At the beginning...
Levi Carpenter built the first house here, and in 1867 James H. Woy bought it. The village began when a station was built there for the new railroad in 1871. William Hill started the first store, and the Post Office was established in 1874 with Z. T. Carpenter as the first postmaster.
Bard - A station on Bedford Division of Pennsylvania Railroad, in Harrison Township - contains a store, blacksmith and wagon shop, school house, about fifteen private residences and a flouring mill near by (in 1900). From Bedford 14 1/2 miles by rail, southwest.
Return to the Bedford County Town Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project