At the beginning...
Martin Loy came to America from Germany in 1774, first settling in Bucks County, PA. In 1788 he came to Bedford County, and in 1795 moved to the future site of Loysburg on land originally owned by Charles Cox. Here he farmed, built a grist mill, and kept a store. A small settlement began around him which was named Loysburg. Loy's sons, Martin and David, took over the properties, and in 1844 they were sold to James Patton and Col. John Bingham, with Patton soon becoming sole owner. Loysburg was then renamed Pattonville. In 1860 the property was sold to Daniel Bare, and in 1864 sold to William H. Aaron. The name was eventually restored to Loysburg.
Martin Loy, Jr., was the first postmaster, followed by his son, John in 1838. John Dittmar was a saddler since his arrival from Germany in 1838. D. B. Armstrong was a merchant, a veteran of the Civil War, and was elected to the state legislature. Also in the war was B. F. Jamison, who was wounded at Antietam and also a prisoner in Andersonville. He was a school teacher and justice of the peace. Daniel Karns and son, George W., were cabinetmakers and furniture dealers.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project