At the beginning...
Yellow Creek was first known as Steeltown for Abraham Steel, who built a grist mill in 1855 along with Jonathan Carruthers. The first store was started about 1866 by McCalmont and Byers. J. W. Smith bought the store in 1868. Smith also became the first postmaster.
The post office was first known as Hopewell (different than today's Hopewell), then changed to Yellow Creek, which is became how the community was known.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project