Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

ANSPACH, THOMAS P.

p. 690

Surnames: ANSPACH, WALTERS, HUNTER, FORRER, LESHER, KINTZER, RIEGEL, SCHOLL, HIMMELBERGER, BEHNEY, BATDORF, KAUFFMAN, LAMBERTSON

Thomas P. Anspach, a leading business man of Womelsdorf, Berks Co., Pa., who is extensively engaged in the manufacture of cigars, was born in that town, March 19, 1858, son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Walters) Anspach.

The Anspach family of Berks county descends from one of the German emigrants that left their native country in the early part of the eighteenth century and came to New York, settling in the Schoharie Valley, where they lived for several years, steadily bringing that part of the country up to a prosperous condition. It was not long, however, before Governor Hunter inflicted upon them intolerable laws and terribly mistreated these sturdy, industrious setters, and in the fall of 1723, 150 families fled from the governor's jurisdiction and made their way across the forests into Pennsylvania, many of them settling in Bethel, Heidelberg, and Tulpehocken townships, in Berks county.

Among these early Pennsylvania settlers was George Anspach. Five years later, in 1728, came another large influx of these families, and among the latter was Leonard Anspach, who in 1759 was a taxable in Tulpehocken township, paying nine pounds. Also in this year the tax list registered the names of John and Peter Anspach, the former paying eighteen and the latter twenty pounds. One of these was the ancestor of Adam Anspach, grandfather of Thomas P. Adam Anspach and Philip Anspach were sergeants in Capt. Michael Forrer's Company of the Berks county Militia in the Revolutionary War, serving from June, 1780, until July 15, 1781. John Anspach, of Heidelberg township, was second lieutenant in Capt. John Lesher's Fifth Company of the Battalion of Berks county, May 17, 1777.

Adam Anspach, grandfather of Thomas P., was born on the Anspach homestead in Marion township, and is buried at Host Church. He was a lifelong farmer, owning the old homestead. He and his wife, Magdalena (Kintzer) Anspach, had a family of sixteen children, as follows: David, who had Eliza, Dietta, Sarah and Lucy; Jacob, who had three wives, and was the father of nineteen children; John, who had Eliza and Samuel; Samuel, who had Henry, Sue, Samuel, John and Emma; Adam, who had Cyrus, Catherine, Lillie; Jonathan, who was a bachelor; Joseph, who had four children; Isaac, the father of Thomas P.; Mary, who died unmarried; Sallie, m. to Samuel Riegel; Elizabeth, m. to Peter Scholl; Molly, who died unmarried at the age of twenty-one years; and four others who died young. Of this family, Jonathan and Mary lived together at Womelsdorf, both being now deceased.

Isaac Anspach, soon of Adam, was born June 16, 1819. He owned a cozy little farm of thirty acres lying in the borough of Womelsdorf, where he died May 27. 1881. He was a Lutheran in religious belief, and married Elizabeth Walters, born Jan, 8, 1824, died Dec. 30, 1899. They had four children, namely: Frank, born in 1846, died in 1852; Jonathan, born in 1850, died in 1852; Lizzie m. George Himmelberger, of Womelsdorf; and Thomas P.

Thomas P. Anspach obtained his education in the borough schools, and was reared upon the home farm, assisting his father. On reaching his fourteenth year he learned the cigar making business, and until 1886 he engaged in that business as a traveling salesman. In the year mentioned, Mr. Anspach began to manufacture cigars, in which business he has continued to the present time with much success. He owns a two-story factory on First street, where he employs half a dozen skilled mechanics, and disposes of his product through jobbers. He erected a fine brick residence at the corner of First and Franklin streets, Womelsdorf, in 1906, and here he and his family make their home. Until Sept. 12, 1905, he had his business on North Third street, when he was burned out, suffering a heavy loss. The two houses on the place had been standing there for upwards of 100 years.

Mr. Anspach is a member of Golden Rule Lodge No. 159, I.. O. O. F., and the Washington Camp No. 67, P. O. S. of A., both of Womelsdorf, having been connected with the former since 1977, and the latter since 1873. He and his family are attendants of Zion's Lutheran Church.

On Aug. 14, 1880, Mr. Anspach was married to Ida Behney, daughter of Milton and Rebecca (Batdorf) Behney, and to this union there were born three sons: Irwin M., a drug clerk of Womelsdorf, m. Annie Kauffman, of Millerstown, Perry Co., Pa.; Frank B., m. Olive Lambertson, of Mapleton, Huntington Co., Pa., and has had two children, Ida G. (deceased), and Thomas; and John I., unmarried, is a cigar maker by occupation.


ANSPACH, WALLACE M.

p. 1638

Surnames: ANSPACH, HOY, SCHOCK, SMITH

Wallace M. Anspach, a resident of Upper Tulpehocken township, where he is engaged in teaching and is also serving as justice of the peace, was born in Tulpehocken township, this county, Sept. 3, 1878.

William Anspach, his grandfather, lived in upper Berks county and followed farming in Tulpehocken township for some years, later moving to Bethel township, where his death occurred. He is buried at Rehrersburg, in Tulpehocken township, at the Union Church. He served as a Union soldier during the Civil war. His wife was Sarah Hoy, and they had one son Oscar.

Oscar Anspach was engaged as a clerk, and did day's work at Mt. Etna and Schubert, Berks county, at which latter place his widow still resides. Her maiden name was Maria Schock, and to them were born two children, Wallace M. and Normand, the latter now living on the homestead.

Wallace M. Anspach attended public school in his home township and the subscription school at Strausstown. He began teaching in 1895, and has followed that profession ever since, with eminent success, for he is heartily interested in his work. In 1901 he was elected justice of the peace, and still holds that office, for the duties of which he is well fitted. Mr. Anspach is one of the well known young men of upper Berks county, and in the pursuit of his vocation and social connections has make a wide acquaintanceship and formed numerous friendships. He is a member of the P. O. S. of A. and the I. O. O. F., has served as financial secretary of the former, and was a member of the building committee which had in charge the erection of the fine new Odd Fellows hall, also serving as financial secretary of that body. He is a member of the Citizens Band at Strausstown. In religious matters Mr. Anspach is identified with the Reformed denomination, and he is a prominent member of and worker in the Zion's Blue Mountain Union Church. He served on the building committee at the time the present edifice was erected, in 1904, was secretary and is at present a trustee of the church and has served as secretary of the church council since 1902.

In 1897 Mr. Anspach married Miss Mary Smith, daughter of Harry Smith. Three children have been born to them, Walter (deceased), Roger, and Paul.


ANTHONY, EDWARD L.

p. 1381

Surnames: ANTHONY, HOTTENSTEIN, SPAYDT, HERB, LEIBY, DOTTERER, FRY

Edward L. Anthony, miller of Forge Dale, Washington township, Berks county, was born Jan. 7, 1832, at the place where he now lives, son of Jacob Anthony. His grandfather lived in Lehigh county, Pa., probably in Weisenburg township, where his son Jacob was born. Among his children, besides Jacob, was a daughter Betzy, who married a Mr. Hottenstein, and they lived in the vicinity of Moselem, in Berks county.

Jacob Anthony was born in Weisenburg township, Leigh county, in 1792, and died in April, 1875. He was reared upon the farm, but began to learn the milling business in boyhood, and on coming to Forge Dale, in 1831, he bought the mill. It was formerly the Steltz mill property. Jacob Anthony conducted this mill successfully until his death, and the opinion of his neighbors as to his character is summed up in the name by which he was best known-"Honest Jacob." He was active in religious affairs as a Reformed member of Huff's Church, where he is buried. He was twice married, and by his first union had two children, one son and one daughter. The son, Charles, lived in Montgomery county, near Hoover's Church, where he is buried. Mr.Anthony's second wife was Maggie or Molly Lieby, born in 1798 in Weisenburg township, Lehigh county, died in 1863, and they had four children: Fietta married Benjamin Fry; Hannah, born in 1824, died in 1904, unmarried; Sarah L., born May 6, 1829, is unmarried, and lives in Forge Dale; Edward L. is mentioned below.

Edward L. Anthony received his early education at Forge Dale, in the pay schools conducted during his boyhood, and also attended the free school for a few winters. He learned milling early, assisting his father, and he has followed that business all his life, being now the proprietor of the Anthony mill which he bought upon his father's death. On Oct. 27, 1862, Mr. Anthony became a member of Company G, 16th Pennsylvania Regiment, and served nine and a half months, being mustered out at Reading Aug. 12, 1863. After his return home he farmed for his father as well as working in the mill.

The Anthony mill is one of the landmarks of the district. One of the large millstones bears the date 1793, and it is believed the mill was built before that time. Mr. Anthony is one of the respected residents of his district, where he has become widely known in his long connection with the mill business.

In 1863 Mr. Anthony married Anna Dotterer, daughter of Matthias and Kate (Herb) Dotterer, and five children have been born to them: Jacob A. M., now of Boyertown; Mantana, unmarried, who assists her parents at home; Sapora, married to Harry Spaydt, of Pottstown; Edward C, of Allentown; and Malara M., unmarried. This family belong to the Reformed congregation of Huff's Church, where Mr. Anthony served a number of years as elder.


ANTHONY, HENRY P.

p. 1142

Surnames: ANTHONY, NYCE

Henry P. Anthony (deceased) was for many years a valued employee of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company and one of the most trusted locomotive engineers on that line. He was born in 1825, at Morgantown, Pa., and until the age of twenty-one years remained on the home farm. He then went to Reading and for a time was employed on the Philadelphia & Reading line as a laborer, later worked for the road as foreman, and after six years experience was promoted to engineer. For many years Mr. Anthony followed this dangerous and responsible duty, during which period he had many experiences and very few accidents. In 1890 he retired from the service, followed by the respect and esteem of his employers. He died Sept. 7, 1904.

In 1856 Mr. Anthony was married to Mary Nyce, and they had thirteen children, as follows: Andora, deceased: Amelia; Frank; Ella, deceased; Catherine; Alonza; Anna, deceased; Henrietta, deceased; Mary, deceased; Charles; Alice; Edward, deceased; and Harry. Mr. Anthony was a hardy member of the Baptist Church. He belonged to both the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, and also to the Philadelphia & Reading Relief Association. His widow still survives, and resides at No. 148 West Douglas street.

NOTE: (PA Death Certificate: Mary Nice Anthony; Berks County, Registration District No. 233; Primary Registration Dist No. 49; Reading. Home address: 148 West Douglas St. 15535; File No. 87114535; Registered No. 1397) Mary Amanda (Nyce Anthony, widow of Henry Peter Anthony (who d. 1903, Berks County) b. 22 Jan, 1835, Montgomery County, PA; d. 17 Sept, 1921, Reading, Berks County, PA; Charles Evans Cemetery, Reading, Berks County, PA; C. I. Miller, undertaker; father, Samuel Nyce; mother Eliza Kope, both born in PA; Signed by F. S. Anthony). Contact: Verna Banes


ANTHONY, JOHN C.

p. 1406

Surnames; ANTHONY, SCHWARTZ, BRITTON, LEITZEL, BOYER, HECKMAN, SWEARER, BURKHART, VAN HORN, SMITH

John C. Anthony, who for a number of years was employed at railroading with the Philadelphia & Reading Co., was born in Reading, in December, 1830, and died Feb. 9, 1881, son of John Anthony, who was for a long time employed in the warehouse of the same company. John Anthony and his wife, Henrietta (Schwartz) had these children: George; William; Charles; Luther; Cyrus; Emma; John C.; Daniel; Thomas; James, and Henry.

John C. Anthony attended the public schools of Reading, where he learned the brush-making trade, a business which he followed for a few years in that city. He then went to Pottsville, where he was employed in the Philadelphia & Reading warehouse, and then returned to Reading, becoming a brakeman for the company on the Lebanon Valley branch. In this capacity he served on the first train to run over the Lebanon Valley bridge from Reading to Lebanon. He served in the company's employ for a period of thirty-one years, later running to Harrisburg, and met his death in an accident at the Reading yards, by being caught between two cars. He died seven weeks after the accident, Feb. 9, 1881, aged fifty-one years.

Mr. Anthony was married Jan. 13, 1856 to Miss Mary Ann Britton, daughter of John and Esther (Leitzel) Britton of Pottsville, Pa., and to this union there were born children as follows: Emma J., deceased, who was the wife of Michael J. Boyer, and had one son, Frank, who is a skilled sign-painter, and resides with his grandmother at No. 232 North Ninth street Reading, and who married Lydia Heckman; Albert who married Mary Swearer; and William, connected with the U. S. Army.

John Britton, the father of Mrs. Anthony, was a stonemason by trade, and later engaged in stone quarrying near Pottsville. He died at the age of sixty-nine years, while his wife attained the advanced age of ninety-three years. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Britton were: Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife off Jacob Burkhart; William, of New York City; Mary Ann, widow of John C. Anthony; Susan, deceased, wife of Charles Van Horn, of Philadelphia; John, deceased; Emma, wife of Lewis Smith, of Reading; and George, of New York City.


ANTHONY, WILLIAM B.

p. 598

Surnames: ANTHONY, REBER, LICHTENWALNER, WEBBER, MERTZ, BATTINGER, SPATZ

William B. Anthony, proprietor of the Strausstown Roller Mills, at Strausstown, Berks county, has been established there since 1894. He is a native of Northampton county, Pa., born October 6, 1862, son of Jacob Anthony. His grandfather lived and died in that county.

Jacob Anthony was born in Northampton county and there learned his trade of carpenter. He met an accidental death in the car shops at Packerton, when he was fifty-three years old, and he is buried at Cherryville, Northampton county. He was a member of the Lutheran Church and a most respected citizen. Jacob Anthony married Elizabeth Reber, and to them were born the following children: Catharine, Mary, Elizabeth, Lewis, Lucy, Malinda, William B., John and Ellen.

William B. Anthony attended the schools of Northampton county, and when twenty years old went to learn the milling trade, which has been his life work. He spent three years with the Mauser Mill Company at Treichlers, and then for two years was with the Wolfe Company of Chambersburg, founders and manufacturers of mill machinery, engaged as a salesman and in the erection of mill machinery. His next location was at Centerville, Md., where he remained for three years, thence moving to Cedarville, near Allentown, Lehigh Co., Pa., where he had charge of a mill for L. H.. Lichtenwalter for one year. At the end of that time we went to Womelsdorf, Berks county, where he engaged in business on his own account, staying at that place for three years, until he came to Strausstown in 1894. Here he bought out the Webber estate and engaged in the business to which he has since given his time. His mill is considered the most thoroughly up-to-date in the county, if not in the State, the present structure a three-story and basement stone and brick building, having been completed in 1907 and equipped with all the most approved modern machinery. The old mill was burned May 24, 1907, Mr. Anthony suffering great loss of both capital and business, but he did not despair or lose any time rehabilitating his establishment, beginning work upon his new mill in June, 1907. It is a model plant, equipped with a thirty horsepower auto gasoline engine and a large water-wheel, eighteen feet in diameter and for and a half feet wide, known as the I X L steel over-shot water wheel. Mr. Anthony manufactures and deals in high grade roller process flour for family and bakers' uses, also grain, mill feed and allied products. The brand of flour which he makes a specialty as a manufacturer is a fancy patent known as "Snoflake," for which there is a large and steady demand; it is sold mostly in Schuylkill county. There are fourteen acres of land connected with the mill property, about six acres being under cultivation. Mr. Anthony is a wide-awake business man, as his enterprising methods and large patronage testify. He stands high in the community, both as a man of intelligence and high standards, one whose work has contributed to the growth of his section.

Mr. Anthony married Mary A. Mertz, daughter of Reuben Mertz, of Lehigh county, Pa., and eight children have blessed this union: Harry W. (m. Florence Battinger), Ida M. (m. Howard Spatz), Bertha M., Howard J., Esther L., George M., Charles A. and Paul R. Mr. Anthony is a member of the Lutheran Church, and holds membership in the P. O. S. of A., the I. O. O. F., and the Ridgely Association.


ANTHONY, WILLIAM F.

p. 639

Surnames: ANTHONY, SPADE, SCHANTZ, PLASTER, FICK, SPATZ, EISENBROWN, GANTER, GOODHART, LOVERING

William F. Anthony, a contracting bricklayer of No. 327 North Ninth street, Reading, and one of that city's representative citizens, was born Dec. 7, 1849, in Bern township, Berks County, son of Thomas and Rebecca (Spade) Anthony.

John Anthony, grandfather of William F., was a railroad employe and worked for the Philadelphia & Reading Company many years. He died in Reading at the age of sixty years, he and his wife, Henrietta Schantz having been the parents of eighteen children, seventeen sons and one daughter, among whom were Thomas, Henry, George, William, Charles, Luther, Cyrus, John C. and Emma (m. John Plaster. of Huntington, Ind.).

Thomas Anthony was in his youth employed by the Philadelphia & Reading Company as fireman, and later promoted to the position of engineer, which he held until the time of his death, in his thirty-seventh year. His widow, Rebecca (Spade) Anthony, makes her home with hr youngest son, Daniel. Their children were; William F.; John; Selida m. George Fick; Daniel; and Rebecca, deceased.

William F. Anthony received his education in Reading attending night schools. At an early age he learned the trades of bricklaying and hatting, the latter with J. H. Spatz at Mohnton. After several years spent at the hatting trade, Mr. Anthony again took up bricklaying, and in 1871 engaged in contracting business. Two years later, however, he again engaged in hatting, but did not follow that occupation for any length of time. He once more took up bricklaying, and in 1904 again engaged in the business on his own account, now employing forty-seven hands. Mr. Anthony is very skilled in his work, and some of the finest buildings in Reading will testify to the fact. He erected the German Greek Catholic Church, and Eisenbrown marble plant (which is one of the finest and largest of its kind in the State), and the private residence of Mr. Joseph Ganter at Mt. Penn borough.

Mr. Anthony married Henrietta Goodhart, daughter of John N. and Sarah C. (Lovering) Goodhart, and they reside at No. 327 North Ninth street. Mr. Anthony organized Bricklayers Union, No. 21, and served as its first president. He is a member of the 1900 Beneficial Association; the Northeastern Democratic Association; and the Owls, and Turn-Verein Associations. In Political matters he is independent, voting for the man, regardless of party ties.


ARMSTRONG, EPHRAIM

p. 727

Surnames: ARMSTRONG, GOOD, HAAS, LOSER, FASNACHT, PELFER, ROCKTASEL

Ephraim Armstrong, who for many years was one of Reading's leading tailors, was born in Jonestown, Lebanon county, March 12, 1812 and died in Reading, Aug. 20, 1890. He came to Reading when ten years of age, and for a number of years clerked in his uncle's store, later learning the tailoring trade, in which he subsequently followed for thirty years.

Mr. Armstrong took an important part in the local affairs, being prominent in the ranks of the Democratic party, and serving as prothonotary of Berks county for some years, as school controller of the Fifth ward, and at the time of his death holding the position of school treasurer, having served in that capacity for many years with great credit. He was a very capable official and was painstaking in his methods. Mr. Armstrong was a life-long member of St. James Lutheran Church, holding the office of treasurer therein for a number of years.

In 1880 Mr. Armstrong married Mary A. Good, daughter of Bennewell and Catherine (Haas) Good, and to this union were born children as follows: Catherine; Sadie; and Lillie May. Benewell Good, Mrs. Armstrong's father, was a native of Lebanon county, and was extensively engaged in farming in the vicinity of Johnstown. He died aged sixty-two years, and she March 9, 1887, when seventy-three years of age. In religious beliefs the family were members of the Reformed Church. Mr. and Mrs. Good had children as follows: Sarah, m. to Josiah Loser; Mary A., Mrs. Armstrong; Amanda, m. to Henry Fasnacht; Amelia, m. to Henry Peifer; and Dr. Frank, of Reading, m. to Mary Rocktasel.


ARNOLD, FRED D.

p. 1057

Surnames: ARNOLD, STETTLER, SCHNEIDER, PEIFER, MOORE, KILLIS, STEPHEN, VESSEL, BURKHOLDER, REINHART, HOPKINS, FAUSNACHT, ANTHONY, GOOD

Fred D. Arnold, a well known resident of Womelsdorf, Pa., who is engaged in the undertaking business, and also carries on cigar making, was born Feb. 12, 1871, in Womelsdorf, son of William and Lizzie (Stettler) Arnold.

Martin Arnold, the progenitor of the Arnold family in Berks county, was a native of Germany and emigrated to America on the brigantine "Mary", which arrived at Philadelphia, Aug. 25, 1752. In 1759 he had settled in Heidelberg township, and in that year paid a federal tax of $7.98, or three pounds. It appears that he was married before his emigration. Among his children were: John had sons, Isaac, Daniel, William. Samuel, John, Henry and Amos; Jacob; and Rebecca married to Daniel Schneider.

Jacob Arnold, son of Martin, was born July 10, 1787, and died Jan. 15, 1850, aged sixty-two years, six months, five days. He was a brick-layer by trade, and built a house on Second street, Womelsdorf, where he died, and he was buried in the borough. Mr. Arnold saw service in the war of 1812, and was a good and upright citizen. He married Christmas Day, 1812, Eve Catherine Fidler, born in 1790, who died in Fairfield county, Ohio, in her eighty-fourth year. To them were born seven children: Eli died at Womelsdorf; Harry died in Fairfield county, Ohio; Lovina married Benjamin Peifer, and died in Marion township; Jacob married Catherine Moore, daughter of William Moore, of Reading, and died at Womelsdorf; Mary Ann married Fred Killis (whose father came from Germany and lived and died in Womelsdorf); William; and Daniel, twin of William, died in Fairfield county, Ohio, in 1905. All of the family is deceased, except for William who still lives in Womelsdorf.

William Arnold, father of Fred D., was born Nov. 2, 1822, in Womelsdorf, where he attended school for a limited period, his teachers being Walter Stephen and Francis Vessel, both natives of Ireland. They were strict disciplinarians and learned men. After leaving school William Arnold learned the cabinet making trade and the undertaking business at Stouchsburg, from Samuel Burkholder. He started in business at Womelsdorf in 1860, and he has since carried it on here, with the exception of the time he spent in the Civil war. When he first started in the business Mr. Arnold was in the service of a Mr. Moyer, who died years later, since which time Mr. Arnold's business has been the only one of the kind in the borough. He has buried over 1,700 people during his long career in the business, is the oldest undertaker in Berks county, and is widely known.

In 1862 Mr. Arnold enlisted in the civil war as a member of Company D, 55th P. V. I., and returned valuable services to his country, being twice wounded while in action, receiving a gun shot wound in the right arm at the battle of Duvall's Bluff and later a flesh wound in the side. He was foreman of the carpenters at Beaufort, S. C., for a period of eighteen months, having charge of thirty men. He was mustered out of the service at Richmond, Va., at the end of the war, with an excellent record. Mr. Arnold is a member of the New Lutheran Church.

In 1857 Mr. William Arnold was married to Lizzie Stettler, born May 13, 1832, daughter of Francis and Annie (Reinhart) Stettler, of England, whose marriage, however, took place at Pottstown, Pa., and they later resided at Bernville. Six children were born to this union, namely: Eva Ann married Samuel Kurtz, mentioned elsewhere; Francis J. is a shoe merchant of No. 706 Penn Street, Reading; Mary Catherine married (first) Elias Hopkins, of Shenandoah, Schuylkill Co., Pa. and (second) Charles Fausnacht, foreman of the Lebanon Stove Works; Sallie died in infancy; William E. is a resident of Womelsdorf; and Fred D.

Fred D. Arnold was educated in the borough schools, and when still a lad began to earn his own living, being reared to the undertaking business in his fathers establishment, of which he took charge in 1896, and which he has carried on with the same success that attended his fathers efforts. Mr. Arnold also learned the cigar making trade in 1888, and since Oct. 24 of that year has carried on in the employ of the Valentines. In politics he is a Democrat, and for three years served as school director. He holds office in Golden Rule Lodge No. 59, I. O. O. F., American Mechanics, No. 127, both of Womelsdorf; and the Ridgely Protective Association, of Worchester, Mass., which is a branch of the I. O. O. F. He and his family are Lutheran members of Zion's Union Church, Womelsdorf.

On July 1, 1893, Mr. Arnold was married to Annie Good, daughter of George and Rebecca (Anthony) Good, of Lancaster county. No children have been born to this union.


ARNOLD, JOEL A.

p. 1129

Surnames: ARNOLD, WALLBACH, KOHL, SEISZ, KOENIG, DELSCH

Joel A. Arnold, proprietor of one of the leading bakeries of Reading, Pa., was born in Bally, Berks county, in 1869, son of Joel Arnold.

Joel Arnold, the father, was a wheelwright by trade, following his business in Lebanon county and later in Berks county, where he died age twenty-nine years. Joel Arnold married Elizabeth Wallbach, and they had the following children: Malinda; George, a printer by trade, and a foreman on Long Island; Katie, wife of Henry Kohl, mentioned elsewhere; Augustus, of Reading, a bookbinder by occupation, and foreman at Wonnberger's; Joel A., and John and Mary deceased. After the death of Mr. Arnold, his wife married Benedict Seisz, and to them were born: John, Mary and Annie. Mrs. Seisz died at the age of fifty-three years.

Joel A. Arnold attended the parochial school at Reading, after leaving which he learned the baker's trade, but worked instead at cigar making, an occupation which he followed for twelve years. In 1898 Mr. Arnold engaged in baking, starting in business at No. 935 Walnut street. Here he erected a bakery 20x75 feet, of brick, and fitted it out with the most modern machinery, and he is doing a flourishing business, employing from twelve to fifteen hands, and four wagons daily. Mr. Arnold is well known as the maker of the famous Arnold's Milk Bread which has an enormous sale all over Reading.

Mr. Arnold married Miss Katie Koenig, daughter of Andrew and Mary A. (Delsch) Koenig, and to this union have been born these children: Joel, Raymond, Florence, George, Herman, and William. Mr. Arnold is a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church. He is fraternally connected with the Knights of Columbus.


ARNOLD, WILLIAM

p. 838

Surnames: ARNOLD, FICHTHORN, HOMAN, RITTER, RICK, SAUERBIER, MARKLEY, DAUTH, WELLS

William Arnold (deceased), who was for many years prominently identified with the business and political life of Reading, was one of a family long resident in Berks county. He was born in 1798, son of Nicholas and Barbara (Fichthorn) Arnold.

Nicholas Arnold was born in Reading, received his education there, and then learned the trade of a hatter, which continued to be his main business interest throughout life, although he also owned a considerable tract of land where the southwestern part of the city is now built, and operated it himself. He was one of the first persons in the county to engage in manufacturing wool hats, and built up a large business in that line. Both Mr. Arnold and his wife lived to a good age.

William Arnold was given a good practical education that would enable him to handle business affairs capably, and then was sent to learn his father's trade from the beginning up. After becoming thoroughly conversant with all the details of hat manufacturing, he was taken into his father's business, and in time succeeded to its sole control. The factory was located on North Eighth street, between Penn and Washington, and there were thirty to forty hands regularly employed. The output of hats was larger than from any other factory in Reading, and the goods were shipped chiefly for southern trade, via Charleston, S. C. The trips were made by sailing vessel and Mr. Arnold was frequently obliged to be gone three months or more. He was a man of fine business ability, and conducted his affairs so successfully that he was able to retire in 1848.

After his retirement, Mr. Arnold turned his attention to political matters, and became quite prominent in the ranks of the county Democrats. He brought to his new duties the same executive ability and energy that had marked his conduct of his own affairs, and served most efficiently in various capacities. From 1841 to 1845 he was county commissioner; from 1845 to 1847, treasurer; and from 1850 to 1857, director of the poor. He also served for many years as a director for the Farmers' Bank of Reading. Throughout his career for a period of over thirty years, Mr. Arnold acted as executor, administrator, trustee or guardian, and settled numerous estates, which facts attest in the strongest manner the esteem in which he was held by the community. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and was also prominent in Lodge No. 62, of the Masonic order. Mr. Arnold lived to a ripe old age, dying in 1883, aged eighty-four.

Mr. Arnold was twice married. By his first wife, Miss Anna Homan, he had three children: Anna Louise m. Ferdinand S. Ritter, and died in February, 1898; William died in infancy; William Augustus m. Ellen Rick, and died in June 1906. Mrs. Arnold died in 1837, aged thirty-four, and Mr. Arnold married (second) Miss Catherine Sauerbier. By this union there were four children, as follows: Emma, who died at the age of four; George W., who died in infancy; Amanda, the widow of D. F.. Markley; and Emma Catherine, Mrs. Lewis Dauth, who resides at the old Arnold homestead at No. 41 North Eight street. Mr. Dauth was formerly in the tinsmith and heating business, but is now retired. He and his wife have traveled extensively over the United States; Only one child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Dauth, a daughter, Katherine A. (m. Walter Scott Wells, employed in the Berks County Trust Company).


ARTZ, CALVIN W.

p. 1198

Surnames: ARTZ, WEAVER, LUTZ, Reading, HELLER, LORAH, CLINE

Calvin W. Artz, a popular business man of Reading, Pa., who is enjoying well-merited success as the proprietor of the "Avondale Hotel" at Riverside, was born Dec. 27, 1864, at Kleinfeltersville, Lebanon Co., Pa., son of Daniel and Lizzie (Weaver) Artz.

Benjamin Artz, grandfather of Calvin W., spent his entire life in the vicinity of Mohn's Hill, where he was engaged as a farm laborer. He married and had eleven children, as follows: William, Biram, John, Jacob, Levi, Abraham, Samuel, James, Benneville, Daniel and Mary (m. Abraham Lutz,of Adamstown, Pa).

Daniel Artz, father of Calvin W., was born April 6, 1838 at Mohn's Hill, Spring township, Lebanon county, where he was reared to agricultural pursuits. Later he became a shoemaker, an occupation which he followed at Kleinfeltersville, Lebanon county, for five years, then removing to one mile north of Terre Hill, near Good's Mill, in Lancaster county, where he has resided for many years. Mr. Artz is a member of the Evangelical Church. He married Lizzie Weaver, daughter of Jacob Weaver, and to this union there were born children as follows: David, of Terre Hill; Calvin W.; Isaac, an agriculturist of Luzerne County, Pa.; Lemuel, who lives with his parents; and Morris, who died in infancy.

Calvin W. Artz attended the public school at White Hollow, Lancaster Co., Pa., and learned the cigar making trade of Abner Cline at Terre Hille, where he continued that occupation for six years, then becoming clerk in the general store of Samuel Wechter. Here he continued for eight and one-half years, and in 1893 he came to Reading and entered the employ of J. S. Shade & Sons, becoming a clerk in their well-known drygoods establishment. In 1899, deciding to enter into business on his own account, Mr. Artz engaged in the grocery business on South Seventh street, where he was located until 1907, on Sept. 7th of which year he became the proprietor of the well-known "Avondale Hotel," a forty-room hostelry at Riverside, which he has successfully conducted to the present time. Fraternally Mr. Artz is connected with Terre Hill Lodge, No. 454, I. O. O. F. and P. O. S. of A., Terre Hill; the Knights of Malta, Commandery No. 47; and Wyomissing Council No. 1158, Royal Arcanum.

On Aug. 5, 1887, Mr. Artz was married to Lizzie Heller, daughter of Jeremiah and Maria (Lorah) Heller, and four children have been born to this union, namely: Mamie, who died in infancy; Grace, Maud, and Stanford, who died when young. The Misses Grace and Maud are vaudeville entertainers of great ability and have won quite a reputation in this line not only in Reading, but throughout the entire county. Among their specialties may be mentioned the Fling Dance, Kildy Sword Dance, Sand Jig, Waltz Clog, Slide Trombone Playing and Duets. The family is well known in this section of the state, and has always borne the reputation of representing the highest type of citizenship.


ARTZ, JOHN BURKHART

p. 1239

Surnames: ARTZ, BURKHART, HARDING, FITTERLING, SCHONOUR, MATZ, REISCH, HAIN, DAUTRICH

John Burkhart Artz, a substantial citizen of Brecknock township, Berks county, who is engaged in truck farming near Knauer's, was born across the line in Spring township, April 2, 1852, son of John H. and Sarah (Burkhart) Artz.

Jacob Artz, grandfather of John B., was a lifelong resident of Spring township, and was a shoemaker by trade. He died old in years and was buried at the Muddy Creek Church, as was also his wife, Anna Maria (Harding) Artz, who bore him one son: John H.

John H. Artz was born in Spring township in 1821, and there received his education. For about twenty years, until his eyesight failed, he taught school in the winter seasons in Brecknock, Spring, Cumru, and Lower Heidelberg townships, carrying on agricultural pursuits in the summer time on his forty acre farm. He was well and favorably known, and was elected on the Democratic ticket to the office of assessor and tax collector, which he held for many years. He was a Reformed member of the Muddy Creek Church, where he held official position. Mr. Artz married Sarah Burkhart, daughter of Andrew Burkhart, and eight children were born to this union: Mary, Catherine, Jacob, Harriet, Sarah, John B., Andrew and Katie, the last named of whom died in childhood. Mr. Artz died in 1893.

John B. Artz was reared upon the farm in Spring township, and in early life came to Brecknock township, where he has since lived. For some years, Mr. Artz was a tenant, but in 1885 he purchased a small tract where he lived until 1891, and then bought a farm of seventy-five acres, which he is still cultivating. In politics Mr. Artz is a Democrat, and has served as a delegate to numerous county conventions. He and his wife are Reformed members of the Gouglersville congregation, of which he was deacon and elder for many years, and of which he is now treasurer.

In 1870, Mr. Artz was married to Susanna Fitterling, born Nov. 2, 1851, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Schonour) Fitterling, and ten children have been born to this union: Pierce, m. Kate Matz; Mary, m. Howard Schonour, deceased; Ella, who died at the age of six years; Kate, m. Charles Reisch; Maggie, m. Charles Hain; John, m. Mary Dautrich; Lillie, m. Cenus Schonour; Howard, who died at the age of sixteen years; W. Stephen and Carrie, both at home.


AULENBACH, FRANKLIN

p. 1149

Surnames: AULENBACH, LIKINS, REINOCHL, ERMENTROUT, OBERT

Franklin Aulenbach, a retired blacksmith and boiler-maker of Reading, Pa., was born in a house which stood at the present site of the junction of Perkiomen avenue an Mineral Spring road, Reading, April 15, 1843, son of Charles and Katie (Likens) Aulenbach, the former of whom founded Aulenbach cemetery.

Andrew Aulenbach, grandfather of Frank, was a hatter by trade, and one of the pioneers of this business in Reading. He was a substantial citizen for his day, and reached an advanced age, he being the first to occupy a grave in Aulenbach cemetery. Among his children were: Jacob, Charles an Kate.

Charles Aulenbach, son of Andrew, was also born in Reading, and learned from his father the hatter's trade, which he followed in connection with agricultural pursuits all of his life. He died aged sixty-three years and his wife, Katie Likens, March 23, 1880, aged sixty-six years. Their children were: Henry; John, who died in Andersonville prison; William; Kate; Franklin; Charles; James; Joseph and Louis, all of these children being deceased except Franklin and James.

Franklin Aulenbach received his education in the schools of Reading, and when a young man worked at the hatter's trade, later apprenticing himself to the blacksmith, and boiler-maker's trade, which he followed in and until the outbreak of the Civil war. For the next three years he was employed by the Government as a blacksmith and boiler maker, and on his return to Reading was given a position by F. J. Obert, with whom he continued for fourteen years, acting as superintendent of from thirty to forty men. He then became proprietor of the "Perkiomen Hotel," which he conducted for sixteen years, but since 1896 has been engaged in making ornamental fences, etc. He is a Democrat in politics, and has been prominent in public matters, having been councilman, register assessor for ten years, and assistant market commissioner. His religious belief is that of the Reformed Church. Mr. Aulenbach is fraternally connected with Emblematic Lodge, I. O. O. F., of which he is past grand, and is also chief patriarch of the Patriarchs Militant, and of Esther Degree Lodge, Daughters of Rebekah.

Mr. Aulenbach married Anna M. Reinoehl, and to this union there have been born six children: Katie; Carrie, deceased; Alice, m. to Silas Ermentrout; George, deceased; Charles, an electrician; and F. Keim, a clerk.


AULENBACH, WILLIAM

p. 1115

Surnames: AULENBACH, LINSAMAN, DAUTRICH, HOCH, WANNER

William Aulenbach, a prosperous farmer of Oley township, resides upon his fine farm one-half mile west of Friedensburg. He was born in Reading Aug. 13, 1874, son of James Aulenbach and grandson of Charles Aulenbach. James Aulenbach, son of Charles, was born in Reading Aug. 8, 1845, and is now a farmer in Alsace township. He learned the hatter's trade which he followed for some years, then learned boiler making from J. Obert, of Reading. This latter trade he followed until he feared he would lose his hearing, and he then resumed work at his first learned trade. In 1882, he began farming, purchasing a farm of fifty-eight acres, to which he has since added, and on it he has carried on farming ever since. He is a member of Spies's Church. He married Mary Linsaman, and they had two children; William, and a daughter that died in infancy. Later he married Annie Linsaman, daughter of William and Margaret Linsaman, of Reading, natives of Wittenburg, Germany, and sister of his first wife. By his second marriage he had these children: Harry; James; Emma; Carrie and Charles.

William Aulenbach was reared upon the farm and attended the schools of Alsace township. When old enough he learned the carpenter trade from Jonas Dautrich an for four years followed it. Later he worked in the Reading car shops and then for four years was a trolley-car conductor for the United Traction company of Reading. He next became a conductor on the Oley Valley Railway Company's lines. Mr. Aulenbach had the honor of conducting the first trolley car over the road, and was in the employ of the company for some four years. In 1905 he began farming on the Levi Merkel farm in Oley, as a tenant, and continued thus for two years, when in 1907 he purchased the tract, which consists of 106 acres of very fertile land. The death of the owner occurred in 1905, and Mr. Aulenbach bought the property from the estate. The house was built by Jared Hoch in 1858, as the Hoch homestead. Mr. Aulenbach is a member of Emblematic Lodge No. 169, I. O. O. F., Reading, and is on the staff. He and his family are members of Spies's church.

On June 16, 1894, Mr. Aulenbach was married to Mary Wanner, daughter of Martin Wanner of Alsace township. These children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Aulenbach; William, George, Elmer, Raymond, Mable, Bessie, Charles and Leon.


AUMAN, CHARLES E.

p. 576

Surnames: AUMAN, KAUFFMAN, FREDERICK, CURTIN, ECKENROAD, GOTTWALD, CULP, SAUERWALD, WALTMAN, LEADER, RICK, PLANK

The Chief of Police of the city of Reading is necessarily a man much in the public eye and the present incumbent of that important office, Hon. Charles E. Auman, is one whose private reputation and public record prove him worthy of the trust reposed in him. Chief Auman comes of German ancestors, both his grandfather and father being natives of Baveria, Germany. The grandfather, Bernard Auman, with his son Cornelius, then a child of three, came to Pennsylvania in 1848, settling in Adams county, where he and his wife were buried. Being a hard worker and a good manager, he accumulated property and died in advanced age, a wealthy man. His wife also lived many years and lies beside him in the cemetery at Littlestown. Cornelius Auman was reared on his father's farm, later purchasing one of his own. During the Civil War he enlisted in Company G., 209th Pa. V. I., under Col. Tobias B. Kauffman, an Capt. George W. Frederick. He was mustered in at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, PA., Sept. 16, 1864; was wounded at Fort Steadman, Va., March 25, 1865; and was in the hospital when mustered out. At present he lives retired at York, Pa. His wife was Agnes Eckenroad, of Bonneyville, Aams county, Pa. They had children as follows: John, a cigar-packer of York, Pa., m. Miss Katie Gottwald of Hanover, York county; William, a cigar-packer at Schenectady, N. Y., m. Miss Annie Culp, of Gettysburg, Adams county; Charles E.; Margaret is the widow of Frank Sauerwald, and lives at Baltimore, Md.; Augustus, a carpenter living at Gettysburg, Adams county, m. Emma Gottwald, also of Gettysburg; Mary died at the age of four years; Annie m. Emory Waltman of York, Pennsylvania. Charles E. Auman was born in Gettysburg, Pa., Jan. 19, 1871. His boyhood days were spent in Adams county, and there he attended the public schools until he left to learn the cigar-maker's trade, which he has followed at intervals all his life. He came to Reading, April 29, 1890, and worked for Glaser, Frame & Co. for seven years, and then for others until his appointment as police patrolman in 1899 by Mayor Adam H. Leader. He served three years with great credit, and in 1902 was made inspector of the 4th Precinct of the Ninth ward. In 1908 he was appointed Chief of Police by Mayor William Rick. In the short time he has been in office, chief Auman has made many very beneficial changes, and he is resolved to mark his incumbency of the position by a vigorous crusade against vice. Especially are his efforts directed towards the clearing out of the undesirable places in the tenderloin district. Already there is a marked change, and the people of Reading are beginning to realize the wisdom of his Honor's choice of Chief.

In 1893, Mr. Auman married Catherine M. Plank, daughter of Sebastian and Frances Plank, natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Auman have had two children: Raymond S., who died in infancy; and Edna F. The pleasant residence of Chief Auman is at No. 1037 Elm street. The Chief has always been an active Republican, and has served many times as delegate to city and county conventions. In personal appearance he is a man of fine physique, tall, well built and of good appearance, while his knowledge of conditions of his office and the need for vigorous and energetic action by the police is far reaching, and as has been said before, he is showing the people of Reading that he knows just what to do in emergencies.


AUSTRIAN, BEN

p. 1658

Surnames: AUSTRIAN, DREIFOSS, DREXEL, NEWTON, STERNBERGH

Ben Austrian was born Nov. 22, 1870, in the city of Reading, a son of Raphael and Fanny Elisabeth (Dreifoss) Austrian.

The Austrian family is of German extraction. Raphael Austrian, a well-known manufacturer of Reading, died in 1897, aged fifty-six years. The mother of our subject, still surviving, is a daughter of Bernard Dreifoss, whose wife was a member of the Drexel family of Philadelphia. The family consisted of five sons and one daughter, namely: Aaron and Claude, who died in early childhood; Joseph, a manufacturer in New York City; Julian, a publisher in New York; Adrienne, at home; and Ben, the artist.

Ben Austrian was educated in the schools of Reading, and from childhood evinced artistic ability although the surrounding circumstances prevented his devoting himself to developing his talent for a number of years.

After leaving school he entered his father's store as a salesman for two years and then went on the road for a Williamsport firm for three years, later engaging for two years with his father in business, being a traveling representative of the house. It was at the close of this period that Mr. Austrian gave way to his natural inclinations and opened a studio. Although the pupil of no noted master of the brush, nor graduate of any celebrated school of painting, Mr. Austrian has given to the world some of the finest artistic works now exhibited by American artists. The stamp of individuality is upon them, in fact they are distinctively "Austrian." Among the paintings to which his name is appended are his colossal paintings mentioned below: "Temptations," exhibited in Reading, Williamsport, and New York; "After the Race," adorning a wall in the "Hotel Netherlands, " New York; "A Day's Hunt," painted in 1898 and exhibited in Earle's Art Galley, at Philadelphia, and hundreds of smaller canvasses. The latter painting brought Mr. Austrian to the front as an artist, his critics calling attention to his fidelity to nature as admirable features. In the fall of 1900, "A Golden Harvest" was given to the public and was exhibited at Earle's, and this painting of wonderful beauty added fresh laurels.

In October, 1901, an even more ambitious effort was produced and exhibited first in Reading and later at Green's in Philadelphia, entitled "The South Wind," a painting showing the trophies of the hunt, a masterly effort and a great success.

In 1902 Mr. Austrian opened a studio in Paris, where his work was subjected to a severe and captious public, but the encouragement was so general and commendation so universal, that Mr. Austrian put his pictures on exhibition in the galleries of Henry Graves & Co., London, where immediate and full recognition was awarded and generous praise given. The royal family, together with many distinguished member of the aristocracy and others eminent in the world of art, letters and society, were in frequent attendance and he was dubbed the "Landseer of Chickens." His "Golden Harvest" was secured by the Walker Art Museum of Liverpool, one of the leading galleries of Europe. "His Majesty, the King," his latest work, exhibited in Reading, Lancaster, and elsewhere, was purchased by Mr. Mahlon W. Newton, of Philadelphia, a connoisseur, who has a fine collection of well-known paintings. Mr. Austrian's "A Day's Hunt," bought for its author a high price, its gratified owner being Mr. J. H. Sternbergh.

Ben Austrian sends pictures to the galleries of Berlin, Munich, London, and San Francisco and exhibits in many of the eastern cities. He has a charming summer studio in the Neversink Mountains, a quaint cabin owned by the descendants of Daniel Boone, which bears the name of "Clovelly." and here his summers are spent painting the glories of Nature in every mood. His winter studio is situated on Perkiomen avenue, Reading.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:28 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.