The Bedford County Courthouse was built in 1828-1829. Solomon Filler was the architect and builder of the courthouse. The courthouse is the oldest in building in Pennsylvania that has been used as a courthouse. The total cost to build the courthouse in 1828 was $7,500. In 1876, the county commissioners made an addition to the courthouse by adding two large vaults in the rear for the Prothonotary and Recorder on the first floor. A grand jury room and petit jury room were also added on the second floor . The classic courtroom is small and has portraits of all the judges who have presided there. Its unsupported circular stairway is just one of the architectural highlights of this building.
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project