The Medical Profession
Early Physicians of Bedford - Biographies of Prominent Representatives of the Profession in the Past and Present- Leading Physicians in the Towns and Villages in the County.
SINCE the establishment of the borough of Bedford, its physicians, and the dates they began to practice here, have been as follows: John Peters, 1778; John Anderson, 1796; George D. Foulke, 1804; William Watson, 1805; John H. Hofius, 1807; William T Davidson, 1808; John Edmiston, 1810 ; Henry Gerhart, 1817 ; Augustus Coolage, 1820; William Van Lear, 1820; Francis B. Barclay, 1823 ; William Vickroy, 1826 ; Philip Fetterly, 1829 ; William H. Watson (son of William), 1835 ; George W. Anderson (Son of John), 1840 ; G.A. Hammond, 1844; R.R. McDowell, 1847 ; George H. Keyser, 1847 ; Samuel D. Scott, 1847 ; John Compher, 1849; F.C. Reamer, 1850; Benjamin F. Harry, 1851 ; William Watson (son of William H.), date unknown ; J.L. Marbourg, 1863 ; J. Ross Anderson (son of Espy L.), 1864 ; William Jamison, 1866 ; - Douglass, 1867 ; Simon H. Gump, 1870 ; William T. Hughes, 1876; James D. Kirk, 1878 ; Drs. Griffith and Danaker, date unknown; John A. Clark, 1877; C.P. Calhoun, 1881 ; George C. Barton, 1882.
Of the medical gentlemen mentioned above, it appears that Dr. John Peters was the first, and for some twelve or fifteen years the only, physician at Bedford he removed to the western country about the year 1790.
Dr. William Watson, the father of Dr. William Hartley Watson, and grandfather of the late Dr. William Watson, was born in the Kishacoquillahs valley, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, in 1778. Dr. John Anderson was his fellow pupil while reading medicine in Carlisle. After graduating, Dr. Watson married his first wife in Carlisle and there practiced his profession for a few years. But in 1805 (his wife having died) he removed to Bedford, where he soon attained distinction and a large practice. Among the visitors at the then recently discovered mineral springs he was also extremely popular. In 1811 he married as a second wife Miss Eliza Hartley, of Mount Dallas, who survived him some thirty years. He died in July, 1835, in the fifty-eighth year of his age. He was of gigantic size, being six feet three inches in height and weighing three hundred and thirty pounds. Indeed all of his male descendants were men of extraordinary size. Of his three Sons and fourteen grandsons who grew to manhood, the average height was over six feet, and the average weight considerably more than two hundred pounds.
Dr. William H. Watson, the eldest child of Dr. William Watson by his second marriage, was born in Bedford. At the time of his father's last illness he was attending lectures. Called home before his graduation, he immediately succeeded his father in an extensive practice, which he conducted with eminent success and ability for thirty-three years, or until his death, which occurred May 20, 1868. He was then in his fifty-seventh year. Many years before his death his alma mater, in acknowledgment of his merit, conferred upon him the honorary degree of doctor of medicine. He was in every respect an estimable, highly respected friend and citizen. In stature he was six feet and one inch, and weighed two hundred and forty pounds. He married Charlotte, daughter of Judge Schell, of Schellsburg, and their eldest child was William.
Dr. William Watson, son of William H., was born in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in the year 1837. He graduated with honor at Lafayette College and the University of Pennsylvania, and began the practice of his profession with his father. On September 16, 1862, he was commissioned surgeon, with the rank of major, of the 105th regt. Penn. Vols., and remained in service until the expiration of his term-May 27, 1865. For a considerable period he served as medical director of the 3d army corps. After the close of the war he resumed his practice in Bedford, and continued until his death, which took place on March 13, 1879. With the closing of his life terminated a professional career of father, son and grandson as extraordinary as it was illustrious.
Dr. Samuel D. Scott served as assistant surgeon of one of the Pennsylvania regiments of volunteers during the Mexican war. Prior to that war, and subsequently, he practiced his profession in Bedford.
Dr. John Compher began his practice here about the year 1849. He was an estimable citizen, and is well remembered by many now living. He died in Bedford several years ago.
As a physician, druggist, postmaster, and in many official capacities, Dr. John H. Hofius was for many years an esteemed and prominent citizen of Bedford. The brave and talented David H. Hofius, Esq., was his son.
Dr. Benjamin F. Harry was born in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in December, 1828. After completing an academic course at Gettysburg, he began the study of medicine with Dr. Abraham Senseny, of Chambersburg. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, a few years later, and in May, 1846, began to practice at Ray's Hill, Bedford county, Pennsylvania. In 1848 he removed to Columbus, Ohio, remaining there three years. He then returned eastward to Bedford, Pennsylvania, where he continued in active practice until his death, which occurred in the month of November, 1875. While residing at Ray's Hill he married Miss Susan Nycum, who is still living. Of the nine children born to them, five survive: Blair G., George McC., William D., Rush N. and Mrs. Jennie McCulloh.
Dr. J.L. Marbourg was born in Indiana county, Pennsylvania. Having acquired a good English education, he attended lectures, etc., at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, also the Pennsylvania hospital, and received his diploma of doctor of medicine in the spring of 1856. He first began to practice at Johnstown, Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1861. He then removed to Philadelphia, but soon afterward, or April 17, 1862, he was commissioned and mustered into the service of the United States as assistant surgeon of the 11th reserves or 40th regt. Penn. Inf. He was slightly wounded in an action at New-market Crossroad. As a result of the injury then received, as well as a generally debilitated state of health contracted during McClellan's peninsula campaign in the swamps of the Chickahominy, he resigned his position on the 28th day of November, 1862. For more than a year he was unable to resume his practice, but in 1863 he located where he now resides, Bedford, and where he is widely known as the oldest physician in the town.
Dr. J. Ross Anderson was a son of Espy L. Anderson, and a cousin of the third or last Dr. William Watson. He graduated in the spring of 1864, and soon after began the practice of his profession in Bedford. For nearly ten years thereafter he was actively engaged. His benevolence in prescribing and providing nourishing food, at his own expense, for his patients among the suffering poor, whose malady-he often was heard to say -was "only the want of something to eat, and something to keep them warm," was proverbial. He died in January, 1873.
Dr. William Jamison began to practice in Bedford about the year 1867, and remained some three or four years. He then removed to Galitzin, where he died about 1878.
Dr. George D. Foulke was a prominent citizen of the town for a number of years.
Dr. John A. Clark was born in the town of Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, September 21, 1848. He was a student of the Elder's Ridge (Pennsylvania) Academy for several terms. Having read medicine with Dr. Frank Marbourg, of Schellsburg, he attended a full course of lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated from that institution in March, 1871. Thereafter he practiced with Dr. Frank Marbourg for four and one-half years, at St. Clairsville, Pennsylvania, for sixteen months, and in Bedford, where he now resides, since March, 1877. He is a member of the Clark family, which has been very prominent in civil and military affairs in Pennsylvania as well as the Western states.
Dr. C.P. Calhoun was born in Monroe township, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1842. After obtaining a thorough English education he read medicine under the instructions of Dr. B.F. Harry. He attended lectures at the Albany (New York) Medical College in 1866-7, and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in March, 1873. He practiced at Centreville, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, from 1869 to 1871. Since the latter date he has been a resident of Bedford borough. He was a lieutenant in the volunteer service during the late war. See military chapters relating thereto.
Dr. George C. Barton was born in Fulton county, Pennsylvania. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1880, and has since practiced at various points in Bedford and Fulton counties.
Dr. U.S. Musser, a son of Samuel Musser, now a resident of Brother's Valley township, Somerset county, was born near Berlin and educated at Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, graduating there from in 1876. In 1878 he was graduated a doctor of medicine from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. Dr. Musser then located at Pleasantville, where he practiced six months in partnership with Dr. Keefe. He then removed to Buffalo Mills, where he now has a large practice.
Dr. J.C. Emigh was born in Martinsburg, Blair county, in 1831. In 1871 he graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Philadelphia. Beginning to practice at Roaring Spring in 1871, he continued there until 1874, when he removed to St. Augustine, Cambria county, where he remained two years. From 1876 until 1879 he practiced at Yellow Creek, Bedford county. In 1879 he removed to Chaneyville, where he has since practiced with good success.
Dr. Charles F. Doyle, of Centreville, was born in Morrison's cove, Bedford county ; educated at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport, Pennsylvania; read medicine with Dr. M. L. Stehley, of Pattonville; graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in 1880; settled at Centreville in 1881, succeeding Dr. C.P. Calhoun.
Dr. Jacob G. Bruckman was born in Germany in 1800 and emigrated to America in 1840. In 1841 he settled in Salisbury, Somerset county, where he practiced medicine for twenty-seven years. Thence he removed to Monroe township, his present residence. Dr. Bruckman graduated at the city of Prague, in Bohemia, in 1831, and has practiced medicine over fifty years. He married Miss Lindeman, and is the father of four children: F. D., a teacher by profession and a carpenter by trade; Elizabeth (deceased); Rebecca, wife of Dr. Enfield, of Clearville, the present county sheriff; and Martha (Delozier), Somerset county.
Dr. E.P. Jenkins is a native of Wales. He came to this country in 1851, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession and as a coal operator. Dr. Jenkins came to this county in 1862. Since 1870 he has been extensively engaged in coal operations on Six-Mile run.
Dr. James Henry, who for many years was the only physician of the eastern part of Bedford county, was a son of George Henry, one of the early settlers. George Henry was a Scotch-Irishman who came from Philadelphia and settled in the town of Bedford. He was a large owner of real estate and a citizen of prominence. He served as treasurer of the county for some years. His wife was a lady of Maryland birth and German descent. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Havener. The children of George and Elizabeth Henry were James, Alexander, George, Eliza, Rebecca, Mary, Jane and Sarah. Four are still living-George, Eliza, Jane and Sarah.
Dr. James Henry was born in Bedford, April 3, 1804. Early in life he evinced a fondness for study, and, entering the Bedford Academy, received a thorough classical training, which, added to the acquirements of later years, rendered him an accomplished scholar of thorough culture. In 1821, he began the study of medicine under the able instruction of Dr. William Watson (the first), in whose care he remained for five years. In 1826, he entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he completed his medical studies two years later.
Dr. Henry settled at Bloody Run (now Everett) in May, 1828, and entered upon his professional career. At that date the life of a country medical adviser was a constant succession of hardships. The county was thinly peopled, and the inhabitants were poor. The roads were bad and all traveling had to be performed on horseback. For many years Dr. Henry's practice extended over large portions of Bedford, Blair and Fulton counties, and sometimes into Maryland and Virginia. He was sometimes without food or rest for twenty-four hours, and for much of his labor he received no compensation whatever. He continued to prescribe until the day before his death - a period of over fifty-one years. There are few examples of a longer or a more successful professional career. His useful life came to an end on October 4, 1879, but his services will be long and gratefully remembered. He was kind to the poor and courteous toward all.
In 1848, Dr. Henry married Miss Sarah E. Smith, who survives him. Mrs. Henry was the daughter of John W. and Elizabeth (Piper) Smith. Her grandfather was Col. John Piper, lieutenant-colonel of Bedford county during the revolutionary war, and the progenitor of a very distinguished family. The doctor found in his wife a worthy and efficient helpmeet, and from the date of his marriage prosperity attended him. Their married life was blessed with five children: James (deceased); George, now engaged in the hardware business in Everett, successor to McClure & Henry; James P., in Idaho; Wm. P.S., now practicing medicine in Everett, and Mary E.
Dr. W.P.S. Henry was born in 1857; studied medicine with his father; graduated at Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania, in 1877, and received the degree of doctor of medicine from the University of Pennsylvania in 1882. Since he began practicing, his success has been very encouraging.
Dr. William W. Jamison practiced in this place about three years, commencing in 1865. He moved to Cambria county, where he died.
Dr. P.H. Pensyl was born and educated in this county, and read medicine with Dr. B.F. Harry, of Bedford. After graduating from the Jefferson Medical College he served in the army one year as surgeon. In 1865 he located at Everett, where he continued to practice until 1876, when failing health compelled him to cease.
Dr. S.G. Miller has been successfully engaged in the practice of medicine at Everett since 1874. He was born at Buffalo Mills, Bedford county; .educated at Mt. Union College, Ohio; read medicine with Dr. G.B. Fundenberg, Cumberland, Maryland; and graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York city.
Dr. H. Howard Hill was born in Fulton county in 1844, and was educated at St Vincent's College, Latrobe, Pennsylvania. He read medicine in Hancock, Maryland, under Dr. J.B. De La Plane, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in 1867. Beginning to practice at Emmaville, Fulton county, he continued there until 1877, when he removed to Everett. His practice is large and constantly increasing.
Dr. D.F. Earnest occupies a creditable position among the medical profession. He is a son of Isaac D. Earnest, now a resident of Bedford, and was born in Bedford township. He read medicine with the late Dr. B.F. Harry, of Bedford, and attended the medical school at Albany, New York. In 1867 he began practicing in Wilmore, Cambria county, where he remained two years. He next practiced in Hopewell, Bedford county, two years, then in King William county, Virginia, four years. In 1877 he located at Everett.
Dr. F.S. Weller is a native of Somerset county, and a descendant of one of the early families in that county. Dr. Weller practiced medicine in his native county a number of years with good success. In 1873 he moved from Northampton township, Somerset county, to Hyndman. Dr. Weller has held several offices in the town.
The first settled physician in New Paris was Dr. A.S. Smith, who moved here from St. Clairsville, about 1870. He died here after about two years practice.
The only physician now in the town is Dr. James B. Statler, who has practiced here successfully since 1874. Dr. Statler was born in this county.
Dr. Henry W. Conrad, son of George Conrad, was born at Scalp Level, Cambria county. He clerked in his father's store until 1873, then attended school and engaged in teaching for several terms. He took a two years' course at the Indiana (Pennsylvania) State Normal School, then attended the Jefferson Medical College. In 1882 he graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio, practiced a short time in Springfield, Fayette county, and the same year located at Osterburg, where he is now practicing. In 1883 Dr. Conrad was married to Amanda, daughter of William Oster, of Osterburg.
The first physician who located in Pattonville was Dr. William Birch. He was succeeded by Dr. Sidney Smith, Dr. James D. Noble, Dr. M.L. Ritchey and Dr. Martin L. Stehley. Martin L. Stehley, a native of Mifflin county, died in Blair county in 1873. He was a merchant for thirty-five years in MacVeighstown, Frankstown and Hollidaysburg. His son, Dr. Martin L. Stehley, graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1874. After practicing two years in Huntingdon county, he removed to Pattonville, where he has since resided, enjoying a good practice.
The first medical practitioner in Pleasantville was Dr. Miller. He was succeeded by Dr. Bendedict, Dr. McGriff, Dr. Beighley, Dr. Speicher, Dr. William E. Hall, Dr. Joseph E. Keefe, Dr. D.H. Hetrick, Dr. S.G. Statler and others. The present practicing physicians are Drs. Hetrick and Statler.
Dr. Daniel H. Hetrick, son of John S. Hetrick, was born in Morrison's cove, where his father still lives. He attended school up to October, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. D, 101st regt. Penn. Vols., in which he served until the close of the war. He was captured April 20, 1864, and held a prisoner in Andersonville and Florence prisons for seven months and twenty days. He attended school in Rainsburg and studied medicine under Dr. Samuel H. Smith, of Woodberry. He received the degree of doctor of medicine in 1869, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession in Pleasantville.
Dr. Samuel G. Statler was born in Stoystown, Pennsylvania; attended Franklin and Marshall College in 1840-1-2. He studied medicine in Ligonier, Westmoreland county, under Dr. S.P. Cummings and graduated a doctor of medicine in 1851. He then located in St. Clairsville, where he remained until 1865. From 1865 to 1878 he practiced at Schellsburg. In 1878 he removed to Spring Meadow and thence, in 1883, to Pleasantville.
Probably the first settled physician in Rainsburg was Dr. John Clow. He was in the place as early as 1830. His successor, Dr. Ferdinand LeFevre, practiced a short time, commencing about 1837. Dr. J.L. McCay came in 1839, and practiced five or six years. He was competent and successful. Dr. Nathaniel C. Wilson practiced here a few years, commencing in 1844. He was succeeded by Dr. J.W. Crawford, who remained until about 1854. Other physicians have practiced in Rainsburg for short periods.
Dr. John G. Hughes was born in Juniata county, Pennsylvania, in 1828. He studied medicine in Hancock, Maryland, attended the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and was graduated therefrom in l853. The same year he came to Rainsburg, where he practiced fifteen months. He then returned to Hancock, and engaged in practice with his preceptor, Dr. Wilson, continuing until 1857. He then returned to Rainsburg, where he has since enjoyed a good practice.
A large number of physicians have located at Ray's Hill, though none have remained long except Dr. E.J. Miller, a prominent and well-known representative of the medical profession.
Dr. Miller is a native of Cumberland county. He graduated at the Charleston University, and subsequently attended medical lectures at Jefferson Medical College. He was four years in the regular army, in the 3d U. S. Cav. After the war he located at Ray's Hill, in 1865, and his practice has since been quite extensive and very successful. Dr. Miller is a member of the National Guard, and has been regularly connected with that organization since 1872. He is now a member of Gen. Beaver's staff and one of the Pensioners' Examination Board.
Dr. W.H. Oyler settled at Ray's Hill in 1882. He is a native of Adams county, and a graduate of the University of New York city.
The first practicing physician in Robinsonville was Dr. George Ray, who remained but a short time. The present practitioner, Dr. D.T. Robinson, is a native of Monroe township, and a graduate of the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Robinson is a son of Ephraim Robinson, who was born in this township, and resided here until 1883, when he removed near Everett. Ephraim Robinson held various township trusts, and was prominent in advancing the best interests of the community.
The practicing physicians of Saxton are Drs. Breneman and Evans.
Micheal Breneman, the grandfather of Dr. Breneman, was of German descent, though a native of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. Isaac Breneman, the father of the doctor, was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, where he married and reared his family. Dr. M.B. Breneman, the fourth child of Isaac Breneman, was born May 22, 1838. He passed his boyhood on a farm, attending the common schools. In his twentieth year he attended a select school at Marklesburg, Huntingdon county, and subsequently he was a student at the academy in Williamsburg, Blair county, and at the Cassville Seminary, Huntingdon county. While obtaining his education he engaged in teaching during the winter months. In 1862 he left the Cassville Seminary, where he was then pursuing his studies, and enlisted in Co. C, 125th regt. Penn. Vols. At Antietam he received a severe wound and was discharged in consequence of it. The doctor's oldest brother, Isaac N. Breneman (since deceased), enlisted under the call for seventy-five thousand men in the first company of soldiers that left Blair county. The youngest brother, who went out in Co. C, 125th regt., died soon after the battle of Antietam from disease contracted in the service. M.B. Breneman, having returned home after receiving his wound, taught school in McConnellstown, Huntingdon county, the following winter, although he was obliged to go about on crutches to attend to his duties. He continued teaching until 1866, when he commenced the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Tobias Harnish, in Alexandria, Huntingdon county. In the fall of 1868 he entered the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1870. Locating at Waterstreet, Huntingdon county, he began practicing his profession. In the spring of 1872 he removed to Dudley, Huntingdon county, where he practiced for seven years with excellent success. He then removed to the growing town of Saxton, his present home. Dr. Breneman is an able and skillful physician and ranks high in his profession. His social standing is above reproach. He has never sought official distinction and has held only local offices. He is a member of the Coalmont Lodge of Odd-Fellows and of the Grand Army Post of Saxton.
Dr. Breneman was married in 1869 to Miss Anna M. Shaffer, daughter of Peter Shaffer, of Waterstreet, Pennsylvania, and is the father of five children, four of whom are living: Paul B., William E., Mary O. (deceased), Myra B. and Albert B.
The first physician who settled in Schellsburg was Dr. Rudhaesel, a German. He died here after a few years' practice. He had a brother who was also a physician. Both were associated in practice for a time.
Afterward Dr. Ray, Dr. Brammel and Dr. Burnett each located here for a short period. In 1837 came Dr. John C. Ealy, whose many years of faithful labor have rendered his name familiar and his presence welcome in hundreds of homes. He read medicine under Dr. William Rankin, a prominent physician of Cumberland county. Dr. Ealy entered upon his professional career at Schellsburg, and has never changed his location. For forty years he traveled by no other mode than horseback. He has frequently attended patients in Somerset and Cambria counties, braving the severest weather and trayersing indescribably bad roads in the performance of his duties. He is vigorous and active for a man of his years and his practice is still large. For a more extended notice of Dr. Ealy see history of Schellsburg.
Dr. Frank M. Marbourg is a native of Johnstown. He studied medicine in Bedford under Dr. William Watson and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1863 he located in Schellsburg. His practice is both extensive and successful. Dr. W.P. Whitmore, a graduate of a Baltimore medical college, located in Schellshurg in 1881 and is now practicing here.
Dr. D.A. Plank was born in Cumberland county and attended Juniata College, Tuscamora, Pennsylvania. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 7th Penn. reserves. He was wounded with the loss of a finger at the first battle of Bull Run, and was honorably discharged on account of his wound in August, 1861. He afterward spent six months with the army as a photographer. In 1864-5 he attended the Jefferson Medical College, graduating therefrom in 1865. He then located at St. Clairsville, where he has since practiced with good success. He is the only practicing physician in the town.
Dr. Samuel H. Smith came to Woodberry in 1834, and for years was the only physician in the northern part of Bedford county. His early practice extended over a large portion of the present counties of Blair and Huntingdon. Everett, Bedford and Schellsburg on the south and Martinsburg and Newry on the north were the nearest points where other doctors were located. Dr. Smith was born in Juniata county in 1811, and studied medicine in that county and at the Jefferson Medical College. Dr. Smith is an esteemed member of his profession. Though now nominally retired from practice, he still attends patients occasionally.
Dr. Charles S. Oellig came to Woodberry, where he still practices, in 1841. Dr. Oellig is a native of Franklin county, and studied medicine in Waynesboro. After practicing there two years he removed to Bedford county. Many other physicians have practiced in Woodberry for short periods. The present practitioners are Dr. Smith, Dr. Oellig, Dr. Ralph C. Klepser, Dr. C.W. Fox and. Dr. Cornog.
AMERICUS ENFIELD, M.D.
Dr. Enfield was born near the town of Salisbury, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, April 7, 1847, of poor, Christian parents. His great-grandfathers were revolutionary soldiers: On his paternal side he is descended from German parentage, as the name indicates, and on his maternal side is of Irish descent. His maternal grandfather was a descendant of the same family of which William Findley, once governor of this state and treasurer of the United States mints, was a member.
The doctor is a self-made man. He did not receive any educational advantages until after his twelfth year, owing to the fact that at that time no schools existed in the vicinity, and his parents were too humble in life to send him away to school, but he learned to read and write under his first tutor, his mother. About this time he went to live with his maternal uncle, the Hon. Hiram Findley, who for many years was a prominent politician, and a member of the state senate. After he entered the free schools he made rapid progress, his uncle's library affording him means of reading many choice works of history and biography. Among his uncle's library was an old copy of Carpenter's Human Physiology, which he read and reread. To this book he is no doubt indebted for belonging to the profession in which he is now engaged. His uncle was anxious to have him prepare himself for the legal profession, but his young mind was ever bent upon knowing more about the anatomy and physiology of man, and he determined within himself to make the science of medicine his profession. But while he was reading and teaching school, that he might acquire funds to complete his education, the war of the rebellion broke out, and, fired with patriotism, he joined the Ringgold battalion of cavalry, the first regiment of cavalry that left Western Pennsylvania. After several years of active service in the field, he was placed upon detached duty at Harewood United States Hospital, near Washington, D.C., In charge of the medical department, where he remained until the fall of 1865, when he was honorably discharged, and returned to his old home. Shortly afterward he entered Mercersburg College, Pennsylvania, in order to acquire a more comprehensive knowledge of Greek and Latin, which he found the necessity of in prosecuting his medical studies. His teacher in languages, while there, was the noted linguist and theologian Dr. E.E. Higbee, the present efficient superintendent of the schools of the state. After spending several years at college he went to Cumberland, Maryland, and entered the office of that eminent physician and surgeon Dr. G.B. Fundenberg, now of Pittsburgh. He attended medical lectures at that celebrated school Bellevue Hospital Medical College. He first opened an office in Cumberland, Maryland, where he soon took an advanced position among his professional brethren, but the profession being overcrowded by older physicians, he removed to Flintstone, in the same state, where he speedily acquired a large practice, by reason of his successful treatment of an epidemic of typho-malarial fever, which prevailed in a very malignant form there at that time, he having gained much knowledge of the pathology of the disease while in the army, and was thus enabled to treat it very intelligently. Of some two hundred cases which came into his hands, only a few proved fatal. In 1872 he moved to Clearville, Bedford county, where he had an extensive and lucrative practice up to 1882, when he was elected sheriff of this county by a large majority over a popular competitor, who was a member of the bar and ex-prothonotary of the county.
The doctor now resides in the county seat, Bedford, where he is quietly engaged in the practice of his profession, as well as attending to the duties of his office. In his profession he is paying special attention to surgery. In politics he is a democrat, and is descended from a long line of democratic ancestors. He has been prominent and active in political matters in the county and state. In 1876 he was tendered the nomination for state senator, but declined the honor. In 1871 he was married to Miss Rebecca, daughter of Dr. I.G. Bruckman, of Salisbury, Pennsylvania; Five children have been born to them-three boys and two girls. In faith the Doctor is a member of the Reformed church. His wife is a Lutheran.
DR. S.H GUMP.
Dr. S.H. Gump, an able representative of the medical profession in Bedford, was born at Rainsburg, Bedford county, December 12, 1841 His parents, Hon. G.W. and Sophia (Stuckey) Gump, were both natives of this county. The grandfather of Dr. Gump was John Gump, who came to Rainsburg from Frederick county Maryland. He was among the earliest settler in the town of Rainsburg, where he died at the age of eighty-six years.
Dr. Gump passed his boyhood on a farm. When he was six years old his parents moved to Cumberland, Maryland, where they remained until 1854. The subject of this sketch received his common-school education in Cumberland. After the return of the family to Bedford county he qualified himself for teaching, and engage in that employment in 1859, 1860 and 1861. Subsequently he attended school, for two years at Williamsport, Pennsylvania. In 1865 he began the study of medicine at Bedford under the tuition of Dr. William H. Watson. He attended the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia during the sessions of 1868-9 and 1869-70, graduating there from March 12, 1870.
He at once began practice with Dr. William Watson, son of his preceptor, and continued in partnership with him until the death of Dr. Watson, March 10, 1879. The beginning of his practice was attended with success, and instead of having to wait for patients, as not infrequently falls to the lot of young physicians, Dr. Gump soon found a sufficiency and oftentimes a superabundance of work awaiting him. Devoted to his profession, conscientious and faithful in the discharge of his duties, he has earned and gained a well-merited prominence among the physicians of Bedford county. Dr. Gump was chosen physician to the county almshouse in 1870, succeeding Dr. Reamer, and held the position several years. Since 1873 he has been surgeon for the Bedford division of the Pennsylvania railroad.
GEORGE WOODS ANDERSON, M.D.
This prominent practitioner was born in Bedford, Pennsylvania, June 27, 1808. He was the eldest son of Dr. John Anderson, who for so many years was one of Bedford's eminent physicians. His mother, née Mary Espy, was a daughter of Capt. David Espy (who was the second prothonotary of Bedford county, having succeeded Gen. Arthur St. Clair) and granddaughter of George Woods, Esq., one of the first justices of our lord the king George III. Dr. George, as he was familiarly known, received his education at the old brick academy at Bedford and the Dickinson College at Carlisle. In 1826 he went into the office of the elder Dr. Watson. Completing his medical education at the University of Pennsylvania, he practiced medicine for many years in Bedford, but after a time was obliged to devote his time to the management of his estate. In middle age he married Miss Caroline Morsell, of Prince George's county, Maryland, who died in 1860.
Two sons were the offspring of this union. Dr. Anderson was the last survivor of his family of his own generation, and "a worthy representative of a worthy line." He was a most excellent type of the old-time gentleman, always courteous and considerate of the feelings of others. As a friend no one was more steadfast and true, and nothing could alienate him from those he believed worthy. In his dealings he was scrupulously honest and his liberality was proverbial. He was a man of magnificent physique and fine presence, and, although not a large man, was possessed of remarkable strength. Excepting to his intimate friends, he was uniformly reticent, but he had a warm, sympathetic heart, and those who saw him only on the surface little suspected the deep undercurrent of kind feeling, warm attachment and general solicitude which were the salient points in his character.
He died June 20, 1879, having nearly attained his seventy-first year, and was buried in the Bedford cemetery.
Francis Bailey Barclay is a name endeared to the hearts of a large number of the older citizens of Bedford county. Endowed by nature with a brilliant intellect, he gained by study and research such culture and knowledge as won the admiration and respect of all with whom he came in contact. An obituary notice written by one who knew him intimately * says: "While in his profession he deservedly ranked with the brightest names of our land, his mind was a treasure-house of classical and general literature. In his career as a physician he evinced a thorough knowledge of his profession, combined with the most profound judgment and skill, and when, added to this, his was a nature ever overflowing with sympathy and kindness, it is not strange that his admirers and friends were legion."
Dr. Francis B. Barclay was the son of Hugh and Hetty (Fulton) Barclay. He was born in Bedford, March 29, 1797. He was educated at the Bedford Academy, under its learned president, Rev. James R. Wilson. After commencing the study of medicine under the eminent Dr. William Watson, of Bedford, he was induced by reason of poor health to seek a milder climate. He studied two years at the Baltimore Hospital and attended lectures at the University of Maryland, from which institution he received the degree of doctor of medicine in the spring of 1818. In the fall of 1818 he commenced the practice of medicine in Columbus, Ohio, afterward removing to Cadron, Arkansas. His health becoming impaired by severe attacks of fever, he returned to his native place, and in 1821 began practicing medicine in Bedford. His talents and skill soon placed him among the foremost medical practitioners of his day, and during the thirty years of his practice in Bedford he constantly rose in the esteem of the people, gaining such popularity as rarely falls to the lot of one in his profession. Free-hearted, sympathetic and generous by nature, he was admirably fitted for tile life of a medical adviser. Prompt to respond to the call of duty and ardently devoted to his work, his usefulness was great and his success well merited. He died July 12, 1851.
Dr. Barclay was married September 30, 1823, to Miss Camilla B. Bonnett, whose father was a man of great prominence among the citizens of Bedford of that day. The children of this union were Josiah E. (deceased), Hester A. (deceased), William W., Samuel M. (deceased), John J., Richard D., Emma F. and Mary F.
* Dr. Charles N. Hickok.
SOURCE: Page(s) 236-241, History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project