The United Brethren Church at New Paris was organized in 1857, during the ministry of Rev. J. L. Baker, with a small membership. Mr. Baker held a series of revival meetings, and was very successful in gaining acquisitions to the church. In 1857 the members purchased an interest in the building belonging to the Evangelical church. In 1876 they erected a new church at a cost of two thousand four hundred dollars, which was dedicated by Bishop Edwards, of Baltimore. The house was erected while Rev. J. E. McClay was pastor. Present membership, seventy.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania, Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., p. 282 (Napier Twp.))
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project