At the beginning...
First called Fairplay, the town was laid out in 1855 on land owned by A. W. Evans. He had built the first house there some years earlier, and the second house was built by Lewis Anderson. The first store was opened in 1854 by Gen. Lemuel Evans, and G. W. Figard built his house and the first hotel in 1855. Coaldale was incorporated as a borough in 1865.
Other early settlers included Henry Rees, a miner and farmer from Wales, who came in 1850. Gilbert McIntyre of Scotland followed the same pursuits when he came in 1864, until he became a merchant in 1875. James Davis came to Coaldale from Maryland in 1861, in which he enlisted in the army and was severely wounded at Antietam. He became postmaster in 1871.
The post office at Coaldale Borough is Six Mile Run.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project