South Woodberry Township
Township Organization- The Early Settlement- Early Markets and Transportation Facilities- The Early Settlers- Their German Origin- Their Characteristics- Sketches of Numerous Families- Later Settlers- Villages- Pattonville- New Enterprise- Churches.
WOODBERRY township was organized about the year 1785. South Woodberry township was organized in 1838. It embraces some of the best agricultural land in the State of Pennsylvania. It is peopled by a thrifty, economical and moral class. The farms and improvements are unexcelled in Bedford county.
South Woodberry is included in the southern end of the beautiful and fertile valley known as Morrison's cove. It doubtless was settled prior to the revolution, though it is questionable whether any settlers remained here during the most exciting periods of the war. But after the struggle had ended, the excellence of the soil in this valley attracted the attention of land speculators, who bought up this territory in large quantities. The land was disposed of to settlers at figures which were then considered high, and by degrees the cove became peopled and improved. Nearly all of the old settlers were of German ancestry, and the majority belonged to the religious sect known as the Brethren or Dunkards. Their descendants form the principal portion of the present inhabitants. They are a quiet, industrious and deeply religious people.
Many of the pioneers came from a German settlement near Hagerstown, Maryland. Others were from Adams and other eastern counties of this state. Like all colonists, they at first labored under many disadvantages, chief of which were the distance from markets and the lack of facilities for the transportation of produce. Wheat was a staple crop, and the soil yielded it abundantly as soon as the proper preparations had been made. In a few years Morrison's cove became noted as a great grain-producing region; the shipment of grain, by means of flat-bottomed boats, down the Raystown branch of the Juniata and thence to the eastern markets, was undertaken and successfully carried out. Still later, the opening of the Pittsburgh turnpike through the county created a ready market for many products, and the farmers of the cove gained in wealth and prosperity. Improved roads and the construction of a railroad through the heart of this fertile region now point to an era of greater prosperity.
John Snyder, an early settler near Pattonville, was born in Germany. He came to this county from Hagerstown, Maryland, about 1775, when settlers were few, and located in the woods, but soon made substantial improvements. He was a large landowner and a prominent man in his day. When he first settled in the county he was obliged to go to Chambersburg to get milling done. The family often made cornmeal by grinding the grain in a coffee-mill. Mr. Snyder built the large stone house at the forks of the road and finished it in 1812. He erected a gristmill prior to 1796. His sons, John, Christian and Jacob, lived in the vicinity several years after his death, but went west.
John Snoeberger, one of the early settlers of Woodberry township, was born in Franklin county in 1770, and died in Bedford county in 1841. He married Barbara Boyer, and was the father of Jacob, Daniel, Nancy, Elizabeth, Christina, Barbara and Susan. Jacob and Daniel lived and died on the old homestead. Daniel died in 1841, aged forty-one years. Jacob died in 1868, at the age of seventy-two. Daniel married Christina Hoover, of Blair county. His children were: John, Nancy (Paul), Jacob (deceased), Samuel (deceased), Andrew and Jonathan. John Snoeberger removed to South Woodberry, where he now lives, in 1854. He married Mary Benner, and is the father of L.B. (now farming on the place formerly owned by David T. Miller), Susan, Barbara (deceased), Catharine, Jacob, Nancy, Andrew (now following the butchering business in Broad Top township), Samuel, Amanda, Elizabeth (deceased), Anna, Hannah (deceased) and John.
Theodore Snowberger lived on the Bedford road, about a mile and a half from Pattonville. He was an early settler. His son, John E., was a teacher several years.
John Weaver, who ran a distillery, was an early resident on a farm between the Snowberger property and Pattonville. William Davis, Esq., one of the most influential men of his day, lived on a farm adjoining Potter's mill property.
David Long, Sr., was born near Hagerstown, Maryland, in 1774. He removed to Huntingdon county, where he remained a few years, and thence to South Woodberry, where he died in 1848. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Snowberger, and was the father of nine children. His son, Jacob, born in Huntingdon county in 1799, removed to South Woodberry in 1824, and died in 1882. He married Salome Confer, born in 1804, who is yet living. They had nine children: David C., Elizabeth (deceased), John (deceased), Jacob (deceased), Barbara, Joseph C., Charles and Gideon. David C., a preacher in the Brethren church, is farming in this township. Joseph C. served in the late war, enlisting in August, 1864, in Co. H, 208th regt. Penn. Vols.; was wounded in the final assault on Petersburg; discharged in June, 1865. For four years prior to 1876 he was editor and proprietor of the County Bedford Press. He is now agent for the sale of school furniture and books. Dr. Charles Long is practicing medicine in New Enterprise.
John Brumbaugh, one of the pioneers of South Woodberry, was a native of Hagerstown, Maryland. He removed to Morrison's cove and took up over eight hundred acres of unimproved land, upon which he resided until his death in 1830. His children were Daniel, Mary, David, Jacob and Eva. Daniel, now nearly ninety years of age, is still living, in the State of Indiana. David passed his days in this township. He died in 1875, at the age of seventy-eight. For several years he was a minister of the Brethren church. He married Mary Snyder and was the father of Catharine (deceased), Jacob, Elizabeth (deceased), Martin (deceased), John, Susan (deceased), David S., Mary and Simon. David S. has been in the mercantile business in New Enterprise since 1878, a member of the firm of S.L. Buck & Co. The other sons are prominent farmers.
Jacob Hetrick, of German descent, was born in Virginia in 1795. He came to South Woodberry with his father, one of the early settlers, when young, and resided upon the farm where the family first settled, until his decease in 1858. He married Christina Detwiler. The children of this union were: Elizabeth, Catharine (deceased), Henry (deceased), Jacob (deceased), John T., George and Civilla. Jacob served in the late war a short time. John T. is a shoemaker by trade. He is also engaged in the business of saddlery and harnessmaking in New Enterprise.
Abraham Teeter, born in Franklin county, in 1773, came to Morrison's cove with his parents, who were among the earliest settlers. Abraham married Hannah Neff, also a native of Franklin county. By trade he was a machinist. He died in 1848. His children were: Abraham, Catharine, Elizabeth and Jacob, dead; Daniel, Susannah, Barbara, David, John, Hannah and Mary, living. John is farming in this township. He married Anna Berger and is the father of thirteen children, eleven of whom are living. Samuel, his oldest son, served in the late war about six months. Another son, Joseph B., is farming on the homestead.
Jacob Kagarise came from Franklin county to Morrison's cove early. He removed near Everett in 1840, and there died at the age of sixty-eight. He was the father of John (deceased), Nancy, Daniel, Susannah, Christian, Jacob, Mary (deceased), Barbara, Samuel, David, George B., Isaac (deceased) and Abraham (deceased). George B. moved from Monroe township to his present farm in South Woodberry in 1854. His children are: Wilson, George, Nelson, Jerome, Esther, Irvin, Oliver and Erastus.
Jacob Kagarise, son of Jacob, has been living in this township over sixty years. His children are: Leah A., Eli, Edward and Andrew Z. Eli is a miner by trade; Edward is ticket agent at Roaring Springs; Andrew Z. is farming in South Woodberry.
Henry Fluck, son of John Fluck, an early settler of Hopewell township, was born in 1785 and died in 1844. He married Christina, daughter of John Snyder, a very early settler, and was the father of Susannah (Bowser), John, Jacob, William, Henry, Nancy, Christian, Emanuel, Mary (Longenecker), Levi and Samuel. The survivors of this family are: William, ex-sheriff of the county, Henry, Emanuel, Levi and Samuel.
Tobias Fluck, son of John Fluck, was born in Hopewell township, in 1793. He removed to Woodberry township in 1812, and resided here until his death in 1834. Mr. Fluck married Nancy, daughter of John Snyder, the pioneer settler at Waterside, and was the father of Mary, Harry, Abram (deceased), Catharine (deceased), Sarah, Susan and John B. The last named has always resided near his birthplace. In early life he was a school-teacher. He also followed surveying a number of years. His son, Frank B. Fluck, is the present county surveyor.
Daniel Replogle was born in Bloomfield township in 1799. He died in 1871. He was the owner of over five hundred acres of land, the greater portion of it being in South Woodberry. He married Nancy Brumbaugh. Her grandparents came from Holland, prior to the American revolution, and settled in Maryland, whence they removed to this county. Daniel Replogle's children were: George, John, Daniel, Susannah, Elizabeth, Nancy (deceased), Isaac, Henry, Samuel, Levi, David (deceased), Mary, Barbara (deceased) and Christopher (deceased). Isaac lives in Huntingdon county, and Samuel in Blair. All the others who are living are in Bedford county. Isaac and Levi are deacons of the Brethren church. George Replogle and his son, George Z., are farming on land formerly owned by Daniel Replogle, Sr.
Henry Butts, a captain in the war of 1812, died in 1846, at the age of seventy-five years. He was a native of Reading, Pennsylvania. He married Esther Stahl. His children were: Mary, Joseph, Sarah, John, Catharine, Frederick, William, Thomas, Henry, George and James B., of whom only Thomas, Henry and James B. are living. George and Henry served in the late war, in the 77th regt. Penn. Vols. James B. enlisted August 8, 1862, in Co. C, 133d regt. Penn. Vols., and served nine months. February 29, 1864, he re-enlisted in Co. A, 184th regt. Penn. Vols.; was appointed principal musician; discharged July 28, 1865. He at present holds the office of county commissioner.
John S. Snyder, a native of Snake Spring township, where his ancestors were early settlers, came to South Woodberry in 1845. He married Susannah Replogle, and their children are Jacob (deceased), Daniel, David, Andrew R., Samuel, Elizabeth and Amanda. Andrew and Samuel reside on the homestead, and are engaged in farming.
Joseph Brown Noble was born on Licking creek (now Fulton county), in 1807. His ancestors were Scotch-Irish, and early settlers. He was principally engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1839, when he was appointed prothonotary of Bedford by Gov. Porter. He was elected to the same office in 1840, and subsequently was re-elected for the two succeeding terms. He afterward served one term as associate judge. He was one of the earliest school directors of South Woodberry township, and held the office of justice of the peace a number of years. He was a candidate for state senator and representative, and though the district was then largely republican, came near being elected. After retiring from office, he bought the old woolenmill at Waterside in 1860, and rebuilt it in 1867. He died in 1875. His wife was Charlotte Davis, a native of Franklin county, and her children were John I. (deceased), James D. (deceased), William B. and Joseph E. James D. Noble graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1860; was appointed assistant surgeon of the 55th Penn. regt., then commanded by Col. (afterward Gov.) J.F. Hartranft. He was promoted to surgeon, which position he resigned in 1864. In 1865 he was appointed assistant surgeon in the United States navy, and held the position until the close of the war. He died in 1874, in his thirty-seventh year. Rev. William B. Noble is pastor of the First Presbyterian church in Norristown, Pennsylvania. Hon. Joseph E. Noble has served as justice of the peace, school director, and in other township offices. He was a member of the legislature of 1879-80. He has been connected with the Waterside woolenmill since 1867.
Rinehart Replogle was born near New Enterprise, in 1794, and died in 1859. He married Elizabeth Long, of this township, and was the father of David, John, Joseph, Simon, Rinehart, Rebecca (deceased), Elizabeth and Esther (deceased). John Replogle owns the flouring-mill in the southern part of Woodberry township. He married Elizabeth Dull, a native of Franklin county, and is the father of seven children: Calvin, Simon, Catharine, Elizabeth, Emma, Anna and Susan. Calvin is farming on the home farm.
Andrew G. Biddle was born in Blair county in 1792. He died in 1834. He was a miller and farmer. He married Mary Holsinger and was the father of Jacob H., Susannah (deceased), and Levi H. Levi H. Biddle is living on a farm of nearly four hundred acres, which was purchased by his father in 1830.
Christian King, son of John King, who resided in Huntingdon and Fulton counties, came to South Woodberry and married Nancy Long, and settled on the farm where he now lives. His children are: Elizabeth, Esther, Barbara, Nancy and C.L. Mr. C.L. King, a school-teacher by profession, is now farming on the home farm.
Leonard Furry was born in Lancaster county in 1807. He came to South Woodberry in 1815, and resided on the same farm until his death in 1877. He was a minister of the German Baptist denomination. He married Hannah Brown, of this township, and was the father of Jacob, John (deceased), Magdalena (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), Samuel and Catharine. John was a German Baptist preacher. Jacob married Elizabeth Berger and lives on the homestead. He is the father of twelve children. Samuel, his oldest son, is a physician in Hastings, Nebraska. David E. and Levi are carrying on the butchering business in New Enterprise.
Dr. William W. Reed was born in Philadelphia in 1806. He removed to Woodberry township in 1840, thence to South Woodberry in 1841. He died in 1851. His wife was Elizabeth Reed, a native of Berks county, and their children are Aaron W., William H. and Nathaniel (deceased). William H. is extensively engaged in the real estate business in Topeka, Kansas. Aaron W. has lived in this township since 1841, excepting three years (1857-60), when he was in Illinois. He is now carrying on farming and distilling. He has served as township constable, county jury commissioner, and took the census of his township in 1880.
Jacob Fyock, a German, was an early settler of Somerset county. His son John lived and died in that county. He reared twelve children, eight of whom are living. His son, Samuel Fyock, a resident of South Woodberry township since 1865, is a cabinetmaker by trade. He served as justice of the peace one term in Paint township, Somerset county. During the war he suffered considerable loss of property at the hands of non-unionists. His barn was burned, his house plundered and money taken, making a total loss of two thousand dollars.
Adam Guyer, a native of Juniata county, moved to Martinsburg in 1816, and there resided for twenty-two years. He afterward lived in Indiana county, Pennsylvania, and in the State of Ohio. Two of his sons, Jacob and Henry, live in this township. Jacob married Fannie Smith, and is the father of eleven children, all living but one: Mattie, John, Henry, Jacob, Elizabeth (deceased), Sarah, Nancy, Barbara, Emanuel, Amanda and Fannie.
Benjamin Lyons, colored, was brought to Martinsburg, from Franklin county, about 1810. He was bound to Jacob Snoeberger when twelve years of age, and held as a slave until he was twenty-eight years old. After becoming free he worked a few years for John Berger, in this township, then purchased a farm, upon which he lived, until his death. He died in 1859, at the age of eighty years. His wife was Mary Heck and their children were Mary, James H. and Catharine, living, and Richard and Elizabeth, dead. James H. Lyons is living on the place formerly owned by his father and has resided here for fifty-eight years. He married Sarah Forsythe, of Maryland, and is the father of fifteen children, all living but two. Mr. Lyons is postmaster at Salemville, an office which was established in August, 1882.
Adam Biddle emigrated from Germany when four years of age, and with his parents settled near Baltimore. He was a wagon master during the revolution. He settled in Blair county, being among the pioneers. John Biddle, one of his sons, was born in Maryland in 1774, and died in Pennsylvania in 1848. Andrew, son of John, was born in 1801 and died in 1875. He married Susan Snowberger, whose parents settled near Roaring Springs. In 1834 he moved to a farm one-half mile south of Pattonville, where he resided until his death. The land on which he settled was nearly all unimproved and had no buildings upon it. The children of Andrew Biddle were John, Drusanna, Elizabeth (deceased), Jacob S. and Andrew B. Jacob S. Biddle was a soldier in the rebellion, in Co. I, 194th regt. Penn. Vols., and in Co. M, 22d Penn. Cav. He married Emma Shoenfelt, of Waterside. He was a farmer until 1881, when he engaged in the creamery business, starting the first creamery in this county.
Anthony Henry emigrated from France in 1830, and settled in Huntingdon county. In 1861 he removed to Ohio, where he died in his eighty-second year. His son, John Henry, has resided in South Woodberry since 1854. He served in the late war from June 24, 1863, until his discharge in February, 1865, and held the rank of quartermaster. By trade he is an ornamental weaver.
David Price was born in St. Clair township. He is a son of Daniel Price, who came from Huntingdon county to Bedford county about 1840, moved to Morrison's cove in 1847, and died in 1879. David Price has followed school-teaching in winter for the last twenty years, and worked as a mason in summer. He was in the army (Co. C, 110th Penn.) from August 25, 1861, until October 24, 1864, and was wounded at the battle of Winchester, March 23, 1862. On April 1, 1882, he was appointed United States storekeeper and gauger.
Pattonville is situated on a tract of land mentioned in the records as the "Joseph Sims survey." This tract is one of a large number of surveys in South Woodberry which were originally owned by Hon. Charles Cox. Martin Loy, Sr., settled on this tract very early, and owned a mill, a store and two large farms. A small settlement grew up around him, and was named Loysburg. He had two sons, Martin and David. The former became the owner of the store and the mill property, and the latter occupied the farm lying south of the village. The Loysburg property was sold to James Patton and Col. John Bingham in 1844. Subsequently Patton became sole owner. The name of the village was then changed to Pattonville. In 1860 James Patton sold out to Daniel Bare. In 1864 Daniel Bare, Jr., and Andrew Spanogle, the then proprietors, sold the property to William H. Aaron, the present owner.
The village is pleasantly situated in the midst of romantic scenery, near the gap in Tussey's mountain, through which flow all the waters of the southern part of Morrison's cove. East of Pattonville, in the gap, is Rockford, where there is the finest water-power in Bedford county. This water-power was improved by Harvey Linton and John B. Fluck, in 1871. In the spring of 1883 the Pennsylvania Railroad Company began building a railroad through this gap to connect the Hollidaysburg branch with the Huntingdon & Broad Top road. While the workmen were removing the rocks from a cut near the planing-mill, they found underneath the earth an earthen pot, whose appearance indicates that it was made by the aborigines.
Pattonville has two stores, a large flouring-mill owned by W.H. Aaron, and the usual minor village industries. J.B. Fluck's planing-mill is one-fourth of a mile east of the village, and J.S. Biddle's "Frigid Spring Creamery" one-fourth of a mile north. The creamery originated by Mr. Biddle is now owned by Biddle & Keagy, D.F. Keagy, of Woodberry, being his partner.
Martin Loy emigrated from Germany about 1774. In 1788 he moved from Bucks county to Woodberry township and settled on Clover creek, near the site of Woodberry borough. About 1795 he removed to the site of Loysburg or Pattonville, where he erected a gristmill, kept a store and engaged in farming. He died in 1826, aged about seventy-two years. The children of Martin and Margaretta (Hoffman) Loy were: Martin, Christina (Bowser), Catharine (Stineman) and David. Martin, Jr., was born in 1784; married to Elizabeth Ferguson, of Snake Spring valley, in 1808; died in 1847. He was the father of twelve children, none of whom now live in this county. He was a colonel of militia and served two terms as a representative in the legislature. He made all the improvements on the Loysburg property, the first of which was the brick house erected in 1820. His brother, David, was born about 1790 and was reared on the Loysburg farm, of which he subsequently owned the southern half. He was interested in the iron business at Lemnos forge for a time. He also served one term in the legislature. He removed to the West and died in Iowa.
The first postmaster was Martin Loy, Jr. He held the office until 1838, and was succeeded by his son, John F. Loy. The mail was at first carried weekly from Yellow Springs, Huntingdon county, to Bloody Run.
John Dittmar, the oldest resident of Pattonville, came from Germany in 1837 and settled in South Woodberry in 1838, and has since followed the saddler's trade. He married Catharine Diehl, a descendant of one of the early settlers of Friend's cove, and his children are: David, Mary, Catharine, C.W., Anna and Harry. David is a minister of the Reformed church and is now located in Adams county. C.W. follows the saddlery business in Pattonville.
Henry Brown was born at New Enterprise in 1808. He followed farming, and died in 1833. He married Sarah Shelly, and was the father of three children: Abram S., J.S. and Philip. J.S. Brown follows milling at Pattonville. Mr. Brown married Catharine Keifer, whose great-grandfather, an early settler near Woodberry, was a soldier in the revolutionary war.
Hon. D.B. Armstrong, of Pattonville, is a son of Joseph Armstrong and a grandson of Henry Armstrong, whose history appears in Snake Spring township. Mr. Armstrong enlisted in the 8th Penn. reserves April 10, 1861; served as sergeant; taken prisoner June 27, 1862; was forty days in Libby and Belle Isle prisons; discharged May 20, 1864; re-enlisted July 21, 1864; was appointed to special duty and had charge of substitutes and drafted men from Maryland and Delaware at Camp Bradford, near Baltimore; mustered out November 5, 1864; participated in a number of severe engagements. Mr. Armstrong was elected to the legislature by the republicans in 1864 and re-elected for the next term. Since 1866 he has been engaged in mercantile business at Pattonville. He is also a correspondent of the county papers.
Peter Aaron, of German descent, was born in Bedford township in 1806. He moved to South Woodberry in 1865 and died in 1872. His wife was Christina Kempell. They had eight children: William H., John (deceased), Sarah (deceased), Mary E. (deceased), Rebecca, David (deceased), James L. and Amanda. Mr. William H. Aaron came to South Woodberry in 1865 and purchased from Andrew Spanogle four hundred acres of land, upon which most of the village of Pattonville is situated. Mr. Aaron is engaged in farming, milling and dealing in general merchandise. He owns, in all, six hundred acres of land.
The Jamisons are of Scotch-Irish descent. David Jamison, who was born and reared in East Providence township, moved to South Woodberry in 1870, and died here in 1882, aged sixty-four years. He married Sophia Defibaugh and was the father of Melissa, B.F., J.T., D.C. and Catharine (Stoner). B.F. Jamison, a school-teacher by profession, has resided in Pattonville since 1871. He is now serving as justice of the peace. He was a volunteer in the late war. Enlisting August 7, 1862, he was discharged May 4, 1863; wounded at the battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862. He re-enlisted February 22, 1864, and served till the close of the war; was taken prisoner in June, 1864, and was confined in the Andersonville prison over four months.
Daniel Karns, son of Philip Karns, an early settler of Southampton township, came to South Woodberry about 1847. He has followed the furniture business for about forty years. Mr. Karns married Mary Enslow and is the father of Jane, George W., John S. and Harriet. John S. has been engaged in the furniture business in New Enterprise for the last five years. George W. and his father are cabinetmakers and furniture dealers in Pattonville.
New Enterprise is a prosperous and growing village. Though comparatively a new place, it is fast becoming a thrifty town. Simon Beard, now of Hollidaysburg, erected the first house in what now constitutes the village, in 1844. David F. Buck built and opened the first store in the place in 1849. He was also the first postmaster in the place. The office was established in 1863. Previous to that date the village had been known as Beard's Crossroads.
Samuel Buck, of German descent, was born in Dauphin county in 1790, and removed to Bedford county in 1828, settling about four miles northwest of New Enterprise. His son, David F., was a merchant in New Enterprise for seventeen years, and was then succeeded by his son, C.L. Buck. David F. died in 1873. He married Barbara Longenecker, of Woodberry township, and was the father of Amanda, Charles L., Melissa, Samuel L. and Sabina C. (deceased). C.L. Buck is a minister in the Brethren church. S.L. Buck & Co. (successors to Buck & Replogle) are engaged in the mercantile business in New Enterprise.
Adam Haderman, a native of Germany, came to America in 1839, and in 1840 to South Woodberry, where he has since resided. Mr. Haderman was school director eighteen years, and justice of the peace ten years. He was township auditor fifteen years. Since 1843 he has been running a tannery at New Enterprise. One of his sons, Matthew J., served one year in the late war. Rufus C., his youngest son, is an attorney in Bedford.
David L. Replogle, whose father and grandfather were early settlers, married Rosanna Zook, and is the father of seven children: R.Z., J.Z., Lizzie, Eli, Sarah, David and William. R.Z. Replogle is a minister of the Brethren Church, and is now traveling in the interest of the Ashland (Ohio) College. J.Z. Replogle has been engaged in the mercantile business in New Enterprise several years, and in business for himself since 1878. His father also has an interest in the store. J.Z. Replogle was formerly a partner of S.L. Buck.
Michael Dull is a native of Juniata township, and is now living in Napier. He is a shoemaker by trade, but follows farming chiefly. He married Eliza Nicodemus, and is the father of William H., B.F., Mary J., Sarah E., George A., Reuben E., Margaret M. and Josephine. William H. Dull is engaged in the saddlery and harness business in New Enterprise. He has followed his trade since 1865.
Michael Fox, of German descent, was born near Kittanning, Armstrong county. He removed to Bedford county in 1855. Mr. Fox has been a blacksmith for fifty-one years and is still in the business. His children are: Mary, Elizabeth (deceased), Martha, George M.C., Lilius and C.W. C.W. Fox graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in 1882, and is now practicing his profession in Woodberry borough. George M.C. Fox learned the blacksmith's trade of his father and has followed it for sixteen years. He has taught school five terms, and was auditor and treasurer of Woodberry borough.
Nathan Hurley, born in Maryland in 1798, removed to Bedford (now Blair) county in 1837, and thence to Centre county, where he still resides. Two of his sons, John and Webster, died in the late war. William Hurley, son of Nathan, is now keeping the hotel at New Enterprise which was built by Samuel Stayer in 1873. He served in Hancock's corps from September, 1862, until June 15, 1865, and was wounded in the service.
A literary society was organized in 1852 in the schoolhouse near New Enterprise. John B. Fluck, J.R. Durborrow, Adam Haderman and David C. Long were among its original active members. An organization has been maintained under different names up to the present time. In 1871 the present organization was effected under the name of the La Clede Literary Society. It is one of the most flourishing societies in the county.
The Home Library Association was organized and chartered in 1881. John P. Williams, Joseph C. Long, C.L. Buck, Dr. Charles Long, D.S. Brumbaugh and Jacob Furry were among the original projectors. The library consists of about three hundred volumes of well-selected literature. It is the only public library in the county.
New Enterprise independent school district was constituted at the April term of court, 1881.
D.S. Brumbaugh, Dr. Charles Long, L.H. Biddle, D.L. Replogle, S.L. Buck and M.I. Haderman were the first board of directors elected. A two-story brick house was erected and formally dedicated December 2, 1881. John G. Krichbaum and Miss Mary R. Bell were the first teachers.
Brethren.- The Yellow Creek congregation of the Brethren church was organized with a small membership as early as 1796. There have been regularly conducted religious services by this denomination ever since this part of the country was settled, the early pioneers being largely of the Brethren faith. The first bishop in Morrison's cove, so far as known, was John Martin, who located in the present county of Blair before the revolutionary war. Daniel Paul was another of the early bishops in the cove. In the south end of the cove, Bishop Oberholtzer is supposed to have been the first preacher. He was succeeded by Samuel Uhlrich prior to 1876. The succeeding bishops have been as follows: John Holsinger, Sr., 1825-49; John M. Holsinger, 1845-71; Jacob Miller, 1870, the present bishop. The first meeting-house in the Yellow Creek district was built in 1839. The congregation now has four meeting-houses and a total membership of three hundred. The present ministers are: David Straley, R.Z. Replogle, C.L. Buck and J.C. Replogle.
Pattonville Reformed Church.- St. John's Reformed church was organized in 1847 by Rev. Matthew Irvine. The original members were Adam Haderman and wife, John Dittmar and wife, Samuel and John Nicodemus, Daniel Lingenfelter and wife, William Snyder, Eliza Snyder; A. Haderman and J. Nicodemus, elders; J. Dittmar and S. Nicodemus, deacons. The pastors have been: Revs. Matthew Irvine, Samuel Phillips, F.A. Rupley, William M. Deatrick, A.R. Kremer, Henry Hoffmeier, E.D. Shoemaker, H.F. Seiple and I.N. Peightel. A house of worship was erected in 1847-8, at a cost of fifteen hundred dollars. The church rebuilt on the same site in 1881-2 cost three thousand five hundred dollars. There are at present one hundred members in the church, and one hundred and ten in the sabbath school. The congregation is out of debt and prosperous. Rev. I.N. Peightel, who is now in charge, was installed as pastor in 1878.
Methodist.- Pattonville Methodist Episcopal church was organized in 1853. The first pastor, Rev. James Stevens, was succeeded as follows: Revs. J. Ritchey, William Parkison, W.M. Memminger, G.W. Berkstresser, C. Graham, J. Melick, J. Clark, John Morehead, A.J. Decker, I.N. Coleburn, J.W. Lecky, J.W. Cleaver, William Guinn, M.L. Smith and I.N. Heckman. The first class-leader was Hezekiah Anderson. The present membership is forty. A house of worship was erected in 1853.
Presbyterian.- Waterside Presbyterian church was organized November 9, 1880, by a committee of Huntingdon presbytery, with seventeen members. Joseph E. Noble, Thomas Border and D.B. Kochenderfer were elected deacons. The pastors have been Rev. J.V. Boal, Rev. E.P. Foresman and Rev. John C. Wilhelm. The church was erected in 1872, at a cost of eighteen hundred dollars. The present membership is about sixty. The original members received certificates of dismission from the Yellow Creek church for the purpose of organizing this congregation.
In addition to the churches already mentioned, there are two organizations in this township, one of the Seventh Day Baptists, and the other of the River Brethren, each having a meeting-house and a small congregation. No records obtainable.
CHARLES LONG, M.D,
Joseph Long, the progenitor of the American branch of this family, was a native of Switzerland, and came to America about 1740, and settled near Hagerstown, Washington county, Maryland, where he reared his family, and where some of his descendants still reside.
In the advanced years of his life, he migrated with a portion of his family to the wilds of Southwestern Pennsylvania, in the vicinity of Shirleysburg, Huntingdon county, where his son David married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Snoeberger, a minister of the Seventh-Day Baptist church of Morrison Cove.
David became the father of nine children, viz.: Jacob, Susannah, Barbara, Elizabeth, Catherine, Nancy, David, Esther and Joseph. A few years after his marriage he removed to Bedford county, and located on the farm of his father-in-law, near Baker's Summit, where he died in 1848.
Jacob was born in Huntingdon county, May 3, 1799, and on reaching manhood chose farming as a vocation, and located in South Woodberry township, this county.
Though passing his days in quiet upon his farm, never seeking public honor, he became one of the best and most favorably known citizens of the township in which he resided. Being largely philanthropic, and public-spirited to a high degree, he stood ever ready to further enterprise for the good of the community in which he resided.
Deeply interested in education, he early championed the cause of the free-school system, and deposited the first ballot cast in his township in its favor. He served for many years in the capacity of school-director, and his counsel and advice served to adjust many difficulties. The old-time teacher and pupils well remember his smiling countenance.
Not satisfied with the opportunities afforded in the then existing free schools, he sent each of his sons to boarding-schools and had them all liberally educated.
Hospitable, generous, a man of excellent judgment, one in whom his neighbors imposed implicit confidence, he was called upon to adjust the settlement of many estates, and much of his time in his riper years was given to this service. Ever ready to adopt any important improvement in the methods of husbandry, he was one of the first to use lime as a fertilizer in his community.
He was an earnest and consistent member of the Seventh-Day Baptist church, and departed his life March 24, 1882, at the ripe age of eighty-three years.
He was married to Salome Confer, who still survives him in the ninety-fourth year of her age. They became the parents of nine children, viz.: Nancy, David C., Elizabeth, John, Jacob, Barbara, Joseph C., Charles and Gideon.
Charles Long, who was born September 12, 1841, aspired to a profession, and pursued his academic education at Cassville Seminary, Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, and at the State Normal School at Millersville, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. After teaching in the public schools some years he began the study of medicine with Dr. Saml. H. Smith, Woodberry, Pennsylvania, and graduated in the medical department of the Union University at Albany, New York, in 1867.
He immediately began practice at New Enterprise, where he still resides. In the winter of 1869-70. he attended a course of medical lectures at Bellevue Medical College, New York, where he received an ad eundem degree.
The doctor possesses the respect and confidence of the citizens of the village and community in which he resides; and extensive and onerous as his professional duties are, his energies have not alone been directed to his profession.
He is the founder and projector of notably worthy enterprises, in his resident village, among which are the "La Clede Literary," "Home Circulating Library," the constitution of the Independent school district, and the establishment of a graded school. The doctor's energy and talents, in the vigor of manhood, promise him a useful future.
JUDGE JOSEPH B. NOBLE.
Gen. John Noble, father of the subject of this memoir, was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1768. When a young man he emigrated to Licking Creek, Fulton county, in this state, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1842. He engaged in farming and the lumber business, in which he was quite successful, becoming the possessor of quite a large landed estate, and was one of the leading men of his section. He acquired the title of general by reason of the office he held in the state militia. He was married to Elizabeth Irvine, who departed this life in 1849. They became the parents of four children, viz.: Joseph B., Susan, John H. and William I. Joseph B. Noble, familiarly known as Judge Noble, was born in Licking Creek, then Bedford, now Fulton county, June 7, 1807. Reared on a farm, he early evinced a desire for more active business pursuits, and secured labor in a carding-mill. Subsequently, in connection with farming operations, he engaged in merchandising, and at the same time operated a gristmill, all of which he prosecuted successfully, thus evincing a high order of business and executive ability, which ever characterized his long, busy and successful life.
It was while thus thoroughly immersed in business, that he, in January, 1839, was appointed to the office of prothonotary, which then included the duties of clerk and recorder, of Bedford county. Before the expiration of the term for which he was appointed the office became elective, and he was elected by handsome majorities, three times in succession, serving in this capacity nearly ten years. At the expiration of this time, notwithstanding the requests of his friends to the contrary, he decided to retire to private life, and accordingly purchased a large farm and gristmill in Morrison's Cove, which he operated until about 1860. He then purchased the Waterside woolen factory property, and replaced the old with the present factory buildings, the finest in the county, and, in fact, equal to any in this part of the state. This business he conducted in connection with his son, under the firm name of J.I. Noble & Co. Although having no further desire for office, he was called upon by the people to fill the position of associate judge, also that of justice of the peace, and the minor township offices, all of which he filled with marked ability and fidelity, as he did those of more importance, his motto being, "What is worth doing at all is worth doing well." As school-director and as a private citizen he lent all his influence to further the cause of education, in which he was deeply interested. Politically he was a most decided democrat, and his name graced the democratic ticket for the offices of state senator and representative in a district that was hopelessly republican, and the fact that he at one time polled one thousand votes in excess of his ticket sufficiently attests the popularity of the man. He was the active member of the board of commissioners who erected the new county infirmary, and was largely instrumental in causing the building of the Pattonville and Roaring Springs pike, in fact, he was a most cordial supporter and promoter of works of a public nature. His was a most active life, and he not only did much legal business in the way of making out administrators' and executors' accounts, but also held the sacred trusts of guardian and administrator in many instances, and it is quite remarkable that he always conducted the business so equitably as to avoid litigation. He was an open-hearted, liberal man- a man who could be called everybody's friend, and as such, was often consulted by those in difficulty, to whom he freely gave advice, which was largely followed. January 12, 1832, he was united in marriage with Charlotte Davis, in the same room in which he was ushered into life. Mr. Noble donated two-thirds of the funds necessary to erect the Presbyterian church at Waterside, of which both he and his wife were members.
Mr. Noble departed this life, December 18, 1875, at a ripe age of sixty-eight, thus ending a long and useful life. Mrs. Noble died March 12th, 1859. They were the parents of seven children: John I., Dr. James. D., Dr. William B., Edward H., Joseph E., Daniel D. and Mary E. Only two still survive, viz.: Dr. William B., pastor of the First Presbyterian church at Norristown, Pennsylvania, and Hon. Joseph E., who is now engaged running the woolen-factory formerly owned by his father. Joseph E. has filled several of the township offices, including that of justice of the peace, and in 1878 was elected member of the state legislature, serving in the session of 1879.
Among the emigrants to this country none have done more to increase its material wealth and prosperity than those from Germany. It was from this country that Adam Hadermann, the subject of this biography, emigrated to the United States in 1839, he having been born in Schleuchtern, Germany, February 12, 1812. His father, George Hadermann, passing away when he was eighteen months old, his mother, Martha (Hildebradt), married a tanner by trade, and it was this occupation that he was early taught. Early evincing a thirst for knowledge that was quite phenomenal in one so young, he seized with avidity the fine opportunities that presented themselves in the gymnasium, or public schools of his native village, and notwithstanding the fact that he was obliged to labor in the tannery after school until time for retiring, his stepfather being poor, he succeeded in making remarkable progress by early rising. He pursued his studies with such eagerness, and being withal a precocious youth, that he graduated with the highest honors when fourteen years of age, he having mastered not only the German branches, but also acquired a classical education, he having learned Latin and Greek so thoroughly that he conversed freely in the former language, and could therefore be appropriately called a mental prodigy. His family having for five generations prior to his father, who was a miller by trade, been ministers of the gospel, it was his ardent desire to follow in their footsteps, but fortune, or rather a lack of it, prevented, he not possessing sufficient means to prepare himself for the ministry, and was therefore obliged to commence in earnest the life of a tanner, so distasteful to him who was intended by nature for a higher sphere of action.
Finding it impossible to secure the necessary means by working at this trade, the wages being so insignificant, to pursue the course in life he was so anxious to espouse, he soon formed the resolution of emigrating to America; but owing to the military requirements by the government and filial love for his mother even this long-cherished plan was not put into execution until he had attained the age of twenty-seven years. Upon landing in New York an invoice of his worldly possessions found him in possession of sixty dollars, which amount appeared totally inadequate to warrant him, an entire stranger to our manners and customs, to put into execution the project he had in view- "writing a history of the people of the United States and their resources." Not being in the least discouraged, he set about his self-imposed but congenial task, he maintaining himself by working at his trade while traveling and gathering the desired information. In the spring of 1840 he came to Everett, and one year later to Pattonville, where labor on his history, which then embraced the portions devoted to Pennsylvania, New York and Maryland, terminated. Being unable to obtain pay for services rendered at his trade, he was obliged to purchase his employer's entire stock in order to secure his wages. The indebtedness thus incurred amounting to twenty-seven hundred dollars, required his entire time and energies for several years to liquidate. In 1846 he moved to New Enterprise and established himself in business. He purchased his present property in 1849, and has succeeded by industry, perseverance and strict integrity in accumulating a competency.
Probably no one man has been such an important factor in shaping and furthering the educational interests of his township as Mr. Hadermann. Being an educated man, he lamented the standard of scholarship with which the people seemed contented, and immediately set about awakening an interest in education and did much toward preparing the people to accept free schools. For many years prior to the establishment of the county superintendency system, he examined all the teachers of the township and established a teachers' institute, which was held from schoolhouse to schoolhouse, long before the present county system came into vogue. He was instrumental in erecting ten schoolhouses, and by so doing incurred the displeasure of some, who even endeavored to intimidate him by threats of personal violence, so bitterly were they opposed to free education. Mr. Hadermann is the sole survivor of the first six school-directors elected upon the establishment of free schools, and held this office for eighteen consecutive years.
In addition to other township offices he held the office of justice of the peace for ten years, and no case was ever taken from his to a higher court, a ease doubtless without a parallel, which plainly indicates the equity of his decisions. In fact, he was a peacemaker, frequently remitting his own fees in order to effect an amicable settlement between the contestants.
Being a man of unaffected piety and practical christianity, he contributed liberally toward the erection of the first Reformed church in the township in 1848. He also established the first Sunday school in this section, and did not cease in the good work until he had succeeded in organizing six schools. His many disinterested acts for the benefit of his fellowman are characteristic of Mr. Hadermann, whose life is replete with good works.
April 18, 1844, he was married to Lydean Chancy, of Hopewell township, who was born in February, 1823. They have been blessed with eight children: Eliza Jane, Mathew Irvin, Margaret (deceased), Josiah M. (deceased), Rufus C., Augustus (deceased) Harriet (deceased). Of his sons, Mathew I. is conducting his fathers business and Rufus C. is a practicing attorney in Bedford.
SOURCE: Page(s) 301-307, History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project