St. Paulís Evangelical Lutheran church was organized in 1842. The cornerstone of the church was laid June 18, 1842. Rev. John Ellinger officiated in the services, and became the first pastor of the congregation. The building is of stone, and cost about two thousand dollars. The first elders of the congregation were Valentine Barley and George Plitt; deacons, Daniel Barley and William Reininger; trustees, Valentine Barley and Daniel Barley. Membership, when organized, twenty-four; present membership, seventy-one. The largest increase was in 1843, when there were thirty additions. The church is in Martinsburg charge. For list of pastors see history of St. Johnís church, Woodberry township.
(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 342.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project