At the beginning...
John Alsop built a grist mill about 1850 in Buffalo Mills, the first industry there. The first store there was operated by John C. Devore. M. C. Miller was a teacher and farmer before serving four terms as justice of the peace, as well as operating a large flour and grist mill that he built in 1868.
The railroad came through and a station built in 1871, leading to more settlement. Other early citizens of the community were James L. Norton from Canada, a cabinetmaker and millwright, and John Goad, a farmer born in England.
Buffalo Mills - In Harrison Township, a station on the Bedford Division of P.R.R. The village stand on top of Buffalo Ridge which constitutes the water shed dividing the head waters of branches of the Potomac and Juniata rivers. It has two general stores, a grist mill, Odd Fellow's Hall, some small shops, a hotel and about twenty dwellings (in 1900). From Bedford 14 miles southwest.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project