County Agricultural Society Statistics
Agricultural Society Organized In 1875 Purchase of Grounds A Successful Management Chief Officers to Date Statistics Votes for Gubernatorial Candidates Population Tabular Statement for the Year 1883. Bedford County
COUNTY AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY.
Bedford society of the present day was incorporated by a decree of court on the 26th day of April, 1875. On January 3, 1876, its members purchased fifteen acres and one hundred and fifty-three perches of land, situated just west of the borough of county agricultura1 , from Mrs. Sophia E. Sproat and John S. Sproat, for the sum of five thousand one hundred and eighty-five dollars and seventy-seven cents. Fairs have been held each year since an organization was effected. Evidently they have been successfully managed, for the association started with a debt of about seven thousand five hundred dollars, which has been reduced to less than fifteen hundred dollars. Bedford
The chief officers of the society have been as follows: 1875, J.B. Williams, president ; John S. Mower, secretary, 1876, J.B. Williams, president; John S. Mower, secretary; T. M. Lynch, treasurer. 1877, J.B. Williams, president; Humphrey D. Tate, secretary; T.M. Lynch, treasurer. 1878, William Keyser, president; H.O. Kline, secretary ; T.M. Lynch, treasurer. 1879, Dr. E.J. Miller, president; H.O. Kline, secretary; Job M. Shoemaker, treasurer. 1880, Dr. E.J. Miller, president; H.O. Kline, secretary; William C. Smith, treasurer. 1881, Daniel Cessna, president; Josiah Amos, secretary; Robert C. McNamara, treasurer. 1882, William Hartley, president; Josiah Amos, secretary; Robert C. McNamara, treasurer. 1883, William Hartley, president; Josiah Amos secretary, and Robert C. McNamara, treasurer.
Since and including the year 1841, the votes polled in the
, for candidates for the office of governor of the commonwealth, have been as follows: countyof Bedford
By the erection of
Fultoncounty, in 1850, was reduced to its present proportions, and its inhabitants to 23,052 in number. During the three succeeding decades the population of the county has been enumerated by townships and boroughs, as follows: ( Bedford formed part of Woodberry township until 1876. East and West St. Clair townships formed St. Clair until 1875, and together contained 2,173 inhabitants in 1860, and 2,219 in 1870. King township was part of Bloomfield Unionuntil 1876. Mann township was erected from Southamptonin 1876. Middle Woodberry, now known as Woodberry township) and South Woodberrytownships and Woodberry borough were enumerated together in 1860, and contained 1,900 inhabitants.
SOURCE: Page(s) 229-231, History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project