Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

AMES, ISAAC

p. 989

Surnames: PAGITT, MCCULLOCH, ZULY, MARTIN, GRUBB, BIXLER, RUTHERFORD, WITMAN, DE HAVEN, BINDER, GABRIEL, JONES, BYLER

Isaac Ames, a representative citizen of Caernarvon township, Berks Co., Pa., who conducts a blacksmith shop and wagonmaking establishment near Kurtz's Mills, was born April 7, 1854, in York county, Pa., son of Henry and Sarah Ames, and grandson of William and Polly Ames.

Henry Ames, who was a native of Berks county, was engaged in blacksmithing at Morgantown, where he spent his life. He married (first) Mary Pagitt, and to this union two children were born: Morris and George. Mr. Ames m. (second) Sarah Ann McCulloch, born Jan. 25, 1815, died Jan. 26, 1893, and both she and her husband are buried in the new cemetery at Morgantown. They were the parents of these children: Ann m. (first) a Zuly and (second) a Martin; Henry lives in Chester county; Isaac; Elizabeth m. Joseph Grubb; Jane m. Christ Bixler; Hayes died June 3, 1892; Katie, born Aug. 14, 1852, died May 7, 1903; Howard; and Emma m. John Rutherford, and lives in Laureltown, Union county, Pennsylvania.

When Isaac Ames was about four years of age his parents took him to Morgantown, where he learned the blacksmith's trade with his father. He now conducts a blacksmith and wagonmaking establishment at Morgantown, in the vicinity of which place he has lived for over half a century.

In 1869 Mr. Ames married Annie Witman, who was born in 1856, in Caernarvon township, and died in Morgantown in 1887. The following children were born to this union: Mae m. Jacob De Haven, and is living in Caernarvon township; Sanford m. a Miss Binder, and conducts a blacksmith establishment in Honey Brook, Chester county; Nellie m. Joseph Gabriel, and lives in Caernarvon township; Jennie lives in Reading; Catherine m. Harry Jones, and resides on Weiser street, Reading; Sherman, lives with his father. In 1892 Mr. Ames m. (second) Mary E. Byler, born Nov. 27, 1854, who died Feb. 14, 1907, and is buried in the new Morgantown cemetery. One child was born to this union: Myrtle, born in 1894, who lives with her father. In politics Mr. Ames is a Republican. He and his children attend the Methodist Church of Morgantown.


AMMARELL, CHARLES

p. 1034

Surnames: AMMARELL, MONZ, BECK, DANZ, KOTT, MACHEMER, HAAG, ULRICH, WANNER, KESSLER, ALTHOUSE, LEINBACH, STITZEL, KRAMER

Charles Ammarell, one of the solid, substantial business men of Reading, PA., and an honored veteran of the Civil war, who is engaged in numerous flourishing business enterprises, was born in Weimar, Saxony, Germany, July 17, 1845, son of Frederick and Rosalie (Monz) Ammarell, and grandson of Frederick Ammarell, who died in Germany.

Frederick Ammarell, the father, was born at Weimar, Germany, April 1, 1809, his education being secured in the common schools. In August, 1854, he came to the United States on a sailing vessel, landing at New York City after an eight week voyage. Having learned the trade of carpenter in his native country, he was engaged at that occupation in New York for a short time, but subsequently removed to Northampton county, PA., engaging there at the business of boat-building. Later he was employed at Felix's Dam, in Bern township, Berks county, and died at the home of his son at Epler's Church, in that township, Jan. 3, 1886, aged seventy-six years, eight months, seventeen days. His wife, Rosalie (Monz) Ammarell died in Germany when about sixty-five years old, the mother of children as follows: Louisa, who married a Mr. Beck, of Brookyn, N.Y. ; Robert, who resides on his farm in Bern township; Charles, who died in infancy; Charles (2), the subject of this sketch; Lena, who married a Mr. Danz; and Alma, who married Draugott Kott.

Charles Ammarell received his earlier education in the schools in Germany, and later attended in this country. On July 10, 1859, he came to the United States, making the trip on a sailing vessel, the voyage taking six weeks. From New York City he came to Bern township, and until 1862 was engaged in work for the widow Althouse and William Leinbach. On Oct. 14th of that year he enlisted in Company, 151st PA. V. I., a nine month's regiment, with which he served in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. He then returned to the farm, but on Feb. 16, 1864, re-enlisted for a term of three years, becoming a member of Company E, 46th PA. V. I., and after going to Chattanooga, joined Sherman's army in their great march to the sea, his corps traveling over 1,500 miles. He was mustered out July 27, 1865, having served two years and three months, and during this whole period he was never sick a day so as to incapacitate him for service. Willing and cheerful, brave and faithful, he made an ideal soldier, and won the respect and admiration of both officers and men. On completing his services to his adopted country, Mr. Ammarell returned to the farm, and later took up agricultural pursuits on his own account in Muhlenberg and Bern townships. He also spent nine years on Judge Stitzel's farm in Muhlenberg township, and in 1896 came to Reading, locating at No. 634 North Front street, where for about four years he was engaged in contracting the hauling for the Carpenter Steel Works. In 1898, in company with W. M. Leinbach, and H. F. Kramer, Mr. Ammerell built the West Buttonwood Street Market House, a building 75x185 feet, located at the corner of McKnight and West Buttonwood streets, and since that time he has been acting as manager and superintendent of this enterprise, positions for which he is eminently suited. Mr. Ammerell began his extensive building operations in 1900, since which time he has erected numerous dwelling and business blocks, including twenty-six houses on Schuylkill avenue, forty houses on Greenwich and North Front streets, and twenty-seven on North Front between Green and Greenwich streets, on the west side. In 1907 he also erected nine houses at Coatsville, PA. He is a director of the Berks Coal Company. With his partner, H. F. Kramer, he owns valuable building property in Reading, and in the real estate, financial and commercial circles of the city is recognizd as a man of great business capacity, sterling integrity, and strict adherence to the principles of right. Mr. Ammerell is a Republican in politics, but he has never cared for political favors, although while a resident of Muhlenberg township he served as school director for one term. His religious connection is with Epler's Chuirch, in which he has filled the vaious offices. He is a popular comrade of McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R. Mr. Ammarell is very fond of travel, and in 1891, with his brother Robert, made a trip to Germany, where he visited old scenes and re-established old acquaintances. With Mrs. Ammarell and Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Kramer, he made a trip of 9,499 miles in 1906, going to Southern California, and spending some time in visit to Yellowstone Park and Canada.

In 1866, Mr. Ammarell married Amanda Machemer, dau. of Charles and Mary (Haag) Machemer, agricultural people of Bern township, Berks county, and there were four children born to this union, as follows: Amelia married Morris J. Ulrich, assistant superintendent of the Market House, Reading; Clara married Daniel K. Wanner, a Reading business man; Katie married Irvin K. Kessler, also in business in this city; and Charles, Jr., died when eight years old. The family are highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance, and they are known to stand for all that represents the best type of citizenship.


AMMARELL, JOHN B.

p. 929

Surnames: AMMARELL, BEECHER, BECK, MANZ, DANZ, HOT, SMITH, REESER, SHADEL, MENGEL, WAGMAN, OLINGER, LEIB, AULENBACH, FISHER, MATZ, ALTHOUSE, BAER, KECK, RAPP

John B. Ammarell, a well known and highly esteemed resident of Bern Township, Berks Co, Pa., who is acting in the capacity of organist at Epler's Church, was born at Reeser's Mill, in Bern township, Aug. 25, 1862, son of Robert and Catherine (Beecher) Ammarell.

Frederick Ammarell, grandfather of John B., was a son of Frederick Ammarell, Sr., who died in Germany. The grandfather was born April 16, 1809, at Weimar, Saxony, Germany, and was educated in the schools of his native county, where he also learned the trade of a carpenter. He came to America in August, 1854, landing at New York after a voyage of eight weeks in a sailing vessel. For a short time he remained with relatives in that city, and then came to Northampton county, Pa., where he was engaged in boat-building, later, however, coming to Berks county and locating at Felix's Dam, in Bern township. He died at the home of his son in Bern township, Jan 3, 1886. Frederick Ammarell married Rosalie Manz, who died in Germany when about sixty-five years of age, and to the the following children were born: Louisa m. a Mr. Beck, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Robert; Charles died in infancy; Charles (2) of Reading, PA.; Lena m a Mr. Danz; and Alma m. Draugott Hot.

Robert Ammarell wa born Jan. 3, 1840, at Weimar, Saxony, Germany, and accompanied his father to America in August, 1854. In Newark, N.J., the youth learned the saddler's trade, but did not immediately take up that occupation. He traveled to Reading, Pa., walking part of the way and finishing the journey by rail, and soon thereafter became a canal-boat driver. He made only one trip, however, this consuming two weeks, after which he settled in Bern township, taking up his residence at the home of the widow of Samuel Althouse, where he lived for five years. He then lived for two years with George Zacharias, and on Sept. 14, 1861, was married to Catherine Beecher, who was born Aug. 9, 1838, in Bern township, daughter of John and Susan (Smith) Beecher. After his marriage, Mr. Ammarell worked for Jonathan Reeser for three years, when he engaged in farming for himself for two years on a tract near Stouchsburg, in Marion township. The next quarter of a century, Mr. Ammarell spent on the Althouse farm in Bern township, and at the end of this long period of faithful, industrious effort, he took up residence on his own six-acre tract in Bern township, at Epler's Church, where he still lives. Since 1898 he has been conducting and operating a cider press at the "Leinbach Hotel," and during this season has a large and lucrative trade. A Democrat in politics, Mr. Ammarell has served for nine years as school director, and has been supervisor for thirteen years. He is a Lutheran member of Epler's Church, in which he has served in all offices and is now acting in the capacity of elder. He and his wife became the parents of the following children: John B.; Kate, born Oct. 22, 1864, m. James Reeser, and is living at Reading; George, born May 25, 1867, m. Emma Shadel, and resides in Ontelaunee township; Emma, born April 20, 1868, m. Mayberry Mengel, and lives in Reading; Mary, born Aug. 30, 1870, m. Lawrence Wagman, and lives in Muhlenberg township; Robert, born Dec. 25, 1871, m. Lillie Olinger, and is a railroad man of Reading; Harrison, born Aug. 25, 1874, m. Mamie Leib, and is now teaching Stoudt school, in Bern township; and Frederick, born Dec. 3, 1877, m Nora Aulenbach, and is a rural free delivery mail carrier, in charge of route No.2, from Reading.

John B. Ammarell received his preliminary mental training in the public schools, later spent two terms at the Kutztown State Normal School, and also attended the Mine Hole Summer School in Bern township for a time. Until twenty years of age he worked for his father, and 1880 received his license to teach from County Superintendent S. A. Baer. In 1882, under Prof. David S Keck, then county superintendent of schools, he received his professional certificate. In all he taught five terms, having charge of the Mine Hole, Mechanicsville and Epler schools in Bern township, and he then left the profession to take up farming, at which he was occupied for five years. In 1890, Mr Ammerell came to his present place, where he has charge of the church property, a tract of about ten acres, and is also engaged as organist of Epler's Church, Gernant's in Ontelaunee township, and Hinnershitz Church in Tuckerton. Mr. Ammerell's enterprise has extended in various directions, and he is engaged in the monument business, hiring three skilled workmen at his yard at the church. He belongs to the Lutheran denomination. He is secretary of the church, and is also secretary of the board of trustees of the cemetery. In political matters Mr. Ammerell is a 'Democrat' and he has served very acceptably as township auditor, and school director for six years, part of which time he was secretary. He seved as delegate to the State Democratic Conventions at Altoona and Harrisburg. In 1908 he was appointed clerk in the Berks county recorder's office, his duties being to transcribe old indexes, which in addition to being a very important task is a very large and tedious one. Fraternally he is connected with Camp No. 165, P.O. S. of A. at Leesport, which he has represented as State delegate several times; Leesport Castle No. 503. K.G.E.; and Leesport Camp, No. 9284, Modern Woodmen of America.

In 1882 Mr. Ammerell was united in marriage with Catherine R. Matz, daughter of John and Susan (Fisher) Matz, of Bern township, and three children have been born to them, namely: Winfield H., Raymond R. and John S.

Winfield H. Ammarell, M. D., who has recently been elected resident physician at the Reading Hospital, is a senior in the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania. He was born Jan. 10, 1886, in Bern township, and attended the schools there until 1900, when he entered Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. In the spring of the first year he received his first provisional certificate, under Prof. E. M. Rapp, and for two successive years he taught the Mine Hole school in Bern. In the spring of 1902 he entered the middle year class of the Keystone State Normal and was graduated from that institution in 1904. The following year he taught the Mechanicsville school in Bern. While a student at Normal, Dr. Ammarell took great interest in Y.M.C.A. work. He was a delegate of the organization to Lebanon, Bucknell University, and to the Northfield, Mass., Students Conference in the spring of 1903. For two years he served as 'Eagle' correspondent at the Normal, doing excellent work. During the spring of 1905 he taught at the Perkiomen Seminary, Pennsburg, at the same time studying subjects along the medical line. In the fall of 1905 he entered the Freshman class of the University of Pennsylvania, Medical Department, at which institution he is now a member of the senior class. He is a member of the Omega Upsilon Phi fraternity, of the Charles K. Mills Neurological Medical Society, and is secretary of the Berks County Club of the U. of P. He is also a member of the Kappa Phi fraternity.

Raymond R. Ammarell, a member of the sophomore class of Muhlenberg College, was born July 29, 1887, in Bern township, and attended its schools until 1903, when he was granted a township graduation diploma by Prof. E. M. Rapp. In the same spring he entered the junior class of Keystone State Normal and was graduated from that institution in 1905. While a student at Normal, Mr. Ammarell was a member of the Keystone Literary Society and an ardent supporter of the Y.M.C.A. In 1905 he served as a delegate to the State convention of the Y.M.C.A. held in Johnstown, Pa. After graduation, Mr. Ammarell taught the school at Mechanicsville, Bern township, for one year. The following year he was called to East Catasauqua, Hanover Township, Lehigh county, where he taught the grammar school very successfully for one year. In the spring of 1907 he was awarded his teacher's master diploma by the Normal School. While a teacher and during the summer months, Mr. Ammarell did special work in German and Greek. In the fall of 1907 he entered the Freshman class of Muhlenberg College at Allentown. He is a member of the Euterpea Literary Society and secretary of the Keystone Club.

John S. Ammarell, born March 1, 1898, in Bern township, is a student in Stoudt's Union School.


AMMON, GEORGE M.

p. 1655

Surnames: AMMON, GABLE, STYER, BECK, RIGG, EBERHER, LUDWIG, HOMAN, KERSHNER

George M. Ammon, former proprietor of the "American House" Reading, was born Sept. 20, 1855, near Churchtown, Lancaster county, PA. He comes from sturdy Holland-Dutch ancestry, Johannes Ammon, the first of the family in this country, having come from Holland in 1730, settling in Geigertown, Berks county. Johannes Ammon "sold himself" (as it was then known) to the Colony for $96.00, to take up a section of land. One of the early Ammons was the groom at the first marriage ceremony performed in the Old Swedes Church at Philadelphia, May 21, 1798. Another party of Ammons settled in Pequa Valley, in Lancaster county, and the Ammons, the Styers, the Swishers and the Yohns have all influential relationships. On his grandmother's side, George M Ammon's ancestry came from Wittenberg, Germany, while the ancestry of his mother came from England.

George M. Ammon's father, George, was a son of John Ammon, and was a farmer, miller, and stockdealer. He died March 2, 1865. He married Mary Elizabeth Gable, daughter of Peter Gable, a farmer of Pequa Valley, and seven of their children are yet living. Among the children were: William, a farmer of York county, PA.; Sarah, the wife of Samuel Styer, of Lancaster; Peter G. comes next in order of birth; Catherine, the wife of Levi Beck, of Ephrata, Lancaster county; Ellen, wife of Samuel Rigg, general manager of the traction lines in Reading; Cyrus, a traveling salesman for, and dealer in Ephrata Springs water and in lumber; George Martin, the proprietor of the "American House", Reading; and Susan, who was the wife of Robert E. Eberher, a farmer of Chester county. Mrs. Ammon, the other of these children, died April 18, 1857.

George Martin Ammon was educated in the schools of the district, and as a young man worked on the farm. He later engaged successively in cabinet-making, undertaking and carpentering, but in 1889 he began the hotel business, having been first at Terre Hill; then proprietor of the "City Hotel" (Reading) for five years, and on April 1, 1900, became proprietor of the "American House" at Reading, which he conducted for five years when he was succeeded by his son David and son-in-law Edwin Kershner, present proprietors.

On Dec 16, 1880, Mr. Ammon married Miss Henrietta Ludwig, daughter of Henry Ludwig, a carpenter of Churchtown. One son and one daughter were born to this union: David S., a graduate of the Reading high school (m. Charlotte Homan); and Fanny S. (m. Edwin Kershner. They have a son, George Ammon). Mr. Ammon belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Eagles. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. Since his retirement from the hotel business, Mr. Ammon is giving his attention to his splendid farms in Cumru township. This land is delightfully situated and commands a fine view of Reading.


AMOLE, EDGAR

p. 1521

Surnames: AMOLE, WENRICH

Edgar Amole, of Reading, Pa., who is serving as secretary and treasurer of the Reading Stove Works, was born Dec. 9, 1872, in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill county, son of Daniel and Emma (Wenrich) Amole.

Mr. Amole received his education in the schools of Reading, whence his parents had moved when he was a child, and also attended the Reading high school for a few terms. He then engaged at Orr, Painter and Company's Stove Works, as office boy in July, 1889, and by close application to his duties soon won promotion. He represented the firm as traveling salesman throughout Pennsylvania, and later was called in from the road and made assistant treasurer, a position which he retained one year. He was made secretary and treasurer, and upon reorganization of the company when it became the Reading Stove Works, he was again tendered this position which he has continued to fill with much credit to the present time. He is a man of more than ordinary business ability, and is popular with employees and employers.

Mr. Amole stands high in social circles of Reading and is a member of Reading Lodge, No. 62, F. & A. M.; Reading Chapter, R.A.M.; De Molay Commandery, K. T.; Philadelphia Consistory, thirty-second degree; Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of Reading; the K.G.E. and the Junior Fire Company.


ANCONA, SYDENHAM E.

p. 376

Surnames: ANACONDA, KNAPP, MONTIFFIORE, WAGNER, ALBRIGHT, FEGER, KEIM, PAGE, SCHWARTZ MAN, JAEGER, PIERCE, DAVIS, JONES, CLYMER, CURTIN, KOSSUTH, MCKNIGHT, DURRELL, KIEFER, HOFFEDITZ, LINCOLN, SCHENK, BLAINE, GRANT, KELLY, STEVENS, HANCOCK, GLOVER, LOUIS, DEPUY, BOYER, JONES, STANTON, FLINN, BUCHANAN, BLACK, CAMERON, KELLY, STITZEL, BRENEISER, PATTI SON, CLUFF, CHASE

Sydenham E. Ancona, son of Morris M. Ancona, M. D., an Mary Ann (Knapp) Ancona, was born in Warwick township, adjoining Lititz, Lancaster county, Pa., Nov. 20, 1824.

M. M. Ancona was a native of London, England, born Feb. 9, 1791, and died at Pottsville, Pa., March 20, 1854. His father was M. Ancona, a marble and statuary mason, who died in London, of which city his ancestors, for some generations, had been living. His wife was a Montifiore, and as were the Anconas, of Italian descent. They were merchants at Leghorn and are presumed to have come from the city of Ancona, Italy.

The family moved in the spring of the year 1826 from Lititz to Bern township, Berks county, about two miles from Bernville, near Scullis Hill; from this place to Lebanon about the 1st of April, 1829, and in 1830-31 to Kelly's Corner, near the Conewago creek, Lebanon county; from Kelly's Corner in 1833 to Porter's Store, on the road from Cplebrook Furnace to Elizabeth town; in April, 1836, to Carnarvon township, near Church town; there to Alsace township, Berks county, near Stony Creek. He worked on a farm in Saucon township, Lehigh county, for four months. The subject of this sketch then, upon the suggestion of his father and in response to an advertisement in the papers, applied for a select school in Upper Bern township, and was employed by the executors of the estate of Valentine Wagner. This school at the time was the only English school west of the river, except the public schools at Womelsdorf. The compensation was ten dollars per month besides board. He spent the summers of 1843 and 1844 at home. In the fall, seeing an announcement in the papers that twenty-one teachers were wanted in Earl township, Lancaster county, he, among some fifty others applicants, was examined at New Holland, passed and obtained a school.

In June, 1845, hemade a trip to New York and Boston by way of Providence, returning to Reading, and leaving in July for Niagra Falls an Canada. At that time the method of reaching New York was by stage via Allentown, Easton to Morris town, N. J., and from there to New York by rail. After leaving Niagra he proceeded to Buffalo, then a town of from ten thousand to twelve thousand inhabitants, going from there by steamer to Cleveland about the 20th of August, and from the latter place to Akron by canal boat. From this point, with a companion whom he happened to meet, and who proposed to him that they walk to Lancaster, he proceeded as far as Chambersburg, Pa., where they separated.

After some months at home, given up to farming, Mr. Ancona accepted in 1845 an English select school at Seyfert's Mills, in Upper Tulpehocken township, Berks county, having about twenty pupils at this school and being very successful in instructing them. He had some very bright boys there, notably Charles Albright, who afterward became a general in the army during the Civil war, a prominent lawyer, and was elected to Congress on the ticket from Pennsylvania some years after the close of the war.

Having decided in the year 1846 to discontinue teaching school, on the invitation of Daniel H. Feger, who had obtained a position with the Reading Railroad Company, Mr. Ancona accepted a position in the service in the same department with him as an assistant timekeeper, devoting himself with all his energy and giving his entire time to the requirements which they demanded. He continued with the railroad company until 1862, in the position of chief clerk an bookkeeper from December, 1851, having been acting as assistant timekeeper previous thereto. At the close of December, 1851, he took charge of the general books of the company, which were then out of balance and in a neglected condition. He succeeded at once in the work, although he had had no previous experience in double entry bookkeeping.

When nominated for Congress in 1860, without having given the company any notice of his purpose, he was warmly congratulated by the general manager of the company on his achievement. A few days thereafter he received the gratifying communication from the president of the road that his election to Congress would not interfere with his position with the company, and that they expected him to return with the company at the end of the session.

During his connection with the railroad company, in 1849, together with his brother-in-law, Daniel H. Feger, he organized a military company known as the Reading Rifles, which was composed largely of young men employed by the Reading Railroad Company, engineers and machinists. It was a notable organization numbering some two hundred, thoroughly armed and equipped with rifles furnished by the State. It had a band of music made up of its own members, and was decidedly one of the crack volunteer organizations of the country. It was attached to the 1st Brigade, 5th Division, P. V., under William H. Keim, of Reading. The company made several notable excursions to Philadelphia as the guests of the celebrated State Fencibles, then under the command of Col. James Page. They were received by the State Fencibles in the grounds surrounding Independence Hall, and were presented by Colonel Page , in behalf of the State Fencibles, a handsome silver mounted rifle, and a gold medallion containing Colonel Page's portrait with a suitable inscription. In 1854 the company went on an excursion to Washington and Mount Vernon. They passed through Philadelphia under the escort of the State Fencibles. At Washington, they were received by the "German Jaeger" commanded by Major Schwartz man, together with other volunteer companies in the District of Columbia at that time. They were received by the President of the United States, General Pierce, and his Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, in the East Room of the White House, having 137 men in line, all told. In presenting the company, each man was introduced by name to the President and Secretary of War. The company was complimented by both the president and Mr. Davis. The company was entertained by Hon. J. Glance Jones, the representative from Berks county, at his home. The arsenal and navy yard were visited, and Mount Vernon reached under the escort of Major Schwartz man and his company. Returning home, they stopped over in Baltimore, the next day at York, had dinner at Columbia and were received in Lancaster by the Buchanan Rifles and entertained at a banquet at Fulton Hall in the evening. They attended the reception tendered to Louis Kossuth, the celebrated Hungarian patriot; also the reception to the first Japanese legation that visited the United States.

Mr. Ancona retired from the Rifles soon after this excursion in consequence of a political controversy with men who had left the Rifles and joined a rival organization. He was the invited to take command of the Reading Troop, a cavalry company that dated its organization from the Revolutionary war. He accepted, and, was subsequently elected major of the Reading Battalion by a very large majority. Mr. Hiester Clymer, later his successor in Congress, was supported by the opposition, but Mr. Ancona carried the companies by a majority larger than the total vote of Mr. Clymer in the Ringgold Light Artillery, which was the finest military organization in the United States.

In February, 1861, Governor Curtin sent Maj. Gen. William H. Keim (5th Division, Pennsylvania Volunteers, to which the brigade was attached) to him and Capt. James McKnight to ascertain whether their companies sould be held in readiness to respond to a call in defense of the government. They conferred with their men and had them pledged by oath to go out in defense of the government, then threatened with secession by a number of its States. The call came finally, but for the Ringgold Artillery only. In April, after the President's Proclamation, and on the same day that the call came from Governor Curtin, Mr. Ancona went to Harrisburg to ascertain whether his company was also to be sent, but was advised that for the time being no cavalry companies would be called.

On July 4, 1861, the XXXVIIth Congress was called in special session, and having been elected as a representative from Berks county, he took his seat and soon after called upon Secretary of war Cameron, with Captain McKnight, George Durrell and John B. Kiefer, who was a nephew of Cameron and had been a member of the Reading Rifles. He then asked the General what the probabilities were of his company being called. The General replied that they "had more men than they wanted," and hence Mr. Ancona made no further effort to obtain recognition. A very short time thereafter a mustering officer was sent to Reading without his knowledge. The company was mustered in, divided into two companies, the one under George Clymer as captain and the other under J. C. A. Hoffeditz. Thus he failed to get into the service owing to circumstances over which he had no control.

Mr. Ancona was elected to the XXXVII th Congress in 1860 and took his seat on July 4, 1861, at a special session called by President Lincoln. He was also elected to the XXXVIII th and XXXVIX th Congresses. He served on the committee on Commercial Affairs, which as he says had but little opportunity for recognition, as most business which should have been referred to it was referred to the committee on Ways and Means, which also controlled the appropriations during these years. Later, however, he was placed on the committee on Military Affairs, which was a very active an important body, of which Gen. Robert C. Schenk was chairman. Among the members of this committee was James G. Blain of Maine, as well as a number of other equally prominent men. While on this committee he frequently met Blain, who was a very industrious and active member.

About this time General Grant was considered a favorite candidate for the Presidency, and the so-called radical representatives of the House, including such men as Thaddeus Stevens, William D. Kelly and Henry Winter Davis, of Maryland, did not favor his nomination. Mr. Blaine predicted, however, that he would be nominated on the Republican ticket. This proved to be correct.

Through the influence of General Schenk a resolution was introduced in the House, tendering the thanks of Congress to General Hancock for his distinguished services during the war, and especially at Gettysburg. The matter was referred to the committee on Military Affairs, who ordered Ancona to report favorably to the House. This brought him into direct communication with General Hancock, who wrote a very handsome letter of acknowledgment. In consequence a close personal friendship sprang up between him and General Hancock; frequent conferences took place between them by reason of the prominent position of General Hancock as the favorite candidate of many Democrats for the Presidency. At the request of Mr. Glover, a prominent attorney of St. Louis, Hancock and Ancona met at Milwaukee, the General being at the time at the head of the Department at St. Paul. Subsequently, there were meetings of Norris town and Governor's Island, Col. De Puy Davis and B. Markley Boyer, among others being present.

He enjoyed very pleasant relations with Edward M. Stanton, the Secretary of War, having met Mr. Stanton at a party given in honor of J. Glancey Jones at the residence of Maj. William Flinn, who was an intimate acquaintance of President Buchanan's Attorney General and afterward his secretary of state. He recalls that during the conversation with Mr. Stanton, whom he met that evening, he expressed his views very freely and criticized the policy of the administration in the conduct of the war. Mr. Stanton did not dissent; Mr. Acuna's surprise can be imagined when he saw in the morning papers the next day that Mr. Stanton had been appointed Secretary of War to succeed Mr. Cameron.

After his failure to obtain the renomination for a fourth term to congress, in 1866, his colleagues from Pennsylvania had President Johnson name him for naval officer, port of Philadelphia. Strong and representative Republicans in his district had requested Senator Cameron and others to favor his confirmation by the Senate, this being done without his request and knowledge until one day communicated to him by Judge Kelly, of Philadelphia, in the committee-room on Military Affairs. He was frequently importuned to again run for Congress, but peremptorily declined.

Mr. Ancona had been connected with the fire department of the city of Reading for some years when on the suggestion of Gen. George M. Keim he took the presidency of the Reading Hose Company. General Keim headed a subscription with one hundred dollars toward the purchase of a steam fire-engine in 1858. With his accustomed energy and determination he succeeded in getting the first steam fire-engine into Reading at a cost of thirty-six hundred dollars. It was called the "Novelty," and was built at the Novelty Works in New York, by Lee & Larned. In 1867 he, with a few others, organized the Hampden Fire Company, of which he was the first president. He has been re-elected and occupied this office for forty-two years continuously. He is also a delegate to the Firemen's Union.

He has held the office of treasurer of the Reading firemen's Relief Association since its organization and has always been prominently and actively connected with the volunteer fire department of the city of Reading. He was a member of the Reading school board and the president of that body for several terms. He served for many years with Judge Stitzel and Charles Breneiser, Sr., as a member of the local board of charities, appointed by the Governor. Governor Pattison appointed him a trustee of the State Asylum at Harrisburg. He was one of the originators of the Reading Steam Forge, Cotton Mill, a director of the reading Savings Bank, and was identified as president, secretary and director with building and savings associations for over sixty years.

Having some relations with officers of the Fire Association of Philadelphia, he proposed to the fire department in the city of Reading the organization of an insurance company for insurance against loss by fire on a plan somewhat similar to the plan of the Fire Association of Philadelphia, which had grown out of the old volunteer fire department of that city, and had an accumulation at that time of some millions of assets. The necessary legislation was obtained, but he could not convince the representatives of the various fire companies in the Firemen's Union of the feasibility of his plan. He then organized a stock fire insurance company with a capital of $100,000, of which $35,000 was subscribed by his friends. Twenty per cent was paid in so that he had $7,500 in cash when the company organized. He started business July 8, 1867, and was elected secretary and treasurer. The company had a board of directors, composed of some of the leading business men of the city. Judge J. Pringle Jones was elected president, and Maj. James McKnight, vice-president. He served as secretary and treasurer for over thirty years and from the small business beginning f $7,500 he increased the paid-up capital to $250.00, and net surplus over and above the capital to $300,000.

He also, during this period, succeeded in organizing the Reading Trust Company, with many of the stockholders of the Reading Fire Insurance Company, and with the same board of directors and officers, he serving as secretary and treasurer of this company.

With the tendency to consolidation of insurance businesses by the insurance companies, by re-insurance and otherwise, with strong competition by companies with large aggregations of capital, and owing to excessive losses for two years previous to 1898, he was impressed with the belief that the Reading Fire Insurance Company had reached the greatest success it could attain under the adverse prospect, and he therefore determined to effect a re-insurance of the Reading Company with some large company to continue the Reading Company as before, and to have all its policies and liabilities under-written by such a company, taking all its revenues, and paying all its expenses and the rental, which would be equivalent to a dividend of from ten to twelve percent to the stockholders of the Reading Fire Insurance Company. After several negotiations with companies in the United States and Europe, where he went in 1896-97 with this purpose in view, after he had abandoned all hope of effecting such a transaction, he received a communication to enter into negotiations with the Hartford Fire Insurance Company. He met Mr. Chase, the president of the company, and seemed in a fair way of coming to an agreement, but the methods proposed to accomplish the purpose did not meet with his approval and were promptly declined. Mr. Edward Cluff, of New York, who had heard of these negotiations, had at the same time proposed an arrangement withe Scottish Alliance, which was declined. The president of the Scottish Alliance had been cabled for, however, and a meeting was arranged in New York for this purpose, which finally resulted in the sale of the stock of the Reading Fire Insurance Company, with the consent of a large number of the stockholders, the Scottish Alliance paying the stockholders twenty dollars a share, and from which they had received an average dividend of eight per cent per annum, for over thirty years.

During a period of fifty years Mr. Ancona was an active member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1848, with some associates and friends, he organized a lodge known as Chandler Lodge, No. 227, of which he became Worshipful Master. He was also a member of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania and received the degree of Knight Templar in Philadelphia. He was also appointed Eminent Commander, but he did not attend the meeting for the installation of officers by reason of the death of his father. In 1870, with a few friends, he applied for authority for another Commandery, K. T., which was accomplished and became known as Reading Commandery, No. 42. He was appointed to and accepted the position of Eminent Commander, with the understanding that he would do no more than preside for a year at their meetings. He wa appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the District of Berks, Lebanon and part of Montgomery counties in 1861-62-63-64, and 1874-75-76.

He was elected president of the Penn Street Passenger Railway, the first road in the city of Reading. He was also one of the projectors and directors of the Mt. Penn Gravity Railway Company in 1889, and has continued as director in it ever since.

Notwithstanding a long and busy life he has found time to travel extensively, not alone the many trips through every State and Territory of the United States, but frequent trips abroad and to the Indies. He has devoted his attention to public matters and the common good, giving him the advantage of his wide experience and close observation.

Philanthropic and charitable, and intense in all his undertakings, he has well filled to the fullest measure, and enjoyed the blessings of, a life of over fourscore years, retaining full possession of his vitality, energy and mental faculties.


ANDERSON FAMILY

p. 1092

Surnames: ANDERSON, HAMILTON, HETRICK, BOWER, BECHTEL, SALLADE, MAURER, CURTIS, JONES, BRITTON

Robert Anderson is the first of the Anderson family of whom there is definite record. He was born in Chester county an was an early resident of Reading where he worked as a shoemaker. He died there and is buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. His wife was Maria Hamilton, of Chester county. Their children were: John, a shoe merchant of Mahanoy City, where he died; Frederick H.; David, now deceased, a shoe merchant at Reading.

Frederick H. Anderson, son of Robert and father of John P., was born near Pottstown in Chester county, in 1829, and died at Reading in April, 1897, aged sixty-eight years. He, too, was a shoemaker by trade, although early in life he was a bricklayer, -- a trade he had learned upon coming to Reading in young manhood. Later he learned to be a shoemaker and finally became a shoe merchant. So excellent was his work that his customers sent to him for shoes of his own make as far off as New York City and even Texas. His religious affiliations were with St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. Mr. Anderson was married in 1855, at Reading to Lavinia Hetrick, a daughter of John and Hannah (Bower) Hetrick, of Heidelberg township, Berks county. Their children were: John P.; Ida Olivia, m. to Irwin Maurer of Reading, by whom she had these children -- Frederick T and Lillian May.

John P. Anderson was born Nov. 9, 1861, at Reading where he now resides making his home in the Fifteenth ward. His education was obtained in the schools of Reading, but when he was a mere lad he commenced clerking in his father's shoe store, and remained with him until 1895. As his father's business included making shoes, Mr. Anderson learned the shoe cutting trade, and he worked at the bench. When his father closed his business at Reading and opened a retail store at Pottstown, carrying on the manufacture of infant's shoes, of which he had made a specialty, Mr. Anderson went with him. After four years he returned to Reading and became a cutter for Curtis, Jones & Co., remaining in this position for three years. Then for five years he had charge of the cutting room for the Birdsboro Shoe Co., and in connection with this employment, he acted as an extra man for the United Traction Company. In 1899 he became connected with the firm of George M. Britton & Co., now located at Fourth and Penn streets, where he has since remained having charge of the shoe, comfort and blanket departments, and he is one of the most valued men of this large establishment.

Mr. Anderson is a member of St. Stephen's Reformed Church. Fraternally he is a member of Court Progress, No. 116, Foresters of America; Washington Camp No. 178, P. O. S. A., of Reading; K. of P., No. 65; and has been connected with the Liberty Fire Company since 1885, and is a member of the Beneficial Association.

On Oct. 16, 1884, Mr. Anderson was married to Lizzie M. Bechtel, a daughter of Franklin and Mary (Sallade) Bechtel, of Reading. Their children are: Corita M. and Helen. They reside in their own pleasant home at No. 138 West Greenwich street.


ANDERSON, CORNELIUS T.

p. 735

Surnames: ANDERSON, LONG, WUNDER, SETLEY

Cornelius T. Anderson, who was for many years a prominent manufacturer of jewelry in Reading, Pa., was born in 1851, in that city, and died June 28, 1901 in Redlands, Cal., son of David B. and Susan T. (Long) Anderson.

David B. Anderson was born in Chester county, and came to Berks county when a boy, receiving his education in the schools of the latter county. He learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed for some time, later engaging in the retail shoe business. This he carried on until his death, at the age of forty-four years. His wife, Susan T. Long, was a native of Lancaster county, Pa., and was the mother of two children, Cornelius T.; and Sylvanus, who was in the employ of the L. D. Anderson Jewelry Company.

Cornelius T. Anderson was educated in the schools of Reading, Pa., and after completing his literary training was employed as a clerk in a shoe store for a few years. He was then employed by his uncle, Fred Anderson, in the retail and wholesale shoe business as a traveling salesman, but later engaged in the manufacture of jewelry in Reading, becoming quite prosperous. Mr. Anderson then disposed of his business interests in Reading and removed to Redlands, Cal., where he had been living about five years at the time of his death. He was a man who made friends wherever he traveled, and had a wide acquaintance in the business world, where he was highly esteemed for his honesty and integrity. He was a member of the I. O. O. F., and the Royal Arcanum, and for seventeen years was recording secretary of the Y. M. C. A. In politics he was independent. He was connected with St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, and was active in the work of that denomination.

Mr. Anderson married, in 1876, Miss Margaret B. Wunder, daughter of Louis and Susan (Setley ) Wunder, and three children were born to this union: Louis engaged in the manufacture of jewelry in Reading; Ella; and Robert at school.


ANDERSON, AUGUSTUS R.

p. 571

Surnames: ANDERSON, RITTER, SPOHN, HARDLINE, REPPERT, MOSSER, FRUNHEISER, SEA CHRIST, NAGEL,MUTHART, RITTER, REPORT, LEVAN, REIFSNYDER, FOUST, SNYDER, KLINE, WELLINGTON, SCHNABEL, BODY, KELLEY, BAILEY, PATTISON, HARTMAN

Augustus R. Anderson, President of the Board of County Commissioners and a representative citizen of Mohnton, was born in Washington township, Berks county, March 21, 1865, son of Peter S. and Catherine (Ritter) Anderson.

The Anderson family to which Augustus R. belongs is of Irish origin, and is descended from James, a native of Ireland, who came to this country before the Revolution. He became a clerk in the Oley furnace and forge and is supposed to have boarded at "Woodchopper City." The little colony known by that name was located in Earl township, and sprang into existence about the middle of the eighteenth century.

James (2) Anderson was born in "Woodchopper City" in 1794, and lived to his ninetieth year, passing away in 1883. By trade, he was a shoemaker, but also farmed and was the owner of a tract of forty-four acres in Washington Township. He married Miss Rebecca Spohn, the daughter of Casper and Rebecca Spohn, and to their union children were born as follows: Hettie m. Gideon Hardline, a farmer at Shanesville; Matilda M. Daniel Mosser, of Reading; Sophia M. Henry Frunheiser, a farmer in Washington Township; Rebecca m. Jacob Seachrist, who moved to Fulton county, Ohio; Catherine m. Augustus Nagel, of Gilbertsville; James, a farmer and shoemaker of Washington Township, was twice married; Jeremiah, of New Berlinville, Pa., m Miss Catherine Muthart; Peter S.; John, twin brother of Peter, a blacksmith at Shanesville, was twice married; and Jacob died aged twenty-two.

Peter S. Anderson was born in Washington township, Sept. 24, 1835, and received most of his education in pay school in that section, with one year in the public schools. As a young man he learned the trade of wheelwright, at which he was employed but four and a half years, when he turned his attention to farming. In 1878, he moved to Reading and has since made his home there, except for a period of six years when he lived with his son Augustus at Mohnton. On Oct. 16, 1857, he married Catherine, daughter of Isaac an Anna (Mosser) Ritter, and they became the parents of: James of Boyertown, a victim of the Boyertown calamity of Jan. 13, 1908, m. Miss Laura Reppert; Henry died aged nineteen; Andora, deceased, m. Harry Levan; Lizzie m. Albert Reifsnyder; Jacob R. m. Miss Sallie Foust, and he conducts a secondhand furniture and auction house at No. 229 North Ninth Street, Reading, Pa.; Augustus R. m. Miss Rosa H. Snyder; Anna L. and Wellington both died during the "spotted fever" epidemic, and were buried in the same coffin; Ida died of the same disease two weeks later; Irwin m. Miss Norah Kline, and is a barber in Reading, Pa.; and Kate m. James Bailey of Reading.

Augustus R. Anderson was sent to the public schools during his boyhood, but left at an early age to go to work, and for five years was employed as a clerk at the "Union House" in Reading, the beginning of his association with hotel life. The next four years, he was in charge of the "Oley Line Hotel" at Lime Kiln, and in 1888, he engaged for a time as clerk in a hat store, and then was employed by a tea and coffee house. In 1891, he was ready to return to the hotel business and accordingly leased the "Mohnsville (now Mohnton) Hotel" from Frank F. Mosser for two years. Results proved entirely satisfactory and April 27, 1893, Mr. Anderson bought the place and at once proceeded to remodel it, adding all the latest improvements. The house has twenty-eight rooms, is well managed and regularly patronized by a large proportion of the traveling public.

Mr. Anderson is essentially a public-spirited man and has done much to add to the convenience and pleasure of his fellow citizens. One of his progressive enterprises was to purchase the Body estate at Mohnsville (now Mohnton), held at a high figure, and to erect on that site the upper station at Mohnton, a great accommodation. Just opposite this he built in the spring of 1906 the Mohnton Auditorium, standing near the trolley tracks. This building, 50X100 feet, is finished throughout in yellow pine and hard wood lumber, with all modern appointments, and is used for sociable, band rehearsals, basket ball, poultry shows, entertainments of all kinds. In 1907 there was added at a considerable expense an artistically equipped stage Politically, Mr. Anderson has made himself well known in Berks county, working in the Democratic ranks. He has served as Township committeeman, county and state delegate, acting in the latter capacity at the convention where Hon. Robert E. Pattison was nominated for governor. In 1904 he was candidate for director of the poor, and polled a large vote.

Mohnton became a borough in the spring of 1906, and Mr. Anderson was elected to the first council and chosen as the first President, thus evidencing his popularity in a community not fettered by party lines. On Nov. 3, 1908, he was elected to the office of County commissioner by the sanction of 16,204 voters, a compliment of no mean significance, and of this board he was also chosen president. He was one of the organizers of the Mohnton National Bank, in which he has held a directorship since its founding. Socially Mr. Anderson is equally prominent and popular. He belongs to the F. O. E., Aerie No. 66, Reading; Eagles' Mountain Home; the K. of P. No. 485, of Mohnton; D. O. K. K. No. 37 of Reading; and I. O. O. F. No 518, and Rebekah degree; the Knights of Friendship, Fidelis No. 5 (all of Reading); to the P. O. S. of A., No. 221, of Oley Line, also P. O. S. of A. Commandery Lexington No. 2, of Reading; the Liberty Fire Company, No. 5, and the Schuylkill Camp Club of Reading.

On Nov. 25, 1882, Mr. Anderson married Miss Rosa H. Snyder, daughter of Jacob an Emma R. (Hartman) Snyder, the former a landlord in Exeter township. Three children were born to them: Emma May; Wellington S., who died May 1, 1896, aged eleven years; and Edna.


ANDERSON, WILLIAM S.

p. 747

Surnames: ANDERSON, DEEM, EACHES, RENNOLL, SAVAGE, BARRETT, DOREMUS, ALBRIGHT, RENNOLL, SAVAGE, GREENWALT, BARRETT, GLASSER, RUPP

William S. Anderson, who conducts a thriving business at No. 823 Penn street, Reading, dealing in hats, shoes and men's furnishing goods, is a native of Pennsylvania, born Sept. 23, 1860, in Lebanon, Lebanon county, son of William B. Anderson, Sr., a native of Connecticut.

William S. Anderson, Sr., went to Philadelphia, Pa., in early life, and thence to Lebanon, Pa., where he engaged in the manufacture of cigars during the time of the Civil war. He was very successful in this line, but later engaged in the tanning business with a Mr. Greenwalt, under a firm name of Greenwalt & Anderson, they being the pioneers of the special process of tanning hides, in this State, the process being later adopted by all leading tanners. Mr. Anderson continued in this business until his death, five years later, at the age of forty-five years He married Margaret Eaches, who survives him and makes her home with her son, William S. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson had two children: Nellie G., the wife of Albert D. Deem, of the firm of Close & Deem, Reading, PA.; and William.

William S. Anderson Jr., came to Reading in 1870, and was here educated. His first employment was with Philip Albright, a pioneer local express man located at Fourth and Penn streets, with whom he remained three years. The next two years were spent with the Reading Hardware Company, in the lock department, after which he went to learn the hatters' business with William H. Rennoll & Co., at the corner of Tenth and Spruce streets. After learning his trade, Mr. Anderson engaged with R. H. Savage & Co., at Thirteenth and Muhlenberg streets, for thirteen years, at the end of which time he was employed by Bell & Caldwell of New York, for whom he traveled two years. Returning to Reading Mr. Anderson embarked in business with John F. Doremus, at No. 823 Penn street, engaging in the sale of men's furnishing goods, shoes and hats, under the firm name of Doremus & Anderson from Sept. 25, 1895, until Jan. 1, 1904, when Mr. Anderson purchased the interest of his partner, and since this time has continued in business on his own account, carrying a full line of hats, shoes, and men's furnishing goods of all kinds. His straightforward way of doing business and the fine quality of the goods which he offers for sale have won him the confidence and patronage of the people of Reading to a large degree, and he is enjoying an ever-increasing trade.

Mr. Anderson married, in 1895, Mrs. Annie Barrett Glasser, and they reside at No. 914 Franklin street, Reading. Mrs. Anderson was the mother of two children by her former marriage, Ella F., the wife of Rev. H. Rupp; and Jean M. In religion he is a member of Grace Lutheran Church, and he has served as deacon and elder.


ANGSTADT, GEORGE P.

p. 1454

Surnames: ANGSTADT, HERMAN, FEGELY, HERRING, JAMES, HEPNER, HILBERT, WESSNER

George P. Angstadt, proprietor of the "Pennsylvania House." at Kutztown, was born in that borough, Oct. 13, 1868, a member of an early settled Berks county family.

Samuel Angstadt, the great-grandfather, was a farmer of Rockland Township. He married Catharine Herman, and their children were: Martin, Daniel, Peter, Dinah, and Angelina.

Peter Angstadt, son of Samuel, was born July 4, 1808, and he died Jan. 29, 1890. He was long sexton of St. John's Union Church at Kutztown, and was a very highly esteemed man in his community. He married Eliza Fegely, and they had the following children: John, James, William, Sarah, Louisa, Samuel, George, Emma, and Mary.

James Angstadt, son of Peter and father of George P., was born in August, 1841, and his death occurred Jan. 15, 1894, when he was aged fifty-three years. In his earlier life he was a brick manufacturer, but in his later life a butcher at Kutztown. His residence was on White Oak street. His widow, Mary (Herring) Angstadt, who still lives at the old home, was a daughter of John and Lydia Herring, of Greenwich township. Four children -- two sons and two daughters -- were born to James Angstadt and wife, namely: John H. of Kutztown; George P.; Lizzie (m. David James of Kutztown); and Mamie (m. Alvin J. Hepner, of Kutztown).

George P. Angstadt received his education in the public schools and when eighteen years of age began to learn the carriage painters trade from Charles Miller & Son, serving a full four years' apprenticeship. The effect of the paint on his health, however, was so injurious that he was obliged to abandon the trade. He then learned shoe making at the Keystone shoe factory, and there he worked for twelve years. On Jan. 3, 1900, he became proprietor of the "Pennsylvania House," which he has since conducted with great success. He is known all over the county for his turkey dinners and political feasts.

Mr. Angstadt's fraternal connections are with Castle No. 70, Knights of the Golden Eagles; Aerie No. 839, Fraternal Order of Eagles; and with the Sons of Veterans, Allentown. He and his family belong to St. Paul's Reformed Church. Mr. Angstadt is an active political worker, and since 1906 he has been committeeman from the borough. He has frequently been a delegate to the county conventions, and has held a number of local offices. His influence is a valuable asset to any candidate for office in the county.

On May 23, 1890, Mr. Angstadt was married to Miss Alice Hilbert, of Maxatawney township. Three children have blessed this union, namely: Ella M., a skilled musician, and a graduate of Keystone State Normal, class of 1908; Anna, a graduate of the borough high school. class of 1908, also a musician; and Marguerite J., a student in school.


ANGSTADT, JOHN FRANKLIN

p. 1229

Surnames: ANGSTADT, REINHART, HERMAN, SANDER, SCHLENCKER, FEGELY, BECKER, HERRING, GRAUER, EYRICH, HARRIS, MORRIS, BLOCK, ADAMS, STEIN, HEFFNER, HILBERT

John Franklin Angstadt, the well-known proprietor of a flourishing hat and gents' furnishing business on Main Street, Kutztown, Berks county, was born in Kutztown, Jan. 16, 1872, son of Samuel and Esther (Reinhart) Angstadt.

Samuel Angstadt, great-grandfather of John F., was the grandson of George Angstadt, the immigrant, who came to this country from Germany, Sept. 28, 1733. Samuel Angstadt was married to Catherine Herman, and lived in Rockland township, having these children: Martin, who lived in Pricetown; Daniel, who lived in Oley township; Peter; Dina m.. Henry Sander of Kutztown; and Angelina m. Daniel Schlencker of Wessnersville.

Peter Angstadt, grandfather of John F., was a well-known citizen of Kutztown, and was for many years sexton of St. John's Union Church. He was born July 4, 1808, and died Jan. 29, 1890. Mr. Angstadt married Eliza Fegely, and they had these children: John m. Hetty Becker and lived at Emaus, Pa.,; James m. Mary Herring and died about 1891; William m. Hettie Grauer and lives at Kutztown; Sarah m. John Eyrich and lives at Reading, Pa.; Louisa m. William Harris and lives in Indiana; Samuel m. Esther Reinhart; George died single in 1900, aged forty-nine years; Emma m. James Morris and lives in Philadelphia; and Mary m. Louis Block and lives in Kutztown.

Samuel Angstadt, father of John F., was a well-known carriage painter and trimmer and worked for many years for R. Miller and Sons, the extensive carriage manufacturers of this community. Mr. Angstadt was born in 1850 and passed away in 1884. Mr. Angstadt married Esther Reinhart, daughter of Samuel and Fietta (Adams) Reinhart and they had these children: Llewellyn, who married Annie Stein, and John Franklin.

John Franklin Angstadt attended the public schools and the Keystone State Normal School, and at the age of fourteen years was apprenticed to Charles D. Herman to learn the tailoring trade. He remained in Mr. Herman's employ for sixteen years, but in 1903 engaged in business on his own account, and in a few years has built up a large and profitable trade in his various lines. He is a young man of enterprise and progressive ideas, and possesses much business ability.

Mr. Angstadt was married April 4, 1894, to Katie Heffner, daughter of Henry and Tama (Hilbert) Heffner, and two children have been born to this union: Clarence Henry, and Esther R., who died Aug. 7, 1906, from an accident, aged four years, one month and twenty-one days.


ANGSTADT, JOSHUA

p. 1453

Surnames: ANGSTADT, HAAK, SCHAPPEL, HARTMAN, LEVAN, HEFFNER, HEIST, HILL, SCHAEFFER, ROTHERMEL, MENARD

Joshua Angstadt, residing near Kutztown, was born in Rockland township, one half mile south of Stony Point, Dec. 15, 1850.

Rockland township has been for several generations the home of this branch of the family, and there Solomon Angstadt, grandfather of Joshua, was born. By occupation he was a wood-chopper. For some years he lived in Schuylkill county, but afterward returned to his native township to end his days. He died at the home of his son Abraham, near Pricetown. He married and became the father of ten children, as follows: Betsy, m. to John Haak; Benjamin, of Schuylkill Haven, who became the father of Helena, Mary and Kate; Judith, m. to Jeremiah Schappel; Daniel, of Lyons, who was the father of Henry, Mary, and Oliver; Catherine, m. to a Mr. Hartman; Susanna, m. to David Levan; Peter; Abraham, of Rockland township; John, of Fleetwood, and later of Reading, who had children -- Peter, Oscar, Solon, Frank and John; and Solomon.

Peter Angstadt, son of Solomon, was born in Rockland township, and there he died in January 1833, aged sixty-two years, and is buried at Dryville. For many years he was engaged as a shoemaker, but later turned his attention to farming. His wife, Helena Heffner, born April 18, 1824, was a daughter of Andraes Heffner, and they had eleven children: Samuel; Jairus; William, whose children were -- Fred, Robert, Winfield, Carrie, Peter, Bertolet, and Katie; Hannah, m. to Nathan Heist; Louisa, who died unmarried; Sarah, m. to Jonas Hill of Maxatawny; Peter, who died aged twenty-three years; and Edwin, who lives in Maxatawny near his brother Joshua.

Joshua Angstadt was reared to farming pursuits, and worked for his father until he attained his majority. He then learned the carpenter's trade under the guidance of Henry Schaeffer, now deceased, and this occupation he followed for fourteen years as a journeyman in Fleetwood, Kutztown, Leesport and surrounding districts. In 1880 he came to Maxatawny township, where he bought one of the most valuable farms in the district. This consists of fifty-two acres, and he has it well improved with up-to-date conveniences. His walks are of cement and the lawn around the comfortable residence is always in a near well-kept condition, making a most attractive home. In politics Mr. Angstadt is a Democrat, and for six years served as school director, two years of which time he was secretary of the board. He and his family attend St. John's Lutheran Church, in which he has been an elder since 1907.

On June 18, 1878, Mr. Angstadt was married to Louisa Heffner, daughter of Charles and Hannah (Rothermel) Heffner, and granddaughter of Joseph Rothermel of Union county. Four children have been born to them: Lizzie H., m. to Samuel Menard, of Reading; Solon, who died aged twenty-three years, eleven months, eleven days; Odella H., and Leroy.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:52:27 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.