At the beginning...
St. Clairsville was laid out about 1820 on land owned by Henry Beckley, who built the first house on the site. The first store was run by Edwin Vickroy, and Peter A. Amick had the first hotel and was also a cooper and the first postmaster. His son George became a merchant. Samuel Sill established the first tannery and his son James continued the business.
The borough was officially created on September 6, 1867.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project