West Providence Township
Indian Relics- A Settlers' Fort- The Pack-Horse Trail- Early Roads- Providence Township Organized- Its Vast Extent- Pioneers- Their Methods of Work and Pleasure- Early Mills- Representative Families of Today- Churches- The Borough of Everett- The Bloody Run Affair- The Growth of a Prosperous Town- Sketch of Industries- Personal Items- Churches, Schools and Societies.
THE beautiful hills and fertile bottoms of the eastern part of the country must have been a frequent and favorite resort of the aborigines. Indian relics, such as arrow-heads, spear-heads and pieces of pottery, have been discovered from time to time by the people of West Providence township, in such quantities as to clearly demonstrate that the forests of this locality were once the hunting-grounds of the savages. The legendary lore, however, is so vague and uncertain in its character, that it is not worth while to attempt to sketch it here. We have authentic data proving that several settlers were within the present bounds of this township some years prior to the revolutionary war. There is a nook in the rocks along the west bank of Sheaver's creek, which is locally known as Fort Defiance. Here, tradition tells us, the early white settlers constructed a rude fortification, to which they sometimes fled for security. The last vestiges of the rude structure have long since been torn away. The old "fort" stood on land now owned by Adam Shuss, who is our authority for the foregoing statements.
Two ancient pack-horse trails, doubtless the earliest routes of travel through this county, passed through this township, one south and the other north of the river. Traces of the latter are still visible in uncleared lands. "Pack-horse crossing" on Brush creek still perpetuates the memory of the old trail. "Poorman's road," so called (although Jacob Borman was the name of the surveyor who laid it out), very nearly follows the southern trail. This road, the Old State road (north of the present turnpike road), and the turnpike itself were among the earliest routes of travel in this township.
Providence township was organized about the year 1780. It then included all that part of Fulton county known as Brush Creek valley, and extended westward to the Bedford township line. In 1854, Providence was divided into two election districts, East and West Providence. In 1857 Snake Spring township was organized from West Providence and Colerain.
The voting places of the township have often been changed. Elections were first held at the house where John P. Weaverling now lives; afterward at Squire Fisher's; then at Bloody Run. After that village became a borough, elections were held for a time at the schoolhouse, near W.W. Sparks'. The present voting place is Everett borough.
The pioneers of this township were chiefly English-speaking people, of Scotch or Irish ancestry. They came from the older settlements in this state, as well as from Maryland, Virginia and other parts of the country. They lived principally by hunting at first, and it was long before marks of substantial improvement were made. They were generally poor, but contented. Their wants were few and easily supplied. To be sure, there were hardships and perils; but after danger from Indians had passed, no people were more cheerful and happy than these early settlers. For amusements, there were "frolics," and gatherings of various kinds for labor and recreation; visiting was much practiced; hunting was a never-failing source of pleasure. Simple in manners and tastes, the early settlers generally led contented lives, little thinking of the value their services would be to posterity. From the time when first "the glad music of human voices awoke the silence of the forests" until the present day, the people of Providence township have been steady, thrifty and virtuous. "A gradual increase in wealth and population unmarked by unusual events," is the report which an old resident gives concerning this locality. Few, if any, distilleries were ever operated in the township; churches and schools have been liberally supported. The fires of patriotism blazed brightly during the war, and a large number of gallant boys in blue were mustered into the field from the hills and valleys of old Providence.
John Richey, from County Tyrone, Ireland, settled on the river a short distance below Everett, in 1772. His son George remained on the old homestead. The other members of the family scattered to various parts of the country. John, son of George, occupied the farm after his father, and John's son George is the present owner.
About the year 1778, Joseph Sparks came from Frederick county, Maryland, and settled on a farm south of the river. His sons, Solomon, Joseph, James and John, all lived and died in this vicinity, save Solomon. He died in the State of Indiana. Solomon, Joseph and James were members of a company of soldiers from this county in the war of 1812, and served till the close of the war. Solomon was captain of the company. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1811, and, in 1812, captain of the company referred to- the 2d battalion of the 2d (rifles) regiment. John Sparks resided on the old homestead. His widow (nee Rebecca Wareham) is now living in Everett. His family consisted of six children, five of whom are living. Two of the sons, Joseph and John, were in the late war. They are now in business in Everett.
Joseph Sparks, Sr., and his sons became large landowners, holding nearly all the land on Clear ridge, from the river southward nearly five miles. James Sparks was a major of militia. He married Nancy Rogers, of Frederick county, Maryland, and lived on the farm now owned by his grandson, W.W. Sparks. At his death he was possessed of about sixteen hundred acres of land in this township. He was the father of William, Daniel, Absalom, David, Mary and Elizabeth, all of whom lived in this county. Elizabeth still survives and is now Mrs. Wilson L. Weeks, Everett. David lived on the homestead of his father. He had two sons, but one of whom is living- Wilson W. Sparks, a prominent farmer and an influential citizen, who in the late war served as a lieutenant in Co. K, 208th Penn. regt. David Sparks died in 1869.
It is related that James Sparks and one of his brothers, after holding a tract of land some years conjointly, decided to divide it, and settled the question as to who should have the upper or more valuable part of the property by taking a stick and "choosing up" after the manner of boys playing ball. This incident will illustrates the slight value set upon land by the early settlers.
Abraham Bussard and family settled in Black valley, when all around them was a wilderness. The old gentleman followed wagoning a number of years. After him, his son John lived to a ripe old age and died on the farm which is now owned by his son William.
Joseph Sparks and Michael Hevner owned mills on Clear creek, which were probably the first built in Black valley. Joseph Disbrow, William and Joseph McDaniel and the Sparkses were among the earliest residents on Clear ridge.
John Williams, the progenitor of the Williamses of this county, was a tailor by trade, who came from Goshen, Orange county, New York, as early as 1780, and settled on a tract near the banks of Brush creek. This tract was called the "Great Savannah," and was warranted in the name of John Allison, for whom it was surveyed, June 26, 1765. Williams was a native of Wales. His wife was born in Goshen, and her maiden name was Hannah Finch. He followed his trade in connection with farming. He died in 1809, and was buried in the family burying-ground upon the tract. Mrs. Williams subsequently removed to Indiana, where she died at an advanced age. The children- William, Charles, Solomon, John, Anthony, Samuel, Isaac, and Hannah (French)- scattered widely. John and Solomon remained in this county, John living near Schellsburg, where he died at a ripe old age. Solomon lived where Wilson McDaniel now resides. He died in 1813. His wife was Mary Clark, and their children were: Hannah, Samuel, Nancy, Jeduthun, Julia, Solomon, Jonas, William and Asa. All reached mature years. Asa, now an old resident, is the sole survivor. He followed teaching during the greater portion of his early life, and is one of the most intelligent and best informed men of the township.
Samuel Clark, a native of Ireland, removed from Delaware and settled on Shaver's creek about 1780. He lived to be nearly ninety years of age. Two of his sons, Thomas and Andrew, and a daughter, Mrs. Williams, died in this county.
David Buck, an early pioneer, settled near the river.
The Weaverlings are an old and prominent family, of German descent. Peter lived on the farm where his son, John P., now resides. He learned wagonmaking in Chambersburg when a young man, and worked at that trade for many years at his shop on the old State road. After the turnpike was built he moved to it and continued his trade. He also owned a sawmill. He died in 1854. He was twice married; first, to Elizabeth Hollandshait, who bore two daughters, one of whom is living. His second wife, Anna Redinger, had seven sons and four daughters. Of the sons, five are living, and of the daughters, two. Three of the sons were in the late war. Jacob was killed at the battle of Antietam. Stephen and William were also in the service, the latter enlisting in Illinois. John P., the oldest son of Peter Weaverling, has always resided near his birthplace. He learned carpentry when a young man, and followed that business until 1862. He has since kept hotel in Everett nine years and resided upon his farm the rest of the time.
Jacob Weaverling, a brother of Peter, kept hotel on the State road and afterward on the pike. In 1843 he erected the stone building which is now J.P. Weaverling's residence. John, another brother, was in the war of 1812, and died in prison, of starvation.
At an early date Uriah Hughes emigrated from New Jersey and settled on land which is now the J.B. Smith farm, where he lived several years. He afterward went to Ohio, and there died at the residence of one of his sons. Uriah, his youngest son, lived and died in this township. He married Rebecca Hunner, who bore five children, one of whom is still living- Mrs. Eliza McDaniel, now in her seventieth year. Mrs. McDaniel's husband, John McDaniel, was born in Providence township, and was the son of Amos McDaniel, an early settler. He died in 1847. He was the father of nine children, three now living: Wilson, Susan and George, all in this county. Wilson and George are well-known citizens of West Providence. George and his brother Lewis were both soldiers in the late war, in the nine-months and three-years service. Lewis was killed during his second term of service.
Among the early settlers on the south side of the river was Valentine Holler, who moved from the eastern part of the state. Two of his children, Susan (single) and Rebecca (Manspeaker), are still living, the former in Everett and the latter in Allegheny City. Solomon, son of Valentine, was a soldier of 1812. He died on the old homestead. The farm is now owned by his son Philip.
Peter Morgart and family were early settlers in Fulton county, whence they removed to West Providence. Baltzer, son of Peter, was born in 1785. He married Mary Sparks, who was born in this township in 1798. They had eleven children, one of whom, Abram, lives upon the old homestead. The house, a substantial stone structure, was built by Baltzer Morgart as a tavern, and kept by him many years. He also held some local offices and was closely identified with the interests of the Providence Baptist church. Abram Morgart is married to Miss Sarah McElwain. They have seven children living and two deceased.
Christian Fisher, a native of Germany, moved from Maryland to McConnell's cove, Fulton county, with his family. Ludwig Fisher, the father of Joseph Fisher, Esq., was born in Maryland, and came to this state with his parents. Joseph Fisher was born in McConnell's cove. When young, he learned the trade of millwright, which he followed fifteen years. He next kept store at Broad Top five years, and in 1857 moved to his present farm. He has held the office of justice of the peace eighteen years, discharging his duties in a most faithful manner. In 1830 he married Mary Cook, of Huntingdon county.
The Woy family were early settlers, and resided on Bunker's hill, in West Providence township. There William F. was born. He afterward lived in Cheney Loop of the Raystown branch, on the farm now belonging to his son, Ezekiel C., and thence removed to East Providence township. E.C. Woy is one of a family of ten children. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in Co. K, 208th Penn. regt.
Uriah Hughes, when three years of age, came to Clear ridge with his parents from Bucks county. Two of his brothers, George and Joseph, went to Ohio. Uriah remained in this county, and died in 1866, in his seventy-second year. He followed bricklaying, plastering and farming. He was brought up by Quaker parents. He married Delilah, daughter of Solomon Sparks. His children were Phebe (Noble), Blair county, and William and Bartley, this county. Bartley Hughes, a prominent citizen, has always resided in the neighborhood where he now lives. He has a fine farm, bought in 1877. His wife is Susan Leader, daughter of David Leader, a descendant of an early family.
Augustus Snider is of German descent, and is one of a family of four sons and four daughters. His parents came from Saxony, Germany, to Maryland, thence to Friend's cove, in this county, and from that place to a point near Everett. One of the sons died in Andersonville prison during the war. Augustus served two terms in the army, first in the three-months service, and second in Co. K, 208th Penn. regt., and participated in the battles of Fort Steadman and Petersburg. His wife is Anna, daughter of Capt. Adam Weaverling, of Everett.
John Armstrong was born in Snake Spring township. His father, Samuel Armstrong, was also a native of the same township. John has always followed farming. His wife, whose maiden name was Susan Miller, has borne twelve children, eleven of whom are living. In 1876 Mr. Armstrong purchased his present farm of two hundred acres from Jacob Weaverling. The family belong to the Reformed church.
The Price family, an early one in this county, is represented in this township by the descendants of Abraham Price, who moved from "Dutch Corners" to West Providence, where he lived to an advanced age. His sons, Michael and John, lived here afterward. The former is in Maryland. John died in 1865 from the effect of disease contracted while in the army, where he served one year. His wife was Eve Garlick, now Mrs. Joseph Weaverling. The children of John and Eve Price are David, Gideon, Mary J. and Lizzie, all of whom live in the same neighborhood. Gideon and John bought land from Mr. Sparks, and have resided upon it seven years.
The O'Neils were an early family, whose descendants still reside in this township.
Daniel Sams, an old resident and a prominent citizen of this township, has followed surveying since 1838.
Abraham Avey came to this county from Adams county and settled in Black valley. He died in this township, leaving a large family of small children, of whom Joseph, William H., Mary and Catharine are living, and Henry, John and Susanna, deceased. Joseph and William H. have a fine farm which they purchased in 1867. William H. Avey served through the war, enlisting in the fall of 1861 in Co. C, 54th Penn. regt. and re-enlisting in Co. H, of the same regiment; he was discharged June 18, 1865. He lost an arm at Petersburg, April 2, 1865. He is now serving his second term as justice of the peace. Joseph Avey, in 1864, enlisted in Co. K, 208th Penn. regt.
David L. Suter is a grandson of Jonathan Suter, who lived and died in Somerset county. D.L. Suter's father was also named Jonathan. He settled in Napier township, where he reared a family of six sons and six daughters. Of the children, only D.L. has lived in this part of the county. He learned the trade of plastering when young, and has since followed it. From 1867 to 1869 he kept a hotel, without liquors, half way between Everett and Hopewell. He then located at his present home. Five of Mr. Sutor's brothers were in the late war. He was detained at home by the poor health of his wife, who died in 1874. Her maiden name was Sarah Kreger, and her father was Henry Kreger, of Schellsburg.
Frederick Mench came from Germany to Friend's cove in 1832. He died in this county in 1860. His children- Frederick, Godfrey, Maria, Catharine, John, Margaret, Jacob and Mary- all live in this county. John, a progressive farmer of West Providence, located upon his present farm in 1866, and has since built excellent buildings and made many other improvements.
John England, whose ancestors are mentioned in the history of Snake Spring township, is an old resident of this county. He has resided in West Providence since 1871. His wife is Martha Beam, daughter of Frederick Beam, an early settler of Friend's cove. They had one son in the late war- Jacob, now in Illinois; he served three years, and was eleven months in prison. Their son George resides with them, and is carrying on farming. He is also proprietor of a steam sawmill.
The tannery in the northern part of this township was erected in 1852-3, by Thomas and Jacob Ritchey, and is now run by James W. Ritchey.
Baptist.- The Baptists were once very strong in Providence township, but their organization expired years ago. They erected a log church, which is now the Union church, about the year 1823. Concerning early religious history, Mr. Asa Williams writes as follows:
"Among the preachers named in my hearing in early boyhood was Father Runyan, a Baptist clergyman, of the olden time, who resided in what is now Belfast township, Fulton county. There was also an associate named Moses Star, a man far advanced in life when I first knew him, nearly, or quite, sixty years ago."
Christian.- William Caldwell, who broke off from the Presbyterian church in Kentucky about the year 1800, came to this township soon after, married a Miss Hevner, and settled in Black valley. There he remained until about 1835, when he removed to Rush county, Indiana. He was the first to advocate the precepts of the Christian denomination in this section, and was the founder of several congregations. Meetings have been held at various places in this township from his time until the present.
Mount Union Christian church was built in 1873 at a cost of about two thousand dollars. It is 35x45 feet, well finished and well furnished. Owing to the formation of a Christian church at Grange Hall in East Providence township, the present membership of Mount Union is less than one hundred.
Clear Ridge Christian church was organized by William Caldwell about 1825. Caldwell was succeeded in the pastorate by Daniel Long, Edward Lewis, Benjamin Seever, John Ramsey, William G. Proctor, and, in 1851, by B.A. Cooper. Under the labors of the latter, assisted by A. Miller and others, the church was reorganized in 1856 with a membership of two hundred and fifty. It was subsequently divided into three organizations, now known as Clearville, Rockhill and Mount Union, each having a commodious house of worship. Rev. B.A. Cooper is the present pastor.
Mount Union has had the successive labors of Cooper, Barney, McDaniel, Logue and Sipes. Rockhill was under the pastoral care of B.A. Cooper from 1852 to 1874, and since that time, Elders Logue, McDaniel, Barney and Sipes.
Providence Christian church was organized by Elder Joseph Barney in 1874. It is weak in membership, and has an ordinary house of worship.
Methodist Episcopal.- The Methodists maintain quite a flourishing organization in the southern part of the township, and meet at Baughman's chapel, a building erected in 1854 through the efforts of George Baughman, one of the leading members of the church. The society is a part of Ray's Hill circuit. No records are obtainable. The class was organized in 1838.
German Baptist.- The Brethren have maintained a religious organization in this township for many years. The congregation is a part of the Snake Spring charge, and consists of about a dozen members. They erected a house of worship in the southern part of the township in 1876.
Among the early school teachers remembered by the early residents was a certain Master Jaques, a very fine penman, and Francis Wilkins. About 1818 Henry Whilt, who is still living in East Providence, taught a term in the second story of John Blackhart's house. Edward Kerr, of Bedford, taught in the same neighborhood, soon after, in a deserted cabin of rude structure. He was a fine penman and a good arithmetician, and continued his labors in subsequent years with good success. Asa Williams began teaching in 1833. He describes his schoolhouse thus: "It was a small log or pole cabin, about twelve feet square, with one small window, and a chimney constructed of small split sticks and clay. One day in spring, when the door of the schoolhouse was standing open, this rude chimney suddenly fell, and the school quite as suddenly left for the outside of the building without any formal dismissal from the teacher."
Providence township adopted the free school system about 1837, but it was some years later before schoolhouses could be built sufficient to accommodate all the scholars scattered over the wide extent of territory then embraced in the township.
This thriving and populous town is a recent outgrowth of the ancient village of Bloody Run. The natural query, What was the origin of the name Bloody Run? has never been answered satisfactorily. An incident narrated in a preceding chapter of the general history relative to the exploits of Smith's "Black Boys" has been quoted by several historians as being the occurrence which gave rise to the name in question. But it is difficult to see how an affair which took place at Sideling hill could have any influence in bestowing a name upon a locality so far distant. Nothing in the Pennsylvania Archives, or any other record that we have examined, throws any light upon the subject. Some have a tradition of an Indian massacre here, but it is unsupported by any authority. The most reasonable and, we believe, the correct solution of the question is found in a tradition, widely current among the descendants of the early settlers, that when Forbes' army passed over the old military road in 1768, a halt was made near the spring, and that several cattle were slaughtered here to supply the army with meat. Such an incident, while sufficient to give a name to the stream issuing from the spring, was too unimportant to be recorded.
No name is more conspicuous in the annals of Everett than that of Barndollar. Michael Barndollar lived in the vicinity of Philadelphia at the time of the revolutionary war, and afterward moved to Frederick county, Maryland. In 1787 he came to Bedford county and purchased a tract of land, including the site of Everett borough. He settled on the west side of Bloody Run and began keeping hotel. Finding it impossible to pay for his entire purchase, in 1800 he sold to Samuel Tate, of Shippensburg, all that portion of the tract lying west of Bloody Run, including his tavern-stand and improvements, and removed to the eastern side of the stream. In 1802 he erected the stone building- still standing and now a part of the Union Hotel- where he lived and kept store and tavern. He died in 1818, at the age of seventy-eight. His sons were Peter, Daniel, Jacob and Michael, all of whom lived and died in this county, except Michael, who died in Fulton county.
Peter Barndollar was a farmer, and lived a mile from Everett. He was in the war of 1812. He died in 1858, in his eighty-first year. His wife was Ann Martin, daughter of Judge Martin, an early settler of this county. Their children who reached mature years are still living: James M., Jacob, William, Catharine and Elizabeth. James M. is now the oldest native resident of the borough, and has been prominent in the affairs of the town for many years. He followed mercantile pursuits for eighteen years, and his son is one of the leading merchants at the present time.
Daniel Barndollar was a farmer, and died near Everett. Catharine, a daughter of Michael, Sr., married William Paxton, one of the first settlers of the town; a second daughter was Mrs. William Woods; and a third, Elizabeth, wife of John Coulter. Coulter and Woods moved to Ohio.
Jacob Barndollar, Sr., was identified with the affairs of the town throughout his long life. The land now included within the borough was mainly owned by him. He established the first store of any importance at Everett, and continued in business for many years. He was one of the earliest members of the Methodist church in this place, and contributed largely to its support. In 1859-60 he erected a church edifice for the congregation. He was a good business man, shrewd and honest, and acquired a large property by prudence and sagacity. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1837-8, and was otherwise interested in public affairs. Mr. Barndollar never married. He died in 1862, at the age of eighty-two.
Samuel Tate was possessed of considerable means, and paid in gold for the land which he purchased of Barndollar, doubtless driving a good bargain. He was a man of good business ability, and by various speculations added greatly to his property. He lived and died on his land, which remained intact until after his death. He died in 1849, aged eighty-five. Most of his estate was purchased by Jacob Barndollar.
After the death of these two landholders, their executors sold off the land. It was taken up quite rapidly, and instead of a few scattered houses, Bloody Run became a flourishing village. A steady and, of late years, a rapid growth in wealth and population has characterized the town. Capital, energy and enterprise each found an entrance, and prosperity necessarily followed.
Michael Barndollar, Sr., caused a small village to be laid out on his land on June 15, 1795, and sold a few lots during the same year. He called the place Waynesburg, but the settlement took the name of the stream on which it was situated, and was known as Bloody Run until finally it ceased to be called by any other name. The present name was not adopted until 1873.
Perhaps a dozen families lived in the village in the time of Michael Barndollar. Among the first residents were William Paxton and Robert Culbertson, sporting characters, who drove fast horses and were supposed to live by their wits; Philip Fishburn, a school teacher, who afterward moved to Bedford; William Long, Joseph Coulter, Charles Ashcom and Robert Shortwell. For years the town consisted of one tavern, one store, a blacksmith and wagon shop, a tailor's shop and a few log houses.
Culbertson, above mentioned, carried the mail from this point to Shippensburg at an early day, a distance of sixty miles, going and returning on foot. Jacob Barndollar was the first postmaster at Bloody Run.
Paxton and Culbertson once formed a partnership and decided to open a tavern. Accordingly they purchased a barrel of whisky, then, taking an inventory, discovered that their cash assets consisted of one "fi'penny bit." It was agreed that they should take turns at bartending. The "fi'penny bit," left in the hands of one of the partners, soon changed to the possession of the other to pay for a drink. They followed a change of places and the ex-barkeeper became the customer. In short, the whole barrel was sold and paid for and that single piece of money was the only cash used.
Charles Ashcom, Esq., was born in St. Mary's county, Maryland, and came to this county at an early age, settling at Bloody Run (now Everett), about the year 1806. Here he followed carpentry and cabinetmaking a number of years. He was appointed justice of the peace and attended to the duties of that office and worked at farming in later years of his life. Mr. Ashcom was one of the pioneer Methodists; he was the first leader of the Bloody Run class and held the office forty years. He also led the Bedford class and was an indefatigable worker for the church. He died in 1871, in the ninetieth year of his age. He was married to Mary A. Deal, and had nine children, two of whom are dead: Benjamin R., Amelia (Barndollar), George, Margaret (Buchanan), deceased, Susan (Everhart), Charles W., Catharine J., Dr. John P. (now of Renova, Pennsylvania) and Mary (Gibbony), deceased.
The oldest building in Everett is the house known as the "Tate mansion." A part of it is built of logs, and is doubtless the original structure erected by Michael Barndollar.
A man named Speaker, who worked both as a tailor and as a barber, was an early resident, and kept tavern in the ancient building known as Coulter's tavern. Thomas Bird succeeded him as tavernkeeper. The house was next occupied by Joseph and James Coulter. The former kept a store and the latter a tavern.
Michael Barndollar started the first tannery soon after he settled here. It was on the east side of Bloody Run, and south of the turnpike. Before his death he sold the tanyard to his son-in-law, Philip Kumpfer, who changed its location to the north side of the street. After conducting the business some years, Kumpfer sold out to Adam Ridingbaugh, and, on the decease of the latter, Jacob Barndollar, Sr., bought the establishment. Jacob Barndollar, son of Peter, managed the business for him six or seven years, and in 1840 purchased the tannery. He continued the business until 1875, when he disposed of the entire property to his son, M.D Barndollar, who had been associated with him under the firm name of Jacob Barndollar & son from 1867. Mr. Barndollar did a good business, for a country tanner, shipping considerable leather to Philadelphia and Baltimore. His tannery was run by water-power and in later years by horse-power.
In 1876 M.D. Barndollar erected his present tannery. The main building, not including the engine-house, is two stories high and 40x80 feet. The establishment is run by a twenty-horsepower steam-engine. There are fifty-six vats, and fifteen hundred cords of bark are used annually. Ten or twelve men are employed. Mr. Barndollar does a general custom business, besides being at present engaged in working under a contract for J.B. Hoyt & Co. He is now tanning about four thousand pounds of leather per week, which is about the average amount of work turned out through the year. Mr. Barndollar is a native of Everett and a veteran soldier of the late war. He served through three separate terms of enlistment, as will be seen by the military record elsewhere given.
One of the most important industries of Bedford county is the Tecumseh tannery, situated at Everett and owned by J.B. Hoyt & Co. There are about one hundred men employed, on an average, throughout the year, and the monthly payments to employes amount to about twenty-five hundred dollars. Ten thousand cords of bark, costing seven dollars and fifty cents per cord, are used annually.
Tecumseh tannery was built by Jason Hanks, in 1866, and operated by him until 1872, when it was purchased by the present owners. Mr. Hanks conducted the business on a small scale, never employing more than thirty men. The capacity of the works has been much enlarged by Messrs. Hoyt & Co., new buildings erected and every part of the establishment renovated. In 1872 there were ninety-two vats; now there are three hundred and twenty-five. The main building is 43x140 feet and two stories high, with a lean-to connected, 22x140 feet. The yard is 42x520 feet, and there is a side-yard 40x100 feet. There are two dryhouses, 28x144 and 28x64 feet respectively. The bark-sheds are four in number, and have a storage capacity of ten thousand cords of bark.
The products of this tannery are oak sole and belting leather. The bellies are cut from the hides and tanned, at Barndollar's tannery in Everett and at Ray's Hill tannery. Since 1872 the proprietors have tanned and shipped to market from Tecumseh tannery about thirteen million pounds of leather, worth about three million seven hundred and fifty-two thousand three hundred and fifty-two dollars. In 1882 there were one million eight hundred thousand pounds tanned at this establishment, and the present year will show a large increase.
Messrs. Hoyt & Co. are the proprietors of several tanneries, two of them- Tecumseh and Ray's Hill- being in this county. O.L. Lockwood is manager of both these establishments. J.L. Bloomer is clerk at Tecumseh, and A.P. Redinger is foreman of the yard.
At Ray's Hill the tannery has been owned by Hoyt & Co. for about thirteen years. Fifteen men are employed, and about two thousand cords of bark used annually. A.W. Lockwood is clerk, and Isaac Thomas is foreman.
The foundry was started about 1854 by Josiah and Jeremiah Baughman. An engine built by Josiah is still used in the establishment. J.A. Gump subsequently held an interest in the business. In 1864 Baughman & Co. sold out to Frederick Felten. The original building, which was of wood, was destroyed by fire, and in 1874 Mr. Felten erected the present structure, at a cost of three thousand five hundred dollars. It is of brick, 66x70 feet in its dimensions. Mr. Felten is a native of East Providence township, and has resided in Everett since 1864.
The Bedford County Bank was founded February 1, 1870, and has ever since stood firm and prosperous. Its paid-up capital is twenty-five thousand dollars. The institution conducts a regular banking business in all branches. It is controlled by a board of directors composed of the following well-known business men of Bedford county: S.L. Russell, Bedford; E.J. Miller, S. Nycum, Ray's Hill; J.M. Barndohlar, M.V.C. Hopewell, J.B. Williams, J.H. Barndollar, Josiah Harris and John Du Bois, Everett. Mr. DuBois, the cashier, has served in his present capacity since the bank was established.
The finest building in the town is the Harris block, erected in 1868 by Josiah Harris, present owner. The building is three stories high, the first floor affording rooms for two stores and the bank. The second floor is designed for offices, and the third for a hall and residence.
Bloody Run borough was incorporated in 1860. The name was changed to Everett in 1873. The population in 1860 was estimated at three hundred and fifty. The first election was held at the schoolhouse on the 15th of March, 1861. Fifty-eight votes were polled. James F. Deyarman and Philip G. Morgart were appointed judges of election, and borough officers were chosen as follows: Josiah Baughman, chief burgess; William States, assistant burgess; James M. Barndollar, William Masters, P.G. Morgart, Samuel G. Schooley and David Broad, council; and John A. Gump, high constable. M.M. Peebles and Samuel Bender were the first justices of the peace elected.
The building of the railroad and the starting of Tecumseh tannery were the first important events in the industrial history of the town. The railroad was built in 1862-3. In 1870 the town had a population of five hundred and fifty. The next decade witnessed a rapid growth, and according to the census of 1880 the population of the borough at that date was twelve hundred and fifty-seven. In 1883 the number of polls is about three hundred and twenty-five.
Among the industries which have sprung into being since 1870 are the planing-mill of J.M. Bender, and the large three-story gristmill of Mason Howard.
The town contains four hotels, six general stores, two drug stores, two hardware stores, and a large number of minor mercantile establishments.
The project of building a blast furnace at Everett was first agitated several years ago. The panic put a stop to active operations, but the citizens, with characteristic enterprise, kept up their interest in the matter, and now the work is fast nearing a successful completion. J.B. Williams, who has been interested in this venture from the first, has wisely managed its affairs, and to him, more than anyone else, credit should he given for the establishment of this important industry. The furnace is owned and controlled by the Everett Iron Company, in which many of the business men of Everett are interested together with several New York capitalists. During the winter of 1882-3 the building of a branch railroad from Mount Dallas to the ore mines in Black valley was begun. The furnace is being erected on the south side of the river, a short distance from the town. Its completion will mark an important epoch in the industrial history of Everett.
The foregoing sketch of the growth and development of the town may be appropriately concluded by a brief personal mention of some of the old residents and prominent business men of today.
William Masters came from Washington county, Maryland, in 1845. He worked for some years at the saddlery business. His son, F.M. Masters, a native of Everett, is a leading druggist of this place, and has the oldest establishment of the kind in the town, having engaged in the business in 1867.
Thomas Richey is the oldest merchant of Everett. He started a store in this place in 1839, and is still engaged in trade. Mr. Richey is a descendant of one of the early settlers of the county.
The largest mercantile establishment in Bedford county is that of J.B. Williams & Co., of Everett. Mr. J.B. Williams, the senior member of the firm, came to this place in 1853, and engaged in clerking in Jacob Barndollar's store. In 1857 he was given entire charge of the business, and in 1859 he purchased the establishment from Mr. Barndollar. In 1864 S.D. Williams was admitted to a partnership in the business, which was carried on under the firm name, J.B. Williams & Bro. The place of business was also changed from the old store to the building now occupied. In 1866, S.D. Williams withdrew, and business was conducted by J.B. Williams and J.B. Williams & Co. until 1871, when J.J. Hetzel became one of the firm, and the style was changed to Williams, Hetzel & Co. In 1875 S.D. Williams renewed his partnership, and the firm became J.B. & S.D. Williams. This arrangement continued until 1881, when the style of the firm was again changed, but without any change in proprietors. Fifteen or sixteen men are constantly employed in the business. The Messrs. Williams are natives of Bedford county, and sons of Samuel Williams, now of Rainsburg. They are among the foremost business men of the county.
J.H. Thompson, a native of Allegheny county, came to Everett in 1849. He has followed his trade of bridge-building in various parts of the county for several years. Mr. Thompson was a soldier in the 55th Penn. regt., and served from November, 1861, to February, 1865. He was captured by the rebels in 1864, and held a prisoner for six months, passing most of that time in Andersonville prison.
Bartley Sams, a native of this county, is the oldest blacksmith in Everett, having followed his trade here over fifty years. He came to Everett in 1842. He has three sons, David M., W. Scott and Martin L. D.M. and W.S. follow their father's trade. The former taught school several years, but has been employed by the tannery company as blacksmith, since 1875. W.S. Sams follows general blacksmithing, and deals in wagons.
J.D. Lucas is an old resident. He came from Baltimore, Maryland, when a young man, and followed shoemaking, storekeeping, etc., several years. He was married in this place to Elizabeth Wilson, and is the father of six children, five living. William F. enlisted in Co. D, 138th Penn. regt., for three years; he contracted disease in the service, from which he died. Joshua T. enlisted three times, and was in the nine-months, one-hundred-days, and one-year service. The other children are Mary, F.S., Jas. H. and Jacob E. F.S. Lucas began mercantile business, at the age of eleven years, as a clerk for J.M. Barndollar, and has ever since been employed in a store. In 1882 he became one of the firm of Barndollar & Lucas, dealers in boots, shoes and gents' furnishing goods. His partner is J.C. Barndollar.
J.A. Gump, Esq., was born in Rainsburg, this county. In 1851, while the place was yet in its infancy, he came to the present town of Everett. After working at butchering a year he engaged in hotelkeeping, which he followed twelve years. He then purchased an interest in the foundry of Baughman & Co., with whom he carried on the hardware business. Mr. Gump sold his interest in the foundry, but has continued the hardware business since 1861. His sons, H.F. and S.A., are now associated with him, and the firm is J.A. Gump & Sons. They do a very large business.
S.P. Lewis came to this county from Shippensburg, Cumberland county. After residing two years at Ray's Hill he came to Everett, in 1859, and has since worked at shoemaking principally. Mr. Lewis was a member of Co. C, 133d Penn. regt., in the late war.
J.J. Barndollar, one of the prominent merchants of Everett, has been engaged in mercantile pursuits most of the time since 1862. He occupies the brick store in which his father, J.M. Barndollar, formerly carried on business. J.J. Barndollar was one of the firm of Barndollar & Baughman, who brought the first portable steam sawmill to Bedford county in 1868. He bought the interest of his partner and has been engaged in the lumber business ever since. His lumber yard is located at Everett.
William H. Whisel, postmaster at Everett, is a native of Union township, Bedford county, and came to this place in 1861. He served in the army during the rebellion and was a gallant soldier. He was held a prisoner by the enemy for six weeks. At the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1863, he lost his left arm. Mr. Whisel was appointed postmaster in 1869. His salary, then three hundred and thirty dollars, is now eight hundred dollars, representing a much larger increase in business than is indicated by the difference in figures.
J. Du Bois, cashier of the Bedford County Bank, is a native of Salem county, New Jersey. He came to Everett in 1864, and was employed as bookkeeper for J.B. Williams & Co. He has been cashier of the bank since its establishment in 1870. Mr. Du Bois is also engaged in the drug business. The drug store of J. Du Bois & Son was started in 1881.
A.J. Nycum, a prominent merchant, is a native of Ray's Hill. He was one of the "forty-niners" in California, where he spent ten years. Previous to that time he studied medicine in Massillon, Ohio, and in 1848 graduated a doctor of medicine from the Western Reserve College. Returning home in 1859, he engaged in mercantile business with his father at Ray's Hill, where he remained until 1868. He then came to Everett, where he now conducts a prosperous business.
C.C. Snell has been engaged in the hotel business most of the time since 1865, and has a first-class reputation as a landlord. He was born at Ray's Hill, in this county. His father, Jacob Snell, came to that place from Eastern Pennsylvania, about 1830, and followed hotel-keeping until his death, in 1842.
William Emme, merchant tailor, was born in Germany, but came to this country when young and lived in Baltimore, where he learned his trade. Thence he moved to Philadelphia, and in 1858 entered the United States regular army in which he served until 1863. Re-enlisting as a volunteer, February 11, 1864, in Hancock's 1st Vet. Vols., he served until the close of the war. Mr. Emme has been in business in Everett since 1869.
Capt. N.C. Evans was born in Southampton township, in this county. He followed the mercantile business in Rainsburg from 1857 to 1861, then became a member of Co. D, 101st Penn. regt., in which he served until May, 1863. Returning home he raised a company (Co. G., independent battalion) for the emergency service and was appointed captain. Again entering the service, he was chosen captain of Co. A, 184th Penn. Vols., which was mustered in March, 1864, and mustered out in July, 1865. Capt. Evans was taken prisoner in front of Petersburg and held by the enemy eight months and eight days. He has been a resident of Everett since 1812, and is now a justice of the peace.
O.L. Lockwood is a native of Delaware county, New York. He came to Bedford county in 1870, in the capacity of manager of the business of J.B. Hoyt & Co., a position which he has since filled most worthily.
Henry F. Sheeder, cigar manufacturer, is a native of Huntingdon county, and was a soldier in the rebellion. In 1871 he came to Everett and engaged in his present business. Since that time twenty-six cigar manufactories have been started in the town, but Mr. Sheeder's establishment is the only one which survives. He is now manufacturing four hundred thousand cigars per year, and during the year 1883 expects to make about six hundred thousand. The cigars are mainly marketed in this county and adjacent territory.
M. Luther Myers is a native of Blair county. He learned his trade (carriage and wagon making) in Woodberry, and has followed it twenty years. Mr. Myers has resided in Everett since 1873. His brother, M.F. Myers, is associated with him in business, the style of the firm being Myers Brothers. They run two shops and turn out a large amount of work.
Ferdinand Snider, a popular hotelkeeper, has been engaged in his present business since 1873. Mr. Snider was a volunteer soldier in the late war. He has been a resident of Everett for twenty years.
A.M. McClure came from Virginia and engaged in business as a hardware dealer in 1878. In 1880, George Henry, of Everett, was admitted to partnership. The firm are conducting a good business. The building they occupy was built by J.J. Barndollar, but is now a part of the estate of the late Dr. Henry.
Capt. R.W. Cook is a native of this county. He moved to Bedford in 1860, and there learned the blacksmith's trade, which he still follows. He has been in Everett since 1878, and is doing a large business in wagonmaking and blacksmithing, employing four hands. Capt. Cook has a military record of which any man might well be proud. Entering the service as a private in Co. E, 138th regt. Penn. Vols., in 1862, he was promoted to orderly sergeant, first lieutenant and captain. He was placed on the staff of Gen. J. Warren Keifer as personal aid-de-camp, and served until the close of the war. He was in many severe engagements and proved a most gallant soldier. He received two brevet commissions (first lieutenant and captain) for gallant and meritorious conduct.
George E. Staily, dealer in millinery and fancy goods, began his present business in 1882. Mr. Staily is a native of Franklin county, and came to this county in 1856. He has followed teaching and mercantile business and was in the army. Mr. Staily taught in the public schools of Everett in 1881-2.
C.A. Black & Co. started a store in 1881. They deal in boots and shoes, gents' furnishing goods, etc., and are fast building up a large trade. Mr. Black is a native of Everett, and has followed mercantile business for some years.
Methodist Episcopal Church.- This organization was formed, in 1809, under the ministerial labors of Rev. John Gilwatt, who was the first circuit preacher on the Bedford circuit. The original society was composed of eight members, viz.: Charles Ashcom, class-leader, and family; Mrs. Fishburn and family; Mrs. Anna Barndollar and family. Bishop Asbury, who visited Bedford circuit in 1810, writes as follows, concerning this class: "In passing through Bloody Run, I preached at Barndollar's. The Lord has seven in this family who fear and worship Him."
The church was served by the ministers traveling Bedford circuit until 1844, when East Bedford circuit was formed. Rev. J. Gamble preached on the latter circuit for two years, and was succeeded by James Stevens, 1846; Jacob Gruber, 1847; H. Hoffman, 1848; C. Graham, 1849; W.A. McKee, 1850; A. Bland, 1851; W.H. Bellman, 1852; D. Shoaf, 1853-4, during whose administration the parsonage at Bloody Run was built; G.W. Bonse, J.W. Curry, 1855; G.W. Bonse, W.H. Stevens, 1856; J.A. Coleman, W.H. Stevens, 1857; J.A. Coleman, G.T. Gray, 1858; R.W. Black, J.W. Buckley, 1859; C. Cleaver, H. Linn, 1860; C. Cleaver, J.G. Moore, 1861; J.C. Clarke, -- Greenley, 1862; J.C. Clarke, J.A. McKindless, 1863; J.B. Polsgrove, W.R. Whitney, 1864. In 1865 the name of the charge was changed to Bloody Run, and Polsgrove and Rev. Crowel returned as supplies; W.G. Ferguson, T.T.S. Richards, 1866; W.G. Ferguson, W. Case, 1867. (The church had so prospered that the last quarterly conference of the year asked for a division, and Ray's Hill circuit was formed.) G.W. Van Fossen, 1868-70; A.M. Barnitz, 1871-3; J. Donahue, 1874-6; James Curns, 1877-9; W.G. Ferguson, 1880-2.
The congregation at Tatesville is a part of Everett charge, and both number three hundred and fifty members. The church has no debts and its property is valued at ten thousand dollars. Rev. W.G. Ferguson is the only pastor who has served the charge two terms. He preached his farewell sermon March 4, 1883.
The first church edifice in the town was erected by the Methodists in 1810 or 1812. It stood nearly opposite the present Presbyterian church. The next was built in 1839, and is now occupied by the Reformed congregation. The present Methodist Episcopal church was built in 1859-60, and presented to the congregation by Jacob Barndollar, Sr. The society is now contemplating the erection of a new and handsome church.
Lutheran Church.- The Evangelical Lutheran church of Everett was organized September 25, 1842. The male members of the congregation at this time were Henry and Joseph S. Messersmith, Solomon and Philip Holler, Samuel Stoutnour, George Herring, Michael Smouse, and Peter and Daniel Weaverling. It was decided to build a church in conjunction with the Presbyterians, and the following were chosen a building committee: Henry Messersmith, Solomon Holler, Matthew Peebles, Jacob Ebert and George Richey, of whom only Messersmith and Holler were Lutherans.
The corner-stone of the stone church was laid on August 6, 1842. This congregation was then under the pastoral care of Rev. R. Weiser, now of Colorado. The first officers of the church were S. Holler and H. Messersmith, elders, and G. Herring and D. Stoutnour, deacons.
Rev. A. Height, who assisted Rev. Weiser in his labors, was licensed by the Allegheny synod, June 3, 1843, and thenceforth had charge of this congregation and of the others belonging to the charge. The new church was dedicated October 29, 1843, Rev. R. Weiser preaching the sermon on that occasion. March 30, 1845, Rev. Height preached his farewell sermon. The succeeding pastors have been as follows: Revs. J. Fishburn, 1846; F.A. Barnitz, 1849; Wm. B. Bachtell, 1852; G.C. Probst, 1857; Philip Doerr, 1868; M. Graybill, 1870; John Brubaker, 1875; Wm. S. Freas, 1877. The present pastor, Rev. G.M. Rhodes, took charge February 22, 1880. Under the care of Rev. G.C. Probst the church was highly prosperous. His labors continued for ten years. During that time the present house of worship, a large and convenient edifice, two stories high and built of brick, was erected.
Everett congregation numbers one hundred and ten members, and the sabbath school has a membership of one hundred. Ray's Hill, Cedar Grove and Ray's Cove congregations belong to this charge.
Reformed Church.- Trinity Reformed church of Everett was organized in 1843, during the ministry of Rev. Matthew Irvin. Among the original members were Elizabeth Ebbert, Jacob S. Ritchey, Lewis Koons, and others whose names cannot be learned, there being no church record. The pastors from 1843-83, inclusive, have been: Revs. Matthew Irvin, Henry Heckerman, William M. Deatrick, Milton H. Saugree, Daniel H. Leader and William I. Stewart. The congregation worshiped in the stone church (now the Presbyterian) from the time of its organization until 1867, when it purchased the Methodist Episcopal church, which it remodeled and is still using. Arrangements are almost completed for building a new church on Spring street. The congregation now numbers seventy members, and the sabbath school one hundred.
Presbyterian Church.- There were a few Presbyterian families among the early settlers of this locality. For many years the Presbyterians were supplied with occasional preaching, generally by the pastors of the Bedford church. In 1866 Rev. A.V.C. Schenck began preaching regularly in Everett. On May 5, 1874, a congregation was regularly organized by Rev. R.F. Wilson and Rev. J.F. Boal, a committee of the Huntingdon presbytery. S.P. Wishart and W.W. Sparks were elected elders; J.M. Barndollar and L.M. Piper, deacons. The congregation at present consists of eighteen members. The pastors have been Revs. Robert F. Wilson, 1874-8; John R. Henderson, 1878-81; Herbert D. Cone, 1881-3. The stone church, erected by the Lutherans and Presbyterians in 1842-3, is now occupied by the Presbyterians. It was renovated and much improved in 1883, and has cost, up to date, one thousand dollars.
The Everett Cemetery Association was granted a charter August 27, 1873, in response to a petition signed by twenty-one citizens of the borough. The association organized with John A. Gump, Prest.; J.M. Barndollar and Frederick Felton, Vice-Prests.; J.W. Hughes, Secy. and J. Du Bois, Treas.
Twelve acres of ground were purchased in 1874. Two acres have since been added, and considerable money has been expended in fitting up and beautifying the grounds. The site of the cemetery is a most beautiful one.
The stock of the association now consists of two hundred and eighty shares of five dollars each, held by forty-nine stockholders.
Odd-Fellows.- Everett has one of the most flourishing of Odd-Fellows' lodges in this part of the state. Bloody Run Lodge (now Everett Lodge), No. 600, I.O.O.F., was instituted May 13, 1867, by D.D.G.M. C.N. Hickok, with twenty charter members: Samuel Jaffa, N.G.; William Masters, V.G.; John C. Hawman, Secy.; Henry F. Gibson, Asst. Secy.; Adam S. Ritchey, Treas.; Henry N. Jaffa, J. Du Bois, J.T. Lucas, A.J. Kegg, E.J. Gump, S.P. Lewis, E.S. Bussard, Jere Baughman, W.B. Kennard, Simeon Nycum, William Martin, J. Ramsey, John L. Grove, James H. Stoutnour, S.W. Williams. Since the institution of the lodge two hundred and twenty-seven members have been admitted. The membership, September 25, 1882, was one hundred and fifty. The net assets of the lodge are over seven thousand dollars. Large amounts have been paid in benefits.
Olivia Encampment, No. 206, I.O.O.F., was instituted March 31, 1871, by D.D.G.P. J.R. Dubarrow. Charter members: M.D. Barndollar, C.P.; Jeremiah Baughman, S.W.; A.J. Gienger, J.W.; Seth Dunn; D.S. Elliott, H.P.; Christopher Snell; J. Du Bois, Scribe; William Masters, Treas. The encampment is now prosperous, having fifty members. At one time the membership was over one hundred, but removals and other causes diminished it.
Masonic.- Everett Lodge, No. 524, was chartered September 3, 1873. The charter members were: M.D. Barndollar, John W. Barndollar, Barton A. Cooper, D. Stewart Elliott, James W. Hughes, H. Howard Hill, Oliver L. Lockwood, Joseph C. Long, Benjamin M. Lodge, William Masters, Andrew J. Nycum, John W. Smith, Jr., James T. Sheeder, Simon States, Samuel D. Williams, Jacob R. Williams, all from Bedford Lodge, No. 320, except Mr. Lockwood, from Kingston Lodge, No. 10, New York. The lodge was instituted October 22, 1873. The first officers were: J.W. Hughes, W.M.; M.D. Barndollar, S.W.; and B.A. Cooper, J.W. The lodge is in a flourishing condition, with a membership of about fifty.
Grand Army.- Lieut. Josiah Baughman Post, No. 131, G.A.R., was organized May 22, 1879, with twenty-two charter members. The post was named in honor of Lieut. Josiah Baughman, of Everett, who was killed while attempting to arrest a deserter from the army. The first officers were: D. Stewart Elliott, P.C.; A.P. Redinger, S.V.C.; D.M. Cooper, J.V.C.; Michael Ott, Q.M.; N.C. Evans, Chap.; George E. Staily, O. of D.; Jas. H. Stoutenour; O. of G.; M.D. Barndollar, A.; Joseph C. Long, Q.M.S.; R.W. Cook, S.M. This is the pioneer post of the county. It is in good working condition, and has a membership of forty-five.
JAMES M. BARNDOLLAR.
The name of Barndollar is a prominent one in the annals of Bedford county, so much so that its history, especially that portion devoted to East Providence and Everett, would be radically incomplete without a more extended notice than is there given. The American progenitor of the family was Michael Barndollar, who came from Germany some time previous to the revolutionary war and settled in Philadelphia. After a residence there of some years, he removed to Maryland, where he lived until 1787, when he emigrated with his family to Everett, then known as Bloody Run, where he purchased a large tract of land, on a portion of which the borough of Everett is now located. He was a thrifty, energetic man, and he left his impress on the village of which he was the founder. His wife, whom he probably married in the mother country, bore him a family of nine children- four sons and five daughters.
Peter, the oldest, was born in Philadelphia in 1778, and was the father of the gentleman whose name is at the head of this biography. He married Anna, daughter of James Martin. She was born at Juniata crossing, Pennsylvania, November 14, 1776, and became the mother of eight children, five of whom are living: James M., Jacob B., Catherine, Elizabeth, wife of Benjamin R. Ashcomb, and William. Peter Barndollar was a farmer, and died in Everett in 1858, his wife the following year, in the eighty-second year of her age. James M. Barndollar was born in what is now the township of West Providence, August 18, 1806. His boyhood was spent upon his father's farm, receiving such school advantages as were afforded in that early day. At the age of eighteen he entered the employ of his uncle Jacob, who was engaged in general merchandising in Everett; with him he remained until he disposed of store to D. & J. Mann. With this firm Mr. Barndollar remained one year, when he established himself in business at Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland county. This venture was not a profitable one, and he returned to Everett, again entering the employ of his uncle. In 1840 he purchased his uncle's interest, obligating himself to an amount that would have disheartened most young men, but his business foresight and industry enabled him to overcome all obstacles, and at the end of eighteen years, at which time he quit merchandising, he had accumulated a well-earned competency.
Mr. Barndollar was married in 1832, to Miss Eliza Piper Smith. She was born in Millerstown, Pennsylvania, in 1808, and died in 1877. By this union there were born six children, four of whom are living: Jacob J., of Everett; Eliza, now Mrs. James Curry, of Altoona, Pennsylvania; William P., of Baltimore, and Mary C., wife of Capt. Samuel Tate.
In 1880 Mr. Barndollar was again married, to Miss Catherine, daughter of John B. Alexander, Esq., of Fulton county. The life of Mr. Barndollar has been comparatively uneventful, and marked only by such incidents as occur in the lives of most business men. His life has been devoted to his business, and the cares of his family, and the building up of that priceless legacy, an honorable reputation.
The subject of this sketch is of Swedish extraction. His great-grandfather, with two brothers, came to this country upon the solicitation of William Penn, whom they had met in London. Penn offered them the privilege of settling on any part of his domain they might desire. They took passage on the same vessel that brought him over on one of his voyages. John, the founder of Harrisburg, was the only one to accept Penn's proposition. The other two brothers, having learned that there were Swedish settlements in New Jersey, preferred, on this account, to settle there. One of them settled in East Jersey, while Abram, the great-grandfather of Josiah Harris, settled near the line of Salem and Cumberland counties, in West Jersey, and the lands which he occupied are now in the possession of his posterity. He was married after he came to this country and became the father of nine sons, the youngest of whom, Nicholas, the grandfather of the immediate subject of this biography, was a soldier in the war of the revolution. He served with distinction and participated in many of the battles of that sanguinary struggle. After the war he married a Miss Shepard, who was born in Salem county, New Jersey, and the result of this union were eight sons and one daughter: Hannah, Shepard, Bilby, Abram, Permenas, Nicholas, Aaron, Job and Charlton. Permenas, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born near the village of Elsonborough, Salem county, New Jersey, in 1796, and died in 1850. In 1818 he was married to Miss Rebecca, daughter of David Ayers. She was born in Elsonborough, Salem county. She was of Scotch parentage, and shortly after their marriage her parents went west, since which time nothing is known of them. To Permenas Harris and his wife, Rebecca, were born three children- Josiah, Thomas and David. Josiah was born in the town of Salem, Salem county, New Jersey, June 6, 1819. When scarcely four years of age his mother died, and his father, being in limited circumstances, broke up his home and found places for his children, he going to sea. Josiah was bound out to a gentleman by the name of Benjamin Ireland until he should attain the age of twenty-one years, but in his thirteenth year his benefactor died and he was made an orphan for the second time. His father being at sea, he became a town charge, and he was bound, by the directors of the poor, to a man by the name of Richard Moore until he was seventeen. Moore was a hardhearted, tyrannical master, and the five years Josiah passed in his service were replete with hardships. At the expiration of that time his father abandoned the sea and settled in Philadelphia, and at the request of his brother Job, who was a cooper in New Orleans, Josiah was sent there to acquire that trade. With his uncle young Josiah had a good home and fatherly care, and with him he remained three years, when he was attacked with that dreadful disease yellow fever. When he had sufficiently recovered to travel he went north, by the advice of his uncle, to recuperate, intending to return as soon as he had regained his health, and go in business with his uncle, but the associations of home and boyhood proved too strong, and he decided to remain. He engaged in farming until 1844, at which time he was married to Miss Mary, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Fox) Finley. Seven children have been born to them: William F. (deceased); Rebecca (deceased), the first wife of Gen. D. Stewart Elliott; Aaron (deceased), Louisa (deceased); Charlton, residing at home; Mary Blanche, wife of James Harbaugh, of Everett, and James Henry, at home.
Two years subsequent to his marriage he engaged in the livery business, which he conducted successfully until 1854, when he closed out his business to engage in the manufacture of "West India cooperage" in Pennsylvania. In 1863 he removed his family to Everett, where they have since resided. In 1861 Mr. Harris associated with himself Mr. J.B. Williams, who proved to be not only a congenial but a profitable partner. This partnership continued for twelve years, when it was dissolved by mutual consent, Mr. Harris continuing the business in Virginia. He is said to be one of the largest manufacturers in his line in the United States. It is unnecessary to speak of Mr. Harris' standing as a business man and a citizen, for he is known by almost every business man in the county. He is a wide-awake, public-spirited gentleman, always active in promoting the best interests of the community in which he resides.
HON. JAMES W. HUGHES.
James W. Hughes was born in Juniata county, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1835. He received his education in the common schools and the Cassville Seminary in Huntingdon county. It was in this institution that he began his career as an instructor. After the completion of his course he became the principal, and conducted the school successfully for two years. At the expiration of that time he removed to Martinsburg, to take charge of the schools of that place. Dissolving his connection with the schools of Martinsburg, he went to Rainsburg, where for eight years he labored assiduously in the Rainsburg Academy. Under his management, the academy flourished and became one of the prominent educational institutions of that section. In 1871 he came to Everett as superintendent of schools, which position he filled acceptably for four years, at the expiration of which time he was elected to the responsible office of county superintendent. To the schools of Bedford county he gave six years of intelligent, well-directed labor, and under his supervision a marked advancement was made; and to Prof. Hughes, perhaps more than any other one individual, the people of the county are indebted for the prosperous condition of their school system. After the expiration of his term as county superintendent he resumed his position in the schools of Everett. In 1882 he was elected to the representative branch of the legislature, serving on the committees of vice and immorality, education, local judiciary, retrenchment and reform.
In 1860 Mr. Hughes was married to Miss Sarah A., daughter of Jacob Creswell, of Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania. Seven children have been born to them, two of whom, William and Josephine, are living.
In his political and religious affiliations, he is a democrat and a Methodist.
JOHN DU BOIS.
John Du Bois, a prominent business man of Everett, was born at Sharptown, Salem county, New Jersey, March 8, 1838. His parents were Matthew N. and Rachel Du Bois. The family consisted of three children: John, Thomas and Anna. The father followed carriage painting and trimming at Sharptown. Soon after the subject of this notice was born, the family moved to Penn's grove, Salem county, New Jersey, where Mr. Du Bois was engaged in business, principally house, sign and carriage painting, until about 1847. He then engaged in the mercantile business. Meanwhile his children received a good common school education under the instruction of their uncle, who was principal of the schools in the town where they resided.
In 1862 the elder Mr. Du Bois removed to Cape May, and John sought business for himself. Entering the employ of E.B. Humphreys, at Sharptown, he remained one year. He next taught school part of a year near Sharptown, then went to Poughkeepsie, New York, where he pursued a course of study at Eastman's Business College. Thence he came to Everett, Pennsylvania, and for four years acted as bookkeeper for the firm of J.B. Williams & Co. He then became a partner in the firm and continued for two years. At the organization of the Bedford County Bank, in February, 1870, Mr. Du Bois accepted the position of cashier, which he has held up to the present time.
After being a resident of Everett for two years, Mr. Du Bois made a visit to his native place and returned to Bedford county accompanied by a bride, nee Miss Bee, daughter of John Bee, of Sharptown. Finding this estimable lady possessed of good business qualifications, Mr. Du Bois placed her in charge of a millinery and notion store with seven hundred dollars capital. Seven years later, her careful management had so increased the stock that its value was four thousand dollars, clear of indebtedness. Mrs. Du Bois then sold out the store and placed the proceeds in her husband's hands. He at once invested in the drug business, placing Dr. P.H. Pensyl, a competent physician and druggist, in charge of the store. About January 1, 1881, Dr. Jenkins, a prominent physician of Boston, gave Mr. Du Bois a prescription for the cure of catarrh, which had been tested and approved by high medical authorities. Mr. Du Bois began compounding the medicine and sending samples to the trade. His success was so great that three thousand bottles were sold in Pennsylvania alone during the first year. This result so pleased Dr. Jenkins that he soon placed other remedies in the hands of Mr. Du Bois, and volunteered both capital and aid to extend the manufacture and sale of the medicines.
GEN. D. STEWART ELLIOTT.
David Stewart Elliott was born near the Chalybeate Springs, in Bedford township, on the 23d day of December, 1843. His early educational opportunities were exceedingly limited, being confined to a short attendance in the common schools; but a love of learning led to valiant and earnest efforts to overcome this deficiency by self-culture. At the age of thirteen the subject of this biography entered a store in Bedford as errand boy; but in less than a year his employer closed his business and young Elliott returned to farming, his former occupation. In September, 1858, he entered the office of the Bedford Gazette to learn the printer's trade. Here he remained until April, 1861, when he enlisted for a term of three months in Capt. John H. Filler's company (G) of the 13th regt. Penn. Vols. At the expiration of his term of enlistment he re-enlisted for three years in Co. E, 76th regt. Penn. Vols., in which he served until near the close of the war.
After his discharge from the service, Mr. Elliott accepted a position as compositor on the Bedford Inquirer, and during evenings and spare time applied himself closely to general reading and the study of the law. In September, 1868, he became part owner of the Bedford County Press, removed to Everett and assumed editorial charge of the paper. February 9, 1869, he was admitted to the bar of Bedford county. He continued as editor of the Press until 1873, when he resigned this position and devoted his time wholly to law business, soon establishing a large practice. On the 1st of January, 1881, at the urgent request of the owners of the paper, he became the editor and chief manager of the Everett Press, which then changed its name from the Bedford County Press to the Everett Press. The paper under his able management has proved prosperous and popular, and has had an important influence in advancing the interests of the thriving town of Everett.
Mr. Elliott began to take an active part in politics in 1868, and since that time has been prominent in the counsels of the republican party in Bedford county. Besides performing effective service as a stump speaker, he has acted as chairman of the republican county committee, and has been selected several times as a delegate to state conventions. In 1880 he was alternate delegate-at-large to the national convention at Chicago. In 1874, and again in 1878, he was the almost unanimous choice of the republicans of Bedford county for state senator, but failed to receive the vote of the district conference, owing to local questions.
Gen. Elliott has been prominently identified with military affairs. He was commissioned captain of Russell Zouaves, 16th division Penn. Militia, February 16, 1870; commissioned major-general 16th division, National Guard of Pennsylvania, January 16, 1873; commissioned lieutenant-colonel and division inspector, staff of Maj. Gen. James A. Beaver, September 9, 1875.
Gen. Elliott has been prominently identified with various secret organizations, having been the commander of the first Grand Army Post established in Bedford county, besides holding almost every grade of office among the Odd-Fellows, in which order he is at present the grand marshal of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. He is also a Knight Templar Mason. He takes a deep interest in local affairs, particularly in schools, and is constantly called upon to accept positions of trust and responsibility. As a public speaker, editor and lawyer he has won a well-deserved and honorable reputation, while, as a citizen, his influence is felt in every work that tends to advance the best interests of the community.
Gen. Elliott was married February 2, 1870, to Miss Rebecca A. Harris, eldest daughter of Josiah Harris, Esq., of Everett. She died in April, 1871.
On the 28d day of December, 1874, he was again joined in marriage, the bride being Miss Clara J. Barndollar, daughter of Jacob Barndollar, Esq., of Everett. Four children have been born of this union: John Barndollar Elliott, Leila Cushwa Elliott, Clara Irene Elliott and James Russell Elliott.
PETER M. BARTON.
Among the early settlers of what is now Fulton county was Elijah Barton, grandfather of the gentleman whose name is at the head of this article. He was a native of New Jersey, from which state he came to Fulton county, where he purchased a large tract of land, on which he settled, and on which some of his descendants now reside. He was the father of six children, all of whom are deceased. George Barton, father of Peter M. Barton, was born in Fulton county, and died about 1826. He married Catherine Morgart. She was born in Bedford county. By this union there were eleven children, as follows: John, Morgan, David, Mary Ann, Peter M., Eliza, Philip, Balsar E., George, and two who died in infancy. Four of these children are living: Mary Ann, widow of Timothy Acres, Peter M., Philip and Balsar E. Peter M. was born March 10, 1816, in Fulton county. He remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age, at which time he was married to Miss Pennina A. Winters. She was also born in Fulton county, March 3, 1820. She died in August, 1862. By this marriage there were five children: Emma, born August 3, 1842; Margaret, born June 6, 1845; Loretta, born August 30, 1852; Mary C., born July 4, 1855; Caleb J., born May 25, 1858. In November of 1866, he married for his second wife Mrs. Zadoch Whitfield, daughter of Joel and Rebecca (McDaniel) Clark. Two children were born by this marriage: Ella May, born May 17, 1867, and Bertie Blanch, born July 20, 1869.
Mr. Barton has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, and in his chosen vocation has been eminently successful; his home farm, consisting of two hundred and fifty acres, evidences his skill and thrift. He has always taken a deep interest in matters of public import, and has occupied various positions of public trust, notably among the number that of county commissioner, which office he filled acceptably for three years.
SOURCE: Page(s) 308-322, History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project