At the beginning...
Schellsburg was founded by John Schell, who came to the area from Montgomery County in 1800. He purchased land known as Nine-Mile Town, then in 1801 bought adjoining land, where Schellsburg was built. Laid out in 1810, Schellsburg became an official borough in 1838, the second borough created in the county.
John Anderson built the first house within the current town limits in 1776, before John Schell arrived. Schell built the next house, and operated the first store and tavern. Other early settlers were John Clark, a tanner; Michael Reed, cabinetmaker and carpenter; John Lindsey, a hatter; and Frederick Goeb, a printer.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project