Monuments and Historic Places


Bedford Springs Hotel

Public golf course

Address: Bedford PA 15522

Telephone: 814-623-8999

Located 2 miles south of Bedford on US 220 Business. The Bedford Springs Hotel, once known as the Carlsbad of America, was famous in the 19th and early 20th centuries for its medicinal waters and scenery. The Hotel served as President James Buchanan's summer White House between 1856 and 1860 and hosted summer sessions of the United States Supreme Court during the same period. The hotel stands as it was during the Buchanan administration; however only the 1924 Donald Ross golf course and clubhouse are open today. Efforts are underway to rehabilitate the property as a golf and health resort.


Captain Phillips' Rangers Memorial

Bedford County Chamber of Commerce

Address: PA 26 South, Bedford PA 15522

Telephone: 814/623-2233

Captain Phillips' Rangers Memorial was erected in 1926 to mark the mass grave of Rangers massacred by Indians on July 16, 1780. The Rangers, colonial militiamen, were under the command of Capt. William Phillips and opposed the British and their Indian allies during the American Revolution. The site is owned and maintained by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Peaceful setting. No visitor services or facilities.


Memorial Park of Bedford County

Sally Frear

Address: 910 South Juliana St., Bedford PA 15522

Located at the corner of South Juliana and John Streets, it was first deeded by the Penn Properties to the Presbyterian Church in 1766. The cemetery is part of the original Lukens Survey of Bedford, but by virtue of its size and convenience, it soon ceased to be used only by the Presbyterians, and became the town burying ground. Its first burial took place in 1772. Recognized as an integral part of Bedford's National Register Historic District, it remained in active use until 1879, when it was considered to be full. The last burial was recorded in 1920, within the Barclay family plot. Restoration of the gravestones began in the spring of 1995. Among the many distinguished early citizens buried here are Colonel Levin Powell of Virginia, a contemporary of George Washington and the founder of Middleburg, Virginia, who died in Bedford in 1810.


Ryot Bridge

Bedford County Tourist Promotion Agency

Address: 1.5 miles south of PA 56 at SR 4013/TR 559 (bridge]

Telephone: 814-623-1771

The Ryot Bridge is an 83.5 foot covered bridge of Dunning Creek built in 1868. It takes its name from a nearby town. Drive across at "Speeds No Faster Than a Walk." Public property.Accessible to vehicles.Scenery.


Snooks Bridge

Bedford County Tourist Promotion Agency

Address: .5 miles north of PA 56 TR508 (bridge)

Telephone: 814-623-1771

This 82 foot bridge of Dunning Creek was built in 1883. Public property. It is accessible by vehicle. Scenery.



Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project

 (c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project