St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, was organized, as nearly as can now be ascertained, about the year 1800. There are no early records. Among the first officers were a Mr. Black and Christian Miller. The first pastors of which we can learn were Revs. Osterloe, Cayler and Yaeger; their successors, Revs. R. Weiser, D. S. Altman, Wm. Ruthrauf, J. Kast, Wm. Kopp, J. A. Kunkleman, B. H. Hunt, J. H. A. Kitzmiller, J. F. Dietrich, Abel Thompson, C. B. Gruver and J. H. Walterick. The first church edifice was the old Union church mentioned in the history of the Reformed congregation. The present Lutheran church was built in 1848, at a cost of about one thousand eight hundred dollars. Present membership, one hundred and ten; sabbath-school, eighty-five. (Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset, and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania, Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 281 (Napier Twp.))
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project