At the beginning...
John Oster was an early settler of the area, coming here in 1771 from Hagerstown, Maryland, and buying a tract of land in 1789 which he farmed the rest of his life. His son Frederick followed in his footsteps, and his son, William took over ownership. William laid out the village of Osterburg in 1876 on other land and erected the first store, as well as several buildings, though he didn't move there until 1882.
The first mill on this site was built by Philip Crissman in 1798, as well as a saw mill.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project