At the beginning...
Located on an old indian trader's trail leading from Ft. Louden to Fort Bedford, a sawmill was built by D. Brollier, and a powdermill was located there, about 1756. Samuel Dilworth bought property from Samuel Tate in 1816, and a village was laid out on part of that land in 1857. The first building was erected about 1858 by Thomas M. Ritchey, who kept the first store and tavern.
John Woy had a mill built before 1830. It was known as the dry mill because it frequently stopped for lack of water. Tatesville began as a small mining village, with growth occurring after the Huntingdon & Broad Top Railroad came through in 1862-63.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project