At the beginning...
The first known settler in the area was Samuel Waters, who lived near Wills Creek and built a bridge across it before 1800. About 1800, Jacob Burkett and Amos Raley started a boat-building business at the settlement called Bridgeport. Boats were needed to float grain down to Cumberland, MD. In 1850, Enoch Cade opened a store, and in 1865 a one-room school was opened. Samuel Miller began laying out a town on his land north of the creek. In 1871 the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad first came through the town going from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh, PA, and the Bedford and Bridgeport Railroad was built from Mt. Dallas (Everett) to Cumberland, MD. In September of1877 the town was incorporated, and in December of that year the town was renamed Hyndman in honor of the B&O's Connellsville Division Railroad Superintendent E. K. Hyndman.
The first elected officials Chief Burgess S. M. Wilhelm, and Council members J. W. Madore, W. S. Mullin, Samuel Miller, and Henry Miller. Early industries included the manufacturing of bricks and limestone.
The following two paragraphs are from "The Kernel of Greatness" by the Bedford Heritage Commission, Inc., Pg. 136-137, submitted by Karen Davis.
The Church of the Brethren in Hyndman owes its origin almost entirely to the faith and labor of one man James Harden. When he and his wife moved to Hyndman in 1881, they found themselves the only Brethren there. Nonetheless, Mr. Harden was determined that they should remain true to their faith.
Near their home was a former church that had been converted into a residence. Mr. Harden paid $175 for the property, and began to make it once more into a house of worship. Over a period of years he labored at night after his return from his regular day's work. At last he finished the task. A Meyersdale church donated pews. All was ready - but no Bethren preacher was to be had. Mr. Harden tried without success to get a minister. Three to whom he wrote never replied. A fourth refused the appointment. Then the tired, discouraged man told his family, "If no minister comes before the last Sunday in October, it will be too late for me." His premonition came true. He died on Monday, October 28, 1887.
In 1889 the National Bank of South Pennsylvania was opened in Hyndman. In 1905 this bank would fail. It was purchased by J. J. Hoblitzell, giving it the name it has today - The Hoblitzell National Bank. In 1892 the Hyndman Water Company was completed, in 1893 the electric plant opened, the telephone exchange was begun in 1906, and in 1927 a fire company was organized.
In 1967 Thomas V. Cunningham became Mayor. This man had come to Hyndman from Connellsville, PA, and had thrown himself quickly into civic affairs. He would remain mayor until the end of 1997. Not only a very popular mayor, Cunningham was active in many county-wide projects, representing Hyndman but always working for the general well-being of everyone.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project