Fulton County Established
REV. WILLIAM J. LOWE
PRIOR TO 1850 what is now Fulton county was part of Bedford county and the county seat of this whole area was in Bedford, located in the western part of this large territory. Persons living in the eastern part of the county having business at the county seat were compelled to travel a great distance, some as far as fifty miles. Such distances over dirt roads with a horse and carriage was no easy trip. This was one of the reasons for the agitation of the question of dividing the county, so a petition was made to the Legislature to create a new county out of the eastern part of Bedford county.
Fulton County was created by an act of the Pennsylvania Assembly, approved April 19, 1850. At the time of the passage of the act, Bedford County, from which Fulton County was taken, was represented in the lower house by John Cessna and Samuel Robinson, the latter a citizen of Ayr township. Mr. Cessna antagonized the measure, while Mr. Robinson earnestly favored it and by his untiring zeal and personal efforts secured the passage of the measure through the House of Representatives. The proposed name for the new county was "Liberty" but when the bill for the new county came to the Senate, it was found that that body was unfavorable to the creation of any more counties in the State, and the measure had little chance of passage. There were two Senators, Williarn F. Packer of Lycoming county and Charles Frailey of Schuylkill county who were old personal friends of John Pott, a citizen of Ayr township. These Senators were opposed to the bill. Mr. Pott who was enthusiastic for the new county, went to Harrisburg and made a personal appeal to his friends and won them over to support the bill for the new county, but Senator Packer requested the privilege of naming the county, which was accorded him. When the bill came up for consideration in the Senate, Messrs. Packer and Frailey moved "to amend the bill by striking out the word "Liberty" and inserting in lieu thereof the word "FULTON" which was agreed to and the bill passed. Thus through the efforts of Mr. Pott and Representative Robinson, who were ably assisted by many other citizens of what is now Fulton County, this movement was successfully carried through. The name Fulton was given in honor of Robert Fulton, a native of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the inventor of the steamboat.
The following is an interesting quotation from the 26 Section of the act;
"An act erecting parts of Bedford County into a new county to be called “Fulton” it is among other things declared and provided that the citizens of the said County of Fulton shall before the first day of September 1850 raise by voluntary subscription, at least eight thousand dollars toward the purchase of lots, the erection of public buildings and the payment of the tax required by the State upon this act,"
In the 25 Section of the act it was provided
that the commissioners in the said act
named, "Are authorized to receive subscriptions
in money and materials towards defraying
the expenses of purchasing lots and
erecting the public buildings of the said county:
Provided however, that they shall locate
it at the place which shall pay or secure to
be paid the most money towards the erection
of the public buildings."
The Commissioners Henry Sipes, James
Hughes and Frederick Dubbs appointed the
following to secure the subscriptions; James
Agnew, Thomas Greathead, W. S. Fletcher,
Henry Hoke, John W. Bohn, S. E. Duffield,
Jacob Stoner, Mark Dickson, James King,
David Fore, William Keyser, Jacob Cook,
Present Court House -Built 1852
James Kendall, F. W. McNaughton, Thomas
Logan, Daniel Logan and John Kittle.
The inhabitants of McConnellsburg and
vicinity pledged the sum of $13,000 and thus
succeeded in securing the county seat.
The Court House which was completed
in 1852 cost a little over $6000.00, is a fine
brick structure and in architectural design
considered by many one of the finest in the
state, surpassing similar buildings in many
wealthier and larger counties. Until the
completion of the new court house, the first
sessions of the court were held in the
"White Church". This old building had
been erected in 1827 as a union church and
was used by several denominations. It was
located on south Second Street on the lot
of ground now occupied by the residence
of L. W. Seylar.
Soon after the organization of the county,
newspapers were established, the first number
of The Fulton Democrat being issued
September 20, 1850. The Fulton Republican
issued its first number, January 17, 1851
and later the Fulton County News was established
in September 1899.
The Civil War days brot many hardships,
for Fulton county was a border county and
many Confederate raiding parties came into
the county to take horses, cattle and provisions.
Out of a population of less than 9000,
more than 845 men entered the service. Two
events during the war were of more than
passing interest; the first being the Cavalry
battle which took place on the main street
of McConnellsburg on the morning of June
30, 1863 when a scouting party of Imboden's
Cavalry enterd the town, coming over
Tuscarora mountain by the Mercersburg road.
Capt. Jones with a company of 1st New
York Cavalry had entered the town a few
hours before the Confederates coming from
Everett and had stopped at the Fulton House
for breakfast. On receiving word that the
Confederates were coming, Capt. Jones and
his company retired to the western end of
the town and concealed themselves hoping
to draw the Confederates down into the
town and when the enemy had come as far
as the Fulton House, they became suspicious
and started to turn back, but Capt. Jones and
his men charged them and a running fight
took place and 32 men and 33 horses were
captured by the Union force and two Confederates,
W. B. Moore of Virginia and F.
A. Shelton of North Carolina lost their lives
and were buried near where they fell along
the Mercersburg road. In 1929 a monument
was erected by the Daughters of the
Confederacy of Virginia and North Carolina
marking their graves.
On the afternoon of July 30, 1864, Brigadier
General Bradley T. Johnson led several
thousand Confederate troops into Mc-
Connellsburg, coming from Chambersburg
where they had burned the town that morning.
They set up their camp here for the
night, General Johnson establishing his
headquarters at the J. B. Patterson home
south of McConnellsburg. The following
morning after Gen. Johnson and his staff
had taken breakfast at the Patterson home,
the Confederates broke camp and marched
to Hancock, Md., where they crossed the
Potomac River closely followed by Brigadier
General William A. Averell with more than
a thousand Federal troops. In 1930 a marker
was erected by the Fulton County Historical
Society, the Pdnnsylvania Historical
Commission and the Pittsburgh Chapter of
the Daughters of the Confederacy, near the
Patterson home, marking the "Last Campfire
of the Confederacy North of the Mason and
On September 30, 1886, the Centennial
of the founding of McConnellsburg was
held and the whole county joined-in making
this a long to be remembered event. The
parade that day with its many floats, marching
units and brass bands has been vividly
described down across these fifty years as
the greatest spectacle ever seen in the county.
About this time, or from 1885 to 1888
much interest was created in the county because
of the building of the South Penn
Railroad of the Vanderbilt Lines. This road
was to cut across the upper end of the county
and much of the grading was completed
and several tunnels partly constructed when
suddenly the work stopped and has never
been resumed since. In 1915 another attempt
was made to give Fulton county a railroal and
the Fort Loudon and McConnellsburg Railroad
was laid out and much of the work
completed when suddenly the company failed
and another railroad was added to the
scrap heap. But with the coming of the
automobile and improved roads, the mountains
which had been the barrier to the outside
world were conquered and McConnellsburg
suddenly found itself on the greatest
national hbihway of our country: the Lincoln
Highway, the "Main Street" of the nation.
The Spanish American War was responded
to by about, a dozen of our young men
who saw service in Cuba and the Phillipines.
About the year 1900, McConnellsburg was
given one of its greatest improvements when
a water system was installed and within a
short time many of the homes were enjoying
its benefits. The water supply has come
from mountain springs.
During the days of the World War army
truck trains at times would be rolling across
the Lincoln Highway in almost a continuous
un'broken line from the western to the
eastern border of the county and McConnellsbnrg
found itself on the busiest highway
of the nation. With more than' 340 of her
sons in the army and navy and three of her
daughters as army nurses, little Fulton took
its place in world affairs far from the mountains
and valleys of the "Homeland". While
the-young men and women served in army
camps and across seas, those who remained
at home gave time, service and money and
denied themselves in wheatless, meatless and
heatless days. An active countywide Red
Cross contributed freely in money and service
and aside from knitting and sewing,
fed and housed hundreds of truck drivers
and soldiers passing thru the county enroute
to eastern sea ports.
In August 1919, the "Welcome Home"
celebration was given for the returning boys,
all of whom came back but 16. This was a
great day for the county and considered one
of the best and most successful celebrations
of its kind in this part of the state.
In 1920 the Fulton County Fair was started
and.today the Fair Association has a large
and well equipped fair ground and holds anriually
one of the most popular county fairs
in this section of the country, drawing
thousands of visitors from surrounding counties
and neighboring states.
On November 13, 1920, the Memorial to
the Soldiers, Sailors and Nurses from Fulton
County was dedicated, consisting of a beautiful
center square in front of the court
house. a Park Forum adjoining, and four
large bronze tablets on -the front wall of
the county building, containing the names
of all 'who served in the Civil, Spanish-
American and World Wars; more than 1200
names in all. In the dedicatory address of
the late William C. Sproul, then Governor
of Pennsylvania, he said, Fulton county led
the state in erecting a most practical and
One of the most important events in the
history of McConnellsburg and vicinity occurred
on the evening of Nov. 16, 1923
when electric power was turned on and for
the first time streets and houses were brightly
illuminated. This important step in the
life of the community had not come about
in a short space of time, but was the result
of years of effort. The organization of a
local company made up of fifty of the citizens
and the erection of a local power plant
and transmission lines in McConnellsburg,
has given the community an improvement
that did more to give comfort and convenience
than any other thing in the 137 years
Among the societies and organizations in
the county have been, lodges of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows located at
McConnellsburg, Ft. Littleton, Wells Valley,
Harrisonville, Waterfall, Warfordsburg and
Needmore. King Post, No. 365 of the
Grand Army of the Republic has ceased to
exist after having an active organization in
McConnellsburg for many years. Likewise
the Tuscarora Council of the Royal Arcanum
and a lodge of Redmen. Wells Tannery for
sometime had a Castle of the Golden Eagles.
Today there are the lodges of the I. 0. 0. F.
and P. 0. S. of A., a Grange with six locals,
a Red Cross Chapter, American Legion Post,
American Legion Auxiliary, Veterans of
Foreign Wars and a Masonic Club. The Civic
Club of McConnellsburg and vicinity is
a most active organization of women.
Few counties in the state, if any, have as
large a percentage of its roads improved
and hard surfaced as Fulton. A well equipped
and well manned State Highway organization
has its headquarters in McConn*
ellsburg and is giving constant care, summer
and winter to keeping these roads safe and
in good condition. Today with thousands of
automobiles and trucks traveling over the
190 miles of improved roads in the county,
mountains which completely surround the
county and cross and recross its territory,
are no longer barriers from within or from
without. The scenery of the county has
impressed its beauty on travellers from all
parts of the United States and some have
even spoken of this section as the Switzerland
of America. The motorist who crave;
romantic mountain scenery on a majestic
scale can find it aplenty in Fulton county.
In the early days of travel along the road
which has become the Lincoln Highway,
places to stop over night and secure meals
were few and far between and consisted of
stage coach taverns with very limited accomodations
and few comforts. Today the traveller
may find many places. There are lunch
stands, restaurants, road houses, hotels and
private homes offering good meals, and comfortable
accomodations. In McConnellsburg
along the Lincoln Way are four excellent
hotels with all modern conveniences, at
least six good restaurants, a number of rooming
houses, several lunch rooms and drug
stores serving refreshments. The motorist
has at his service at least eight garages and
many filling stations.
Some folks who know naught else about
it seems to think that Fulton county is distinguished
only by the fact that it is the
only county in the state without a railroad.
This is partly true, but for several years
the Reichley Brothers had a number of miles
of railroad track within the county over
which thousands of feet of lumber were
transported. Of the more than 9000 residents
in the county, there ar'e none of foreign
birth, most all of the people being direct
descendants of the Colonial settlers.
There is no county debt, no county poor
house, no asylum and the lowest percentage
in the state on relief.
And now we come to the Sesqui-Centennial
of the founding of McConnellsburg
by Daniel McConnell in 1786 and the Fulton
County Home -Coming. During this
celebration we expect to entertain thousands
of former residents and visitors and may
they find here the true spirit of friendliness
and hospitality for which our people are
THE CENTENNIAL OF 1886
Two score and ten have not seemed long
Sincepeople stood beside the lines
To see a great parade go by ---Centennials
are keepers of the times.
Some came on foot, some oxen-drawn,
From every road they filled the town,
Each township showing at its best
While they were marching up and down.
Brave Captain Skinner, Fulton's pride,
Came riding on his steed of gray,
Leading Ayr's great delegation
On that bright September day.
Now the rosy-cheeked cake baker,
Who long ago was laid away;
Through the years we still remember
Lou throwing cakes and smiles that day.
Now a dame with hair of silver
Making olden times more real,
While she turned with busy fingers
That quaint old spinning wheel.
Now a mammoth four-wheeled engine
With a whistle that did scream,
Rolling by with bands aplaying
In its cloud of smoke and steam.
Now a cage with bars of iron
Sylvester Woolet drove with care,
In a great fur robe reclining,
Sammy Goldsmith played the bear.
Then at night a happy people
-Homeward wended back their way;
May this next be likened to it
Not one thing to mar each day.
(Dedicated to D. Hunter Patterson,
Here is one who, passing ninety,
Is a sponsor of our plan,
Whose life has brightened many shadows-
Hunter is Fulton's Grand Old Man.
This poem was written for the Sesqui-Ceniennial Program by Mr. William
S. Clevenger of McConnellsburg. As a boy of ten, he stood on the street corner
and watched the passing of the great Centennial Parade, September 30, 1886.
May the memory of his words linger with us; and in turn our lips tell -them to
our sons, and they again to theirs; and generations yet unborn repeat them to
Religious History of Fulton County
REV. WILLIAM J. LOWE
HEN THE early settlers advanced
into the frontier country, as soon as
clearings were made in forests, log
houses built and fields planted, they
turned to the erection of Churches
and schools. In many places, these
two were one and the same building and the
Minister was also the school teacher.
The first settlement in what is now Fulton4
county was undobtedly made in the
lower'part of the county, not far from the
Potomac river. These early pioneers came
up the river to where the Tonoloway Creek
enters the river and then followed this water
course to their chosen place for making a
home, which later became known as the settlement
at the Conalloways. Here already
in 1752 a place of worship was erected as
stated in the following, taken from, "The
History of the Baptists in Pennsylvania";
"This is the tenth and youngest church
in the province among the British Baptists
who observe the first day of the week
for Sabbath. It takes its distinction from
Konoloway River nigh to which the meeting
house stands in Air township, Cumberland
The place of worship is 22 ft. by 18, ft.,
erected in the year 1752 on a lot of 50
acres, towards the purchasing of which,
the Association of Philadelphia contributed
12 L. 6,1 in 1767. With this little
glebe the living is worth about 30 L. a
year to the present Minister, who is Rev.
Joseph Powell. He was born at Pennepek
in the county of Philadelphia, March 6,
1734, had his education at Hopewell
where also he was ordained in 1764, and
henceforth became Minister at Konoloway.
He married Rachel Rose of New
Jersey by whom he has children, Mary,
Tonoloway Baptist Church Built 1829
Eleanor and Anna. The families belonging
to the place are about 40 whereof 30
persons are baptised and in the communion
of the Church. (This was their state
The second building was erected about
----and in 1829 the large brick structure
that continues to be used was erected. During
the Civil War this building was used as
The next oldest settlement was made in
the Great Cove in what is now Ayr township,
Fulton county. Here as late as 1755
'Inoian raids and massacres made it impossible
for the daring pioneers from across the
iuscarora to establish themselves. Between
1760 and 1770 the Scotch Irish took possession
of the Cove and already in 1769 began
to petition the Presbytery or itonegal
"To the Revd. Presbitery of Dunigall that
is to meet at Rocky Spring the I an inst.
The humble supplication of the Inhabitants
of the Great Cove Humbly Sheweth. lhat
we cannot Enough Lament Our Deplorable
Condition for want of Publick Ordinances;
we have not had one supply almost these
Six Months & we know not what to do; we
are well acquaint with the Revd. John Black
and know that it was not for the Lucre ot
gain that Caus'd him to take so much pains
to Qualify himself for the Ministry for he
might made more another way; but it was
to Serve God and the Souls of Men. Therefore
we have Joined Unanimously to Call
& Invite him for God's Sake to come and
take the Care of Our Souls Upon him for
we are in a perishing Condition & almost
We have sent Our Trusty & well Beloved
friend James Galloway to attend the Revd.
Presbetery, and Show Our Subscriptions, and
act, and do for us as though we were all
present-We Cast ourselves on your Care
with our Sincere prayers that the Almighty
God the father of our Lord Jesus Christ may
Direct you for his Glory and the good of his
Among the forty-one names signed to this
petition were: David Scott, Daniel McConnell,
Alexander Queery, James Galloway,
John McKinley, Edward Head, Byran Coyle,
James Cuningham, Francis Patterson, John
Cunningham, James Liddle, James Alexander,
James Gibson, Wm. Alexander, Richard
The first house of worship erected by this
group of Presbyterians was about two miles
southward of where McConnellsburg now
stands, on land lately known as the Jacob
Hykes farm. All trace of the church, has
long since disappeared but the old burial
ground still remains. (In this old cemetery
Daniel McConnell, the founder of McConnellsburg,
was buried in 1802.) When the
old log church was built cannot be determ
ined, but it was sometime prior to the Revolution.
Before the church was erected, services
were held in private homes, especially
that of John Dickey, for many years an
Associate Judge of Bedford county.
On January 9, 1799, Daniel McConnell
and Mary his wife issued the deed for the
ground where the Presbyterian Church now
stands in McConnellsburg. This deed was
made out "to John Dickey, Joseph Bell, John
Davis, John McClean, and Chas. Taggart,
trustees for the Presbyterian meeting house
in McConnellsburg." In 1811 this congregation
erected a house of worship on this
plot of ground in McConnellsburg which
was used until the present large and commodious
building was erected in 1868.
No doubt the third oldest church organization
in the county is the Sideling Hill
Baptist congregation which was founded in
1780 and erected its first house of worship
in 1782. This first building which was a
log structure was replaced with a frame
building in 1826 and in 1871 the present
frame structure was erected.
From this point on, the history of the
churches in McConnellsburg and the townships
will be given, but it will be noted
that 'because of lack of records, it is impossible
to give the dates of organization
or the building of a number of the churches.
St. Paul's Lutheran congregation erected
the first church building in McConnellsburg,
a small log structure in 1801. This building
was afterwards weatherboarded and painted
red. The present brick structure was
erected in 1848. The deed for the ground
on which these buildings were erected was
given by Daniel McConnell and Mary his
wife, May 8, 1798 to Vandle Ott, Philip
Coleman and Geo. Humbert, trustees of the
Daniel McConnell-and his wife, Mary,
gave a deed for two lots in McConnellsburg
to Lorance Bulger and Daniel Bloom, trustees
of the German Reformed or Presby
terian congregation, May 26, 1798. Rev.
John Conrad Bucher, who served as a Captain
in the "Bouquet Expedition" to Forts
Bedford and Pitt and later as a Chaplain
in the Revolution, from 1765 to 1771 was
an itinerant preacher of the German Reformed
Church and rode over a parish extending
from Carlisle to Ligonier, preaching
at many places in Franklin and Bedford
counties. He was undoubtedly the first
trans-Allegheny Minister to preach in the
German language and it may be certain that
enroute through McConnellsburg, he visited
and preached to the German Reformed people.
For some years prior to 1830, the Reformed
and Lutheran people worshipped together,
Rev. J. F. Diffenbacher of the Reformed
Church at Mercersburg preaching for
both groups in the Lutheran church in Mc-
Connellsburg. In 1834 the Reformed congregation
organized and called their first
Minister and began holding services in the
"White Church" which had been built as a
union church in 1827. This building, was
used until 1895 when the present attractive
house of worship was dedicated as St. Paul's
The date of the organization of the Methodist
Episcopal Church of McConnellsburg
is unknown, but a house of worship was
built on north second street in 1843. In
1870 a brick church was erected on the
"Square" and then in 1924 the present fine
modern structure was erected on the same
The United Presbyterian congregation is a
union of the Associated Reformed and the
Seceders of the Cove. At a very early date,
probably cotemporaneously with the Presbyterians,
the Covenanters (Reformed Presbyterians)
and the Seceders (Associated Presbyterians)
established organizations in the
Cove. These two branches united into, the
Associated Reformed Church and in 1829
built a substantial stone church building niear
Webster Mills. In 1858 the United Presbyterian
Denomination was organized -and continued
to worship in the -stone church until
1886 when they built their church -in Mc-
Connellsburg. A small group however. of
the original Seceders declined to join. with
the U. P. group and these built a frame
church building in 1879 where the Union
Cemetery was later established. This group
united with the McConnellsburg U. P. congregation
about 1921 and their church building
is now the property of the Union Cemetery
Association and used as a funeral chapel.
In 1914 the Presbyterian congregation of
McConnellsburg joined with St. Paul's Reformed
congregation in forming The Federated
Church of McConnellsburg which organization
has continued ever since under
the care of one Minster, but continuing to
use both church buildings, alternating the
The churches of Ayr township include
The Hebron Reformed Church which was
organized in Hauger's school house in 1843
in what is known as "The Corner". The
building was erected in 1844 and continued
in use until 1918 when its membership was
transferred to the Reformed church in Mc-
Connellsburg. In 1934 the building was sold
to the Church of the Brethren who continue
to use it as a place of worship.
In 1849 the Lutheran congregation of Big
Cove Tannery was organized and worshipped
in the school house until 1871 when the
building still used by the congregation was
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Cito
was organized about 1900 and erected their
church building in 1911.
Just north of Cito is located the church
building of the African Methodist Episcopal
The first church building erected in Todd
township was that of the Nazareth Reformed
Church at Knobsville. The organization
was formed in a meeting at Fore's school
house, Feb. 6, 1843 and the following year
the church erected and used by the Reformed
people and others until about 1916 when
it was removed.
The church at Knobsville is the Methodist
Episcopal which for a number of years has
been serving the whole community.
For some years the Church of the Brethren
had a place of worship a few miles north
of McConnellsburg, but because of the removal
of its members from the county, it
was moved about ten years ago.
Several miles west of McConnellsburg is
the Bethlehem U. B. Church which has served
the people of the community across the
Ridge for a number of years.
The churches of Belfast township are the
Sideling Hill Baptist mentioned at the beginning
of this article and the Fairview Baptist
Church at Needmore, erected in 1871.
There is also a Methodist Episcopal Church
in Needmore. The Pleasant Ridge Brethren
Church was erected in 1877. There are also
the Pleasant Grove Christian Church and the
Ebenezer M. E. Church.
The churches of Bethel township are the
Presbyterian and the M. E. Churches of Warfordsburg,
both buildings being erected in
1858. Other churches in the township are
the Cedar Grove Christian, the Black Oak
M. E., the May's Chapel Christian, Bedford
Chapel and Hill's Chapel.
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Burnt
Cabins in Dublin township was organized
in 1835 and erected their house of worship
in 1840. The Burnt Cabins Presbyterian
Church was organized in 1851 and built the
church they are still using in the same year.
The M. E. Church at Ft. Littleton was organized
about 1816 and erected its first house
of worship some distance from the town
where the cemetery is still located. Later
they erected a church building in the village.
There is also a M. E. Church at Clear Ridge
and a Dunkard Church in the-lower end of
In Brush Creek township the M. E. congregation
was organized in 1812 and worshipped
for some years on the second floor
of Aker's Mill and later in the school house.
In 1858 the present building was erected at
The McKendree M. E. Church, named in
honor of Bishop McKendree was built in
1825 and it is said that the Bishop was ptesent
for the dedication. This log structure
was replaced with the present brick building
In the lower end of the township are two
Christian churches, one known as the "Whips
Cove" church and the other as the Jerusalem
Licking Creek township has several
churches that this year celebrate their centennial.
The Asbury M. E. Church, named
in honor of Bishop Asbury, was organized
in 1836. In 1839 a plot of ground was purchased
at Green Hill and the stone church
still in use, was erected.
The Green Hill Presbyterian Church was
organized Sept. 12, 1835 and the following
year began the erection of their house of
worship, which still stands, a well kept white
frame building. The congregation because
of death and removal of members has ceased
to exist, but the church property and the
cemetery are well cared for by an incorporated
association of descendants of former
members and friends.
The Sideling Hill Christian Church is the
third of the organizations started in 1836
and the present building has been in use
since its erection in that year.
Ihe Siloam M. E. Church is also located
in this township and has its place of worship
along the Licking Creek just south of Harrisonville.
Taylor township is well supplied with
churches, there having been at least eight.
The Zion M. E. Church at Waterfall was
organized in 1843 in the school house and
the building which is still used by the congregation
was erected in 1844.
The date of the organization of the Hustontown
M. E. Church is unknown, but the
first house of worship was erected in 1851.
For some years the United Brethren had
a Lhurch organization in Hustontown, but
several years ago the church building was
sold and converted into dwelling houses.
The M. E. Church at Dublin Mills was
erected in 1883.
Other churches in the township are the
Center M. E., the Fairview M. E., the Mt.
Tabor U. B. and the Pentecostal tabernacle.
As noted in the beginning of this article,
the first church organization in the county
was the Tonoloway Baptist Church in the
lower end of Thompson township. Other
churches in the township are, the Damascus
Christian, the Rehobeth M. E., the Oakley
M. E., the Antioch Christian and the Mt.
Zion M. E.
In Union township the Presbyterian
Church was first organized in 1849 and a
house of worship erected in 1866. This organization
ceased to exist some years ago
and the building has been used as a community
Other churches in the township are, the
Buck Valley M. E., the Buck Valley Christian,
the Buck Valley Brethren, the Missouri
Lutheran and the Church of the Latter Day
Among the first families to settle in Wells
Valley about 1790, were a number of Methodists.
They organized about 1800 with class
meetings and in 1818 built the first church
building in the Valley, a simple log structure
which was used until 1828 when a larger
and better building was erected.
The Wells Valley Presbyterian Church
was organized at an early date and consisted
largely of descendants of Alexander Alexander,
known as "Double Alick", who was
believed to be the first permanent settler of
the Valley in 1772. For many years he was
an Elder of the Presbyterian Church of Mc-
Connellsburg and a regular attendant at the
services riding horse back over the 19 miles
one way. The first house of worship of this
congregation was erected prior to 1834 and
about 1900 the present church building was
erected in Wells Tannery.
Other churches in the township are, the
Pine Grove M. E. Church, organized in 1870
and built in 1881. The Church of God at
New Grenada, was organized in 1847 and
its house of worship built in 1861. The U.
B. Church was organized in 1850 and its
place of worship erected in 1853.
The people of Fulton County have always
given the Church and the practice of
their religious duties an important place in
their lives. With 60 churches for a population
of a little more than 9000 people in the
county, we would say today, that the county
is over-churched, but when we take into
consideration, that many of these churches
date back for 75 and 100 or more years,
we must admire their faith. In those days
there were only dirt roads and many of
these but rough mountain trails, travel was
slow and tiresome and every community
feeling the need of a place of worship, built
its church. Today with hard surfaced roads
and automobiles, many of these church organizations
could be combined into stronger
and better churches. An interesting feature
of the religious life of the county is, that
every one of these churches is Protestant.
With a population composed of native born
and with no residents in the county of the
Roman Catholic or Jewish faiths, there has
never been a need for any but Protestant
churches in the county.
It has often been said, that in proportion
to the population more young people have
entered the Christian Ministry and the Mission
fields from Fulton county than from
any other county in the state. From some
of the congregations of the county, as many
as five of the members have given themselves
in full time Christian service at home and
Fulton County Schools
PROF. B. C. LAMBERSON
HOUGH NO official record is available,
there is evidence that schools
existed in parts of what is now Fulton
County, prior to the adoption
of the present school system in
One of the earliest of these schools was
along the southern border and is thought
by some to have been located in what is now
part of Maryland. This school existed about
1770. As early as 1777 a school was opened
in Ayr township at Big Spring on lands oi
Benjamin Stevens, about four miles south
of McConnellsburg, Pa., on farm now owned
by Daniel Knauff. Another school was
opened in 1780, about one half mile south
of McConnellsburg. From then to the present
time schools have been in operation in
what is known as Big Cove. At the time
this article is written Ayr township maintains
nine one-room schools in which the
elementary pupils receive instruction. Those
students who graduate from the elementary
course and who so desire, continue their
education by attending high school at Mc-
In Belfast township, then including Licking
Creek, a German school was taught about
the year 1790. In 1792 an English school
was opened by a teacher named Henry Strait.
Shortly afterwards a school was opened near
the old Bedford road, now the Lincoln
Highway. These schools were all located
along the base of Sideling Hill mountain.
Along the old turn-pike which was built
1817 to 1825, children were taught by travellers,
mostly foreigners, who tramped the
Belfast township now has a fine consoli
dated elementary school housed in a modern
brick building located near Needmore. This
building has six rooms and a fine auditorium.
There are four teachers employed at present.
The high school students from the
district mostly attend at Warfordsburg.
In what is now Wells township, then a
part of Hopewell township, a school was
opened some time prior to 1790. It was
located just east of a residence formerly occupied
by W. L. Moseby, near an old graveyard.
In 1803 another building was erected
and used as a school near where Thomas
Griffith formerly resided. In 1806, a deserted
dwelling near Wells Tannery, was used
for school purposes. In 1835, two schoolhouses
were erected in Wells Valley, one
at Gibson's, called No. 1, and one at Bivens',
called No. 3. These buildings were considered
as being grand for the time though
each cost less than $100.00. Later an old
log house near the Valley Methodist Church
was used as a school and was known as
No. 2. In 1846 the citizens of the lower
end of the valley joined with the directors
and erected a small house near New Grenada.
This school was and is known as No.
4. In the summer of, 1904, Wells township
had the distinction of establishing the firsc
Township High School in the county. The
school was established under much difficulty
and opposition. The first two buildings
erected during the summer were burned before
they were completed. Not to be out-done
in what they felt to be a proper move, the
directors erected a third building and the
school was opened at the beginning of the
term. Out of this school came some very
fine material. Because of small attendance
and failure of recognition upon the part of
the Department at Harrisburg, the school
was discontinued in 1910, being again converted
into an elementary school. Wells
township at the present time conducts twoone-
room schools and one two-room school,
all elementary. High school students from
this district are transported to Taylor township
and to the Smith school in Bedford
About 1800, the first school of record was
opened in McConnellsburg, in a mere hut
located on the commons of the town. It is
thought that this building stood near the
rear of.the Presbyterian Cemetery. In 1798
land was conveyed to the supporters of the
English School, which would indicate that
there may have been both English and German
schools in existence at that time. The
land was conveyed by the McConnells, and
is known as lot No. 60 just north of the
A few years later another house, a frame
building, was used as a school until about
1820 when a stone building was erected.
The frame building referred to was located
at or near the rear of the present Reformed
The stone building erected in 1820 was
located near or beside the Presbyterian
Church. Some time after its erection a second
story was added to the stone building
and both stories were used for schools and
as a place for town meetings. This building
was used until 1862 when a two-story brick
building was erected. This latter building
Second McConnellsburg PublicSchool
stood on the south side of what is now
Memorial Park adjoining the Court House.
Evidences of the foundation may yet be seen.
This building was so poorly constructed that
it was necessary to have it propped by means
of heavy logs in order to keep it from falling
In 1881 the board of directors bought a
lot of ground from F. B. Sipes, situated
just north of the County Jail, now occupied
by the Spangler Garage, upon which a
one-story frame, three-room building was
erected in 1882. This building was used for
the elementary schools until the close of
1907. Immediately upon the closing of
school in that year this frame building was
razed and the foundation work was begun
for a two story brick building which was
completed in 1908. This building at the time
was considered very modern. There were
four class rooms upon the first floor, and a
large auditorium upon the second floor. Into
this building were moved the elementary
classes and the high school. About 8:30 o'clock
A. M. March 23, 1922 this building
was destroyed by fire. For the remainder of
the term the schols were housed in churches
and in the court house. In 1922 six acres
of land was purchased from John B. Runyan
on the south side of the borough and a new
eight room brick building was erected in
which school was opened in the spring of
1923. This with many substantial improve
ments is now the location of the brough
In 1933 the borough took advantage of
the opportunity offered under the Federal
Civil Works Administration and made very
much needed improvements in connection
with its school plant. By a vote of the citi-"
zens the brough was bonded to its limife
which was $16,000.00 for building purposes.
Though there was considerable verbal opposition,
the vote, when counted, showed a
sentiment of four to one in favor of improvements.
Plans were secured, a C. W. A.
project was approved, work was begun, and
when the work was completed there had
been added to the already existing eight-
room brick building, three fine new classrooms,
a directors' room, an office for the
principal, and a much needed auditorium,
sixty by one hundred two feet. The total
cost of these improvements was about
The schools of the borough were graded
in 1847. There were at that time two
schools in the stone building aforementioned,
and a primary school was conducted by
Mrs. L. M. Sterrett in her dwelling, now
the stone house owned by Frank Ott,--,tast
The first high school for McConnellsburg,
and the first in the county, was opened in
the Thomas Comerer building in 1898 with
Harry E. Gress as teacher. Later the high
school occupied the Clevenger building now
used as a dwelling and is occupied by G. C.
Fields family. This building was 'us'ed 'until
1908 when all the schools were moved'to the
new building on North Second Street.
McConnellsburg maintains a senior high
school in connection with its graded schools.
There are four teachers in the first eight
grades, and six teachers in the high school.
At the opening of the term in 1934 this
school began a Vocational Home Economics
Department. This year, 1936, a Department
of Vocational Agriculture has been provided
for, begining September 1936.
The first school in what is now lfZion
township was established in 1844, but'was
soon discontinued because of lack of attend
ance. A second school was established inn
1852. There appears to be no official record
for the location of these schools. Later in
1877 there is record that Union township
had four one-one schools for the education
of children. At the time of this writing there
exists the same number of schools. They
are known as Fairview, near Amaranth; Center,
near Buck Valley; Barnes Gap, near
Northcraft; and Harmonia, south-west of
Northern Brush Creek opened two schools
in 1837 and 38. Some years later, two more
schools were added, but one of these, which
was located in the northern end of the district
was-discontinued. Southern Brush
Creek which remained a part of Bethel until
1864, had two schools in 1837.
In order that the puipls of this district
might h'ave more equal opportunities; in
1935, the-board of directors provided a transportation
route through the entire district
from Akersville south, upon which students,
who desire, may daily reach the high school
Thompson township was separated from
Bethel in 1849. In 1874 there were in
Thompson township six schools. Three
years previous one had been closed because
of insufficient pupils, but was again opened.
For a good many years prior to 1874 this
district had maintained six schools. There
are, at this time, six one-room schools in
the district. At one time there were seven,
but the one near Sharpe post office, Independence
by name, was closed and the children
are transported to Center which is near
Plum Run. Most of the students from this
district enter high school at Hancock, Md.
In all that territory known as Bethel,
now Bethel, Thompson, Union, and that
part of Brush Creek known as Whip's Cove,
there were but eight schools in 1834.
Dublin"Township which included Taylor
township until 1849, established schools in
accordance with the new school law in 1837.
Five schools were opened; one at Burnt Cabins,
one at Ft. Littleton, and the other three
in what is now Taylor township. Of the
location of these latter schools we have no
Dublin township through the following
years increased the number of schools as was
necessary to accomodate the growing number
of children. At one time, about 1909, this
township maintained eight schools. A close
check-up showed that several of them had
very small enrollments and the movement
of consilidation was begun by first closing
one and then another until in 1928 when a
fine-consolidated school building wes erected
at Ft. Littleton. To this building all the
pupils are being transported. There are
three teachers in the six lower grades and
three in the Junior High School which consists
of grades 7-8-9-10. The high school
work is mostly completed in Taylor township
As above stated there were three schools
in Taylor township established in 1837. Others
were added until there were located at
various points within its borders eight one-
room schools. Seven of these are still
maintained. One has been closed and the
pupils are transported. In 1925 this district
established a township high school. The
first two or three years it was assembled in
the first floor of the P. 0. S. of A. hall in
Hustontown. In 1927-28 a fine four room
brick high school building was erected and
the school transferred to it. This school atop
the hill just west of Hustontown, is a first
class senior high school and draws students
from Wells and Dublin townships and from
After the adoption of the Free School System
for the State in 1834, much more interest
in schools was manifested. It however
was not unanimously favorable to better
schools. There was no classification worth
while and very little, if any, supervision for
a number of years, until the department of
County Superintends was established. For
the most part just four subjects were taught
-Spelling, Reading, Writing, and Ciphering.
At that time 36 schools existed having 36
teachers, within the county. As the population
increased in some sections and decreased
in others, the number of schools and the
location of them varied from time to time
until the number of teachers employed
reached a maximum of eighty-seven, most of
them in one-room schools.
To-day there are in Fulton County 34 one-
room schools, two two-room schools, five
graded elementary schools, and five high
schools. There are 20 teachers employed
in the graded schools and 21 teachers in the
Since about 1909 rural districts have been
studying more carefully the advantages of
school administration, and as a result the
spirit of consolidation took hold in several
of the rural districts. From consolidation
the idea moved on to one-of centralized
district schools. Bethel, Licking Creek, Dublin
and Belfast townships now have consoli
dated schools. To these schools the children
are being transported in motorized
busses at the expense of the district.
Bethel township maintains a four year
senior high school along with its graded
elementary school. This institution is housed
in a fine brick building located near Warfordsburg.
This school was organized in
1928. In addition to the regular academic
course, the board of directors has wisely provided
for a Department of Vocational Agriculture
which will be available at the opening
of the term 1936, and will mean much
to the boys in this section of the county.
This fine building contains eight rooms
and a large auditorium. The board this
year has spent much money and effort in
making improvements to the building. The
entire ground has been graded and the inside
of the building has been completely
painted. There was also a new roof put on
the building. The first one being defective.
Licking Creek township erected a combined
consilidated elementary school and
Junior-Senior high school in 1927. This
school is located at Green Hill along the
Lincoln Highway about one mile west of
Harrisonville. This school gives the students
of the district an opportunity otherwise impossible
in many instances. It offers to the
boys and girls both General Home Economics
and General Agriculture. The building
contains eight rooms and a large auditorum.
With all this space available there is now in
some of the classes a very much crowded
After the establishment of the Department
of County Superintendents for the entire
State, school conditions improved more
rapidly. Supervision and instruction of a
better type added much to the better education
of the pupils;
The office of County Superintendent-was
not a very lucrative position at -the -time
of its adoption and for quite some-time afterwards.
The first superintendent received
an annual salary of $-200.00. This compensation
was and has been -increased from time
tow time. At the present time salaries- are
regulated by State Law.
The first County Superintendent was Reverend
Robert Ross who served one term.
John S. Robinson was then elected and
George A. Smith finished his term by appointment.
W. A. Gray then served one
term. Professor J. F. Davis was then elected
and John A. Woodcock was appointed
to finish his term. Following in order from
then were Hiram Winter, H. H. Woodall,
Jos. F. Barton, B. W. Peck, Clem Chesnut,
Charles E. Barton, B. C. Lamberson, J. Emery
Thomas, Horace M. Griffith, and B. C.
Lamberson, the present incumbent. _
Centennial Group -1886
MRS. MERRILL W. NACE
HE HISTORY of any locality can cover the mountains and dot the valleys can
be pretty accurately described by its supply charcoal, and the bituminous coal
economic development. F u l t o n
County, in the words of one of its
historians has been "singularly unemcumbered
with capitalists". From
the time when tne first settlers picked their
way gingerly through the deep woods looking
tot water, until today wien we watch the
worid s trattic Bowing past our doors, kulton
County has enjoyed a purely agrarian development.
We live close to the soil securely
rooted in the pioneer tradition, watching
nlte harvests come with the slow turning ox
the seasons, hearing scarcely more than an
ecno or the uproar in the universe around
ihe mineral wealth of Fulton County has
never been exploited, due, in large measure,
to its isolated location, and the inaccessability
or the known deposits. Agriculture has
been our primary occupation trom the earliest
periou or small, stump-filled clearings
until this era of the machine. With the
inevitable logic of the frontier, the manufacture
of leather developed as a second industry.
The county was dotted with smithies;
there were also lumber mills and grist
mills. One historian, in his enthusiasm to
do honor to the thrift and ingenuity of the
early settlers, says they established woolen
mills also. This may have been an overoptimistic
view of the situation since these
cannot have been more than enlarged cottage
There has always been a tantalizing possibility
that the county might develop into a
mining center. Men have rollowed will-'o-the
wisp dreams of great wealth that have led
them into morasses of bankruptcy but not
of disillusionment. Writing in 1876 Captain
James Pott of Pott's Mills insists: "The
great element of the future wealth of this
county lies in its vast store of minerals, as
yet scarcely developed further than to demonstrate
its existence. Iron ores abound everywhere
in great profusion-hematite, fossil,
pipe micaceous, and others-but the
richest veins and deposits exist in the eastern
portion, from the Maryland line to the
northern end of the county, while in all
parts are found rich deposits of different varieties.
The dense forests of timber which
fields in the northern part of the county, the
coke for smelting the ores in unlimited abundance.
(We point out that Captain Pott's
dense forests are mainly a thing or tre pas.,
partly because o0 wasrerul lumoering operations,
and partly because or destructive Iorest
frles.) Dickey's Mountain, in the southeastern
part ol the county, is exceedingly
rich in hematite and fossil ores, while Lowry's
Knob, at the northern terminus or Dick'
ys Mountain, six miles south of viCi,
nellsburg, is a mass o0 richest hematite ore,
and the same is found in diuerenC parts
of the contiguous valley and surrounding
Captain Pott describes the foundation of
the Hanover Iron Works "beginning as far
back as 1827, and coming down to 184/,
located at a point nine miles south of Mc-
Connellsburg, where exists the best water
supply in the county. For a time business
boomed; hematite from Lowry's Knob one
mile away was hauled to the works where
two furnaces and two forges were in constant
operation. Ironically, fossil ore in
Dickey's Mountain was not discovered until
1841, when the mining industry had fallen
upon evil days." The utter destruction of
the iron business was completed in 1846-47,
at which time operations at these establishments
were suspended, and the works finally
abandoned-"lhe result," remarks Captain
Pott bitterly, "of the free trade traffic of
1846, and not from want of either ore or
W. Scott Alexander, Esq., writing for the
old Philadelphia Sunday Times, 1895, continues
lyrically where Captain Pott leaves off,
"Both the iron ore and coal remain practically
undeveloped by reason of the absence of
railroads; but give the county railroads, and
it will blossom like the rose. No county in
the state affords a richer field for development
than does the county without a railroad
. .. . There are millions in it, and the
inhabitants of counties with abandoned coal
mines, dry oil wells, and timberless hills can,
with a frown or a smile, seek the county awaiting
In addition to these homelier metals, silver
in some quantity is said to lurk some
where in the fastnesses of Fulton County's
mountains. There are fascinating tales of
old mines used by the Indians, discovered
by the whites, and then forgotten. Here
and there men more visionary than wise,
spent heart-breaking years searching for the
old diggings. Nothing of any consequence
was ever unearthed.
This preoccupation with minerals has
been, with one or two exceptions, outside
the routine of daily work. Farmers, millers,
blacksmiths, tanners, merchants, bakers, lawyers,
doctors, ministers, bankers pursued the
even tenure of their days without wasting
overmuch time dreaming of wealth underfoot.
Save for several abortive attempts to
establish factories, and one scandalous gesture
in the direction of a railroad, business
enterprises have been conducted on a scale
suitable to the needs of the county. As a
result, there have been no labor disturbances
and comparatively little unemployment; no
great wealth but little dire poverty.
Pioneers built mills even before they felled
trees or cleared land for their own cabins.
Since bread and hoe cakes formed a substantial
part of the settlers' diet, these flour
mills were the center of activity in each tiny
The flour mills were always built along
some stream of water large enough to guarantee
a never-failing supply of power to
turn the heavy stone rollers. After such a
stream had been located, a saw-mill would
be erected on the stream above the site chosen
for the mill. A raceway would be excavated,
if possible at a little falls, to serve
both the sawmill and the flour mill. Remains
of these old sawmills can be located
near almost all of the pioneer grist mills.
When the immense rafters of the mill building
had been heaved into place, the burr
stone would be rolled into its base. (These
stones were usually imported from France
and were installed at the expense of untold
effort. Such a stone can be seen at the
old Maun or Hoke Mill one-half mile below
McConnellsburg). The establishment
would then be ready to begin its rumbling
labors to supply the settlement its staff of
Beside serving to stimulate trade within
the community; the early grist mills also
made possible the establishment of other industries.
Farmers brought grain to be
ground on the understanding that one bush
el in ten should belong to the miller. This
flour and any surplus that the settlers themselves
might have was shipped out of the
settlements to the seaboard markets. Since, at
best transportation was slow and cumbersome
grain was almost always ground, packed
into wooden barrels and carted down to
the nearest market. Some of it was hauled
in Conestoga wagons clear to Baltimore:
Since these barrels were needed for the storing
of grain, the colonists had to make their
own or do without. Cooperages were built
to supply the barrels, which were hand-whittled.
These cooperages were usually set up
below the grist mills along the streams.
The old Brewer Mill on the Tonoloway
is perhaps the oldest mill in the county, although
this is uncertain since no exact dates
exist. There is a tradition that the Widow
Kendall, one of the first of the settlers in
the Big Cove, carried her grain to the mill
slung before her on a horse. Leaving her
older children to take care of themselves she
set her youngest child on the grain bags and
rode steadily for two days. She was in the
habit of staying at the mill until the flour
was ready for her to take home. This would
argue the existence of a mill older than the
Hunter Mill built in 1812, or the Humbert
Mill, for which a deed exists dated 1813.
Space does not permit us to go into detail
about the founding of these first grist mills.
All of them, whether on the Tonoloway, the
Licking Creek, or the other little streams that
thread the county, played their brave roles
in the growth of our community.
Duffey's Mill -Built 1812
The Huntet Mill (known as the Duffey
Mill today) was built by William Hunter
about 1812. His son David Hunter enlarged
and remodeled the original mill about
1827, a necessity since the Cove road had
changed its course slightly and now ran behind
the mill instead of in front of it. The
original mill stone still stands in the Duffey
Mill, although for some years it has not been
used. The Humberts built the Maun or
Hoke Mill on land bought from David
Scott who had a Proprietary grant to the
tract. In 1842, David Hunter, the grandfather
of Mr. Hunter Patterson also built
the mill now operated by Lewis Crouse.
In 1847, a mill below Big Cove Tannery,
formerly an iron foundry, was converted into
a flour mill. There was also an interesting
mill on the Nesbitt farm. Other well-
known mills in the county are the Hershey
Mill at Knobsville and the Baldwin Mill
at Ft. Littleton, the Bergstresser Mill at
Waterfall, and the Layton Mill at Warfordsburg,
not much of their histories has
One of the best histories of the County
informs us that "next to agriculture the principal
industry of the county was at one
time the manufacture of leather." There
were tanneries at Emmaville, Franklin Mills
and Saluvia. There were also tanneries owned
by Lyon and Patterson at Wells Tannery,
the Robinson Tannery at Big Cove
Tannery, and the Greathead and Wagner
Tannery in McConnellsburg. These tanneries
were among the best in the state; they
did a big business. They used only oak for
-There is little space to tell of the crossrcads
stores and the inestimable services
they have rendered the county. Traders are
e-v-r in the van of civilization; merchants
with established business follow. About
them villages spring up and prosper as the
merchants prosper, or wither as the merchant
No consideration of the financial and industrial
history of the county would be complete
without reference to the growth and
expansion of business within the confines of
these mountains. The expansion of our
banking system provides an excellent example.
Since the dawn of history, metals such as
gold, silver, copper have been used as a
medium of exchange to facilitate commerce
between countries. A more cumbersome
system was necessarily employed by the
American colonists because of the scarcity of
cash money. The colonists used an odd assortment
of shillings, doubloons, Spanish
dollars, lire, or any other odd coin that happened
to drift into the exchange. There was
no certain standard of value, so the settlers
made their own. They saw few coins from
one year's end to the next. A shilling, once
in a man's chest or safely buried under his
hearth-stone, was likely to stay there until
forced out into the thin trickle of currency.
The barter system was adopted as a logical
expedient. Farmers traded wheat, corn, po-.
tatoes, dried apples and cherries,. butter and
eggs for the few staples they required: salt,
dress goods and coffee. Grain was ground
by the miller for a percentage of the flour
(I bushel in 10.) This system of barter was
more or less satisfactorily employed until
the middle of the nineteenth century when
conditions changed and the old way became
more of a hindrance than a help. Farms
were producing a surplus so that the farmer
had a balance of trade in his favor. It
was often an inconvenience and always a
danger to carry money long distances from
market to the farm. Due to the peculiar
isolation of Fulton County, a man was dependent
upon his firearms or his muscle if
he happened to meet a highwayman. He
could, of course, allow his balance to accumulate
in another community, but that
scheme was also not without an element of
insecurity. It became apparent that what the
county needed was a bank.
Accordingly, in February of 1887, the first
bank was organized. This was a private institution
owned and.operated by D. B. Nace,
W. H. Nelson, B. M. Lodge, Geo. J. Pittman,
J. Nelson Sipes, Wm. A. Kendall, and
A. U. Nace, the only surviving member of
the original organization. The articles of
organization called for a capital of $10,000.
On account of the scarcity of cash in the
county, the capital employed for the first
three years was only $3,000. The total assets
at the opening were under $9,000. Not
until 1895 was the capital increased to the
full amount of $10,000. B. M. Lodge was
the first president and D. B. Nace, the first
cashier of this bank, which hopefully opened
its doors for business in a small front
room of a house owned by D. B. Nace.
The First National Bank was later built on
the site of this old house.
At this time, mails in Fulton County were
daily brought in from the east in a two
horse wagon. Locally, they were carried on
foot. All business letters were written by
hand, many with home-made quill pen,.
McConnellsburg was a tiny village almost
entirely isolated in winter by the combination
of ruinously bad roads and the uncertanties
of horse flesh. Horses, pigs and cattle
roamed the streets and alleys. Street
crossings were unknown and only the agile
could avoid dust and puddles. Highway departments
were blessings to be disclosed by
the future, as were water and drainage systems.
Women cooked and scoured and spun,
with or without the assistance of hired girls.
A brave soul here and there may have
thought of voting, but not many of them
weighed the subject seriously. Women's
rights were pretty generally understood to
be suspended outside their doorsteps.
Throughout the county the only thriving
businesses were saw -mills, tanneries, smithies,
wagon-makers' shops and the cross road
stores. These required capital and actual
cash to operate.
So, with all the proper signs in conjunction,
the first bank was launched by men
with faith enough in the future of Fulton
county to risk investing their pooled resources
in an institution that could serve the
financial needs of the community. In those
days every man knew his neighbor. The
first bank was more than a counting house;
it was a place where advice could be sought,
business matters discussed, and the financial
policies of the town and county determined.
Woe betide the shiftless person who applied
for a loan from that small $3,000 reserve.
The canny men responsible for the bank
were quick to notice character worth and
equally quick to detect untrustworthiness.
So well was this bank conducted that dividends
were regularly paid through good
years and bad.
By 1906, the volume of business in the
county had increased to such an extent that
a number of the business men felt the time
was ripe to establish another bank. Therefore,
the First National Bank was organized
with a capital of $25,000. The Fulton
County Bank increased its capital to $50,000.
Both banks paid their first interest on time
deposits. Stimulated by this change as well
as by prosperous agricultural developments,
banking expanded so rapidly the old quarters
of the two banks were too limited to accomodate
the business. The Fulton County
Bank erected a large brick structure, while
the First National Bank remodeled and enlarged
the original building.' Both banks
installed new and up-to-date burglar-proof
vaults and modern equipment.
During this period, conditions in the
country were rapidly changing. The United
States, having recovered from the tragic and
needless destruction of its Civil War, had
become a mighty nation. The frontier had
disappeared under the driving energy that
is characteristic of the American people. Industries
flourished in all parts of the country;
an era of unexampled wealth and prosperity
seemed about to dawn upon deserving
mankind. The World War precipitated
an avalanche of horror from which we shall
not soon free ourselves.
The people of Fulton County met the obligations
of war bravely and fully. They
sent their strong young men into the army.
They concentrated their efforts on raising
food supplies. Both banks met every obligation
and demand during this trying
time. Both subscribed for Liberty Loans
and Victory Bonds. Their customers bought
more War Saving stamps per capita than
any other county in the state.
After the war, the banks were in good condition,
for both rest on the solid foundation
of conservative banking principles. Not
even the historic Bank Holiday of 1934 disturbed
their equilibrium. All the banks in
the country were ordered to close while
Goverment officials inspected bonds, investment,
loan, and deposit lists. Both Fulton
County banks were speedily given clean bills
of health; both re-opened on the appointed
day. The county is justly proud of the integrity
that characterizes these institutions
that today have banking resources of over
two millions of dollars.
One hundred and fifty years have 'passed
since Daniel McConnell cut up his land
grant to plots and named the site McConnellsburg.
These flowing years have brought
pain and frustration as well as joy and satisfaction.
Through prosperity and depression,
Fultonians have remembered the high
ideals of the loyal men who worked to achieve
a measure of security for their fam
ilies, for their children and their grand children
unto the third and fourth generation.
We, who possess this proud estate, look with
confidence into the future.
The Observance of the Sesqui-Centennial
Fulton County Home Coming
McConnellsburg, Fulton County, Penna.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 2, 1936
Regular Sunday School and Morning Worship services in the Churches of the
community with visiting guest speakers.
P. M. in Memorial Square, McConnellsburg, Unveiling and Dedication of a
Marker and Bronze Tablet, erected in honor of DANIEL McCONNELL, who
laid out and founded McConnellsburg, April 20, 1786. Marker and tablet
erected and placed by the Fulton County Historical Society and the McConnell
"The McConnells in History"-Mr. R. Kirk McConnell, Esq., Greensburg, Pa.
"The McConnells of the Great Cove"-Mr. Walter R. Sloan, McConnells
P. M. in the McConnellsburg School Auditorium
Concert on Hammond Electric Organ
Union Church Service with sermon by Bishop Francis J. McConnell of New
York City on the theme, "THE PIONEER SPIRIT".
Special music by the Wells Valley Male Quartet.
MONDAY, AUGUST 3, 1936
10:00 A. M. Baby Parade
2:00 P. M. Mummers' Parade
P. M. Base Ball Game
at the Fair Grounds
Antique Exhibit -Ox Roast -Band Concert
8:15 P. M. Mammoth Historical Pageant "Time Marches On" dramatizing the
history of Fulton county through the past one hundred and fifty years and more.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 4, 1936
10:00 A. M. Band Concert in Memorial Park Forum
2:00 P. M. Base Ball Game
4:00 P. M. Firemen's and Military Parade
Attractions at Fair Grounds
8:15 P. M. Historical Pageant "Time Marches On" followed by display of Fire
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5, 1936
9:00 A. M. Old Timers Reunions
10:00 A. M. Fulton County Teachers' Reunion. Music by the Portage High
School Band of Portage, Pa.
P. M. The Sesqui-Centennial Parade with floats and marching units depicting
historical scenes of the county and the March of Progress.
4:00 P. M. Base Ball Game
Attractions at Fair Grounds
8:15 P. M. Historical Pageant "Time Marches On". Display of Fireworks.
The Sesqui-Centennial Committee of McConnellsburg
"TIME MARCHES ON"
The Historical Pageant of Fulton County, Pennsylvania
Arranged and Staged by The John B. Rogers Producing Co., Fostoria, Ohio
Place of Performance -___ Fulton County Fair Grounds, McConnellsburg, Penna.
Pageant Master ---------------------------------------------W. Ray Booth
Associate Director ----------_ ------------------------…Jessie C. Richardson
Pageant Chairman _______-------------------------Elizabeth Patterson Neeson
Co-Chairman -_____--__----____________________________-Mary Logan Nace
Historian ______--_--_--_______---------------------------Mrs. M. W. Nace
Popularity Contest -------------------------------------------T. M. Shimer
Publicity -__________ Rev. Wm. J. Lowe
Music ____________________________________________ Nace
Choral Director _--___________________--_-----------------Mrs. Wm. Walker
Rehersal Accompanist -------------------------------------Marion E. Morton
Promotion -____--______--_--_____________--____-___Dr. Karl Hoffmeister
Secretary ______--___--______--_____ _--______I-----Mrs.
--T. M. Shimer
Ticket Chairman -__--__----____--_--_--________-__-__--Rev. A. A. Price
Finance -__________--____--__________--____--__________--B.C. Lamberson
Grounds -_______--______--____--__________--____-------------H. H. Peck
Wardrobe Mistress _______--_--________--------------------Miss Emma Sloan
Talent ---------------------------------------------------------Ruth Kirk
Master of -Properties ___----_--_____________--___________-------H. C. Peck
The curtains slowly part at'the sound of trumpets and the Queen of the Pageant,
preceeded by her Attendants enters and ascends her throne.
Following the Queen's welcome to the audience Miss Columbia arrives with
her fair daughters, the United States. Following the exchange of greetings, the
Queen and her Attendants, Miss Columbia and the States form a processional to the
Court of Honor to witness -the Pageant.
In the beginning was created the heavens and the earth,-the Mist, the Sky,
Land and Flowers-in the Dawning of Creation.
This will be interpreted in a beautiful and colorful ballet.
This scene will set forth a typical Indian village of Teepees and its usual daily
routine. On receipt of news that white settlers are approaching, the chief commands
that an expedition go out against them and true to tribal custom, the braves
engage in a war dance before leaving.
White Men Arrive
Scene I-This will show the arrival of the early settlers in the Great Cove,
the unloading of pack horses, the choosing of sites for their homes, the chopping
down of trees and the making of clearings.
Scene 2-An Indian raid, the taking of white captives and the destruction of
The Fate of the Packhorse Train
Trading with the Indians had been prohibited, but pack horse trains tried to
get through to the west with "warlike stores" for the Indians. The scene shows a
packhorse train being stopped, their goods destroyed and the traders turned back.
The Wilderness is Conquered
This scene represents the Spirit of the Wilderness at play, the Powers of the
River, of the Forest and the Mist Maidens dancing gleefully. Following this is
an allegorical scene showing the Pioneers of Fulton County overcoming the obstacles
that nature set in their way.
Scene 1-Shows a gay ball at which the guests dance the Minuet.
Scene 2-Brave men are assembling, training and drilling as friends and families
Scene 3-"The Spirit of '76".
Founding of McConnellsburg
Scene 1-Will depict the laying out of the town by Daniel McConnell and his
deeding of land to the citizens.
Scene 2-A village scene portraying the inhabitants going about their everyday
duties. The stagecoach arrives, horses are changed, some passengers alight and
others get in the coach and they are on their way amid the waving of good-byes.
A peddler arrives with a pack on his back containing light merchandise and notions.
Scene 1-This will show the people on their way to church.
Scene 2-A church service of the early days.
Strife Between the States
Scene 1-Shows a group of negroes, their day's work finished, singing the
Scene 2-Shouts of "The Rebels are coming! the Rebels are coming!" fill the
air; as do the ringing of the bells of the town. People run to and fro, plans are
made for protection, merchants move their goods.
One after another, in quick succession, we see the parade of vehicles from the
packhorse to the most modern cars, typifying the progress of transportation on
From several parts of the world come nationalities who give the dances of
their native lands and then join with others to form the "Wheel of Life."
Chas. B. Stevens, President Wilson L. Nace, Vice President
Thad. M. Shimer, Secretary Harry M. Johnston, Treasurer
Merrill W. Nace, Chairman Rev. William J. Lowe, Secretary
Hon. S. W. Kirk Mrs. James Anderson Mrs. Elizabeth Patterson Neeson
Prof. B. C. Lamberson Walter R. Sloan Miss Rheue Barrmont
W. H. Greathead, Finance
Miss Ella Kendall, Baby Parade
Lewis Largent, Military Parade Frank Stinson, Firemen's Parade
Miss Inez Fields, Mummes Pad H. E. Chestnut, Historical Parade
Mrs. Wm. Selser, u er arade Miss Ruth Woodall, Housing
Russell Nelson, Antique Exhibit
Ayr, James Kendall; Belfast, Levi Garland; Bethel, Denver Evans; Brush Creek, Marshall
Lynch; Dublin, Stull Baldwin; Licking Creek, Earl Metzler; Taylor, H. P. Barton;
Thompson, Harvey Sharpe; Todd, Cyrus Wagner; Union, Wm. Hendershot; Wells, HarryBumgardner.
The First National Bank of McConnellsburg
We are not one hundred and fifty years old but we do have a history. Through
these years of community progress the history of this bank has been woven into
the larger pattern of the county's development. It is a pleasure to look back over
the road the bank and the community have traveled together during this eventful era.
Our record of faithful service proves our dependability. The future will see us
measure up to our past reputation'for prompt and helpful service to depositors.
An act of Congress has ushered in an added security which insures all deposits up
to and including $5,000. WE CARRY THIS INSURANCE.
OFFICERS:-John P. Sipes, President
B. Frank Henry, Vice President
W. Nace, Cashier
Geo. S. Grissinger, Teller
DIRECTORS:-John P. Sipes, B. Frank Henry, Peter
Morton, Tobias Glazier, William Hull,
D. E. Little, Geo. S. Grissinger, Harry
M. Johnston, David W. Gress
THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK
Ayr Township's Arch-Centennial 1886
Left to Right on Horseback-Major Frank Hess, Dr. P. McCauley Cook, David Kendall, James Kendall,
Reed Sloan, William Sloan, Geo. Tritle, Capt. Geo. W. Skinner, Hon. D. H. Patterson, William-Pittman.
FULTON COUNTY NATIONAL BANK
50 Years of Banking
On the anniversary date of the Sesqui Centennial of McConnellsburg, this bank has served
the people of Fulton County to be exact, forty nine years and six months.
On April 1, 1906, the date on which the First National Bank opened for business, our
resources were $151,721.64, since this date, in thirty years, our resources have increased to
over a MILLION DOLLARS, and in this same period of time we have paid interest to our
depositors in the amount of $325,000.00, all expenses, losses and depreciation, due to depression
years, with $260,000.00 net earnings for the stockholders of the bank.
We feel the confidence imposed in this old financial institution by the good people of Fulton
County, which is greatly appreciated, comes to the bank on its record.
Deposits Insured by the
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Maximum Insurance for each Depositor $5,000.00
FULTON COUNTY NATIONAL BANK
Surplus and Profits $132,000.00
McConnellsburg Water Co.
JUNE 8th 1900
E. R. SCHOLLENBERGER, Pres.
George W. Hayes
The Store of DependableService Since 1865
Appreciating the Patronage of the past and Soliciting Your Future Patronage
Atlantic Refining Co.
W. R. DUNLAP
REFRIGERATORS and ICE
West End Garage --Gulf Service
Fields' Sanitary Barber Shop
East of Fulton House McConnellsburg, Pa.
Welcome Inn Wesley W. Mellott
FRUITS GREEN GOODS
R. N. STEVENS, Prop. GROCERIES
Refreshments of all Kinds
LINN MOTOR SALES
CARS & TRUCKS
DEPENDABLE USED CARS
McConnellsburg, Penna. Phone 9002
Lloyd W. Mellott
The Unfinished Business House Wiring a Specialty
Men's Club Electrical Supplies of all Kinds
M. W. Nace Call or Write for Prices
W. L. Nace
W. R. Sloan
Phone 15R3 McConnellsburg. Pa.
John M. Spangler
Glenn R. Spangler
Hakold C. Welsh
Leslie W. Seylar West End Restaurant
A Good Place to Eat
Wells. H. Greathead
Every One Welcome
George R. Reisner
Every Thing to Eat in Season
Edward H. Reisner
Professional Chef Service
Dr. John L. Neil Open from 5 a. m. to 12 p. m.
Mrs. Oral E. Cooper, Manager
i USED RETREAD
The Only Complete Low Priced Car
R.& G. Motor Co.
McConnellsburg, Pa. Phone 9009
Lodges' Variety Store
House Furnishing Goods, Toys,
HOME MADE ICE CREAM
Ice Delivered any where
PAUL KNEPPER, Prop.
Suits & Furnishings
--. ... ..
D. E. Crouse
Webster Mills, Pa.
Frank I. Mellott
New Hat and Dress Shoppe
Mrs. Roy Kendall -:-McConnellsburg, Pa.
Fred S. Fisher
Mrs. Elizabeth Neeson
Tel 37 McConnellsburg, Pa.
0. & T. Store
30 Minutes with Davy Jones...and Back to
"It's almost midnight," writes Frank Dryden. "A strength to see me through. Because they were
terrific wave comes over and sweeps me with it over
fresh when the mate boughtthe side. I freeze to the flashlight I'm holding, but them, I am able to give you
I'm dressed for heavy weather. Oil-skins and sea-my story today."
boots are pulling me under. To get out of them I
NATIONAL CARBON CO., INC.
have to hold the light under water. Ifit goes out, so
30 East 42nd Street
will 1. But I have to take that chance ... Then the
New York, N. Y.
whistle blows .. .They can see my light!
"For 30 minutes I fight to stay afloat .. . Every
minute I expect my light to go out . .. a shark to EVEREADY
devour me. Then the ship manoeuvres alongside.
It's too rough to launch a boat.. . they throw me a BATTERI ES
line ... somehow I get it around me. Once on deck
I check out, and my shipmates tell me they have to
pry that flashlight out of my fingers .. .And, by the ii ARE FRESH
way, it was still burning. After months cf daily
shipboard use, those Eveready batteries had the BATTERI ES
Once more the DATE-LINE is a LIFE-LINE
I MEAN EVEREADY DATED
i BATTERIESTHE KINDLY
4 THAT CAN TAKE IT
& ISEE YOU L;<
D.A. Washabaugh K. J. Hleming Wibles'
Lumber Electric Station
Coal Welding Gulf Products
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
KENNETH GLAZIER, Feed Store
SEEDS, FERTILIZERS --FLOUR, GRAINS
Phone 23R5 McConnellsburg, Pa.
WIBLE'S HOME -FOR TOURISTS
McConnellsburg, Pa. Mrs. A. L. Wible, Prop.
EXCELLENT ROOMS -HOME COOKED MEALS -PRICES REASONABLE
Six years before the death of George Washington, wise men and women were spending
days and dollars at this hotel. Four presidents of the United States and every governor of
Pennsylvania since the Revolution have been its guests.
THE FULTON HOUSE
With all its 143 years, the hotel is modern in every respect. Its meals are unexcelled,
its rooms are comfortable, its grill is the most unique in Pennsylvania. Its service equals
that of the best. That is why wise men and women will and have patronized this old hotel.
Roofing, Steel and Felt
Washing Machines, Voss and Boss
Thanks For Past Patronage
MORTON & HARRIS, Prop.
Your Best Value
"The Purest Kind"'
For Every Occasion Try This Dependable "Quality"
COAL -LUMBER -STONE
Lime Dust for Agriculture Purpose
Crushed Stone, of any Size, on hand at all times
Phone 12R3 McConnellsburg, Pa.
THE GREAT ATLANTIC AND PACIFIC TEA COMPANY
For Over Thirty Years
A Symbol of Quality
Products are Sold.
Gulf Oil Corporation
Groceries, Poultry, Eggs
Maryland Motor Co.
Full Line of Kasco Feeds
The Home of Good Flour
and Good Feed Since 1812
C. R. DUFFEY
Webster Mills, Pa.
D. E. Little's T. J. Comerer
Hardware, Farm Machinery & I
Restaurant and Rooms Furniture I
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
3 THE FULTON DEMOCRAT Nelson A. Comerer
The Old Reliable Home Paper
Established 1850 RADIOS ':-Sales Service I
Thad M. Shimer E.V.LYNCH, Agency
INSURANCE GENERAL INSURANCE
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
Modern Ca6ins ReFreshments
ON SIDELING HILL MOUNTAIN
ON ROUTE 30
JAMES A.TRUAX RI. C. WIBLE
Distributor of j
GENERAL MERCHANDISE BEER & ALE
Needmore, Pa. Phone 33R3 McConnellsburg, Pa.
THE REXALL STORE I
Serving The Public
For 28 Years
L. Wb SEYLART
W. H. Nesbitt THE IRWINS STORE
HARWARE -FARM IMPLEMENTS
For 56 Years of Continuous
SPEED QUEEN ELECTRIC
STOVES AND FURNACES John A. Irwin
--. In Business Since 1892 McConnellsburg, Pa.
-Karl S. Hoffmeister, D.ID. S.
Short Orders -Regular Meals -Sandwiches
Schlitz on Tap
REASONABLE PRICES -LINCOLN WAY EAST -McCONNELLSBURG, PA.
FULTON ELECTRIC LIGHT, HEAT,
GRISSINGER & MORTON
Located in Old Stouteagle Store
Fresh and Cured Meats always on hand
Full and Up-to-date Line of Groceries Milk
Our Motto: To Please the People
R. N. SHIMER Compliments of
Up-to-Date Tailor Paul S. Shimer
Cleaning and Pressing
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
John Mentzer Compliments of
Attorney-at-law 0. L. Greathead
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
Trouts Drug Store Compliments of
Full and Complete Line of Drugs Inez Fields, R. N.
McConnellsburg, Pa. McCormellsburg, Pa.
Crosley R. C. A. Philco Zenith Gruno
Perfection Oil Stoves and Ranges
Crosley Gruno G. E.
KeroSene Perfection Electrolux
Rooms -Meals Frd W Id Compliments of
| Refreshments Fred WIlds
The Lincoln Electrical McConnellsburg
Lunch . Fire Company
Mrs. A. J. Rotz and Repairing Jacob Clevenger
A Good Place to Eat
Beside Chevrolet Garage
McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa. McConnellsburg, Pa.
Lewis F. Largent, Commander
If You Served America YOU BELONG IN THE
In Any Foreign Campaign VT hW X/V
.0 _Z' --s
Post Membership No.-_____________________
To The Adjutant Post No.-_____________________
I hereby apply for Active Membership in the Veterans of
Foreign Wars of United States
Present A ddress --------------------------------------Married
Nearest Relative --------------Address_----------L--
Country Where Foreign Service was Rendered___________
Foreign Service from ----------------to _________
Served with ------------------------------------------Company
&Regiment, Ship or Station
Were you Wounded ---------------------------------
.If -wounded, when, what Engagement, in what manner
. and degree
I have ( ) have not ( ) been a member of this organization.
If a former membher give date, name, number and
location of Post to which you belonged -------------
Clothing -For all the Family Business Established 1883 by J. Kendall Johnston
HARRY M. JOHNSTON
Shoes, Underwear, Hats and Caps, Dresses, Dress Goods
Guns and Ammunition, Trunks and Suit Cases, Rubber Footwear, Notions, Rugs
Phone 9014 McCONNELLSBURG, PA.
FORD V-8 for 1936
Authorized Ford Dealers extend greetings and congratulations to the people
of McConnellsburg on this gala occasion, and invite your inspection of the Ford
V-8 for 1936. Owners' records show that the Ford V-8, the only low-priced car
with a V-8 engine, is the most economical Ford car ever built. A demonstration
of its fine-car performance incurs no obligation.
Authorized Ford Dealers
D. M. Morton Rummels Restaurant Carmack Store
Big Cove Tannery McConnellsburg McConnellsburg
McClain Motor Service ISAIAH MELLOTT
H. C. McClain,
Undertaker & Embalmer
DODGE and PLYMOUTH Prompt Service
Repairs to all Cars AMBULANCE SERVICE
LADIES REST ROOM
3-A TOWING SERVICE
Coal -Lumber -Wood
In Market at all times for Paper Wood
Pa. Call 9006 McConnellsburg, Pa.
Subscribers of This Program
We as the Committee Thank you for your General Cooperation
Financially. Thereby enabling us to Present to the People of
Fulton County and Vicinity a Book that will Live in their Memories
for Generations to Come. Again Thanking you.
H. E. Chesnut,
R. B. Regi,
Committee on Program
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project