgement and he was successful as a farmer and useful as a citizen. The old Bauscher farm which he owned contains 190 acres of the best farm land in the township, and under his practical, systematic care it was greatly improved and developed. The tenement house, a stone building, was erected by his father, Christian, in 1852, but the modern brick house, now occupied by Miss Annie M. Bauscher, was built by Henry Bauscher in 1852. The Swiss barn was built by Christian.

Henry Bauscher was modest and retiring in his disposition, but he had too keen a regard for the duties and responsibilities of citizenship to remain in the background when the moral or material welfare of his community was in need of support and assistance, and he was ever one of the progressive and enterprising men of his community. He was industrious and honest, and he well merited the high esteem in which he was held. In politics he was a Democrat, and for many years served most efficiently as school director. He and his family were members of the New Bethel (Corner) Church of Albany, which he served many years in the duties of deacon, elder, and treasurer. He and three generations before him are buried in its graveyard.
Picture of Sarah BauscherMr. Bauscher was twice married. On Oct. 2, 1854, he m. Sarah Kunkel, born Oct 2, 1837; died Sept. 29, 1863, the mother of five sons: Lewis W., born 1855; Oliver, born 1856; Daniel, born 1860; and Wallace and Thomas, twins, born 1862, the former dying in 1862; and the latter in 1863. On Nov. 9, 1867, Mr. Bauscher married (second) Salome (Altenderfer) Sassaman. She died April 6, 1908. To this union was born one daughter, Annie M.

Miss Annie M. Bauscher is a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1886. She taught school sixteen terms, and by appointment of the State superintendent of public schools was a member of the examining board for permanent certificates of teachers of Berks county for three years. She has traveled extensively, and is a lady of culture and refinement.

Daniel Bauscher, son of Henry and Sarah (Kunkel) was born on his father's farm in Albany township Oct. 18, 1860. He lived at home until the spring of 1886, when he began farming on his recent place, located near Trexler, in Albany township. He has 127 acres of good land in what is known as the "potato" belt. He plants from ten to twelve acres of this vegetable, and is prosperous. In politics he is a Democrat, and since 1908 has been a member of the school board. He and his family are member of New Bethel (Corner) Church, in Albany, belonging to the Reformed congregation, of which Mr. Bauscher was deacon for two years.

On Aug. 2, 1885, Mr. Bauscher married Louisa Stibitz, born June 2, 1860, daughter of John Stibitz, of Schuylkill county. They have had six children, all living, namely: Sadie J., William G., Abner N., Fred O., Mahlon A., and Mabel E.


BAUSHER, DEWALT PETER

p. 1693

Surnames: BAUSHER, WINK, STRAUSSER, MIX, BARD, REBER, STICHTER, MALLOY, MCFADDEN.

Dewalt Peter Bausher (deceased), a well-known traveling salesman, who represented the John H. Malloy Sons Company, of Philadelphia, was born in 1844 in Maxatawny township, near Kutztown, Pa., son of Jesse and Lucy (Wink) Bausher, natives of Berks county.

Peter Bausher, his grandfather, was also a native of Berks county, and a farmer by occupation, following this all his active life near Hamberg. Late in life he removed to Tamaqua, Pa., where both he and his wife died. He married Sophia Strausser, by whom he had the following children: Jesse, Lucy, Carolina, Solomon, Jacob, Eli, Polly, Sarah, Amelia, William, Peter, and Sophia. In religious belief their family were members of the Reformed Church. Politically Mr. Bausher was a Democrat.

Jesse Bausher, born Dec. 4, 1819, in Windsor township, followed farming in Maxatawny township. He married, in 1844 Lucy Wink, born March 6, 1813, daughter of Jacob and Maria Wink, and their children were: Dewalt Peter; Maria Anna, born Oct. 19, 1846, died Dec. 4, 1860; and Louisa, born Feb. 9, 1850, died June 4, 1861. In religious belief they were all members of the Reformed Church. Politically, Mr. Bausher was a Democrat. He died in Reading in November 1889.

Dewalt Peter Bausher was educated in the public schools of Maxatawny township and in the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. He also attended the old seminary conducted by Prof. Mix. After leaving school he worked on his father's farm until the fall of 1867, when he came to Reading and worked as a clerk first for Bard & Reber, and later for the Stichter Hardware Co. From 1884 Mr. Bausher traveled for various hardware stores of Reading, until in 1890, when he became connected with the John M Malloy Sons Company of Philadelphia, remaining with this firm until his death Feb. 6, 1908. Mr. Bausher was one of the best salesmen in his line, and was very well known to the hardware trade.

On Dec. 24, 1866, Mr. Bausher married Ellen McFadden, daughter of Charles and Lydia McFadden, and she died in 1888, aged forty years. They were the parents of two children: Walter Wink and Carmi Irwin. Mr.Bausher was a member of the Royal Arcanum, and the I. O. O. F., at Reading. In politics he was a staunch Democrat. Both he and his wife were active members of the Reformed Church, and she was a kind and devoted mother.


BAUSHER, SOLON DANIEL

p. 875

Surnames: BAUSHER, CETHAM, LAUBENSTEIN, DIETRICH, HARTZEL, ADAM, KOLLER, SEAMAN, STOYER, PETERS, RAUBENHOLD, KOCH, HEFFNER, CONFER, ILLIG, DIVES, POMEROY, STEWART, PENN, MILLER.

Solon Daniel Bausher, of Berks county, a leading manufacturer of underwear, proprietor of the Gotham Underwear Mill and Bleach Works, at Hamburg, Pa., was born March 5, 1869, in the borough of Hamburg, son of Jeremiah A. Bausher.

Daniel Bausher, his great-great-grandfather, was the progenitor of this family in America, coming from Germany. Tradition says that he emigrated about 1765 and that he was from the Palatinate. He had seven children, five of whom were: Philip, who settled on the old homestead in Albany; Jacob, who settled in Windsor; Anthony, who removed to Westmoreland county, PA.; Henry, who removed to Somerset county, PA; and Peter, who settled in Hamburg.

Of these, Philip Bausher bought land from the Penns in Albany township, Berks county, which is still in the family name. He had these children: Jacob; Christian, born 1799, who died in 1875; Maria, who married Peter Laubenstein; Kate, who married John Dietrich; Rachel, who married John Dietrich; and Leah, who married John Hartzel. Christian Bausher, the second son of Philip, obtained the old homestead. His children were: Catherine, Lydia, Abby, Nathan and Henry, the latter of whom, born in 1832, obtained the old homestead on which he has lived to this day. He is the father of six children: Daniel, Wallace, Thomas, Miss Annie (a well-known school teacher of Berks county), and two sons, Lewis and Oliver, who died young.

Jacob Bausher, great-grandfather of Solon D., was a large landowner, and was well known in his day. His son, Daniel, born at Windsor Castle, was also a large landowner and extensive farmer, and was a veterinarian. He was one of the organizers of the Windsor Mutual Horse Company, and was a prominent man of his district. He was married to Hannah Adam, daughter of Jacob Adam, of Perry township, and they had these children: William, Franklin, Jeremiah A., David, Jacob, Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Sarah, Lovina, Amelia, Andora, and Elementa (who died in childhood).

Jeremiah A. Bausher was born at Windsor Castle, Berks county, Oct. 23, 1846, and was educated at the local schools and later at the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, PA. He then taught school for three terms, and in 1868 engaged in the general merchandise business, at Five Locks, below Hamburg, continuing there for one year. He then formed a partnership with A. S. Koller, under the firm name of Koller & Bausher, and engaged in a general merchandise business at Garfield, Berks county, Pa., this partnership lasting two years, at the end of which time Mr. Bausher removed to Hamburg, to engage in the grain and coal business. There he has continued successfully ever since. In 1899 he and Moses Seaman formed a partnership under the firm name of Bausher and Seaman, engaging in the manufacture of high-grade brands of flour, and this partnership lasted until the fall of 1906, when Mr. Bausher was elected to the office of recorder of deeds of Berks county in which position he has served faithfully and efficiently to the present time. In May 1867, Mr. Bausher was married to Sarah Stoyer, daughter of Benneville and Catherine (Raubenhold) Stoyer, and to this union were born children as follows: Marice, who died aged eleven months; Solon D; Harvey L., who married Susan Peters; and Evan, who is unmarried.

Solon Daniel Bausher was reared in the borough of Hamburg, and received his education public schools. When but thirteen years of age he became a clerk in the general store of Aaron Koch, with whom he remained for two years, when he engaged with Daniel A Heffner, a merchant of Hamburg, in whose employ he continued for three years. He then engaged with the Pennsylvania Railway Company, as billing clerk at Phoenixville, remaining in that employ for two years, when M. A. Confer, of Hamburg, offered him a better salaried position in his large department store, which he accepted, continuing there for three years. J. C. Illeg & Brother, the well-known merchants of Reading, were his next employers, and he acted as buyer of suits and cloaks for this firm until 1893, in which year he associated himself with the mercantile house of Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart, of Reading. Mr. Bausher has charge of the suit and cloak department, doing all the buying of cloaks, suits, furs, ladies' waists and wrappers, has a large force of clerks under him, and has made this department one of the largest and most profitable of the big store.

From youth Mr. Bausher has been enterprising and industrious, and after school hours during his boyhood managed to carry the 'Reading News' to many readers in Hamburg every night. As mentioned at the opening of this sketch, Mr. Bausher is proprietor of the Gotham underwear mill and bleach works, now reckoned among the leading industries of Hamburg. He is a director of the Berks County Trust Company, of Reading, and of William Penn Fire Insurance Company, of Pottsville. In politics he is a stanch Democrat and has served the borough of Hamburg as director for six years, being president of the board for one year and its treasurer for four years. He was a delegate to a number of county conventions. He is a zealous campaigner, and his father's election to the office of recorder of deeds of Berks county, was due in a great degree to his untiring efforts.

Mr. Bausher and his family are members of the First Reformed Church of Hamburg, of which he has been deacon for three years and ever a staunch supporter. Mr. Bausher and his family reside in their fine residence on North Fourth street, Hamburg.

On Aug. 22, 1895, Mr. Bausher was united in marriage with Cora E Miller, only daughter of Charles N. and Elizabeth (Becker) Miller and to this union have been born two bright sons, Charles R. and J. Lee.


BAUSHER, THOMAS C.

p. 762

Surnames: BAUSHER, SUMMONS, HAAGE, TOMNEY, SPYKER

Thomas C. Bausher, a plumber and gas, steam and hot water fitter of Reading, Pa., whose place of business is situated at No. 105 North Sixth street, was born April 12, 1873, in Norristown, Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania.

Mr. Bausher received his education in the schools of Montgomery and Berks counties, and when a boy clerked in his native city in a cigar store. In 1889 he came to Reading and apprenticed himself to E. S. Summons, a plumber, and with him served his time for four years. He then engaged with Haage & Tomney, with whom he remained for about seven years, when he returned to the employ of Mr. Summons, continuing with him about six years. In October, 1904, Mr. Bausher opened his present business at No. 105 North Sixth street, with a complete line of plumbing and steam and hot water heating supplies. Mr. Bausher is an expert in his business, and his trade has grown to such proportions that he has been compelled to hire from three to five men to assist him. Mr. Bausher is a member of the Master Plumbers Association and is secretary of the local at Reading; is connected with Friendship Fire Company, of which he was president from 1896 to 1897; is a member of the Knights of Malta and the P. O. S. of A.; and is also identified with the Reading Firemen's Relief Association.

In 1898 Mr. Bausher was married to Sarah Spyker, and to this union there have been born four children: Earl F., Helen M., Florence, and Ralph (died in infancy). Mr. Bausher and his family are members of St. Paul's Reformed Church. The success which Mr. Bausher has gained is but the just due to an ambitious, honest man, who through his own enterprise and energy has worked his way to the top. He may truly be called a self-made man.


BAVER, ALFRED

p. 1231

Surnames: BAVER, FOCHT, BOYER, SPOHN, SMITH, DIETRICH, HIMBY, LENHART, REESER, BALTHAUSER, MILLER, KELLER, APPEL, FOCHT, ALBERT

Alfred Baver, of Greenwich township, who owns and operates an excellent farm of 154 acres, was born Feb. 4, 1864, in Perry township, son of Samuel and Lydia (Focht) Baver. Christopher Baver, grandfather of Alfred, was a resident of Perry township, and married Susan Boyer, by whom he had these children: John, Polly, Elizabeth, Joseph, Samuel, Daniel ( 1825-1899), Anna and Amelia. Polly married Daniel Miller, of Port Clinton, and is the holder of the family records. Samuel Baver, who was also a native of Perry township, was born in 1820 and died in 1898. He married Lydia Focht, who was born in 1818 and died in 1901, and they had the following children: Elias m. Elizabeth Spohn; John, m. Mary Dietrich; Samuel, m. Cordelia Smith; Emma m. Samuel Himby; Amelia m. William Lenhart; Ellen m. Milton Reeser; and Alfred S. Alfred Baver has been engaged in agricultural pursuits all of his life; and now owns a fine property of 154 acres, upon which is situated a large stone house, surrounded by a spacious, well-kept lawn, and other buildings, including a large wood and stone bank barn. Mr. Baver has always been actively interested in township matters, and has served as tax collector, register, assessor and delegate to county conventions. He is a member of Friedens Lutheran congregation of Lenhartsville. In 1886 Mr. Baver was married to Susan Boyer, and they have the following named children: Edna, a successful school teacher, who obtained her training in the Keystone State Normal school; Leon, born in 1891; Percy, 1893; and Merkie, 1904. Jacob Boyer, the grandfather of Mrs. Baver, was born July 11, 1780, and died in 1856, and his wife, Sarah (Balthauser) Boyer, was born in 1778 and died in 1862. Their son Daniel, Mrs. Baver's father, was born in 1823 and died in 1904. He married Mary Miller, born in 1828, who died in 1896, daughter of William and Mary (Keller) Miller the former of whom died in 1873 and the latter in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Boyer had these children: Susan m. Mr. Baver; William m. Diana Appel and has three children, Wilson, Calvin and Morris; John; and Elias m. Anna Focht and has one daughter, Laura, the wife of William Albert.


BAVER, DAVID E.

p. 905

Surnames: BAVER, FOCHT, BOYER, STITZEL, MILLER, MARSHALL, SMITH, WOLFE, SCHAPPELL, LUCKENBILL, SEIDEL, WILLIAMS, STARR, RAUSCH, GERHART, BECKER, SALLADA

David E. Baver, a weIl known citizen of Windsor township, who conducts a farmers' dairy and a small farm, situated along the State road, east of Hamburg, was born Jan. 20, 1860, on the old Baver homestead, son of Joseph and Mary (Focht) Baver.

Christopher Baver, grandfather of David E., was born Jan. 14, 1777, and died March 5, 1865, after a lifetime devoted to farming and blacksmithing. He is said to have been an excellent mechanic, and to have enjoyed a large trade, the blacksmiths at that time being very scarce and living far apart. He also raised considerable flax, which was woven into clothes in the winter months by his faithful wife. On July 14, 1805, Christopher Baver married Susanna Elizabeth Boyer (born Jan. 6, 1787, and died Jan. 25, 1865). These sturdy pioneers lived together for the unusual period of fifty-seven years, seven months and twenty-one days, their married life being made happy by the birth of the following children: Polly (m. Jacob Stitzel); Samuel (m. Lydia Focht); John (m. Hannah Focht); David (m. Maria Miller); Elizabeth (m. Jeremiah Focht); Daniel, born in 1825, died single in 1849 ; Joseph (father of David E.); Ann (m. Jacob Miller); and Amelia (m. Bill Marshall) .

Joseph Baver, who was a blacksmith, a trade he had been taught by his father, owned the old Baver homestead now in the possession of Albert Smith, of Windsor township, this farm consisting of 110 acres which Mr. Baver worked with. the assistance of his children. A disastrous fire occurred on this place in May, 1888, in destroying all of the buildings, even the pump being burned, the furniture in the house and the contents of the barn and outbuildings, the poultry, a mule and a calf. The fire which was caused by the children who were left alone in the house, occurred on a windy day and it was impossible to check it. This was a very severe blow to Mr. Baver, as there was little insurance on any of the property. He was well and favorably known in his community, serving his district as school director and auditor, and was captain in the State Militia, belonging to one of the companies from upper Berks county. He was deeply interested in public matters, and took a prominent and influential part in politics. Mr. Baver married Mary Focht, daughter of Jeremiah Focht, and to them were born children as follows: Amanda (m. Samuel Wolfe); Frank (m. Priscilla Schappell); Simon, twin of Frank (m. Annie Luckenbill); Alfred F. (m. (first) Ellen Seidel, now deceased, and (second) Lizzie Williams); Joel (died aged twenty-five years); Sarah (unmarried, keeps house for her cousin, Frank Focht); David E.; Louisa (widow of William Starr); Senora (m. Jacob Rausch); Andora (m. Thomas Rausch); Samuel (died of whooping cough when a child).

David E. Baver was educated in the local schools and at the age of twenty-two years learned the trade of coach-maker from his brother, who had a large shop on the old homestead. He worked at this trade for six years, and in 1886 commenced farming on his father-in-law's estate, and after the latter's death, Mr., Baver purchased the property. It consists of thirty-two acres of fertile land, and because of the richness of the soil, its proximity to Hamburg, the excellent buildings thereon and the beautiful lawn surrounding the residence, this home has been admired by visitors to the community. Mr. Baver also owns 4 acres of woodland in the Blue mountains. He has a home cream separator and with his own milk and that brought him by farmers of his vicinity he manufactures a line of quality peanut butter that is in much demand. He also deals in eggs and produce, being a sort of clearing house for the agriculturists of his district. Mr. Baver is an honest, industrious and enterprising citizen, of much business acumen, and he is held in high esteem by his fellow townsmen. In political matters he is a Democrat and supports the ticket of that party loyally. He and his family are Lutheran members of St. John's Union Church of Hamburg, of which Mr. Baver has always been a liberal supporter. Mrs. Baver is well known in church and society circles, and she and her husband have many friends.

On Dec. 4, 1866, Mr. Baver married Miss Mary M. Gerhart, daughter of Francis S. and Diana (Becker) Gerhart, and granddaughter of Jacob and Mary (Sallada) Gerhart. To this union there has been born one son, Earl Raymond, Nov. 21, 1899.


BEADENCUP, HENRY A.

p. 737

Surnames: BEADENCUP, PRINTZ, GRANT, HESS, HARTZ, RIMBY, SNYDER, SEIDEL, BUCHANAN

Henry A. Beadencup, who for ten years prior to his death, May 9, 1900, was engaged in farming at Birdsboro, Pa., was born in the city of Reading, Nov. 11, 1835, son of Henry A. and Sarah (Printz) Beadencup.

Henry Beadencup was a puddler by trade, but in later life located on a farm in Robeson township, where he died in the faith of the Reformed Church.

Henry A. Beadencup was reared in his native city. As a boy he had followed canal boat driving, later becoming master of the boat. He then learned the puddling trade at Birdsboro, which he followed for a period of thirty-five years. In 1890 he relinquished his trade to give attention to his farm in Birdsboro, where his death took place ten years later. He was a Republican in politics, and served efficiently as a member of the borough council, and was fraternally connected with the I. O. O. F., Neversink Lodge; and Chandler Lodge of Masons, No. 227, of Reading.

On May 9, 1857, Mr. Beadencup married Margaret Elizabeth Grant, daughter of George and Mary (Hess) Grant, who lived in Birdsboro from the time she was thirteen years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Beadencup had but one child, Sarah, who died when six years of age. Mrs. Beadencup was a faithful member of the Birdsboro Methodist Episcopal Church and was well known in church and charitable work. She died Nov. 21, 1908, at the age of sixty-eight years.

Lewis Grant, Mrs. Beadencup's nephew, who conducted the farm after Mr. Beadencup's death, was born in May, 1865, in Birdsboro, son of John and Susan (Hartz) Grant, and was educated in Birdsboro. He was married in 1886, to Miss Ida Rimby, daughter of Jacob and Mary Ann (Snyder) Rimby, by whom he has had seven children: Nora, m. to Harry Seidel; Anna, single; Margarett, m. to William Buchanan; Iva, single; Harry, Lewis, and Catherine.


BEAR, GEORGE WASHINGTON

p. 1126

Surnames: BEAR, BAER, KNERR, ADAM, BEIDEMAN, KELLER, YEAGER, KELCHNER, BOWMAN, HAINS, TREXLER, FISTER, HATZFIELD, WESTLEY, RUMBEL, HOLLENBACH

George Washington Bear, a well-known and highly esteemed citizen of Hamburg, Berks county, who is successfully engaged in the hotel and restaurant business, was born Feb. 22, 1860, in the borough of Hamburg.

Hans Bear came to this country Sept. 20, 1743, on the ship "Phoenix" from Germany, and soon after landing settled in Weisenburg, Lehigh Co., Pa.

Jacob Bear, son of Hans and great-great-grandfather of George W., was a farmer of Weisenburg. He had six sons and six daughters, and to each of the former he was able to give a farm.

Johan Adam Bear, one of the six sons of Jacob, was born in Weisenburg in 1770, and in 1812 removed north of Kutztown, in Maxatawny township, Berks county. He married a Miss Knerr, and they had children as follows: Jonathan, Eva, John, Peter, Solomon, Lydia, Betsy, Charles, Susanna and Polly.

John Bear, son of Johan Adam, was an early resident of Albany township, Berks county, and was a carpenter by trade. He married Catherine Adam, daughter of Henry Adam. Their children were: Solomon, Sarah, Peter, Henry, Catherine, Joel, John, Nathan, Lucy, and Dr. Samuel A. Nathan Bear, son of John and Catherine (Adam), was born in 1832, in Albany township, Berks county, and received his education in his native place. When about twenty-two years of age he located in Hamburg, and clerked in Major Beideman's store, where he remained until becoming engaged in the mercantile business for himself, in which he continued until 1884. At this time he removed to Wilmington, Del., to engage in the life insurance business, in which he successfully continued until a few years prior to his death, in 1903. Nathan Baer was an energetic, enterprising business man, honest and upright in his dealings, and a good citizen. He married Elvina Keller, daughter of Daniel and Catherine Keller, and nine children were born to this union: Catherine died in infancy; Lizzie m. James Yeager, of Wilmington, Del.; Miss Annie resides in Wilmington; Lovina m. James Kelchner (deceased), of Hamburg; Phoebe m. George Bowman, of Hamburg; John A. m. Lillie Hains, of Johnstown; George Washington; Calvin D. m. Lizzie Francis; and Thomas J.

George Washington Bear was educated in the public schools of Hamburg, and later attended Oley Academy at Friedensburg, Berks county, leaving school at the age of seventeen years, to work in his father's dry goods and grocery store. Here he remained for a period of six years, and at the end of this time engaged in the hotel and restaurant business for himself, in which he has continued successfully to the present time.

Mr. Bear is a good business man and an upright citizen. Personally he is a man of commanding appearance, standing six feet, one and one-half inches, and being proportioned accordingly, weighing 215 pounds. He has a kindly, genial, courteous manner and has many friends in the community.

On Jan. 23, 1883, Mr. Bear was married to Annie C. Trexler, daughter of Nelson and Cordelia (Fister) Trexler, and to this union have been born: Hattie W.; Ralph J.; Harold T., and Nelson W. Nelson Trexler and his wife were the parents of these children: Ella, m. to Dr. J. A. Hatzfield, of Pueblo, Colo.; Annie m. to Mr. Bear; Lizzie, m. to A. P. Westley, of Hamburg; James G., m. to Millie Rumbel; and Franklin J., m. to Laura Hollenbach.


BEAR, ISAAC

p. 813

Surnames: BEAR, KUTHNER

Isaac Bear, Reading's leading shoe merchant, whose place of business is situated at No. 634 Penn street, is a native of the state of Maryland, born in 1868, son of Hartz Bear, who came from Germany.

Isaac Bear received his education in the schools of his native locality, and at the age of fourteen years went to Washington, D. C., finding employment in a store there for three years. Returning to Baltimore, Md., Mr. Bear was employed by his brother, M. H. Bear, who was a leading shoe merchant of that city and remained with him ten years, coming to Reading in 1899. He purchased the Comfort Shoe Store, remodelling it, and restocking it with a full line of first-class shoes, and here he has continued to the present time with much success. His establishment, which is four stories and basement, 30 x 144 feet, is fully equipped with the most modern fixtures and appurtenances, and during the busy season he employs twenty-one clerks, as well as a skilled shoemaker for special work. His specialty is good honest shoes for men, women and children. Mr. Baer has an honestly won reputation for first-class goods, and his business, already of large proportions, is constantly growing.

In 1899 Mr. Bear was married to Miss Mamie Kuthner, of Rome Ga., and to them one son has been born, Ivon K. Mr. Bear is a member of the Masonic order, being connected with George's Creek Lodge, No. 161, F. & A. M., and Garfield Chapter No. 115. He is also a member of Reading Lodge, No 115, B. P. O. Elks.


BEAR, JONATHAN C. (LIEUT.)

p. 725

Surnames: BEAR, KERSHNER, BAER, FETTER, HARTMAN, KNERR, SCHOLLENBERGER, ADAM, STOYER, SMITH, SCHUBERT, EVERHART, LEMKE, SEDGEWICK, MOGEL, MACHAMER, BUTLER, DAILINS, BUCK

Lieut. Jonathan C. Bear, a substantial citizen of Windsor township, Berks county, and an honored veteran of the great Civil war, who is now living retired on North Third street, Hamburg, Pa., was born in Longswamp township, Berks county, Aug. 6, 1835, son of Charles Bear.

John (or Hans) Bear, great-great-grandfather of Lieut. Jonathan C., emigrated from Zweibrucken, Germany, landing at Philadelphia, Sept. 30, 1743, in the ship "Phenix." He lived for a short time at Germantown, but before 1750 he settled in Weisenburg, Lehigh county, his farm being what is now the Kershner farm about one mile south of Claussville. He had these children: Jacob; John, who removed to Windsor township, where his descendants may be found today; Adam, who removed to about two miles northwest of the old home on what is now the Peter F. Baer farm; and Barbara, who married Henry Fetter and lived in Allentown.

Jacob Bear, son of John, lived at Weisenburg, Lehigh county, and had twelve children -- six sons and six daughters. He was very well-to-do, and gave each one of his six sons a farm.

John Adam Bear, son of Jacob and grandfather of Lieut. Jonathan C., was born in Weisenburg township, Lehigh county, in 1772, and died in 1856. He removed to Maxatawny township, Berks county, in 1812, settling on what is now the Hartman farm, about one and one-half miles north of Kutztown, which he owned and cultivated for upwards of twenty years. He was married to Susanna Knerr, and they had these children: Jonathan, born in 1796, died in Greenwich township in 1878; Eva m. Jacob Schollenberger; John m. Katharine Adam; Peter lived in Raisin Center, Mich., and had nine children; Charles is mentioned below; Solomon was a large land-owner of Akron, Ohio; Betsy m. Solomon Stoyer and lived in Lockport, N.Y.; and Susanna m. Samuel Smith.

Charles Bear, son of John Adam, was born in Weisenberg township, Lehigh county, July 13, 1806. He was reared on his father's farm in Maxatawny township, receiving his education in the pioneer schools. He learned the trade of stone mason in early life, and this was his occupation throughout his active career. Of a very kindly and jovial nature, he had many friends, and is considered a man of high honor and good judgment.

Jonathan C. Bear attended the schools of his neighborhood, and was fortunate in having such well known educators as William Schubert, one of the brightest instructors in Eastern Pennsylvania, Adolph Everhart, and E. Lemke, as teachers. He worked on the farm until eighteen years of age, when he learned the stone mason's trade, afterward becoming a brick layer and plasterer, occupations which he followed for upwards of twenty years. In the spring of 1855 he first came to Hamburg, and here worked at his trades, helping to build over 150 houses, including three churches, and several schoolhouses, and in 1858 assisted in building the old church which was destroyed by fire in 1898.

Mr. Bear has been a lifelong Democrat, and served the borough one year as assistant burgess, one term as chief burgess, and one year as chief of police. He was also councilman for nine consecutive years and was chairman of the Finance committee, which graded the streets and put up the lights. He is a member of the First Reformed Church, and served nine years as Deacon and a like period as trustee thereof.

In 1855 Mr. Bear enlisted in the Hamburg Artillery, State Militia, and served in that company as third sergeant until the Civil was broke out. On Oct. 16, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, 96th Pa. V. I., and became its first sergeant. He was a gallant soldier throughout the war, and was mustered out Feb. 14, 1864. This discharge was by reason of re-enlistment, and afterward he served in Company G, 95th Pa. V. I., and was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant, in which capacity he continued until July 16, 1865, when he was discharged with the rest of his company. During the year 1864 he was signal officer of the Sixth Army Corps. under General Sedgewick, a position in which he served satisfactorily until he was called to the position of interpreter, which he obtained through a competitive examination. Lieutenant Bear participated in the following battles: Gaines' Mills, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Crampton's Pass, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Culpeper, Warrenton, and the whole of the Wilderness Campaign. His last battle was at Fort Steadman. His record was exceptionally good, and outside of a veteran furlough, was never absent from his regiment for a single day.

On Dec. 13, 1856, Lieutenant Bear was married to Caroline M. Mogel, daughter of Daniel and Polly (Machamer) Mogel, and Mrs. Bear died without issue in 1892, in the sixty-third year of her age. Mr. Bear adopted her niece, Ida K. Butler, who is now the wife of J. Jerome Dailins, and has these children: Caroline Butler and Harold W. On Feb. 14, 1895, Mr. Bear was married (second) to Hettian Buck, who died June 24, 1901, when sixty three years old . Lieutenant Bear resides with Mrs. Dailins, his adopted daughter, on North Third street, Hamburg, in a house which he has owned since 1858.


BEAR, LEVI W.

p. 1694

Surnames: BEAR, BAAR, WILLIAMS, GICKER, WERT, ALBRIGHT, PIFFLIN, SNYDER, LUDWIG, GRUBER SCHELL, BALTHASER, HERBEIN, SPANGLER, HAFER, BOYER, KAUFFMAN, SCHAEFFER, BUCKS, FOOSE, SOUSLEY, WERT

Levi W. Bear, who until his death, Sept. 30, 1908, lived retired near the "Six Mile House," in Maiden Creek township, was born in Bern township, Berks county, Jan. 20, 1832, son of John and Ann (Williams) Bear.

Abraham Bear (the name was then spelled Baar), the grandfather of Levi W., married and by his wife, Rachel, had the following children: Isaac m. Sallie Gicker, daughter of Daniel Gicker; Abraham m. a sister of Sallie Gicker; Joseph m. Mary (Polly) Wert; Molly m. Jacob Albright; Kate m. a Mr. Pifflin; Sarah m. Jared Snyder; and John is mentioned below.

John Baer was born in Bern township, and was a fence maker by occupation. He married Ann Williams, daughter of Samuel Williams, and they were the parents of: William, deceased; John, deceased, m. Elizabeth Ludwig; Levi W.; Daniel, deceased, m. Ella Gruber; Annie m. Elias Schell; Sarah m. Levi Balthaser; Percival m. Kate Herbein; Henry m. Leanda Spangler; and Mary m. William Hafer.

Levi W. Bear was reared and educated in Bern township, and there learned the trade of stone mason. Later he purchased a farm, situated about two miles north of Bernville, where he resided for two years, when he purchased a property in Penn township, near Bagenstose's Hotel, and another in Ontelaunee township. Mr. Bear was the owner of the farm in Maiden Creek township, upon which he was living at the time of his death, and also owned the old homestead in Bern township, which he purchased some years ago.

In 1860 Mr. Bear married Rebecca Boyer, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Boyer) Boyer, and to this union the following children were born: Lizzie m. Lafayette Kauffman; Katie m. Edward Schaeffer, and has three children, Helen, Mable and Bertha; Maggie m. Calvin Bucks, and has one child, Consuela; Deborah, deceased, m. Israel Foose; Irvin is unmarried; Emanuel; Oscar left home and it is thought he is deceased; and Clara m. Stephen Sousley, a cigar manufacturer of Hamburg, and has three children, the eldest named Earl. Mr. Bear, as is his family, was a member of Gernant's Reformed Church. In political matters he was a Democrat, but outside of township offices had no political aspirations.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:32 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.