Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery


p. 1067


Frank S. Barsotti, an energetic and enterprising business men of Reading, Pa., extensively engaged as a dealer in fruit, was born in Lucca, Tuscany, in the northern part of Italy, Feb. 24, 1859, son of Stephen and Santa (Partssianna) Barsotti.

Stephen Barsotti was a native of Italy, where his whole life was spent, he dying there in September, 1905, in his eighty-ninth year. His wife died in 1876, aged fifty-five. In religious belief the family were devout members of the Catholic Church of Rome. Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Barsotti were the parents of five children, three of whom still survive, namely: Robert is a resident of Italy; John, a manufacturer of Ornamental statuary, resides in Baltimore, Md.; and Frank S.

Frank S. Barsotti came to America in 1885, on the steamer "Estella," landing in New York. Having learned the trade of sculptor while in his native country, he at once engaged in the manufacture of ornamental statuary, being an expert in his line. He followed this business for several years, until he had accumulated a sufficient amount to enable him to enter his present business. Seeing a good opening at Williamsport, he located there in 1890 and remained until 1894 in which year he came to Reading, and in company with P. Denino & Bro., engaged in business at the corner of Seventh and Penn streets. Wishing to engage in business on his own responsibility, the partnership entered upon with Denino & Bro. was dissolved, and Mr. Barsotti has since conducted his business alone. He has been very successful in this venture, and through frugal habits and a straight-forward way of doing business has accumulated a comfortable income. He owns two fine residences in Reading, and commands some of the city's best trade, handling only first-class fruits, both domestic and imported, and all varieties are kept during the seasons.

Mr. Barsotti was married in September, 1896, to Anna E. Roshorn, daughter of Jesse Roshorn, of Ephrata, Lancaster county. Both Mr. and Mrs. Barsotti are members of the First United Evangelical Church of Reading, and both take a deep interest in religious work. Mrs. Barsotti is a member of the Missionary Society and is an enthusiastic worker in the cause of Temperance. Her father was a cigar manufacturer of Lancaster county and died in 1882. He married Catherine Hullenbach, and seven children were born to the union: Frank, Emma, Lefevre, George, Catherine, Anna E. and Ella. Mrs. Catherine (Hullenbach) Roshorn was a granddaughter of Johannes Strauss, founder of Strausstown, who came to America in 1717 and settled near Bernville, his land being still in the possession of members of his family. The Strauss family were the first to build Blue Mountain Church, and all their children were baptized there in the Lutheran faith, and many of them buried there.

Mr. Barsotti has traveled extensively in the Old World. In 1873 he visited Bavaria, Germany, remained four years in Berlin, and saw Dresden, Amsterdam, Holland, Stockholm, Sweden, and London. He is well posted on the manners and customs of the people of the countries he has visited, and is a very pleasing conversationalist.


p. 1355


Frederick Barth, deceased, who was for many years engaged in the contracting business in Reading, and who was a veteran of the Civil war, was born in Reading, Pa., in 1847, son of Everhart and Catherine (Eppler) Barth.

Everhart Barth was a native of Germany, and when a young man came to America, landing at Castle Garden, New York City, from whence he came at once to Reading, settling at Twelfth and Buttonwood streets. He was a stone cutter by trade, and that occupation he followed for some time, later engaging in the stone business. He later sold his property in Reading and purchased a vineyard in Alsace township near what is now the borough of Mr. Penn, from John Fair, and there he remained until his death, which occurred in his seventy-first year, his wife passing away when seventy years old. They had the following children: Frederick; Carrie, m. John Fair; Henry; Mary, wife of Calvin Caldin; John, and Ellen.

Frederick Barth attended the schools of his native city and then engaged in teaming for a time, later going to the Scott works; while there he enlisted for service in the Civil war under the name of Frederick Bard. He enlisted in Co. B, 205th P. V. I., and was honorably discharged at Alexandria, Va., June 2,1865. While in the army Mr. Barth contracted rheumatism, from which he never fully recovered. On his return he was employed at the "Mineral Springs Hotel," and while there he was married in October, 1867, to Miss Barbara Spearley, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Maurer) Spearley. After his marriage he engaged in the hotel business on his own account for nine years, then going into the mercantile business, at which he continued seven years. For the next nine years he was employed in his father's vineyard in Alsace township, after which he returned to Reading and was for four years in the mercantile business. Then he engaged in the contracting business, digging cellars, with Henry Schaeffer, and they became the leading men in their business in the city. The partnership continued eight years, after which Mr. Barth continued the business alone, becoming very successful. At a later time Mr. Schaeffer joined Mr. Barth for eight months again, but at the time of his retirement, in 1903, he was doing business alone. He then was for two years foreman for Adam H. Leader in the same business, but in 1905 he re-engaged in business on his own account, and continued therein until his death, Sept. 2, 1905. He was well-known in Reading, where he had the esteem and respect of his fellow citizens. In 1891 he built the home where his family now reside, No. 1327 Buttonwood street. He was religiously connected with the Lutheran Church. He was a member of the Rainbow Fire Co., and the Veteran Fireman's Association. In politics he was a Republican.

Mr. Barth's children were; Frederick, deceased; Clara, wife of Augustus Hare; John; Ella, deceased; William, who resides with his mother, is conducting his father's business; Aaron; Henry, a carpenter by trade, employed by the P. & R. Co., resides at No. 418 Linden street, Reading; Susan, at home; and Frederick, a carpenter of Reading.


p. 1550


Henry E. Barth, a well known resident of Twenty-third street, Mount Penn borough, where he has made his home since 1900, has for the past several years been employed by the American Amusement Company, at Carsonia Park. Mr. Barth was born Dec. 4, 1855, in Reading, Pa., son of Everhart F. and Caroline (Epple) Barth.

Everhart F. Barth, who was born Feb. 4, 1823, Wittenburg, Germany, came as a young man to America and landed after a sixty-two days' voyage at Philadelphia. After a few months in that city he came to Reading, and followed stone-cutting and, in the winter months, butchering. In 1873 he located upon John Fair's vineyard property along Mount Penn, which he purchased the year following, and upon which he died Nov. 19, 1896. In 1878 the vineyard produced 3,700 pounds of grapes, and Mr. Barth made as much as 3,000 gallons of wine annually, which found a ready market in the stores of the vicinity. Mrs. Barth, who bore the maiden name of Caroline Epple, was a native of the same place as her husband and came to this country in the same ship. To them were born eight children: Frederick, deceased, who was a carpenter of Reading, m. Barbara Sparely; Caroline m. John Fair, a wine merchant of Reading; Mary died in childhood; Henry E.; Catherine died in childhood; John D. is a retired citizen of Mount Penn, whose sketch will be found elsewhere in this publication; Mary m. Calvin Canfield, the owner and operator of the old Barth vineyard; and Ellen, who is single, makes her home with Joseph D. Hornberger, of Cumru township.

Henry E. Barth attended the Reading schools until fifteen years of age, his last teacher being the Hon. James N. Ermentrout, President Judge of Berks county courts. After leaving school Mr. Barth began working in the Scott foundry, a branch of the Reading Iron Works, and there continued one and on-half years. In 1873 his parents removed to the John Fair vineyard, then in Alsace and later in Lower Alsace township, now Mount Penn borough, and here young Barth assisted his father until 1876, when he became employed by August L. Wentzel, on whose truck farm he worked for three years. In 1880 Mr. Barth began working for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, as blacksmith helper, a position he held until 1895. The following year was spent in Robeson township, where he farmed during the summer months and butchered in the winter. From 1896 to 1899 he was butcher and gardener at the Berks County alms house. Since 1900 Mr. Barth has made his home in Mount Penn, and owns a residence on Twenty-third street. In 1902 he became employed by the American Amusement Company, at Carsonia Park, where his sons are also employed. They are deputized by the county and have police authority.

In political matters Mr. Barth is a Democrat, and has been active in the ranks of his party, being chosen to positions of honor and trust by his fellow citizens. He was auditor of Lower Alsace township for six years and was constable for three years, serving in both offices at the same time. He was also first constable of Mount Penn and efficiently filled the office for three years. Mr. Barth was active in the organization of the borough and has ever been ready to assist in any movement calculated to advance its interests. He and his family are members of St. Mark's Church, of Reading, and he helped to organize Faith Lutheran Church, of which he was a deacon. He has been a trustee of Aulenbach cemetery since 1902.

On Sept. 2, 1876, Mr. Barth was united in marriage with Emma K. Hilbert, born July 31, 1858, daughter of John and Rebecca (Keehn) Hilbert and granddaughter of George and Nancy (Wessner) Hilbert. To them were born children as follows: Caroline R. m. John Phillips, a farmer of Bern township; John W. m. Katie Noll, of Mount Penn; Charles F. and Monroe G., single, are at home; H. Edwin died in 1902 at the age of sixteen years; Winfield L., Emma L., and Howard E. all died in infancy; Robert C. died Feb. 7, 1907, aged fourteen years, one month and twenty days; and Elsie M. died in infancy.


p. 930


John D. Barth, a retired citizen of Mount Penn borough, Berks Co. Pa., has been prominent in public affairs, and was for some years, superintendent of the famous Barth vineyard farm along the mountains of Mount Penn. Mr. Barth was born March 18, 1823, in Reading, son of Everhart F, and Caroline (Epple) Barth.

Everhart F. Barth was born Feb. 4, 1823, in Wittenburg, Germany, and when a young man came to America, landing after a sixty-two days voyage at Philadelphia, where he remained a few months. He then came to Reading, and followed the trade of stone-cutter, during the winter months following butchering. In 1873 he located upon John Fair's vineyard property along Mount Penn, which he purchased the year following, and he conducted this tract until his death, Nov. 19, 1896. Mr. Barth made as much as 3,000 gallons of wine annually, and it found a ready sale in the markets of the vicinity. In 1878 the vineyard produced 3,700 pounds of grapes. Mr. Barth was married to Caroline Epple, who was born in Wittenburg, Germany, and who came over to this county in the same ship as her husband. To them were born the following children: Frederick, deceased, who was a contractor of Reading, married Barbara Sparely; Caroline married John Fair, a wine dealer of Reading; Mary died in childhood; Henry E., a resident of Mount Penn, married Emma Hilbert; Catherine died in childhood; John E; Mary married Calvin Canfield, the owner and operator of the old Barth vineyard; and Miss Ellen makes her home with Joseph D, Hornberger, of Cumru township.

John D. Barth began to work when but eight years of age, hauling mason stones from the mountains with a three-horse team. He was a hard-working young man, and when only fourteen years old went out butchering among his neighbors, a trade which he has followed in season to the present time. He was known as an excellent sausage maker, and his services were much in demand, he being engaged on a number of occasions as far as a year in advance. He is a natural mechanic, and readily turns his hand to any work that he undertakes. He is a skilled horseman, and has trained many valuable animals, owning some of the fastest ever raised in this community. In 1873 Mr. Barth became the superintendent of the famous Barth homestead vineyard along the mountains of Mount Penn, caring for the thirty-five acres , seven of which were vineyard, and on this tract he remained until 1898, since which time he has done considerable work on the place on different occasions. Mr. Barth is a stanch Democrat, and takes a great deal of interest in the success of his party. He was constable of Lower Alsace township, and at the third election of the borough became a councilman. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church.

In the year 1880 Mr. Barth was married to Martha Reider, born July 20, 1857, daughter of Hiram and Lequetta (Fulton) Reider, and granddaughter of Daniel Reider, of Exeter township. To Mr. and Mrs. Barth were born three children: (1) Harry W., born March 4, 1881, was a school teacher, and is now a clerk for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad at Pine Grove, Pa.; he married Annie Ely. (2) Lizzie J., born March 13, 1883, died Jan. 30, 1885, and is buried at cemetery. (3) Elsie J., born Jan. 17, 1885, died Jan. 6, 1887.


p. 809


Rev. Joshua S. Bartholomew, of Virginville, Berks County, PA., was born March 22, 1863, at Bath, Northampton county, Pa., son of Joshua and Sarah Ann (Bleiler) Bartholomew.

Lewis Bartholomew, grandfather of the Rev. Joshua S., was born in 1790 and died in 1875. He was a life-long farmer in Northampton county.

He married Ann Smith, and they had six children, namely: Rebecca; Matilda (m. William Snyder); Joshua; Ann (n. Joseph Fehnel); Amelia (m. Edward Schearer); and Harrison (m. (first) Mary Ann Snyder and (second) Louisa Smith).

Joshua Bartholomew, son of Lewis, was born in Northampton county and resided near Bath, engaged as a farmer and blacksmith. He died in 1907.

He married Sarah Ann Bleiler, daughter of Solomon Bleiler, a farmer of Salisbury township, Lehigh county. They had five children as follows: Osborn, Oliver B., Lewis H., Alfred A., and Rev Joshua S.

The boyhood days of the Rev. Joshua S Bartholomew were spent in the town of his nativity and his early intellectual training was obtained in the public schools at Bath. Later he attended the Academy and Ursinus College, for a period of two years in the former department and two in the latter, after which he entered upon the study of theology in the same institution. After a rigid course of three years he was graduated May 8, 1900, and he was at once elected the Reformed pastor of the Lenhartsville charge which consisted of these six churches: Zions, in Perry township; New Jerusalem (Dunkels) in Greenwich township; Frieden's (Wessnersville) in Albany township; St. Paul's in Windsor township; New Jerusalem (Red Church) in Albany township; and St. Paul's Christian Endeavor Chapel, Virginville. His total membership numbers more than 700 souls. He visits different the charges regularly every few Sundays, according to a regular schedule, and there are many all through this section who watch for the approach of the faithful old sorrel horse "George", knowing that with it comes one whose sympathy in time of trouble is always ready, and whose advise and instruction have made many a path straight for those on whom life has laid heavy burdens. He resides in his own neat residence village of Virginville where he is held in the highest esteem. The Rev. Bartholomew is well fitted in every way for a ministerial life, possessing a pleasing and winning personality, and a scholarly eloquence that makes the preaching of the Word effective.

On Aug. 5, 1883, he married Mary J. Funk, daughter of Abraham and Sarah (Hower) Funk. To this union have been four children: Calvin S., Henry U., Ruth S., and Joshua F. Mrs. Bartholomew has one brother Jacob H. who is a miller at Weaversville, Northampton county.


p. 1225


Jonathan Barto, cabinetmaker, at Topton, one of the best-known citizens, was born Dec. 31, 1854, in Longswamp township, Berks Co., Pa., a son of John and Mary (Kramlich) Barto.

The grandfather, John Barto, was of Rockland township, Berks county, and he followed farming all his life, dying in 1868. He married Diana Angstadt and they had the following children: William m. a Miss Merkel; David; Joel m a Miss Dry; Jacob, unmarried, served in the Civil War; John; Obediah died at Louisville, Ky.; Amos resides in Berks county; Hannah m. David Kline; Helena m. Jacob Mertz; Catherine m. John Deysher; Esther m. Daniel Brown; Amanda m. Jonas Eckert; and Caroline m. Charles Heffner.

John Barto, father of Jonathan, was born on the old Barto homestead in Rockland township in 1828. He learned the shoemaking trade and when twenty-two years of age he came to Longswamp township and worked at it for Henry Durr. He married Mary Kramlich, a daughter of George and Judith (Walbert) Kramlich, who settled in this section when the country was in a wild state. Indians were numerous and the family saw much pioneer hardship. John Barto died Jan. 5, 1901, aged seventy-two years, three months and five days. His children were the following: Calvin, born July 8, 1853, died aged nine months; Jonathan; Henry, who died in infancy; Charles, born Dec. 25, 1857, died Jan 28, 1904, m. (first) Ella Butz, (second) Ella (Kirschner) Miller, (third) Ella Reeser; and Louisa, who died young.

Jonathan Barto attended the schools near his home through his boyhood, after which he was apprenticed to Tilghman DeLong to learn the cabinet-making trade and with this object in view he came to Mr. DeLong, July 26, 1875, and has continued in his employ ever since. He has seen the business develop step by step from the work done in an ordinary country shop to that turned out from the improved plant which is now operated with all kinds of modern machinery.

On Aug. 10, 1878, he was married to Cecilia Long, a daughter of David and Florenda (Fegley) Long, and they had ten children, namely: John D., born May 25, 1879, m. Caroline Durolf and they have four children, Willard, Edgar, Mary, and Ira; Catherine and Mary reside at home; Louisa, m. A. H. Barto and has two children, Clarence and Paul; Calvin, residing at Macungie, Pa., m. Ida Conrath and they have three children, Irvin, Paul, and Florence; Ambrose, Wallace, Wilson, and Florence O. reside at home; and Ellen m. Clarence Stauffer. Mr. Barto and his sons belong to the Lutheran church, while Mrs. Barto and the daughters belong to the Reformed. Mr. Barto is an active member of Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A.


p 1372


The Barto of Berks county are an old family of French Huguenot extraction. The French form of the name is Perdeau. Three of the name came to America in the early days, one John Barto locating in Berks county, PA., in 1730, one Isaac Barto prior to 1750, and one Nicholas Barto in 1778. The Isaac Barto mentioned was a large taxable in Oley township in 1759, in which year he paid 14 pounds tax. He was the great-great-grandfather of William Clarence Barto who lives near Barto, in Washington township, engaged in the growing of tobacco.

Isaac Bartow (as he spelled the name), a grandson of the Isaac just referred to, was born in Oley township, Aug. 17, 1786. In 1813 he moved from that township to Hereford (now Washington) township, where he purchased land and settled down for the remainder of his life, dying June 27, 1865. He owned 150 acres of land, was a prosperous farmer, and highly respected as a man. In 1812 he married Elizabeth Fegey, by whom he had two daughters, the mother and children all dying in April, 1838. On Nov. 24, 1843, Mr. Bartow married Magdalena Huber, and to this union was born one son, Abram H.

Abram H. Barto was born March 4, 1855. He began his education in the public schools, later attending Mount Pleasant Seminary and the Kutztown State Normal School, and in 1875 he took a scientific course at the Allentown Business College. He inherited his father's farm, which with the advent of the Colebrookdale railroad became very valuable. In 1868 the company surveyed its lines from Pottstown, via Boyertown, to a terminus on and near the western border of the farm, where a fine depot was erected. The road was soon completed, and in 1870 building lots were surveyed on the farm, a number being sold and built upon. The name of the station was changed from Mount Pleasant to Barto, as it has since been known, and the postoffice hears the same name. The place is now a thriving village, and much of its growth is due to Mr. Barto's enterprise. He was a church member and tool a deep interest in church matters and the welfare of the Sunday-school.

Mr. Barto married a Miss Stauffer, and they became the parents of three children, one son and two daughters, and the make their home in Reading.

William Clarence Barto, only son of Abram H. Barto, was born in Schultzville, in Washington township, May 10, 1885. He received his early education in the public schools of the city of Reading, whither he removed with his mother when five years old, and also took a commercial course at the Kerst National Business College, graduating in 1902. For one year he was engaged in clerking in the grocery store of his step-father, in Reading, for two years he sold liquor and for another year he sold jewelry for Loftis Brothers, of Chicago. In the spring of 1908 he commenced the cultivation of tobacco, of which he now makes a specialty. He planted ten acres, thus reviving the culture of tobacco in the upper end of the Perkiomen valley after that industry had been abandoned in this section for a period of thirty-five years. A considerable tobacco was raised in the old days, and as much as $1.25 a pound was paid for the product, but when the price dropped until it reached 25 cents a pound the culture died out and the art of growing the plant was almost forgotten. Mr. Barto, believing there is profit in the weed, is experimenting thoroughly with its cultivation. He has a fine place of 138 acres of clear farming land with fifteen acres of woodland.

In 1883 his father built a Swiss barn, 40 x 92 feet in dimensions, and also a good frame dwelling upon the place. It is well improved in every respect and is a valuable piece of property. On June 20, 1907, Mr. Barto married Miss Annie P. Schlegel, daughter of Edwin H. and Sallie A. (Miller) Schlegel, of Reading. Mr. and Mrs. Barto are members of St. Stephen's Reformed Church of Reading.


p. 913


Jonathan Bashore, a practical agriculturist of Bethel township, Berks Co., Pa., whose fine farm, the old Beshore homestead, was originally a grant from the Penns, was born Nov. 11, 1852, in Bethel township, son of Michael and Sallie (Kline) Bashore.

George Bashore, the great-grandfather of Jonathan K., received a grant of land in Bethel township, from the sons of Penn in 1747, where he spend the remainder of his life. He married and had children: Isaac, Jacob, John and Michael.

Michael Bashore, grandfather of Jonathan K., was born on this grant of land, and followed farming all of his life there, dying at the age of eighty-five years. He married a Miss Royer, who bore him seven children as follows: (1) George, a farmer and shoemaker, lived in Bethel township for some time, and died at the age of eighty-three years, the father of children as follows: William, John, Daniel, Carolina, Sarah and Mrs. Rigel. (2) Benjamin, a farmer of Ohio, had five children. (3) Jonathan, who resided in Bethel, married and had children: Levi, Amanda, Leah, Benjamin, Fianna, Henry, Emma and Wilson. (4) Daniel, also a resident of Bethel, and for many years a very prominent landlord on the road leading across the Blue Mountains to Pinegrove, Schuylkill county, died at the age of seventy-three years. He married a Miss Lesher and they had five children: Peter, Hannah, Sarah, Lovina and Eliza. (5) John died unmarried aged about sixty-five years. (6) Michael. (7) Hannah, who married John Keeny, died in 1905, aged eighty years, the mother of Tyrus, Michael, Fyetta, Hannah and Maria.

Michael Bashore, father of Jonathan K., was born in 1816, on the old homestead in Bethel township, and there he engaged in agricultural pursuits all of his life. He married Miss Sallie Kline, who still survives him and resides with her son, Jonathan K., being ninety years of age and enjoying very good health. She was born Nov. 3, 1817, daughter of Benjamin and Lizzie (Streiphauer) Kline. To Michael and Sallie (Kline) Bashore were born besides Jonathan K., the following children: Elias, who resided on his farm near Fredericksburg, died aged sixty-two years, the father of ten children; Eliza, m. William Murkey, and died young, leaving two children (her husband died in Virginia); Sarah, m. John Kline, and also died young, leaving two children, one of whom is living; Rebecca, m. Benjamin Moyer, resides in Kansas, and has four children, Frank, Milton, Charles and Rebecca; Israel resides in Missouri and has family; and Emma died young.

Jonathan K. Bashore was educated in the public schools and assisted his father on the home farm, where he was married, and where he has always lived. His wife was Mary Royer, daughter of Daniel and Anna (Royer) Royer, and to them there have been born the following children: (1) Calvin, a resident on one of the farms near his father's, was for some time engaged in school teaching. He then went to Huntingdon to finish his studies and enter a profession, but, failing health compelled him to remove to the farm, where he now is. He m. Miss Mary Reedy, and has three children---Ralph, Earl and Myrtle. (2) Cora m. Ira Gibble, of near Freystown, and has five children---Naom, Mary, Elmer, Paul and Stella. (3) Elmer, who resides at home, m. Emma Moyer, and has four children---Harvey, Herbert, Paul and Elmer. (4) Miles m. Miss Lizzie Price, and has four children---Edna, Stella, Verna and Lester. (5) Miss Mable lives at home. Harvey, Ella and Pamilla died young.

Mr. Bashore is a Republican in politics, and has been a delegate to county conventions and a school director, although the district is strongly Democratic. Like his father and grandfather he belongs to the Church of the Brethren.


p. 1391


Louis Battenfeld, the proprietor of a hotel on the corner of Reed and Walnut streets, Reading, was born April 19, 1852, in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. Henry Battenfeld, father of Louis, came to America in 1854. He went west where he remained until 1856, when he went to Reading and there resided until his death, which occurred in October, 1905, at the age of eighty-two years. Mr. Battenfeld helped to build the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, and to the close of his active life worked in the machine department of that company. He is buried in the German Lutheran cemetery. His wife was Catherine Mengle of Hesse-Darmstadt. They had one son, Louis.

In 1865 Mr. Louis Battenfeld came to America and for eleven years was engaged as a locksmith and hardware merchant at New Britain, Conn. He came to Reading in 1876 and entered the employ of the Reading Hardware Co., at the foot of Sixth street continuing in the lock department for nine years, resigning to accept a position with a Mr. Fitzgerald. With the latter gentleman he remained until 1887, when he left his employ to engage in the hotel business at No. 647 Walnut street, and was located at this number until 1890, in this year removing to his present property, which was formerly a private residence. Mr. Battenfeld remodeled the building, and is now operating a family hotel of twelve rooms. He has a first-class trade and also carried a finely assorted stock of wines and liquors, making a specialty of Moselle wine.

Mr. Battenfeld was married (first) in 1874, to Lena May, who died in 1876, aged twenty-two years. His second marriage was to Sophia Bernhardt, of Connecticut, who died in 1891, aged thirty-six years, and by whom he had seven children, two of whom survive: Henry and Gertrude. Mr. Battenfeld's third marriage was to Alice Boas, of Reading, daughter of Albert Boas, and to this union were born two children, one of whom, Lewis S., survives. He is attending school. In political belief Mr. Battenfeld is independent in city matters, voting for the man rather than the party, but in national issues he is a Republican. He is prominent in fraternal organizations, belonging to Reading Lodge, No. 115, B. P. O. E., Teutonia Lodge, No. 367, F. & A. M., and the Junior Fire Company. He formerly was a member of the I. O. O.. F. and the Harmonic Maennerchor, of which latter organization he was president for ten years, and of which he is now an honorary member. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:32 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404


Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.