Formed as a Township In Cumberland County- Derivation of Name- Its Great Extent Originally- Residents of 1771- The Taxables in 1796- Personal Mention of Present Inhabitants and their Ancestors- Towns, etc.- Churches.
THIS township derived its name from Fort Bedford, and was formed as a division of Cumberland county as early as 1768. Indeed, there are reasons for believing that the year mentioned witnessed this rather unimportant event. The original limits were very extensive (Frankstown township, now in Blair county, having been formed from Bedford and Barree in 1875), but in consequence of the destruction of the Cumberland county court-house by fire, on the night of March 23, 1841, many old and valuable records were irreparably lost, and with them, too, all knowledge of the extent originally, and date of erection of Bedford, Cumberland * and Colerain townships disappeared forever.
As to who was the first settler within the limits of the present township of Bedford, where he settled, and from whence he came, there is no recorded evidence. The following deposition, however, establishes the fact that the first improvement on what is now known as the Silver farm, lying three miles north of Bedford, was made about 1761. Andrew Glass was undoubtedly the pioneer in that section of the township.
Lesse of John D. Cox
vs Rule to take the deposition
Wm. Procter and of Jeremiah Lochry
Westmoreland County, ss
Personally appeared before me John M. Snowden one of the justices of the Peace for the county aforesaid Jeremiah Lochry who being sworn according to law doth depose & say, That a certain Andrew Glass took up a certain tract of land lying within about three miles of Bedford on a run known by the name of Bulloch Pen Run emptying into Dunnings Creek and resided on it two years (he believes in the years 1761 and 1762) and raised grain thereon and made considerable improvements viz cabin and stables &c, that early in the spring of 1763 he the said Glass was drove into Bedford by the Indians; that he moved from thence in the same year to Carlisle in Cumberland County, that in the fall of the same year (1763) he sold his improvements and all his right and title to the aforesaid tract to a certain William Proctor that this deponent was present when the sale was made and saw the writings delivered to Proctor and further this deponent saith not
When Bedford county was formed in 1771 the three townships named above embraced all of the present county and considerable more territory than its present area, for as already mentioned Bedford township extended northward into the present county of Blair, probably to the Frankstown branch of the Juniata, with Tussey's Mountain as its eastern and the Alleghenies as its western boundaries. In a general chapter entitled "The White Men as Settlers" will be found a complete list of the residents of the township in 1772, and to that chapter the reader is referred for much information pertaining to the early settlers of this immediate locality. Nearly a quarter of a century later (or in 1795) the town of Bedford was incorporated as a borough. In consequence the assessment rolls of 1796 designated whether the taxables were residents of the borough or country. Hence, according to the rolls, the tax-payers of the township in 1796 were as follows:
Solomon Adams, owner of sawmill; James Anderson, Sr., Robert Anderson, James Anderson, Jr., Frederick Amarine; David Anderson, carpenter; Maj. John Andrews, hatter; Adam Acker, Joseph Acker; George Anderson, innkeeper; John Earnest, John B. Anderson, John Allen; Conrad Atley, owner of gristmill; James Burns; Isaac Bonnett, innkeeper; James Berry, Esau Bee, Jacob Berry, Henry Bush, William Blair, John Bradley, Thomas Blair, John Burckholder, John Black, Widow Burket, John Bumgardner, John Claar, George Croyle, John Croyle, Yost Crantz, Daniel Croyle, Philip Croyle, Robert Cameron, John Campbell, William Carr, John Crissman, George Crissman, Henry Coonse (probably intended for Koontz); Adam Croyle, owner of gristmill; Henry Caldwell, John Cochran; George Claar, wagon-maker; Charles Dibert, Michael Dibert, Frederick Dibert, John Dibert, Peter Dull, James Dunlap, Edward Daily, William Drenning, Samuel Davidson, Thomas Dolan, Sarah Ewalt, widow, John Evans, Benjamin Fraser, Jacob Feather, Jacob Fulmer, Peter Feather, William Fraser, John Foster, William Griffith, Thomas Griffith, John Griffith; John Graham, owner of grist and saw mills; Christian Gansler, Elisha Grady, Robert Gibson, Michael Holderbaum, John Helsel, Conrad Haverstock, Thomas Hay, William Holloway, John Holtz, James Henry, Adley Hemphill, Robert Hemphill, George Harbaugh, George Harbaugh, Jr., Patrick Higgins, Adam Huff, Nathan Hammond, Conrad Imler, George Imler, Lawrence Iler, Peter Iler, John Johnston; Morgan Johns, tailor; Thomas Kenton, John Kenton, Simon Kenton, Peter Knuff, Nicholas Knight, Philip Knight, John Lind, Peter Lind, Anthony Lind, Conrad Lomars, Lawrence Lomarson, William Lafferty, John Lafferty, James Lafferty, John Linn, John Liabarger; Mark Masters, innkeeper; Robert Means, innkeeper Samuel McCashlin, John Miller, Peter Miller, Jr., Elias Miller, James McVicker; Duncan McVicker, innkeeper; Leonard Nycum, William Proctor, Joshua Proctor, Godfrey Painter, John Proctor, David Potts, Jonathan Potts, Aaron Quick, Aaron Quick, Jr., Valentine Ripley, Frederick Reighard, John Ruth, John Ritter, Ludwick Repley, Jacob Ritchey, John Ray, Robert Royster, William Rose, Allen Rose, Thomas Ray, Arthur Ray, Jacob Robb, William Scovill, Andrew Steel, Peter Stiffler, George Stiffler, Jacob Stiffler, Henry Stiffler; Jacob Saylor, who owned a gristmill; John Sill, Michael Sill, George Sill, Conrad Samuel, Adam Samuel, William Swager, James Sprague, William Sliger, Leonard Swigart, John Swigart, John Swager, Jacob Stickrod, Luke Simpson, Christian Smith, James Smith, Peter Smith; Jacob Thomas, carpenter; Isaac Thomas, weaver; Widow Todd; Mathew Taylor, surveyor; John Taylor, James Taylor; George Woods, Jr., surveyor; Michael Wallack, Henry Weyandt, Widow Walter; Rhinehart Wolfe, weaver; John Wolfe, carpenter; William Wilson, Nicholas Wilson; Widow Wertz, innkeeper; William Ward, innkeeper; Michael Wilts, Samuel Wallace, Abraham Whetstone, Philip Wolfe; William Williams, weaver; John Mysong, wagonmaker; George Wertz, innkeeper, and Rosey Woods. The township then contained one hundred and thirty-two dwelling-houses, and ninety-six barns, nearly all of which, both houses and barns, were constructed of logs.
Of present residents and their ancestry we give the following:
Joseph Walter, a native of France, was another very early settler in Dutch Corner. He was a farmer and his wife was a Miss Claar. Their children were Samuel, Jacob, Henry, Matthias, John and Barbara (Imler). Of these children, Jacob married Mary Dibert, and their offspring were Samuel, Daniel, Jacob, Jr., Mary A. (Zimmers) and Anna M. (Phillips). Jacob Walter, Sr., died in 1861.
In 1851 Jacob Walter, Jr., married Susana, daughter of Daniel Sill. He occupied the Smith farm on Dunning's creek from 1853 to 1856, then purchased the Russell farm, which he sold in 1866, and bought a portion of the old George Sill homestead, where he now resides.
George Zimmers, son of Anthony, was born in Dutch Corner. In 1847 he married Elizabeth Fetter. Soon after he purchased an unimproved tract of land from Michael Fetter, which is now one of the most productive farms in the locality known as Dutch Corner.
About the year 1812 John Phillips came from Franklin county, Pennsylvania. Subsequently he became the innkeeper at the old "Ritchey stand," and in later years presided as host of an inn at Bloody Run. He finally removed to Snake Spring, where he also kept a public-house until his death, which occurred in 1825. His wife was a Miss Eve Benchoof, of Franklin county, and the children born to them were Jane (Shaffer), Samuel, John, Mary (Gephart) and William. The last-named son was born in Snake Spring, in the old stone house on the Hartley farm. In 1847 he married Anna M. Barnhart, and in the spring of 1855 he purchased a farm of Henry Miller's heirs in Dutch Corner. Of the children of William and Anna M. Phillips- Mary J. (James), John B., Anna M. (Walter), Eva C., Henrietta, Rose M. (Fickes) and Carrie L. (Henderson)- John B. is the only son. Born and reared in Bedford township, he is engaged in agricultural pursuits on the home farm. In 1878 he married Sarah C., daughter of Henry S. Sill.
John Shaffer was an early resident in that portion of the county known as Union township. Subsequently he located in Snake Spring valley, where he died in 1871. His children were Adam, Rachel, Henry, Catharine (Whetstone), Samuel, Margaret (Bowser) and John H. Adam, the oldest son and child of John Shaffer, is yet a resident of Snake Spring township, where his children- Simon L., Catharine (Diehl), John H.L., Jacob B., Mary E. (England), Rachel (Ott) and Sarah A. (Imler)- were born.
John Silver was a resident of Frederick county, Maryland, prior to the revolutionary war, and during that struggle three of his sons served in the American army. In 1790, accompanied by his family, he removed from Maryland and settled at Stonerstown, Bedford county, Pennsylvania. His children were: Samuel, James, John and Richard, all of whom finally located in the State of Kentucky except Richard. The latter married Ann Longstreth, and as his second wife a Mrs. Taylor (nee Elizabeth Coche). The children of Richard and Ann Silver were Elizabeth (Crissman), Sarah (Foster), Ann (Stuckey), Hannah (Peoples and Timons), Susan (Wallack), Rebecca (Stuckey), John, who married Mary Koontz, and Asa, who married Rachel James. All lived to be aged men and women, and but three now survive- Ann, Susan and Asa. To Asa and Rachel Silver were born eight children, of whom Richard, John, Espy, and Sarah (wife of Russell Trout) are living. Throughout a long life, Asa Silver has been known as a good citizen and prosperous farmer. His song, Richard and John, also his son-in-law and daughter, are now well-to-do residents of the State of Nebraska.
John Henderson, the father of ex-Sheriff James A. Henderson, was a native of County Derry, Ireland, and his wife, Sarah Sterling McGowen, was born in County Antrim. In 1816, accompanied by his wife and two children, John Henderson came to America and settled at St. Thomas, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1856, when he removed to the State of Iowa. Born August 19, 1786, he died August 6, 1861. His children were Mary, Mary J. (Hoffman), Hugh J., Elizabeth, (Litz), Sarah (Sheller), Phoebe (Moore), Lydia A. (Leffert), James A., Margaret C. (Litz), Sarah C., and Adam H. Of this family John and James A. Henderson, only, have been identified with the interests and history of Bedford county. The latter was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1829. In 1853, he became a resident of Bedford, and during the same year married Emma, daughter of Jacob Over, of that town. Their children living are Sarah E., John A., Emma, Lydia, Joseph and Jacob (twin brothers), and Maggie, and James A., dead. Mr. Henderson was elected sheriff of the county in 1875.
Simon Stuckey, the ancestor of the Bedford county family of this name, came from Virginia, and settled at or near Bloody Run (now Everett) in an early day. There he married Elizabeth Snyder, and they were the parents of seventeen children who became men and women- David, Jacob, Simon, Daniel, Margaret (Smith), Elizabeth (Snyder), Samuel, Charles, William, Susan (Carney), Mary (Taylor), George, Rosa (Lutz), Sophia (Gump), Abraham, Joseph and John. Of these children George and Mrs. Sophia Gump (mother of Dr. S.H. Gump) are the only survivors. Simon Stuckey, the father, died about 1842.
Charles Stuckey, son of Simon, was born in Snake Spring valley in 1801, where he remained until twenty-one years of age. Afterward he resided for a few years at Stuckeyville, in Napier township, but, in 1846, located upon a farm near the present village of Wolfsburg, where he remained until his death, which occurred in July, 1872. On September 13, 1830, he married Miss Rebecca Silver, and to them were born the following named children: Anna S. (Guthrie), Richard S., Simon H., Emma M. (Scott), William A., Amanda B., Charles W.S. and Virginia E.
F.M. Bixler is a native of Bedford county. His hammer and anvil have aroused the echoes about Wolfsburg since 1857. Among the first settlers of the township was William Todd. The time of his emigration is not known; an approximate date would be about 1776, although he may have settled before that time. According to family tradition, he was frequently obliged to avail himself of the protection of the fort to escape annihilation by the Indians, who were very troublesome at the time. For a further notice of this family see biographical sketch on another page.
Joshua Pierson, Sr., came with his parents from Ireland when but nine years of age, and lived for a few years in Chester county, Pennsylvania. He became a resident of the region now known as Adams county, in 1784, and in 1791 removed to Bedford county. Here he purchased two hundred acres of land of one John Wright and passed the remainder of his days as a farmer. His first wife, Mary Allison, was married in 1784 and died in 1796. In 1800 he married, as a second wife, Elizabeth Hartford, of Bedford township. The children by the first marriage were Joseph, James, Joshua, Jr., Mary and Thomas; by the second marriage, Matthew, John, Isaac and Anna. Of the nine children Anna alone survives. Matthew Pierson, son of Joshua, Sr., was born on the old homestead near Wolfsburg, and followed farming until his death, which occurred in 1872. In 1842 he married Anna E. Varrick, of Bedford township. Their children were Joshua, Mary (Otto), Isaac, Elizabeth (Hart), Esther A. (Mundon), William B., Naomi (Silver), Eva (McClure), Hartford and Jennie (Edwards).
Robert A. Smith was born in East St. Clair township, Bedford county, Pennsylvania. When twenty-one years of age he removed to Ross county, Ohio, where he remained, until 1847. He then returned to Bedford county, and, after a brief residence at Schellsburg, located in Allegheny township, Somerset county, where he died in 1859. He was a miller by occupation, having learned his trade in the old stone mill at Wolfsburg. His wife was Miss Mary A. McCandless, of Ross county, Ohio. Of ten children born to them eight were named as follows: John P., deceased; Sarah J. (Wolf); Hannah H., deceased; David B.; Miles N.; William R., deceased; Susan B., deceased; and Mary A.M. (Lehman). David B. Smith was born in Ross county, Ohio, and came to Bedford county with his father in 1847. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. B, 56th regt. Penn. Vols., serving until May 30, 1865, or the close of the war. He then purchased a farm near Wolfsburg, which occupied his whole attention until March, 1881, when he established a mercantile house at Wolfsburg. Hence he is at present the proprietor of a fine farm and an extensive and varied stock of general merchandise, the sole merchant of the town.
P.G. Trout, a present resident near the town of Bedford, was born in the locality known as Bell's Mills, Blair county, Pennsylvania. Since attaining manhood's years he has been engaged in hotel keeping and farming.
R.S. McCreary, son of Thomas W., was born in West St. Clair township, Bedford county. In 1873 he located at Cessna Station, where he has since enjoyed a profitable business.
David Anderson, a farmer and carpenter, was an early settler in Bedford township, and his name will be found in the list of residents of the year 1796. His children were John, Elizabeth (Wisegarver), Mary (Ray), Sarah (Bixler) and James A. The latter was born on the farm near Cessna Station, and married Margaret Taylor, of the same township. Their children were David, Elizabeth (Ickes), Margaret (Ickes), Mary A. (McCallan), Jacob T., William W. and James R. Of these sons, Jacob T. Anderson is a well-known farmer. In 1861 he married Miss Anna M. Miller, of Bedford county.
John Fluke (the grandfather of the present ex-sheriff, William S. Fluke) served as a teamster in the American army during the revolution. Soon after the close of that war he removed from his former home in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Hopewell township, Bedford county. His wife's maiden name was Dorothy Ott, and to them were born sixteen children. Henry Fluke, son of John and Dorothy, was born in Hopewell township, Bedford county, April 10, 1785, and died in Morrison's Cove, September 2, 1844. He married Christina Snider, whose father, John Snider, came from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and located permanently in Morrison's Cove, Woodberry township, soon after the close of the war for independence. He also had served as a teamster during the revolutionary war. He married Elizabeth Brolliar, and they were the parents of eight children. In 1812 he built the large stone dwelling in the Cove, long known as the Snider residence. Henry and Christina (Snider) Fluke were married by Henry Markley, Esq., of Woodberry township, April 23, 1805, and to them were born eleven children- Susanna, John, Jacob, William S., Henry, Nancy, Christian, Emanuel, Mary, Levi and Samuel S.
William S. Fluke was born in Morrison's Cove, July 21, 1811. On the 1st of April, 1833, he began his apprenticeship as millwright with Immer Barrett, in Somerset county, where he remained until December, 1835, when he removed to Knox county, Ohio. After the expiration of his apprenticeship, he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he arrived June 28, 1837, and where be assisted in building the first drawbridge thrown across the river. In the fall of the same year he went to the Fox and Dupage rivers and superintended the construction of several gristmills. Subsequently he visited St. Louis, Missouri, Galena and Rock Island, Illinois, working as a millwright, boat-builder and carpenter. He returned to Morrison's Cove in the fall of 1840. On December 27, 1842, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Moore, by Rev. Jacob Zigler- a marriage which has resulted in the birth of eleven children, namely, Charlotte M., Origen P., Mary E., Lucinda J., Nancy L., Hugh M., George D., Henrietta V., Elcy G., William H. and Rosadale.
John Moore (who was elected an associate judge of Bedford county in 1802) and two of his brothers were very early settlers in Snake Spring valley, their title to lands there extending back to the year 1765. They came from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. George Moore, son of John, was born in Snake Spring valley, then part of Colerain township, and married Elizabeth Dasher, whose grandfather, Henry Dasher, came from Chester county, Pennsylvania, at an early day and laid out town-lots on the site of Stonerstown. The children of George and Elizabeth (Dasher) Moore were Hugh, George and Elizabeth (Fluke). As their names indicate, the Flukes (originally spelled Fluck), Sniders and Dashers were of German origin. The Moores were of Scotch descent. William S. Fluke has served as justice of the peace and sheriff. (See civil lists.)
When about twenty years of age, or in 1820, Andrew Satterfield came from Milford, Delaware, and for some time was employed by Asa Silvers, of Bedford township. About 1823 he married Miss Lydia, daughter of David Bowen, of the same township, and to them were born the following named children: William A.B., John E., Jane A. (Williams), Elvina (Shoemaker), and Mary A., who died in childhood. Of these children John E. Satterfield married in January, 1850, Miss Sarah A. Gates (daughter of Harry, whose parents came from Lancaster county and settled in what is now Hopewell township before the beginning of the revolution), and they are the parents of six sons and daughters- Harry, Howard M., Elvina J., Annie E., William W. and Edward A. Coaldale is the present place of residence of this family.
Michael Holderbaum, Sr., settled in this township at an early day in its history. He was a young man and was accompanied here by a young wife. To them three children were born,- Julia (Zimmers), Hetty (Earnest), and Michael, Jr. The latter served as a member of assembly in 1842. He married Miss Catharine Bowser, of this township. Their children, seven in number, were John, Margaret, Elizabeth (Ober), Mary (Weimer), Susanna (Weimer), David, who married Miss S.R. Crissman, and Sarah (Beegle). Michael Holderbaum died September 9, 1880, aged seventy-nine years and five months. His widow is still living.
The town of Wolfsburg derives its name from the late Rev. David Wolf, who owned the land in the immediate vicinity at the time of building the Bedford & Bridgeport railroad. It contains a Methodist Episcopal Church edifice, David B. Smith's store of general merchandise, a graded school, blacksmith-shop, wagon-shop, cigar factory, sawmill, about twenty private residences, a parsonage, and the ruins of the old stone gristmill.
The old stone gristmill at Wolfsburg, long a landmark in this part of the county, was built by Michael Sprankle in the year 1800. It was three stories in light, and contained four runs of stone. It became the property of Dr. John Anderson in 1816, of J.S. Morrison about 1830, of Moses Wisegarver in 1842, of Jacob Forner in 1848, of Joshua Pierson in 1857, of John Alsip in 1860. Subsequently, Robert Hutchison, Oliver E. Shannon, Asa Silver, Rev. David Wolf, Asa Stuckey, William E. Nicklin and Scott Stuckey were its successive owners. It was burned February 3, 1882.
Cessna is the northern terminus of the Dunning's Creek railroad. The railroad mentioned branches off from the Bedford & Bridgeport railroad at Bedford, and, running up Dunning's creek about nine miles, renders accessible extensive iron ore deposits, etc., owned by Hon. John Cessna, John W. Lingenfelter, Esq., and others.
Imlertown is found in the region known, locally, as "Dutch Corner," and is named after the Imler family, which for many years has been numerously represented in that vicinity. A handsome church edifice (German Reformed), a good schoolhouse and an excellent store of general merchandise are the chief attractions. It has about a dozen private residences and is seven miles distant from Bedford.
Thomas Anderson and his wife, Alice (Lyon), were both natives of the north of Ireland, or, in other words, Scotch-Irish, but were married in America. A story is told that Anderson had won the affections of the fair Alice in Ireland, but by reason of his habits and proclivities the lady's parents objected to an alliance, and to prevent such a consummation, Miss Lyon was sent to the province of Pennsylvania as the guest of an uncle. In course of time Anderson and his lady love again met at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. An elopement was at once planned and successfully executed, the borders of Virginia were crossed, and in due time they became man and wife. Be this as it may, it seems that Thomas Anderson and his wife began their residence in the town of Bedford about the year 1766, and there passed in peace and contentment the remainder of their days. He built and occupied a house which stood on the corner of Pitt and Richard streets, the site of the present McCulloh building.
Of the children born to Thomas and Alice Anderson but one, Dr. John Anderson, attained years of maturity. In early life Dr. John Anderson married Mary, the daughter of Col. David Espy. Their children were George W., Espy L., Mary E., who married Frank Johnston, of Pittsburgh, and Elizabeth S., who never married. Dr. George W. Anderson practiced his profession but ten or twelve years, being engaged thereafter in the management of varied interests pertaining to the family estate. He died June 20, 1879. His wife was Miss Caroline Morsell, of Washington, D.C. Espy Lyon, the second son of Dr. John Anderson, was admitted as a member of the Bedford county bar January 24, 1832. His wife was Louisa H., a daughter of the first Dr. William Watson. He died May 29, 1866. His widow still survives. Their children (the survivors of whom are the present Anderson heirs) were John, who resides in Bedford; Maj. William W. (who, after serving in the war of the rebellion as first lieutenant and captain in the 59th regt. Penn. Vols., and as major of the 181st regt. Penn. Vols., or 20th Cav., died in service near Harper's Ferry, January 17, 1865); Dr. J. Ross, who died in January, 1873; G. Espy, who resides in Cumberland, Maryland; Mary E. (Middleton), of Bedford; Eliza W. (Beatty), of Harrisburg; Louisa H., (Hickock), of Harrisburg, and Edward H., of Bedford.
Although the Andersons have ever resided in the borough of Bedford, it has been deemed pertinent to associate their names with the famous springs they have controlled for the past three-quarters of a century.
The congregation composing the Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church of Bedford township was organized about the year 1790. Soon after a log church edifice, 30X50 feet, was built, the labor and material being mostly donated. This building was occupied as a house of worship until 1838, when a stone building, 38X52 feet, was constructed at a cost of one thousand dollars. In the summer of 1867 the stone church was taken down, and the present church edifice, a framed building, 40X60 feet in dimensions, was built at a cost of one thousand five hundred dollars. The building committee of the present structure being composed of Henry S. Sill, Daniel Fetter, George Zimmers and Adam Simons.
This church is located in the St. Clairsville charge, hence see the history of St. Clairsville church for list of pastors. The present members are about one hundred and twenty-five in number, of whom Joseph Tomlinson, Daniel Fetter, Adam Simons and Henry S. Sill are elders, William W. Phillips, Jacob Walter, John Imler and Frank Smith, deacons.
Saint Paul's Reformed Church of Bedford township was organized in the year 1862 by Rev. Henry Heckerman, and among its original members were Henry Koontz, Andrew Mellon, David Zimmers, Henry Koontz, Jr., Jacob Zimmers, William Koontz, John Koontz, David E. Zimmers, George W. Zimmers and A.J. Wisegarver. Mr. Heckerman continued in charge until October, 1871, when Rev. Ellis N. Kremer assumed the pastorate, remaining until October, 1881. Since the latter date Rev. C.S. Slagle has officiated as pastor. The present members of the congregation are seventy in number. In 1870 a church edifice was built at a cost of one thousand nine hundred and fifty dollars.
Pleasant Hill Reformed Church, in the township of Bedford, was organized in 1862 by Rev. Henry Heckerman. Prior to that date its members had belonged to the Bedford church. Among them were Adam Koontz, Daniel Koontz, John S. Ritchey, Jacob Yont, George Dibert, John R. Ritchey, John Wisel, Jacob Croyle, Michael Holderbaum, Catharine Ritchey, Eve Koontz, Mary Croyle, Rebecca Wisel, Mary Diehl, Jonathan Diehl, Catharine Holderbaum, Elizabeth Reighard; Jacob Dibert, who gave the lot on which the house of worship stands; Sarah Dibert, Samuel Walter, Mary Walter, Daniel Walter, Abraham Reighard, Caroline Reighard, Frederick Schnably and wife, Andrew E. Dibert, Elizabeth Dibert, Ephraim Koontz, Rebecca Koontz, William Phillips and John B. Phillips.
The church edifice was commenced in 1861, and completed in 1862, at a cost of one thousand one hundred dollars. Andrew E. Dibert, John S. Ritchey and Ephraim Koontz composed the building committee. A Sabbath school has been maintained since 1865. The present members of the congregation number one hundred and thirty-five. The pastors and the length of their pastorates have been the same as for St. Paul's church- Rev. Henry Heckerman from organization until October, 1871; Rev. Ellis N. Kremer, from October, 1871, to October, 1881; Rev. C.S. Slagle, from October, 1881, to the present date. Of the present church officials Abraham Reighard, William Dibert and William Fletcher are deacons; Andrew E. Dibert and Adriel Koontz are elders. The first interment was made in the burial ground in 1861.
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, at Cessna Station, was organized in the fall of 1868, and until 1874 meetings were held in what was termed the Union Church edifice. During the latter year a house of worship was constructed at a cost of two thousand four hundred dollars. The members of this congregation were twenty-three in 1868, fifty in 1874, and now are thirty in number. The church is included in the St. Clairsville charge, Rev. J.M. Rice, pastor. Among early members were Elizabeth Taylor, W.C. Wisegarver and J.T. Anderson.
Prior to 1881 the members composing the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Wolfsburg, held meetings in the schoolhouse. The present church edifice, a framed Gothic building, was begun in 1880, and dedicated June 26, 1881. It cost one thousand four hundred dollars. Isaac Pierson, J.J. Wolf, D.R. Smith, F.M. Bixler and D. Merrill composed the building committee. The present pastor is Rev. James F. Remington, who succeeded Rev. M.C. Piper. Among the early members of this organization were David Wolf and family, Moses Wisegarver and family, and Isaac Pierson and family. The present members are forty-one in number. A parsonage will be completed in July, 1883.
THE TODD FAMILY-JOHN TODD.
The name of Todd is one intimately associated with the history of Bedford township; the date of their settlement was undoubtedly in those perilous times just preceding the revolutionary war, when stern material was required for the protection and maintenance of life. The progenitor of this branch of the family was William Todd. He was born in Scotland, and came to this country some time about the middle of the past century; with him came five others by the same name, who became founders of families in various sections of the United States. From one of Todd's just alluded to, Mrs. Abraham (Todd) Lincoln was descended. William Todd first located at or near Philadelphia, and from thence removed to Montgomery county; from Montgomery county they removed to Bedford county and located a tract of land in the vicinity of Wolfsburg. On a part of this tract located by his grandfather, John was born and now resides; and here, too, his worthy ancestor passed his life; he died when his son William was but seven years of age, 1796. William, Jr., came into possession of one of the two farms he owned at the time of his death, and lived and died on the farm on which he was born. For many years he kept a "tavern" on the old place, and was extensively known not only as a good host but an upright and honorable man. The children of William Todd, Sr., and his wife Hannah (Davis) were Elizabeth, Wilhelmina, Hannah, Ann, William and Andrew. William, Jr., married Elizabeth Sill, and to them were born three children: Ann (now Mrs. Thomas Hughes), John and William; the latter died in 1825, at the age of twenty-three. John, the immediate subject of this biography, was born May 17, 1817; he, like his father, has spent his life thus far upon the farm located by his grandfather; his boyhood days were given to the improvement of the paternal estate and the acquisition of such an education as the schools of that day afforded. After the death of his father he became the proprietor of the old farm, and the well-cultivated fields and commodious buildings are evidence of the fact that he has been a faithful steward. He has been twice married; his present wife, née Miss Margaret C. Horn, to whom he was married in 1857, was a daughter of Henry Horn; his father was a soldier in the war of the revolution, and an early settler of Bedford county. He has been the father of five children, only one of whom, Franklin, is now living. Mr. Todd is a member of the Presbyterian church, while his wife belongs to the Methodist denomination.
* The township known as Cumberland Valley was named Cumberland when first organized, and for several years thereafter. The word Valley seeming to be an unauthorized and unnecessary appendage.
SOURCE: Page(s) 253-268, History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project