Alum Bank - Pleasantville Borough, situated in West St. Clair Township, on the road leading from Bedford to Johnstown. This office when first established was located in what is now East St. Clair Township near the residence of James B. RININGER on the famous "Alum Bank." The town contains two tanneries, foundry and machine shop, stream flouring mill, steam saw, shingle and lath mill, two saddlery and harness shops,
cigar factory, weave shop, two blacksmith shops, wagon maker shop and a number
of smaller industries; five churches, six stores, two schools, and Odd Fellows'
hall, a hotel and about seventy-five residences. Distance from Bedford 15 miles north.
Artemas - Situated in Mann Township, was named in honor of Artemas BENNET the first resident of the place. It has two churches, one school, two stores, a chopping mill, saw mill, blacksmith shop, repair shop and seven or eight residences. From Bedford 35 miles, southeast.
Baker's Summit - In Bloomfield Township, contains two stores, wagonmaker and smith shops, church, school house and about twenty private residences. From Bedford 25 miles north.
Bard - A station on Bedford Division of Pennsylvania Railroad, in Harrison Township - contains a store, blacksmith and wagon shop, school house, about fifteen private residences and a flouring mill near by. From Bedford 14 1/2 miles by rail, southwest.
Bean's Cove - In Southampton Township is located in a narrow though rich farming valley tween TUSSEY's and EVITT's mountains. From Bedford 20 miles southeast.
Bedford - Bedford Borough, the county seat of Bedford County, is beautifully situated on the Raystown branch of the Juniata River, near the centre of the county. Owing to the elevated position of the town and its being surrounded by mountains, the location is most healthful, the drainage excellent, the air invigorating and the water unsurpassed. The scenery from various points in and about the town is extensive, varied and beautiful. The principal attractions are the mineral springs which with the features already named, have, for years past, given old Bedford the prominence she enjoys as a summer resort. Bedford, however, is richer in past history than in present enterprise. Having already passed her one hundredth mile stone, the recital of her earlier years would require much more time and space than can be here given; a few facts however are necessary to give even an outline of her interesting record.
The first settlement at the present site of Bedford was made about 1750 when a Scotchman by name of RAY (a corruption of MacRAE) built three cabins here, the village and stream both taking the name of "Raystown" which name as clung to the river ever since, but which soon gave place to the name "Pendergrass" and afterward to "Bedford" as applied to the town. The fort, about which clusters so much of tragic interest, was built by the vanguard of FORBES army in 1758. It was located on the south bank of the river above the present Richard Street iron bridge.
The borough was incorporated March 13, 1795; and whilst her growth has not been rapid at any period since that time, it has at all times been gradual until it now assumes not only the dignity of its years, but that of a town of considerable size; the present population being three thousand souls.
....During the recent past the town has added much to her wealth and greatly to her appearance by a number of large and useful buildings; notable the RIDENOUR Block on the corner of Pitt and Juliana streets, built in 1896, the county jail on the corner of Penn and Thomas streets, built in 1895, the four story steam flouring mill of H. H. LYSINGER on north Richard Street, built in 1898, and the BARNETT building on Juliana street, now
approaching completion. Our present railroad facilities are limited to the Bedford Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad which makes good connections, however, with main line service and over which is conducted a heavy trade. The borough boasts of a most excellent graded school building, eight churches, six of which are large substantial structures, two good banks, a keg factory, handle factory, two roller flouring mills, a foundry, steam laundry, shirt factory, three coach shops, six hotels, a number of boarding houses, about fifty stores, four meat markets, two good art galleries, four first class livery
stables, and all necessary smaller industries. The "Bedford Inquirer" and"Bedford Gazette" two of the oldest and best weekly newspapers in the state are here published. The "Hawkeye" lately established at this point published semi weekly, is advancing well into the field of journalism; and a local job printing office in another part of town does considerable work. There is also a well established high grad academy and a number of places in which private instruction is given in music and art.
Beegleton - A hamlet in Colerain Township with seven residences, small store and a flouring mill. From Bedford 9 miles south.
Belden - In that part of Bedford Township known as "Dutch Corner," has one store, ten residences, is in close proximity to two schools and one church, and is surrounded by an excellent farming community. Distance from Bedford 5 miles northeast.
Brumbaugh - In South Woodbury Township, on the road leading from St. Clairsville to Woodbury. At this place is located the distilling plant of S. S. BRUMBAUGH who also keeps a small line of groceries. Distance from Bedford 13 miles north.
Buffalo Mills - In Harrison Township, a station on the Bedford Division of P.R.R. The village stand on top of Buffalo Ridge which constitutes the water shed dividing the head waters of branches of the Potomac and Juniata rivers. It has two general stores, a grist mill, Odd Fellow's Hall, some small shops, a hotel and about twenty dwellings. From Bedford 14 miles southwest.
Burning Bush - In Bedford Township. The post office is kept at the residence of B. F. BOOR, 8 miles south from Bedford.
Cessna - In Bedford Township, on the Dunnings' Creek Branch of Bedford Division of the P.R.R., 6 miles north of Bedford, on the Hollidaysburg road. Has one store, tannery, roller grist mill, church, school house, steam saw mill, and 17 houses in the vicinity of station. Has no passenger service but is one of the heaviest shipping points on the Division.
Chaneysville - In Southampton Township is a flourishing little village, situated about 16 miles southeast of Bedford. It has two churches, two stores, two grist mills, two blacksmith shops, two wagonmaker shops, saw mill, one school house, shoemaker shop, hall, doctor's office, a hotel and twenty dwellings.
Chapman's Run - In Monroe township, 4 miles south from Clearville and 20 miles from Bedford.
Charlesville - In Colerain Township is one of the oldest villages in the county. It was originally called Rattletown. It has a good store, wagon shop, two blacksmith shops, a
school house and twelve dwellings. It contains the head office of the Friend's Cove Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company, incorporated January 2, 1878. Nearby are a church and a planing mill and wood factory. From Bedford 6 miles south.
Clearville - In Monroe Township 8 miles from Everett on a tableland lying between Ray's mountain on the east and Warrior's ridge on the west. It contains one hotel, a flouring mill, a wagon shop, two blacksmith shops, two churches, two schools and about thirty-two residences. From Bedford 16 miles southeast.
Cook's Mill - In southern part of Londonderry Township, on the Pittsburg Division of B O RR and on the Bedford Division of P.R.R., has one store, grist mill and ten dwellings. From Bedford 29 miles southeast.
Cruse - In Cumberland Valley Township. 16 miles south from Bedford.
Cumberland Valley - In the township of same name, about midway between Bedford and Cumberland. The name of the village is Centreville. It has the advantage of good schools, two churches, two stores, an Odd Fellows' Hall, two blacksmith shops, a chop and saw mill and about thirty private residences. It has one daily, one tri-weekly and two
bi-weekly mails. From Bedford 15 miles south.
Cypher - Located in Hopewell Township, about 1 1/4 miles from Cypher station. It has a steam saw mill, store, carpenter shop and a church. From Bedford 14 miles northeast.
Defiance - In Broad Top Township, has a hotel, two stores, several confectioneries, a good coal mine and about seventy dwellings. From Bedford 27 miles northeast.
Elbinsville - Southampton Township, 24 miles southeast from Bedford.
Emerson - In Monroe Township, 10 miles southeast from Everett and 18 miles from Bedford. A general store, and a smithshop, conducted by Sansom Mearkle Son are there.
Everett - The second town in population and first in manufacturing and business advantages, is situated on the Raystown branch of the Juniata River, eight miles east of the county seat. The Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad passes through the borough and affords the only railroad accommodations at present. The industries here are more extensive than anywhere else in the county. The larger being the iron furnace, glass works, steam tannery, foundry, planing mills, machine shops, steam flouring mill and two newspaper establishments, three barber shops, three butcher shops and one photo gallery. There are also three large hotels, eight churches, one bank, two school buildings, two lawyers, three dentists and four physicians. There are about four hundred and fifty
Evitts - In Cumberland Valley Township. 19 miles south from Bedford.
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project