At the beginning...
William Evans built the first house in 1823 on land he owned that became Clearville. Philip Evans (relationship unknown) built and ran the first hotel there. James Marshall came from Fulton County in 1835. He was the first merchant in Clearville and also named the town. The first physician was a Dr. Reichter.
Other early residents in or near the town were: George Sigel, who came from Germany in 1818; his son Stephen Sigel who was a basketmaker and served in the Mexican and Civil Wars; and John McGee who came from Ireland in 1830, and his son Philip who became a merchant there.
Clearville - In Monroe Township 8 miles from
Everett on a tableland lying between Ray's mountain on the east and Warrior's
ridge on the west. It contains one hotel, a flouring mill, a wagon shop,
two blacksmith shops, two churches, two schools and about thirty-two
residences (in 1900). From Bedford 16 miles southeast.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project