At the beginning...
Simon Beard built the first house here in 1844, and it was known as Beard's Crossroads until 1863 when the post office was established. David F. Buck, who also built the first store in 1849, was the first postmaster.
Other early settlers include David Beck and J. Z. Replogle, merchants; Adam Haderman, who ran a tannery in addition to serving as justice of the peace and township auditor; Michael Dull, shoemaker and farmer; William Dull, saddle maker; Michael Fox, blacksmith; and William Hurley, hotel keeper.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project